BR Forums Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Samay
BRFite

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Post by Samay »

Xposted from ' India in south east Asia' thread from Strategic & political Isuues' forum

Such threads should be replaced with a common thread " Indian influence in Asia - Strategic and Political issues"
to decrease the overcrowded similar threads in the Strategic Issues' forum
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

to Mods, Some of threads are not visible on front page of Bharat-Rakshak after posting reply. PRC Political News and Discussion is one of them. I am not sure about other but It happened with me before and I logged in too.

Ankit
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Ankit Desai wrote:to Mods, Some of threads are not visible on front page of Bharat-Rakshak after posting reply. PRC Political News and Discussion is one of them. I am not sure about other but It happened with me before and I logged in too.

Ankit
That is because only military related new posts will show up the front page
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

Forgive my naiveness O great lords

Few queries. Have no clue whether to go to Newbee section to ask these or do that here.

1. If I want to share a pic , how do I do that.

2. Is there a thread on Air Guns already ? I couldnot find any but then IB4TLed is worse then being paraded naked on the streets.

Please guide.

VB
ps: By air gun I mean the kind that does not require a license and can be owned be civies like me
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

sharing pic : first post of misc pic thread

others, newb thread.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Upload them to image hosting websites like http://www.imageshack.us/ and post the link here
arunsrinivasan
BRFite

Post by arunsrinivasan »

Question to the mods, oldies, I noticed a thread about BR meet in Chennai. Do you have meets in other cities? If yes who is the best person to contact for organising a Hyderabad meet? Assuming enough people would be interested that is.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Start a thread, if possible you could just post it in chennai meet thread itself,
Samay
BRFite

Post by Samay »

Admins,
There are some features like private messaging,etc that are disabled ,how they could be enabled ?
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

Samay wrote:Admins,
There are some features like private messaging,etc that are disabled ,how they could be enabled ?
They are available only to the bradmins to torture the nanha mujahids :((
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

My Feedback

Post by Sanjay M »

I am concerned that forum moderation may be increasingly slanting itself towards toeing the ruling govt's line, and leaning against any criticism of the govt's actions.

When vital national security interests are at stake, then there must be no inhibition on criticism of govt policy. We are not the People's Republic of China, and should not be emulating their example.

There is ample potential in India's corruption-riddled politics for politicians and even ethnic groups to act against the national interest. I see warnings being made towards posters for even expressing criticism towards such ethnic vote bank lobbies, in the guise of "sekoolarism". Goodness knows, the concept of secularism is already much abused by the Left and their Thought Police.

How convenient that such censorship should fit the govt's needs, in allowing them to push their policies unscrutinized and unchallenged. I feel that strong dissent in the national interest is healthy and a basic right. I always provide supporting logic to back by arguments.

We cannot keep spraying perfume on manure to fool ourselves into thinking well of it. Moderators should also moderate each other.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Re: My Feedback

Post by RayC »

Sanjay M wrote:I am concerned that forum moderation may be increasingly slanting itself towards toeing the ruling govt's line, and leaning against any criticism of the govt's actions.

When vital national security interests are at stake, then there must be no inhibition on criticism of govt policy. We are not the People's Republic of China, and should not be emulating their example.

There is ample potential in India's corruption-riddled politics for politicians and even ethnic groups to act against the national interest. I see warnings being made towards posters for even expressing criticism towards such ethnic vote bank lobbies, in the guise of "sekoolarism". Goodness knows, the concept of secularism is already much abused by the Left and their Thought Police.

How convenient that such censorship should fit the govt's needs, in allowing them to push their policies unscrutinized and unchallenged. I feel that strong dissent in the national interest is healthy and a basic right. I always provide supporting logic to back by arguments.

We cannot keep spraying perfume on manure to fool ourselves into thinking well of it. Moderators should also moderate each other.
With all due regards to your views, I for one, would not agree that there is a slant to toeing any line.

It is our desire that the wordings are carefully selected and not off the cuff in anger, though one does understand the anger and anguish!

We are well versed, not only the Moderators, but more so the honoured posters, in the English language and most posters amaze me in stating things very abrasive, but so beautifully delivered. Totally silky! They say such great stuff that it requires immense research to understand what exactly they mean and you can't pin them down! Let us learn from them.

Even when critical issues relating to the nation are at stake, let our command of the language and procivilities not be at stake!

There is no Thought Police here, I assure you. We, the Moderators, debate issues out in our Forum and let me tell you there are dissensions that finally get resolved peaceably so as to protect the poster and his views! I am aware of such happenings and I am glad to state that it works.

I assure you, with all sincerity at my command that the Moderators love their country as much as you.

It is only some temperate words that we desire to show our distaste!

Believe it or not, Moderators are moderated by each other more viciously than what you are subjected to!

With your permission, may I use the most popular slogan running wild (saw a Spanish group singing it) - Jai Ho!
vardhank
BRFite

Post by vardhank »

Mods, can we have a thread where older BRFites go through military fiction and gauge it on accuracy? For non defence/ defence-industry people like me, much of our initial knowledge comes from fiction (Forsyth's 'The Fist of God' springs to mind), and we don't really have a way to tell whether the info in there is accurate.
ovein
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ovein »

MODs

I think we must have already thought about the options of creating some kind of search tool which will search for the relevant posts.

- first, Most of the the newbie (Like me!!),, just sometime not able to zero at the relevant thread. i found the time takes to sceoll through the pages is getting more more effort guzzling. a allintitle search will be helpful here.

- Second, we may also want to look for the similar content/post in the various foroums. this will protect us from getting some knowledge and will remove the duplicac of the talks.

Let me know if you already have something in the pipeline.

thansk and Regards
Abhi
ovein
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ovein »

MODs

India presently having a very nascent arms exporting industry. but we dohave a start now and we might go a long way on this. i could not find a dedicated thread on this, is this already exist?

if not please give me the permission to open one.

Thanks
Abhi
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

ovein wrote:MODs

India presently having a very nascent arms exporting industry. but we dohave a start now and we might go a long way on this. i could not find a dedicated thread on this, is this already exist?

if not please give me the permission to open one.

Thanks
Abhi
Check the Indian Exports thread at f=3&t=3425
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

about your earlier post, the current search option (top right corner) is pretty good.
or did you mean something else ?
ovein
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ovein »

that looks good enough for me. thank you.
Ted Kotcheff
BRFite -Trainee

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Post by Ted Kotcheff »

Mods,

Can we have some sort of reference manual about the lingo usage on BRF...

It took me a long time to crack DDM :oops: ...

For the sake of newbies, can some MODs post the commonly used acronyms and monikers used on BRF (say SDRE, Khan land etc)
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

BR does not toe, it keeps the powers be on toes!

BRF beats a new path and marches to a different tune

(otherwise I would have performed vanishing trick long ago)

Remember
"BRF where tomorrow comes today others await it to dawn"
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

A lot of posts on threads like the LCA thread, Indian Army thread are missing. Where did they go? Especially the LCA thread had a lot of interesting discussion.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Some admin was too hungry and ate it :D.

Must have been archived
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

I think we need a separate thread for Swine Flu... :((
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

"Personal Health, Nutrition and Fitness Thread" can be used, or the title could be changed a bit
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

Earlier the BR roundell (at the top, left corner) lead to BR homepage but now it's pointing to the forums page. Kind of liked it earlier and used it a lot. It was a nice feature for having updates on discussions. Is it deliberate or a side effect of new look?

Cheers....
arunsrinivasan
BRFite

Post by arunsrinivasan »

Tanaji wrote:A lot of posts on threads like the LCA thread, Indian Army thread are missing. Where did they go? Especially the LCA thread had a lot of interesting discussion.
They have been moved to the Trash Can Archive, & will be deleted shortly. I know this has been discussed a zillion times before, but I think these threads have very valuable information and should ideally be archived & not deleted. Is there a security angle or something else at work here, I would be surprised if it is due to bandwidth. Any of the mods care to comment.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Mods,
I know that the Psy-Ops thread was moved to the GD forum during the recent restructuring. But looking at the traffic postwise and viewershipwise, its getting a lot less look-see. Could we move that back to the Strat forum please?
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

^I second that.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

arunsrinivasan wrote:They have been moved to the Trash Can Archive, & will be deleted shortly..
No deletion is imminent.

Some of the threads there will be archived.

There is a function "Print view all posts in this topic" that allows forum members to save all the posts as a single HTML file on their local hard drive.

This doesn't work if the threads get too large. Once they approach 13+ pages, the function times out. The large threads (70+ pages) even cause problems in deletion. The forum goes offline for a few minutes (as if we were under attack) and delete fails.

So some of the larger threads were locked and a new thread made. The last page of the old thread was moved into it to maintain discussion continuity. The old thread will not be deleted for now. Those that cannot be print viewed will in fact be split into manageable chunks so that members can print view them and save personal copies.

This is in addition to the "official" archiving that will occur (eventually) with some of these threads.
arunsrinivasan
BRFite

Post by arunsrinivasan »

^^^
Many thanks for the clarification, the description on the Trash Can Archive says "All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month." So I naturally assumed they will be deleted, if that is not the case, can you please update the description. While I know that people can make a back-up on their local drives, it will better if these threads are archived by BR as it become much easier to search, and is available to a wider cross-section of people.
abhiti
BRFite

Post by abhiti »

I don't know why we link to articles like "03 Aug Other Sinking billions into nuclear weapons (Rediff)". This gives the author a lot of hits for free. I wouldn't encourage garbage reporters like Pakistani Bidwai.
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Post by Chinmayanand »

mods, can you please change my handle/username to dsingh ?
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

The username dsingh is already in use.

May I suggest one from the fine collection at
http://www.starpulse.com/Movies/Borat/Cast_and_Crew/

(Andrew DeCristofaro, Anthony Hines etc) ?
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Post by Chinmayanand »

Gerard wrote:The username dsingh is already in use.

May I suggest one from the fine collection at
http://www.starpulse.com/Movies/Borat/Cast_and_Crew/

(Andrew DeCristofaro, Anthony Hines etc) ?
Michael Douglas aka Gordon Gekko of Wall Street fame will do ... :lol:
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

RayC wrote:
Sanjay M wrote:I am concerned that forum moderation may be increasingly slanting itself towards toeing the ruling govt's line, and leaning against any criticism of the govt's actions.

With all due regards to your views, I for one, would not agree that there is a slant to toeing any line.

It is our desire that the wordings are carefully selected and not off the cuff in anger, though one does understand the anger and anguish!

We are well versed, not only the Moderators, but more so the honoured posters, in the English language and most posters amaze me in stating things very abrasive, but so beautifully delivered. Totally silky! They say such great stuff that it requires immense research to understand what exactly they mean and you can't pin them down! Let us learn from them.

Even when critical issues relating to the nation are at stake, let our command of the language and procivilities not be at stake!

There is no Thought Police here, I assure you. We, the Moderators, debate issues out in our Forum and let me tell you there are dissensions that finally get resolved peaceably so as to protect the poster and his views! I am aware of such happenings and I am glad to state that it works.

I assure you, with all sincerity at my command that the Moderators love their country as much as you.

It is only some temperate words that we desire to show our distaste!

Believe it or not, Moderators are moderated by each other more viciously than what you are subjected to!

With your permission, may I use the most popular slogan running wild (saw a Spanish group singing it) - Jai Ho!
You know what's really a shame - when the govt is trying to downplay Vijay Diwas and sweep it under the rug, and none of our "rakshaks" are even able to acknowledge it.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Sanjay M wrote:
You know what's really a shame - when the govt is trying to downplay Vijay Diwas and sweep it under the rug, and none of our "rakshaks" are even able to acknowledge it.
It does cause us anguish.

More so, when a alive leader like Minnie Mouse build statues to herself with 90 elephants around her!

Manish Tiwari (for once I agree with this man) said, that she suffers such insecurity that she believes when she is out of this world, there will no none to realise that she did nothing!

Interestingly, there was a Professor, (must be of her clan) who compared her to Gandhi! I am speaking of yesterday's Big Fight.

Man, how silly can one get?

One does not build statutes to oneself when in power. It is built bu a grateful people after one is dead and gone and the society feels that the person has contributed to society and the nation!

But then all the Maya has contributed to herself is her jewels and disproportionate income knowing fully well that the CBI can do fanny adams since she is a Harijan and it will cost the Congress votes!
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

Hi.
May I know the reason for low presence of foreign nationals on BR.
Except for 2-3 chinese I dont see much foreigners here. If there are then kindly let me know.
Any Israelis or Europeans?
Also on Avera I found out that more people from Qatar visit this site than UK. Are those NRIs only?
And just for the info sake, 2.6% people are from Pakland.
Last edited by Akshut on 13 Aug 2009 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Akshut wrote:Hi.
May I know the reason for low presence of foreign nationals on BR.
Except for 2-3 chinese I dont see much foreigners here. If there are then kindly let me know.
Any Israelis or Europeans?
Also on Avera I found out that more people from UK visit this site from Qatar. Are those NRIs only?
And just for the info sake, 2.6% people are from Pakland.
We have a few who mostly post on Military threads:

Johann is British
Jean_M is French
GeorgeWelch is American
Igorr is Russian
Uri is Israeli
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

avram and sadler are israeli, paulJI is brit(tho' he is AWOL for a long time)

there have been many other off and on foreign posters whose names I don't remember.