Indian Military Aviation

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Military Aviation

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Rahul M wrote:bala if so I must have missed it. do you have a link ?
TIA.
No sir i don't.. it was hearsay... sorry...
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

$100 Mln Avionics Upgrade for Mi-17's Helicopters
The request for proposal (RFP) or tender, for the avionics upgrade of the Indian Air Force (IAF)'s Russian medium-lift twin-engine utility Mi-17 helicopters, has been issued to American Honeywell, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), and the Russian State Export Agency. The 100 million dollar upgrade would primarily be a cockpit upgrade in the almost two-decade old choppers, where state of the art LCD screen, touch screen and other features would be installed in the cockpit, so as to reduce attention of the pilot from the cockpit.

Around 100 Mi-17 helicopters will be fitted with the new generation avionics. Since the engines would not be changed or upgraded, therefore life of the helicopter is not expected to increase, said a source.

The choppers are primarily used for troop insertion/extraction, casualty evacuation, logistic supply, search and rescue, reconnaissance and observation, in high altitude areas like Siachen Glacier and have also been part of UN missions abroad,
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

sir kyun bhai ?
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Rahul M wrote:sir kyun bhai ?
Respecting seniority... :P ...
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Kedars pics from VayuShakti

ImageImageImage

what - no roundels? :D

More pics at Vayu Shakti 2010
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

I was recently browsing photos on A.net & i came across this photo shot in May 2008 - Image

The frame is in primer so i just though that it may be going to IAF & hence i tried looking up other photos of it reg'n - c/n.

What i find surprising is that there are other photos of it shot as early as February 2007 - all in The UK, upon furthur researching about this airframe (Source: http://www.scramble.nl/milbase.htm) i discovered that it was delivered to IAF in October of 2009. :-?

WTF ???

Can someone please explain the reason for that ?

Thanks - Vishal
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Vishal,

Thats the first IAF Hawk A3480 - and there was a report that it was retained to do some instrumentation testing and was delivered quite late - infact probably the last of the British built Hawks to be inducted
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Jagan Garu,
The link given for the vayu shakti gallery is throwing up an database error...
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Are the pics posted above available in higher resolution?....These ones don't cover the screen of my laptop completely :mrgreen:
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

And can the BR watermark be moved to some corner like Kedars
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Rahul M wrote:kersi saar, the MOFTU and OCU still have them IIRC.
Not aware. But the -21FL etc are not in frontline service, to the best of my knowledge.

K
sumshyam
BRFite

Post by sumshyam »

Hal's 10.5 mil $ claim for jet trainer rejected
The increasing acrimony over India's troubled acquisition of the Hawk advanced jet trainer (AJT) has come to a head with BAE Systems summarily rejecting license-build partner HAL's $10.5-million claim for various slippages encountered during the early part of the ongoing licensed production programme. Following a report about the said claim in a newspaper, I asked BAE's India spokesman about the status of the claim. He replied, "This claim was rejected as we believe that the requirements of the contract had been met. In the limited number of cases where delivered items needed rework, this was done in accordance with the contractual provisions."

HAL first made the claim in June 2009. After attempting to get HAL to withdraw the claim and continue with the license build, BAE has finally officially refused to compensate HAL for various glitches in the license build contract that had cost implications for the latter. The BAE spokesperson further said, "HAL is now in an advanced stage of series production of the world's most successful advanced jet trainer that is revolutionising the training provided to the IAF's frontline fighter pilots. We believe the parties should focus on continuing this success story."
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

rohitvats wrote:Are the pics posted above available in higher resolution?....These ones don't cover the screen of my laptop completely :mrgreen:
Considering the distance at which they were taken, I am pretty amazed at the present resolution itself. Kedar must have a pretty good camera.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

rohitvats wrote:Are the pics posted above available in higher resolution?....These ones don't cover the screen of my laptop completely :mrgreen:
He has deliberately reduced the resolution, and you might get a high res pic if you contact him
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Kersi D wrote:
Rahul M wrote:kersi saar, the MOFTU and OCU still have them IIRC.
Not aware. But the -21FL etc are not in frontline service, to the best of my knowledge.

K
yep. even OCU has been number plated, someone here wrote.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

^^^It was Jagan Sir...
And i probably confused OCU with MOFTU...
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Dhruv's cousin Uh-72 aka EC 145 aka BK 117 has become a hit with the US Army:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-d ... field.html
...The US Army received its 100th UH-72 Lakota yesterday with an atypically lavish delivery ceremony. ....
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

nice Aditya

good reminder of how good a pedigree Dhruv has

and the UH 72 has a Indian name to boot :mrgreen:
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Suryaji - all unkil's choppers have had native american/first nations names and assume will continue to do so for some time (there are around 450 tribes still recognised i think)
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Lalmohan wrote:Suryaji - all unkil's choppers have had native american/first nations names and assume will continue to do so for some time (there are around 450 tribes still recognised i think)
I suspect Surya is referring to Indian-INdian rather than Native-American-INdian when he mentioned the name.. Lakota sounds like some gaali a north indian or a telanganite would come up with..

In telugu - the word Dakota is used freely to describe - Old - RAmshackle - Useless.. I am assuming it comes from the Dakota aircraft.. maybe there is some other explanation...
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

nukavarapu wrote:
Jagan wrote:In telugu - the word Dakota is used freely to describe - Old - RAmshackle - Useless.. I am assuming it comes from the Dakota aircraft.. maybe there is some other explanation...
Interesting, I never heard the word "Dakota" all my life :(
Maybe the effects of growing up outside AP .
or maybe it was a hyderabadi slang / thing.. heard the word dakota used along with car, house etc .. in a way its equivalent of 'chettha'
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

seriously superb pics by Kedar Karmarkar..great to see these pics from Vayu Shakti 2010.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

Pics are orgasmic onlee. 8)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Jagan wrote:Kedars pics from VayuShakti

Vat munition is this?

ooops :oops: just saw the heading of the photo - it's the Betab
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Jagan wrote:Kedars pics from VayuShakti

More pics at Vayu Shakti 2010
A brilliant collection! Well done Kedar!
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

shiv wrote: ooops :oops: just saw the heading of the photo - it's the Betab
Ya...betab to open a couple of new ones to PAF... :mrgreen:
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

Kedar amazing pics boss great work indeed.

I have a minor nitpick in title of one of the pics :((

The one below says that the explosion is the result of the delayed fuse of the Betabs digging in before exploding.

I always thought that munitions like the Betab and Durandal would never have a major kaboom explosion but more so a smallish puff as it digs into the concrete and explodes unleasing its energy underneath and spreading cracks in the concrete which would form craters.

The explosion below resembles a lot more to a HE explosive or even a fuel air burst :?:
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/media/VS2 ... 3.jpg.html
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Aditya G wrote:Dhruv's cousin Uh-72 aka EC 145 aka BK 117 has become a hit with the US Army:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-d ... field.html
...The US Army received its 100th UH-72 Lakota yesterday with an atypically lavish delivery ceremony. ....
Looked up the UH-72.. But no where is it mentioned that its related to the Dhruv...
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

andy B wrote:I always thought that munitions like the Betab and Durandal would never have a major kaboom explosion but more so a smallish puff as it digs into the concrete and explodes unleasing its energy underneath and spreading cracks in the concrete which would form craters.
The explosion below resembles a lot more to a HE explosive or even a fuel air burst <snip>
Hazarding a guess here. It is possible that for the exercise they did not actually have a concrete structure like a runway. So the Betabs just penetrated soft ground/sand and then blew up causing that big dust cloud.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

When is LCH coming ? It's been a long time
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Courtesy vayu
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

andy b .. you have to remember that there was no concrete to penetrate... its on the firing range my boy...the rockets penetrated sand and only sand/dust billowed out.. this smoke/explosion is indeed from the runway cratering munitions.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Bala Vignesh wrote:
Looked up the UH-72.. But no where is it mentioned that its related to the Dhruv...
Shhh. Dhruv is adopted.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

chetak wrote:
Bala Vignesh wrote:
Shhh. Dhruv is adopted.
:D :D.. On a serious note, could someone please enlighten me as to how EC145 and Dhruv are related? I mean they appear to be nearly the same design but i remember a German Anti tank chopper with the same principle design back in the late 90's and early 00's..

Added later- I just assumed that the Dhruv and that german helicopter had used an advanced design concept or something...
Last edited by Bala Vignesh on 09 Mar 2010 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Bala Vignesh wrote:
chetak wrote:
Shhh. Dhruv is adopted.
:D :D.. On a serious note, could someone please enlighten me as to how EC145 and Dhruv are related? I mean they appear to be nearly the same design but i remember a German Anti tank chopper with the same principle design back in the late 90's and early 200's..

Bala Vignesh ji,

The Dhruv is basically of MBB design. The german design team was resident in HAL helicopter division and most of the work was done there. The genes of other MBB designs can be found in the Dhruv because the smart germans did not reinvent all the wheels.

People may or may not want to acknowledge it now.

A majority of the Dhruv problems stem from the fact that an over confident and cocky RWRDC ( in whatever form and function it existed earlier) took over ( snatched!! ) the uncompleted MBB project and made a dogs breakfast out of it. Politely put, Glory was sought but glory was not found.

A lot of dented halos and broken angels wings was to be found lying around in those days.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Chetakji,
Thanks for the Info... Never knew this part of Dhruv's history...
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

this was dhruv's long-lost brother. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBB/Kawasaki_BK_117
dhruv's lineage is clearly from this one although it is larger in all aspects.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Bala Vignesh wrote:Chetakji,
Thanks for the Info... Never knew this part of Dhruv's history...
They keep it very quiet saar.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Rahul M wrote:this was dhruv's long-lost brother. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBB/Kawasaki_BK_117
dhruv's lineage is clearly from this one although it is larger in all aspects.
I was part of a small team that did preliminary evaluation of the BK 117 for the Indian Coast Guard. Very nice machine.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »