Indian Army: Primer

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
ManuT
BRFite

Indian Army: Primer

Post by ManuT »

Starting a new thread different from the IA News and analysis and the Recruitment thread.

To the vast majority the Indian Armed Forces are some kind of 'Sword of God' in the hands of GOI. A lot of BRfites and lurkers are uninitiated to the Armed Forces, from the questions that are asked. Hopefully this will reduce the need to get some basic explanations.

Point is to show a slight glint of the sword. The instrument of war is after all a human. For example:
Capt. Vikram Batra PVC

If you think a slacker can get by, ALL arms now do a 3 year attachment with the infantry.

Forces are team. In a team every player has a position. In war success depends upon playing your position. I hope as you watch these you see yourself fit, if you

possibly fit. For some, the QUESTION is: Will you fit anywhere else?

As a picture says a 1,000 words, I guess, a video will show 100,000.
In the process, I hope it Educates and Inspires. Hopefully, action would follow.

First a small blah blah.
Posting what I came across. No credit to me as I am just a messenger here. All credit to IndiaDefence. Idam Namam (not mine).

1. Peace: to prepare for the eventuality of War.
2. War: to dictate the terms of Peace.

Wars should be started only when you are in position to win them with a minimum of casualties to yourself (and if possible, to the enemy).
A man without a weapon is a not a part of War.

Intro
-----
To deliver the blow, your infantry has to be safely injected into the theatre of battle. Also, in parallel, enemy's Infantry has to be degraded so that it meets your

infantry at a disadvantage.

Hence, archers in the past are used very early in battle to achieve this. To block the arrows the defender have to lift their shield and it is a very unforgiving

distraction. Arty and Air Force are now used to achieve this aim.

Mounted Cavalry is also used to degrade enemy infantry, as shock troops and sow confusion into the ranks of the enemy and protect your infantry.

Once this degradation has been achieved, then your infantry is committed to finish the job. Committed wrongly early or surprised and it leads to disaster.

Some things do not change. Initiative, courage, surprise, leadership, training, descipline, honour.

-----------------
Infantry: The Queen of Battle. The arm that thrusts the dagger into the heart of the enemy and rips it apart.
The next time you see ceremonial honour guard remember, there is nothing ceremonial about the little bayonet at the end of the stick, it is a gentle reminder.
Too many movies, pick whichever you like.

Para Commandos: The misfits who don't fit anywhere else. (bridge too far)

Mechnized Infantry: Match the speed of armour. Armour protects infantry. (In the past both have protected each other)

HAWS: High Altitude Warefare School

CI and CT Role: Though not really a traditional role for the army, but now a part of it.

----------------
Armour: The Knights of Battle. They work closely with the Mech. Inf. Also, another way to look at armour is to think of it as Mobile Arty. Armour has the speed whereas

Arty has the range. Famous battle: Kursk.

T-90

Artillery: The King of Battle. The closest, a system came to combining Arty and Armour was the US's Crusader which did not go into production. Famous battle: Kargil.

Sister Artillery: Air Defence

----------------
Technical Branches

Core of Engineers: Work closely with the infantry as enables for infantry. Long history, since mediveal ages going back to siege warfare. Most famous word uttered

'Banglores' in the opening sequence of Saving private ryan. Role in Pokhran-II.

Role in tunneling warfare of WWI.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13630203

Signals: ALL Communications, including enemy communications.

Elecronics and Mechanical Engineer: All mechanical repairs and recovery.

ASC: Logistics. 'Supply chaining' came out from this arm. In the end these guys deliver the food to the boys in the frontline.

Ordnance: Procurement, supply chaining.

-------------
Army Medical Corps, Dental Corps: Needless to say the Docs and Dentists. Also, Dept of Psych Research (DPR).

Army Avaition Corps: Delivery in Siachen, Medivacs, Observation Posts.

There also JAGS branch for Lawyers.
Army Postal Service for delivering mail which come from volunteers from civilian Postal Service.
Military Farms for anyone interested in playing with 4-tits.

Also, last but not the least: INS Viraat
Prashanth Kumar
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Indian Army: Primer

Post by Prashanth Kumar »

You know.... Some one must compile all these videos into a single feature length video. :) Will Be a good view!!
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army: Primer

Post by Shrinivasan »

A comendable effort Manu, I would like to add many videos and photos to the thread, we can also cross-post from other threads..