Quick Clot Kits For Jawans - 1st Round Donations Delivered!!

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Re: Buying Quick Clot Kits For Our Jawans - A Humble Proposal

Post by Gaurav_S »

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Shivji,

See the link SunilUpa put up earlier. http://www.z-medica.com/quikclot/index.asp

Please keep this thread open and I'm happy to contribute, just tell me how.
devendra.singh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by devendra.singh »

I got fired recently, am busy giving interviews, have got time if any footwork needs to be done in Delhi
dev.kuku@yahoo.co.in
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Should we try and get some media involvement as well, to highlight the issue again?
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

^^^
ASPuar,

Maybe Vishnu could be roped into help out if he is able to.

How can Jingos outside desh help???

Happy to help monetarily as I think it would be the most efficient way for mujahids outside Desh.

Regards,
Anand.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

ppl like me living in Massa will ofcourse help with funds but if there arises some queries which have to be directed at Z-Medica requiring phone calls etc. I can help out there too. Z-Medica is based in Wallingford, Connecticut.

PayPal is most convenient for funds transfer but if anybody knows any Indian bank which offers similar service (without requiring the sender to have an a/c in that bank) that might be worth looking into.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Bose babu can all ppl in the us send it to one person who could then send it to Des
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Someone in Delhi can ring or may be see the distributor and talk about buying clot in bulk and ask them price of QuickClot APS and APS+. Perhaps can tell them our humble project and may do some bargaining on price. :wink:

Quality in massa or Delhi should be the same.

Also has someone got idea of how many kits would be helpful? 50-100-500?

Added later: Better we get this moving as quick as possible as situation in J&K doesnt look good at the moment as per the news reports. Major coin op seems in the horizon.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

One suggestion put up was to use the B-R donation PayPal link for the purpose. Adminullahs, any comments on the feasbility of that?
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

^^^

That is a good idea, or if someone is willing to accept cheques, we could post them to that person.

I would suggest that we have one or two people that collects cheques for all people not resident in India and then forwards the lump sum to a designated person in India. This avoids having to pay multiple bank charges on individual cheques.

Since this is a global effort, I wonder if we could have a quick count of how many currencies we will be seeing. $ and £ are for sure, any other currencies that we need to consider?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

gauravsurati wrote:Someone in Delhi can ring or may be see the distributor and talk about buying clot in bulk and ask them price of QuickClot APS and APS+. Perhaps can tell them our humble project and may do some bargaining on price. :wink:

Quality in massa or Delhi should be the same.

Also has someone got idea of how many kits would be helpful? 50-100-500?

Added later: Better we get this moving as quick as possible as situation in J&K doesnt look good at the moment as per the news reports. Major coin op seems in the horizon.
One thing you need to be careful about.

Would it be possible to make sure that the Army does accept donations of this sort.

Not that they don't need or want it - but central govt organizations have some funny laws about donations.

I am not sure how IIT alumni went about contributing to their alma mater. When a bunch of my medical college alumni tried it on our Central Govt institution we hit a roadblock in that the institution was not authorized to receive external funding of this sort.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

Gentlemen, sorry to be nitpicking, all are acting as if "Quick Clot"
is absolutely necessary , without which no IA personal can be saved.

Though am no Surgeon, but have almost a decade of experience in
Med.evac. particularly, injured armed forces Personals.

The experience tells me that proper , timely first aid & fast evacuation is what saves
the life, not some fancy dressing. This can only be achieved with training of on field personal,
coz they are the one who are there, Doctors, are farther back afield.

Instead of developing a proper training and logistics, "Quick Clot" supply will not save any lives.

and what about the training in the use of "Quick Clot", is it use is kinda like cooking Maggie 2 min noodle?
what are the indications and contraindications(every medication have it), shelve life, storing method,etc,etc
who is to train end users the Jawans? coz it would be an oxymoron, if it is use is limited to in-Hospital use, no?
lot of questions, please think clearly and then jump to action.

thanks to bear me rants.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Ajay many of these points have been discussed one page 1.

Nevertheless I think QwikClot will be an asset.
sreeji
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sreeji »

I am a bit confused here. If this kit is so important in saving lives, then the army would have bought them on their own already. Arent we underestimating them here. Even if we consider that they are not buying it because of administrative inneficiencies, it would me more practical to make them buy it on their own by using the media. Money is definitely not a problem for the army. Morover, since it is election time, media can be effectively used to highlight this with instant results. Rather than collecting money to buy the kits for the army we must collect money to highlight this issue in the media. It will also lead to the people responsible for this to be punished.

I still hope though that this is not an administrative lapse on the part of the army.
kobe
BRFite

Post by kobe »

Sreerag_s,

while you can do it through media and by other means to
have them purchase it on their own, lives can be saved NOW.

That is the purpose of BRF volunteers work.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

1. Those of us in masa land - It is better to pool our contribution and then send it, if we could use BR paypal it will be great.
2. We need to know whether ordinary citizens can buy ACS+ grade of quiklot, if not Ray saheb/Mandeep have to intervene. Shiv saar should be able to buy.
3. quikclot acs+ costs around $26/pack here in masaland. Please find out the cost.
4. Media involvement - may not be wise as it may raise some embarrassing questions (not that I mind that), but if IA refuses to donation, then some needy soldiers will miss these. So think this over, may be consult Ray saheb, Mandeep and their contacts.
5. We should donate minimum of 100 packs - $2600 in masaland, may coast more in India.
devendra.singh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by devendra.singh »

sunilUpa wrote:1. Those of us in masa land - It is better to pool our contribution and then send it, if we could use BR paypal it will be great.
2. We need to know whether ordinary citizens can buy ACS+ grade of quiklot, if not Ray saheb/Mandeep have to intervene. Shiv saar should be able to buy.
3. quikclot acs+ costs around $26/pack here in masaland. Please find out the cost.
4. Media involvement - may not be wise as it may raise some embarrassing questions (not that I mind that), but if IA refuses to donation, then some needy soldiers will miss these. So think this over, may be consult Ray saheb, Mandeep and their contacts.
5. We should donate minimum of 100 packs - $2600 in masaland, may coast more in India.
So anyone willing to be the bank(as in collect the fund)?
If anyone could contact the RR in J&K we could time the effort with them so that when ever they send a man to get these kits we could give them whatever we can, that way it goes directly to them and no one (media or the army) will know about it.

If there is a need to contact the dealer in malviya nagar personally to get this information i can go talk to them i live in Hauz Khas (malviya nagar is next doors).
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

But, 6% of a Billion dollars can be justified for some banking stuff!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil:
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Per first post on page 1:
The price of QuikClot works out to Rs 3,640 per unit.
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Devendra ji if its ok with you can you see them? Cost of ACS+ in massa (approx $26)looks half the price compared to Rs 3600 something as from the news report.

Can you pls see them and confirm the price for both ACS and ACS+ from malviya nagar? We would be mainly interested in ACS+ Also would be good to clarify if ordinary jingos can buy it?

If price in massa is significantly less then guys in massa can buy from there & ship to Desh.

Please share your ideas or if am wrong.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Are you chaps serious about this?

I can write to a Corps Cdr in an active area that we will be sending him Quick Clots.

However, first organise a body who will buy the stuff and despatch it.

Without meaning any offence, I am asking this since I don't what to appear a fool when nothing arrives and it appears a gimmick.I am sure you too, if you were in my position, would feel the way I feel. This boy happens to be my Company Officer and I don't wish to cut sorry figure before him!

I will sound him and see his reaction.

I can say this that no one will take cash contribution, but should not be averse to taking aid in kind for the troops!

There is another way to do it. There is an Armed Forces magazine (just started, about a year ago) by ex servicemen including Maroof Raza. Write to them. They have the write contact and they will publicise this through their magazine. The magazine is called Salute to the Indian Soldier
http://www.salute.co.in/04102008/about.html
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Very serious I will help my brothers as much as i can. Atleast two kits from my side.
devendra.singh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by devendra.singh »

gauravsurati wrote:Devendra ji if its ok with you can you see them? Cost of ACS+ in massa (approx $26)looks half the price compared to Rs 3600 something as from the news report.

Can you pls see them and confirm the price for both ACS and ACS+ from malviya nagar? We would be mainly interested in ACS+ Also would be good to clarify if ordinary jingos can buy it?

If price in massa is significantly less then guys in massa can buy from there & ship to Desh.

Please share your ideas or if am wrong.
Any more questions you can think of gaurav ji

Its better if i ask them more at a time, we could see if he has the contact number of any one from the RR (as they have the only shop selling it), really any other question would be nice, i will go see them around 3pm today, if any other question remains then please do give em by then.

If a package arrives from another nation it will go through customs, might not end up making a difference.

If this can happen then lets start pooling in whatever money we can.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Ray sir, Please sound your contact out if possible, just to be sure that: (a) something like this contribution is acceptable, and (b) the chaps at the Army end who will receive these kits wont get into trouble due to some petty govt. rules enforced by equally petty babus.

I think everybody involved here is pretty serious but it is also very unlikely that fixed dates can be committed to regarding when exactly the stuff will reach the units concerned (then again it wont be far out in the future either), since it seems like it might have to be bought in US and shipped to India, given the huge price disparity I see. That way we might be able to get in more kits for same amount of contribution even after factoring in FedEx/DHL cost.

However one potential roadblock in shipping from massa can be the volume of kits being shipped. Is there any jingo in the medical/pharma field here who can give some clue whether large volume shipments of such kits/medicines might require prior clearance from customs etc. because in the end if the QuikClot kits are lying in some port/customs shed for months, then they are as useful to our soldiers as sawdust!
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

I believe irrespective of whether the kits are bought here in massa and shipped or in India ; it is clear that we all will be contributing 'x' amount so lets just do it . Now the main question is how does one transfer the funds ? I mean have we all decided and agreed upon a common mode of payment ?
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Other thing we need to think about is gathering funds. Has someone got idea if Paypal can cater what we intend to do? or may be bank account?

devendra ji thanks for your time. Will keep you posted before 3pm if something arises.

Myself is not in desh. So can only help monetarily apart from contributing to forum.
Last edited by Gaurav_S on 10 Apr 2009 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

We are going around in circles.

The issues are:

1. Are we interested in contributing?
2. Who all?
3. Who is coordinating and how is he/she accountable?
4. Will it be in cash/kind?
5. How will it be despatched?

I will write to my contact and tell him that this is what is being proposed and what is his opinion. And if he can have the kit collected from say, Delhi or Chandigarh, depending who is collecting the kit for despatch!

No one will take cash in the Army since it has its attendant problems where noble actions can lead to media misrepresentation.

Ideally, I think Maroof Raza should be contact at Salute website. It will give due publicity of the action by ordinary citizens and NRIs and overseas Indians where the govt has failed and it being a great morale booster for the Army, it will find space in the magazine and this story will be taken up possible by the domestic media and build up a national consensus!
kobe
BRFite

Post by kobe »

yes many are interested,
one way would be to set up a bank account in india
and publish the acc number and we can wire transfer
the money there directly,

the acc holder may report progress and how many kits were
purchased / distributed

my brother is a brigadier posted in kashmir at present, although
it seems that there are sufficient volunteers / contact persons
already identified, but if need be, i can alert him to the cause.
devendra.singh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by devendra.singh »

RayC wrote: We are going around in circles.

The issues are:

1. Are we interested in contributing?
2. Who all?
3. Who is coordinating and how is he/she accountable?
4. Will it be in cash/kind?
5. How will it be despatched?

I will write to my contact and tell him that this is what is being proposed and what is his opinion. And if he can have the kit collected from say, Delhi or Chandigarh, depending who is collecting the kit for despatch!

No one will take cash in the Army since it has its attendant problems where noble actions can lead to media misrepresentation.

Ideally, I think Maroof Raza should be contact at Salute website. It will give due publicity of the action by ordinary citizens and NRIs and overseas Indians where the govt has failed and it being a great morale booster for the Army, it will find space in the magazine and this story will be taken up possible by the domestic media and build up a national consensus!
We should make a e-mail list, and a excel file to know exactly what we are looking at here.
Someone has to get a account to which all the money can be transferred into.

According to the original news report the RR sends over a man every now to Delhi to collect 2 or 3 of these kits we could coordinate with them and send a batch of these kits the next time someone from their side comes to Delhi to get these kits, that would be the easiest way to do it and it will ensure that the kits go to the people who need them directly.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

I guess we need to first have a list of people who are serious about contributing, then people belonging to the same continents can work out who/what would be a common gateway. Once we have the amount of committed funds then the decision can be made to buy it in US or India. Delivery mode should be easier to work out. This cause is very dear to me and if our efforts save even one I would be more than happy.
kobe
BRFite

Post by kobe »

surti bhai

which part of usa you are in, if in california we can coordinate something
let me know
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Kobe sir, I am in kangaroo land. Cant be on either side. :( Am looking for work so have some time to contribute whichever way possible.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

I am in California.
kobe
BRFite

Post by kobe »

suryag wrote:I am in California.
ok surya-saab, we can start it, send me email at places223 at y'hoo
i have some idea's, any one else in calif please send me email
ksmahesh
BRFite

Post by ksmahesh »

I am in Netherlands and I would like to make a humble contribution. Whom should I contact? In the past I had contacted Sidhuji and he assured to contact me once the modus is finalised. It is quite some time now that this issue came up so perhaps we need to organise fast.

Can some one (RayC-ji or ASPuar-ji or Shiv-ji) specify an account where funds could be transfered? I also agree with the proposal of using BR paypal donation method.

Once we have the account information we can start contributing.

I propose the names of RayC-ji, Shiv-ji, and Ramana-ji as the core group who should decide:

1. Whether we can use BR donation method for this effort.
a. If No then an alternative accont number.
2. The contact person who shall purchase and deliver the kits (Preferable some one in New Delhi say ASPuar-ji).

Every cent and minute counts.....
Last edited by ksmahesh on 10 Apr 2009 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
ksmahesh
BRFite

Post by ksmahesh »

kobe wrote:
suryag wrote:I am in California.
ok surya-saab, we can start it, send me email at places223 at y'hoo
i have some idea's, any one else in calif please send me email

Please check your email account..
kobe
BRFite

Post by kobe »

those in usa / california can send me email,
i have a created a google document to pledge an amount

anyone can view this document, i can volunteer to collect
the amount and purchase the kits,

those in bay area / CA can contact me so more than one person
can oversee the operation

thank you
kobe
BRFite

Post by kobe »

mahesh,
reply sent, pls check your email
also invite to the google document
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

I am in Calcutta and away from where the action is.

I can do liaison through mail and email with the authorities for the cause!
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

IMO Paypal shouldnt be a problem. Its safe, secure and almost no issues with currencies. But everyone willing to put funds need to have payapal account. Either new or existing one. If new then most likely will have to pay by credit card. To use paypal to receive funds one need to have email address of the receiving party. One can create new one something like quickclots at yahoo dot com for this purpose. And guys willing to be incharge can share the password for this email account. Kobe ji let me know if you massa guys have any views about this idea.

Anyone willing to contact me: gaurav underscore surati2004 at y'hoo dot co dot in