Indian Army: News & Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army: News & Discussion

Post by shiv »

Sanku wrote: I am sorry Shiv, you are missing out many more wrongs, why I do not know.

1) Wrong on AKA's part to not have the Army solve the issue in a fair transparent manner after CoAS raised it.
2) Wrong on UPA's part to have Manmohan let loose his attack dogs on Gen Singh.
3) Wrong on UPA's part to have a junior Babu write a letter to AG asking AG to change the date as it saw fit arbitrarily, even when matter was subjudice.
4) Wrong on AKAs part to let the same person offer legal advice on the issue twice.

And also

5) Wrong on SC's part to not go into solving the real issue -- what is the correct date, and instead waffle about wisdom and winds.

You are missing out many points, I am afraid.
None of these things would have been possible without a wrong date in the records. Once that wrong date existed it is everyone's baby to exploit. Was the original UPSC form signed by the teenage VKS?
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

Sri wrote:
Sanku wrote: And also

5) Wrong on SC's part to not go into solving the real issue -- what is the correct date, and instead waffle about wisdom and winds.

sanku Ji, Supreme court did nothing. They just cross examined and did a little dadagiri (who wouldn't when Army Chief and AG are pleading in front of you). What do you think bench should have done? ask the general not take their cross examination at heart and continue fighting. Do you honestly believe that supreme court expected the General to withdraw petition over lunch break? They didn't even ask another date so that they can consult their client....
My take is that the judges had been taken in to confidence before the parties were summoned before the bench.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

How would the Supreme court decide the General's date of birth?
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

By striking down the GoI order date 21 Jul 2011.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

nelson wrote:By striking down the GoI order date 21 Jul 2011.
How would that establish the correct date of birth?
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

Because the DoB of VKS as per the statutory custodians of personal records for all commissioned officers of the Union of India, ie the Adjutant General, is 10 May 1951.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

BTW, i see a lot of reports, posts(including this forum) and articles carrying the years of service rendered by VKS to be 36 or 38. Actually it is 41 years and seven months running. If four years of training in NDA and IMA are included it will be 45 years and seven months running. Please to note.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

And all his appointments until Lt. General list 1951 as the DoY. See the much referenced MS letter. Putting it here again: http://gfilesindia.com/userfiles/img_feb2012_3.gif.
This has been referenced to in many articles.

Who knows if there is a special line of succession or BK Singh is the favoured one! It is however certain that a deliberate wrong has been perpetrated when it could have been easily fixed.

Autin: whatever your opinion you should read the above source.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Sri wrote:
Sanku wrote: And also

sanku Ji, Supreme court did nothing. They just cross examined and did a little dadagiri (who wouldn't when Army Chief and AG are pleading in front of you). What do you think bench should have done? ask the general not take their cross examination at heart and continue fighting. Do you honestly believe that supreme court expected the General to withdraw petition over lunch break? They didn't even ask another date so that they can consult their client....
Sri-ji; I agree that there is merit in your case that perhaps the legal team gave way too soon, and was perhaps inexperienced. However, you also say that the Gen should have not gone in person.

In this situation, it is not easy for a relatively young lawyer to take on the might of entire GoI combined with both AG and SG present and fighting.

Shouldnt SC should have considered these factors that its attempts at "arbitration" instead of solving the matter was amiss --

Why didnt the SC
1) Crack down on the GoI for putting out documents of acceptance? When clearly that has no legal merit?
2) Just admit the petition and be done with it -- and then judge the merit of the case? Why the need to arbitrate at all? If the SC does not, who will?
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

shiv wrote:
Sanku wrote: I am sorry Shiv, you are missing out many more wrongs, why I do not know.

1) Wrong on AKA's part to not have the Army solve the issue in a fair transparent manner after CoAS raised it.
2) Wrong on UPA's part to have Manmohan let loose his attack dogs on Gen Singh.
3) Wrong on UPA's part to have a junior Babu write a letter to AG asking AG to change the date as it saw fit arbitrarily, even when matter was subjudice.
4) Wrong on AKAs part to let the same person offer legal advice on the issue twice.

And also

None of these things would have been possible without a wrong date in the records. Once that wrong date existed it is everyone's baby to exploit. Was the original UPSC form signed by the teenage VKS?
Well if you put it that way -- the original issues were not "wrongs"

The original issues were a "mistake" --

the wrong doing was mischievous use of a mistake (and a mistake not by Gen VK Singh)
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

A transcript of what Gen Shankar Roychowdhury had to say to Karan Thapar's questions.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/army-itself- ... 245-3.html

Yes, things have gone far far ahead, but definitely worth a complete read.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

shiv wrote:Well if true the sad part is that he has been victim of a "confidence trick" within the army emanating from a COAS no less. But if you are tricked you are tricked
Well that true if you are tricked then you are tricked , people have lost all their life income in signing on something , promised verbally something and finally got nothing....atleast for VKS he rose to the top and served the army what else can a young soldier ever dream off when he joins the army , to head it some day may be for 3 months or 3 years a chief is a chief.
JJ Singh is IMO on a strong wicket here but the entire possibility of a succession scam would never have come to light if VKS had chosen to take it lying down.
I really do not know if there is a sucession scam/conspiracy that leads one all the way to become a chief , it may be one odd case but its not an institutionalised one where you know who will be the next 3 chief say from today, there are too many things that can go wrong in the game.

At best what the chief can do is to make sure some of his blue eyed boy ends up being a Lt Gen or a Senior position and place him accordingly or indirectly/directly intervenes to make sure he rises over his normal promotion . I have come across stories in IAF where the big bosses picks talent say in a young Sq Ldr and then hand picks him to make sure he makes it to some of the top position in IAF.... never saw it as scam but a way to hunt talent early on or else it gets bogged down.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

What we have to introspect in this entire saga is why do some of these men, who all start out with the same zeal and inspiration get compromised. Why do we have some turn out like JJ Singh and Deepak Kapoor and some like S. Padmanabhan and VK Singh?

While power corrupts, a weak structure and system infested with termites can turn even solid wood to dust in time.

The iron fence that protects this nation cannot be immune to the termite infected structures of this nation. It is consuming them too.

Added: It is time we get a more democratic system in place with checks and balances in appointments. Neither can we afford a system of seniority, as prevails now or the whims and fancies of the executive alone. Power needs a counter balance, to check excess. While no system is perfect, it is time for the current system to go. This is what I hope is the end result of this saga.

BTW: Austin, The AG is on record that of paramount interest to the government is to protect the succession plan. I guess speculation ends there.
Last edited by ShauryaT on 14 Feb 2012 04:12, edited 1 time in total.
Ajit.C
BRFite

Post by Ajit.C »

Deccan Herald
Lt. Gen. Halgali is new deputy chief of Indian Army
New Delhi, Feb 13, 2012,(IANS)
Lt. Gen. Ramesh Halgali, a whistle-blower in the 2009 70-acre Sukna military station land scam in West Bengal that led to court martial of senior army officers, Monday took over as the deputy chief of army staff.

He will be in charge of information systems and training in the army headquarters, an army release said here.

Commissioned into the Sikh Light Infantry regiment in December 1972, Halgali has attended Defence Services Staff College, National Defence College, a Senior Fellows Course in Washington DC, and is an M.Phil. from DAV Institute of Management, Indore.

The officer has held many important staff and instructional assignments. He commanded an infantry brigade and division in Jammu and Kashmir and a corps in Western sector. Till recently, he was director general of military training.

He was awarded Sena Medal (Gallantry) in 1992 and the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal for distinguished service in 2012.

His name figured among the officers involved in the Sukna military station land scam, as he had served as the chief of staff to Lt. Gen. P.K. Rath at the corps headquarters there. But later, it came to light that he was the whistle-blower and was let off.
Seems all the good ones connected with Sukna Scam are coming together in AHQ.
samsher
BRFite -Trainee

Post by samsher »

Ajit.C wrote:Deccan Herald
Lt. Gen. Halgali is new deputy chief of Indian Army
New Delhi, Feb 13, 2012,(IANS)
Lt. Gen. Ramesh Halgali, a whistle-blower in the 2009 70-acre Sukna military station land scam in West Bengal that led to court martial of senior army officers, Monday took over as the deputy chief of army staff.

He will be in charge of information systems and training in the army headquarters, an army release said here.

Commissioned into the Sikh Light Infantry regiment in December 1972, Halgali has attended Defence Services Staff College, National Defence College, a Senior Fellows Course in Washington DC, and is an M.Phil. from DAV Institute of Management, Indore.

The officer has held many important staff and instructional assignments. He commanded an infantry brigade and division in Jammu and Kashmir and a corps in Western sector. Till recently, he was director general of military training.

He was awarded Sena Medal (Gallantry) in 1992 and the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal for distinguished service in 2012.

His name figured among the officers involved in the Sukna military station land scam, as he had served as the chief of staff to Lt. Gen. P.K. Rath at the corps headquarters there. But later, it came to light that he was the whistle-blower and was let off.
Seems all the good ones connected with Sukna Scam are coming together in AHQ.

The article is somewhat misleading. The first line says "Lt. Gen. Ramesh Halgali, a whistle-blower in the 2009 70-acre Sukna military station land scam ...."
The last line says "His name figured among the officers involved in the Sukna military station land scam.."

so which one is it?

Come on DC !! cant we get simple reporting right!
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

samsher wrote: ...
The last line says "His name figured among the officers involved in the Sukna military station land scam.."

so which one is it?

Very Last line of the article also says
But later, it came to light that he was the whistle-blower and was let off.
-Ankit
samsher
BRFite -Trainee

Post by samsher »

Ankit Desai wrote:
samsher wrote: ...

so which one is it?

Very Last line of the article also says
But later, it came to light that he was the whistle-blower and was let off.
-Ankit
Guess I had 'selective retention'.
My bad
Thanks,
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

nelson wrote:Because the DoB of VKS as per the statutory custodians of personal records for all commissioned officers of the Union of India, ie the Adjutant General, is 10 May 1951.
I accept that. But i want to point out that if any of this sordid business is true and you have a situation where the Supreme Court declared VKS' 1951 date to be valid it opens the way for any of VKS's detractors to call him a liar for having filled up his UPSC form with a wrong date and then accepting that wrong date to get a promotion and claiming falsely that it was under duress. The application form would be difficult to call "duress". If I was against VKS I would jump at the opportunity to smear him that way - it is so obvious and inviting. No one needs to win any cases in a smear campaign - it would force VKS to fight a longer battle for his honor and then a libel battle against his detractors. If you look at it that way it gives one a sense of why the court may not have wanted to take that route. I think the court did the right thing by not raking up this mess.
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

Austin wrote: I really do not know if there is a sucession scam/conspiracy that leads one all the way to become a chief
The Attorney General has already confessed that there is a succession scam going on.
Last edited by Pranav on 14 Feb 2012 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

The advice to VKS to "blow with the wind" is rather unfortunate. Would the honorable judges have been sitting comfortably in Delhi, if the Army consisted of men who "blew with the wind". What message does this send to the soldier on the frontlines, dealing with infiltrators on a daily basis.
Kapil
Webmaster BR

Post by Kapil »

Well fought Blue,Red is the winner.

We can expect the General to do something/give a proper reaction to what has happened after he comes back from the important,bilateral visit to the UK.
Also,the RM is away to KSA as well,so we'll learn more once both come back.

Kapil
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Pranav wrote:The Attorney General has already confessed that there is a succession scam going on.

I hope you understand its government prerogative to appoint who so ever it wishes as the chief , so if there is such plan which is fully backed by government , then i see no problem with it.

There might be some immediate plans on who the government wishes to see as chief be it Bikram or Gosh or some one else , he might be getting groomed for the top job.

What i dont see feasible is the claim there is some long term succession plan , call it "Chief Fixing" involving next 2-3 chief for the IA ....its too difficult to run such script
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

shiv wrote:
nelson wrote:Because the DoB of VKS as per the statutory custodians of personal records for all commissioned officers of the Union of India, ie the Adjutant General, is 10 May 1951.
I accept that. But i want to point out that if any of this sordid business is true and you have a situation where the Supreme Court declared VKS' 1951 date to be valid it opens the way for any of VKS's detractors to call him a liar for having filled up his UPSC form with a wrong date and then accepting that wrong date to get a promotion and claiming falsely that it was under duress. The application form would be difficult to call "duress". If I was against VKS I would jump at the opportunity to smear him that way - it is so obvious and inviting. No one needs to win any cases in a smear campaign - it would force VKS to fight a longer battle for his honor and then a libel battle against his detractors. If you look at it that way it gives one a sense of why the court may not have wanted to take that route. I think the court did the right thing by not raking up this mess.
As per the sequence of events the error was corrected 40+ years back in NDA itself. The NDA, IMA, and promotions till Lt. General recorded 1951 as the date. So one can vilify but it is obvious that it was an error long corrected right at the outset. It was taken advantage of at a later stage. Why did it become important only at this late stage? Obviously it fulfilled some plan or need.

Those who claim that it is govt's prerogative to appoint anyone it prefers should consider that no subterfuge is required in such a case. Govt can do it without all this messing around. But It suited someone to deliberately force the issue in 2006/8. That is the reason for the varied speculation all around. What is that reason if we remove succession plan as a reason (though the AG referenced it)?
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

Austin wrote: What i dont see feasible is the claim there is some long term succession plan , call it "Chief Fixing" involving next 2-3 chief for the IA ....its too difficult to run such script
OK, now that we have a confession that a succession scam is in operation, the only point of debate is how much in advance the fixing happens.

Apparently Bikram Singh was anointed at least 6 years back. People were being fixed as early as in 2005 to clear the path for Bikram Singh.
Maj Gen Ravi Arora (retd), who topped the 1972 batch (the same batch as Lt Gen Bikram Singh) with a gold medal and was doing well, was in February 2005 rejected by the promotion board for promotion from brigadier to major general. Though the normal period for making representations against a promotion board decision is 90 days, a hurried board meeting was held as early as April that year to consider those who had made representations against the previous board decision. Even so, Arora’s representation was kept pending. He lodged a statutory complaint in May that year, and the defence ministry in 2006 gave him full redressal. But he was again rejected by the next promotion board, held in July 2006, along with four officers of the 1972 batch who were being considered.

Curiously, in November 2006, yet another promotion board meeting was held, and even though Arora had not made a representation, he was approved for promotion to major general. But in the process, his seniority was counted down by a year and he was now considered to be with the 1973 batch. As an officer dealing with the matter at that time told Outlook, “Clearly, Arora was approved because, by now, he was not a threat to Bikram Singh, who had been brought into the line of succession.”

http://outlookindia.com/article.aspx?279633
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Pranav wrote:Apparently Bikram Singh was anointed at least 6 years back. People were being fixed as early as in 2005 to clear the path for Bikram Singh.
Well lets say thats the truth then if VKS resigns today then his chances of making to the top job based on just seniority is gone , because AFAIK there are 2 more senior gen in queue before him.

If the Govt still wants Bikram to head the Army then it may choose to appoint him as the chief over ruling seniority which is not unprecedented and completely withing government right , so it boils down to what the government wants and thinks about it today and not how the whole issue was fixed 6 years back.
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

Austin wrote:so it boils down to what the government wants and thinks about it today and not how the whole issue was fixed 6 years back.
True. Unless Bikram Singh has given the extra-constitutional authorities any reason to review the decision made 6 years back, he will get the top job.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Pranav wrote:
Austin wrote:so it boils down to what the government wants and thinks about it today and not how the whole issue was fixed 6 years back.
True. Unless Bikram Singh has given the extra-constitutional authorities any reason to review the decision made 6 years back, he will get the top job.
It is as Govt wants to do is not the right thing to say or consider. Austin you are painting the govt as some 16th century European despot who sent men to be killed and promoted officers based on whose wife was best in the bed with the king.

Just what is OK with such a "Govt decides best what to do, based on a totally unconstitutional mechanism, of whims, vagaries and nefarious interests"

Just how is any of it -- OK?
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

self deleted
Last edited by vic on 15 Feb 2012 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

a) who is custodian of DOB the AG's branch or MS branch?

General Katoch blasted the ex JAG yesterday on Barkhas programme on this issue. JAG was saying its MS branch... u can see the malafide all around? PC Katoch said well mr JAG the less said the better about u.

b) what was the dob with MS branch prior to 2006?

c) who authorised change of date with MS branch?

d) VKS lawyer was on show yesterday and he was quite pathetic fellow. my frnd would have done a better job. he was stumbling while talking and looked totally ineffective.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

There is a good story in India Today current issue on Defence Land Scam " The Big Story: How to Steal Defence Land "
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

vic wrote:Having reasonable experience of practice in Supreme Court (15 years) I can say that decision was going to come against him on the facts pleaded. VK Singh had poor legal advisors. He should have immediately passed a directive to ask his junior officer correct/reconcile his date of birth after taking over as Chief and then let the GoI move court.
I wish it were that easy.
The actual point is that, under the Military Secretary is the person who is Deputy Military Secretary(X), who is responsible for managing all officers in appointments from Maj Gen and above. This is a perennial civilian appointment of Director rank IAS (equivalent to Brig). Even though he is cursorily under MS and therefore under COAS, MS(X) reports directly to Joint Secretary (G/S) in MoD, and takes orders from him. So the existing civil military set up in IHQ of MoD will not allow what you are suggesting. In simple words MS(X) will not obey COAS to comply with the directive you are suggesting.
Secondly after taking decision to move court he should have fought a full battle and if he wanted to make allegations against some unseen forces then he should have done so in his petition rather than fighting it on loosing facts.
I concur with you, as I have always maintained so.
If I am the legal advisor to the Chief, I will tell him to right a confidential letter to GoI stating all facts and recommending against making Bikram Singh Chief. He should pass strictures against Bikram Singh in the ACR and force a show down to prevent him from becoming Chief.
These would have happened, as I said earlier, if his intention was to harm BS. It does not appear so.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Tx Vic,this is exactly what I would've done and wonder why the good general did not do so.
He should have immediately passed a directive to ask his junior officer correct/reconcile his date of birth after taking over as Chief and then let the GoI move court.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

^You did not see my post after that.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

manjgu wrote:a) who is custodian of DOB the AG's branch or MS branch?

General Katoch blasted the ex JAG yesterday on Barkhas programme on this issue. JAG was saying its MS branch... u can see the malafide all around? PC Katoch said well mr JAG the less said the better about u.
Adjutant General in case of all commissioned officers of the Army excluding Army Medical Corps.
b) what was the dob with MS branch prior to 2006?
10 May 1951
c) who authorised change of date with MS branch?
There is no authority. What is there in strength of the change is an 'alleged acceptance' from VKS. The appointments who would have signed a File Noting to effect the change are Deputy Military Secretary (X), Military Secretary, Judge Advocate General, Adjutant General, Chief of Army Staff and probably Joint Secretary (G/S). All persons in the said appointments dating May- Jul 2006.
d) VKS lawyer was on show yesterday and he was quite pathetic fellow. my frnd would have done a better job. he was stumbling while talking and looked totally ineffective.
The person who appeared was Mr Puneet Bali, relatively junior in the legal entourage of VKS. The right of audience of the court on behalf of VKS would have been with Mr U U Lalit.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

The then JAG (2006 & 2008) Maj Gen retd Nilendra Kumar is a common thread between what happened in 2006 and 2008. He is the closest, to any person having direct role in the conspiracy, to have appeared in media. Lt Gen retd Katoch was not off the mark when he said that.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-Feed ... 33586.aspx
Army judge in law degree row
There seems to be no end to the controversy surrounding the authenticity of the law degree of Major General Nilendra Kumar, Judge Advocate General (JAG), the Army's chief judicial officer.

Kumar's position as JAG now appears to have become untenable, with the Ministry of Defence filing an affidavit before the Delhi High Court that contradicts Kumar's claims of obtaining a law degree as per Bar Council of India (BCI) rules.

The rules mandate 66 per cent attendance during an academic session before taking examinations.

The ministry's affidavit came in response to a petition filed in January by Neterpal Singh, a clerk with the Jat regiment since 1995, who alleged that Kumar was illegally appointed as JAG since his law degree from the Lucknow University in 1982 was obtained in contravention of BCI rules. Kumar has, however, already filed an affidavit denying the allegation.

Although there is no dispute regarding the year in which he completed his degree, the petitioner has raised questions about his attendance in the third year. As per the information with the ministry, Kumar completed the 12-month academic session within four months. The Major General had received his third year admit card on May 25, 1982 and took his exams in August.

If these dates are correct, the petitioner states, it was impossible for JAG to have had recorded the mandatory 66 per cent attendance, as per BCI rules.

Contrary to Kumar's claim that he had taken the necessary clearances before enrolling himself into an LLB course, the ministry has informed the court that it has no record of the Major General either intimating or seeking prior approval.

The ministry has also contradicted Kumar's claim regarding the year during which he completed the first and second year of the law course.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage ... 33586.aspx
© Copyright © 2011 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

Here is an article written by Maj Gen retd G D Bakshi, that gives out the role of MS(X) and the complicity of MoD.

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?278421

Quoting from the above article...
This murky episode, however, serves to throw light on the opaque and manipulative nature of the MS branch. The ministry seeks to retain control by having its representative in the MS branch (MS-X) and tightly controlling all promotions to brigadier and above. In the pre-1962 era, this was used to sideline competent and combat-proven officers and promote sycophants and peace area specialists.
sunnydee

Post by sunnydee »

Nelson with IA looking like an incompetant organisation esp with regards to admin matters as a result of the public discourse on the VKS affair dont you think the Babus will, now with political approval, get more control over the army. Thus its not VKS,GOI,JJ,DK,MMS,AKA who have lost out but the army which has lost out on every parameter...

As such would it have been better for VKS to fight the issue with promotion systems in - house and in private ?
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

IA is not looking like an incompetent organisation, just because one service-person's DoB became the root of a scam. It is the prevalent structure of MoD and service HQ which are incompetent and corrupt to the core. As you see from my above posts MS(X) is a political commissar in the Army HQ and one of the key agencies to exercise the bureaucratic supremacy, at the same time exposing zero accountability if some thing goes wrong.

Even though it is sought to be portrayed that Age scam is a vindictive act of two Chiefs, it is not the entire gambit. Yes they are central players to the act, but the crucial role of civil functionaries in the Age scam can not be denied.

On the contrary to what you infer, I feel the days of civilian interference in matters purely military are numbered. If I am wrong it is the national security that is at peril. We will get to see, with what happens to Naresh Chandra committee report.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

sunnydee wrote:Nelson with IA looking like an incompetant organisation esp with regards to admin matters as a result of the public
Considering what the case has revealed in Political talons into IA through Babu's in MS branch -- why does Army look bad?

If anything it is now clear that the real bane is the political meddling. Unless of course there are people who start with a negative mindset already and are already looking for an excuse to tar and feather IA.

Those types, more than anything fear exposure and lime light, they would rather work in the dark, and are squirming desperately with the focus on the basic issues. We can easily see their discomfort with various places.

On the other hand, the core of the army, with straight shooters like Gen Katoch and Gen Bakshi -- what we normally understand by when we say "IA" are cheering this development.

So either
1) The entire "core" Army is peopled by dumb musclemen who dont understand what is happening here.
or
2) The fine, perceptive and intelligent soldiers and strategicians of IA see in this an opportunity to break the morass.

Take your pick.