Kaveri & Aero-Engine: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Re: Kaveri & aero-engine discussion

Post by Sagar G »

manum wrote:I am seeing two extremes of "over confidence" and "innocence" in Sagar G and Dhiraj respectively...Though they both need to exchange their hats...

While I am going OT...but could not resist...
If refusing to join the abuse GTRE folks ilk == overconfidence then so be it. I'am very happy to be in this state you can keep mine as well as dhiraj's hat.

OT......but I also couldn't resist.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

who abused who?
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

pentaiah wrote:Boss Crucible experiment is for scientists, making it in industrial scale is the job of technologists.
All our titans of technologists come from IITs who promptly go to selling PG, or Lever brothers soaps or Goldman sacks (sacks of Gold) exotics swaps and derivatives ( developing models using fourier transforms complex variables etc learned in 4 years in IIT).

This growing crystals in testube or invitro is no good.

Strictly speaking we have everything except to work in public sector with the exception few gems who dont care about pay and do it for the love of what they do and learn.

NFC has zironium alloy plant to shape alloys
Midhani has French collabration and Russian collabration for advanced alloys
DMRL has some of the most exotic machines ( this was in 1980s, now even better)

we need some leadership and people who can do things as technologists, instead of waiting for complete solution for the integral like ML Khanna books (with enough printing mistakes to menatlly wreck you)

I had long back suggested failed Kaveri will make an excellent UAV engine
Gentlemen,

I have a slightly different perspective on this matter and feel compelled to add my 2 cents. I graduated from IIT in that much maligned discipline - metallurgy/materials science, and needless to say, my career path is radically different. Reasons are as follows:

15 years ago, when I was in IIT, there was a clearly established pecking order:

Tier-I junta:
CompSci [ranks 1 - 100]
Elec [ranks 50 - 300]
Mech [ranks 200 - 600]
ChemE [ranks 400 - 800]

Tier-II junta:
Meta/Aero/Civil [ranks 1000 - 1600]
MSc Chem [ranks 1500 - 2000]

One must ask why this is the case. Why do JEE 1 - 100 make a beeline for CompSci as opposed to Meta? I can hazard a guess after having been a student of Meta for 4+2 years, and then making a switch to Semiconductor Manufacturing

(1) Career Opportunities/Growth: CompSci provides an engineering student the quickest/easiest path to economic prosperity, by virtue of being a growing field and offering virtually limitless opportunities...highest ROI for the average dude

Case in point, the google and facebook founders were unknowns until their conceptually simple products hit the market. Then boom! before you know it, they're billionaires

(2) Cost of Doing Business/Operations: CompSci needs a PC/Laptop costing Rs. 50k at max. A well equipped Meta lab with heavy duty tensile testing machines, metallography supplies, casting/welding equipment, SEMs, TEMs, High power hydraulics/High capacity furnaces for Powder Metallurgy, etc is a mega investment running in the millions. Even in the US, it is a super expensive proposition

Case in point, in the US, I was able to run X-ray diffraction every 24 hrs on a new sol-gel powder sample (only 1 machine...5-10 students waiting list). Whereas in IIT, I used to have to wait 2 weeks for my turn on the solitary XRD unit (downtime and skilled mechanics were also a constraint, in addition to capacity)

(3) Feedback/Satisfaction: CompSci unlike Meta offers the prospect of immediate feedback. Write code, run, test, debug, and voila...working product. Not so much in Meta...the satisfaction is delayed, and very often not visible. I have personally experienced a higher degree of satisfaction when I created some jugaad software for capacity modelling, when compared to an innovative sol-gel generated ceramic powder that would be used to make high strength electrodes that would then be used to make solid oxide fuel cells which would ultimately power a submarine

Case in point, I spent over 2 years working on optimizing a sol-gel process to get the right composition for above application, and associated materials characterization. With the benefit of hindsight, I can consider it 2 years of totally irrelevant and non-productive work. I should have probably been doing image processing - at least the feedback would have been quicker

(4) Lack of Commercial Applications: There was a saying in college "There's only 2 kinds of people in Meta...those who are out of it, and those who want to be out of it" :-)

A large number of Meta students in the US land up in Semiconductor Manufacturing for a very simple reason - Commercial Applications. Unless you're a US citizen who desires entry into the strategic defense sector via Lockheed/DARPA etc, the most viable job opportunities for a Meta student are in the Semiconductor Manufacturing industry (people purchase laptops, hence chips)

Back in the late 1990s, 2000s, or even today, the Indian strategic defense sector is not mature enough to absorb core Meta engineers...after all, they will demand good pay on par with their CompSci compatriots. Note however that good pay is reserved for those people making applications that sell in the market. No wonder 1/3 of my batch went abroad, 1/3 went to Infosys, and 1/3 went to consultancy, oil & gas, etc

In a nutshell, you simply cannot compare India's progress in CS/IT to fundamental materials research:
- Meta is not going to attract the best (dedicated to Meta) talent; at least not in the numbers that can make a difference
- Meta research costs an arm and a leg, and the output is decades of painfully slow results
- Meta results are therefore the crown jewels of the research funding agency's kitty, and they will NOT give it to you for love or money

The very idea that an Ambani/Tata company will do better than GTRE is laughable. The Indian private sector has neither the commercial viability, nor the patience, nor the patriotism to indulge in fundamental materials research. That push can come from the government alone.
manum
BRFite

Post by manum »

See Sagar...

If you think its only you who can write...and get away, more Power to you...

I have seen enough repetitive posts of this nature of defending GTRE and other organization...But it does not mean they are not at fault...nor it means anyone who is asking obvious thingy, such as private sector involvement is a stupid idea...Even if it is coming from a child 2 years old.

We are far removed from the processes of the organizations concerned...so if we are speculating and discussing...Nothing is removed from possibility...

It'll be easier if you tinker your mould of obvious assumptions...
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

+1 to titash's post. I will cross post it in the FAQ thread in due course
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

okay, the push can come from the government alone sounds nice on a contextual scale where you measure everything based on some economic scale where it measures based on the inputs from private is absent, etc.. but a question: what if the gov says, that they have given a chance for you to estimate, build, and re-estimate and build, say 3 times or more and finally conclude that the push was not given, because we did not achieve, would that be right?

how do you determine to say the gov did not push? what if GTRE did not estimate well, manage things well?.. ask for results, etc. There are various ways to save the project, and look at from the establishment point of view, rather technical resource brain availability etc. The same engineers IITians are employed by other DRDO labs (IGMDP) who have done tremendous job for the same pay scale, like a GTRE folk would have got. I don't think this can be written off like saying push has to come only from gov.

The push has to come from people, org, product development folks, engineers, managers, users, customers and even you and me & DDM. It is a total push management.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

titash,

Thanks for the 2 cents.

Q for you: Based on what you know (and perhaps what you can read in this thread), can India build an engine within a reasonable time frame, if funds were not the issue?

I am not talking of new research. I am talking of looking at a (stolen?) SCB and mimicking it (to the last atom?) and replicating similar core technologies for an air craft "engine" (one that will fulfill all requirements for an engine for the LCA/AMCA). You get the picture I hope.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

NRao wrote:titash,

Thanks for the 2 cents.

Q for you: Based on what you know (and perhaps what you can read in this thread), can India build an engine within a reasonable time frame, if funds were not the issue?

I am not talking of new research. I am talking of looking at a (stolen?) SCB and mimicking it (to the last atom?) and replicating similar core technologies for an air craft "engine" (one that will fulfill all requirements for an engine for the LCA/AMCA). You get the picture I hope.
NRao, we have been through this before. Even if you got the blade sample and an entire engine, you cannot reverse engineer. In addition to the material , the production process R&D itself is a big thing.

For eg, you could put the material in a mass spectroscope or something and find out it's composition. But can you make the material consistently on a large scale? Okay, even if you make the material, can you cast it in the required shape and dimension etc and fabricate it? It is very difficult to do both. And then comes the final step of copying the design and cloning everything as is.

If this was so easy, why the Clone Meisters,the Tarrel than mountain brothers would have cloned the Al-31F and the CFM-56 and every engine they have in their possession and would be selling them for peanuts around the world and putting them on every plane they have!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

vina wrote: Even if you got the blade sample and an entire engine, you cannot reverse engineer. In addition to the material , the production process R&D itself is a big thing.

For eg, you could put the material in a mass spectroscope or something and find out it's composition. But can you make the material consistently on a large scale? Okay, even if you make the material, can you cast it in the required shape and dimension etc and fabricate it? It is very difficult to do both. And then comes the final step of copying the design and cloning everything as is.

If this was so easy, why the Clone Meisters,the Tarrel than mountain brothers would have cloned the Al-31F and the CFM-56 and every engine they have in their possession and would be selling them for peanuts around the world and putting them on every plane they have!
And in fact any time any airline buys any airliner they are getting 2+1 or 4+1 engines that the buyer nation is welcome to take apart and subject to spectroscope, cinemascope, proctoscope and kaleidoscope. But it ain't gonna show exactly how it was made. What temp, what pressure and what starting materials. And the human workmanship and finishing that went into it. That is knowhow. Nobody sell this.

It has to come from within, no matter how long and how much. And it won't come without the much and long being devoted.
Arunkumar
BRFite

Post by Arunkumar »

shiv wrote:Dhiraj this has been discussed for so long that I have made many posts on the issue of aero engines - maybe I should collect them up and make one big post on the FAQ thread.
+100. With kaveri almost there the baseline now is TET and manufacturing process.
manum
BRFite

Post by manum »

All obvious's have been told...of why not private players...

1. Government has public money, range of issues except profit only.

2. Government has pool of resources...enough gap to absorb sock of failure even after huge money investment...to restart the effort.

3. Failures and successes...responsible for both remain anonymous.

4. Government has established pool of researchers in government colleges...who can be suffled at jobs...

5. Private sector is profit oriented...seeks definite results...has penetrated shallow in serious researches due to various stereotypes...has to show results to investors/shareholders.

If there is anything left please add..

Why government does not let private sector in its processes...is itself a case study...

But since we know government has great lead in few processes...hence private sector is dumb is not right assumption...

What I am saying...if an ex IITian says this is my world view...does not mean its entire elephant...

We have motivated players in private sector...they will/can play a small to big role...if redtape is removed....

Though I am waiting for GTRE to succeed...

edited later for grammar...
Last edited by manum on 01 Feb 2013 14:03, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

nobody I know back in college Meta (17 yrs ago passout) ever went into Meta. everywhere but Meta is where they are now ranging through mba, software, sales, mkting...one guy even did a phd in philosophy and teaches that now.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

>>>>

Nice singhaji.

Well out of 40 batchmates in my batch in meta.

4 did MS -PHD including me. Right now I am not working in meta. The remaining three are...one is computational materials, one composites, one for hard drives magnetic materials.

Now;

Remainder 35. 2 in steel plants. 1 steel plant then MBA. Two in petroleum related companies. So that makes a total of 5

All in all, 20-25% of my batch is still in meta...or at least stuck to it in the first few years out of college.

Many folks will be doing MBAs and switching fields majorly. Oil companies to Consulting for example.
Last edited by member_20292 on 01 Feb 2013 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I am not meta but talking of my batch passouts. nit-w 1995
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

Thanks for the 2 cents.

Sirjee, I am no expert on aero engines, but I have been through the process of Meta related product development. I am looking at the problem through a process development engineer's lens

You need 2 things for a process development cycle to bear fruit:

(1) Money - to buy process equipment, test equipment, facilities, chemicals/gases, and "consultancy". The Chinese have plenty of money too

(2) Knowledge - big problem here! Both GTRE and the Chinese have a knowledge gap. You can overcome this by either (a) hiring "consultants", or (b) hire new employees who have the knowledge

Our knowledge gap exists because we are late in the race and need 25 years to catch up. Additionally, there is a dearth of top notch talent in Meta by default (at least in numbers). The top notch guys that we need are in CompSci or Elec. That is not to say Meta guys are stupid (at least I used to take offence at those suggestions :-) 15 years ago). However, the leapfrog / breakthrough creating Einsteins are missing

Regarding "consultants"...you would have to pay over the top $$$ over a significantly large period of time, with the permission of the host country, to make this work. The only 3 times in history this happened IMHO is (1) when the UK shared the Whittle or rather the Rolls Royce Nene jet engine technology with the US and the USSR, (2) when Germany was defeated in WWII and Kurt Tank/Messerschmitt/Brandner were mercenaries available for hire, and (3) when the Soviet Union collapsed...although their "consultants" weren't able to get the Chinese up to speed. As I mentioned, no country will share their crown jewels

Regarding hiring new employees...where are you going to get them from? The desi talent pool is very shallow as I explained, and I don't see US/British/French Meta experts lining up to work for GTRE

So, going back to your question...India can and has already built an indigenous aero engine - the Kaveri. The problem is that western aero engine technology has progressed further, and the new benchmark is much higher than what the Kaveri can deliver today, and it will take 10-15 years to catch up

So how do we get around it? One way would be to play to our strengths. You don't need to produce a world class engine if you design an aircraft around the existing engine. If you choose this route, you might end up with a <lower> kinematic performance fighter. However, can that be compensated by other factors where India has world beating skills such as CS/IT...better avionics? stealth? superior numbers of cheaper low maintenance fighters? UCAVs? I don't know all the answers, but someone in the IAF's "30-year look-ahead" strategy department needs to do these simulations

You cannot cut-paste and re-create an aircraft engine to the OEM's specifications for the simple fact that you don't know the process of fabricating its most critical Meta components. It's the same reason why we don't have a foundry making cheap copies of Intel Core i7 chips in India

Basically HCL/Dell can assemble laptops given the imported Processor/Memory/Circuit Board components, but cannot build one ab-initio. HAL runs into the exact same problem with the AL-31 and will face the same problem with the M-88 in future
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

^^^^

and thus, all of my batchmates from eye eye tee...have made the decision to be top notch in their fields, far and away from India, let alone a governmint of india enterprise.

Brain drain here, is a real problem. Forget getting other outsiders for money. We cant even lure our own !

The folks that I knew in Indian meta....were all top notchers located at places like eye eye Sc. I will bet REAL MONEY that GTRE does not talk as much as it should to IISc....and thus even low hanging fruit are overlooked.
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

Just wondering did India ever thought of having a joint Engine development with Russia or taking Russian help for Kaveri... :?:
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

pandyan wrote: very interesting post titash. I have met several meta guys in semiconductor...but even they are not too happy because sometimes fundamental materials research happen at the companies that supply materials to the bigger companies. the meta guys in large companies end up overseeing the work of smaller companies. also, have met several aero guys working on semicon heat transfers etc.
That is true sir. I can imagine Chemists/Meta guys coming up with compositions for CMP slurries as well as LAM/AMAT etch processes. A lot of the ab-initio process development is done in conjunction with the OEM

Several Aero guys find jobs as packaging engineers (thermal fluid/heat transfer simulation work), etc. Funny you should mention it...I met one such gentleman for lunch yesterday
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

SaiK wrote:okay, the push can come from the government alone sounds nice on a contextual scale where you measure everything based on some economic scale where it measures based on the inputs from private is absent, etc.. but a question: what if the gov says, that they have given a chance for you to estimate, build, and re-estimate and build, say 3 times or more and finally conclude that the push was not given, because we did not achieve, would that be right?

how do you determine to say the gov did not push? what if GTRE did not estimate well, manage things well?.. ask for results, etc. There are various ways to save the project, and look at from the establishment point of view, rather technical resource brain availability etc. The same engineers IITians are employed by other DRDO labs (IGMDP) who have done tremendous job for the same pay scale, like a GTRE folk would have got. I don't think this can be written off like saying push has to come only from gov.

The push has to come from people, org, product development folks, engineers, managers, users, customers and even you and me & DDM. It is a total push management.
Sirjee, I have been through 7 managers in my career and many of them were the "make it happen; don't care how you do it" variety. This, I assume, is what you call push management. The reality is - it doesn't work very well even in a mature industry, let alone fundamental research. Our talent pool is shallow to begin with, and is underpaid compared to industry. Demotivating your employees is the last thing you need

More importantly, you are asking the engine design / fabrication crew to overcome 50 years of western headstart, zero collaboration with peers (because no one will share info), and a lack of funding for test and fabrication facilities

The point to consider is that the product development folks, managers, customers are unable to offer what is needed most...technical assistance. The fundamental problem is a knowledge gap, and throwing money at this problem will only work if you can purchase "consultants" or hire new employees with the knowledge. Both of these options are unrealistic as far as aero engines go
manum
BRFite

Post by manum »

so you are telling persist with GTRE...in the current context...

That we are already doing...
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

titash, that is exactly the reason I am saying reorg.. The management
managers in my career and many of them were the "make it happen; don't care how you do it" variety.
sagar g, this note is FYI.

Note: ishikawa [japanese model/product quality guru], said: if managers don't do the right work for quality, it does not happen.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

Good post titash and agree with all of you say but I would add that in real life things work a bit different.

For instance did Kalam, Saraswat, Avinash Chander et. al were trained as rocket engineers, probably not.

Most software engineers working today, were not trained in computer science but they don't fare any worse than the ones that were trained in computer science.

There are only a dozen or so eng/science degrees available but there are hundreds of very specialized professions that need domain expertise. Most people I know were not exactly trained in school for what they are working on in real time.

The way I have always explained it is that Physics, Chemistry and Math remains the same weather you work as ceramics eng/sci, mechanical eng, aerospace, automobile, rocket science or chemical engineering. So people with good base can seamlessly transition to different fields and build competency over time. I have at least worked in 4 different hard core research/engineering fields over last 15 years. This actually helps you broaden your understanding of problems and allows you to see things from many different angles.

This is going OT but I don't think the domain expertise is such a big issue, it's the lack of opportunity to work on higher end of technology in these fields that forces people to go look for other fields. 40 years back civil engineering used to be top choice, today its at the bottom. In those days computer science was considered a little better than a typist for IAS. So the preference changes to meet the market realities which is a good thing IMO.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

manum wrote:See Sagar...

If you think its only you who can write...and get away, more Power to you...
Yawn....
manum wrote:I have seen enough repetitive posts of this nature of defending GTRE and other organization...
Same goes for the group indulging in :(( each and every time there is some news about a setback.
manum wrote:But it does not mean they are not at fault...nor it means anyone who is asking obvious thingy, such as private sector involvement is a stupid idea...
Sermons delivered million times before nothing new about this as well, this behaviour leads to thread derailment. And before delivering sermons people should do a little bit of homework instead of behaving as if they are the god gift's and the one's working are idiots.
manum wrote:Even if it is coming from a child 2 years old.
Not interested in taking lectures from a 2 yr old, maybe you are.
manum wrote:We are far removed from the processes of the organizations concerned...so if we are speculating and discussing...Nothing is removed from possibility...
That doesn't happen till the :(( are hammered down to silence.
manum wrote:It'll be easier if you tinker your mould of obvious assumptions...
It will be better if people start looking at both sides of the coin before passing judgements.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

nits wrote:Just wondering did India ever thought of having a joint Engine development with Russia or taking Russian help for Kaveri... :?:
Why would Russia (or any other country possessing the tech) create a business competitor ??? Think.....
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

Thanks for the 2 cents.

The answer to this has been best captured by shiv in another thread where something similar was asked, X posting....
shiv wrote:
Kailash wrote:A question. We have the original bofors and would definitely have disabled/cannibalized ones - is it not possible to study the % composition and microscopic structure and try to deduce the manufacturing process?
It's like looking at a roti and then figuring out which season the wheat was grown, how long the atta was rested after mixing, how much water was used in the mix, how long the mixing was done, the temperature of the tava at the time of making and the time taken. None of these can actually be figured out by examining the roti in minute detail.
and the next post goes further explaining what is required to be done....
Marut wrote:As doc lays it out, the only way is to make lots of rotis with different parameters and then record the outcomes to zero in on the combination that gives you the best roti. Translate that to guns and you will need deep pockets to go down this route. But the results will definitely be worth it. Maybe Bharat Forge or others are doing it already...
So a lot of roti's are going to be made till we find the one which suits our taste palette.
Last edited by Sagar G on 02 Feb 2013 00:35, edited 1 time in total.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

Problem with kaveri is the cooling components(materials that withstand extreme temperatures)

GTRE guys have been unable to make these alloys
Last edited by nvishal on 02 Feb 2013 00:45, edited 1 time in total.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

SaiK wrote:titash, that is exactly the reason I am saying reorg.. The management
managers in my career and many of them were the "make it happen; don't care how you do it" variety.
sagar g, this note is FYI.

Note: ishikawa [japanese model/product quality guru], said: if managers don't do the right work for quality, it does not happen.
Point taken but I believe with Kaveri it is now a question of tech gap than management, if your scientists/engineers aren't able to achieve critical tech breakthroughs then I don't see how management can fix that. Yeah you can bring in new people but by doing so we are back to square one and then can only hope that they will deliver in due time.

This is actually a very good question which can be asked to GTRE guys during this AI edition. What shall be asked is, Why is Kaveri's wet thrust below the target is it a problem with the design or material or is a deadly mix of both ???
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

Katare wrote:Good post titash and agree with all of you say but I would add that in real life things work a bit different.

For instance did Kalam, Saraswat, Avinash Chander et. al were trained as rocket engineers, probably not.

Most software engineers working today, were not trained in computer science but they don't fare any worse than the ones that were trained in computer science.

There are only a dozen or so eng/science degrees available but there are hundreds of very specialized professions that need domain expertise. Most people I know were not exactly trained in school for what they are working on in real time.

The way I have always explained it is that Physics, Chemistry and Math remains the same weather you work as ceramics eng/sci, mechanical eng, aerospace, automobile, rocket science or chemical engineering. So people with good base can seamlessly transition to different fields and build competency over time. I have at least worked in 4 different hard core research/engineering fields over last 15 years. This actually helps you broaden your understanding of problems and allows you to see things from many different angles.

This is going OT but I don't think the domain expertise is such a big issue, it's the lack of opportunity to work on higher end of technology in these fields that forces people to go look for other fields. 40 years back civil engineering used to be top choice, today its at the bottom. In those days computer science was considered a little better than a typist for IAS. So the preference changes to meet the market realities which is a good thing IMO.
Katare sirjee - thank you for your inputs; you make some very valid points - specially on the "good base" aspect. However, I disagree with your statement that domain expertise isn't a big deal

I guess what I am trying to communicate is that progress on the knowledge curve, for any domain, depends on (1) availability of literature, (2) availability of experimental facilities, and (3) speed of feedback. The IQ level of the student may be considered an independent variable having a Gaussian distribution

Under these circumstances, it is much easier for a newbie to make progress from 'zero' level to 'new product start-up/entrepreneur' level in the field of CS when compared to Meta. That is why most software engineers today, not originally trained in CS, are at par with CS students. Progress on the knowledge curve for the CS domain is made in the order of years

For aero engines (and more specifically their hot (Meta) sections), the literature is limited, facilities are expensive and facility design itself goes through several learning cycles, and of course the feedback time can range from days to months. "Creep" and "Fatigue" testing by definition takes time. Accelerated tests under high ambient conditions can only partially simulate real life long-term operating conditions. You must also iterate through several generations of aero engines to collect user feedback and make changes. Progress on the knowledge curve for the aero engine/meta domain is therefore made in the order of decades

More importantly, the criticality of the application must be considered. A flop software costs money, and (possibly) loss of face. An unreliable aero engine costs money, lives, and potentially wars. To put things in perspective:

(1) Unlike the allies who cranked out one powerful engine after another in WWII and migrated from Buffalos -> Wildcats -> Hellcats -> Corsairs, the Japanese were never able to replace their by-then-obsolete Zero's with a mass produced high performance fighter

(2) The Boeing 777 flies intercontinental distances with 2 high reliability engines. 20 years ago, no one would have risked flying across the Atlantic with less than 4 engines

On another note:

No disrespect to the fine patriots working in the IGMDP, but they went through their own growing pains of Project Devil/Valiant, 30 years of IGMDP, and more importantly, had spin offs from a civilian space program that was launching sounding rockets back in the 1960s. Also, one-time-use rocket engines are much simpler than high-MTBF air breathing turbofans. I must therefore conclude that mastering aero engines/meta requires significantly more domain expertise than aircraft, missiles, or space vehicles
pentaiah
BRFite

Post by pentaiah »

So its high temp withstanding alloys.

It is also difficult to machine high temp withstanding alloys,

I supplied a guillotine shear to DMRL which was required to cut Titanium alloys for Midhani.
At room temp the alloy sheet yield strength was way beyond the capacity of any shear (in our production range, had to be imported and its was in 1984/84 days of tech denail and also guessing by the not so friendly powers to guess what India was upto (just then IGMDP was started by DRDO, recall the hungama of Al tubes import by Saddam to fix him for WMD by Judith Miller and Scooter libby/Dick Cheney)

We had unusual problems to get the blades that would not become soft while cutting Ti Alloy sheets (because the Ti sheet stock was at high temp , so we had to develop our own blades, but then came the problem of hold down shoes which actually hold down the sheet from sliding while the guilitionne was traversing at an angle along the length of cut... so the hold down shoes had to be coated as well for hig temp withstanding as they are in contact with hot sheet and conduct heat to themselves......

the point is hig temp withstanding alloys and high temp withstanding (aka friendly manufacturing methods, investment casting, the moulds the sad the runners raisers , cores all which can stand high temp and also neutral to the molten component alloy without contaminating the component.

its heat transfer, mass transfer, manufacturing metallurgy science and the craftsmanship and technologist mind that need to synchronize the efforts its tall order, where some of the most creative ideas can come from ITI fitters, machinists and hands on kind of guys, the idea generators, the engineers scientists and technologists run with idea refine it optimize it to make it happen. its collaborative and complete partnership and managerial skill test at minimum. that’s Viswaroopam

Sorry for rambling (and spellings)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Other alloys for this purpose:

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/ ... -the-heat/
Niobium-Silicon (Nb-Si) Alloys
Molybdenum-silicon-boron (Mo-Si-B) alloys

some chaddi folks from desh is doing some great research!
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

Katare wrote:

OT;

Id like to get feedback from you on managing a career. How do I post my question to you ? email/ or some other sub forum here?
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

Sagar G wrote:Yawn....
ZZZZZ
Sagar G wrote:Same goes for the group indulging in each and every time there is some news about a setback.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Sagar G wrote:Not interested in taking lectures from a 2 yr old, maybe you are.That doesn't happen till the are hammered down to silence.
ohh.... main to dar hi gaya tha , yeh soch kar that it was for me :P

any ways : http://www.business-standard.com/india/ ... er/497740/
I am just using the link to use the quote by GTRE director and in no ways subscribe to the opinion or conclusion of the writer
“We are abandoning the plan for co-development with Snecma. We still need an overseas partner. But it will not be Snecma on a single-vendor basis. We will select our partner through competitive bidding,” says Dr CP Ramnarayanan, director, GTRE.

“To develop a more powerful Kaveri engine quickly and to become self-reliant in engine design, we need a foreign partner which can bring in core technologies. Otherwise the next cycle of engine development could take another 15-20 years,” admits Ramnarayan, frankly.

“We were planning to re-engine first 40 Tejas fighters with the Kaveri. But now they will continue to fly with the F-404 engine,” says the GTRE director
[\quote]

From the above quote it is just that no one is :(( , but it definitely means that after missing LCA , there is pretty good chance of missing the target for AMCA too . So two options :
1. Change the current approach even if it is good , just to make things better.
2. Or . De-link GTRE engine development project with any fighter development program, at least it will not create unnecessary expectation which is not good for either side.

Found a good link for Saturn engine development. Mostly in Russian though it has subtitles where around 5:40 it also talks about the work starting in parallel on the 6th gen engine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVJny6UL6V8
prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

Off topic but an interesting video. Wouldn't this make a great final year project for Mech/Aerospace students? :)
Also notice how the blades glow.

Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

mahadevbhu wrote:talk as much as it should
mahadevbhu wrote:
Katare wrote:

OT;

Id like to get feedback from you on managing a career. How do I post my question to you ? email/ or some other sub forum here?
Mahadev, Send me an e-mail r katare 23 at h0t mai1 d0t c0m, we can talk offline
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

This document on the Akash missile program gives an idea about the complexity involved in building defense equipment,

The design of such a liner system has almost taken 13 years for
perfection after five iterations. Since the booster propellant had to be a free standing grain, its mechanical
properties had to be higher to suite dynamic loads of transportation conditions. To achieve required
thrust-time profile to meet mission requirements under wide operating temperature conditions of -20 Deg
to + 55 deg, the burn rates have to be optimized by tailoring the ingredients and composition. Process had
to be frozen for realizing of booster propellant grains with finalized specification and consistency had to
be recorded and performance had to be evaluated through static testing at sub scale level and full scale
motor level. This activity calls for design of moulds, handling tools, extraction tools, establishing number
of facilities like mixers, blenders, sieves, storage facilities, ovens etc. The curing cycle had to be
optimized to achieve the required mechanical properties and performance parameters. Number of
debates / meetings had to be held at various stages and mid course alternate actions to be arrived at in
iterations and considerable amount of time.
Initially composite double based propellant was developed
and used for few development flight tests. However due micro crack development with respect to storage
time, booster grain with composite propellant had to be developed, performance was evaluated in various
ground / flight tests which finally met all mission requirements.
13 years just to arrive at the right propellant that can meet all mission and operating conditions.....and this for a missile.
They have mentioned that new equipment had to be made to get to this point. Iteration after iteration, meetings, co-ordinating etc.
Please also read about the radio proximity fuse in that document. Just to measure certain parameters was a challenge.
The Kaveri HP turbines will probably be in a far more hostile environment and getting the componenets to meet the demanding op. conditions is far more complex.
The problems are not with GTRE. The problems are with Indian metallurgical skills for the aerospace industry and are mostly technical in nature. We have reached a consolidation phase where we have a working engine. I think that is only just a good start!
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

One got to appreciate their persistence which created the required infrastructure else they wouldn't have released such confidential stuff for others to see. OTOH they should have outsourced the vehicle adaptation and related testing to private industry, would have saved them some time as the vehicles keep changing and its not Akash team's core competency.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Cross Posting
shiv wrote:No Philip. A per what I hear from your namesake AM Rajkumar, the Kaveri is working fine. There is a working engine there. The basic tech is sorted out. It needs some refinement and improvement. If I search I find many examples of engines developed in the 60s that now serve as the basis for modern fighter and civilian engines.
Well, it is working, but still not "fine" . The design wet and dry thrust is not achieved yet. Per what folks posted here, there was screech in the afterburner (not a very difficult to fix problem, even the F-35 engine had screech which got fixed) and vibration and other issues that will get fixed and the engine flown.

Your post about Midhani making the single crystal materials is incredible news . What it means is that we are over the hump and it is the easy downhill from here. The path got easier. The toughest part is behind us now.

To put it in perspective, we have jumped from Zero to 1990 (the progress after that has not been earth shattering and largely marginal as far as engines go , okay numerical techniques got better etc) in terms of tech (the Russians didn't have an ETOPS rated jet engine until very recently ,2000 or so, the West had it from 1980s)

The important thing is not to give up on the Kaveri but to start another engine program in parallel even as Kaveri is taken forward. Done properly there is every possibility of having a reliable family of engines based on Kaveri that could appear by 2020-2025.
Folks here posted (was it KaranM?) posted on Kaver MK2 at 100+ KN. Wonder what you heard about it. I think with the current over sized core, a scaled up low pressure spool will see us get there , once the core is fixed properly and the high temp materials from DMRL come through.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

"Your post about Midhani making the single crystal materials is incredible news"

Vina, sorry to nitpick, but could you repost that post about the single crystal materials breakthrough. I missed it, and can't find it. Thanks!
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

vina wrote:
The important thing is not to give up on the Kaveri but to start another engine program in parallel even as Kaveri is taken forward. Done properly there is every possibility of having a reliable family of engines based on Kaveri that could appear by 2020-2025.
Folks here posted (was it KaranM?) posted on Kaver MK2 at 100+ KN. Wonder what you heard about it. I think with the current over sized core, a scaled up low pressure spool will see us get there , once the core is fixed properly and the high temp materials from DMRL come through.
Folks heard about SCB first here much before AI 2013. The issue was poorly handled by the media who doesn't have the appetite to squeeze through to understand the happenings behind the scene. Now, Kaveri team moved further to next level. Hear this for the first time before any media or blog if suppose they could come with a story.

Point is the program is not stagnant and constantly evolving. So there is no question of giving up.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

It is not the question of giving up and silently working on it., while pakfa and rafale eat into the number game. same thing is happening to Arjun. If this is all well setup, then we need to reduce the number of imports. So, things are not right on the balance sheet...it will cause turbulence later if not now for all badly managed projects... while the firangs pocket in billions, when hard core desis sweat their pants for meager salaries in GoI establishments.