Newsflash: Kaveri engine successfully test flown!

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Re: Newsflash: Kaveri engine successfully test flown!

Post by Hari Seldon »

Jai ho. Hajaar happy only. East or west, desi is best.

/CT-ish but timing of the leak's interesting only....bang on the eve of the official visit of an officious, pushy bunch landing in from DC to sell, well, planes despite tech sanctions, end-use controls and freebies aplenty to our sworn foes. Hah, take that you pushies!
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

WOW!! great news - dil khush!!

out to buy a lungi & enrolling for a few dance lessons to celebrate in a manner befitting the occasion
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

its happy Diwali for all of us

great news :)
Christopher Sidor
BRFite

Post by Christopher Sidor »

Wonderfull news. God send. We can now proceed to the next logical step, MCA and LCA Mk-II. Congrats to the folks at GTRE.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

chackojoseph wrote:
Pratyush wrote:Well let me ask the first serious question on this thread.

How many more hours of flight testing will it need before it is certified for regular operations.
Once it finishes the IL-76 test (30 - 100 hours or so, depending upon the results), then it can be integrated into Tejas models. But, it has not undergone those many hours. Thats why folks are mum.
True.

It ran for two hours but performed well within the parameters set for the test flight. This seemed to have cheered the team a lot. There is a lot more testing to do but I am sure hurdles will be overcome.

One thing is certain - an engine will not go up for a flight test unless it has already been tested for many hours on the ground. Obviously that engine has run and provided thrust for that period on the ground. The problem would surely have been whether it can perform the same trick attached to an aircraft flying high up presumably and one or more test altitudes and attitudes or profiles. Seems to have started doing that. Imagine how the makers of the first jet engines must have felt. I am sure they too faced reliability, thrust and other issues.
ShivaS
BRFite

Post by ShivaS »

See the threat of me designing a aircraft made Kaveri take to flight. But I will not relent I will continue to design BRF aircraft..
CONGRATULATIONS, The prices of F-18. F-16, Mirage 2000 will take a nose dive (I hope).

I want to do Lungi dance but I have to watch a tamil movie to make the moves,....
Jai Kaveri jai ho....
ShivaS
BRFite

Post by ShivaS »

Now I am going to be paranoid. Security to the process, design and in the shop has to be upped.
I dont want any arms dealer agents to finger this valuable posession.
ajit_tr
BRFite

Post by ajit_tr »

The photo above shows the Il-76 test bed with the Kaveri K9 turbofan at the Gromov Flight Research Institute on Wednesday. Just received the following statement from DRDO (in full):
The indigenously designed and developed Kaveri Engine was successfully flight tested by DRDO yesterday during the Flying Test Bed (FTB) Trials at Gromov Flight Research Institute (GFRI), Moscow, Russia. The engine was tested from take-off to landing and flew for a period of over one hour up to at an altitude of 6000m at a speed of 0.6 mach on its maiden flight. The engine control, engine performance and engine health during the flight were found to be excellent. With this test, Kaveri Engine has completed a major milestone of the development program. During the coming months further 50-60 test flights will be carried out to mature the engine in terms of reliability, safety and airworthiness. These trials would pave the way for further flight trials of Kaveri engine with a fighter aircraft.

An existing Il-76 aircraft was modified as a Flying Test Bed for this trial, with Kaveri engine replacing one of the four engines of the aircraft. The modifications included instrumentation required for trials as well as integration of mechanical, electrical and fuel system. The engine was controlled by the pilot from the cockpit. A number of taxi trials were carried out with Kaveri Engine integrated with the aircraft, before this maiden flight. The engine data was recorded in the aircraft as well as transmitted to ground station by telemetry.

A team of 20 scientists from Gas Turbine Research Establishment, DRDO, have been working along with GFRI for these trials. Dr Prahlada, Chief Controller, R&D (Aeronautics & Services Interaction) briefed the Media about the significance of the first flight.

Kaveri engine is being developed for fighter aircraft at India's Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE), a DRDO laboratory based in Bangalore with the active support of several other DRDO labs, academic institutions and industry partners. During the development phase, Kaveri engine has successfully completed various stages of development including component testing, safety tests, ground based engine tests, endurance tests etc, both at GTRE as well as test facilities abroad.
http://www.livefist.blogspot.com/
Raja Ram
BRFite

Post by Raja Ram »

Shiv,

Great way to herald in the Deepavali - The long darkness being dispelled by a ray of light, if not a shower.

The nation owes gratitude to the people and team behind this, they have endured a lot to see this day. Congratulations!

This is indeed a red letter day for Indian aviation. Just as Mother Kaveri, gifts her children with abundance (hence called Ponni, in Tamil) and produce amongst them a Ponniyin Selvan, or the son of Ponni, one of the names of the great Raja Raja, let this engine power many more Ponniyin Selvans, in terms of Fighter Aircrafts!

Of course it is a significant milestone, but the journey is still a long one. May the team continue to march, this time with a lot more confidence and perhaps a lot less carping criticisms from uninformed disbelievers! Truly India's time has come and this is just another manifestation.

Jai Hind!
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Indian Kaveri Engine maiden flight test successful in flying test bed trials

it flew one hour, take off to land and at altitude of 6000m at a speed of 0.6 mach.

BTW 50-60 test could be 50 hrs to 100 hrs. tests will get increasingly longer as they gain more confidence.
Last edited by chackojoseph on 04 Nov 2010 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyJ
BRFite

Post by JimmyJ »

Zee News: Kaveri engine flight testing successful

India's indigenous aircraft engine, Kaveri, was successfully flight tested at Gromov Flight Research Institute in Moscow, the DRDO said on Wednesday.

The test was conducted at the Flying Test Bed at Gromov, with the engine running right from the take-off to landing, flying for a period of over 1 hour up to an altitude of 6,000 metres yesterday, it said in a press release here.
"The engine control, performance and health during the flight were found to be excellent. With this test, Kaveri engine has completed a major milestone of development programme," it added

During the coming months, further 50 or 60 test flights would be carried out to mature the engine in terms of reliability, safety and airworthiness, it said.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Any news on the Thrust Rating of Kaveri K9 that was tested ?
Avarachan
BRFite

Post by Avarachan »

JAI HIND! GTRE/DRDO ZINDABAD!

What wonderful news! The timing, truly, is providential. My heartiest congratulations to everyone involved!
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Congratulations to GTRE. Kaveri forms a significant part of the indigenous Aerospace industry road map. 50 - 60 tests could be at least 6 months if not a year (guessing).

There is no substitute for dogged, determined perseverance.
gnair
BRFite -Trainee

Post by gnair »

Imagine ! has anyone ever thought of platforms other than the obvious LCA, the future Kaveri versions will power. With tinkering and evolution think UCAV's, LRCM's, Heavy turbo-prop versions, Hovercraft platforms, OPV's, turbo shaft power for future large payload helicopter platforms. Just unbelievable potential without outside dependency.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

ShivaS wrote:See the threat of me designing a aircraft made Kaveri take to flight. But I will not relent I will continue to design BRF aircraft..
Please have a heart for the poor souls at Boeing, LM, Dassault, Eurfighter, Mig, SU, etc. These people too have to earn a living, unkle bhi baal bache hai. :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :((

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Narad
BRFite

Post by Narad »

Marvellous achievement!!

My Dil goes balle-balle :D :D :D

Does it incorporate the crystal blade technology?
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

wait, I'll show you folks something else. Wait for few minutes. Under process.

Forgot to add, its the same pic above, just that DRDO marked Kaveri Engine here kind of thing.
Last edited by chackojoseph on 04 Nov 2010 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

The nicest thing to read was that it performed well from takeoff to landing - from zerrow speed to herrow speed of 0.6 mach and from zerrow altitude to 20,000 feet.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Awesome news. An opt Deepavali gift to the nation.

Congratulations DRDO and GTRE and all other partners!!!
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Sorry, the formating went, So I re-did it. its for the folks who don't understand where the Kaveri Engine is. I regret for my enthusiasm.

Here, kaveri Engine Location click if you want to enlarge.
Sidhant
BRFite

Post by Sidhant »

Oh balle balle shava shava.... Right at Diwali time our very own desi engine made its successful maiden flight..... Extra milthai khani aur khilani padegi :D Happy Diwali to all the rakshaks out there.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

shiv wrote: True.

It ran for two hours but performed well within the parameters set for the test flight. This seemed to have cheered the team a lot. There is a lot more testing to do but I am sure hurdles will be overcome.

One thing is certain - an engine will not go up for a flight test unless it has already been tested for many hours on the ground. Obviously that engine has run and provided thrust for that period on the ground. The problem would surely have been whether it can perform the same trick attached to an aircraft flying high up presumably and one or more test altitudes and attitudes or profiles. Seems to have started doing that. Imagine how the makers of the first jet engines must have felt. I am sure they too faced reliability, thrust and other issues.
You know, back in 2007, they told me that they can fix the engine and fly it, but, they are doing the tests for confidence. I told them, no need, they can integrate it and I will fly if other don't have confidence.

So, a senior gent (very) jumped up and said , why will you fly it? We have more competent people to do it. If they don't, the I will do it :rotfl:

Anyway, I just wanted to share the confidence they had then.

(Pls don't ask for names)
Last edited by chackojoseph on 04 Nov 2010 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Keep the good work. Happy Depavali
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

ImageImageImage
BijuShet
BRFite

Post by BijuShet »

Our gratitude and thanks to GTRE, DRDO and all those involved in making this day come true!!!

A newbie question to gurus. The IL-76 test platform has 4 engines on the picture Chakosaar put up. I assume only one of the 4 is our Kaveri. At some point in future after more testing and confidence Will they power that IL-74 with 4 Kaveri engines? Or is it that an unnecessary test?
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

BijuShet wrote:Our gratitude and thanks to GTRE, DRDO and all those involved in making this day come true!!!

A newbie question to gurus. The IL-76 test platform has 4 engines on the picture Chakosaar put up. I assume only one of the 4 is our Kaveri. At some point in future after more testing and confidence Will they power that IL-74 with 4 Kaveri engines? Or is it that an unnecessary test?
No they don't have to. These tests give you exact information on how the engine will perform.

===================

"If" Kaveri goes through this successfully, then she will be integrated into PV-1 for almost 150 hrs of test flight.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

The IL76 test bed can test the top speed of Kaveri only to the extent that is permissible by the other 3 engines. How would the full envelope of Kaveri be tested for the top speed of Mach 1.8 ?
I know it is too early for Mach 1.8, but heck it Diwali time so i want all the sweets all at once. :)
Last edited by Vipul on 04 Nov 2010 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Interesting 0.6 mach at 6000 meters is pretty close to the upper limit of IL-76's maximum speed, now now we need some RAA agint to sneak in and fly that IL-76 rig to Bangalore. Ramenskoe is not the kind of place our scientists want to be during this time of the year. :mrgreen:
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Vipul wrote:The IL76 test bed can test the top speed of Kaveri only to the extent that is permissible by the the other 3 engines. How would the full envelope of Kaveri be tested for the top speed of Mach 1.8 ?
Very interesting question. Even PV-1 won't be able to open it to 1.8 mach. So it should logically get into a LSP. Hmm.... Unless if they are doing something to PV-1 and bring it to LSP standards in terms of FBW.

IMHO, it should be going into PV-3, but, PV-3 is crucial for IOC.
Last edited by chackojoseph on 04 Nov 2010 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ For that to happen we need more than one prototype of the K9 and a high altitude test rig like the folks in Gromov.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Cant they reduce the thrust of 2-3 engines on IL-76 and test the Kaveri in full re-heat or just shut off one engine on IL-76 and then test Kaveri ?

Since this is a 4 engine aircraft with higher margin of safety there must be many ways to skin the cat ?
Last edited by Austin on 04 Nov 2010 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
narmad
BRFite

Post by narmad »

chackojoseph wrote:"If" Kaveri goes through this successfully, then she will be integrated into PV-1 for almost 150 hrs of test flight.
Wouldn't it be Safer to Test it on a Twin Engine Platform ?
The complexity of using a Kaveri on SU-30 or Mig-29 test bed would be phenomenal.
But then we do have time on our side i suppose.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Another question I would ask is the thrust rating of Kaveri under test , if the IAF find the GE-404-IN20 low on thrust for Tejas Mk1 then Kaveri has to be atleast equal in thrust to Mk1 for it to power Mk1 types , if Mk1 is limited to just 40 Aircraft ( plus test platforms ) as seems to be the case and Mk2 is to be powered by 95 kn GE engine then they will have to increase the thrust , as per FORCE interview with GTRE the Snecma venture is suppose to achieve the latter goals.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

JE HUI NA BAAT ... Time for ROSSOGOLLAS for me.

Get the tests done on the IL-76 and put that thing into LSP6/PV-3.

MCA, AURA your time have come :)

Now a good turboprop please. Aaj din hai sab mangne ka :)

P.S. The LCA wont see the Kaveri engine in it's belly. The Kaveri engine will be certified and refined in a couple of years. Perfectly suited for the AURA/MCA. I am sure a jet version of RUSTOM will also be on the cards soon.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

narmad wrote:
chackojoseph wrote:"If" Kaveri goes through this successfully, then she will be integrated into PV-1 for almost 150 hrs of test flight.
Wouldn't it be Safer to Test it on a Twin Engine Platform ?
The complexity of using a Kaveri on SU-30 or Mig-29 test bed would be phenomenal.
But then we do have time on our side i suppose.
You are correct. It should be tested in a twin engine platform. But, till date I have not heard they will do it. I am only telling what I know "till now."

----

To tell you a fact, this IL-76 tests I heard somewhere in 2009. It wasn't scheduled probably.

A lot of us do not appreciate the project in a manner. They are learning hands on, from University of Hard knocks. so, we need to give them time to figure stuff out. Getting kaveri to fly the first hour has a lot more drama behind for past 20 years or so.
Hariprasad
BRFite

Post by Hariprasad »

Congratulations! GTRE :)
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Austin wrote:Another question I would ask is the thrust rating of Kaveri under test , if the IAF find the GE-404-IN20 low on thrust for Tejas Mk1 then Kaveri has to be atleast equal in thrust to Mk1 for it to power Mk1 types , if Mk1 is limited to just 40 Aircraft ( plus test platforms ) as seems to be the case and Mk2 is to be powered by 95 kn GE engine then they will have to increase the thrust , as per FORCE interview with GTRE the Snecma venture is suppose to achieve the latter goals.
Officially, Kaveri has already been decoupled from Tejas program. The Kaveri version that has been tested is K9 and this will not be used in LCA. However, its potential applications are obviously numerous.

The next step will be to develop K10 with the help of SCEMA. If that is ready in time, then there is a chance that K10 will be used in MK2.
Arunkumar
BRFite

Post by Arunkumar »

Thank you GTRE for this wonderful Diwali gift.!!