How to join the Armed Forces? - Recruitment Thread

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Re: How to join the Armed Forces? - Recruitment Thread

Post by Bala Vignesh »

The forms are expected in june... That's what the local TA Battalion in bangalore says...
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Stl_oi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Stl_oi »

I want to join Territorial Army in India, in future, I wish to ask to what level are the applicants are accepted. I am from good family background with 3rd generation government officer. I am very much patriotic, 19 years old.

1.I had illness of past 1 year with depression symptoms, but I am medically fit currently, I am doing second year engineering currently, so I will have more 3 years to train myself and be better applicants. And How does TA, take medical issues in account.

2.I want to also have alternative career in different field, in regards with technology, How is the posting done, at first year and later in service, How much free time you can have in a year to consider other career. How is retiring option available later.

3.While considering, are full-time govt. servants can take TA as opportunity.

4.If you know any TA officers please tell me there rough annually schedule if you could. I always wished to join army, as patriotic but also wish to serve a good civilian.

Thank you.
devesh
BRF Oldie

Post by devesh »

^^^

what the heck is a "Territorial Army of India"?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

devesh wrote:what the heck is a "Territorial Army of India"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_Army_(India)
Stl_oi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Stl_oi »

I really wish to get answers, Its quite important of my career view. Thank you.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

well i just had a chat with the local battalion in bangalore... The guy there says that there is no entry planned till december...
Could others confirm from their regional units...
ManuT
BRFite

Post by ManuT »

Stl_oi wrote:I really wish to get answers, Its quite important of my career view. Thank you.
Dear stl_oi

TA is for 'grown ups' who have regular jobs in the Civil society and cannot make it to the regular army for because of other real life commitments.

Somehow, at 19, TA looks more appealing to you, what can I say, do not want to make assumptions here for you. There is no way around ragada if that is what one hopes to avoid.

You have some time, think it over. Its like getting married, with friends screaming 'don't do it' so that you cannot say no one warned me.

For the rest of it follow this thread.
Regards
Stl_oi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Stl_oi »

Thankyou Bala Vignesh and ManuT.

Yeah. I am planning to have good civil life, But always wanted to enter in army as officer. I have 3 years to think. Till then, I want to really have inside of things go. May be if you could tell me of the other 4 points, I can try my best, to atleast think after full-view.
pragnya
BRFite

Post by pragnya »

Stl_oi wrote:I really wish to get answers, Its quite important of my career view. Thank you.
you may go through this and other links on the page. you may get all the details you want.

Territorial Army
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

/IMP/

Fellows, I'm looking for some information for someone applying for the commission to the Indian Army with a foreign degree.

Is he eligible for the i) CDS ii) Technical entry?

Do you know of anyone who's used that route?

I'm told UPSC does NOT recognize foreign degrees and I'm trying to get that confirmed.
ManuT
BRFite

Post by ManuT »

Viv S wrote:/IMP/

Fellows, I'm looking for some information for someone applying for the commission to the Indian Army with a foreign degree.

Is he eligible for the i) CDS ii) Technical entry?

Do you know of anyone who's used that route?

I'm told UPSC does NOT recognize foreign degrees and I'm trying to get that confirmed.
I do not think foreign degree will be a bar.

Some related info here:
http://career.webindia123.com/career/co ... /intro.htm
NehraA
BRFite -Trainee

Post by NehraA »

i wanted to know which entry is better in the indian army, NDA or 10+2 Technical Entry Scheme?
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

depends on what you wish to do in the army... If you want to be a arty gunner or armoured tank commander, them NDA is the way to go... If you want to be an engineering officer, then the TES entry is better...
chandanus
BRFite -Trainee

Post by chandanus »

In SSB's...does a performance bracket exists..i mean ..If u underperform or overperform ...u will be C.O.....my GTO unintentionally mentionioned this term " Performance bracket " ??
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

ViVS, a foreign degree is NO BAR, provided it is equatable to an Indian degree of the same standard. The accrediting body is the Association of Indian Universities
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

Any mai-ka-lal appearing for TA this year? Chandigarh exam is on 7 Aug.
nitinr
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nitinr »

looking for information on RIMC, Dehradun.
Does it allow children of NRI's. How is the education at RIMC? I know of UP Sainik school, Lucknow and its nothing to speak about.
Thanks
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

VikBinullah,
Is that a confirmed news??? The local battalion here still says that it'll be 2-3 months before the exams.
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

Vignesh - want to know my roll number :)
Forms last date of submission was 30 June. My roll number has been dispatched though I fervently hope that my parents dont throw it away :(
You must use the numbers given on that advt I had shared with you.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Its the same one. The guy here said that there are no plans for intake till dec and he's been continuing with the same line every month i call him, from different numbers, in case they have CLIP.
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

Dude, cud it be a conspiracy (aka Ocean 13/Italian job ishtyle) where your call was diverted to a khufia cell of Pukes leading to wrong info being fed? you shud have checked with guru logs (aka me in this case :))
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Jo hukum, VikBaba.. :-p.. Ab se aap jo bolenge hum wohi karne ki koshish karenge...
sanjeevpunj
BRFite

Post by sanjeevpunj »

How do we get a job in the Media wing of the Armed Forces? I am into film-making since I was 21, but I always wanted to do something for the country and I couldn't.I am sure the Armed Forces need the other kind of shooters (Camera teams) as well? I edit, shoot, do sound,work on animations sometimes, and I really wish I could put it to use for the country.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Free training to aspiring military men
DHARWAD: The Association of Retired Defence Officers has mooted a plan to launch free army training for those willing to serve the Indian Army.

Association president Col (retd) Mohan Math said the quota for each state is fixed depending on the population of the respective state. However, candidates from Karnataka are not joining the army in the required quantum. He said the lack of awareness among the youth in the state about defence services and recruitment process are the reasons for poor representation from Karnataka in the armed forces.

In a bid to motivate the youth to join the armed forces, the Association will provide them necessary information and training. In the initial stage, training without food and accommodation will be given and depending on the need of the candidate, other basic facilities will be provided in the later stages, he added.

The training camp will be held on the premises of Mallasajjan Vyayama Shala at Maratha Colony here for a batch of 30 candidates. Training is to prepare the candidates for written test and physical fitness test. Special classes will be held to teach Science, Mathematics, Hindi and English.

Those interested to join the camp can enroll their names at Hiregoudar Medicals, LEA Complex (opposite SBM), Maratha Colony, Dharwad. Call 0836-2446736.
Association secretary Col (retd) A B Natur and treasurer Maj (retd) S C Choukimath were present.
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

TA exam update

- Moi gave it yesterday. Got new info on TA. It is as follows

- Noone knows anything about how TA works. This included the Major who was on duty at the center at APS Chandigarh
- It is like an elephant, everyone thinks he knows what it is.

- Exam pattern changed this year vis-a-vs last year. SHOCKER - TA exams (at least written) are at the whims and fancy or knowledge of the Commander of that TA unit. Essentially meaning that the all the exams across various TA units/regions have a different paper!!! never heard of anything like that before anywhere.

- Exam paper was brilliant (as per me). 60 questions of quant, GK (majorly history and science). Total 60 marks. Two short notes 75-100 questions with 10 marks each. One topic for 20 marks - 275-300 words. Time 2 hrs.

- Awesome part - first time clarity on decision critierion. 50% or above overall and at least 40% in each of two sections- anybody clearing this will get a call. No upper limit to how many will get called for the interview (after which the successful candidates are recommended to SSB). No negative marking. Hats off to Brig Ashwini Sharma for being so clear.

ps- anyone wants to take a try at some of the questions asked?
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

sure. I'd love to try it out.
vivekmehta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vivekmehta »

Interested 10+2 guys should check .all major newspapers today. There is a full page advt for recruitment. I think its the first batch at OTA gaya.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

NehraA wrote:i wanted to know which entry is better in the indian army, NDA or 10+2 Technical Entry Scheme?
NDA entrants or the executives as they are called rise up faster through the ranks across all the three services (obviously there are exceptions but those are for brilliant men/women for eg. the one's who crack a commando/SF/Marcos course or who shine in sports).
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

negi wrote:
NehraA wrote:i wanted to know which entry is better in the indian army, NDA or 10+2 Technical Entry Scheme?
NDA entrants or the executives as they are called rise up faster through the ranks across all the three services (obviously there are exceptions but those are for brilliant men/women for eg. the one's who crack a commando/SF/Marcos course or who shine in sports).
That part is not true. Leave alone 10+2 tech entry, there are a lot of SSC Officers who get into SF or/and excell in sports.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Perhaps you need to read my post again :)
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
To my understanding you're saying that non NDA passout getting into SF or excelling in sports is an exception rather than a rule. To that I must respectfully disagree. :)
chandanus
BRFite -Trainee

Post by chandanus »

Well..Vats..I had chat to three serving JWO's serving in IAF ..all of them my school friend's fathers+ 1 friend who is again in IAF ...all of them agreed that ..yes...a partiality exists in IAF flavoring pilots IN EVERY aspect of their policies...referring to hashimara ..they told me what they knew was..it is a very far off base ..basically to isolate the techies..they for some time ..were posted there ...one of my uncles unit including him ..even refused his salary during those times ....although ..in the end ..all of them asked me to to go for SSC rather then PC...so that i case i got fed up ..i can leave without anyfuss.....thes\ solution seem ok until below happened....

One of my friend was in RR for his medical appeal ..where he met an NDA guy whose was there for the same reason ...accompanied by his father who was a senior army officer . dat man told him dat in AF flying branch officers r treated far superior than other officer..unlike NAVY or ARMY ... i quote him as my friend told me " even their rations are different , early promotions , more respect . others are treated like schedule castes..(as per his words)....the feeling of getting recommended has gone for a six these days !!!
Last edited by archan on 22 Sep 2011 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: kindly use "that" and not "dat" etc. and use proper sentences and paragraphs. SMS/twitter lingo is not appreciated on this forum.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Well to be honest discrimination is not an appropriate word; it's all about vacancies in a particular trade/branch and obviously the way seniority/points are allocated for a job/trade. For instance as a general rule of a thumb irrespective of branch one would accumulate more points for sea service or squadron posting in IN as against an administrative posting; same is true for field postings vs family postings in IA (I am sure there must be something similar in IAF). You can just look at the background of most of the service chiefs across all the three services apart from one or two exceptions they all have one thing in common i.e. they come from the main branch/trade of that resective service for eg. most of the IN chiefs were seamen/submariners or even pilots; most of the IAF chiefs have flown fighter AC with one/two exceptions (for eg. ACM Fali Major) and then obviously current IA chief is a commando himself. Btw promotions within armed forces are not like the private sector where a chap moves up the rung every 2/3 years, you have to look at the number of officers who retire after completing their 20+ years of service without being promoted to a Colonel(and equivalent rank in other services).
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Well, we could have had this discussion in the Mil Aviation thread because at the end of the day, it deals with the most important aspect of the Mil Aviaton.

First thigs, first...what does JWO stand for? Coming to the events we discussed earlier, the response from your uncle - him and his unit refusing salary - is just a small example of how bad things had become. As I said earlier, people are hanged for treason for far lesser then compared to what certain sections of IAF - those in technical arms - did. Going on strike? What the fvck is IAF? Manufacturing unit in timbuktoo? The merit of their case not withstanding - what they did was an act unbecoming of the officer and gentlemen and against the oath they had taken. Period. And in the Services - at the end of the day, only three things drive the whole show - "Naam, Namak and Nishaan". So, they have no sympathy from me on this account. Believe you me, even if a fraction of this had happened in IA, these men would have been hanged for treason.

Coming to the second part of your post, I'm surprised that you chose to believe X who was told by Y who has nothing to do with IAF? Duh! How come your acquaintance in the IAF never said such a thing? Here is an important - never take army man's word for IAF...you will never hear good things.

While I'm not aware of the exact promotion policy wrt Flying Branch and other things that you mention - some things can have a simple explanation. In the IA, officers from different streams get equal rations. What if the nature of the job of the pilots is such that there is medical requirement for them to adhere to some specific diet and hence, flying officers get more things? As for promotions, well, unless I'm grossly mistaken, the promotion timelines from one level to another are same for all Services. May be, ASPaur sahab can shed more light on the subject.

I know all is not ideal - for example the CO of Missile Squadron comes form Flying Branch which baffles me. Or those of the Radar Units. Having said that, things could not be so bad...otherwise, one would not have the Technical Branch left in the IAF. There is bound to be a slightly lop-sided structure in favor of fly boys...but that is not likely to be different from say in a FMCG Company were Sales and Marketing Teams call the shots and command all the main positions. Heck, even in the IA, the Cavalry boys think of themselves as best gift to mankind and spear tip of the IA.

So, chill, go all out, wear that dashing uniform, serve your nation and makes us proud.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Rohit afaik he meant Junior Warrant Officer (equivalent of Nayab Subedar in IA ?).
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

"I know all is not ideal - for example the CO of Missile Squadron comes form Flying Branch which baffles me. Or those of the Radar Units. Having said that, things could not be so bad...otherwise, one would not have the Technical Branch left in the IAF."

Not just the regular IAF units, I remember seeing Flying Branch officers even commanding NCC Air Wing Tech Units. It looked weird.
OTOH, may father served in two Pechora squadrons, so the fact about the missile squadrons is true and consistent.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Ergh... lot of disinformation going on here.

Let me attempt to clarify:

1. Obviously, the main branch of any force will end up commanding it. But all other branches provide plenty of opportunity. Army Engineers have risen to GoC-in-C of commands, and VCOAS. These are posts in the same scale of pay, and protocol (warrant of precedence) position, as a Secretary to the Government of India. Is that so terrible?

2. As to the "current chief being a commando", most chiefs have NOT been commandos. But obviously, they have been from fighting arms (Infantry, Artillery, Armour). That is not to say that there is any less pride, or glory in serving in ANY other arm. Most branches have positions all the way up to Lt Gen (2nd highest rank), including ASC, AOC, EME, SIGS, AMC, etc. However, obviously there are more posts for fighting arms, because they command corps, divisions, etc.

Incidentally, army combat engineers are a fighting arm, and their officers are not only technical personnel, but also command brigades, divisions, corps, and even armies. Army civil engineers (sappers) have risen to be Army Commanders (GoC-in-C) (including LtGen PS Bhagat, Victoria Cross, who was in line for promotion to COAS), Vice Chiefs of Army Staff (including LtGen S Pattabhiraman, and N Thamburaj), etc.

3. Air Force pilots become COAS. This is true. And why not? Almost every air force is commanded by a pilot. But there is plenty of good work to be done in Engineering, Administration, Accounts, Education, Meteorology, and every other branch. IAF is a force where an engineer gets to head a total Command (officers commanding a command are in the same pay grade and status as Secretary to the Govt of India). Thats not really too terrible you know. They get to command IAF Maintenance Command.

There are plenty of opportunities in every branch. Do NOT listen to disgruntled/disaffected moaners and groaners, and please make your own assessments, instead of believing every chaiwalla you hear from!
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

Post corrected. Thanks ASP. Got few things mixed up.
Last edited by SRoy on 22 Sep 2011 11:11, edited 1 time in total.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

^^^

??!!

Kindly do not spread false information. IAF maintenance command is NOT commanded by officers from the Logistics Branch.

Please see this Air Force press note about the new AOC-in-C Maintenance Command:

http://indianairforce.nic.in/show_news. ... ews_id=635
Air Marshal Chandra new chief of IAF Maintenance Command

AIR MARSHAL JAGDISH CHANDRA TAKES OVER AS AOC-IN-C, MAINTENANCE COMMAND, IAF

Monday, 05 Sep, 2011

Air Marshal Jagdish Chandra has taken over as Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief (AOC-in-C) of Maintenance Command at its Nagpur Headquarters today, i.e., on 01 Sep 11.

Air Mshl J Chandra is a graduate in Electronics and Communication Engineering and a post graduate in computer technology. He was commissioned in the Electronics stream of IAF’s Engineering Branch on 08 Jul 1976. A versatile technical officer, he has a rich experience on a wide range of Aircraft Radar, Communication, Weapons and Information Technology systems of IAF. He is trained in France on Mirage-2000 Computerized Maintenance Management.

In his address to the Air Warriors of the Maintenance Command IAF on taking over the charge, Air Mshl Chandra said “The units of Maintenance Command have a vital role to play so that IAF retains its cutting edge in combat preparedness. Technology is advancing at a very rapid pace and the state of art equipment is under induction. In order to maintain aircraft and equipment with required operational efficiency, it is incumbent for all of us to quickly absorb the technology and new methods”.

While speaking to the Commanders, he further stated that having adopted the year 2011 as year of consolidation and maintenance, there is a need to identify areas of concern affecting operational assets, availability and evolve strategies to enhance logistical & maintenance support to operational unit.

Prior to assuming the responsibilities as Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Air Marshal held the appointment of Director General (Systems) at Air Headquarters. He has held various field and staff appointments as Senior Maintenance Staff Officer, South Western Air Command at Gandhi Nagar, Air Officer Commanding of a Radar & Communication Base Repair Depot at Palam, Command Signals Officer (Air) at South Western Air Command, Chief Engineering Officer at Air Force Station Hakimpet and Joint Director Engineering (Mirage 2000) at Air Headquarters. Air Marshal Chandra firmly supports Innovation, Indigenisation and Self reliance as Key issues for enhancing the productivity, maintenance standards and assets availability.

For his exceptional service, spanning over 35 years, he was awarded Ati Vishisht Seva Medal on 26 January 2011 and Vishisht Seva Medal on 26 January 1993. Earlier, he was commended by Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Central Air Command on 15 August 1988.

The Air Marshal is married to Mrs Sharmila and is blessed with two daughters, elder one a Paediatrician and the younger a Gynecologist. He spends time reading and loves proximity to nature. He is an avid golfer.
Please delete your misleading, and incorrect post.