Aircraft Recognition

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Aircraft Recognition

Post by shiv »

Tubes with wings. Can anyone recall any others?
MiG 15

MiG 17

MiG 19

Su-7

Su-9 (Fishpot)

MiG 21 (Fishbed)

F-86 Sabre

F-100 Super Sabre

English Electric Lightning

Dassault Ouragan

Dassault Mystere IV

Added later: Saab Tunnan (Flying Barrel). For a guy who has been following aircraft for decades - I did not know the existence of this one till I read a recent copy of Vayu
Last edited by shiv on 29 Sep 2010 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Quiz time for the whiz kids
Can anyone ID all these aircraft? I can't No bigger pic available to me.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

most seem to be X-planes, I can identify the F-15, X-31, SR-71(or a variant) and another lifting body X-plane which crashed whose name I don;t recall.
shiv wrote:
Rahul M wrote: XB-70 valkyrie, trisonic bomber. the project that led to the development of the mig-25 on the other side.
The US has a long history of getting two companies to compete. Theer was a time when the XB-70 and the YF-12A were both being developed together. Eventually neither went into service - but the YF-12 A became the eminently successful SR-71.
interesting that you mention this. the russians sometimes used this method and sometimes just gave the responsibility to a competent bureau, I think politics played a role as well.

post break-up, they tried going the competition way with MFI/LFI but eventually gave it up as too wasteful. the PAKFA was supposed to be a cooperative project between sukhoi and mig after sukhoi was chosen as the lead. I don't know what mig's contribution is in pAKFA, if any at all.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

^^^

The US is still at it. They did it for the JSF as well.
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

Raja Bose wrote:
shiv wrote:Many are aware of the B-24 Liberator bomber of WW2 of which the IAF refurbished and operated despite the US actually rendering them unflyable when they left them in India after WW 2.
OT but any jingo visiting Dilli must go to the IAF Museum (Palam) to check out one of the hobbled Liberators which was put back into action by IAF without benefit of any assistance.
It were Brits who wrecked the planes ( the planes belonged to RAF) before leaving India and not Americans. Seeing those monsters even now is a delight.

P.S : The main gear wheel wells in the wing (between the two engines on either side, not visible in the picture) are huge. Is the 6000 pound bomb ( left corner in the first pic) associated with the liberator or the canberra which is parked just besides it?

Cheers....
rsharma
BRFite

Post by rsharma »

shiv wrote:Quiz time for the whiz kids
Tough one.. but will give it a try..

The first one on the left with canards is X-31.. the second one looks like an F-15 with canards..
third is SR-71 Blackbird ( no mistaking it).. 4th looks like a " Delta Dart".. 6th is F-16X-Tech.Demonstrator.. next to it is X-38; ones they used to launch using a modified B-52.. cant make out the ones in the centre.. pic is too small..

waiting for the experts to correct me..
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

rsharma that was very good! All the shapes are familiar but I could not put a name to the two on the right of the Delta Dart (or Dagger)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

neerajb wrote:
P.S : The main gear wheel wells in the wing (between the two engines on either side, not visible in the picture) are huge. Is the 6000 pound bomb ( left corner in the first pic) associated with the liberator or the canberra which is parked just besides it?
The 6000 lb bomb goes in the Canberra I guess - i have a separate photo of Canberra with that bomb from HAL museum.

I use to see the Liberators flying in Pune in the early 1960s. Didn't think much of it at that time..
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

shiv wrote: Saab Tunnan (Flying Barrel). For a guy who has been following aircraft for decades - I did not know the existence of this one till I read a recent copy of Vayu
Wow... It seems exactly like the aircraft that the Enforcers fly in the "Swat Kats" cartoon..
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Shiv sir, the hi res version of the image
rsharma
BRFite

Post by rsharma »

ok.. let's see who gets it right..

The one on the right in the next pic..

Next one gives a big clue..

Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

YAK-141 whose VTOL system was used to develop the F-35 STOVL system.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

thanks bala. that's easier now.

from top clockwise, it is SR-71(not YF-12), F-106 delta dart(possibly a Q or drone version ?), F-16XL, X-38 (it's a lifting body alright but I mistook it for an older model in the smaller pic), X-36 scaled down tail-less fighter prototype, X-31, F-15 ACTIVE (?)

I don't know the small prop.
Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Gaur wrote:YAK-141 whose VTOL system was used to develop the F-35 STOVL system.
Along with the Yak 38 "Forger" in one pic
rsharma
BRFite

Post by rsharma »

shiv wrote:
Gaur wrote:YAK-141 whose VTOL system was used to develop the F-35 STOVL system.
Along with the Yak 38 "Forger" in one pic
That is right Shiv.. apparently the Soviet Naval Air Arm wanted the Yakovlev 141 to be the replacement of the "Forger", but the collapse of Soviet Union killed the program until Lockheed- Martin salvaged it and used a similar concept in the YF-35 project..
Jaeger
BRFite

Post by Jaeger »

shiv wrote:Deltas unlimited:
Pure Deltas. Can anyone recall any more?
Mirage 2000 (France)
Shiv, if I'm not mistaken, that line drawing is also of a Mirage III. Note the angle of the delta, the lack of strakes on the intakes, undercarriage placement on the wings & underside, and the sharp-edged vertical tail, as opposed to the 2000's more sinuous one...

Mirage 2000
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Jaeger wrote: Shiv, if I'm not mistaken, that line drawing is also of a Mirage III. Note the angle of the delta, the lack of strakes on the intakes, undercarriage placement on the wings & underside, and the sharp-edged vertical tail, as opposed to the 2000's more sinuous one...

Mirage 2000
It's possible. This crazy business of keeping 10 windows open simultaneously while Googling for images that are not oversize for the forum ensures that my capacity to think is exceeded.
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

shiv wrote:
neerajb wrote:
The 6000 lb bomb goes in the Canberra I guess - i have a separate photo of Canberra with that bomb from HAL museum.

I use to see the Liberators flying in Pune in the early 1960s. Didn't think much of it at that time..
Correction, that is 4000 lbs bomb that is carried internally in the bomb bay of Canberra. I was quite disappointed to see the windshields of Liberator painted in the same silver colour which was used to paint the fuselage. Equally disappointing were the act of some visitors who were jumping over the landing gear of An-12 as if it was a jungle gym. No respect for aircrafts of such historic importance. :(

Cheers....
palash_kol
BRFite -Trainee

Post by palash_kol »

Shivji....

From Left to Right:
1. X-31 experimental plane
2. NASA F-15 Prototype with canard for testing,
3. Its Hypersonic SR-71 Spy plane,
4. F-102 Delta Dagger
5. Delta wing F-16XL
6. Unidentified
7. X-36 Prototype
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

neerajb wrote:
Bala Vignesh wrote:I would like to purchase the book... Could please tell me your source or point to an alternate source...
Saar ji my copy is illicit. :mrgreen: Actually I was downloading WINGS documentaries when I hit upon this link. I thought it is some russian documentary on MiG-21 but was positively shocked to find out the ebook. I suggest you go for the original one from any online book shops. :)

Available on Amazon for 29 pounds.

Cheers....
29 pounds !!!!! One can purchase a MiG 21 for 290 pounds, in Afghanistan or Pakistan !!!

K
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

neerajb wrote:
shiv wrote: The F-8 Crusader was one of the early shipborne aircraft over Vietnam
One very intresting and strange feature of F-8 was variable incidence wing. Instead of using carnards/thrust vectoring (with inherent pilot visibility problems) for slow approach to the carrier, it used variable incidence wing to achive high angle of attack and at the same time keep the aircraft as level as possible though at the expense of weight and complexity.

Cheers....
The F 8 Crusader also has guns by the side and a little ahead, of the cockpit.

Besides the English Electric Lightning. the Crusader was the only a/c (to the best of my meagre knowledge) which carried air-to-air missiles on the front fuselage by the side and a little ahead, of the cockpit.

The Crusadar was used by the French Navy, till recently when it was replaced by the Rafale.

K
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

shiv wrote:For a long time the US made (and still does make) "F" series aircraft that are fighters - air superiority or multirole, and "B" series aircraft that were bombers, and "A" series of attack aircraft. "RB" was Reconnaissance-Bomber.

Everyone knows the B1 and B2. Many are aware of the B-24 Liberator bomber of WW2 of which the IAF refurbished and operated despite the US actually rendering them unflyable when they left them in India after WW 2.

Here a a few B series bombers from the Korea and Vietname era. Many were optimised for a nuke attack role

B-29 used in WW2 and Korea

B-36 (Peacemaker) - the biggest ever bomber. 6 props and 4 jet engines.

B-47 used in Korea - showing off rocket assisted takeoff (RATO) here

B-52 (Stratofortress) - Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan. "Rolling Thunder"

B-58 Hustler. A unique supersonic nuclear bomber with a 3 man crew. Later versions had the crew in separate capsules that allowed supersonic ejection. 25% of all aircraft were lost to accidents. Never used in war and never shot down.

A unique "bomb the crap out of all slanteyes" image B-36, B-47, B-52
What about one of my favourite aircraft ?

What about USN A-5 Vigilante naval shipboard nuclear bomber ? It had an internal bomb bay. Can you guess where ?

Between the two engines !! The bomb(s) was ejected rearwards.

The recce version, RA 5 saw considerble service especially in Vietnam,a s compared to the original bomber.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Does any body remember the SAAB Lansen ? I think it was the first jet aircraft made by SAAB. I do not think it was with any AF except Sweden. It was the Swedish 'Hunter'.

Kersi
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Kersi D wrote: What about USN A-5 Vigilante naval shipboard nuclear bomber ? It had an internal bomb bay. Can you guess where ?

Between the two engines !! The bomb(s) was ejected rearwards.

The recce version, RA 5 saw considerble service especially in Vietnam,a s compared to the original bomber.
Yes. In fact I was going to include the Vigilante in a classification called "box intakes". IIRC it was one of the earliest a/c to use the box intakes that became so familiar with F-14, F-15, MiG 25, 29 and Su-27,30 etc
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Kersi saar, here you go...

rsharma ji, there was a whole discussion about VTOL aircraft earlier in the thread if you are interested.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

shiv wrote:Tubes with wings. Can anyone recall any others?
Republic F-84 Thunderjet

First fighter to utilize in-flight refueling.

Its swept wing brother the F-84F Thunderstreak.

Another larger image
http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mo/county/s ... /f-84f.jpg

Su-17

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Post WW 2 combat aircraft with engines carried on wings. I've probably left out a few. Please add..

Douglas Skywarrior A-3

S-3 Viking

Illyushin IL-28

Yakovlev Yak-25 "Flashlight"

Yak-28

English Electric Canberra

Martin B-57 (American version of Canberra used by Paquistaaan)

B-47

B-52

B-58 (Hustler)
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

^^Ilyushin Il-28

Tu-16 "Badger"

Shiv ji, thanks a million for starting this thread.
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

A jalebi to the one who can tell me how MiG-25 is similar to Vigilante?

Cheers....
shiv
BRF Oldie

Aircraft with intakes under the nose

Post by shiv »

Aircraft with intakes under the nose

F-8 Crusader

A-7 Corsair

Fiat G 91

Eurofighter

F-16

IAI Lavi

J-10 (China)
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

The Mitsubishi F2

Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Rahul sir, the link that you gave me is not working... :cry:.. Could someone help me with an alternate link...
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

A noob and OT koshchun. What is that red thing in the air intakes of parked aircrafts? Seen it a lot
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

atreya wrote:A noob and OT koshchun. What is that red thing in the air intakes of parked aircrafts? Seen it a lot
AFAIK it is what it looks like. A cover to prevent 'foreign bodies' from entering.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

atreya wrote:A noob and OT koshchun. What is that red thing in the air intakes of parked aircrafts? Seen it a lot
Its used to close the air intakes when the aircrafts are parked... to prevent any damage to the engine from various sources...
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

neerajb wrote:A jalebi to the one who can tell me how MiG-25 is similar to Vigilante?

Cheers....
Air intakes and all moving tail-plane. The A-5 was the first US production aircraft to have variable geometry intakes. The Mig-25 also had them. Not sure if it was the first Soviet aircraft to do so.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

The only difference I can spot in the Mitsubishi F2 and the F-16 is the canopy. Which then makes it hard to distinguish from the Lavi. Help!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

atreya wrote:The only difference I can spot in the Mitsubishi F2 and the F-16 is the canopy. Which then makes it hard to distinguish from the Lavi. Help!
The Lavi has canards.

The F2 and F-16 are almost the same - teh F2 was derived from the F 16

the following Wiki illustrates the differences

Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

atreya wrote:The only difference I can spot in the Mitsubishi F2 and the F-16 is the canopy. Which then makes it hard to distinguish from the Lavi. Help!
Shiv has addressed the doubt. The Lavi is actually more similar in configuration to the J-10. (or vice versa)