Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chiragAS
BRFite

Re: Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

Post by chiragAS »

Question :?:
During any "first flight" of any LSP or otherwise. does aircraft have all the avionics, radar etc onboard?
or do they fly light as far as possible for the first flight? (i mean specially related to LCA what is the case)
I mean one need not carry expensive radar on its first flight right?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

chiragAS wrote:Question :?:
During any "first flight" of any LSP or otherwise. does aircraft have all the avionics, radar etc onboard?
or do they fly light as far as possible for the first flight? (i mean specially related to LCA what is the case)
I don't think there is any such rule. If the first flight calls for a radar to be present it will be present.
chiragAS
BRFite

Post by chiragAS »

shiv wrote:
chiragAS wrote:Question :?:
I don't think there is any such rule. If the first flight calls for a radar to be present it will be present.
Thanks shiv saar.
In context of LSP-8, and in view of of our relatively recently developed radar. what is the possibility of LSP-8 carrying Radar.
I mean is there any confirmation of the same in news article or any other sources. thanks in advance.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

http://i.imgur.com/kOBJuVK.jpg

What is that strange thing on tail ?
Eric Leiderman
BRFite

Post by Eric Leiderman »

Just a guess, That looks like a DF antenna , (Direction finding)
chiragAS
BRFite

Post by chiragAS »

Dumb question:
In red flag excercises does each participant country get their own ACMI pod?( or do they have to use Host country one only). if not does the participating countries get the final ACMI Pod Data to be taken home after the excercise or is it the property of the host country US. I do know there is a debrief but can the participants take all the ACMI data with them?
pentaiah
BRFite

Post by pentaiah »

member_24670
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_24670 »

Question: Despite having a youtube tag in the list of available tags, the embedded youtube does not seem to show up on committing the post.

What am I missing?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

chaudhry wrote:Question: Despite having a youtube tag in the list of available tags, the embedded youtube does not seem to show up on committing the post.

What am I missing?
Not missing. Adding probably. Post only the unique video code to the right of the "=" sign in the url within the tag without the http-colon-slash-slash etc
For example for the following video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[b]7NprCjv7ljc[/b]

post only the part that is in bold between the tags - i,e, "7NprCjv7ljc"

RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

I have few questions for military gurus here

1. How big is MoD? Does it limit itself at policy and process level and very high level military purchases OR it has insight and control over day to day operational aspects of Military?

2. If and when Army gets a project approved, say building a base, who becomes the project owner and manager, Military personnel or MoD executive? How does the funding happen? If a base is sanctioned for say RS 2000 crores, will the army have full operational control over it?

3. IIRC, the NDA govt started the practice of keeping aside funds for capital acquirements. Then why does it take years and decades for army to complete the process? Don't they do the required due deligence before going for specific funding needs? I am not talking about large acquirements like MRCA but sub Rs1000 crore projects.

4. Who has the operational control over military force placements, relocations etc, MoD or Army?

TIA.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

For those still able to do calculations etc:

www.engineeringtoolbox.com

self explanatory.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Hi guys,

I am a newbie to BRF. I recently started following BRF in order to gain some practical knowlwdge in the field of Aviation/Aerospace and general millitary tech.

I have been reading the LCA threads for some time. There is tons of posts there, some of which are really informative and technical. But one thing that hasn't come across in whatever I read (Though I am pretty sure this must have been disscused on BRF at length, I simply couldn't find :( ).

I wanted to know why the LCA has a compound Delta wing shape with the leading part with larger half angle than the rest of the wing?? Almost every compound delta wing shape used so far in (well-known) aircrafts have this leading part with smaller half angle as compared to the rest of the wing. This thing helps in generating the leading edge vortex etc etc which is well known. Why LCA designers went the other way then?? What are the advantages of such shape??

Would be great if someone could redirect me to the discussions which explain this, if this is already discussed in the past.

Looking for a lot of enlightenment in future from BRF. :)
member_26965
BRFite

Post by member_26965 »

LCA uses a cranked delta wing. You can read the narration for cranked wings for space shuttle http://www.century-of-flight.net/Aviati ... 0Wings.htm
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

ranji wrote:LCA uses a cranked delta wing. You can read the narration for cranked wings for space shuttle http://www.century-of-flight.net/Aviati ... 0Wings.htm
Hi,

Thanks for the link.

There is difference between "Cranked Delta Wing" and "Cranked Wing". I am trying to find some technical reference but so far whatever I have recollected, LCA wing can't be called "Cranked Delta Wing". It could be called "Cranked wing" due to wing-root anhedral wing section as compared to outboard part which is almost flat. That's why I specifically mentioned "Compound double Delta".

See this wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_configuration

Anyways, I found some of the logic behind LCA wing in archives on BRF. Still digging.

One more nuve Q:
I have heard that the Space/Defense related labs in India were not allowed to use CFD/FEM softwares like Ansys, Fluent etc due to US restrictions on technology. From what I have heard, very recently, during Obama's India visit, US removed this restriction.

Is this correct and a fact??

Thanks,
Nilesh
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

One more nube question, this time regarding the Brahmos Missile.

Why is Brahmos always refered to as "World's only supersonic cruise missile"?? For ex in following news (i know its TOILET paper but still :) )
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/news ... wsid=20220

Surely its not the only supersonic missile in the world. There are bunch of them (like P-800 of Russia on which Brahmos is based) as per wiki.

It may be one of its kind. But what is this kind exactly?? Please can somebody educate me on this??

TIA
Nilesh
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

Texafr wrote:Rafale can easily take care of old aircraft like F-16 : http://youtu.be/2dAmEL6fhmg
But Typhoon struggles against this outdated plane : http://youtu.be/RAedQ7FMiKo

And this is not an isolated incident as Pakistani F-16s easily and soundly defeated RAF Eurofighter Typhoons during exercise Anatolian Eagle a few years ago.
This year again, bad news again, Pakistani pilots flying F-16s MLU easily defeated RSAF Typhoons. PAF pilots can fly circles around Typhoons.
Can anyone explain what all those lines and sounds mean? Links are also appreciated....
There is a line that curves showing target path(??)
There a rectangular box that represents target plane location(???)And there are also circular shapes(??)

Thank you.
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

if you don't know what courage is , ask this boy

koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

No idea where to post this
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Old WWII vintage Popular Science in Google books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=1iYDAA ... e&q&f=true
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Can we construct a table on BR and if so how does one do it?

Should the TABLE, etc construct work? I tried and it did not.

TIA.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

when a submerged submarine fires a heavy missile, does it not lose weight and gain further buoyancy once the heavy mass of the missile exists the sub body?
In such a case, how does the sub maintain its balance & not bob upwards towards the surface.
Also a bobbing sub would impact the direction of the launched missile/torpedo?
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

AdityaM wrote:when a submerged submarine fires a heavy missile, does it not lose weight and gain further buoyancy once the heavy mass of the missile exists the sub body?
In such a case, how does the sub maintain its balance & not bob upwards towards the surface.
Also a bobbing sub would impact the direction of the launched missile/torpedo?
They have water tanks to manage the weight i guess. At least that would be the easiest thing that i could think of. Also a few tons of mass lost out of few thousand won't make significant difference.
VijayN
BRFite -Trainee

Post by VijayN »

My first post, definitely not new to this forum. Have been a VLTL (Very long term lurker) :) thought it prudent to post here first before I start start shooting my mouth off in the main threads. Familiar with all the active/senior members and ofcourse the mods and their posting. Hopefully, I can write something that doesn't earn me warnings or a ban. Cheers Folks.
member_27581
BRFite

Post by member_27581 »

Hi all,

I am a newbie to BRF. I have been lurking for last two years to learn more about our own mil tech.

What has been amusing me is the headlines US2 Shimwaya catches all the time.It doesnt seem to have any military application for India as it will be sold purely for civilian purposes. So why is it hyped so much. Is it because in light of geo political equation in the south east asia or is there something else?

http://articles.economictimes.indiatime ... e-aircraft
Eric Leiderman
BRFite

Post by Eric Leiderman »

For Japan to have its first quazi military sale to India speaks volumes of the potential of our relationship

The sale of the aircraft, when it happens, would be the first of a finished product made by Japan's homegrown defence industry since rules were imposed restricting the export of weapons systems and other equipment
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

ranjan - the ShinMeiwa does have some very real military capability. The sole airstrip in portblair wont help in case it is damaged due to a natural disaster or some such. During this time, the SM can very well provide a secondary lift capability. It also fits in well with the amphibious ambitions of the armed forces.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

X posting from Border Watch dhaaga

Stupid question, but I have to get this resolved. From this angle, there seems to be very little gap between the gun and the face and I don't see the rifle butt either (possibly folded). If fired from this position, will the recoil not cause the rifle to hit him on the face directly? It is all fine in movies, but I am a little confused seeing this in reality.
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

^^ Could be because he is Lefty.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

atreya, 4-5 inches is enough, especially for an experienced shooter.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

The AK series have 2-3 different kinds of fixed and folding butts available. The folding ones won't be visible from this angle. I'm sure he has the butt open and resting on his shoulder which will absorb most of the recoil.

One of the folding ones looks like this:

This is another one:

I have seen IA soldiers using both types.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

X posting from Spec Forces thread.....
vaibhav.n wrote: SNIP.............
Legend:
For the uninitiated a SF Battalion Organisation will be: Assault Squad<Assault Troop<Assault Team.
What is the size of each of the formations in terms of men?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

roughly equivalent to section<platoon<company

compared to inf formations, some functions might not be there, such as mortar, anti-tank etc. I would guess number of SF coy at around 80-100.
prudent not to delve any deeper.

@nachiket, they do and can fire w/o using the butt.
rrao
BRFite

Post by rrao »

i am unable to visit http://www.dscc.dla.mil or http://www.landandmaritime.dla.mil. Have these sites been blocked for indian users by US govt? can anybody confirm pls?
sourab_c
BRFite

Post by sourab_c »

Hi,

Can someone please explain the purpose of having SR-SAM, MR-SAM and LR-SAM instead of just a generic long range surface to air missile?

Thank You
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Because every missile has a minimum effective range for engagement ; a missile like Barak 1, RAM have minimum engagement range down to several hundred meters (below that is CIWS territory) while S-300 or PAC-II block would have a minimum engagement range of at least a couple of kms , THAAD or PAD like systems would have a even higher figure for this..
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Also, I don't think the longer range missiles, on account of being larger and heavier, are as manoeuverable as the shorter range missiles.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ yes but size is something which in turn depends on other factors. Rocket motor burn profile, number stages, guidance mode are others which have a direct bearing on the missiles minimum engagement range . All in all ASMs are not omni/multi role :)
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

rrao wrote:i am unable to visit http://www.dscc.dla.mil or http://www.landandmaritime.dla.mil. Have these sites been blocked for indian users by US govt? can anybody confirm pls?
Pretty much.. they reject Indian ISPs.
Mihir
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Mihir »

Can someone please explain the purpose of having SR-SAM, MR-SAM and LR-SAM instead of just a generic long range surface to air missile?
In addition to what Negi and Pratik wrote, there's the cost as well. Short range missiles are cheaper to produce, deploy, and maintain.
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

news to me that a military helicopter was shot down with loss to life by pakistan when mulayam yadav was defence minister. IIRC that was from 1996 to 1998
Mulayam said "I am revealing this today. When I was the defence minister and an Indian helicopter was shot down by Pakistan on the borders killing five Indian officers and jawans, we described the incident as an accident before the media but the same day I held a meeting with army chiefs and asked them to give a befitting reply to Pakistan. In the operation that followed, we destroyed more than 45 Pakistani bunkers and damaged another 70 plus. More than 100 enemy solders must have lost their lives in the operation
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 893824.cms