Indian Army: News & Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army: News & Discussion

Post by chackojoseph »

joshvajohn,

But thanks. Please don't hesitate posting. At least, I don't want to miss a single photograph.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Ladakh: India, China border dispute continues
Indian Army patrol boats armed with machine guns and crewed by commandos sometimes enter the Chinese claim area of the lake, which India disputes.

The disputed areas are on the north bank of the lake and a bit of the south bank.

When Indian and Chinese patrols do come face to face, a special drill is followed to ensure no shot is fired. Each side unfurls a banner in English and Mandarin professing friendship and asks the other side to withdraw.
Nick_S
BRFite

Post by Nick_S »

Indian Army 2020 By Gen. S Padmanabhan
http://www.indiandefencereview.com/mili ... -2020.html

Mods please feel free to delete if this was posted earlier.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I see in the future some enhanced versions and application of this very exciting development
http://www.bharatrakshak.com/NEWS/newsr ... wsid=16317

dedicated ones could take forward positions, especially in mountain warfare, and dessert conditions, with some CAS.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Why is the Join the TA link up in the main news bar? Has an ad been taken out?
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Meet Lt. Cols MS Dhoni and Abhinav Bindra
Dhoni is a Lt. Col in a TA(Para) battalion and Bindra seems to be in a Sikh battalion, not sure though..
pmund
BRFite

Post by pmund »

I cant help feeling that it's a dumbing down of the maroon beret. Dhoni may be a great cricketer but does he deserve the maroon beret? It's EARNED after so much sacrifice. Don't we know how many covet it and how many actually end up wearing it?? It is every soldier's dream to have the 'Para' shoulder tabs and the maroon beret but how many see their dream come true? And here we are dishing out the para-phernalia like it was a showpiece to be displayed in a glass closet.
I may be in the minority here but I don't think handing out ranks to civilians, no matter how "great" they are, does the forces any good. Those who "have it in them" would move heaven and earth to join the fauj. If it takes a Dhoni or a Sachin to "persuade" you to join the forces, you have no business even thinking of wearing the uniform. It reminds me of the Ajay Devgan disaster 'Major Saab', where he asks a sidekick to "arrange for him to join NDA". It's not a picnic that any Tom and Dick can walk into.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
You may not be in minority on this one. Many members have voiced similar opinion and I totally agree.
BTW, according to TOI report, MS Dhoni had personally requested Para. Not that it makes it any better, but at least he must have had some inkling of what Maroon beret stands for.
And since we are discussing this topic:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rCjD8o3hgec/T ... 1%2529.JPG
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Mra6A96GLnM/T ... 2%2529.JPG
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

pmund, military ranks have historically been granted to certain civilians since time immemorial and continues to be done so world-wide. IA is far more republican and discriminating in its disposal of this honor than most armed-forces in the world, so it cannot be faulted for doing what militaries have always done. There are plenty of militaries out there, where every brat born into certain families is aautomatically a Colonel and every b*****d automatically a Captain of the most prestigious regiments of the force... that's just the way of the world. Comparitively, the Indian armed forces are quite enlightened in handing out this honor only to remarkable athletes who have represented the nation... and it would be just as okay with me if, like the French, they honored great scientists similarly.
pmund
BRFite

Post by pmund »

Hell, if I knew someone was distributing ranks and units, I would kill for 'Paras' and the maroon beret (i know i wouldn't have got it otherwise) :rotfl:
pmund
BRFite

Post by pmund »

Pargha, i take your point but I'd happier if the Army dresses up these great athletes in uniform (minus the ranks and unit insignia) and puts them on hoardings with the message "Dhoni wants YOU in the Army". It's for advertisement, after all. I refuse to believe that any potential soldier in India needs to be "persuaded" by the likes of Dhoni. I personally needed no persuasion. I couldn't sleep for nights after reading about Arun Khetrapal when I was in Class VI. HE was my inspiration as for thousands of other officers. I'd appreciate it if the Army brought these unbelievable heroes to the living rooms of families rather than hand out maroon berets and ranks
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Well personally i find it abhorring that we would give civilians honorary ranks just because they are famous in a sport or something.. If you want to give a honorary rank to anyone give it to people who have earned a bravery award, at least they have the guts and composure to handle life and death situations.. At max the sports person faces is a situation where he/she may lose a game.
The article also states that MoD has cleared a proposal to let Sachin and Dhoni fly in a Su30.. I can understand that a president wants to do it and is allowed to do so, considering he/she is the supreme commander of the forces, but what is the need to let these celebrities fly in a frontline fighter..
pmund wrote:Pargha, i take your point but I'd happier if the Army dresses up these great athletes in uniform (minus the ranks and unit insignia) and puts them on hoardings with the message "Dhoni wants YOU in the Army". It's for advertisement, after all. I refuse to believe that any potential soldier in India needs to be "persuaded" by the likes of Dhoni. I personally needed no persuasion. I couldn't sleep for nights after reading about Arun Khetrapal when I was in Class VI. HE was my inspiration as for thousands of other officers. I'd appreciate it if the Army brought these unbelievable heroes to the living rooms of families rather than hand out maroon berets and ranks
Completely second pmund on this.. If you want to inspire the youth print a book or shoot a documentary on heroes like 2nd Lt. Arun Khetrapal, Fg Off. Nirmaljit Singh Sekhon, Capt. Vijay Batra and distribute it to every school and college. Don't reduce the value of some of the important symbols of the military forces.
JMO.
anjan
BRFite

Post by anjan »

Sometime all this maroon beret worship gets silly on here. Regular Infantry battalions of the Indian Army do as much as any SF unit in the world. Hell, we must be the only infantry in the world that does mine clearing without sappers.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
And who has ever denied the extraordinary contribution of other Infantry batallions (or of any arm or service for that matter)? Even no Para SF soldier will claim that Officers and Men outside of Parachute Regiment cannot match them. Anyway, no one needs to say anything as the innumerable acts of courage and indomitable will shown by soldiers from all arms and services speak for themselves.

Having said that, Parachute Regiment has some singular characteristics of its own. For one thing, your comparison of Parachute Regiment with infantry is flawed because Parachute Regiment is not an infantry regiment. It incorporates elements from all arms and services of IA. It is the only regiment where where you can find personnel from AMC, Signals, arty and Infantry (or just any combination you can think of) fighting together in a single assault team. This becomes even more profound if we factor in 50 Para Bde. Plus, no one can deny their sacrifices and mental/physical gruel. In short, Parachute Regiment symbolic representation of the whole of IA.

Now, this is the reason why Para uniquely holds the imagination of some people (including myself). But how does that mean that others are not given their due respect? It is like saying that if a person is more fascinated by tanks and "worships" Armoured Corps, it is a disrespect of Arty! But that is the beauty of IA. It has so much diversity that different things can hold the imagination of different people to varying degrees. Why is that wrong?
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Nick_S wrote:Indian Army 2020 By Gen. S Padmanabhan
http://www.indiandefencereview.com/mili ... -2020.html

Mods please feel free to delete if this was posted earlier.
From this
Threats and Challenges to India : 2020

Military Threats

India is not likely to face a military threat from the USA or China because of its strength, both military and economic.

A medium level military threat may arise from Pakistan if it fails to make adequate economic and political progress, or, its leadership passes to radical elements, or, the country as such, fails and lapses into a state of anarchy.

Bangladesh may pose a very low level threat if it decides to encourage demographic ‘aggression’ by using its over-sized armed forces in support.

Threats of non-state groups armed with WMD could become a reality. They could be acting on their own initiative or, at the behest of a sponsor nation. This dimension of WMD would warrant war-like response from us.

Challenges. Apart from military threats, a number of non-military challenges may have to be faced by our Army in the 2020 time frame. These are as follows: -

Human resources of appropriate quality may get drawn to the more lucrative civilian sector. The terms and conditions of service and satisfaction levels of personnel, must be made more attractive. We should also enroll more short service personnel than regular cadres to reduce pension liabilities and for better career management of officers.

Funds allotted to the Armed Forces should be sustained at a level of three per cent of GDP for at least 12 to 15 years so as to ensure requisite modernisation and making good existing shortfalls.

Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) must be upgraded qualitatively and top quality scientists should be inducted into it. Rightfully, their expectations of pay and research facilities will be high. These must be met.

Private sector participation in defence R & D and development of complete systems by them, must be facilitated. Government should fund their defence research projects and give them guarantees of sizeable orders to encourage their partnership with the DRDO.

Scientific and technical manpower will be eagerly sought by other countries. To overcome this ‘brain-drain’, we should improve the working conditions and research facilities in our country.

The IT driven revolution in military affairs requires that the Army ‘manages’ these changes in a systematic and smooth manner. We need to create an integrated force working in an ‘unified battle space’; seamless communications; extensive exploitation of IT with excellent ‘cyber security’; top quality space based and terrestrial surveillance systems and fully operationalised C4I2 systems. This convergence of various technologies and capabilities will bestow the forces with much enhanced force-multiplier benefits through Network Centric Warfare (NCW). We have a long way to go in this regard.

Internal contingencies of various types could retard or block the Army’s effort to achieve optimal development in the next 15 years. We need to be prepared with suitable contingency plans to overcome these ‘drag’ factors.

Extreme Contingencies. In the unlikely event of our prognosis being grossly in error, the following extreme contingencies could occur :-

The USA, in a bid to prevent China from superseding her as the superpower, provokes China to a war with possible use of nuclear weapons.

China, in frustration with the US-India Axis and to teach India a lesson, may declare war on us.

Pakistan may join China in the war against India, or, allow to be used as a proxy to support China in a ‘holding’ mode.

Nature of Warfare in 2020
We have already seen that war with the USA and China (and, indeed, other advanced countries) is most unlikely. War with Pakistan may however occur, as also minor skirmishes with Bangladesh. Such engagements may have the following characteristics :-

They will be of short duration, say, a week or less.

Penetration in depth is unlikely to be attempted by either side.

‘Cold Start’ will be attempted whenever possible to achieve surprise and maximise gains.

The entire border is likely to be activated with shallow thrusts, very heavy firepower and short span manoeuvres.

Nuclear weapons may not be used; their use may, however, be threatened.

Special Forces and coup-de-main forces will play a major role.

Integrated action by all three services will be crucial for the enhancement of our combat power vis-à-vis the adversary’s.
Levels of technology employed in the wars will be higher than at present.

Wars will end in stalemate, with little or no gain, and heavy losses to military as well as civilian targets.

In the case of Bangladesh, the threat is of such a low level as to be non-serious. However in the skirmishing, the danger of casualties to unarmed civilians will be great and will need to be handled with firmness and imagination.
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

Army likely to recruit one lakh soldiers for China border\
NEW DELHI: Faced with growing Chinese military presence along the border and other complex security challenges in the region, the government is planning to increase the strength of the Indian Army by almost one lakh soldiers over the next five years.

Authoritative sources told TOI that the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has approved a Rs 64,000-crore (approximately $13 billion) military modernization plan that would include raising four new divisions along the India-China border. Two of these would be part of a Mountain Strike Corps dedicated to offensive operations. The plan also includes raising two independent brigades, one in Ladakh and the other in Uttarakhand.
Once cleared, this would be the biggest ever modernization and expansion package for the army. It would also be the largest increase in deployment along the China border seen since the immediate aftermath of the 1962 war.

Two weeks ago, MoD sent its plan to the finance ministry for scrutiny and approval, authoritative sources said. Once cleared, the proposal would be put up before the Cabinet Committee on Security for approval and financial sanction.

A senior MoD official said, under the proposal, the army will induct 90,000 more soldiers over the next five years during the 12th five-year plan period from 2012 to 2017-all of them for deployment along the China border. In the 11th Plan, the army's strength was augmented by 36,000 for two new divisions.
The proposed modernization plan includes a comprehensive overhaul and upgrade of the army's fire-power, logistical capabilities and other aspects of the China border deployment.

The army's projected requirement for ultra-light Howitzers for mountains would double, while it would also require a major addition to its helicopter capabilities, sources said.

A senior MoD source said while the proposal was focused on the India-China border, some military expansion is planned in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. At present, the army has just a brigade of soldiers in the islands. This is expected to be stepped up to the strength of a division, he said. There are also plans to increase air force and naval capabilities in Andaman and Nicobar as well as along the China border, he said.

The MoD had raised some initial concerns about the cost involved in a comprehensive military upgrade plan and the file was returned to the army headquarters a couple of months ago. But after a few rounds of consultations within the MoD, the defence acquisition council headed by minister A K Antony cleared the plan early last month, sources said.

Sources said the projected expansion budget of Rs 64,000crore includes the cost of new helipads and air strips, and also last-mile road linkages. It would also include the cost of implementing new concepts of military transformation, which are now being tested, including the capability to operate in smaller units and providing logistics in an integrated manner.
Haven't we heard this before? Let's hope there is SOME WALK and not just all talk!
anjan
BRFite

Post by anjan »

Gaur wrote:^^
Having said that, Parachute Regiment has some singular characteristics of its own. For one thing, your comparison of Parachute Regiment with infantry is flawed because Parachute Regiment is not an infantry regiment. It incorporates elements from all arms and services of IA. It is the only regiment where where you can find personnel from AMC, Signals, arty and Infantry (or just any combination you can think of) fighting together in a single assault team. Plus, no one can deny their sacrifices and mental/physical gruel. In short, Parachute Regiment symbolic representation of the whole of IA.

Now, this is the reason why Para uniquely holds the imagination of some people (including myself). But how does that mean that others are not given their due respect? It is like saying that if a person is more fascinated by tanks and "worships" Armoured Corps, it is a disrespect of Arty! But that is the beauty of IA. It has so much diversity that different things can hold the imagination of different people to varying degrees. Why is that wrong?

The comparison is not flawed by any means. Paras are very much infantry. Specialized infantry but infantry nonetheless. No less than Mech. Infantry is infantry. (The Special forces part is a separate debate. And a long, continuing and contentious one at that.)

And I don't know how many people share the idea that the Paras are representative of the Army.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

pmund wrote:Hell, if I knew someone was distributing ranks and units, I would kill for 'Paras' and the maroon beret (i know i wouldn't have got it otherwise) :rotfl:
The purpose here is propoganda and advetisement. Dhoni or Tendulkar would charge at least Rs 5 Corer to do the same for any other employer so you should be happy that all this press comes free of charge to armed forces. Dhony types are the role model for the demograph that armed forces try to tap.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

What is the strength of Indian Army?

I see figures ranging from 980K @BRF to 1.1Mil to 1.3mil for active duty at wiki?

Reserves figures are evne more confusing - Ranging from less than 1mm at BRF to 2.5million at wiki?

What is the difference in reserves in India as compared to USA?

In India people who just retired can opt to stay as reserve while training a month every year?

In US I know 18 years debating if they should join reserve or active duty, so it isn't same is it?

What about Pak and China?

Pakistan seems to have 3X (China 2X) more active duty men per capita than India but lower number while active reserves numbers are hard to figure out.
As per wiki-
Pak 650K active duty and 500K reserve
China 2.25 active duty and 1 mill reserve
USA 1.5 mil active duty and 1.4 mil reserve

If India is to have same size of army/capita as Pakistan or USA, we'll have an standing army of ~3.5 Million active duty troops.

Number will be 2 million men if we follow per capita figure of China.

Why do we have such an small army (normalized to population and economy) compared to our neighbors. Employing another half a million armed men in active duty would be cheaper than paying billions to Russia and America for expansive weapon systems and on top that money will stay in India.

What gives?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Katare wrote:Employing another half a million armed men in active duty would be cheaper than paying billions to Russia and America for expansive weapon systems and on top that money will stay in India.

What gives?
The expensive weapons systems will have to be procured regardless of whether we have a 1 million or 3 million strong standing army. You can't substitute one for the other.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

nachiket wrote:
Katare wrote:Employing another half a million armed men in active duty would be cheaper than paying billions to Russia and America for expansive weapon systems and on top that money will stay in India.

What gives?
The expensive weapons systems will have to be procured regardless of whether we have a 1 million or 3 million strong standing army. You can't substitute one for the other.
Sure I can, not completely but substantially
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

From: http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/news ... wsid=16354
The brigade-level military exercise by the People's Liberation Army's 101 Engineering regiment began last week and will continue for one month. Independent sources said this was the first time that Chinese troops were detected along India's western border.

According to information from intelligence sources, China is extending all possible help to Pakistan militarily. After assisting in oil and gas exploration in Pakistan, China is now working in close cooperation with it in India's western sector, providing Pakistan with tank upgrade technology and unmanned air vehicles (UAVs).

Officials contacted at the Army headquarters in New Delhi said they had "no specific information" about such an exercise. Another official said Pakistan Rangers conduct annual exercises but there was no information about the ongoing operations.

An intelligence source said the PLA's engineering battalion along with Pakistani soldiers are on an exercise on how to take out tanks and other heavy military vehicles from marshy areas, and how to make way for the infantry by constructing bridges.

The places where these operations are on are Suryaan and Chor, near Sem Nala in Rahimiyaar Khan in Pakistan, adjoining Tanot-Kishangarh area along Jaisalmer. There is an entire brigade of China for the military exercise there.
Hain ji? Wat are our intel assets doing wonlee? ABAX is useless - Djinn powered pak-chini is now invisible.

CM
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I think realization has hit the MoD that boots on the ground are also needed and not just weapons systems to counter the PRC as it transforms.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

ramana wrote:I think realization has hit the MoD that boots on the ground are also needed and not just weapons systems to counter the PRC as it transforms.
Numbers always count; if India can stand up an army of 250,000 on the northern front streaking from J&K to AP backed up with reserves that can take the strength to 500,000 in quick time, China will have think very hard if they want to mess with India.
If you apply the normal offensive vs defensive posture of 4:1, China would have to position 2,000,000 troops if it wants to deal a big blow to India. It would be logistics nightmare and economic hardship.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

seems the 64,000cr pkg to upg logistics , airlift and create 4 new divisions (2 for strike corps) has been approved by MOD and Defmin early in Sept per a TOI report today. hope the implementation is fast and smooth. the requirement for helis and howitzers is said to double. I do hope the M777 deal is on track still?

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 573904.cms

the army's projected requirement for ultra-light Howitzers for mountains would double, while it would also require a major addition to its helicopter capabilities, sources said.
Sources said the projected expansion budget of Rs 64,000crore includes the cost of new helipads and air strips, and also last-mile road linkages. It would also include the cost of implementing new concepts of military transformation, which are now being tested, including the capability to operate in smaller units and providing logistics in an integrated manner.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

In the melee of MSD and Abhinav Bindra, we seem to ahve missed the third person getting the badge:

Deepak Rao is the first Indian to specialise in modern Close Quarter Battle Training. He has imparted his expertise for 17 years to soldiers from various forces of the country. He has also been an Instructor in Reflex Shooting and Deep Sea Diving. Despite his outstanding achievements he remains committed, selfless and has dedicated his life to the Army as an organisation.

“For his yeomen service to the nation and specifically providing assistance to training of the Armed Forces in Close Quarter Battle, Advanced Commando Combat System and Combating Terrorism, Dr. Rao has been bestowed with the honour”, a release said.
Who is this Dr. Deepak Rao?? :eek:
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Found this blog on the Rao couple. Seems they have been in the business for quite some time now..
http://blackbeltcombat.tripod.com/index.html
NSFW: there is a midi file that keeps shouting Commando 3 times every time you open a link.
Marut
BRFite

Post by Marut »

Deepak Rao is the third person in uniform in the pics posted by Gaur. He also got into TA(Para) :shock: Since charlatans have been given opportunity to wear the OG & maroon beret, I think I'm now more qualified to wear it, what gives...
Very soon we may see Master Shifu also getting in :twisted:
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

So now that dhoni and bindra are in the TA, will they have to serve active duty perio period that is mandatory???
Marut
BRFite

Post by Marut »

^ Their ranks are honourary so no mandatory service. This is a PR exercise from the MOD to entice youth to join the forces.

For folks wondering about the Rao couple, please head over to the SF and the Misc pics dhaaga for some past discussions about them and other charlatans. Surya mullah will send me to reeducation camp for wasting bandwidth on these cretins if I post too much :((
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Gaur wrote:<SNIP> Having said that, Parachute Regiment has some singular characteristics of its own. For one thing, your comparison of Parachute Regiment with infantry is flawed because Parachute Regiment is not an infantry regiment. It incorporates elements from all arms and services of IA. It is the only regiment where where you can find personnel from AMC, Signals, arty and Infantry (or just any combination you can think of) fighting together in a single assault team. This becomes even more profound if we factor in 50 Para Bde. Plus, no one can deny their sacrifices and mental/physical gruel. In short, Parachute Regiment symbolic representation of the whole of IA.

<SNIP>
I think we're getting a bit overboard here.

Para is like any other Infatry Regiment. Even in other Infantry Regiments, all the elements fight together - if push comes to shove. Same is the case with Paras. The real charm comes from the 'elite' status - because you know that as someone wearing a maroon beret, you've done what many others wanted to but could not.

As for Para Bde, well, it has all the elements it has because of its unique role and because it is an (I) Bde. Take any other (I) Infantry Bde and you'll find it has the same elements, minus those required for airborne ops.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

India Cancels Wheeled Howitzer Purchase
NEW DELHI - The Indian Defence Ministry has canceled the tender to purchase 180 wheeled 155mm/52-caliber howitzers, another in a series of setbacks for the long-delayed Army program.

The Indian Army has failed to induct a single 155mm howitzer since 1987.

Defence Ministry sources said the purchase of the wheeled guns is being canceled following complaints to Defence Minister A.K. Antony about technical snags that came to light when a gun from one of the competitors, Konstrukta of Slovakia, burst during trials last year.

Currently Rheinmetall of Germany and Konstrukta are in the race for the $1 billion wheeled gun competition after Samsung of South Korea was eliminated from the procurement process in 2009.

After the howitzer burst during the trials last year, a Defence Ministry committee concluded the guns offered by Rheinmetall and Konstrukta are prototypes that are not in use even in their home countries.

In 2008, the tender for the wheeled guns was sent to the U.K.'s BAE Systems; Slovakia's Konstrukta; France's Nexter; IMI and Soltam of Israel; Samsung of South Korea; United Defense of the U.S.; Rheinmetall of Germany; and Rosoboronexport of Russia.

Only Rheinmetall, Konstrukta and Samsung were shortlisted after the technical evaluations.

The Indian Army requires that the wheeled 155mm/52-caliber guns be able to travel up to 40 kilometers and fire 150 rounds of ammunition in six to eight hours.

The gun should be able to operate day and night and receive data from the command post in digital and audio form.

The howitzer procurement is already delayed by more than 10 years, mainly due to India's blacklisting first of Denel of South Africa and then Singapore Technologies in 2008 because of alleged corruption.

The Army plans to buy 145 ultralight howitzers, 158 towed and wheeled, 100 tracked and 180 wheeled and armored guns in the first phase of its program to upgrade its artillery divisions.

Towed Guns

In May, BAE Systems opted out of the towed howitzer competition because the Indian Army changed requirements in the reissued tender of early 2011.

The Army's 2008 attempt to acquire the towed guns failed when BAE, which had fielded the FH-77B-5 gun, became the sole vendor after the other shortlisted competitor, Singapore Technologies, was blacklisted following allegations of corruption by India's Central Bureau of Investigation. The Army could not make an award if only one bidder qualified.

Light Howitzer

The purchase of light howitzers from BAE's U.S. subsidiary also was delayed when Singapore Technologies went to court and challenged the decision, claiming its gun was superior.

The Indian court has not issued a decision, although the Army strongly favors the immediate purchase of the 147 BAE light howitzers, Army officials said.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Would have used a head banging the wall icon earlier but this has become so normal news now that its actually funny!!
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

rohitvats wrote:
I think we're getting a bit overboard here.

Para is like any other Infatry Regiment. Even in other Infantry Regiments, all the elements fight together - if push comes to shove. Same is the case with Paras. The real charm comes from the 'elite' status - because you know that as someone wearing a maroon beret, you've done what many others wanted to but could not.

As for Para Bde, well, it has all the elements it has because of its unique role and because it is an (I) Bde. Take any other (I) Infantry Bde and you'll find it has the same elements, minus those required for airborne ops.
You yourself used the phrase "if push comes to shove". So, in exceptional needs, a lot can happen. But under normal circumstances, can you witness a situation where a single platoon consists of personnel from from AMC, EME, Arty and Infantry fighting together with full cohesion? Surely, that is something singular and unique to Para. So, Para is certainly not like any other infantry regiment.
On all other counts, I agree with what you are saying.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

WRT the news article on IA strength by 96,000, we need clarity on one point - does this number includes the raising in 11th Defence Plan of two divisions in the NE? The way that news article has been written, it seems that the earlier raising was outside of this approval. But with MOD/GOI, you never know.

The reason I ask this is because for quite sometime I've persisntent chatter on new raisings to be in the region of 8-10 divisions. If per chance the earlier raisings were outside this 96K number, then we're talking about 1 MSC with its complement of two divisions and two further divisions. That would give total of 6 new raisings. The other two divisions are expected to go to Northern Command - as I said sometime earlier, I expect XV Corps and XIV Corps to gain one division each. If the planned number is 8 new divisions, we will still have scope for further two and this may well be a MSC under Northern Command.

Addition of (I) Mountain Bde in Uttarakhand will bolster offensive capability - we already have an (I) Mountain Bde in the area. (I) Mountain Bde for Ladakh will help shortern the huge AOR of 3 Div and along with (I) Armored Bde planned in the area, is a welcome step.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Gaur wrote: You yourself used the phrase "if push comes to shove". So, in exceptional needs, a lot can happen. But under normal circumstances, can you witness a situation where a single platoon consists of personnel from from AMC, EME, Arty and Infantry fighting together with full cohesion?<SNIP>
Can you please tell me from where have you picked up the above fancy notion of AMC/EME/Arty/Infatry fighting together in a section or a platoon? How many from each arm do you think are seconded to each Para Battalion?

And if an AMC/EME/Arty personnel has to work like an Infatry soldier rather than do what they are trained for, then it must be a dire situation and in any other unit, the personnel will do the same.
arunsrinivasan
BRFite

Post by arunsrinivasan »

Good to hear the Indian Govt is taking some big steps to counter China. Just hope they follow through on these decisions quickly & it doesnt get stuck in bureaucratic inertia. I hope they at least clear the Artillery deal quickly & lay the Bofors ghost to rest.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

rohitvats wrote: Can you please tell me from where have you picked up the above fancy notion of AMC/EME/Arty/Infatry fighting together in a section or a platoon? How many from each arm do you think are seconded to each Para Battalion?

And if an AMC/EME/Arty personnel has to work like an Infatry soldier rather than do what they are trained for, then it must be a dire situation and in any other unit, the personnel will do the same.
An AMC doctor who has cleared SF probation will be part of an assault team. What is so fancy about that?