Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chimmalgi
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by chimmalgi »

Maybe cops on the right are not riot control, they are probably regulars
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

ssmitra,

The US military's troop movements are built around mounted transport (whether ground based or airborne) and the need for a average GI joe to proceed on foot is a lot less than an Indian Jawan. This includes exercises such as those held at NTC. While there is no doubt US Army also has forced marches during basic training etc. for its troops, I dont think they are forced to rely on it on the scale of the Indian Army. Also the US military is the most well-fed well-supplied military in the world by a large margin...so it can sustain the 'fuel' requirement of its large-sized GIs even in the middle of combat. However, even in their military you will notice a lot of slim types and not too many Arnie/Stallone-sized types in their special forces....these units train rigorously for on-foot insertion and long treks including existing for long periods on limited rations.

I would say an average Jawan in IA is a lot more used to long treks on foot with lower 'fuel' requirements as compared to an average GI. I don't know if there is any official study on this kind of stuff but definitely have anecdotal evidence from guys I know. One guy who was part of an exchange group to India once told me he cannot fathom how those Indian dudes could eat (as he termed it) simple vegetarian soup and keep patrolling for long periods without getting tired. So it defends on your definition of fitness.....if fitness means benching 300lbs then an average US GI is considered fitter,...if fitness means subsisting on limited/simple rations while maintaining respectable operational capability and endurance....the average IA jawan is definitely better. Ofcourse why this is the case is a whole new discussion on the gym culture in US, better nutrition etc. etc.

Re.combat loads....I dont remember exactly but I think troops who trek to their posts in areas like Siachin possibly haul much more (in that rarefied altitude!) than the standard weight....I might be wrong on this though.
Sorry for going off-topic.
ssmitra wrote: While I understand the jingoistic love for our jawans
What makes you think that the average GI does not have to undergo the usual forced marches and maintain stamina and fitness required during active service. The fitness level of of active duty american soldiers is not more or less than the average Indian Soldier.

Does anyone here know that standard pack weight of an Indian Infantryman?
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

ssmitra wrote:
MukulMohanty wrote:Nope, it's a common misconception that wheeled APC is better than those with Tracks. Tracks are easier to fix on the field. They are more flexible over terrain. Plus, no one can blow your tyres out.
I don't think better but supposed to be more complementary for mech infantry units. wheeled APC provide faster recce and scout units.

Blowing out tyres with rifle bullets have become redundant in modern APC's with the use of run flat capability and I think in some (I am not sure which one, saw it on military channel, may be the Pandur II) almost half of the volume of the tyre is made up of "rubber" (or whatever reinforce material they use) and only half is actually meant to be filled with air.
IMHO IA in kashmir uses mesh of chains on rubber tyres of trucks to prevent them from slipping on snow. So, I guess, tracked vehicles should provide better traction on either snow clad or rocky terrain like the one shown in pic. The only pros that I can think of is the mobility that the wheeled systems provide over tracked.

Cheers....
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Great pictures.
Chinese wearing "digital" kind of camouflage and INSAS with drum magazines. Seeing them both for first time.
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

jamwal wrote:Great pictures.
...and INSAS with drum magazines. Seeing them both for first time.
jamwal, those are not drum magazines, they are cartridge collectors.

could someone upload these images to some other site.
the china mil server is very slow and it's takes ages to load.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Nice pic...real smart looking dudes..

Are they the MARCOS or the NSG?
Shyam_K
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shyam_K »

sum wrote:Nice pic...real smart looking dudes..

Are they the MARCOS or the NSG?
I am guessing they are SFF
ashdivay
BRFite

Post by ashdivay »

someone got Pics of Indo-UK ex held in aug 2008 in UK? anyone got info about this ?
i saw some pics from APF in gettyimages.com

Thanks
Ash
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Brar - thanks

Source please

and if you scanned it can you scan a higher res pic.
Babui
BRFite

Post by Babui »

Which unit went to the UK?
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

Babui
They are from Bravo Coy, 16 Mech Inf.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

What are the round black "things" on the helmets and BPJs of the IA men?

Which unit is the British guy with the green beret(in one of the pics) from?
ashdivay
BRFite

Post by ashdivay »

sum wrote:What are the round black "things" on the helmets and BPJs of the IA men?

Which unit is the British guy with the green beret(in one of the pics) from?
i am not sure but i think they act as small receivers which when are hit with infra red or laser fired from emmiters on rifles let the computer know that who shot who . if u someone shoots at u the laser from their rifle hits one of these recivers and a sound goes off which lets u know that u are dead.
u will see on their rifles that they have transmitters.

this is pretty effective way to train.
the ammo is blank so recoil and sound is real . but no projectile comes out from front.

i dont know what exactly is name for this system. but i know India also has something similar. i have seen pic of 2 gorkha men in one somewhere online. many years ago. May be someone can find that pic again.

Anyway TY
Ash
ashdivay
BRFite

Post by ashdivay »

rajkhalsa wrote:non-watermarked pics:
How where ? did u get em pics without watermarks ?
Last edited by Rahul M on 17 Sep 2008 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please don't quote a whole post full of pics for an one-liner reply ! think of the people with low BW! thanks.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

mukul

we have it.

:D - Always an issue of having it in numbers

but we have it.

If we go through BR pictures carefully - you will find one proof of it. :)
MukulMohanty
BRFite -Trainee

Post by MukulMohanty »

But we don't have an SA-80! I went tank driving one day and met a lot of ex-marines who couldn't stop complaining what an aweful weapon it was! So if you think we complained about the INSAS!
HariC
BRFite

Post by HariC »

surya means the laser marker - exercise kill counter whatchamacallit. not the SA-80. seen plenty of pics of our guys using it (plenty ~ 1 or 2!)
MukulMohanty
BRFite -Trainee

Post by MukulMohanty »

The funny problem with these are that they do not record head shots. So you effectively have to aim for the helmet to record a shot. The good part is that the laser is so thin that you need to have an absolute clear shot to kill, if there is a leaf between you and your kill, it will not record the shot.

Hence, what happens is a lot more ammo gets wasted. These guns would make the same noise and fire blanks just like any other but you realise you are going through ammo like water and you are unable to kill cause the other bloke is hiding in the bloody bushes!
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Mukul

what are you talking about

the sensors are all over and depending on which one it can record it as wounded , dead etc.

Of course it is not perfect but..
MukulMohanty
BRFite -Trainee

Post by MukulMohanty »

Nope the sensors aren't all over. I have played this game- the sensors are in your flakjacket, your helmet and your weapon. They are no sensors (all of them are wire connected) in your lower torso or legs.

As a result, it doesn't recognise leg wounds. The other problem is that the whole sensor thing is wired, as a result its slightly cumbersome. Secondly, you load the clip and then have to press a button to press reload! Btw, the other good part is that it does have a working USGL which has a range of about 10 meters and you score at 30 degree angle on all jokers around there.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

Mukul is right the System is very limited today. 10-15 years ago it was a great training aid but not so much today. I have heard that the Indian Army is also planning to switch over to Wax Bullet training over the laser tag system.
Anshul
BRFite

Post by Anshul »

One thing is evident AHQ has learnt its lessons.All overseas assignments are mighty well kitted.Nobody can take the IA as a rag tag force now.We have been a disciplined army with a great history.Time now to be a well dressed one.
ssmitra
BRFite

Post by ssmitra »

rkhanna wrote:Mukul is right the System is very limited today. 10-15 years ago it was a great training aid but not so much today. I have heard that the Indian Army is also planning to switch over to Wax Bullet training over the laser tag system.
Actually the laser tag system has become very popular with the European forces because it makes it very easy to track squad or unit movements over large area. It has specially been useful to integrate the former Warsaw pact countries (poland, hungary, czeck republic etc) with the Old Nato forces in terms of joint rapid deployment and rapid company size movements etc. Usually it seems whenever they have joint excercises they first have a week or so of "laser tag" and before moving on to more realistic scenarios.
ssmitra
BRFite

Post by ssmitra »

sum wrote: Which unit is the British guy with the green beret(in one of the pics) from?
I think they were supposed to be from the Mercian Regiment
MukulMohanty
BRFite -Trainee

Post by MukulMohanty »

ssmitra wrote:
rkhanna wrote:Mukul is right the System is very limited today. 10-15 years ago it was a great training aid but not so much today. I have heard that the Indian Army is also planning to switch over to Wax Bullet training over the laser tag system.
Actually the laser tag system has become very popular with the European forces because it makes it very easy to track squad or unit movements over large area. It has specially been useful to integrate the former Warsaw pact countries (poland, hungary, czeck republic etc) with the Old Nato forces in terms of joint rapid deployment and rapid company size movements etc. Usually it seems whenever they have joint excercises they first have a week or so of "laser tag" and before moving on to more realistic scenarios.

That is true, my friend's from Germany who did training worked with laser tags and blanks. Most of them (as they were doing mandatory military training) even wore ear plugs (never heard orders, ran the wrong way!). Laser tags to be honest are very realistic, the ones I did, had inbuilt speakers on the gun which were styled as SA-80 and they were bloody loud. The grenade launcher was absolutely useless and I ended up knocking my own mates. The other thing about laser tags is that once you are 'shot', you never know how you got shot (at least in our version.) You just got shot which was a tad bit irritating as we were never able to analyse how we lost the left flank till we saw someone perched up 10 meters in a tree taking pot shots at us.
ashdivay
BRFite

Post by ashdivay »

MukulMohanty wrote:
ssmitra wrote: Actually the laser tag system has become very popular with the European forces because it makes it very easy to track squad or unit movements over large area. It has specially been useful to integrate the former Warsaw pact countries (poland, hungary, czeck republic etc) with the Old Nato forces in terms of joint rapid deployment and rapid company size movements etc. Usually it seems whenever they have joint excercises they first have a week or so of "laser tag" and before moving on to more realistic scenarios.

That is true, my friend's from Germany who did training worked with laser tags and blanks. Most of them (as they were doing mandatory military training) even wore ear plugs (never heard orders, ran the wrong way!). Laser tags to be honest are very realistic, the ones I did, had inbuilt speakers on the gun which were styled as SA-80 and they were bloody loud. The grenade launcher was absolutely useless and I ended up knocking my own mates. The other thing about laser tags is that once you are 'shot', you never know how you got shot (at least in our version.) You just got shot which was a tad bit irritating as we were never able to analyse how we lost the left flank till we saw someone perched up 10 meters in a tree taking pot shots at us.
Hmmm nice story . haha

tell me this if ur using blank rounds why do u need speakers to make sound ? Do u know what blanks are ?
ashdivay
BRFite

Post by ashdivay »

Anshul wrote:One thing is evident AHQ has learnt its lessons.All overseas assignments are mighty well kitted.Nobody can take the IA as a rag tag force now.We have been a disciplined army with a great history.Time now to be a well dressed one.
there is nothing wrong with the way IA dresses. the BDUS in the pics are borrowed from the brits.
IA dont need to dress like Brit or US troops. The equipment used by IA in kashmir and other areas are perfect. IA forces have acomplished ops in better capacity then NATO forces being dressed the way Indian Tax payers could provide them with. Good eg of this is Serria Leon.
MukulMohanty
BRFite -Trainee

Post by MukulMohanty »

Hmmm nice story . haha

tell me this if ur using blank rounds why do u need speakers to make sound ? Do u know what blanks are ?[/quote]

We didn't fire blanks my friend. But everything else in that was real, the blowback the sound came from the speaker built into what you would normally call the magazine. As a result the damn thing would sound of right next to your ear! Not nice.

This wasn't an actual gun but a very close replica which is still used in training for recruits. The smoke factor came from the smoke grenades spewed around and built in 'explosions' all around which gave a strong smell of gunpowder.
ssmitra
BRFite

Post by ssmitra »

ashdivay wrote:
Anshul wrote:One thing is evident AHQ has learnt its lessons.All overseas assignments are mighty well kitted.Nobody can take the IA as a rag tag force now.We have been a disciplined army with a great history.Time now to be a well dressed one.
there is nothing wrong with the way IA dresses. the BDUS in the pics are borrowed from the brits.
IA dont need to dress like Brit or US troops. The equipment used by IA in kashmir and other areas are perfect. IA forces have acomplished ops in better capacity then NATO forces being dressed the way Indian Tax payers could provide them with. Good eg of this is Serria Leon.
That is exactly the attitude which the ministry seems to have. Our jawans are rough and tough and have done so much better than the rest of the world so why should even think about making life for them a little better. We should not learn from others lets make our own mistakes and pretend everything is allright since the jawans are trained enough to face hardships and not complain, after all we don't have to go out there and fight or have endless patrols in the most rugged terrain. Let them have boots designed in WWII, pithoos designed even before that, and socks oooh let me tell you about socks, these days they are not even made of pure wool anymore like they used to be till 1980's. Now its polyester, which does not wick the sweat and once wet has no air circulation (this is from a AMC buddy of mine who claims an almost 200% rise in cases of athletes foot among the jawans.)

I think they deserve better than that. you may not agree but hey the jawans make sure you have the right to not agree.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

ssmitra-saar, your views seem informed and anti-wicking socks is a crime if true. I am not condoning that aspect, fyi. My reply is aimed more at this generic "ragtag" view that seem to permeate people who watch too much of western news channels.

nobody ever took IA to be a ragtag force. not even the dullard paki jernails.

There might be a reason for the non-conformal look of Indian soldiers on internal security duties versus foreign assignments. A smartly kitted up soldier in an area with lower penetration of tech might not be a good idea. Particularly for long-duration COIN. In the first place, the population know that their primary purpose is to inflict pain. They become something that 99% of civilians do not want to be around. The local population will treat them as equivalent to the mythical monster of the locality: an alien creature that can inflict fatality in unknown ways and yet is protected by a layer of magic. This is what is happening to western troops in the current conflict zones. They look highly self-sufficient (read insular) and capable of inflicting serious damage. They dont give the impression of needing anything from the civilians of that locality, including information (hell, everyone likes a good gossiper, even if dressed in BDUs or reeks of MI persona :) ). That might have been good if you are punching through Warsaw armour. But as General Petraeus has figured out, it is not helping them tamp down a population that is uneasy. They are in a dilemna - how to appear less threatening, yet have less coffins draped with the Old Glory? One of the reasons for the Blackwater folks getting a lot of contracts is probably this factor: how to not stick out like a sore thumb amongst the dusty lanes of Bhagdad. It is a different matter that they blow it up by wearing oakleys, tattoos and goatees.

Whatever US Govt propaganda says, the current fully-kitted US Infantry soldier has turned into the modern day equivalent of a long line of well-kitted but well-disliked western soldiers through history. Roman legionaries, british redcoats, german SS etc are a few that come to mind. Yeah, they are effective in a narrow band (punching out the adversary), but their effectiveness makes them end up as a terror weapon. IA probably never wanted to have the look of a self-contained expeditionary soldier, festooned with all the tools of the deadly trade. Especially for internal security duties. The nearest (I say nearest in relative terms, though in actual terms it is quite far) thing to a Kashmir situation is when US national guards are in FEMA mode, inside continental US. They are a lot more relaxed in their gear.

Pentagon is changing. Witness Petraeus rewriting the infantry manual before he took over the surge. So an Indian thinking that IA was ever ragtag is a glorious tribute to one Mr Macaulay.
Jaeger
BRFite

Post by Jaeger »

I'm sorry but I thoroughly beg to differ.

For one, it's not about 'looking good' etc. etc., it's about a level of standardisation and professionalism. If there are 5 guys walking towards you, each wearing a different BDU, can you be sure that they're friendly? Should you wait until they're within damage-causing range (assuming they're fidayeen types)?

is our ballistic protection really world class? i don't even mean TFTA Gold Std or anything, but is it effective protection in a COIN environment? From helmets to BPJs to pads, to innerwear (like socks) - do we have a standard that EVERY single soldier has access to? is it the best possible std WRT the money being spent on procurement? can a better std be achieved?

And please, you're 'well-equipped == not friendly-looking' doesn't cut ice at all. Psychologically speaking, the single most intimidating factor of dress anywhere are reflective sunglasses. It's a well-known fact that not being able to see another's eyes and even worse just seeing a reflection of yourself, is a real intimidating factor. How many IA troops you see on duty with eye wear?

And finally, wouldn't the populace be even more comfortable with a soldier who isn't even in uniform? and has a beard? and visits the mosques with them 5 times a day? how far are you going to go?

i would think that soldier protection and 'self-sufficiency' rate higher than making the populace feel that the soldier 'needs' them. :roll:
Anshul
BRFite

Post by Anshul »

Bang on the spot!We need to be well equipped with good quality kits even if "gold standard" is restricted to a few units like the paras.I still don't see the latest camo being adopted across the board within the IA.I understand that its in progress.

The boots and the helmets are still an eye-sore.Something needs to be done about this too.Probably the IA top brass doesn't want to issue expensive gear for a reason.They will end up being sold in the local market by the jawans themselves.Remember the controversy on Mountain Gear meant for Saichen being hawked in the open market.Ladakh has many shops selling standard issue jackets...boots,binos and even DRDL packaged food...to be precise.

Probaby RFID can be used to ensure that proper distribution and store keeping happens.The ASC needs to revamp its supply chain and ensure that stuff meant for the jawans doesn't land in the local market.
ashdivay
BRFite

Post by ashdivay »

ssmitra wrote:
ashdivay wrote: there is nothing wrong with the way IA dresses. the BDUS in the pics are borrowed from the brits.
That is exactly the attitude which the ministry seems to have. Our jawans are rough and tough and have done so much better than the rest of the world so why should even think about making life for them a little better. We should not learn from others lets make our own mistakes and pretend everything is allright since the jawans are trained enough to face hardships and not complain, after all we don't have to go out there and fight or have endless patrols in the most rugged terrain. Let them have boots designed in WWII, pithoos designed even before that, and socks oooh let me tell you about socks, these days they are not even made of pure wool anymore like they used to be till 1980's. Now its polyester, which does not wick the sweat and once wet has no air circulation (this is from a AMC buddy of mine who claims an almost 200% rise in cases of athletes foot among the jawans.)

I think they deserve better than that. you may not agree but hey the jawans make sure you have the right to not agree.
Yea the Jawans make sure i have a right to not agree with someone whos sitting in US and has a right to state what IA should be after all US MIL gives him this right.
ashdivay
BRFite

Post by ashdivay »

MukulMohanty wrote:Hmmm nice story . haha

tell me this if ur using blank rounds why do u need speakers to make sound ? Do u know what blanks are ?

We didn't fire blanks my friend. But everything else in that was real, the blowback the sound came from the speaker built into what you would normally call the magazine. As a result the damn thing would sound of right next to your ear! Not nice.

This wasn't an actual gun but a very close replica which is still used in training for recruits. The smoke factor came from the smoke grenades spewed around and built in 'explosions' all around which gave a strong smell of gunpowder.[/quote]

Sure it was. lol
ashdivay
BRFite

Post by ashdivay »

Anshul wrote:Bang on the spot!We need to be well equipped with good quality kits even if "gold standard" is restricted to a few units like the paras.I still don't see the latest camo being adopted across the board within the IA.I understand that its in progress.

The boots and the helmets are still an eye-sore.Something needs to be done about this too.Probably the IA top brass doesn't want to issue expensive gear for a reason.They will end up being sold in the local market by the jawans themselves.Remember the controversy on Mountain Gear meant for Saichen being hawked in the open market.Ladakh has many shops selling standard issue jackets...boots,binos and even DRDL packaged food...to be precise.

Probaby RFID can be used to ensure that proper distribution and store keeping happens.The ASC needs to revamp its supply chain and ensure that stuff meant for the jawans doesn't land in the local market.
Whos gonna pay for it ???? Indian Tax payers ? my point is we should equip IA with what Indian Tax payers can support and not what people living in foreign lands think IA should be equipped with after all they don't have to pay for it. If they want IA to dress like US mil then let them Dream about it. It aint gonna happen unless Indian Tax payers can support it. I am glad we have smarter people in our gov and Def establishment who can consider all facts before they decide what IA should be equiped with.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

ashdivay wrote:Sure it was. lol
what exactly is the point of these sarcastic comments ?
ashdivay
BRFite

Post by ashdivay »

Rahul M wrote:
ashdivay wrote:Sure it was. lol
what exactly is the point of these sarcastic comments ?
Nothing just delete it .
Anshul
BRFite

Post by Anshul »

ashdivay wrote:
Anshul wrote:Bang on the spot!We need to be well equipped with good quality kits even if "gold standard" is restricted to a few units like the paras.I still don't see the latest camo being adopted across the board within the IA.I understand that its in progress.

Whos gonna pay for it ???? Indian Tax payers ? my point is we should equip IA with what Indian Tax payers can support and not what people living in foreign lands think IA should be equipped with after all they don't have to pay for it. If they want IA to dress like US mil then let them Dream about it. It aint gonna happen unless Indian Tax payers can support it. I am glad we have smarter people in our gov and Def establishment who can consider all facts before they decide what IA should be equiped with.
Ha Ha....that sounds kiddish.Imagine how man winters worth of good quality gear can be bought with the amount of money we spend on VVIP security for our dhoti wallahs.

Money my friend isn't bigger than human life.India is not a poor country dude.Wake up!We lack transparent distribution and accountability of all the Tax Payer's Money.

Executive Jets and Choppers with State of the Art Gizmos for Netas who aren't worth shit.The Indian Jawan is the most deserving candidate for receiving the Tax Payer's Money.The Jawan is the only person who gets his hand dirty and puts his life on the line for the sake of the Nation.

If my IT deductions were called National Security Tax and passed onto the Armed Forces.I wouldn't flinch a muscle.Nor would any other BRFite.

Get them good gear,get their kids schooled,get their families insured and The Jawan will be the most confident looking chap this side of the Atlantic.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Guys

please delete your posts.

This is the pictures thread.

Take your discussion offline
ashdivay
BRFite

Post by ashdivay »

Sorry . but if moderators want they can remove the post.