Indian Military Aviation

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Brando
BRFite

Re: Indian Military Aviation

Post by Brando »

Craig Alpert wrote: BPJ, Helmets/Patkas, Gloves, pads and neck armor. I would want to hold off on my remark on a better weapon, but DEFINITELY in the need for additional weapons (i.e. ubgls, optics, sights, thermal/ir and NVG's)
They don't need any of the above for being a fancy security guard. Unlike other soldiers you see in pictures these soldiers seem more decorative than functional. Besides can you imagine wearing vests, helmet, gloves, pads and carry 50lbs of gear and still stand under the desert sun ? Madness! They would have all passed out and would need to be hospitalized. Also, do you think they carry "everything" they own everytime they are deployed to do guard duty ? I'm sure they have all the equipment they need.

They were much better equipped that what was needed IMO. Its not like some terrorists are going to storm into an Airforce bombing display in the middle of the desert!
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

yes, the villagers were saying that they hear this humming sound very often but never are able to see the source. the villagers are contracted to collect the shells etc from the range after the practice. there is a little dumpyard close to the enterance with lot of scrap metal lying around. there were lot of cattle grazing around near the range...it seems sometimes there are cattle casualties

the dogfight/formation flying was 'natak' in local parlance, the whole demo was 'mela' .. the villagers were saying this thing goes on round the year with more activity in winters. the runway munition was 'bada bamb' since it created the biggest plume !!
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

BAE Systems develops mission computer system suite for the P-8I or IN..
"The P-8I mission computer system provides superior interoperability for the future battle space." BAE Systems' mission computer system suite for the P-8I is a flexible and ruggedized processing platform that can be configured to meet the general purpose, input and output, video, voice, and graphics processing needs for modern military battle management requirements.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bae-sy ... _news_stmp
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

swat fans are never happy unless they see a squad of jesse ventura types with green face paint
and 26" biceps hunkered down with a bipod mounted 0.50cal weapon 8)
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

ok i have finally manged to shrink 300 mb file to 50 mb and have uploaded full Night bombing by IAF from start to end done in Vayu shakti 2010 ,enjoy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ,picture quality is ok and voice is excellent

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=T8DN81PM
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

^^ Great work dude! Thanks.
nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

karan_mc wrote:ok i have finally manged to shrink 300 mb file to 50 mb and have uploaded full Night bombing by IAF from start to end done in Vayu shakti 2010 ,enjoy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ,picture quality is ok and voice is excellent

I cant download it .. asks for a premium account ..
sumshyam
BRFite

Post by sumshyam »

nirav wrote: I cant download it .. asks for a premium account ..
Its working for me...you should try it with IDM 5.16 +.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

karan_mc wrote:ok i have finally manged to shrink 300 mb file to 50 mb and have uploaded full Night bombing by IAF from start to end done in Vayu shakti 2010 ,enjoy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ,picture quality is ok and voice is excellent

errr, any chance you can upload it to someplace like http://ifile.it/ for poor souls like me ?
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

You could also try www.4shared.com. They have upto 10GB free space I think.
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

Brando wrote:
They don't need any of the above for being a fancy security guard. Unlike other soldiers you see in pictures these soldiers seem more decorative than functional. Besides can you imagine wearing vests, helmet, gloves, pads and carry 50lbs of gear and still stand under the desert sun ? Madness! They would have all passed out and would need to be hospitalized. Also, do you think they carry "everything" they own everytime they are deployed to do guard duty ? I'm sure they have all the equipment they need.

They were much better equipped that what was needed IMO. Its not like some terrorists are going to storm into an Airforce bombing display in the middle of the desert!
Been there, done that and I can assure you, You will NOT pass out. It is for your OWN protection. Imagine having AK's and Snipers with Nato standard issue bullets being hailed at you, I think I will definately want my BPJ's and Helmets! Who cares about Manuverability, When I have the best optics in my hand, I don't worry about that, however the lack of these, makes manuvering an issue!
Define "everything"? ~ If by that you mean, their rifle, bpj's, helmets, pads, gloves and optics then YES!.
If you mean ALL optics then NO. Each unit/squadron, is entiled to different weapons, and their optics. For a lil guy like myself there is no way in hell I can carry a SAW, hence weapons, and different types of optics are allocated based on a personnel profiling and if you are lucky then Preference!

When you are deployed for GUARD DUTY, it IS your duty to protect the designatory to the fullest. If you DON'T have your equipments (proper ones) well we all know what happened during 26/11. Terrorists can strike ANYWHERE and ANYTIME. Heck, you can someone Internally who could target as well, so it's always better to be prepared. When you have Foreign designators attending to see the show, it is the responsibility of the HOST country to provide the Elitest of Security to the personnel, and by "Showing the Proper force" is definately a smart way towards building confidence in the ability of our forces!

O and as far as the 26" BISCEPS, please note, most SF world over DON'T walk around showing them off! Will and Determination is what makes SF not, 12 or 26" Bisceps!
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Karan sir,
thanks for posting atleast one part of the show.. for those of us who couldn't catch the demo live (either tv or person) it is god sent...
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

@Rahul M ji ,special aap ke liye , enjoy :D

short link:

http://ifile.it/kljgumc

full link:

http://ifile.it/kljgumc/20100228-194203_mpeg4.mp4
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Does anyone have any reliable news regarding the 42 additional flankers. Seems to me with the delay in MRCA, IAF has been forced to take this up.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

Aditya_V wrote:Does anyone have any reliable news regarding the 42 additional flankers. Seems to me with the delay in MRCA, IAF has been forced to take this up.
They are still in "negotiations" phase...

http://bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/newsrf.php?newsid=12474
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

@Marten , i have only changed the format to shrink the size ,from MPEG-4 to MP4 ,video length is the same
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

thanks karan, appreciate it !
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

May be OT here,
but any updates on the cause of one of the Sagar Pawan's kirans in hyderabad today???
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

"May be OT here,
but any updates on the cause of one of the Sagar Pawan's kirans in hyderabad today???

Very sad and distressing. This is happening too often. There should be some kind of public outcry over this. Good to know that the IAF has grounded its entire Kiran-2 fleet.
sumshyam
BRFite

Post by sumshyam »

Just in line...another OT.

Rahul 'brightest of the brightest pilots' says friend
Rahul, whom a former Naval officer and family friend described as one of "brightest of the brightest pilots", perished along with Commander S K Maurya when a Navy plane performing aerobatics crashed into a building in Hyderabad today.

Former Naval officer and a close family friend, Lokesh Batra remembers Rahul as a homely boy, whom he had seen grow up. "Around one pm, we got the news about his death. It is shocking," he said.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

people, please do post ^^^ in the military flight safety thread as well. in fact better if all these posts are taken there.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

South Korea willing for TOT if its Basic jet trainer (KT-1) is chosen, in response to RFP issued for 181 Jet trainers (75 off the shelf and 106 at HAL)
India’s Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (Cepa) with South Korea is likely to pave the way for the first deal to have Korean basic trainer aircraft to train new IAF pilots. Talking to FE, Korea Aerospace Industries Ltd executive vice-president & general manager (marketing division) Enes Park said, “The Indian Air Force (IAF) needs basic trainers. The request for proposal (RFP) is already out and we are offering KT-1, the very basic trainer.”

“We understand that the Indian market is big and realise that there is an opportunity for us to enter the Indian defence sector by offering our trainers that are not only cost effective but also suitable for training new pilots,” Park explained.
“As per the RFP, the manufacturer will have to deliver the first 12 aircraft within 24 months of the contract. The remaining trainers will follow in batches. Our production lines are working and if there is a clause of transferring technology, we are willing to do that too,” Park added.
With recent spurt in crashes..IAF would be desperate to induct them ASAP. HAWK's loss..

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/In ... ts/586479/
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

shukla wrote:HAWK's loss..
Hawk is not a basic trainer..
Juggi G
BRFite
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Post by Juggi G »

shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

Sriman wrote:
shukla wrote:HAWK's loss..
Hawk is not a basic trainer..
Point taken.. thanks!
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Entire fleet grounded??? so how is basic training going to happen??? i mean after the crash of the Deepak fleet weren't they being used to train the cadets in basic flight...
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Bala Vignesh wrote:Entire fleet grounded??? so how is basic training going to happen??? i mean after the crash of the Deepak fleet weren't they being used to train the cadets in basic flight...
Very temporarily grounded.

Just to make sure that there is no major flaw affecting the whole fleet.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

reply to a post by HarishV on the Su-30MKI thread
HarishV wrote: With the Mig-21's being upgraded to Bis, how much further in flying hours is the airframe of the Mig-21 going to take?
The IAF is going to reach a phase where 100's of its Mig21's have already reached end of airframe life all at the same time. I'm not saying that the IAF isn't aware of this, but then again what is being done to boost squadron numbers?
the MiG-21 Bis was upgraded to Bison standard. No MiG-21, neither the M or FL was upgraded to MiG-21 Bis standard as the MiG-21 Bis was built that way from scratch.

NAL's fatigue test analysis of a MiG-21 Bis indicated that an additional 1000 hours of fatigue life was possible beyond the manufacturer's stated 2400 hours total fatigue design life, giving a total of 3400 hours TTL. That gave an additional decade of flying hours to the Bis fleet, many of whom were built in the late 1970s to early 1980s (HAL built the last MiG-21 Bis in 1985). A total of 300 or so MiG-21 Bis were built, and out of these 126 (likely the youngest of the lot) were upgraded to the Bison.

The first Bisons should start retiring in 2015-16 or so and the last will be in 2018-19 or so depending on how much life is left in individual airframes. the IAF will consolidate numbers, with some squadrons being numberplated and their fighters being given to other squadrons to keep their numbers close to 2 flights.

Its the MiG-21 Type 96 (MiG-21M) and MiG-21 Type 77s (MiG-21FL which I think the IAF still operates a couple squadrons of) that are still soldiering on and will be likely to be retired very soon as their airframe life runs out. These Type 77s started being built at HAL facilities in late 1960s and the Type 96s succeeded them on the production line in 1974. Around 1980 the MiG-21Bis was being produced at HAL in place of the Type 77, so the youngest of the MiG-21Bisons will reach 30 years age around 2013-15.

When you look at any Type 77 or 96 in IAF today, it is older than 30 years, and these are the variants that are the closest to retirement. I hope the IAF liberally distributes these as gate guardians to schools, colleges and institutions, having served the nation for more than 30 years.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

Post deleted
Last edited by shukla on 05 Mar 2010 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
Srivastav
BRFite

Post by Srivastav »

shukla wrote:delete the link pleased[/url]
Your post is meant to imply sarcasm/comedy/ your ignorance or something like that right ?

If not, have you even for a second looked at this link ?

If this post is not in jest than why post the link and send more viewers to baki blogs....mods can the link be please removed
Last edited by Srivastav on 05 Mar 2010 14:29, edited 1 time in total.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

As per Shukla Link above, is a Rupee news Link Halal, should it not go to TSP Thread, cause meaningless trash, thast what it is.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

Srivastav wrote:Your post is meant to imply sarcasm/comedy/ your ignorance or something like that right ?
Was meant to be sarcastic.. Happy to delete it!
anirban_aim
BRFite

Post by anirban_aim »

shukla wrote:

Hahahahahaaa............... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Good One Shukla Ji.

May the PAF and PA always remain in such fantasy worlds. 8)
Last edited by anirban_aim on 05 Mar 2010 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
Srivastav
BRFite

Post by Srivastav »

anirban bhai by quoting a haram link, you have managed to give it a longer life on BRF....please remove it, if it isnt too much to ask.

Shukla ji i was pretty sure it was a sarcastic post but was just confirming.
anirban_aim
BRFite

Post by anirban_aim »

Dear Srivastavji,

Haraam Link removed. But it was a good laugh. No offence to any sensibilities was implied.
kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kedar.karmarkar »

Some pictures from the VS-2010; for now.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/media/VS2010/
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Kartik wrote:reply to a post by HarishV on the Su-30MKI thread

Its the MiG-21 Type 96 (MiG-21M) and MiG-21 Type 77s (MiG-21FL which I think the IAF still operates a couple squadrons of) that are still soldiering on and will be likely to be retired very soon as their airframe life runs out.
I think MiG 21FL has been retired a long time back, at least 5 years ago. One of the last were Sqdn No 30 Charging Rhino and Sqdn No 8 Eight Pursoot. Both are now with SU 30.

K
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

kersi saar, the MOFTU and OCU still have them IIRC.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Rahulda,
wasn't the MOFTU number plated sometime back????
stating that since most of the fighters in the IAF would be su30 in a few year's time...
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

bala if so I must have missed it. do you have a link ?
TIA.