Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
aniket
BRFite

Re: Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

Post by aniket »

Has anyone ever noticed the sheer number of arms,equipment and weapons that both Indian and Pakistan use.I am making a list of such items.Feel free to pitch in or make corrections.

Small Arms
AK-47 and its various variants
M2 Browning
Glock 17
M4
MP5
Dragunov
Carl Gustav
RPG 7
Milan
M16

Aircraft
Il-78
C-130
Mi-17
Alouette 3
Aérospatiale SA-315B Lama
Sea king

Missiles
Exocet
member_22605
BRFite

Post by member_22605 »

My first post! Waited for almost a decade for this moment.
Bliss!
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

Welcome ji.
You are not alone in the wait. :)
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Does SPG recruit female guards??? I just spotted a heavy set woman shadowing Mrs. Kaur at the RD day parade.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Bala Vignesh wrote:Does SPG recruit female guards??? I just spotted a heavy set woman shadowing Mrs. Kaur at the RD day parade.
I spotted one shadowing the chief guest!! Wearing standard SPG type suit and having a TFTA earpiece.

Never had seen this before.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

I was scrolling through the list of gallantry award winners here
http://www.rediff.com/news/report/repub ... 120126.htm

I have a question. There are a number of them from other arms and services, but they were seconded to either RR or were doing the mandatory 1 year stint in an infantry battalion. BUT there are almost 3-5 from Regiment of Artillery, 33rd Field Regiment (and others too), which means, they won the gallantry award while serving in the artillery itself, yes? I wonder how, when and where we fought with artillery in the past year.
I wish I can get hold of the citations for these soldiers. I understand that gallantry is not necessarily in the face of an ENEMY, it might be in other areas. Still, I was curious about these artillery soldiers.

PS: I intend no disrespect to them, I am just curious about the circumstances in which they showed bravery and grit.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

european publisher of aircraft books

http://livres.histoireetcollections.com/en/themes/11
anand_sankar
BRFite

Post by anand_sankar »

I really recommend, gripping read:

American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History

authored by a former SEAL Chris Kyle.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Sniper-A ... 0062082353

Its also available in a Kindle edition. You don't have to buy a Kindle just download the Cloud Reader for Google Chrome.
Mayuresh
BRFite

Republic Day Celebrations Trivia :-)

Post by Mayuresh »

None of the regiments that march on Rajpath on Republic day are allowed to carry any ammunition in their weapons. We all know that there are no rounds in the tanks and the missiles are obviously either mock-ups or without warheads. But I did not know that the infantry too don't have bullets in their guns. Also, all of them have to clear security to be able to march! I can only imagine the regiments lining one after the other to go through a body scanner :D

The only folks who do have bullets in their guns are the Delhi Police, the para-military force on security duty (this time, it was the NSG) and the SPG.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^Well, from what I know, even the firing pin/mechanism of the rifles carried by the soldiers is disabled.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

The lessons of the Sadat assasination live long after :)
member_21074
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_21074 »

Query to senior members/mods :
Is there any thread to discuss Indian history? I am specially interested in Indus valley, vedic age and Mehrgarh Era.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

anisham wrote:Query to senior members/mods :
Is there any thread to discuss Indian history? I am specially interested in Indus valley, vedic age and Mehrgarh Era.
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... start=2360
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

^^ duh, that's not the one DM.

normal history : http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... =24&t=5248

military history : http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... f=3&t=3788

distortion of history in mainstream studies : http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... start=3080
Ramius
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ramius »

Hello guys, i had some queries regarding about some commonly quoted numbers and terms regarding submarine propulsion, since i am a newbie please forgive my limited knowledge. So here i go:
1. Why would a 6000 ton nuclear sub require a 80MW-200MW reactor, while a 3000 ton diesel electric sub just has a 4-6MW plant?
2. For a 2X increase in displacement why is there a more than 30X increase in power?(I know that power vs displacement don't have a linear relationship, can some one give the exact relation, i can't imagine it being exponential!!!!)
3. Further subs like U212, Gotland Class and Japanese Soryu class use AIP, for these systems the power to displacement ratio is very low.....(0.3MW/1800tons for u212, even less for Gotland)....how come they need so little power(considering only of course their AIP)???

Awaiting reply gurus........
Brando
BRFite

Post by Brando »

rajeshks wrote: if automatic weapons are so imp why the president's body guards are not carrying that..
The President's bodyguard is a mounted cavalry unit, the rules on horse back are different.

Mounted on a horse, the best thing to have is a spear, followed by a sword. Against a small group of attackers, cavalry is devastating - especially on flat ground where they can advance much faster than the defenders take them out. Plus, a mounted cavalry unit charging at you is intimidating as hell, even if you are standing behind a cannon!

It was only some time after the advent of the machine gun that cavalry units were phased out. But true, they should be also armed with automatic rifles.
Eric Leiderman
BRFite

Post by Eric Leiderman »

Hi Ramius
You seem to already know the answer. speed is propotional to the power raised to 3
Ramius
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ramius »

Hi Eric, i didnt know about that. My question is more abt displacement vs power disparity in case of N powered and conventional propulsion.Put another way why would an N powered Baracuda class have a 140+ MW plant but a Soryu class just 7MW(Both displace 4k tons, leaving aside endurance both have almost same capabilities in terms of speed, a diff of only 5-6 knots in max speed)?
aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

Ramius even i have that same question.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

^^ This is a good question.

The answer is all DE submarines always had limited undersea capabilities. Batteries are the prime mover underwater, and the diesels were used 1. on surface 2. snorting. Given that snorting drew limited air, hence diesels had to be compact. That is why earlier submarines on transit moved on surface and at night. Underwater speed and endurance was always limited and meagre because of the dependence on batteries and air for the prime mover.

Nuclear reactors are rated for thermal energy generated, and electrical power converted is lower. In addition, nuclear submarines have much higher underwater speed and infinite endurance proportionate to the power available. However, higher speeds are used only during transit, and typically, operational speeds are lower and comparable to DE submarines to enable silent running.
Ramius
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ramius »

Thanks tsarkar. That means 140 MW are not directly used for propulsion. This thermal energy is used for electricity generation. Assuming that for a sub of Baracuda/Soryu class u need 10MW electric motor @ 25 knots, then u get a thermal to electrical conversion ratio of around 7%. Isn't that very low?? Cant we use thermal energy to run a steam turbine to directly run a propeller?? This is a one step conversion hence energy loss would be low.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Why Pranab won't shift out of 13 Talkatora Road

Some insight into our Rajmata's moves on the chess board that is Indian politics. So Saint Anthony may finally move out this July.
Aides of Mukherjee dismissed the talk, saying he’d not leave the Talkatora Road house–unless he was going to move to the magnificent Rashtrapati Bhavan atop the Raisina Hills as the next President. But if you ask Mukherjee about his chances, as some scribes have done, he will tell you that his chances are bleak.
Those who know Mukherjee very closely say that he does not think that Congress president Sonia Gandhi will choose him over Defence Minister A K Antony to occupy that post when President Pratibha Patil retires in July this year.
Mukherjee believes Antony is her trusted nominee, whom she may prefer to have in the Rashtrapati Bhavan when the Lok Sabha polls are held in 2014. The occupant decides who is to be called to take charge as Prime Minister after the elections are over. In case of a number game, Sonia Gandhi would prefer Antony to ensure that her son, Rahul, doesn’t have a problem.
Eric Leiderman
BRFite

Post by Eric Leiderman »

Hi Ramius
Sorry if I came accross snooty in my last post.
Possibly why thermal power to Mech power is not used is a)noise b)space c)safety.

To convert a steam turbine rpm to a propellor rpm you would need a reduction gearbox
Approx rpm of a steam turbine 10K to 20K propellor rpm 150 to 250 rpm so a ratio of 1:8 to 1:10 reduction needed
This gearbox will be large heavy and noisy
Electrical generation is very versatile as far as rpm goes , the higher the rpm the smaller the altenator
Elecrtical power is also very flexible, because the power is offloaded using a cable/wires which can be bent left right up down.
So in theory an alternator could be on, deck 2 ,fwd and to the port side The elec motor would have to be aft on the centre line.

In a mech system the turbine, gearbox and shaft line do not give a whole lot of wiggle room as far as placement
goes they have to be mechanically aligned to a fraction a millimeter pretty much in a fore and aft configuration.

A sub being cramped this versatility would be essential.

A shaft line running through bouyancy voids(spaces) would make it suspect to leaks at the sealing glands
(Sealing glands would be located where the rotating shaft moves fm one watertight compartment to the next)
There may be more reasons and maybe somebody with sub experience could chip in.

The efficiency of the system is low because of two things.
The sub needs to be able to cruise at the surface too to maintain say 15 kts on the surface the power requirements will be higher (The hull is optomised for underwater operation)
Also a necluar reactor needs a fixed base load you cannot fulcuate the load real fast. So u produce excess steam and manage the load on the steam. (the excess steam is condensed (Which shows up as an inefficient power plant))
A lot of the energy of steam would be unusable. Because you are using the band of energy of steam in the superheated segment, So the wet steam (ie steam at low pressure mixed with droplets of water)
and the latent heat of steam to water is lost in the condensation process. Large shore based plants or N powered aircraft carriers use this energy to drive other auxilarys. Like flash evaporators, desalinators etc. A large diesel plant can have an efficiency of 50% + , a large marine steam plant would be hard pressed to achieve 30%
Ramius
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ramius »

Thanks Eric that was an awesome explanation.
Ramius
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ramius »

Gurus is there a way to know how much power would a propulsion system produce to drive a sub at a given speed and displacement?Eric you mentioned a proportionality relationship, can you elaborate?
Eric Leiderman
BRFite

Post by Eric Leiderman »

most of the formulas used by Naval Arc's are imperical, By that I mean learnt from experience, tank tests etc
There are two powers here , the power produced by the power plant and the thrust of the propellor
Its been a while since I have read up on naval arc but The parameters are power raised to 3 width, draft , shape (these become the wetted surface, suprisingly length does not reduce speed, there are a few more parameters but would have to open up some books blow the dust off them
As has been discussed on this forum before the propellor is the most important component as it is where there are the most losses in therotical to applied power occur, So it is not so cut and dried. As all designs go there is a bit of art in it. Thats where the experience factor comes in.
VinayG
BRFite

Post by VinayG »

I have always wondered did we ever tried to invent our own piston or turbo props engine?

Is there any project in pipeline or undertaken to build our own turbo prop engine so that we can design our own light transport to medium comparable to Dornier and an32?

is there any such project which will be undertaken in near future?

request members to please provide valid info

thank you

vinay
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

can anybody confirm if this is a genuine account of Dr. Annadurai

http://twitter.com/annaduraim_isro

Thanks
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Found a nice link kind of aero engines for dummies. Nice animation too for the turbofan/turbojet/turboprop engines

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/shortp.html
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Post by shiv »

tsarkar wrote: Lastly, my countrymen, Indian Navy is strong today because it’s professional, and not because it’s Indian. Ethnicity has never won battles throughout history across the world. Professionalism has on every occasion.
sarkarji, professionalism wins battles. Ethnicity tilts the balance between victory and defeat in war. Ethnicity must not be ignored, but needs to be given its rightful place.

Why did the British have regiments based on ethnicity? Was that professional, do you think?
arnab
BRFite

Post by arnab »

shiv wrote:sarkarji, professionalism wins battles. Ethnicity tilts the balance between victory and defeat in war. Ethnicity must not be ignored, but needs to be given its rightful place.

Why did the British have regiments based on ethnicity? Was that professional, do you think?
Shiv saar quick question - do any other armies have regiments based on ethnicity? US regiments are based on geography is it not? I guess the argument being men from same towns are friends etc, so you fight more cohesively. I remember reading that in ancient Sparta the commanders encouraged the soldiers to become lovers - the concept being you fight more furiously to save your lover.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

arnab wrote:
shiv wrote:sarkarji, professionalism wins battles. Ethnicity tilts the balance between victory and defeat in war. Ethnicity must not be ignored, but needs to be given its rightful place.

Shiv saar quick question - do any other armies have regiments based on ethnicity? US regiments are based on geography is it not? I guess the argument being men from same towns are friends etc, so you fight more cohesively. I remember reading that in ancient Sparta the commanders encouraged the soldiers to become lovers - the concept being you fight more furiously to save your lover.

That is quite unlikely. From what I hear, Sparta was one of the few places in ancient Greece where homosexuality was discouraged and taboo. In fact their criticism is well-documented. Maybe you are thinking about the "Sacred Band of Thebes."
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

The British Army was traditionally built around ethnic regiments. Here is a partial list:

Cavalry
4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards
2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys)
5th Royal Irish Lancers
6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons
8th King's Royal Irish Hussars

Infantry
Scots Guards
The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment)
The Royal Irish Regiment
Princess Louise's (Sutherland and Argyll Highlanders)
Royal Irish Fusiliers
The Royal Scots Fusiliers
The Royal Highland Regiment (Blackwatch)
The Cameronians (Scotch Rifles)
The Gordon Highlanders
Etc.

Even English regiments were organized around territorially based identities, eg.
The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment)
The Northumberland Fusiliers

While the 'British' identity may have appeared more homogenous during the 20th century, there is a long tradition of regionalism, as in may other countries. Regiments were territorially organized for precisely the reasons mention by Arnab.

Similarly, Germany had very strong pre-WW2 sub regional identities. So much so that the German Emperor was legally primus inter pares. Consequently, each German Kingdom maintained their own regiments (Saxony, Bavaria, Baden, Wurttemberg,Prussia). Even within the Prussian Army, Gaurds regiments were recruited almost exclusively from what is today the state of Brandenburg, whereas after the incorporation of Hannoverian forces in 1871, Hannoverian regiments continued local recuritment.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

>> I remember reading that in ancient Sparta the commanders encouraged the soldiers to become lovers - the concept being you fight more furiously to save your lover.

thebes, not sparta. the sacred band of thebes was the elite shock infantry of the theban army and was made exclusively from gay couples. they had an impeccable record until wiped out by philip of macedon at the battle of chaeronea.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

IA did attempt limited all class regiments - with Brigade of the Guards being the first example - but the benefits of class/region based regiments are far too many. These regiments imitate the heterogenous nature of our society.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Rahul M wrote:>> I remember reading that in ancient Sparta the commanders encouraged the soldiers to become lovers - the concept being you fight more furiously to save your lover.

thebes, not sparta. the sacred band of thebes was the elite shock infantry of the theban army and was made exclusively from gay couples. they had an impeccable record until wiped out by philip of macedon at the battle of chaeronea.
Admins!!!! :(( :(( please ban rogue admin Rahul M for discussing off-topic stuff in IN dhaaga!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

<runs away to Kave Kamplex>
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

this unseemly spectacle of veterans being attacked can best be summed up as: