How to join the Armed Forces? - Recruitment Thread

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ASPuar
BRFite

Re: How to join the Armed Forces? - Recruitment Thread

Post by ASPuar »

^^^

@SROY:

IAF maintenance command is NOT commanded by officers from the Logistics Branch. It is commanded by officers from the ENGINEERING branch.

Please see this Air Force press note about the new AOC-in-C Maintenance Command:

http://indianairforce.nic.in/show_news. ... ews_id=635
Air Marshal Chandra new chief of IAF Maintenance Command

AIR MARSHAL JAGDISH CHANDRA TAKES OVER AS AOC-IN-C, MAINTENANCE COMMAND, IAF

Monday, 05 Sep, 2011

Air Marshal Jagdish Chandra has taken over as Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief (AOC-in-C) of Maintenance Command at its Nagpur Headquarters today, i.e., on 01 Sep 11.

Air Mshl J Chandra is a graduate in Electronics and Communication Engineering and a post graduate in computer technology. He was commissioned in the Electronics stream of IAF’s Engineering Branch on 08 Jul 1976. A versatile technical officer, he has a rich experience on a wide range of Aircraft Radar, Communication, Weapons and Information Technology systems of IAF. He is trained in France on Mirage-2000 Computerized Maintenance Management.

In his address to the Air Warriors of the Maintenance Command IAF on taking over the charge, Air Mshl Chandra said “The units of Maintenance Command have a vital role to play so that IAF retains its cutting edge in combat preparedness. Technology is advancing at a very rapid pace and the state of art equipment is under induction. In order to maintain aircraft and equipment with required operational efficiency, it is incumbent for all of us to quickly absorb the technology and new methods”.

While speaking to the Commanders, he further stated that having adopted the year 2011 as year of consolidation and maintenance, there is a need to identify areas of concern affecting operational assets, availability and evolve strategies to enhance logistical & maintenance support to operational unit.

Prior to assuming the responsibilities as Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Air Marshal held the appointment of Director General (Systems) at Air Headquarters. He has held various field and staff appointments as Senior Maintenance Staff Officer, South Western Air Command at Gandhi Nagar, Air Officer Commanding of a Radar & Communication Base Repair Depot at Palam, Command Signals Officer (Air) at South Western Air Command, Chief Engineering Officer at Air Force Station Hakimpet and Joint Director Engineering (Mirage 2000) at Air Headquarters. Air Marshal Chandra firmly supports Innovation, Indigenisation and Self reliance as Key issues for enhancing the productivity, maintenance standards and assets availability.

For his exceptional service, spanning over 35 years, he was awarded Ati Vishisht Seva Medal on 26 January 2011 and Vishisht Seva Medal on 26 January 1993. Earlier, he was commended by Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Central Air Command on 15 August 1988.

The Air Marshal is married to Mrs Sharmila and is blessed with two daughters, elder one a Paediatrician and the younger a Gynecologist. He spends time reading and loves proximity to nature. He is an avid golfer.
Last edited by ASPuar on 22 Sep 2011 01:50, edited 2 times in total.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

SRoy:

Heres the biodata of the immediately previous AOC-in-C Maintenance Command:

http://defencetech.in/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=54
Air Marshal PV Athawale AOC-In-Chief, Maintenance Retires

Nagpur 31 August 2011

Air Marshal Pramod Vasant Athawale, Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Maintenance Command retires on 31 August 2011 after 38 years of distinguished service to the nation. At the pinnacle of his illustrious career, the Air Marshal was appointed Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Maintenance Command on 01 April 2009.

Air Marshal Athawale was commissioned in the Electronics steam of Engineering branch of Indian Air Force on 02 July 1973. A graduate of Electrical Engineering from the University of Roorkee, he earned his post graduate degree in Computer Science from IIT Kharagpur.

Beginning as Engineering Officer in HF-24 Marut Squadron, he worked on to become Chief Engineering Officer of a MiG-21 fighter base, thereby gaining rich and varied experience in maintenance of various fighter and transport aircraft. An aircrew tenure on Super Constellation aircraft provided him valuable flying experience, which was followed with a stint in aircraft and system testing at ASTE, Bengaluru.

He has been credited with immense experience in Radar and Communication fields. Having held appointments in Microwave Communication units besides steering the Low Level Radar Networking Project as its Project Director, he finally assumed the appointment of Principal Director Ground Electronics at Air HQ.

Apart from work in engineering and systems, Air Marshal Athawale pioneered the software initiatives in IAF. In 1992, he established the Software Development Institute of IAF at Bengaluru as its first Commandant. Known as the porjects’ man, he has steered the vital projects of integrated Air Command and Control Systems and Air Force NET (AFNET) as the Asst Chief of Air Staff (Signals & IT) at Air HQ.

Before assuming responsibilities as Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, the Air Marshal held the appointment of Senior Maintenance Staff Officer, HQ Maintenance Command since 01 Defence 2007.

As Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Maintenance Command, he has implemented the concepts of Quality Management System (QMS) and Lean Engineering at the Base Repair Depots so as to optimize the efforts of the personnel towards improvement of Quality of Products at the Depots. He also initiated various welfare measures at Stations/Units under the Command so as to improve the quality of life of the Air Warriors.

For his distinguished services of exceptional order, he has been conferred with ‘Param Vishist Seva Medal, Ati Vishist Seva Medal, Vishist Seva Medal and appointed as Honorary ADC to the Honourable President of India. The Air Marshal has represented services in Ranji Trophy, besides being a competitive high level sportsman in many sports during his younger days. He is an avid golfer now.

Mrs Neelima Athawale has always been active member of Air Force Wives Welfare Association (AFWWA) in various capacities. She has contributed significantly in improving the quality of life and morale of air warriors and families. Air Marshal Athawale & Mrs Neelima Athawale were today bid an emotional farewell by all members of Maintenance Command.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

The officer who was AOC-in-C Maintenance Command Before AirMshl Athawale, was Air Marshal Nayyar.

Here is his info from our beloved BR:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Database/13024
Air Marshal Gautam Nayyar, an officer who started his career as an Engineering Officer at 3 BRD (Base Repair Depot), Air Force Station, Chandigarh has made it to the top of the Maintenance Command of the Indian Air Force as he took over as its Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief (AOC-in-C) at Nagpur today.

The officer belongs to Chandigarh as his parents settled in the city in 1971 and he got married in Chandigarh in 1977. He has also done a posting as Group Captain at 3BRD from 1995 to 1998. A keen sportsperson, the Air Marshall received his cricket coaching in his earlier days by none other than Shri DP Azad at Chandigarh.

Air Marshal Gautam Nayyar was born on 09 March 1949 at Mumbai. He is a second generation service officer as his father served in the air defence arm of the Indian army. He attended various convent schools spread across the country, and finally graduated in Mechanical Engineering from Osmania University in 1971. On 03 January 1972 , he was commissioned as an Aeronautical Engineer (Mechanical) in the IAF.

Beginning his career as an Engineering Officer, he has had rich experience in maintenance of various fighter aircraft of Russian and western origin. During his formative years in the IAF, the Air Marshal excelled in various appointments. As a young Flight Lieutenant , he was trained in Spain on retarder bombs. He underwent the special weapons course in 1980. In the mid 1980s, he was instrumental in induction of Mirage 2000 aircraft in IAF. The foresight and planning ensured smooth induction and flawless operation and maintenance of this fleet over the next two decades.

During his career, the Air Marshal served as senior engineer at a MiG-21 base, Chief Engineering Officer of a Mirage base and Command Engineering Officer of an operational Air Command. He was responsible in formulation of the "Aircraft Maintenance Manual" (AMM), which was eventually issued as IAPT. The manual has proved to be a bible for maintenance engineers of IAF.

The Air Marshal has held various field and staff appointments in his illustrious career. As Assistant Chief of the Air Staff (Engineering B) at Air HQ, he was responsible for maintenance of the entire Indo-Western fleets of the Air Force. On promotion to the rank of Air Marshal, he was appointed Air Officer in Charge Maintenance (AOM) at Air HQ, where he successfully implemented many measures to improve reliability and availability of various weapon systems of IAF.

Air Marshal Nayyar is an all round sportsman. He has represented services in the Ranji trophy cricket championship and holds the national record against Punjab for "carrying his bat through". He is also a keen golfer. He is married to Rachita and they are the proud parents of a son, Gaurav who is software engineer in US and a daughter, Ruchi who works with an MNC Bank at New Delhi .
Shubham
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shubham »

chandanus wrote:Well..Vats..I had chat to three serving JWO's serving in IAF ..all of them my school friend's fathers+ 1 friend who is again in IAF ...all of them agreed that ..yes...a partiality exists in IAF flavoring pilots IN EVERY aspect of their policies...referring to hashimara ..they told me what they knew was..it is a very far off base ..basically to isolate the techies..they for some time ..were posted there ...one of my uncles unit including him ..even refused his salary during those times ....although ..in the end ..all of them asked me to to go for SSC rather then PC...so that i case i got fed up ..i can leave without anyfuss.....thes\ solution seem ok until below happened....

One of my friend was in RR for his medical appeal ..where he met an NDA guy whose was there for the same reason ...accompanied by his father who was a senior army officer . dat man told him dat in AF flying branch officers r treated far superior than other officer..unlike NAVY or ARMY ... i quote him as my friend told me " even their rations are different , early promotions , more respect . others are treated like schedule castes..(as per his words)....the feeling of getting recommended has gone for a six these days !!!
There is no scheme as such for the early promotion of anybody in IAF, it doesn't matter who you are, all the officers of (different branches) same batch goes on to pick the next higher rank at the same time. This is valid till Wg Cdr, after which the promotions are ACR as well as vacancies based. As you can guess in a Flying Station there is hardly one/two Education Branch officer , a couple of ATC officers but a dozen or so of flying branch officers. It is but obvious that the higher ranks you go the branch having lesser number of Officers have lesser vacancies at the top.

But the matter does not end here, even in flying branch the increasing order of opportunities at higher rank is probably Navigation-> Transport -> Helicopters -> Fighters , the reasoning similar to above. But the glass ceiling of CAS being always from fighter stream was broken by ACM FH Major(Helicopter pilot), maybe some day a transport pilot will hold this post(slim chances though).

Recently Air Commodore Rohit Verma (PD at NFTC) put in his papers since he was overlooked for promotion. So if an Officer at his level could not be promoted, you could figure out how the pyramid narrows down at the senior ranks.

For the people joining defense forces, all will have a different motivation and justification for their choice, take the case of officers in IAF :- One will want to be a pilot for the "action" and the respect. One would want to be in logistics/administrative/meteorology and similar branches for the "smooth" 7am-2pm job.

But of course a pilot is taking more risk and definitely slogging more than the counter-parts from other branches, he would want more respect. Now to further this logic a Fighter pilot who graduates from TPS and becomes a Test Pilot 8) would want more respect from normal fighter jocks who would wants more respect than a helicopter and transport pilot :lol: . And all three of which would want more respect than the Navigators :rotfl: , so this chain continues down...

So the moral of the story is that join a Service and a branch in the service for what it offers and not for what it does not.

In IAF each and every branch have their pros and cons, a fighter pilot is not enjoying everything in the world, he has to make sacrifices in form of normal operating risks of flying, hectic and unsure lifestyle for the kind of flying they require, initial postings can be quite difficult for the family wrt kids etc etc.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

vishal_shah wrote:hey Viv S I was wondering if you have any information regarding the aspirants eligibility with a foreign degree??
I'd appreciate your reply. Thanks
Most western foreign degrees are recognized. You need to take transcripts to the Association of Indian Universities office at Delhi (google the address). They will issue you an equivalence certificate.

Exceptions: - Three year technical degrees are not recognized (the English system includes an an extra year of schooling for students headed to university). Also twinning degrees are unrecognized - unless all four years have been at a foreign university.
ManuT
BRFite

Post by ManuT »

Some time ago, I had opended a thread which got canned . :(( :(( ... hence adding here.

I guess it will take care of some questions some folks want to know.

NDA Part -1

IMA Part-1
[youtube]BzvKeqLqn4E&feature=related[/youtube]

It gets better. Part 1 (Sound quality a bit doubtful, but bearable)
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

interesting viewpoint of an ex-US special forces guy.

he offers advice for those thinking of joining the (US) military.
<del>
Last edited by Rahul M on 08 Oct 2011 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: OT deleted.
abhishek-nayak
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhishek-nayak »

My sister just qualified the AFCAT preliminary and she wants to join the flying brach.

i want to know what is the minimum height for pilot
abhinavjo
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhinavjo »

^^152 cm with corresponding leg, thigh, sitting lengths. See the AFCAT advert. more info there
bksahu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bksahu »

does anybody has any idea when is the TA's form coming out for next year.
Also TA gives permanent commission to one who got selected in TA?
chandanus
BRFite -Trainee

Post by chandanus »

Can SSC be converted into PC in IAF after 10 or 14 years ?
samsher
BRFite -Trainee

Post by samsher »

ManuT wrote:Some time ago, I had opended a thread which got canned . :(( :(( ... hence adding here.

I guess it will take care of some questions some folks want to know.

It gets better. Part 1 (Sound quality a bit doubtful, but bearable)
IMHO, this was a great documentary. Personally for me it brough back fond memories since my dad was posted in Belgaum and we lived not far from the Cdo Wing in the mid- late 80's, early 90's. The 'YO's were one happy band of brothers.

Sadly, Lt. Dilip Jha who is in the documentary was killed a few months after filiming of this documentary.
ppa
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ppa »

Hi all,

Did any of you submit their forms for TA Dec 31st 2011 recruitment ? I missed out on the ad, wanted to hear from people who managed to apply.

Thanks,
Prashant
bksahu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bksahu »

Can anybody tell in which newspaper/website and under what headline do TA recruitment info appears.I totally missed out for last year.
Atleast i can try this year. Any idea when it is going to come again.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

<TA advertisements can be found in employment news, always. Other national newspapers also carry advertisements.

Here is a link to Employment News FAQs and Answers on how to join armed forces(including TA) in India.

http://www.employmentnews.gov.in/Defenc ... fence&in=1

Also, you can use the contact Nos available on the last tab in the menu.

http://indianarmy.gov.in/Site/FormTempl ... r7dbaI6Q==
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

NCC to hone cadets' English skills for easing recruitment
JAIPUR: With an aim to make cadets more confident and raising their chances to get recruited in defence services, NCC is now looking to set up 'language labs' in its units.

"We must have language labs where we can give training to cadets on languages particularly English so as to improve their confidence level and making them more capable," DG NCC Lt Gen P S Bhalla told reporters at NCC complex here today.

The NCC's motive is to promote the cadets to join armed forces and a good command over English will surely help them, he said.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

abhinavjo wrote:^^152 cm with corresponding leg, thigh, sitting lengths. See the AFCAT advert. more info there
Nope. For flying the minimum height is 162.5 cms.
abhishek-nayak wrote:My sister just qualified the AFCAT preliminary and she wants to join the flying brach.

i want to know what is the minimum height for pilot
162.5 cms and a minimum leg length of 99 cms. However the real hurdle for flying branch is the PABT.

Also note that PABT is an once in a lifetime test. You pass it and then you are deemed fit for military aviation (any Service, any A/C) and if you fail bid goodbye to a career in flying.

Now, this is anecdote, but fellow BRFItes that have appeared for AFSB for NDA and later again for any AFSB after graduation may be able to confirm...PABT pass rate is high among NDA candidates. It seems to be PABT is to be best attempted when you are peak of your physical / mental fitness.
ManuT
BRFite

Post by ManuT »

Putting here a link to an old documentary series.
A bit dated but not really.

John Keegan/Robert Ludlum

Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Receiving SMS at least weekly from DMIAFGOI inviting to join IAF as an officer in flying/technical/Ground Duty Branches :)

Almost two decades late though :(
Stl_oi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Stl_oi »

Stl_oi wrote:I want to join Territorial Army in India, in future, I wish to ask to what level are the applicants are accepted. I am from good family background with 3rd generation government officer. I am very much patriotic, 19 years old.

1.I had illness of past 1 year with depression symptoms, but I am medically fit currently, I am doing second year engineering currently, so I will have more 3 years to train myself and be better applicants. And How does TA, take medical issues in account.

2.I want to also have alternative career in different field, in regards with technology, How is the posting done, at first year and later in service, How much free time you can have in a year to consider other career. How is retiring option available later.

3.While considering, are full-time govt. servants can take TA as opportunity.

4.If you know any TA officers please tell me there rough annually schedule if you could. I always wished to join army, as patriotic but also wish to serve a good civilian.

Thank you.
Hey,

I posted this thread 2 years and got wonderful answers. Thankyou for that.

But I require more assistance on your view.

I am currently done my NCC B-set, going for NCC C-set, I have attended only 1 camp necessary i.e. ATC. I cannot go for others, as I am pursuing engineering.
Is 1 camp with NCC C-Set useful at TA.

I asked my local NCC regiment, and talked with few army people over there, they all say TA, is considered alike regular army, and you get duty as regular army officer. But adv. say that you got to engage yearly 1 or 2 months, otherwise you perform regular civic duties.
So my question arising is TA alike regular army, How is the schedule for a TA officer in a full year?

I see TA is joined by many celebrity and recently Sachin Pilot. What is with TA nowadays?

Thankyou.
vikassh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vikassh »

An interesting video from BBC showing selection test used by RAF for their pilots.

I believe similar assessments are used by SSB in India as well for IAF.
vikassh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vikassh »

Defence Institute of Psychological Research under DRDO working on a new selection system for officer selection system for armed forces.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... n-2779847/

It seems OLQ may as well should change in near future to cater to rapid technological changes that forces are undergoing. I think change in society and arrival of knowledge workers for lower level jobs is also going to impact the criteria in near future.

Another interesting thing to notice in the same article is that shortage of Officers has come down to 9000 now. It used to be 12000-13000 few years back.
jayasimha
BRFite

Post by jayasimha »

JOIN ARMY DENTAL CORPS
AS SHORT SERVICE COMMISSIONED OFFICER
FOR A PROMISING & CHALLENGING CAREER: 2017
LAST DATE FOR RECIEPT OF APPLICATIONS IS 15 May 2017

https://www.indianarmy.nic.in/writeread ... C-2017.pdf
jayasimha
BRFite

Post by jayasimha »

Tentative Month Wise Rally schedule for recruiting YEAR 2017-2018 by Indian Army
http://joinindianarmy.nic.in/alpha/writ ... 017_18.PDF