Indian Military Aviation

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Military Aviation

Post by Rahul M »

Khalsa wrote:Just the saw the video.

A Missile Truck launching AMRAMS at aircrafts ? Man they have been watching too many CGI movies.
Very very one sided and blind sided story.
what video ? :-?
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Khalsa wrote:Just the saw the video.

A Missile Truck launching AMRAMS at aircrafts ? Man they have been watching too many CGI movies.
Very very one sided and blind sided story.
If you saw the SLAMRAAM then its not a CGI. It actually exists. But totally wrong thread.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

amraam on hummer is routinely deployed I believe on washington mall for guarding important events like july4.
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

Singha wrote:amraam on hummer is routinely deployed I believe on washington mall for guarding important events like july4.
The missile truck is supposed to be the next gen version of the B1 bomber which will be modified to carry a huge number of newer AAMRAAMs with a longer range. The idea is that while the Raptor will be the advance guard the limitation of its missile load will be overcome by AAMRAAM trucks firing long range from a safer distance while guided by the Raptor.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Saw a bright orange and white IJT take off today :)
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

shiv wrote:Saw a bright orange and white IJT take off today :)
Doctor - so you recovered from viral? And back on the greens?

plz keep a lookout for grey Tejas too.. no updates on website for a month now..
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

rakall wrote:
shiv wrote:Saw a bright orange and white IJT take off today :)
Doctor - so you recovered from viral? And back on the greens?

Well I nearly got into an accident yesterday trying to stick my head out the car to catch a glimpse of what i thought was a (grey) Tejas. But I can't confirm if it was Tejas or Jag sadly.

Saw a Jag, a Bison, a yellow Hawk and an IJT taking off today but I got chased off the course by heavy rain 20 minutes later.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

shiv wrote:Well I nearly got into an accident yesterday trying to stick my head out the car to catch a glimpse of what i thought was a (grey) Tejas.
:) Reminds me of the time I was riding my bike on the wrong side of the road all the while staring up at an Mi-17 landing at dads office.
Sorry for going OT.
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

shiv wrote:
rakall wrote: Doctor - so you recovered from viral? And back on the greens?

Well I nearly got into an accident yesterday trying to stick my head out the car to catch a glimpse of what i thought was a (grey) Tejas. But I can't confirm if it was Tejas or Jag sadly.

Saw a Jag, a Bison, a yellow Hawk and an IJT taking off today but I got chased off the course by heavy rain 20 minutes later.
Sirjee,,, it was a Tejas.

I walked right into traffic on Gandhi Bazaar while tracking the thing... beautiful sight, that gray..
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

k prasad wrote:
shiv wrote: Well I nearly got into an accident yesterday trying to stick my head out the car to catch a glimpse of what i thought was a (grey) Tejas. But I can't confirm if it was Tejas or Jag sadly.

Sirjee,,, it was a Tejas.

I walked right into traffic on Gandhi Bazaar while tracking the thing... beautiful sight, that gray..
Does Tejas conduct sorties everyday above south Bangalore ?? I live real close to Gandhi Bazar but seldom do I see those things in the sky.
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

KrishG wrote:Does Tejas conduct sorties everyday above south Bangalore ?? I live real close to Gandhi Bazar but seldom do I see those things in the sky.
Not really... I see mostly Jags, with an occasional LCA. After some time, you can make out the difference from the sound of the engines.

Btw, Krish saar, could u mail me at sniperz11s AT googel mail DAT com...
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

An HPT-32 Crash killed 2 instructors today...

Post by nikhil_p »

http://in.news.yahoo.com/139/20090731/8 ... -andh.html

A HPT-32 crashed. Two instructors killed...wonder when we will replace these aging workhorses...
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

KrishG wrote:
Does Tejas conduct sorties everyday above south Bangalore ?? I live real close to Gandhi Bazar but seldom do I see those things in the sky.
I live near about there too and it is the worst place in the universe for aircraft observation because of all the trees and buildings. Typically the sound of a jet is heard after it has reflected off some building so you end up looking at the wrong part of the sky though the only gap in the trees available to you. And then there's the clouds.

I have stopped running out to look for anything except when it sounds like a Jag/Tejas. I am generally able to "diagnose" a MiG 21 from its sound - although the Hawk is nowadays causing confusion. But the problem is - if you wait till you can recognise the sound - you have already missed it..
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I get a superb view over the vast greenery of the army lands
adjoining HAL airport, with a 360 vista.

the Hawk has a liquid warbling note to its engine. plenty of hawk flights.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Singha wrote:I get a superb view over the vast greenery of the army lands
adjoining HAL airport, with a 360 vista.

the Hawk has a liquid warbling note to its engine. plenty of hawk flights.
Lucky dog. Let me make sure I put a golf ball through your window out of jealousy and sheer Pakiness.
GeorgeWelch
BRFite

Post by GeorgeWelch »

Not sure how new/accurate this is:

http://www.hindu.com/2009/08/02/stories ... 450900.htm

MiG-29 upgrade may be delayed

The Indian Air Force (IAF) is worried over the likely delay in the MiG-29 upgrade programme.

. . .

However, officials from the OEM told The Hindu that there will be a delay of at least eight months in the arrival of the first upgraded aircraft. The Russians are attributing this to a delay in the IAF finalising the ‘buyer furnished equipment.’

The delay will translate into a year-long delay in the start of production aircraft at 11BRD. Fourteen aircraft are scheduled to roll out of 11BRD between April 2010 and March 2011.

. . .

The upgrade will allow the IAF to extend the life of the MiG-29 from 25 years (and 2,500 hours) to 40 years (3,500 hours). The Air Force had first proposed the upgrade after the Pakistan Air Force added beyond-visual-range missiles and other advanced weaponry in 2003, something that the IAF’s MiG-29s presently do not carry.
If it's just an 8 month delay that's not bad, but issues often start accumulating . . .
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

Not sure if posted earlier. Seems like another half a dozen C-130J's are coming

Lockheed eyes more deals after India-US defence pact
"The current agreement with the Indian Air Force for six C-130J aircraft has an option for another six and we are holding talks at the moment."
Lockheed is aiming for deals with India worth $15 billion in the next five years and is focusing on winning contracts for fighter aircraft, military transport aircraft, naval helicopters and missiles.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

First thread to cross half million hits.

The old Naval disc thread would have been the first - but it got locked.
saptarishi
BRFite

Post by saptarishi »

Bell says not bidding for $1 bln India helicopter deal,another twist in the already delayed 22 attack helicopter contest

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Bell Helicopters, a unit of U.S.-based Textron company said on Friday it will not participate in a bid to supply 22 attack helicopters to India's air force in a deal worth more than $1 billion.
In May, India invited bids to five vendors, including Bell, Boeing Co and Eurocopter, a subsidiary of European aerospace and defence group EADS for the helicopter deal.

"We were planning to offer our AH-1Z Cobra to the air force, but since it is still undergoing an operational evaluation, we have decided not to participate," a Bell official said in New Delhi.

Boeing, keen to offer its Apache AH-64 helicopters, said on Friday that it was still internally reviewing the tender details issued by the government before taking a final decision.

India is looking to spend more than $30 billion over the next five years to modernise its defence systems.

But its plans to overhaul and replace its fleet of military helicopters amid growing security risks in the region, especially after last November's Mumbai attacks, has been dogged with pullouts and cancellation of tenders.

Last June, India asked seven international companies to submit bids for supplying 22 attack helicopters, but the government cancelled that tender this March, saying the bidders did not meet requirements. A fresh tender was issued in May.

India relies on an ageing fleet of Russian MI-25 and MI-35 helicopter gunships designed by Russia's Mil.

In 2007, India scrapped advanced talks with Eurocopter to supply 197 lightweight Fennec military helicopters worth $600 million after complaints about the bidding process.

Eurocopter is a sister company to Airbus, the world's largest civil jet maker, also owned by EADS.

http://in.reuters.com/article/topNews/i ... 1620090731
sanjaychoudhry
BRFite

Post by sanjaychoudhry »

Armed forces to induct 800 choppers in next few years
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news ... 860953.cms

ALH: HAL is already manufacturing `Dhruv' Advanced Light Helicopters, with 168 of them to be inducted into Army and IAF by 2013-2014. Incidentally, the 145 Army ALHs came for Rs 11,237 crore, with CAG criticising the deals since the choppers have "technological gaps".
Pandit jee just cannot desist from inserting a negative comment with every mention of HAL or DRDO.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

saptarishi wrote:Bell says not bidding for $1 bln India helicopter deal,another twist in the already delayed 22 attack helicopter contest

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Bell Helicopters, a unit of U.S.-based Textron company said on Friday it will not participate in a bid to supply 22 attack helicopters to India's air force in a deal worth more than $1 billion.
In May, India invited bids to five vendors, including Bell, Boeing Co and Eurocopter, a subsidiary of European aerospace and defence group EADS for the helicopter deal.

"We were planning to offer our AH-1Z Cobra to the air force, but since it is still undergoing an operational evaluation, we have decided not to participate," a Bell official said in New Delhi.

Boeing, keen to offer its Apache AH-64 helicopters, said on Friday that it was still internally reviewing the tender details issued by the government before taking a final decision.

India is looking to spend more than $30 billion over the next five years to modernise its defence systems.

But its plans to overhaul and replace its fleet of military helicopters amid growing security risks in the region, especially after last November's Mumbai attacks, has been dogged with pullouts and cancellation of tenders.

Last June, India asked seven international companies to submit bids for supplying 22 attack helicopters, but the government cancelled that tender this March, saying the bidders did not meet requirements. A fresh tender was issued in May.

India relies on an ageing fleet of Russian MI-25 and MI-35 helicopter gunships designed by Russia's Mil.

In 2007, India scrapped advanced talks with Eurocopter to supply 197 lightweight Fennec military helicopters worth $600 million after complaints about the bidding process.

Eurocopter is a sister company to Airbus, the world's largest civil jet maker, also owned by EADS.

http://in.reuters.com/article/topNews/i ... 1620090731
and what happens if Boeing also decides not to participate in the tender this time around as well ? does the GoI simply scrap the entire deal because "the others did not meet the specifications of the RFPs" ?

and if the 3 helicopter manufacturers who did submit their bids last time around didn't meet the requirements at that time, then did the IA water down the requirements this time around to get them in ? shouldn't this make those bean counters at CAG stand up and shout foul that "qualititative requirements were watered down" as they were doing so shrilly about the ALH ?

it appears as if the IA is already intent on either the Apache or the AH-1Z Cobra, which is why they called for the re-tendering anyway, and if Bell has pulled out again, it basically defeats the purpose of the cancelling the earlier tender and causing this delay. now if Boeing does so too, it would be almost comical, if it weren't actually causing harm to the IA's plans of restructuring and inducting new attack choppers.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

IAF orders new generation FLIR equipment for its C-130J fleet. looks like this fleet of C-130Js will be out and out destined for the special forces, being optimized for insertion into enemy territory under low light conditions.
DATE:06/08/09
SOURCE:Flight International
India orders FLIR surveillance equipment for C-130Js

By Craig Hoyle

FLIR Systems has received a $7.2 million contract to equip the Indian air force's future fleet of Lockheed Martin C-130J tactical transports with AAQ-22 Star Safire III electro-optical/infrared sensors.

"The units will be installed on C-130J fixed-wing surveillance platforms in support of Indian ministry of defence airborne missions," says FLIR, which announced its order on 5 August. Deliveries will conclude by 2011, it says, with the sale also including training and other related services.

India is the first military buyer for the new-generation Hercules to include an EO/IR sensor suite in its order configuration, with its selection of the Star Safire III following that of the US Coast Guard, which is also buying the system for some of its HC-130J long-range surveillance aircraft.

Six C-130Js are on order for the Indian air force, with the service's first example scheduled to emerge at Lockheed's Marietta plant in Georgia during 2010.

FLIR has not revealed how many sensors will be supplied under its new production contract, but New Delhi's May 2007 Foreign Military Sales request for the C-130J deal listed a requirement for eight AAQ-22 systems, including two spares.

The US Special Operations Command's planned HC/MC-130Js and some upgraded transports for the US Marine Corps are also expected to receive EO/IR sensors in the future.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

given that coast guard and marine corps are the other customers for this surveillance gear, have we been looking the wrong way? are the C130's meant for andamans? or perhaps even gujarat coast?
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

IAF pays rare tribute to Kargil martyr
NEW DELHI: In an unprecedented tribute to the martyrs of the Indian Air Force in recent times, its pilots on Friday flew an iconic four-aircraft ‘missing man’ formation to honour a brave pilot – Squadron Leader Ajay Ahuja, who laid down his life during the Kargil operations.

A ‘finger-four’ formation in MiG-21s operated by the Number 17 Squadron “Golden Arrows” was also flown on the occasion. The pilot flying in the ring-finger position of the formation pulled up vertically over the spot where floral wreaths were to be placed on the War memorial. The manoeuvre signified the spiralling away of the fallen aviator heavenwards, an official release said.
ChandraS

Post by ChandraS »

Lalmohan wrote:given that coast guard and marine corps are the other customers for this surveillance gear, have we been looking the wrong way? are the C130's meant for andamans? or perhaps even gujarat coast?
from the above report wrote:The US Special Operations Command's planned HC/MC-130Js and some upgraded transports for the US Marine Corps are also expected to receive EO/IR sensors in the future.

Andamans and Guj maybe potential areas of operation, but the SF will also be using it given the above statement.
sanjaychoudhry
BRFite

Post by sanjaychoudhry »

The design and development programme of Light Combat Helicopter was approved in October 2006. The first prototype (technology demonstrator) is expected to get the initial operational clearance by December 2010. There is a proposal to export the indigenously developed helicopters. HAL has exported five numbers of the indigenously developed Helicopter Dhruv to Ecuador.

http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=51468
Vriksh
BRFite

Post by Vriksh »

Any news about reason for the AN-32 crash in Arunachal. AFAIK the black box was recovered and taken to base. There have been persistent rumors that the plane was shot down by Chinese SAMs.
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

Vriksh wrote:Any news about reason for the AN-32 crash in Arunachal. AFAIK the black box was recovered and taken to base. There have been persistent rumors that the plane was shot down by Chinese SAMs.
Can you please post any links hinting the chinese SAM's?

I have not seen EVEN ToI mention that.. !!!
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

http://www.hindu.com/2009/08/08/stories ... 180900.htm
IAF pays rare tribute to Kargil martyr

Special Correspondent

NEW DELHI: In an unprecedented tribute to the martyrs of the Indian Air Force in recent times, its pilots on Friday flew an iconic four-aircraft ‘missing man’ formation to honour a brave pilot – Squadron Leader Ajay Ahuja, who laid down his life during the Kargil operations.
A tribute was also paid to Wing Commander R.S. Dhaliwal, a former Surya Kiran Aerobatics Team pilot who died in an air crash in January 2009. Wg Cdr. Dhaliwal was also a former member of the “Golden Arrows” Squadron as a Flying Officer. He was the youngest-ever pilot in the history of IAF to have taken part in night-strike missions in Operation Safed Sagar in May 1999. He also flew the maximum number of sorties during the operations.
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/unc ... 30257.html
Helicopter daredevilry marks IAF tribute to Kargil martyrs
August 10th, 2009 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS Tell a Friend -

Sarsawa (Uttar Pradesh), Aug 10 (IANS) The Indian Air Force (IAF) Monday paid tribute to the valiant air warriors of its helicopter fleet who braved enemy missiles at the beginning of the Kargil conflict in Jammu and Kashmir in the summer of 1999.
Helicopters flew in various formations at the airbase here to mark the occasion in the presence of the families of the martyrs and their unit officers.

Four bravehearts of the “Mighty Armour” Mi-17 helicopter Unit of the Sarsawa airbase (Uttar Pradesh) - Squadron Leader Rajiv Pundir, Flight Lieutenant S. Muhilan, Sergeant P.V.N.R. Prasad and Sergeant R.K. Sahu - made the supreme sacrifice at the icy heights of Tololing as their Mi-17 suffered an enemy missile hit in one such mission on May 28, 1999.
more at the links. I wish the TV channels covered this.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

I found an image of the IN MiG-29KUB while reading this

scroll down, and you'll see the IN MiG-29KUB refuelling from a Russian IL-78 Midas tanker..really small sized pic though the IN's roundels are visible.
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Another rendering of the IN MiG 29

Dont know if this was posted before.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

I found an image of the IN MiG-29KUB while reading this
Nice catch Kartik. Looks great.

CM.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Kartik wrote:I found an image of the IN MiG-29KUB while reading this

scroll down, and you'll see the IN MiG-29KUB refuelling from a Russian IL-78 Midas tanker..really small sized pic though the IN's roundels are visible.
whooah ! you need hawk eyes to catch that ! I'm impressed !

beautiful pic !
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Missing man formation.

from livefist. http://livefist.blogspot.com/2009/08/ex ... -crew.html
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

beautiful pic !
Beautiful enough to put up a slightly larger version for all to see? (Can't wait to see these birds in droves): Credits to "flyboy" @ Keypubs

The camouflage provided by the color of the bird is superb imho, can hardly distinguish certain details of the bird from the bluish background. Stellar stuff.

CM.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Btw the jagged radome fitting on the MiG-29K somewhat reminded me of the F-22. You can see it here
MiG-29K
http://pilot.strizhi.info/wp-content/up ... /konus.jpg
and here
F-22
http://www.aviation-news.co.uk/media/F-22-07.jpg

Whats is for? RCS reduction side on? Or is that the standard fit for most fighters? YOu can also see a bunch of images on the naval fulcrum prod line - gives you a good idea of the amount of composite usage - supposed to be 15% or thereabouts.

CM.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

shameekg wrote:Another rendering of the IN MiG 29

Dont know if this was posted before.
wasn't that CG done by Harry before he went AWOL ? he did some great artwork, including the single and twin-seat LCA as well..and BTW, that is not the camouflage scheme of the IN MiG-29K/KUBs..they are just plain ol' gray, with a darker gray radome, apparently optimized for higher altitude visibility reduction.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Rahul M wrote:
Kartik wrote:I found an image of the IN MiG-29KUB while reading this

beautiful pic !
actually Rahul, its the very distinct front fuselage silhouette of the new common "family" of MiG-29M2 based derivatives (which the MiG-29K and KUB share) that gave it away..Russia doesn't operate any such MiG-29, and we have already previously seen the MiG-29KUB in light gray colours, but with Russian markings..this is the first time that the IN roundel marking was visible though, so delivery must be pretty close and this pic must've been taken during air refuelling tests for the new Naval Fulcrum.

and frankly, I think that the MiG-29K/KUB is a real looker..it'll definitely be one of the most attractive fighters in India. the MiG-35 looks far less pretty, especially so because of its smaller radome, although later prototypes will be better, because MiG is trying to address the small array by freeing up some space in the nose by reducing the size of some components of its AESA radar.