LCA News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
keshavchandra
BRFite

Re: LCA News and Discussions

Post by keshavchandra »

@ Andy B..
Thanks dear, love to see the beauty. I have been seeing it seven times till now.
Very clean take-off.
Relatively shorter take-off.(As in the video)
More confident flight.

K
member_22605
BRFite

Post by member_22605 »

The LSP-7 and the other unpainted A/C be it composite skin or otherwise are all given a primer coat(Zinc Chromate basically because of its corrosive resistance on metallic parts and for paint adhesiveness on all other parts). The black or dark parts you see are also composites but they have nothing to do with carbon, glass or kevlar. Its just that they are painted directly(No primer) and different composites even if of the same material are very different depending on their matrix and resin and also the type of material used causes great differences, even if they are the same material, for example for a carbon composite material there are about 5 to 6 different known compositions of carbon and each of them has a different property in tension and compression(less in compression primarily because people usually don't use composites where the predominant load is compressive ). Hence you can never make out anything just by the pictures.
Cheers!
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Please watch very carefully starting 3:50, the pilot BIST for engine is done at 3:57 you can hear the crank and then the engine comes to life. Inshallah LCA yengine sounds like our leyland in LSP7 :))
Last edited by suryag on 13 Mar 2012 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Raghu,

HAL seems to be moving from the yellow primer to a greenish primer. Any reasons? Please share if only if you can.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Suweeet .. No fuss, no affsars throwing weight around, no scientist babu types in the video like in the earlier ones, just a whole load of assembly line/foreman/worker types piled on to that tractor towing the LCA out , including a woman in the front seat (my word, that plane is indeed small, fits the small road, nay lane out of the workshop very easily), chatting in Kannada, and of course in the hallowed traditions of Indian babugiri, singing papers in 3 places before take off, whistles and cheers from the folks who got the plane out as it begins the take off roll (must have felt immense pride in their creation flying)..

All in all, the ambience for this was like a regular plane rolling off the assembly line for first flight. No ribbons shibbons and Air/Chair Marshal /Scientist Jarnails and Mantri/Babus around. :lol:

That said, the plane looks pretty tight , neat and polished now. Mark my words. This is going to be one helluva machine in service,especially Mk2. Just what the doctor ordered for India.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ Just looove the SDRE-ness of the entire video...

The 3.5 Gen fighter with a large garland and multiple tikas all around and chappal-wearing SDREs moving around and chatting among themselves as if it is another day at work with nothing special happening ( also love the BMTC bus style "hold-on" and whistling to stop the tow tractor on the runway).. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
member_22605
BRFite

Post by member_22605 »

^ its in our blood. Even if we make an F-22 equivalent(or maybe even better Insha allah), the SDREness will always be there :P
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

raghuk garu one q, how are first flight TPs chosen ? is it lottery ? I mean all are capable then who gets to put his name into history how is it decided. Pilot is also like us :)
keshavchandra
BRFite

Post by keshavchandra »

In the video, It was not seems like any shocking or same thing happening there first time especially for the ground staff, infect to me they all were seems like government school kids, displaying some science project or some thing. :lol:
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

Air brakes were not deployed when landing !!!
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

only one complain about the SDREness

I do nto like them crowding the tractor - defintely were obstructing the rear vision.

A little off course and it would have clanged into something and damaged it.

but thats me - the wet blanket :)
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Thanks for the video Andy!

The take off roll looks pretty short. Is this the first one to have the maiden flight without any AAMs too? Pretty cool video. Wish they had coverage after the pilot got down, would have been nice to hear his first impressions! :D
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

THANKS! Andy!!!
by Suraj
Please watch very carefully starting 3:50, the pilot BIST for engine is done at 3:57 you can hear the crank and then the engine comes to life.
I am not sure but that sounds like a Tow Tractor.

I think the engine starts around 4:30
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

yeah the take off seemed to leap right off

Not quite the mig 23 UB but neat
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Bajwa ji yes it is a tractor i think i was being funny :rotfl: but guess couldnt get it through
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

nice video.. sudh sdre crowd whistling and enjoying.. and what a moment with no babugiris around! thalia!

I like the tractor-ish crowd.. yeah, not a tractor, but they made it appear one. This is the real pisskology shiv was talking about.. where, people expect a raptor crowd for raptorish plane.

awesome! keep up the good work.. jingoes fi allowed will bhajoa another chiti.. common let us all do a three chities for the rustic technical crowd.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

SaiK saar,

I am beginning to see the real India, just like Shiv saar was pointing out :). I wish I was there in my lungi and morning kaapi (coffee in Kerala). I would have happily done a lungi dance!

Truly an amazing amazing video. Loved it!
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Same guy who uploaded the LSP-7 had uploaded a PV2 video too. I hadn't see it before. For those who haven't seen this before, here it is

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

carbon composite can be painted to any color you want. chevy corvettes, lamborghinis and BMWs have exotic colors on them, that are made with aerospace CC-composite materials.

so painting yellow doesn't make it less composite unless we are talking about metalic paints that increases RCS.

I am all for high permeating kevlar bodies, with internal reducing RCS deflectors. It can beat the raptor to hell.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

putnanja wrote:Same guy who uploaded the LSP-7 had uploaded a PV2 video too. I hadn't see it before. For those who haven't seen this before, here it is
Hmm - So that is what the 4th and 5th fairway of KGA look like to an LCA landing. Did you see me waving from below? i didn't either. :oops:
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

LSP-7 Photos And Video from ADA website

ADA LSP-7 Photo Gallery

ADA Tejas - LSP7 Video (87.7 MB)
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

disappointing photos......
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

What ? No young Moojahid with Fotu Shaap or appropriate image manipulation software skills who can superimpose the top view of TD outline on the PV/LSP ? .. re my previous post on this. :roll:
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Shiv,you weren't on the course artful dodger,but were waving from the "19th hole',beer mug in hand!
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Flight test update

LCA-Tejas has completed 1798 Test Flights successfully. (13-Mar-2012).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-215,PV3-334,LSP1-70,LSP2-200,PV5-36,LSP3-46,LSP4-46,LSP5-70,LSP7-1)

from

LCA-Tejas has completed 1796 Test Flights successfully. (12-Mar-2012).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-215,PV3-334,LSP1-69,LSP2-200,PV5-36,LSP3-46,LSP4-46,LSP5-69,LSP7-1)
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

Kakarat wrote:LSP-7 Photos And Video from ADA website
Nice.
I have some doubts though.
1. What is that box type thing behind the pilots seat?
2. The flaps seem rather big. And they touch the pylons. Is this Ok?(Should be)
3. What is the helmet in the Video? TopSight?
4. Why is the plane Yellow? Default Color of the composites?

My favorite parts in the vid are the ppl sitting on the towing vehicle... and the flower garland...
Very Indian... :D
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Looooved the garland, the cheers and the whistling :-)

SDREs will be SDREs (thank all the 33 crore gods and goddesses for that).
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

The only thing that was missing was the pilot praying like we do when going for a raid in kabaddi
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

koti wrote:
Nice.
I have some doubts though.
1. What is that box type thing behind the pilots seat?
2. The flaps seem rather big. And they touch the pylons. Is this Ok?(Should be)
3. What is the helmet in the Video? TopSight?
4. Why is the plane Yellow? Default Color of the composites?

My favorite parts in the vid are the ppl sitting on the towing vehicle... and the flower garland...
1. Not sure but could be some avionics or OBOGS
2. The flaps don't touch the pylons- look at the video carefully, there is a small gap. the design is done after taking into account the separation required from the pylon when the flap is fully deflected down.
3. Elbit DASH
4. Primer applied on the composite skin panels.
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

Indian Air Force has initiated process of inducting 'Tejas': Defence Ministry
NEW DELHI: The Indian Air Force has initiated the process of inducting Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) 'Tejas' and has placed an order for 40 aircraft with the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), Defence Ministry told the Rajya Sabha today.

In written reply to a question on development of LCA, Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju said, "Action for induction of Tejas into IAF has been initiated. IAF has placed orders for 40 aircraft on HAL... Initial Operational Clearance-1 (IOC-1) for the aircraft was achieved in January, 2011."

On development plans for advance version of the aircraft, Raju said, "Tejas Mark-II aircraft is under development with an alternate higher powered engine with considerable improvements. Final cost assessment will be available only after the development phase of Mark-II is completed."

On cost assessment of Tejas Mark-I, he said the scope for its cost reduction has been examined and the same is assessed as not feasible in view of limited quantities.

Rs 11845.20 crore has been sanctioned by the government to Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) for development of Tejas, and so far a total expenditure of Rs 5051.46 crore has been incurred.

IAF plans to induct six LCA squadrons by the end of the 13th Plan.
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

link
DEVELOPMENT OF TEJAS LCA

The Initial Operational Clearance-1 (IOC-1) for the Tejas Light Combat Aircraft has been achieve on 10th January, 2011. Presently, LCA development activities leading to final operational clearance are in progress. Action for induction of Tejas into IAF has been initiated. IAF has placed orders for 40 aircraft with HAL.

Tejas Mark-I is planned at present for 40 aircraft only. Tejas Mark-II aircraft is under development with an alternate higher powered engine with considerable improvements. Final cost assessment will be available only after the development phase of Mark II is completed. Scope for cost reduction of Tejas Mk-I has been examined and the same is assessed as not feasible in view of limited quantities.

Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) is the nodal organization for the development of Tejas.

Rs.11845.20 Crores have been sanctioned by the government of India to ADA for the development of Tejas till date and the total expenditure incurred so far is Rs.5051.46 Crores.

IAF plans to induct six LCA squadrons by the end of the 13th Plan.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

The link for original source: link
The press release: link
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

koti wrote:My favorite parts in the vid are the ppl sitting on the towing vehicle... and the flower garland...
that reminded me of people jumping over bullock cart as it moves in slow gait.

from two wheelers to ships, aircraft as well as missiles and rockets, we won't start without doing 'Puja' before the first ride. Did i miss the lemons under the wheels? :D
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

we should reason out why we don't want to see the "Indian-ness" in these events? If we can answer that, then we should accept with glee.

the nimbu curshing part would have been done when it took off the hangar.

--

At 3:35ish the person wearing Tejas shirt, says: LCA PG. what is PG?
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

ADA LSP-7 Photo Gallery

Kinda reminds me of an old movie where the guy checks out his new lambretta scooter hitting at the bonnet and kicking the tyres before finally sitting on it .. :D
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

nothing better than "hands on" check! :wink: . of course, rest is all visible for him on the instrumentation panel, including the tyre pressure. right?
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

LSP-7 pics on tarmak

Do i see 2 Rambhas sun-bathing in the Bengaluru sun ( in the pic where LSP-7 is landing with brake chutes deployed)?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

^my virus filter is blocking tarmak!
SidSom
BRFite

Post by SidSom »

Apart From eveything else....... Brilliant to see the "Balti" of Water being splashed all around.....What a wonderful photo
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

best part was signing the paper forms in triplicate on the spot.