Chacko Joseph's Corner

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Re: Chacko Joseph's Corner

Post by chackojoseph »

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Going reverse to move ahead

By Air Cmde Raghubir Singh (Retd)
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Last edited by chackojoseph on 27 Sep 2011 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

chacko:

The Frontier-India website has a weird feature where it disables the right-click on the browser. So a person who is used to using the right click menu to navigate (forward, back), search google etc. gets this useless pop-up (with incorrect grammar) about copyright. It would be OK to disable the Copy button, but to disable the right-click menu is frankly very obtrusive.

I am not sure what purpose this Paki style tactically brilliant idea serves, except create an element of end-user frustration. Anyone who wants to copy can simply cut and paste the source code which is very easily visible or disable javascript to disable the plugin. Also the copyright notice on the bottom of the right panel has an obvious spelling mistake

The offending piece of code is this plugin
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/anti-plagiarism/

Code: Select all

<div class="clear"></div>

<script src="http://frontierindia.net/indiandefence/wp-content/plugins/anti-plagiarism/js.php?m=Sorry+for+any+inconvenience%2C+Please+do+not+violate+our+copyrights." ></script></div> 
Other web sites who want to publicize their site, add a section saying where the content was copied from and the link the actual page. So if you highlight a section and use the Right Click->Copy, what gets copied includes a URL to the original page so when you paste it, the URL also gets pasted along with a note pointing to the source of the content.

And quite frankly, how much plagiarism do you truly expect from the Web-Site? The people who matter are very likely going to get caught, and for those who do not, why care?

I for one do not visit other sections of the Website since I find the inability to navigate using the mouse right-click context menu frustrating enough to spend my time somewhere else. We are creatures of habit and anything which disturbs the routine will reduce user-affinity.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

^^^ Simple reason. To circumvent the anti copyright is same as breaking into someone's house. I got defence.puke out of his hosting for this reason. The other measures were not working unlike your reasoning. If you know the ABC of whats happening in the web plagiarism and know how small and mid websites are frustratingly suffering this menace you wouldn't say so. Do you even know how much time it takes to file a DMCA complaint and then get the articles removed every time and keep monitoring?

For most folks it is easy to pass judgements, offending advt's, offending anti-copyright measures, watermarking..... Do they even know how much money it takes to get news and then getting it copied by someone else?

I am not referring specifically to you, but, in general. I am looking at some sensible people who give real life solutions.

Another thing. The thread is meant for something else. I request everyone to mail me at frontierindia@gmail for such things.
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

1. This thread is dedicated for your website so it is appropriate to discuss these things here.

2. The question of course is not copyright or plagiarism or DMCA. The question is how much it costs you even if the content is pilfered? Any website which has a significant enough following or credibility, will not plagiarize simply because they lose their credibility. Of course if you are going to benchmark against some .pk site, then remember "If you roll with the pigs...".

3. Even more important is the effectiveness of the tools being used. Anyone who is determined to plagiarize can and will be able to reuse the content. All it takes is one more click to open the source code and then cut and paste. The loser who wants to steal can still steal. It is the regular visitor who is inconvenienced.

4. And have you thought about the traffic you lose because people find the website unfriendly? How much time do people who come to your web-site from BR spend visiting other pages of the frontierindia? Your web-site will make money if people stay there longer. Making it unfriendly defeats that purpose. Monetize the traffic you get instead of worrying about some loser who is stealing your content. See last two comments below:
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/how- ... y-amp-save

5. For people who do steal your content, try reporting them to Google etc. They are much more likely to black-list them than some legal notice.

=======

To the post below.

I am not sure how you came up with the 95% number. While some random visitors might end up on those fake sites, the regular visitors will know soon which sites are relevant/credible and which are not.

Popping up that message whenever someone wants to use the context menu is not endearing and will eventually reduce the core group of users which will make or break your business. By disrespecting your serious users you are effectively limiting the attractiveness of your site in terms of monetization. The sites which are considered the most valuable are those which can keep the user engaged for longer. Right now the unfriendliness of the site reduces it stickiness and will hurt your top-line.
Last edited by VikramS on 27 Sep 2011 23:40, edited 4 times in total.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

VikramS,

Nice theory. As I said., you have no understanding how much is lost and the practical problems. Try spending your entire day, spend money / time for collecting news, posting it and let others copy it. You will forget your "loose their credibility" lecture. Boss, on WWW, 99% people get away with it. Try reporting to google and DMCA and see the result. And yes, I have considered the cost benefits. Reporting to google and DMCA also requires many procedures and the anti - copyright measures help in expediting the process. I have perfected them for sometime. The amount of copying from Frontier India has dropped drastically to 95% or more.

The thread is for links to the article and not for other things.
yantra
BRFite

Post by yantra »

Chacko, while I agree that you have the IP and should try every means to prevent plagiarism, there are definitely cleaner ways to enable tabbed browsing and make it less annoying for the users. The right-mouse click on the pages are dis-abled anyway.

In these days of tabbed browsing, it is very annoying if I get a pop-up every time I open a new tab to read an article.

Please understand that we respect and value your work and we would be happy if FrontierIndia and such other media outlets succeeded. It is in that light that VikramS is suggesting improvements so that it becomes even more of a pleasant experience for the user - apart from the access to well-researched/supported content.

It is up to you to respond to "vox populi".
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

You know, Its not that I don't respect VikramS and others idea. The problem is that entire Frontier India has been duplicated in 5 sites, 3/4th Frontier India has been copied in 8 sites, 1/2 is copied...... If you search, they come on the top. Entire article is copied there and I have not seen traffic from them.

If you all haven't already noticed, I have stopped exclusive articles due to this. In addition, how many have thought "hey this is a great article, let me reward them with 1) linking (not copying) it to my facebook or twitter or other group and show it to others so that it benefits the site 2) Click the affiliates and other commercial stuff and help them make money 3) suggest practical ways to improve their bottom line 4) send a voluntary contribution... etc. Do you all know what it will do to help me and scale up my defence news which will help the country?

On the contrary, I find that people criticize the entire gamut of things they see there, violate my copyright (that too Indians do it for paki sites) and when I ask them not to engage in this in BR by mailing me, they don't do it. In a day you read just 1 or 2 articles in Frontier India and come up with only criticisms. Some say opening the links in another tab is not possible, when I have made all links "open in a new window." All you have to do is, instruct your browser via "options" to open links in a new Tab. You know, the criticisms are not valid.

Vox Populi can take a call. if I find there is no interest, I will also scale down as I have already done with the exclusive articles. I really don't want others and me to suffer.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Chacko you should insist that you will answer questions only on email and report any OT posts. You fell for the bait which then became bait and switch. Now its your problem. It need not have been that way.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

^^^ Correct Shiv. I just wanted to be polite.

Ok Hence forth all emails and all OT will be reported.
pralay
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by pralay »

shiv and chako
sorry for OT,
Right now if we disable javascript, content from your site can be copied.

But we can script the site so that it will keep only article summary selectable as text and available for google as well.
rest of the article can be embedded in applet or flash.
That way the functionality will remain the same, and people will not be able to copy at all

I can help with that.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

sameer_shelavale,

Please mail to frontierindia@gmail.com
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

P-8I Aircraft for Indian Navy Completes 1st Flight

Image under Boeing license to approved media
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

sameer_shelavale wrote:shiv and chako
sorry for OT,
Right now if we disable javascript, content from your site can be copied.

But we can script the site so that it will keep only article summary selectable as text and available for google as well.
rest of the article can be embedded in applet or flash.
That way the functionality will remain the same, and people will not be able to copy at all

I can help with that.
Google Books has a way of making the text as a background image. I think that makes it non-selectable.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Last edited by chackojoseph on 05 Oct 2011 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

CJ, Please correct the grammar.

Its "India" not "Indian" in the title. Also you should go back to IUCNA agreement and point out this was allowed for India to expand or build new sites not under safeguards. Also talk to some experts in India on the subject at CPR, New Delhi. Otherwise the article only spreads NPA agit prop.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Chacko

Thanks for all the links in one place. Going forward, start post the links in relevant thread.