Indian Army: News & Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Boreas
BRFite

Re: Indian Army: News & Discussion

Post by Boreas »

coming out of vacation to show jingo dance over 64K crore expansion plan news :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(opsss there is no dance smiley :D)
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^I hope people actually start doing some analysis rather than writing whinefests and crap...That article is on the lines of LCA is making for gazillion years and associated nonsense.
jagbani
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jagbani »

Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Olympic gold medalist Abhinav Bindra on Tuesday donned the uniform of commandos as they were conferred an honorary rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the Territorial Army.

http://www.punjabkesari.in/punjab/fulls ... 14_151818-
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Gaur wrote: <SNIP> An AMC doctor who has cleared SF probation will be part of an assault team. What is so fancy about that?
The discussion was with respect to Para Infantry Battalions and not SF. A RMO in SF needs to do the above so that he becomes qualified to earn the Balidan Badge. A RMO being part of assault teams/sections/platoons in Para Bn. is a rarity and not par for the course.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

So the Solvakia gun barrel burst and they decided to cancel the Rheinmetal offer too? Are they serious or is this another pissful CBM?
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^Single vendor situation. Everyone is bothered about their dhoti and not country's interests.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Gaur and rohtivats, What obscure point are you guys making and wasting bandwidth. No more.
member_20011
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_20011 »

Not sure if this has been reported before:
http://www.firstpost.com/fwire/armys-ru ... 21857.html
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

ramana wrote:So the Solvakia gun barrel burst and they decided to cancel the Rheinmetal offer too? Are they serious or is this another pissful CBM?
The failure to get new artillery for IA is nothing short of criminal.

I'm of the firm opinion that the current GoI intends to totally hobble the forces ability to fight - all part of pissful CBM and Nobel fishing onlee...
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

Marut wrote:^ Their ranks are honourary so no mandatory service. This is a PR exercise from the MOD to entice youth to join the forces.

For folks wondering about the Rao couple, please head over to the SF and the Misc pics dhaaga for some past discussions about them and other charlatans. Surya mullah will send me to reeducation camp for wasting bandwidth on these cretins if I post too much :((
I am sick and tired of us claiming to know more than the Army itself especially in this case!
Who are we to call the Rao couple as charlatans when the Army chief himself has decorated Dr Rao? Let us mind our language while talking about people who are doing much more than us who majorly only talk.
I only wish that Prof Rao was given a higher rank than Dhoni as it seems he is directly involved in training the armed forces.
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

I am sick and tired of us...I only wish that Prof Rao was given a higher rank than Dhoni as it seems he is directly involved in training the armed forces.
Vik--> Quick post here. Have been put through seminars by this gentleman. I would take their claims with a pinch of salt. Would rather have the army play safe than risk controversy by associating with people who are perceived by a sizable chunk of the population as shady.

Till then Dhoni, Kapil, Bhindra-->Awesome, way to go.
Marut
BRFite

Post by Marut »

VikB wrote:
Marut wrote:^ Their ranks are honourary so no mandatory service. This is a PR exercise from the MOD to entice youth to join the forces.

For folks wondering about the Rao couple, please head over to the SF and the Misc pics dhaaga for some past discussions about them and other charlatans. Surya mullah will send me to reeducation camp for wasting bandwidth on these cretins if I post too much :((
I am sick and tired of us claiming to know more than the Army itself especially in this case!
Who are we to call the Rao couple as charlatans when the Army chief himself has decorated Dr Rao? Let us mind our language while talking about people who are doing much more than us who majorly only talk.
I only wish that Prof Rao was given a higher rank than Dhoni as it seems he is directly involved in training the armed forces.
1. When someone promotes themselves excessively with liberal doses of hyperbole about such things, it makes this abdul suspicious.
2. When more than a handful of people knowledgeable in this matter (not just this forum) make a similar assertion, the suspicion transforms into doubt.
3. When that someone claims to have trained the military all along for no compensation at all, then doubt becomes a certainty.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

From Orbat.Com:http://orbat.com/
India approves third set of two mountain divisions in its buildup against China. The first set of two was raised last year; approval for two more had been recently given, and now a third set of two has been cleared. Though the second and third pairs are under the 2012-2017 defense plan, which will start next year, its likely the new divisions will be raised well before 2017.

With this approval, Indian Army has obtained its minimum requirement against China. It actually wants a total of eleven new divisions, doubling the size of the force available against China.

The next step is up to China. We have said before that for absolutely no rational reason China has brought this Indian buildup on itself by pushing and pushing India in the north when India was perfectly content to mind its own business. China has to learn it may be the center of the Earth, if it mistreats neighbors there will be a reaction. If China now reacts by further provoking India, then those five extra divisions will happen. To begin with 15 large divisions facing Tibet is not exactly a joke, but twenty will be even more devoid of comedy.

Moreover, India deliberately misleads the world by talking of "mountain divisions", implying that its plains divisions cannot be used in the mountains. They very much can.

In addition to the six divisions raised or cleared, India has also cleared two mountain infantry and two armored brigade groups for the China border.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I would like to see 2 armour div in ladakh ,2 in north sikkim and 1 airborne div in arunachal equipped on the heavy scale of a US army armour div and 1st airborne in terms of gunships, transport helis, tube and MLRS, drones, MBTs and ICVs. each to be with 2 battalions of SF units attached.

then it would be time for mao-suit shivering.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Singha,

With that we might just make Rajesh ji dream of making HHDL the President of India come true. :P
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Sadly you are going to be more sick and tired then :)

simble question

What real combat experience do the Raos have??

Please educate us.

what next?? our Desi Shaolin -worlds best commando - pose in well - gets into army!!! :rotfl:
Marut
BRFite

Post by Marut »

^ you left out - Bollywood guru :lol:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

livefist has new pix of marcos teams training in the andamans.

not the gadget heavy khan type unit, each lugging 50 li-on cells to power all that eqpt..but very light kit, very fit looking...

:wink:

lots of comments by readers:
1. posture is not 'tactical' whatever that means
2. not looking menacing enough
3. no eyewear (presumably oakley will do onlee)
4. no MPs, just INSAS whining
5. some guys have no rucksack
6. send them for training in bering sea, andaman is too comfy
7. woolen face masks :rotfl:
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

rohitvats wrote:From Orbat.Com:http://orbat.com/
India approves third set of two mountain divisions in its buildup against China. The first set of two was raised last year; approval for two more had been recently given, and now a third set of two has been cleared. Though the second and third pairs are under the 2012-2017 defense plan, which will start next year, its likely the new divisions will be raised well before 2017.

With this approval, Indian Army has obtained its minimum requirement against China. It actually wants a total of eleven new divisions, doubling the size of the force available against China.

The next step is up to China. We have said before that for absolutely no rational reason China has brought this Indian buildup on itself by pushing and pushing India in the north when India was perfectly content to mind its own business. China has to learn it may be the center of the Earth, if it mistreats neighbors there will be a reaction. If China now reacts by further provoking India, then those five extra divisions will happen. To begin with 15 large divisions facing Tibet is not exactly a joke, but twenty will be even more devoid of comedy.

Moreover, India deliberately misleads the world by talking of "mountain divisions", implying that its plains divisions cannot be used in the mountains. They very much can.

In addition to the six divisions raised or cleared, India has also cleared two mountain infantry and two armored brigade groups for the China border.
Both armoured brigades are not in Ladakh I would assume? :P
jai
BRFite

Post by jai »

Rant warning -

I suspect the bigger need is not manpower but qualitative equipment. We have enough number of men - specially if you combine the paramilitary forces as well. Why not up skill and up arm them to infantry levels and rationalize the others in Army to optimal numbers of other arms/services, or just increase the retirement age of the current soldiers by two or three years.

We need better and more Arty guns, more and longer range AD missiles and radars/ gun systems, more Brahmos, P2, Agni missile regiments, Large number of man pads and anti armor missiles (where are the Namicas ??), Quicker induction and subsequent large numbers of Nirbhay and Prahar, better rifles, NVG and other sensors for infantry, large number of Helicopters - transport and attack, upgraded armour and ICV's etc etc..as it is, do we have enough of any of these ? Without more of these, can we give the dragon + the terrorists next door a bloody nose in a fight? This is not Dhoti shivering but common sense IMO. Why is there no news (or focus) on these acquisitions. Is this a prioritization issue for MOD in addition to the political issue that we all know about ? Are these missile test after test leading to any additions to actual regiments in the army ?

Why is AKA not looking at all of this over the age of the chief and his fancy foreign trips. What does he want the army to fight with ..Bow and arrows ? or am I missing something ?

End of Rant
Last edited by jai on 04 Nov 2011 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Singha wrote:livefist has new pix of marcos teams training in the andamans.

not the gadget heavy khan type unit, each lugging 50 li-on cells to power all that eqpt..but very light kit, very fit looking...

:wink:

lots of comments by readers:
1. posture is not 'tactical' whatever that means
2. not looking menacing enough
3. no eyewear (presumably oakley will do onlee)
4. no MPs, just INSAS whining
5. some guys have no rucksack
6. send them for training in bering sea, andaman is too comfy
7. woolen face masks :rotfl:
Yeah, while I appreciate Shiv Aroor for providing regular defence updates and pics, the people commenting in that blog are a really ignorant, arrogant and disrespectful bunch to put it most mildly. Sometimes, I read the comments just for the humour value. But most of the times, the comments end up spoiling the mood rather than providing any humour value.
Very recently, some pics were posted on that blog showing T-72 crew in a wargame in western sector. They soldiers looked tired and haggard with their shirts hanging out. In short, they looked just as you would expect them to after being worn out and severely dehydrated after working hard inside a 55 degree tank. Almost all the visitor comments were so disgusting and disrespectful (this included "Road side workers look more professional and fighting fit" "They die in so large nos because of their own fault. They are lazy and don't train"). I just had to hope that most of the visitor comments were from Pakis disguised as Indians because otherwise it would be really sad.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

as per media reports, one is for ladakh and other is for sikkim. But from whatevdr i have seen of the geography ov sikkim, the real estate for deployment of armor is very limited. May be some areas in extreme north in the finger area.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

on the contrary, RoyC sir was saying once you get past the chokepoints further south in central sikkim, north sikkim and adjoining vast area south of Lhasa is flat as a tabletop, without any blocking areas and ideal for armour.

dont just think of what is within our border as the playground. think tibet , chumbi valley etc.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

rohitvats wrote:as per media reports, one is for ladakh and other is for sikkim. But from whatevdr i have seen of the geography ov sikkim, the real estate for deployment of armor is very limited. May be some areas in extreme north in the finger area.
There is tankable country in the extreme north, not very large by Ladakh standards but still large enough to deploy some tanks.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Singha wrote:on the contrary, RoyC sir was saying once you get past the chokepoints further south in central sikkim, north sikkim and adjoining vast area south of Lhasa is flat as a tabletop, without any blocking areas and ideal for armour.

dont just think of what is within our border as the playground. think tibet , chumbi valley etc.
Beyond a certain point in north Sikkim is the Tibetan plateau and it continues into Tibet :mrgreen: So good flat areas outside our country also.

Chumbi valley is another axis altogether.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

consider the border as the jump off point, not a defensive line in north sikkim. if we break out of north sikkim and wheel east, I think we can bottle up the chumbi valley and everything in it between this advance and our defence in south sikkim in vicinity of jelep la and nathu la passes. use a couple airborne para formations to spread further panic by occupying points on the sole N-S highway and pound the crap out of segmented PLA formations.

secure our chicken neck area forever by annexing some this valley to sikkim.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

merlin wrote: The failure to get new artillery for IA is nothing short of criminal.

I'm of the firm opinion that the current GoI intends to totally hobble the forces ability to fight - all part of pissful CBM and Nobel fishing onlee...
+1. Not just the current GOI - all of them IMO. So that the next time 26/11 happens, they can claim the IA was not ready for war. They'd prefer that IA remains restricted as a "COIN-operated Army"
GopiD
BRFite

Post by GopiD »

http://idrw.org/?p=4985#more-4985

Armed forces feel left out of national security decision
Published November 4, 2011

SOURCE: IANS

India’s armed forces feel left out of the country’s national security decision-making process and have now demanded a greater role for themselves considering their domain knowledge.

This has been conveyed by the three services chiefs to a government-constituted Task Force on National Security under former cabinet secretary Naresh Chandra, according to sources here.

In particular, it was former Indian Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik who in service told the Task Force, in his capacity as the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff committee, that the armed forces did not feel part of the decision-making process.

Writing to Naresh Chandra, Naik had, in fact, pointed out that the three services had been reduced to mere proposer of plans to the defence ministry, while discussion on the plans was done among the bureaucrats and only decisions were intimated to them for a comment or input.

Finally, though, the armed forces inputs never reached the defence minister and the country’s political leadership and the approved plans do not reflect their views, he is reported to have said.

To offset this gap, the three services chiefs are believed to have suggested to the Task Force that three separate departments be created in the defence ministry for the army, navy and air force for better clarity of issues and understanding of military matters.

These departments would be over and above the four existing departments of defence, defence production, defence finance and ex-servicemen welfare.

The armed forces chiefs have also asked that certain directorates and divisions such as the one on international military cooperation must have officers from the three services driving them.

Under the present establishment and government rules, the defence of India is the responsibility of the country’s defence secretary and not the armed forces. The services want the present system to change, and favoured creation of the five-star position of chief of defence staff only after the role of the office was defined clearly.

This, they felt, would help in expediting armed forces’ proposals and plans — critical for defence of the country and for acquiring strategic reach and capabilities — that otherwise get caught in red tape

I hope the babus grow some brains and take the armed forces seriously..... :mrgreen:

Hope this is the right thread...... If not, mods please move the post to the appropriate thread.

ThanQ
fullmetaljacket
BRFite -Trainee

Post by fullmetaljacket »

Marut wrote:
VikB wrote:I am sick and tired of us claiming to know more than the Army itself especially in this case! Who are we to call the Rao couple as charlatans when the Army chief himself has decorated Dr Rao? Let us mind our language while talking about people who are doing much more than us who majorly only talk.
1. When someone promotes themselves excessively with liberal doses of hyperbole about such things, it makes this abdul suspicious.
2. When more than a handful of people knowledgeable in this matter (not just this forum) make a similar assertion, the suspicion transforms into doubt.
3. When that someone claims to have trained the military all along for no compensation at all, then doubt becomes a certainty.
These 3 totally vague and utterly ambiguous points are supposed to be logical and objective points of argument? Your statements have no basis as your

1. first point uses 'excessively' 'liberal doses' and 'hyperbole' in the same sentence, it makes you as guilty as the claim you make. And you have no objective basis for any of those claims since the COAS himself accepts, acknowledges and pips him. Being a commando who has even topped the Rangers Course at Fort Benning, the Chief would be the last man to do something of that sort. While the MoD has all the reason to piggyback on the Dhoni and Bindra mediawagon, why would they want to drag Rao out into the media highlight? I'd say the Army salvaged their honor by at least making sure one man was worthy of the maroon beret! Long live the IA ethos!
2. second point 'more than a handful of people knowledgeable in this matter' - Really? Who? Where? I don't see any faces with names to them. Should we pip them before they can stand up and speak? As for 'assertion' there has to be a fact before you can confidently and forcefully make a statement. And of course your 'facts' would be anonymous posts made in an Internet forum? Bravo! Perhaps you ought to send these facts to the Army HQ and tell them how they bungled up by pipping the wrong man. And I'm sure they'll ask you to direct your grievances to Dhoni's PR! <chuckling>
3. third point This sadly is a sentiment that is so prevalent that it makes me sad. Is corruption so ingrained, that we cannot even fathom the idea that someone can be clean? If we do not believe in the 'trained the military all along for no compensation at all' claims, then we are only showing disbelief in the selfless service ethos of the IA which the Chief has upheld by granting rank to this man. I remember his speech when he took over and said that he would focus on two things - training and the ethos. Ever since, scams have been unearthed and unprecedented legal action has been taken against defaulters. Times are bad and the shit's hit the roof and it's still dropping on our faces every time we look up, but that's no reason to be cynical. And just because you are cynical does not make you right. Every scam that is unearthed in the front pages does not make everybody corrupt by default. You don't have to be Anna to clean the nation up. Is it so incredulous that one can keep his own house clean? It's rather simple isn't it? Remove the commercial transaction involved and you give corruption no place to breed. Brilliantly radical I'd say and in keeping with the principles that keeps a soldier's head held high.

Like VikB says, the IA is no man's fool and wouldn't pip a 'charlatan' and a 'dog'. The man jolly well ought to have been given a higher rank! And we ought to mind our language indeed - only the inept in language, character and communication feel the need to resort to the use of foul language.

What in the blazes do you mean by 'dog'?
That he is the Army's best friend? Undoubtedly.
That he is faithful and loyal to a fault? After 17 years, I'd be a fool to say no!
Yes, the IA would be glad to have one such as he in our midst and the maroon beret proves it! I especially like what the man said about 'coming home'.. Kudos!
Last edited by fullmetaljacket on 05 Nov 2011 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

The Mythology of Cold Start
:
Cold Start is Rawalpindi’s favorite bogeyman. But what is it? In the words of a cable released by Wikileaks, it is “a mixture of myth and reality.” As I argue in a forthcoming paper in the Journal of Strategic Studies, it tells us a little about the aspirations of Indian officers, but a lot about the fears — real, imagined and contrived — of their Pakistani counterparts.
:
That logic was tested in 2002. The militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba precipitated an international crisis by assaulting India’s Parliament. New Delhi rushed to respond. A million men were mobilized by both sides and India spent $2 billion. Eight hundred soldiers died in accidents and skirmishes — making the exercise deadlier than Kargil, an actual war. A year later, India slunk back, having extracted some desultory and quickly reversed promises by then-President Pervez Musharraf to curb terrorism.

The army, whose lower ranks were apoplectic at being held back, made a simple diagnosis. India had taken too long to move its ponderous strike corps from the country’s heartland to the front line. As the weeks passed, the international community built up a crescendo of calls for restraint, and the element of surprise was lost.

Moreover, this was still the army that had cut Pakistan in half in 1971. It was trained to thrust toward the Indus and throw the enemy off balance. But in the nuclear age, that sort of total victory was so reckless as to become impossible. Maj. Gen. D.K. Palit, one of the few soldier-scholars in the history of the Indian Army, once noted that wars between India and Pakistan resembled “communal riots with armor.” The challenge in the nuclear age was to keep them like that.
:
So the army had to become suppler, quicker to rise (hence “Cold Start”), nimbler on its feet, less of a hatchet and more of a scalpel. It was reorganized into eight so-called “battle groups,” modeled on old Israeli and Soviet formations. Each would punch into Pakistan at unpredictable points, but to a much shallower depth and therefore below the imagined nuclear threshold. Only if war could be limited, went this argument, could it be credibly threatened.
:
:
Interesting read
fullmetaljacket
BRFite -Trainee

Post by fullmetaljacket »

Surya wrote: Sadly you are going to be more sick and tired then :)
simble question
Please educate us.
Talk of combat experience coming from someone who sits in front of a computer screen dropping smilies in a text box? What would you understand of combat experience that can rival that of not just COAS VK Singh but two other Army Chiefs before him? Questioning the capabilities of the senior-most Officer of the IA would amount to High Treason anywhere else, but of course you're hiding behind a computer screen in an internet forum which gives you diplomatic immunity to shoot your mouth off.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

An Israeli Lt. Col. commanding an elite helicopter unit was in India, and one of his Indian acquaintances took him, at a personal level, for a vipasana class on a Sunday. The chap was suitably impressed, and four year later, while visiting Israel, I was surprised to find he had taken Indian vipasana trainers to hold classes for his whole unit, with permission from his chain of command. His pilots and engineers also took a liking for vipasana. The Air Force was neutral - it neither condoned nor condemmed these activities.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the vipasana trainers did not perceive military personnel at a higher esteem than businessmen/politicians, hence did not advertise themselves as spiritual trainers of Hail Ha-avir like they did of Indian businessmen/politicians, and inveigle invitations like Tareq and Michaele Salahi to get themselves appointed as honorary Lt Col in HHA.

Being an open and democratic country, our military/political/social/scientific leaders are easily accessible. I am reminded of Ramar Pillai whenever I find someone claiming just because some leader gave him facetime and got photographed with him, that translates into ample proof of his capability.

As pmund stated, its an insult to those who spend their lives to earn and retain the qualification.

However, such people, too, shall pass, and they'll be remembered fleetingly like Ramar Pillai and Tareq Salahi or this chap
http://m.mumbaimirror.com/index.aspx?Pa ... 25bb9a978e
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Talk of combat experience coming from someone who sits in front of a computer screen dropping smilies in a text box? What would you understand of combat experience that can rival that of not just COAS VK Singh but two other Army Chiefs before him? Questioning the capabilities of the senior-most Officer of the IA would amount to High Treason anywhere else, but of course you're hiding behind a computer screen in an internet forum which gives you diplomatic immunity to shoot your mouth off.
Take a deep breath and read again

I do not claim to be the best close combat expert. These characters do.

I was there when these characters came in to a certain army organisation. by pulling strings they got themselves into a presentation. they made sure they took enough pictures which i am sure must adorn some brochure.

This particular org told them thanks but no thanks.

So I ask again whats their actual combat experience?
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Anothing intelligent sounding bull sh*t.....if all that a Harvard Scholar and RUSI member do is pull references from articles written in indian dailies by DDM par excellence and come up with his own concoction of nonsense, then god save us.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

fullmetaljacket wrote:
Surya wrote: Sadly you are going to be more sick and tired then :)
simble question
Please educate us.
I appreciate your sentiment but you chose the wrong door to enter BRF. Please let us know if you have a non free email domain to register. You are banned till then.
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

Army Chief Gen V K Singh during a visit to Ladakh to review the security situation and preparedness of the troops.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

China creeping up in Ladakh
The dragon is breathing down the neck where India is most vulnerable — part of the ancient silk route that connects the Ladakh region in the northern most part of Jammu and Kashmir to the bordering Xinjiang region in China.

The Indian defence establishment recently began counter-measures
after coming across intelligence that China had set up at least two missile storage facilities just across the line of actual control (LAC) in that area.

While New Delhi began building infrastructure in northern Ladakh, particularly at Daulat Beg Oldi on the old silk route, the intelligence on the missile site at Xaidulla came as a big surprise just three months ago.

The Indian Army has proposed deployment of short-range missiles, such as the BrahMos, along the LAC with the option of using the long-range ones also to act as a deterrent.

Satellite images showed 13 tunnels had been built at Xiadulla, an old base of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army of China, just 98 km from the Karakoram mountain pass between Ladakh and the Xinjiang Uyghur autonomous region.

Another missile facility has been located at Qizil Jilga, 40 km off the LAC in eastern Ladakh near the Western Tibet highway.
Missile silos so close to the border( just 40 K.Ms)?