Surrendered Militants in COIN Ops

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: Surrendered Militants in COIN Ops

Post by jamwal »

True
Many surrendered terrorists get government jobs in police as well as other departments. There is very little that their supporters can feel bad about.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

manjgu wrote:rayC, while it is correct that live by the gun and die by the gun..but these chaps were essentially cast away by the powers to be, the govt of the day..maybe they outlived their utility?
The Ikhwanis are not govt controlled.

They work under Army control and paid by the Army, though I cannot for sure say if the funds are from the State or the Union govt.
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

http://bluekashmir.blogspot.com/

A lot on Ikhwan from an (alleged) eyewitness. RayC, how credible does this sound?
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Rishi wrote:http://bluekashmir.blogspot.com/

A lot on Ikhwan from an (alleged) eyewitness. RayC, how credible does this sound?
An interesting blog.

Hizbul Mujahideen, Lashkar-e-Toiba and Harkat-ul-Ansar—were the terrorist organisation to be reckoned with. But a split in the Hizbul Mujahideen and the subsequent sidelining of one of its leaders, Salauddin, by the ISI has further weakened the outfit.

It is an interesting phenomenon - these terrorists of local origin. Many get trained in Pakistan, come over to Kashmir, earn some money and then they melt into the surrounding since they prefer their families to war or dying. Some, however, believe in a greater life after death as has been ordained by Islam.

Now, these people who have come as terrorists, earned some money thereof from Pakistan's ISI, perform some acts, but then they actually yearn for their family. They switch loyalties. However, without protection, they are sitting ducks for the terrorists since they will also go after the turncoats. Hence, they become Ikhwans or join the SOG.

With no prejudice I will say this that the Kashmiris are timid people. Even Kashmiri historians have mentioned so. There is a good reason for that - Kashmir has never seen peace or aggression for more than 100 years and single time! It has always been under someone else's domination. They hate authority and are very what in Hindi they say, bindaas - Live and Let Live attitude. The are culturally very advanced and so is their arts and craft, but, if one notices, it is not industry driven, but domestically i.e. individual family driven. Their work is lyric in art, be it walnut wood creation, papier mâché, carpets and what have you! Their poetry, music and cuisine is highly advanced and lyrical (it maybe noted that the variety of vegetables grown is rather limited compared to rest of India).

Hence, they are intrinsically averse to violence. It is the pan Islamism after 9/11 and Saudi money that is changing the mindset.

Now to the blog.

It is obvious that it was by a person who has dreams of Kashmir as an independent entity, without realising the geopolitical realities and the economic aspect - a dreamer. Hence, he has let his imagination run wild - IA soldier laughing while Mast Gul conducts prayer meetings!! They would have apprehended Mast Gul and not laughed.

This piece below would indicate that Mast Gul would have not been spared and no IA personnel would allow him to have the last tears for his comrades:
Former J&K Governor and an ex- BJP MP Jagmohan wrote this piece recently in September of 2008 in the Asian Age recounting the Charar-e-Sharief incident.
]
The fatal flaws of the Indian State and its leadership are reflected vividly in the events, from December 1994 to May 1995, pertaining to the famous shrine Charar-e-Sharief, built in 1808-10 in honour of Sheikh Nuruddin who founded the Sufi-Rishi order.

About 50 hard-core militants, led by an Afghan mercenary, Mast Gul, sneaked into the dargah. The state and Central intelligence agencies remained ignorant or casual about their presence. The militants dug in and collected a large number of lethal weapons inside the complex.

It was only on March 5, 1995, when they killed two BSF jawans, that the seriousness of the situation dawned upon the authorities.

On March 8, the Army moved in to lay a sort of siege from a distance of about two kilometres.

Characteristically, the government was quick to announce “safe passage” to the militants.

But the offer was spurned by Mast Gul. Both, at the state and Central level, indecision and confusion continued while militants called the shots. Eventually, on May 11, 1995, the dargah and the adjoining houses and shopping complex were burnt down.

Physically, Charar-e-Sharief shrine was burnt by pro-Pakistani elements. But, on a different plane, it was burnt by the timidity and hesitancy of the Indian government. Pakistan and its terrorist outfits committed the “crime” by commission. The Indian government committed it by omission.

After Charar-e-Sharief, Prime Minister Narasimha Rao’s statement in Parliament on May 12, 1995, that burning down of the shrine by mercenaries and militants was only going to steel our determination, sounded pathetic.

Could there be a worse demonstration of ineptness and lack of will? The monumental mishandling resulted in total destruction of the historic shrine, burning of 800 houses and 200 shops, besides costing millions of rupees to the country’s exchequer and causing grave human misery and pain not only to the residents of Charar-e-Sharief but also to thousands of others who became victims of the fallout.

What is still more deplorable is that Mast Gul, the most wanted foreign mercenary, escaped and even held press conferences and TV interviews on Indian soil.

Overnight, he became a cult figure, providing a further prop to subversion and terrorism in Kashmir.

For this incident, which made India a laughing stock of the world, no one was held accountable.
http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showth ... p?t=150086
I have no statistics of the number of Ikhwanis, but it is divided into North and South Kashmir and I daresay, given the Kashmiri psyche, there are enough to indicate that they are there because of the Kashmiri psyche of being averse to turmoil, more than money or any other consideration!

The blog is of a true Kashmiri - a dreamer, an artist, who has very little to do with geopolitics, geostrategy and instead weaving dream sequences of event seen and perceived!!
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

I personally find it quite exaggerated. But I cannot say for sure. Many atrocities are never reported in newspapers, or are just referred to in passing.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

atreya wrote:I personally find it quite exaggerated. But I cannot say for sure. Many atrocities are never reported in newspapers, or are just referred to in passing.
Exaggerated? The Blog or my post?

Have you interacted with the Kashmiri media!

I would be delighted that I am incorrect!

It will give me hope!
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

There is a saying that Arundhuti Roy and her friends never heard:

Bamboo, Bamboo in the grass,
Why are you not up my ****
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

No sir, I was referring to the blog.
No I have NEVER interacted with the Kashmiri media. The "newspapers" I am referring to are those in circulation in Delhi.
My logic of calling it an "exaggeration" is that if such heinous crimes are committed on a regular basis in Kashmir, then national newspapers should ATLEAST mention some of them. Encounters with militants are frequently reported in these newspapers (a fraction of the encounters that really take place, I am told). But none of these atrocities are reported. Why so?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

atreya wrote:....... But none of these atrocities are reported. Why so?
which atrocities ? media mostly ignored the large scale genocide against KPs, what do you expect ?
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

I generally read the material in full before I form any opinion. But I could not go more than half way in this case. It was so obscenely biased.
As RayC Sir observed, a blog of a dreamer living in his own fantasy world.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

Rahul M wrote:
atreya wrote:....... But none of these atrocities are reported. Why so?
which atrocities ? media mostly ignored the large scale genocide against KPs, what do you expect ?
That was SO naive of me! Sometimes, I feel I am such a big fool. The media ignores so many atrocities all around the country. Anyways, that is a point to be discussed in another thread.

I agree with Parijat and RayC sir. The blog is quite biased.
Now, I would like to ask you people an honest question. From many posts above, I can infer that though the Ikhwanis proved their usefulness in many cases, they also overstepped their boundaries, and acted cruelly against civilians.
My question is this- does the usefulness of the Ikhwanis outweigh their negatives?
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

My question is this- does the usefulness of the Ikhwanis outweigh their negatives?
This is a moral question.

Are they are part of India or are they not.

In fact, one could ask is there a requirement for an Army as an instrument of government?

For sure they don't feel that they are a part of Pakistan, given the way they have reacted to the Pakistan govt to declare Balwaristan as a separate entity beyond Kashmir!

I appreciate the desire of Kashmiris to be a separate entity. But will it be economically viable? Is the Kashmiri desire to be separate any different from Bal Thakersay's Marathi Manush or from any other sub-nationalist desires?

My life is with the Mahars and I can speak Marathi that can be understood, but I am worried of going to Bombay. Some fool there would be against me because I am not a Maharastrian.

India must ensure that every State gets its place in the sun. Unfortunately, life being what it is, it is never done. The ideal is not achievable.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Another facet to Ikhwanis.
It is a fact that violence in the valley is on the rise and for the first time in many, many months, the security forces are bearing the brunt of a renewed militant offensive. In many places, army convoys have been ambushed and hideouts of surrendered militants raided. Army commanders believe that surrendered militants who have defected are passing on vital information about the security forces to secessionist groups.

Police sources also say they have reason to believe that diehard militants have succeeded in infiltrating the ranks of the surrendered militants. And it is these moles who are helping out secessionist organisations like the Hizbul Mujahideen.

Perhaps encouraged by the defections, the Hizbul Mujahideen has made a tactical announcement: it has declared 'a general amnesty' for all surrendered militants. Simply put, it means that the Hizbul will welcome all those who had left the outfit and even co-operated with the security forces. Already, the result of this is said to be encouraging.

To some extent, the administration is to be blamed for this reverse trend among militants. No effort has been made to rehabilitate the surrendered militants and they always lived in fear of being bumped off by their rivals. Though some kind of protection was given to them, that was not enough to shield them from their erstwhile colleagues.

It is only now that the government has woken up to the gravity of the problem. Farooq Abdullah recently announced that two battalions of the CRPF and the BSF would be raised to accommodate those militants who have surrendered before the police and the army.

The right decision, but perhaps it has been taken a bit too late in the day.

Ikhwanis
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

http://epaper.hindustantimes.com/Articl ... 004&mode=1

An article on SPOs, who are surrendered Naxals drafted into the police
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Posting an old wiki leak from J&K thread. looks like TSP is doing reverse Insurgency with surrendered terrorists.
chetak wrote:‘Kashmiri politics is no longer about ideology, it’s all a money game’

This is a second post which exposes how money plays its part in Jammu and Kashmir politics. The previous post, a leaked Wikileaks cable, revealed how money is regularly being paid to political players in the state.

This post is aimed at those naive journalists/editors (or pretending to be naive) who are shocked at former Army Chief Gen VK Singh’s statement that Army paid certain ministers in J&K government to maintain stability in the state. The only surprising thing about his statement is that for the first time the admission has come from an official level and that too from a former Army Chief.

Read the cable sent to the US State Department by then US Ambassador to New Delhi David Mulford on April 7, 2006.

CONFIDENTIAL SECTION 01 OF 08 NEW DELHI 002365

SUBJECT: KASHMIRI SEPARATISTS LACK CLEAR AIM BUT TERRORISTS STILL TARGET DEMOCRACY

REF: ISLAMABAD 5767
NEW DELHI 00002365 001.2 OF 008

.....AND A NEW INFILTRATION WORRY EMERGES
————————————
9. (C) The new “get tough” Inspector General of Police, Rajender Kumar, told us that the J&K police’s usually excellent HUMINT had not detected some recent attacks in advance or traced the suspects through the usual channels. Kumar suspects that is because of an ingenious new terrorist tactic. The police and army have seen a surge in young men who appear at the LOC, turn in a rusty AK-47 or grenade, and insist they have surrendered. The army turns the returnees to the nearest local police station, which in turn essentially lets them go. Kumar said the system is idiotic because nobody releases these people into the custody of their parents of into a “halfway house” until the Indians can be reasonably certain that they have sincerely had a change of heart.

10. (C) Given that the alternative to “surrender” is infiltration that the Indians often detect (viz. the large battle in Gurez last summer to kill over 200 as they came across), Kumar thinks this new strategy is brilliant. He is convinced a terrorist cannot get all the way to the LOC without Pakistani knowledge because he has a devil of a time exfiltrating his HUMINT sources from that side without attracting their forces’ attention. As a result, he speculated, the “surrendered” returnees may have hit upon an ingenious way to walk into India and disappear, only to NEW DELHI 00002365 004.2 OF 008 attack again later. Kumar is working to rectify procedures for such surrenders. Meanwhile, he worries about the April 24 election, the PM’s planned May visit to J&K, the expected bumper crop of a million tourists and pilgrims this summer, and the on-going cat-and-mouse game between the police and the terrorists, especially after the snow melts.

11. (C) IGP Kumar’s assessment seemingly contradicts Yasin Malik’s claim to us April 7 upon his return from Islamabad that Pakistan’s Military Intelligence has closed the terrorist launch camps “to all the groups” and has permitted “zero infiltration” since the beginning of March; :lol: Josy Joseph :eek: of the new Mumbai newspaper “Daily News & Analysis” on March 30 wrote that “Pakistan has cut funding to the United Jihad Council and guides have been told not to assist infiltrations,” which Malik also told us. However, it is altogether possible that “surrender infiltration” has not been tabulated by Indian security agencies as traditional infiltration, and thus has escaped official reporting.

In that sense, democracy for the people of all five regions on both sides of Jammu and Kashmir state is vital, no matter how badly terrorists seek to destroy it[/b]. END COMMENT
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Way to go! Handling these guys would differ in some aspects to how it was done for the J&K model?

1,615 NDFB cadres surrender arms, ammunition in Assam
After peace pact, 1,615 NDFB cadres surrender arms, ammunition in Assam NDFB on Thursday surrendered their arms and ammunition before Assam chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal. Over 4,800 weapons, including AK rifles, light-machine guns and sten guns were laid down by the NDFB members

The government on Monday had signed an accord with the NDFB and two other outfits, providing political and economic benefits without acceding to the demand for a separate state or Union Territory with an aim to bring permanent peace in the Bodo-dominated areas in Assam.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Look up articles on SULFA from late 90s to mid 2000s.