How to join the Armed Forces? - Recruitment Thread

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
pmund
BRFite

Re: How to join the Armed Forces? - Recruitment Thread

Post by pmund »

As Aspuar said, the physical tests are not as much physical as mental. Anybody with a minimum level of fitness can pass the SSB physicals. Just remember not to hesitate anywhere. Every obstacle there is very much doable. The Tarzan leap, for instance, only seems difficult. Jumping off a 9-foot-high ledge to a rope hanging in thin air does not take a lot of skill or courage. Just go for it. Always remember to grip the rope ABOVE your head not any level below.
And Aspuar, i know the disembodiment clause is there. And it's also true that many TA officers want to serve all year round but the very idea of TA was to allow people to go about their normal lives and also satisfy their desire to serve the country. But today's situation has made things different. It's an unwritten code, I am given to believe, but those who pass TA SSB are clealy told that it's going to be an all-year deployment. I am not against it but it leaves out so many equally deserving people who passed the tough SSB but could not join because of other responsibilities.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

I dont get it. If TA has turned into an year round deployment, why call it TA - why not make it regular army. I dont understand how the army expects normal civilians to give up their job and join the TA on a permanent sounding deployment. OR Is it like if you do one year, you dont need to come back for a few years?
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

@Bala - you got mail

@ ASPuar

Thank you for your kind words but I am absolutely inconsolable. There were 715 people to appear for the written out of which about 120 were chosen for the next round. I have been thinking hard as to where I went wrong and just cant agree to blame myself. I am not a bad loser but frankly I have cleared exams of far higher standards -atleast for the written part. I mean - I had also cleared the NDA written too in first shot years ago. The TA test had only one essay and one 60 question paper that had GK. I had done pretty well considering my later discussion with others who had done a 'joint' exam.
The cheating in the center was RAMPANT. I mean there was just no control. I happily did my part and thought that I will atleast make it to the next round without having to cheat around. But ofcourse I was wrong. I feel like writing to the highest level about this but frankly I dont want to marr my chances for the next time (if I were to appear again ie). Just have no way to reconcile to what has happened. I always believe that good people also have to win the race. So I am only kicking myself for not being able to cheat. I should have known better. There is no other justification
jambudvipa
BRFite

Post by jambudvipa »

VikB,try again and im sure you will succeed.Dont kick yourself for not cheating.Remember India's inegrity and progress is guaranteed by quite a lot of people who choose not to cheat!! all the best

I also cannot see the rationale for a year long deployment by TA.The baisc purpose of TA is to encourage civilian patriots to get military training.
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

Can someone confirm whether TA is a 2 month/year (as per the IA's site) deployment or has it become another route to enter IA in the form of TA?

Cheers....
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Thanks Vikji... I am sure that it won't be the case next time around.. Remember, here the guy who does it the right way has to do it twice but it in the long run you come out the winner..
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

If I remember correctly the physical tests have points assigned to them 1 to 10, 10 being the most difficult. Trick to get most points is to start at the most difficult one and finish the least difficult one last. That way you dont run out of time.
pmund
BRFite

Post by pmund »

:wink: Fooled you, didn't it, Saip? The points displayed prominently on the obstacles are not to add to your scores. It's to kanphooj u and test how u go abt tackling the obstacles. It's more mental than physical, remember. Guys who scored a triple perfect score (went round the whole set-up thrice) did not make it. While some who could not complete all 10 did.
bksahu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bksahu »

Can somebody please tell me when is the next exam for TA and where to look for it.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

One of the unglamorous news from defense, I think we should promote it for the benefit of the folks who would like to join.

Naval personnel completes aeronautical course
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Awesome place in fact ideal place for Jingos to visit , been there a few times iirc was known as NATS before.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

negi wrote:^ Awesome place in fact ideal place for Jingos to visit , been there a few times iirc was known as NATS before.

From the amount of back breaking grass cutting that was expected of the recruits, it was more popularly known as the Naval Agricultural Training School!!! :D :D
NehraA
BRFite -Trainee

Post by NehraA »

I was hoping someone with knowledge about the various modes of entry into the army, could explain me this....those cadets who have joined through 10+2 Technical Entry Scheme, after completion of 4 years of training(1 year at IMA+ 3 yrs degree), where do they have their passing out parade? at IMA or their respective engg. institutes i.e. CME, MCTE, MCEME.?
arjun_vs
BRFite -Trainee

Post by arjun_vs »

Hello everybody. Could someone explain knocked knees with respect to the recruitment process?. I have searched for pictures on the net but they show only severe cases. A friend of mine said "If your knees touch each other when you stand straight keeping your feet in V shape it's knocked knees and you are rejected". Is this true because 5 out of 7 in my friends circle have this...!. Does they check this for technical entry too because i'm a final year mech engr student and i defenitely want to join the forces one way or another...
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Yes it is a part of medical examination in all the entry schemes, just stand in a normal 'saawdhaan'(at attention) position and check if your knees touch each other. If you have a very minor case of knocked knees i.e. you can separate them if you exert some force then you should be able to correct them by non surgical methods , you might want to consult a doctor about the same.
neilmurali
BRFite -Trainee

Post by neilmurali »

can somebody give info about the eye standards for NCC.Also if someone does refractive surgery will he be considered if they are satisfied(mediacal Officers) for Direct entry IMA
arjun_vs
BRFite -Trainee

Post by arjun_vs »

negi wrote:^ Yes it is a part of medical examination in all the entry schemes, just stand in a normal 'saawdhaan'(at attention) position and check if your knees touch each other. If you have a very minor case of knocked knees i.e. you can separate them if you exert some force then you should be able to correct them by non surgical methods , you might want to consult a doctor about the same.
Thanks negi but does normal attention mean keeping the feet in V shape or parallel...?
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

V shape for that is the natural stance for person with 'normal' legs (i.e. does not have knocked knees and flat feet) iirc it is 45 deg for Indian armed forces . Btw if your knees do not touch when you stand with toes in a V formation they will never touch if you keep your toes || to each other :)
arjun_vs
BRFite -Trainee

Post by arjun_vs »

^ Hmm, ok. I asked this because by exerting a little force i could seperate them but only when my toes are parallel. :(
Tejas.P
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Tejas.P »

Hello,
I am currently studying in the United States for a bachelor in science . I also am very much interested in joining the indian army. i am an indian citizen, although i have a green card here.

i have two questions
1) does UPSC accept degrees from foreign universities for CDS examination?
2) will my green card status bar my chances from joining the army?
Vril
BRFite

Post by Vril »

hello

if there are member from armed forces background, could they share a day in the life of a soldier. as a civvy, am always fascinated by armed personnel and their disciplined lifestyle.

if some one could share how a typical day is for a soldier like what time they get up, then go for training , then breakfast, what all is served in breakfast, then may be another set of training exercises?, some time for leisure etc.

nothing specific or strategic but a general overview. it would be helpful if people from navy and airforce could also share.

thanks
chandanus
BRFite -Trainee

Post by chandanus »

Guys...2 questions...
1. Can SSC in IAF/ARMY be convert into PC..what is the actual conversion rate ....?
2. In PC..what is the minimum no of years u need to serve before leaving the service while still retaining the service benifits n facilities in IAF/ARMY....

Regards
ManuT
BRFite

Post by ManuT »

NehraA wrote:I was hoping someone with knowledge about the various modes of entry into the army, could explain me this....those cadets who have joined

through 10+2 Technical Entry Scheme, after completion of 4 years of training(1 year at IMA+ 3 yrs degree), where do they have their passing out parade?

at IMA or their respective engg. institutes i.e. CME, MCTE, MCEME.?
IMA
Tejas.P wrote:Hello,
I am currently studying in the United States for a bachelor in science . I also am very much interested in joining the indian army. i am an indian

citizen, although i have a green card here.

i have two questions
1) does UPSC accept degrees from foreign universities for CDS examination?
2) will my green card status bar my chances from joining the army?
1. You are in a unique position, you can join either IA or USA Army. But once you make a choice, it will close out the other. For IA you will lose GC, and with the other option you will be too old for IA.
2. USPC will consider foreign degrees.
chandanus wrote:Guys...2 questions...
1. Can SSC in IAF/ARMY be convert into PC..what is the actual conversion rate ....?
2. In PC..what is the minimum no of years u need to serve before leaving the service while still retaining the service benifits n facilities in

IAF/ARMY....

Regards
1. These days SSC is just another route of intake. To re-enlist is not a problem.
2. 20 years.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Any news on the next TA intake??? Need to give my office atleast 10 days heads up... so that the paper works can be done in time...
vipins
BRFite

Post by vipins »

Does any one know why DRDO have stopped recruitment through SET or campus placements?? Is it due to change in DRDOs structure which was reported few months back? RACs site mentions administrative reasons for this.
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

Bala - My suggestion is that you keep the form filled. It is the same every time and you can download it from the TA site. The date can be out anytime now. Let me know if you get to know of it.
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

TA help Alert:

1. Anyone getting any headsup on the TA Sept notice, kindly communicate to others here.

2. Anybody appearing from Chandigarh side - contact me. I have uberkool tips to share (for more, go to my posts above-sometime back)
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

VikB wrote:Bala - My suggestion is that you keep the form filled. It is the same every time and you can download it from the TA site. The date can be out anytime now. Let me know if you get to know of it.
Thanks for the tip, Vikram... the folks at my office are saying a lot more time is still available to apply and they need to deliberate more on this... Will let you know if anything comes up...
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

^^^ Bala, dont fall for this. Same thing happened in my office and I lost 6months as those idiots did not wake up on time.

Tell them that the last date is 30 Sept. that is it.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

these sites are saying the last day for applyng to TA has already passed...
career360
Bengal Siders
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

X posting from Military Multimedia Thread:

Nice video's of US Navy SEAL swimming training. Found it posted on Facebook as a recruitment tool.
Combat Side Stroke- :evil: Going to give this one a try this week.

Would be lovely if our guys started putting up some content like this. Would definitely help in attracting recruits. Better still possible recruits (coming from non-traditional military backgrounds) would have a better idea of what is expected rather than have to rely on hearsay-"Physicals, you only get through if you are x ft tall and can run 30 kms at one shot."
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

@VikB: Sorry I havent responded.

I took the TA written in C'garh. There was no cheating in my center. Our invigilator was a really tough old sikh subedar from Railway ENGRS TA. I dont think anyone could have dreamt of cheating there. Very surprised to hear of your experience.

Do please take the exam again. The SSB is a good experience, and if you get in, the TA is pretty fun, according to some of the chaps I know who are in it!
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

^^^Sirji,
If you don't mind, can you please tell me when did you write the exam this year???
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Took it a couple of years ago. Why do you ask?
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Sir, i had been looking for the notification for the november entry but couldn't catch it... So i was wondering when the exam took place... that is all..
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Artificer Apprentices being recruited by IN.

Minimum 55% PCM/PCB/PCCompSc. in XII board.

http://www.presentjobs.com/govt_jobs/indian_navy.jpg
bksahu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bksahu »

Can anybody please let me know when is the next recruitment for TA.
Also any info on exams for Dy CIO in IB is most welcome.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

DCIO is always advertised on the UPSC websites "Recruitment" section. Keep a regular eye out there.
bksahu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bksahu »

Thanks ASPaur ji,

Any info on next TA recruitment this year??