LCA News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Re: LCA News and Discussions

Post by Indranil »

sum wrote:LSP-7 pics on tarmak

Do i see 2 Rambhas sun-bathing in the Bengaluru sun ( in the pic where LSP-7 is landing with brake chutes deployed)?
Yes, noticed it in the video itself 8)

Anyways noticed two things in this pic (click for larger size):
1. The modified inlet to the APU is not a NACA duct but just a rectangular hole :-).

2. Something new on LSP 7. Has come up on both sides of the cockpit. What is that metallic L shaped thing were the windshield starts ... one with the big screw-head in the middle just over the watermark?
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

SaiK wrote:nothing better than "hands on" check! :wink: . of course, rest is all visible for him on the instrumentation panel, including the tyre pressure. right?
The pilot is REQUIRED to walk around and do a check AFAIK.

He really loves that bird. The affection is visible.
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

At 02:59-03:09, we see a rectangular projection coming out under the rear side of the wing and under it. Its present on both the sides. What is it?
Also, we have APU intakes; where is APU exhaust?

Also we have two exhaust kind of outlets at the root of the vertical stabilizer. What are these?
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

pre flight checks, it is mandatory for pilots to do a walk around and test control surfaces for free movement, check inlets and outlets for obstructions and foreign objects -make sure for himself that there is nothing dangerous lurking around like oily rags or spanners/screwdrivers left behind somewhere
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

A great interview of Dr.Kota Harinarayana. India will be forever indebted to this great son. My paadabhivandanam to him

http://tejas.gov.in/featured_articles/d ... age01.html
We developed a concept called Vortex plate. We didn’t know at that time that we were the first in the world to develop something like this. NASA developed a similar concept only six years later.
What is this vortex plate thingie ?
pralay
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by pralay »

suryag wrote:A great interview of Dr.Kota Harinarayana. India will be forever indebted to this great son. My paadabhivandanam to him
http://tejas.gov.in/featured_articles/d ... age01.html
One was to work on the control laws. We tested on a modified F16 aircraft in USA. One of the comments of the test pilot from the Pentagon was that the F16 flies better with LCA control laws.
wow, I didn't know this.
I knew only that the team was forced to leave US without data.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

^^ read AM Rajkumar's book. must read for a jingo.

about the vid : 16-17 sec T/O run. any estimate for distance ?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

F16s would have been already modified with an adaptive learning process khan does..i.e, no intellectual property right violations, but it is all about confiscation. by that any intel can be learned from a test jig.

so, it may be assumed now f16 flies with lca control laws, post pokhran-2. well, laugh at it if want to.
--

on the t/o distance, it would be better to judge from some one who can take a peep at HAL airport, and guesstimate. Else, we need some super duper math guys, here. variable speed rate for 16 secs at t/o speed say 200kmph.

--

1. so, what is that heavily riveted "L" shaped with big screw-head mark beneath the canopy [re:indranil]?

2.do we need that many LRU panels? can't it all be one big side shaped panel, and reduced rivet? [context: only a skin question]

3. thinking ahead: any way to avoid rivets by insertion panel, where the join panel is perpendicular to the skin, and can be anything from nut and bolts to rivet and can't be seen from outside.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

SaiK wrote: on the t/o distance, it would be better to judge from some one who can take a peep at HAL airport, and guesstimate. Else, we need some super duper math guys, here. variable speed rate for 16 secs at t/o speed say 200kmph.
As per an earlier report nosewheel lift off was at 240 kmph. IIRC

That translates to 66 meters per sec in 15 sec, acceleration of 4.4 mpsec squared for a take off run of 500 meters.

Its the landing run that is long and perhaps the AoA opening up will aid a higher AoA and lower landing speed.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/news ... wsid=17378
“IAF plans to induct six LCA squadrons by the end of the 13th Plan,” minister of state for defence M M Pallam Raju said in the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

i think nasa operates an f16 control law test bed, which can be reprogrammed with different control laws for experimental purposes. i guess something like this was used
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Flight test update
LCA-Tejas has completed 1800 Test Flights successfully. (14-Mar-2012).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-216,PV3-334,LSP1-70,LSP2-201,PV5-36,LSP3-46,LSP4-46,LSP5-70,LSP7-1)

LCA-Tejas has completed 1798 Test Flights successfully. (13-Mar-2012).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-215,PV3-334,LSP1-70,LSP2-200,PV5-36,LSP3-46,LSP4-46,LSP5-70,LSP7-1)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

again, just sharing what I experienced. /OT:
The deccan herald link was considered a threat by my web filter /symantec.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

1. so, what is that heavily riveted "L" shaped with big screw-head mark beneath the canopy [re:indranil]?

2.do we need that many LRU panels? can't it all be one big side shaped panel, and reduced rivet? [context: only a skin question]

3. thinking ahead: any way to avoid rivets by insertion panel, where the join panel is perpendicular to the skin, and can be anything from nut and bolts to rivet and can't be seen from outside.
This L shape location is most ideal for mid-air refueling probe.

Maybe they left the location open and easily accessible for future add-on of refueling probe.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

nice! it makes sense.
member_20163
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_20163 »

Even i thought so. i was just observing the IFR probes on the Mig29Upg. They seem retractable ones. Tejas IFR probe i guess would be non retractable one like Rafale.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Sid wrote: This L shape location is most ideal for mid-air refueling probe.

Maybe they left the location open and easily accessible for future add-on of refueling probe.

No, that is not the case ... the L shaped thing can be seen on both sides of the cockpit.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

shiv wrote:
SaiK wrote: on the t/o distance, it would be better to judge from some one who can take a peep at HAL airport, and guesstimate. Else, we need some super duper math guys, here. variable speed rate for 16 secs at t/o speed say 200kmph.
As per an earlier report nosewheel lift off was at 240 kmph. IIRC

That translates to 66 meters per sec in 15 sec, acceleration of 4.4 mpsec squared for a take off run of 500 meters.

Its the landing run that is long and perhaps the AoA opening up will aid a higher AoA and lower landing speed.
My guesstimate is just about 750-800 mts based on the runway markings and google earth.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

^^ looking at the big size of screw, in the middle of that plate, there are low changes that it is housing any LRU.

but everything is speculation until any chai wala drops in with some more info.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

We should look at right sizing the mig-29 retractable wala.. that would be awesome!

retraction could be both on the horizontal and vertical plane, perhaps telescopic enough on the hz extension.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--0xvLdXKWZs/T ... 600/l6.jpg

What is the probe that is jutting out?
The riveted plate it sits on, is not in smooth conformity with the neighbouring plates. Looks like panel gaps & quality fit issue
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

AdityaM wrote:http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--0xvLdXKWZs/T ... 600/l6.jpg

The riveted plate it sits on, is not in smooth conformity with the neighbouring plates. Looks like panel gaps & quality fit issue

This one does not have any indication of hidden refuel probe add-on as someone proposed
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

boss, what you are seeing is on pilot's right side, whereas the L plate is on the left.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

AdityaM wrote:http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--0xvLdXKWZs/T ... 600/l6.jpg

That's a Pitot tube
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

raptor cleverly keeps it under the front belly
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

SaiK wrote:boss, what you are seeing is on pilot's right side, whereas the L plate is on the left.
someone said it is on both sides
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

air refueling probe was just a guess. But this location is not far from where it will be in future.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4728/lcacomp4.jpg

andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

AOA Birathers...dont thank me thank the good soul that put that vid up on u tube onlee.

When NP1 flies my wish is to have a collection of drums like the ones we have for Ganapati procession and start them up just the bird starts to taxi! :twisted:

I wanted to ask a question is there a specific reason the pilot is wearing a half g suit here?

I have seen in the past pics of Rambha pilots wearing half g suits as well...saw a docco a few weeks back on Ruskie flanker pilots also doing the same thing regularly with half g suits...dunno if there is any specific reason for this.

Karthik...can i please have your email cheers.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Flight test update

LCA-Tejas has completed 1801 Test Flights successfully. (15-Mar-2012).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-217,PV3-334,LSP1-70,LSP2-201,PV5-36,LSP3-46,LSP4-46,LSP5-70,LSP7-1)

from

LCA-Tejas has completed 1800 Test Flights successfully. (14-Mar-2012).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-216,PV3-334,LSP1-70,LSP2-201,PV5-36,LSP3-46,LSP4-46,LSP5-70,LSP7-1)

Go guys go test more
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Pics of LSP7 on tejas.gov.in - the first one is a keeper

http://gallery.tejas.gov.in/Other/LSP-7 ... &k=MWSwN95
wrdos
BRFite

Post by wrdos »

It is a small bird that reminds me of the IDF fighter developed by Taiwanese in the late 1980s and early 1990s, although a little bit bigger with two small engines. Of course, the IDF shows very clear American influence while the LCA looks more French to me.
suryag wrote:Pics of LSP7 on tejas.gov.in - the first one is a keeper

http://gallery.tejas.gov.in/Other/LSP-7 ... &k=MWSwN95
Last edited by wrdos on 16 Mar 2012 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

The report for LSP-7 says that HUD was also tested and is present in this aircraft. Is the LCA Mark-I going to have a Helmet Mounted Sight for cuing the R-73 or Python-V missiles? Also will be LSP-8 have air to air refueling probe?

Thanks
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

wrdos wrote:It is a small bird that reminds me of the IDF fighter developed by Taiwanese in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the latter a little bit bigger. Of course, the IDF shows very clear American influence while the LCA looks more French to me.
It does look like a French Mirage somewhat in pictures from the side. However, if you look at the wings from the top or bottom angle, the difference in the wing shape from the Mirage is obvious. The LCA has a compound delta wing, whereas a Mirage has a traditional triangle shaped delta wing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_Tejas has a good picture of the LCA banking and the compound delta wing is clearly shown.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mirag ... chnung.png Compare that wing with the wing of a Mirage jet and you can see the difference in wing shapes.

Engine intakes are also completely different shaped, as are the engine itself, avionics, size etc.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

M2k has the moveable shock cone inside inlet for Mach1.8+ flight. also mini canards.

Tejas has Rafale style intake with no supersonic cone so both are restricted to around Mach1.8
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

wrdos wrote:It is a small bird that reminds me of the IDF fighter developed by Taiwanese in the late 1980s and early 1990s, although a little bit bigger with two small engines. Of course, the IDF shows very clear American influence while the LCA looks more French to me.
French!!
Of course, lets see. Frenchmen Here

and More Frenchmen here
wrdos
BRFite

Post by wrdos »

I didn't mean LCA a French bird but it showing some clear influence of Mirage designing concept. Considering the Indian experience with all the generations of French fighters after the WWII, it would be strange to me that LCA got no such influence. There is no offending intention here.
ArmenT wrote:
wrdos wrote:It is a small bird that reminds me of the IDF fighter developed by Taiwanese in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the latter a little bit bigger. Of course, the IDF shows very clear American influence while the LCA looks more French to me.
It does look like a French Mirage somewhat in pictures from the side. However, if you look at the wings from the top or bottom angle, the difference in the wing shape from the Mirage is obvious. The LCA has a compound delta wing, whereas a Mirage has a traditional triangle shaped delta wing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_Tejas has a good picture of the LCA banking and the compound delta wing is clearly shown.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mirag ... chnung.png Compare that wing with the wing of a Mirage jet and you can see the difference in wing shapes.

Engine intakes are also completely different shaped, as are the engine itself, avionics, size etc.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

I think apart from french influence it has more of a British influence
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Vulcan

on second thoughts it has swedish influence see the saab 37 viggen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_37_Viggen

thinking more i think it has russian influence see tu 144 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-144
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

mark me words boys, the PAKDA will be a stealth version of the basic Avro vulcan shape.
member_20617
BRFite

Post by member_20617 »

From Wiki:
The Gripen was a contender for the Indian MRCA competition for 126 multirole combat aircraft.[123] In April 2008, Gripen International offered the Next Generation Gripen for India's tender[124] and opened an office in New Delhi in order to support its efforts in the Indian market.[125] On 4 February 2009, Saab announced that it had partnered with India's Tata Group to develop the new Gripen variant to fit India's needs.[126]

The Indian Air Force (IAF) conducted extensive field trials and evaluated Gripen's flight performance, logistics capability, weapons systems, advanced sensors and weapons firing.[127] In April 2011, the IAF rejected Gripen's bid in favour of Eurofighter Typhoon and Dassault Rafale.[128] Senior Indian Air Force officials while happy with the improved capabilities of Gripen NG, identified its high reliance on US-supplied hardware, including electronics, weaponry, and GE F414 engine as a factor that may hamper its export potential.[129]

Gurus, if GE414 engine was an impeding factor then how come we are buying 100 GE414 engines for Tejas?
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

^^ we are surprised that you are surprised on this info.