Military Acquisitions, Partnerships & Developments

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
jai
BRFite

Re: Military Acquisitions, Partnerships & Developments

Post by jai »

Shrinivasan wrote:
Gaur wrote: :shock: Wow! Way to go to improve the Nation's morale. After reading it, I am sure the jawan posted at the border would have felt very secure. :roll:

Even though I personally respect him in general, I think this is a very stupid remark. If our own PM does public dhoti shivering, how can one blame the general public. When he said that China is building AC carriers, would it have cost him to mention that IN already operates one and is getting 2 more shortly?
Very Dhimi attitude of MMS... I don't see any chankian in this... after this if he had cleared couple of pending deals and made a statement about providing all necessary equipment to Jawans ityaadi, he would have earned people's respect!!!
+1

I find his statement That the system will tolerate a 3% GDP spend on defense quite rude ..what does he mean by tolerate ? Is he doing a favor to the defense forces ? I wish we had for a change a pm who had served in uniform or at least gone upto all the areas where in our troops operate in. Sitting in the air-conditioned comforts if Delhi is taking all our babus further and further away from reality.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Jay wrote:
indranilroy wrote:Somehow a reserved polite man in India is thought to be incomptent ... Without being political, I believe people who think that MMS is incompetent couldn't be further away from the truth.

He is one one of the MOST revered politicians and statesman outside of India. He is called "the leader that leaders love". And quite frankly when I look around world leaders I don't find anybody who understands economics as keenly as PM Manmohan Singh.
I will call you out on the bullshit you are peddling. Can you care to elaborate why PM is not incompetent? What are his achievements, and perceived accomplishments?
How about decades of outstanding service as a civil servant, implementing fundamental economic reforms in the 90s as finance minister, sustaining high economic growth and introducing the biggest and cleanest modernization of the Indian military during his tenure as PM.
I think he is one of those guys who gets respected by outsiders because they perceive his inaction as Chankiyan strategy. Also, somebody good in an academic field is not always equal to a Good Leader.
He's respected because he's affable, modest and soft-spoken despite possessing professional credentials that are better than 95% of his counterparts on the international stage, and leading a country that's on the fast track to becoming a global power. All of which is a credit to India in the world's eyes.

With regard to Chanakyan strategies - India has made unprecedented diplomatic gains in East and South East Asia over the last couple of years, continued to build up strategic relations with Israel, while making inroads into Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia and Turkey, and maintaining good relations with the Middle East including UAE, Egypt, Oman and Lebanon. All of which was done in a deliberate understated manner instead of the typical chest thumping style in which the west approaches matters.
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

Viv S wrote:How about decades of outstanding service as a civil servant, implementing fundamental economic reforms in the 90s as finance minister, sustaining high economic growth and introducing the biggest and cleanest modernization of the Indian military during his tenure as PM.

India has made unprecedented diplomatic gains in East and South East Asia over the last couple of years, continued to build up strategic relations with Israel, while making inroads into Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia and Turkey, and maintaining good relations with the Middle East including UAE, Egypt, Oman and Lebanon.
I agree with most of what you say, atleast at a high level but i have 2 cribs...
1) "Introducing the biggest and cleanest modernization of the Indian military" - Neither did he introduce, nor did he push/champion for this. I is happening inspite of him. Incidentally he is the nominal PM now.
2) "unprecedented diplomatic gains in East and South East Asia..." - Indian Economic and Mil prowess is the reason and again, this is happening inspite of MMS.
Credit for not DERAILING these processes should go to MMS.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I like the heat generated in young minds when we feel that others around us are advancing and making us less secure. This will result in positive outcome for the forces soon.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

Are we actually making anything our selves or just buying stuff left & right from foreign countries.
tejas
BRFite

Post by tejas »

The PSU sloths that virtually monopolize India's MIC has led to the absurd situation where even a piston propellor driven basic trainor must be bought from abroad. In this case Switzerland. Does the GOI have any shame whatsoever? India is buying weapons from countries the size of small cities.

I was reading with interest forum members commenting on the IAF proposal to take over HAL. How the hell is that going to make any difference. Why is it every country on this planet that sells weapons to India does it via private companies while India with its uber PSUs is always buying and needs transfer of technology? The answer to that question seems to be obvious to everyone on this planet besides the mental pygmies that make up the GOI.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

ah yet another whinefest that is high on rhetoric but low on facts and whose only objective seems to be somehow blame the pet villain, the evil PSU's.
at least keep the criticism connected to real world facts and relevant to the issue ?

HAL has been proposing one trainer after another (about once every decade, starting with this way back in 1984) but IAF has always ignored them.

this is from 1994 http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_h ... n28640956/
HAL's big surprise is the HTT-35 trainer, aimed for the first time at the export market. "We are investing our own money," says Sharma. "If we can get orders for about 70 to 80 aircraft from three or four customers, we can go ahead with detailed design and development, and even speed up the project." {of course, that order would never come, which country would buy aircraft that the manufucterer's own air force does not want ?}

He hopes to export the HTT-35 even before the IAF receives its first units. First flight would be due 30 months after a go-ahead. In the Pilatus PC-9/Embraer Tucano-class {oh the irony !}, the HTT-35 will have a more advanced design and a glass cockpit. "A major advantage will be product flexibility," adds Sharma. "It will offer a choice of engines -- Garrett TPE331-12D (1,100shp) or P&WC PT6A-62 (950shp) -- and equipment. This will provide customers with flexibility, so they can tailor their training according to requirements, from primary screening up to advanced and weapons training."
it just takes a couple of clicks to find this info via google but hey, blaming someone is always easier right ? :roll:
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

90% of his posts are rants on the same topic, so nothing new. Meanwhile head over to the missiles thread for something interesting, a real good bit of news. The missile portfolio gets rounded out, now only for a deployable Shourya to replace the Prithvi.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

tejas wrote:besides the mental pygmies that make up the GOI.
er - piskology always causes cognitive dissonance.

The GoI are not Martians. They are Indians. The GoI are mental pygmies because Indians are mental pygmies. The thought process that says "I am Indian. I am not a mental pygmy, therefore Indians cannot be mental pygmies" is wrong. Cognitive bias is what it is called, based on faulty logic as follows: "I am Indian. I am like this, therefore all Indians must be like me"

JMT IMHO etc
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Indian Army Looks Overseas for Acquiring Variety of Ammunition
The Indian Army is planning to procure a variety of ammunition and assault rifles to the tune of $ 1 billion from the overseas market in order to arm the additional troops along the Sino-Indian border. The procurement includes 122 mm howitzer ammunition, 160mm mortar High Explosive (HE) ammunition, carbines and a variety of ammunition for the carbines.

The tender for the procurement has been issued to Germany’s Heckler and Koch, Israel Weapon Industries Ltd (IWI), Colt Defense of United States, Bushmaster Firearms International and Singapore Technologies Kinetics Limited. The requirement of carbines is 44,000 units along with variety of ammunition.

Besides the carbines and its ammunition, Indian Army will also acquire magazines, bayonets,(???WHY) slings, reflex sights and visible and invisible laser spot designators. The Indian Army has also specified that it is looking for a 5.56 mm calibre system with a rate of fire of 660 rounds a minute as well as a 10,730 light-weight assault rifles for its special forces.

India has also invited bids for acquisition of 5,178 numbers of 160mm Mortar High Explosive ammunition along with Fuze. The 160mm High Explosive (HE) bomb will be used for support of ground troops and armoured units and the High Explosive bomb should be functional with both fragmentation and blast effects. The HE bomb is an aerodynamically shaped, fin-stabilized projectile designed to give maximum stability and accuracy. The total weight of the bomb should be 38.5 kilograms with the shell body weight of 29.15 kilograms and HE filling of 4.85 kilograms. The length should be 870mm. The HE bomb should be provided with the PDM-111-A2 fuze which is a point detonating fuze, incorporating both super quick and delay action.

India has also invited bids for acquiring 122mm Howitzer as well as 33,700 numbers of 122mm Reduce charge are required. The shelf life of the Howitzer ammunition should be 15 years under sheltered conditions during peace time. The ammunition should be compatible with the 122MM howitzer gun.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

shiv wrote:
tejas wrote:besides the mental pygmies that make up the GOI.
er - piskology always causes cognitive dissonance.

The GoI are not Martians. They are Indians. The GoI are mental pygmies because Indians are mental pygmies. The thought process that says "I am Indian. I am not a mental pygmy, therefore Indians cannot be mental pygmies" is wrong. Cognitive bias is what it is called, based on faulty logic as follows: "I am Indian. I am like this, therefore all Indians must be like me"

JMT IMHO etc
Shiv, you aren't a mental pygmy. :wink:

But on a serious note, what is worrying me is the work culture in the GOI. A very committe driven approach. The Defence & Finance Ministries should be marching to the beat of the military drum. Rather than see various RFPs circling in the complexity of delays and uncertainity. If I had my way, The Minister of Defence could remain a politician, but I would have three Minsiters of State. One each, a retired officer of strategic repute, from each wing of the Armed Forces.

Once a budget is allocated for defence, why should the MoF be involved? Except to keep track of the macro-spending parameters and ensure it is within the budget allocated. The accountability, then, would rest with MoD. Besides there is a CCS, CAG too.

I shudder to think, that if hostilities break out on both fronts in these times, the burden on the human component of the Military would be humungous. A burden that could have been lessened by speedier acquisitions.

This style of functioning is slowly spreading and though Indians are looked on, overseas, as a race with commanding mental prowress, the methodology we follow of getting things done in India project us as pygmies.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

rajanb wrote:
shiv wrote: er - piskology always causes cognitive dissonance.

JMT IMHO etc
Shiv, you aren't a mental pygmy. :wink:

But on a serious note, what is worrying me is the work culture in the GOI. A very committe driven approach. The Defence & Finance Ministries should be marching to the beat of the military drum. Rather than see various RFPs circling in the complexity of delays and uncertainity. If I had my way, The Minister of Defence could remain a politician, but I would have three Minsiters of State. One each, a retired officer of strategic repute, from each wing of the Armed Forces.

Once a budget is allocated for defence, why should the MoF be involved? Except to keep track of the macro-spending parameters and ensure it is within the budget allocated. The accountability, then, would rest with MoD. Besides there is a CCS, CAG too.

I shudder to think, that if hostilities break out on both fronts in these times, the burden on the human component of the Military would be humungous. A burden that could have been lessened by speedier acquisitions.

This style of functioning is slowly spreading and though Indians are looked on, overseas, as a race with commanding mental prowress, the methodology we follow of getting things done in India project us as pygmies.
And then how will the politicians, MoD and other babus make some money ? You expect them to live just on their salary ?

K
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

VinodTK wrote:Indian Army Looks Overseas for Acquiring Variety of Ammunition
The Indian Army is planning to procure a variety of ammunition and assault rifles to the tune of $ 1 billion from the overseas market in order to arm the additional troops along the Sino-Indian border. The procurement includes 122 mm howitzer ammunition, 160mm mortar High Explosive (HE) ammunition, carbines and a variety of ammunition for the carbines.

The tender for the procurement has been issued to Germany’s Heckler and Koch, Israel Weapon Industries Ltd (IWI), Colt Defense of United States, Bushmaster Firearms International and Singapore Technologies Kinetics Limited. The requirement of carbines is 44,000 units along with variety of ammunition.

Besides the carbines and its ammunition, Indian Army will also acquire magazines, bayonets,(???WHY) slings, reflex sights and visible and invisible laser spot designators. The Indian Army has also specified that it is looking for a 5.56 mm calibre system with a rate of fire of 660 rounds a minute as well as a 10,730 light-weight assault rifles for its special forces.

India has also invited bids for acquisition of 5,178 numbers of 160mm Mortar High Explosive ammunition along with Fuze. The 160mm High Explosive (HE) bomb will be used for support of ground troops and armoured units and the High Explosive bomb should be functional with both fragmentation and blast effects. The HE bomb is an aerodynamically shaped, fin-stabilized projectile designed to give maximum stability and accuracy. The total weight of the bomb should be 38.5 kilograms with the shell body weight of 29.15 kilograms and HE filling of 4.85 kilograms. The length should be 870mm. The HE bomb should be provided with the PDM-111-A2 fuze which is a point detonating fuze, incorporating both super quick and delay action.

India has also invited bids for acquiring 122mm Howitzer as well as 33,700 numbers of 122mm Reduce charge are required. The shelf life of the Howitzer ammunition should be 15 years under sheltered conditions during peace time. The ammunition should be compatible with the 122MM howitzer gun.
Why 122 mm howitzers ? Since when did we have 122 mm guns ? Or we going to add 122 mm guns to our 100 / 105 / 130 / 155 mm range ?

I M KONPHUSED

K
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

bayonets?
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

And then how will the politicians, MoD and other babus make some money ? You expect them to live just on their salary ?

K
Sure, corruption is also detrimental to many things, including defence preparedness. A cancer eating into civil society. Need to irradiate that too. Bit O/T for this thread.
Will
BRFite

Post by Will »

If HAL cant develop a basic trainer why dont they ask Mahindra Aerospace to do it instead of running after these foreign buys!!
tejas
BRFite

Post by tejas »

Shiv garu, just because most politicians in India are mental pygmies does not make all Indians mental pygmies. I guess what upsets me to no end is how well Indians do here in Umrikah and how poorly run India is. Whether it is irrational market disrupting and poverty producing economic laws or continued reliance on a state owned defense production network that requires rifles to be purchased from abroad something is fundamentally wrong.

I may cry hoarse about PSUs on this forum but until the GOI divests itself of ALL businesses India will forever remain behind the West when it should be leading them. Sorry for the OT post.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Will wrote:If HAL cant develop a basic trainer why dont they ask Mahindra Aerospace to do it instead of running after these foreign buys!!
since when did HAL lose the ability to develop a basic trainer and when did mahindra aerospace gain the ability to do it ?
it's difficult to understand this blind faith in pvt co's just because they are in pvt hands.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Rahul M wrote:
Will wrote:If HAL cant develop a basic trainer why dont they ask Mahindra Aerospace to do it instead of running after these foreign buys!!
since when did HAL lose the ability to develop a basic trainer and when did mahindra aerospace gain the ability to do it ?
it's difficult to understand this blind faith in pvt co's just because they are in pvt hands.
I agree. Pvt. MICs land up having agendas of their own.

The PSU's have their share of dedicated people who are a minority in running it compared to the politically inclined within the organisations. And all this aided and abetted by the political masters of our country. I have dealt with PSus since the 80's and it was heartening to see the dedication, fervour and patriotism. Sadly diluted to the country's detriment.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

I would like to clarify that I am not against pvt participation in any way but propping up pvt co's as a panacea for all that ails India's MIC is hugely counter-productive, it has to be done on case by case and the co's themselves have to prove they are capable of accepting the responsibilities.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Correct me if I am wrong but this is an image of an Indian army 122 mm artillery piece
Corrected - that's OFB's 105 mm
Last edited by shiv on 07 Jul 2011 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

shiv wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but this is an image of an Indian army 122 mm artillery piece

I thought the IA had only 3 calibers, 105mm ,130mm and 155 mm guns. 122mm is new to me atleast.
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

why?

All Soviet ahem ... allies operated the D-30 122mm with its touted 360 degree swivel capability. India was no exception. We got some 30 regiments of it.
Correct me if I am wrong but this is an image of an Indian army 122 mm artillery piece
The picture posted above is however not D-30. That's the OFB's 105 mm Light Field Gun.
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

D-30 122mm guns more commonly seen with plains infantry divisions since the 1980s.
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

Rupak wrote:D-30 122mm guns more commonly seen with plains infantry divisions since the 1980s.
We learn something new everyday in BRF!!!
looks like a powerful weapon, albeit old... they are used to devastating effect in a direct fire mode. I am not able to see any pictures of this in Desh Army?
Edited:
also it is not in any TOE. Desh is also not listed as an user anywhere? could we have retired them from active service and has been mothballed?
Surprise, BR lists it in Indian Army TOE as a towed Artillery.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

D Roy wrote:why?

All Soviet ahem ... allies operated the D-30 122mm with its touted 360 degree swivel capability. India was no exception. We got some 30 regiments of it.
The picture posted above is however not D-30. That's the OFB's 105 mm Light Field Gun.
Thx for the correction.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Navigation technology to be provided to Indian air force bases by Northrop Grumman
OSLO, Norway, 6 July 2011. Navigation and other air traffic management (ATM) equipment from Northrop Grumman Park Air Systems is being provided to air bases in India under the Indian air force's Modernization of Air Field Infrastructure (MAFI) project. Equipment includes Doppler VHF omni-directional range systems (DVOR) and instrument landing systems (ILS).

Northrop Grumman will supply 30 NORMARC 7000 ILS and 31 NORMARC DVOR systems all to be completed over the three plus years.

This is the first phase of the MAFI India project, with an option for a second phase of the program for upgrading 30 more airfields operated by the Indian armed forces.

The contract was awarded by the Tata Power Company Limited, Strategic Electronics Division (Tata Power SED).

When completed, the project will provide the Indian military airfields with modern ATM, navigation, and landing systems, as well as meteorological and communications facilities.
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

VinodTK wrote:Northrop Grumman will supply 30 NORMARC 7000 ILS and 31 NORMARC DVOR systems all to be completed over the three plus years.
What is so great about this equipment that they should import these from Northrop? is it some global standard to use this equipment to maintain some conformity?
Edited: Didn't know they were a joint bidder with Tata's
Last edited by Shrinivasan on 07 Jul 2011 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

well I dont think there are any domestic suppliers for this kit. raytheon supplies civil ATC gear to many airports in india.
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

Singha wrote:well I dont think there are any domestic suppliers for this kit. raytheon supplies civil ATC gear to many airports in india.
edited: removed my comment.
Last edited by Shrinivasan on 07 Jul 2011 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I didnt mean that. see here http://news.oneindia.in/2011/04/11/tata ... d0143.html

tata+raytheon was one bidder and they won the contract.
finmeccanica+selex and siemens+thales were others.
selex sued in court after the loss and court disposed the case quickly

where do you see the mopoly? all the others have sources of such eqpt and could win the next deal.
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

Singha wrote:tata+raytheon was one bidder and they won the contract.
finmeccanica+selex and siemens+thales were others.
selex sued in court after the loss and court disposed the case quickly
where do you see the mopoly? all the others have sources of such eqpt and could win the next deal.
Sorry, i got it.. didn;t realise the Tata's bid was a joint bid with Raytheon. Thanks... i'll clean the post.
devesh
BRF Oldie

Post by devesh »

Shrinivasan ji,

don't clean up the posts like that. it makes the person who responds look like an idiot. just keep it. so there is a flow to the posts, otherwise everybody can go back and edit posts to suit knowledge gained in later posts, and that would be a nightmare for people trying to read all the info.
akimalik
BRFite

Post by akimalik »

I just received the Annual Report of Astra Microwave.
In the report, they mention that for the first time they have participated in a Transfer or Tech/Knowledge from a foreign partner.
Any idea what this could be?
I believe Astra Microwave in involved in supplying components for BEL's radars.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The 160mm mortars are for mountian warfare. They should try to fit the Krasnopol kit on those shells for more effectiveness.
Due to the slower speed of the mortar shell vs. the howitzer there should little hypersonic lift and thus work better.

The 155mm shells get hypersonic lift due to the high velocity in the thin air. The solution is to shorten the shell or slow it down. 160mmm mortar would do nicely.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Rearmament of India.

After several years of neglect, India is spending large sums of money to upgrade its armed forces.

During the Kargil War of May-July 1999, the Bofors artillery guns used their firepower with deadly accuracy and destroyed a large number of enemy bunkers and other fortified positions. But there was a problem: Pakistani cannons accurately targeted and destroyed a number of these guns. It was learnt, only after the war, that

Pakistan’s gunners had “weapon-locating” radars that studied the trajectory of the shells fired by the Bofors guns to determine their position. And then the penny dropped: the Pakistani forces were better equipped than Indians. Alarmed, India, without further ado, bought similar equipment, called the ANQ Firefinder, from the United States.

In 2003, the Indian and French Air Forces held a joint exercise. It was found that the French pilots could hook on to the radar system of Indian fighter jets, though they were beyond visibility, and then bring them in the crosshairs of their missiles. In actual war, Indian pilots would have been sitting ducks. Exposed poorly in the exercise, the Indian Air Force is acquiring the same capabilities for its Mirage aircraft from France. Also in the works is a similar indigenous “Beyond Visual Range” missile called the Astra.

After a long pause, the rearmament of India has begun. New weapon systems are being acquired — combat jets, ships, tanks, artillery guns, missiles, radars, etc — and existing hardware is getting overhauled. Various think-tanks estimate that India will spend anywhere between $75 billion and $100 billion over the next seven years to bolster its military capabilities. The annual defence budget, at almost $41 billion, or a tad over 2 per cent of the gross domestic product, is at an all-time high. Off-book expenditure would make it at least a quarter higher. India finally has more staying power than Pakistan if there is war, defence analysts on both sides of the border have started to say.

And there is a mindset change: no longer is India running after the lowest-cost suppliers; quality is all that matters, price is irrelevant. Thus, the Dassault Rafale and Eurofighter Typhoon, the two aircraft short-listed for the medium multi-role combat aircraft, happen to be the most expensive of the original six in the fray. True, cheaper hardware from Russia helped India when its finances were precarious, but their long-term maintenance was costlier. The engines of Russian fighter jets, for example, need to be replaced after 500 hours of flying, while those of American and European aircraft need to be changed after 1,200 hours.

In fact, the rearmament has already begun. India has ordered three (two have been delivered) Phalcon early-warning aircraft from Israel, which can spot any aircraft or missile within minutes of its takeoff in Pakistan. Four more have been ordered for deployment in the east. An airborne warning and control system is being developed indigenously on the Embraer platform. Six P-8i Poseidon planes, the most sophisticated naval surveillance and detection aircraft in the world, have been ordered from Boeing. The C-130J Super Hercules from Lockheed Martin, which can carry up to 150 personnel with Jeeps and howitzers and can take off from short strips and land on dirt tracks at night, is another high-tech acquisition. The Samyukta electronic warfare system, developed by the Defence Research & Development Organisation and Bharat Electronics, can jam enemy voice, data and other signals. These are all being seen as force-multipliers.

That’s not all. The road network in the North-East is being spruced up. An all-weather tunnel at the Rohtang pass will improve access to Leh and Kargil. Frontline airfields are getting a facelift so that they can station and fly modern aircraft. The Western Naval Command has moved from Mumbai to a brand new facility at Karwar. And existing equipment is being upgraded. The Air Force, for example, has contacted Dassault of France and Mikoyan of Russia to upgrade the Mirage (for $2 billion) and Mig-29 (for $964 million), respectively.

Actually, India is catching up after years of neglect which has blunted the fighting capabilities of all three wings of the armed forces. The Air Force, for instance, has only 32 combat-ready squadrons, against the required 45. Many of these squadrons have aircraft well past their “best-use” date. On the other hand, the geo-strategic scenario in the country’s vicinity isn’t getting any simpler. India is the only country which has two nuclear-armed neighbours, and with both it has several disputes running. The situation in the western neighbourhood beyond Pakistan is certain to remain unstable for long. Almost three-fourths of India’s crude oil comes from politically-volatile West Asia. So, the Indian Navy will have to guard the sea routes; it has in fact already been in operations against Somali pirates. As a growing economic powerhouse, India cannot be impervious to developments in its neighbourhood.

At the moment, India’s numbers compare favourably with Pakistan. Thus, India has 1.3 million men and women in olive green against Pakistan’s 617,000, 4,700 main battle tanks (Pakistan has 2,500), 11,300 artillery guns (4,300), 45 warships (10) and 16 conventional submarines (8). But the numbers look puny when compared to China (2.25 million soldiers, 7,500 main battle tanks, over 15,000 artillery guns, over 100 warships and 50 conventional submarines). Defence experts say that India needs to get over its Pakistan fixation and benchmark itself against China. “The rearmament, when complete, will enable us to compete with China today. But by then, China will have progressed and we will still be chasing,” says Lt General B S Malik (retd), former chief of the Western Command. “The Chinese have used the 20 years of peace signed in the mid-1980s to develop infrastructure in Tibet, which enhances their strike capabilities.” India’s urgency begins to make sense.

The armed forces, as a result, will look very different in 2020 from today. The numerical strength could be 20 per cent below the 1.3 million now, but the capabilities will be far superior. Artillery guns — towed guns, ultra-light howitzers, track-mounted howitzers and self-propelled guns — worth $4 billion will have been purchased, there will be 15 stealth frigates as compared to six now, 12 guided missile destroyers (three today), three nuclear submarines (none now), three aircraft carriers (none now) and 35 combat-ready air-force squadrons (32 now). The number of T-90 (Bhishma) tanks is being upped from 320 to 1,100. Larsen & Toubro and Raytheon have been mandated to give a facelift to the T-72 tanks.

No less ambitious is the missile programme. The Agni I (700 km range) and Agni II (2,200 km) missiles, both capable of carrying nuclear warheads, have been inducted. The Agni III (3,500 km) has undergone multiple tests and user trials, and is learnt to have been deployed; the Agni V (5,500 km range) will be tested later this year. This missile will be canister-based, which means it can be dismantled and taken to any place for deployment — this will help it evade satellite surveillance. By 2017, Indian could even have inter-continental ballistic missiles which have a range of over 8,000 km. This may face international opposition, and will therefore have to be a political decision.

In addition, the K4 (3,500 km) and K15 (750 km) land-attack and submarine-launched cruise missiles, respectively, are expected to join service by 2017. The Akash air-defence missile, which had at one time spluttered and was nearly abandoned, now has the armed forces thrilled. Eight units have been ordered to defend the frontier air bases and other strategic stations. Drone capabilities are also being developed, indigenously as well as with import from Israel.

Little is known about the infantry modernisation programme except that most soldiers are being trained to operate in a net-centric environment, and will be supported by sophisticated communication systems. Individually, soldiers are being equipped with a superior rifle (the INSAS 5.56 mm was not very successful). The army may go back to the tried and tested AK47 imported from Bulgaria and countries of the former Soviet Union. Night-fighting capabilities are being progressively inducted. The earlier equipment was imported from Israel but is now made under licence by Bharat Electronics. The Russian infantry combat vehicles currently in use will be replaced with modern vehicles at a cost of $12 billion.

With such ambitious acquisition plans and large budgets, the biggest gainer ought to be the Indian defence industry. Indeed, in the last few years business groups like Tata, Godrej, Mahindra and Larsen & Toubro have entered the defence industry. But the gains are far from satisfactory. The Defence Purchase Policy has thrown open the market for domestic private companies, but hardly any order has been placed with them. As a result, most of them have to make do with sub-contracts for parts, etc — crumbs. Mahindra & Mahindra let the licence it obtained in 2003 for small firearms lapse because the government couldn’t decide one way or the other. “No decision came for five to six years; so we exited,” says Brig (retd) Khutub A Hai, the chief executive of Mahindra Defence Systems. That decision, for the record, has still not been made. Hai no longer wants to be in that business.

The public sector suffers from quality issues, which has caused serious problems of induction. For example, India had bought the Sukhoi30MKI aircraft from Russia on the condition that only 40 would be imported in “fly-away” condition, while the rest would be produced under licence by Hindustan Aeronautics. Tardy delivery made the Air Force import more jets directly from Russia, which pushed up the costs. The delays in the Scorpene submarine programme too have been caused by the inability to absorb modern technology. “The public sector has failed. In spite of its monopoly, Bharat Electronics is just a $1-billion company,” says an observer who doesn’t wish to be named.

As a matter of record, the defence ministry returned $5.5 billion between 2002 and 2009 to the treasury because it couldn’t spend the money. And Defence Minister A K Antony’s dream of importing only 30 per cent of the requirements is likely to remain a dream for quite some time. Most of the purchases have been made outside India through government-to-government contracts.

In the Gurkha war of 1815, the highlanders attacked the East India Company troops with few weapons and lots of courage, accompanied by the beats of kettledrums and strains of bagpipes. That is when the expression band baj gaya (we are done) was born. Finally, the Indian soldier will have more than just raw courage and band power to go to the battlefield.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted.
shukla wrote:Indian Navy plans to induct of new radar systems
"We are considering induction of shipborne precision approach radars to assist in recovery of fixed wing aircraft and helicopters during landing on aircraft carriers," officials said here.

They said the Navy has issued a Request for Information in this regard and has sought responses from global vendors.

Presumably the RFI put out by the Indian Navy for “Shipborne Precision Approach Radar” for Aircraft Carrier Operations is for equipping the IAC.

Excerpt from the "Official" RFI
REQUEST FOR INFORMATION

SHIPBORNE PRECISION APPROACH RADAR

INDIAN NAVY IS CONSIDERING INDUCTION OF A ‘SHIPBORNE PRECISION APPROACH RADAR’ OF STATE-OF-THE-ART TECHNOLOGY. THE RADAR IS REQUIRED TO ASSIST IN RECOVERY OF AIRCRAFT (FIXED WING AND HELICOPTERS) DURING LANDING ONBOARD THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER………………
From the “View Document” link in the “Tender Document” section on this page:

Clicky
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

arun wrote:Indian Navy plans to induct of new radar systems……………
Excellent news, IN always plans ahead, good to have all its ducks lined up rather than scramble at the 11th hour and pay extra...
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Tata Motors in the running for big Indian military contract
Tata Motors' acquisition of Jaguar Land Rover raised its profile among military customers as well as the world's luxury auto markets. Tata ( TTM , quote ) surprised some analysts by bidding for a contract to develop and sell $10 billion in lightly armored personnel carriers to the Indian army. Some heavyweights in the Indian defense sector are competing for the sale, along with rival car maker Mahindra & Mahindra (thinly traded here as MAHMF , quote ), which has its own military connections. True, Tata is best known for ultra-low-cost cars like the Nano, aimed at entry-level drivers. So a few analysts are dismissing the idea that this company has any serious chance of winning the contract. But remember, Land Rover got its start as an adaptation of British military vehicle designs, and plenty of these durable cars remain in use throughout the world's armies. Markets have focused on the "Jaguar" side of JLR, which Tata bought in early 2008 from Ford Motor ( F , quote ) for barely $2.3 billion. Jaguar's luxury passenger cars are in high demand in China, Europe and other markets. Maybe now is the time that Land Rover served as Tata's ace in the hole on the military side. We will know more when Delhi releases its short list of candidates by the end of the month. Meanwhile, TTM looks like it has momentum behind it, and a win here could add enormous upside for this company, which still only does $20 million in revenue a year:
: