JSF,"turkey or talisman"?

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Re: JSF,"turkey or talisman"?

Post by Indranil »

brar_w wrote: Given that we have no hard facts to work on (other then something a pilot said about the jet's performance) as this was not baked into the KPP, it is likely the case that the jet can sustain mach 1.2 for some period before loosing it due to drag and other factors. In other words it requires a bump to get it past the transonic range and after that it can sustain that (once it gets there) for 150-200 nm or so.
What does this even mean?
brar_w wrote: What advantage does this bring? Well its a tactical advantage in the sense that the exposure to IAD's is reduced compared to a mach .8 or so optimum cruise speed (usually what a multi-role loaded F-16 or F-18 does) and this gets even more important given the Baracuda+-81's combined ability to very precisely geolocate threat(s) and chart optimum flight profiles to present the best possible cross-section and footprint to the IAD. Thats about it. If super cruise was baked into the KPP's, the requirement would have closely mimicked that of the F-22's i.e. high speed (ATF defined it mach 1.5 as a minimum) with a set range, totally dry to get to that speed with a defined payload at a defined altitude with a defined overall (super+sub) radius. From what the reports have said on the matter, the F-35 can sustain that speed for 150 or so nautical miles which while was not a part of the original KPP's will definitely be used by the pilots if required. Like I said earlier, an F-18 will most likely not give you any supersonic range with a modest fuel and mixed load, and nor will the F-16 with the EFT's, CFT's (or both) and a mixed load. The pilots here are more concerned with supersonic range rather then what a particular journalist or forum poster interprets their comments and/or a random US DOD program definition that just happened to catch on within marketing materials worldwide (same as integration, sensor fusion etc etc)

This makes NO SENSE if you consider this as super cruise as per the generally accepted (but by no means a standardized) definition as laid out by folks at Wright Patterson. However, what the F-35's pilot refers to is merely supersonic range compared to his legacy and it must be looked outside of the the "super cruise" terminology. Remember a few F-16 pilots claiming that a clean F-16 under some circumstances could break the supersonic barrier with some modifications (modeling) yet that is not super cruise by any definition. Similarly, from what I hear on the F-35, its really not super cruise so there is no question of the speed going down because it should go up due to a decrease in weight with time/flight, its just that the constant battle between transonic, supersonic drag is something that translates to a much shorter supersonic range without re-egniting the burners. An F-15 that uses burners to go over the mach 1 speed will not keep on accelerating indefinitely if it turns the burners off, it still requires burners to go past 1.5 and over to its maximum designed speed.
No applications in combat but could help reduce fuel consumption in scenarios requiring fast transit in or out of combat zones.
Apparently the SR burned less fuel "in terms of pounds of fuel burned per nautical mile traveled" under certain circumsthanses while traveling at Mach 3.2 compared to lower speeds ;)

That Aside, Supercruise by itself is something that is designed to get more supersonic range without trying to achieve lower fuel burn @ supersonic compared to subsonic. It came into light because you had these brilliant Mach 2+ fighters (most 4th gen) that had abysmal supersonic combat radius especially with a meaningful load compared to their KPP for overall combat radius.
I don't know what all you brought about just to prove your point!!! :D It is actually quite simple unless you want to prove that F-35 can supercruise. Please understand:
1. The effect of bypass ratios of turbofans on their efficiency in the transonic and supersonic regions.
2. Coefficient of drag in the transonic and the supersonic regions.

Once you understand those two, you would understand why NOBODY wants to fly at 1.0-1.2M. And the F-35 pilots won't cruise at 1.0-1.2M. They will fly transonic or above 1.3M. It is actually quite fundamental.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Means that it is most likely that the F-35 CANNOT go supersonic without some use of the Afterburner. However it may well be the case that with a suitable/mission relevant role it can sustain supersonic speeds (with little AB usage) much better than the aircraft it is replacing and thereby considerably better the supersonic radius compared to the 2 supersonic fighters it is replacing.

Adding the word super cruise to this is rather pointless. It was never a KPP for the program. Had they designed the F-35 to process high super cruise like the F-22, the solution to the engineering design would have naturally been much different. However, with the F-35 the mission, multi-role nature and the affordability especially fleet sustainment was a key driver of design, and just as the f-16 has shown platforms that do have these considerations have a much better life when it comes to receiving relevant upgrades.
It is actually quite simple unless you want to prove that F-35 can supercruise. Please understand:
From my understating it CANNOT super cruise. It was never a KPP requirement for the program and was omitted for good reason. I brought this up, to make a point to Viv, not to your post.
Once you understand those two, you would understand why NOBODY wants to fly at 1.0-1.2M. And the F-35 pilots won't cruise at 1.0-1.2M. They will fly transonic or above 1.3M. It is actually quite fundamental.
And thats why what the pilot has said about the supersonic performance isn't really relevant, and a reason why i have never ever used that aspect of the pilot interview/comment in any of my prior discussions or analysis on the matter. It could be the case that :

The pilot referred to mach 1.2 as a general ball park speed without going into the specifics
Or the aircraft does super cruise to some degree that is not being disclosed.

Personally, I do not enter into things that are not public knowledge and well established through various analysis and reports on the matter. As far as I am concerned, the aircraft does not super cruise by any definition although there have been claims by those that fly it that it can sustain speeds of around mach 1.2 for around 150 nm. Anyone is entitled to believe what they may.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Means that it is most likely that the F-35 CANNOT go supersonic without some use of the Afterburner. However it may well be the case that with a suitable/mission relevant role it can sustain supersonic speeds (with little AB usage) much better than the aircraft it is replacing and thereby considerably better the supersonic radius compared to the 2 supersonic fighters it is replacing.

Adding the word super cruise to this is rather pointless. It was never a KPP for the program. Had they designed the F-35 to process high super cruise like the F-22, the solution to the engineering design would have naturally been much different. However, with the F-35 the mission, multi-role nature and the affordability especially fleet sustainment was a key driver of design, and just as the f-16 has shown platforms that do have these considerations have a much better life when it comes to receiving relevant upgrades.
It is actually quite simple unless you want to prove that F-35 can supercruise. Please understand:
From my understating it CANNOT super cruise. It was never a KPP requirement for the program and was omitted for good reason. I brought this up, to make a point to Viv, not to your post.
And thats why what the pilot has said about the supersonic performance isn't really relevant, and a reason why i have never ever used that aspect of the pilot interview/comment in any of my prior discussions or analysis on the matter. It could be the case that :

The pilot referred to mach 1.2 as a general ball park speed without going into the specifics
Or the aircraft does super cruise to some degree that is not being disclosed.

Personally, I do not enter into things that are not public knowledge and well established through various analysis and reports on the matter. As far as I am concerned, the aircraft does not super cruise by any definition although there have been claims by those that fly it that it can sustain speeds of around mach 1.2 for around 150 nm. Anyone is entitled to believe what they may.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Philip Saheb,

Ultimately!!!!!

Check out the Oct 13, 2014 AWST, page 28: "Separate Ways - U. S. Air Force and Navy may pursue their own next-generation fighters".

Congratulations, They have heard you.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

NRao wrote:Philip Saheb,

Ultimately!!!!!

Check out the Oct 13, 2014 AWST, page 28: "Separate Ways - U. S. Air Force and Navy may pursue their own next-generation fighters".

Congratulations, They have heard you.
Not so early! For the "stars to align" for a joint program there has to be a common need and that need has to essentially overlap with a common timeline. In this case, you have the USAF that has a 5th generation fighter (although not in the numbers it so desires) that it wants to replace with a genuine 6th generation effort. On the other hand you have the US Navy, that really HAS to start replacing the Shornets at a particular time, and that time is really not that flexible due to the shorter life of navelized fighters (slep or no slep). The Navy also has other things to worry about. The aircraft lobby within the US Navy is very weak at the moment and has been for many years. Ships, subs and their system/sub-systems take budgetary priority, while on the other side the USAF has a strong fighter lobby both from the retired folks and from within. How this plays out would be interesting. The USN is absolutely horrible at having the foresight and taking aviation technology from the lab onto the front line while the USAF has been very good at that. The Navy also has a poor track record at large PM and really has little support within the admiralty on these matters. This could lead to a combination of USAF and USN interests just as the reluctant USN joined the JSF program after the USMC and the USAF really forced them to do so. It remains to be seen, although for the USN joining a USAF program looks rather unlikely at this point since the USAF timelines could possibly be a decade later than the optimum time to replace the Rhino. They would most likely continue to pour "common dollars" into capability development until a point comes when the pentagon takes a look at both their AOA's (USN will shortly begin its AOA, USAF will possibly begin it around 2017-18) and ask them to do a combined AOA. Anything can happen at that point in time. Two things will dictate what happens -

* The cost and projected numbers of the LRS-B (The USAF may itself decide to go for an 80% solution for an F-22 replacement if its LRS-B program performs well and gives it the required numbers)
* The overall acquisition cost of the F-35, the trend in the graph lines and the fleet wide sustainment cost of the F-35C. If these numbers are good (its way too early in the Charlie's life to try to peg its numbers with those of the more larger production Alpha variant) the USN may just decide to incorporate changes into the F-35C, and develop a Super Lightning II. In fact, among its proposals to the USN, Lockheed has submitted detailed plans for one such fighter along with a dedicated clean sheet aircraft.

Furthermore, the entire program or programs (in case they are separate) have to finally get through the ASB (Air Sea Battle) test. Can the US Navy, continue to offload much of the sensitive, high risk/high payoff technologies to the USAF and still command USAF assets under the umbrella of the ASBC? The USAF has embarked on one of the most technically challenging development projects in the Long Range Strike effort, and from what little is known they are going down a systems path to achieve the same. Not sure if the US Navy can escape doing a lot of hard R&D out of its pockets for future systems and field another Rhino like permanent "stop gap" after failing miserably at its own Stealth First day strike aircraft. Things like Directed Energy Weapons, Propulsion and advances in computing and software require some serious investment in the coming ten or so years, and i doubt that USN can escape funding its obligations towards that. At the moment the USN has its fingers in most of these pies and i foresee this to increase further. Also, under the ASBC you do not only need to have a "fighter" solution to a Air superiority problem. In fact, that is one "legacy" thought process the ASBC strongly opposes.

A lot will also depend upon what happens with this program -

And how much systems integration between manned and unmanned the LRS-B program is able to advance. It could well be the case that the FA-X is a combination of a NG version of the UCLASS on one end, and a Super Lighting II with Variable Cycle Engines, and other design and component upgrades at the other.

tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

designer of Flying Tank A-10 a thunderbolt on F35

http://youtu.be/mxDSiwqM2nw

sorry if already posted
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Must have been posted, and discussed half a dozen times..if not more
member_28714
BRFite

Post by member_28714 »

brar_w wrote:
Yup, the engine that will be in AB mode most of the time " just because" has also had a fix designed for it (excessive rubbing) and ordered by the JPO as was reported by them last night, paid for by P&W/UT.
hahaha ... this had me in splits. Are you acknowledging that the engine had issues and got 'fixed'? Because a week back you were still abusing me when I pointed this out. And a day into the news coming out all of you know that the fix works?

F 35 T/W ratio without afterburners against Empty weight (no arms, fuel, nothing)

F 35 A = .96
F 35 B = .87
F 35 C = .80

F 35 T/W ratio without afterburners against MTOW

F 35 A = .4
F 35 B = .43
F 35 C = .4

Realistic T/W of F 35 without AB would be about between .5 and .6 after some fuel and ammo dump.

Afterburners? Who needs them anyway?

It will be a day of great celebration for the F 35 program when one of their engines completes a 1000 hours without going kaput. And that day is yet to come.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Are you acknowledging that the engine had issues and got 'fixed'?
I was one of the first persons on this board to report the problem of the engine fire. If you'd bother looking up the timelines, you would find that I posted about the incident before most major news agency reported it on their website.
Because a week back you were still abusing me when I pointed this out.
Not in a habit of abusing anyone, especially not on a forum. Please point me to a post of mine where I abused you? and while you are at it, kindly report that post to the moderators as well.

Secondly, the issue with the engine was that of excessive rubbing of the blades, and that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the F-35 would have to use the afterburner most of the time or more times compared to the aircraft it is replacing. Has the F-135 had issues through its development? Of course, which new generation engine has not. Is this a deal breaker? Not really, since the customers are protected through the updated concurrency contracts and none of the stakeholders are worried about a slippage in overall time-lines because of this.
And a day into the news coming out all of you know that the fix works?
What does this mean? Has the fix been tested sufficiently? I am not sure as I haven't been keeping up with this, but if they are planning to implement this fleet wide, they would have some sort of evidence that it does indeed solve the problem of excessive rubbing.
F 35 T/W ratio without afterburners against Empty weight (no arms, fuel, nothing)

F 35 A = .96
F 35 B = .87
F 35 C = .80
Your Standard empty (No fuel, No weapons) F-16C weighs in @ just over 18,000 Pounds with a 17,000 pound class (dry) P&W engine. This gives you a thrust to weight ratio of less then the .96 of the F-35A. The F-18C performs a little better than the Charlie with a thrust to weight ratio (empty) of around .95 with a 404-402.
F 35 T/W ratio without afterburners against MTOW

F 35 A = .4
F 35 B = .43
F 35 C = .4
T/W ratio of an F-16 @ its MTOW is is around .4 (43k+ weight with a 17K non-afterburning engine (P&W)). For the F-18C its around .4 as well with its MTOW. Even the Rafale will give you around .4 and .5 as the T2W ratio @ its maximum MTOW, and the F-22A gets you around .5-.6. No one expects any of these fighters to be doing DOGFIGHTS @ their MTOW's. An F-35 or an F-16 with a huge load out that is very close to its MTOW would most likely be accompanied by performance requirements that closely mimic those of say an F-117 (T2W ratio of .4). Entering air combat on the other hand would involve loosing a lot of the ordinance and keeping a watch on the fuel. Neither the F-35, rafale or the F-22 would enter air combat with a T2W ratio of .4-.6, heck even dry. This is just not how its done. One problem that comes with the legacy aircraft (F16 and F18) is IADS dodging which for them involves massive re-routing, support assets and the ability to have the flexibility to go AB's to get performance bumps to have a fighting chance against SAM's. The F-35 solves this problem @ multiple levels, some come from performance (internal everything) and the others come form its Low RCS (shrinking SAM envelopes) coupled with an integrated Active/Passive suite that has the ability to geolocate threats, avoid if possible or take countermeasures much earlier then legacy aircrafts.

The analysis however is flawed. Thrust performance @ MTOW is one metric but it by itself is not really very useful. The F-35 carries its weapons internally, and all of its maximum fuel ( 18,000+ for the Alpha) capacity is carried internally. The Viper and the C-Hornet on the other hand really take a HUGE PENALTY when they start approaching carriage and range requirements that begins to move closer to the hypothetical MTOW. Carrying a couple of 2K bombs brings in drag, and carrying EFT's further adds to the drag. The F-35 is also designed from the outset to give range improvements over and above the baseline Viper or Hornet. Simply put, it is a fighter that for its strike role approaches the F-15E level of performance on some missions as opposed to sticking to a moderately kitted F-16C. I have provided a work which shows this trend quite clearly in one of my earlier responses on this matter on the other thread.

Like I said in my earlier post on the matter, there are Engine experts on the web and on forums that have worked, for and on with both GE and P&W's products for more then a decade, and they can be reached out to get an understanding or clarification on the matter. There are also ex-F-16 pilots who routinely interact with current F-35 pilots over at the F-16's web forum and they can elaborate upon how the F-35 performs compared to a clean F-16 or a loaded one. There have also been pilot interviews where they have talked about how the aircraft performs vs the aircrafts it is replacing. There is no reason to believe that the F-35 would need to be in after burners any more then the aircraft it is replacing in similar situations and for similar missions. Taking MTOW is also a flawed way of comparison because most missions would not involve the aircrafts going out on MTOW, and those that would (Bombing ISIS for example) would have plenty of tanker cover and would not require air to air combat. Ultimately, where the F-35A scores of the F-16 for well-loaded and long(er) ranged missions is due to the fact that it carries its weapons internally, has all of its max fuel internally carried and does not need to optimize its ingress and egress paths due to a massive signature like the F-16 would require to.

From "Lt Col Lee Kloos, the commander of the58th Fighter Squadron"- An experienced F-16 pilot transitioning onto the F-35A
But compared to other aircraft, a combat-configured F-35 probably edges out other existing designs carrying a similar load-out. “When I’m downrange in Badguyland that’s the configuration I need to haveconfidence in maneuvering, and that’s where I think the F-35 starts to edge outan aircraft like the F-16,” Kloos says.

A combat-configured F-16 is encumbered with weapons,external fuel tanks, and electronic countermeasures pods that sap the jet’sperformance. “You put all that on, I’ll take the F-35 as far as handlingcharacteristic and performance, that’s not to mention the tactical capabilitiesand advancements in stealth,” he says. “It’s of course way beyond what the F-16has currently.”

The F-35′s acceleration is “very comparable” to a Block 50F-16. “Again, if you cleaned off an F-16 and wanted to turn and maintain Gs and[turn] rates, then I think a clean F-16 would certainly outperform a loaded F-35,”Kloos says. “But if you compared them at combat loadings, the F-35 I thinkwould probably outperform it.”
The point is quite obvious, the F-35 with its internal carriage of fuel and weapons begins to shine as mission requirements call for greater range, and a different weight-payload balance. No longer are Massive CFT's, or multiple EFT's required to go the same distance. This is obviously before the changes and plans to up the thrust as well make the engine more efficient kick in (both for this current F-135 engine and for the future Variable Cycle engine that is in development)
It will be a day of great celebration for the F 35 program when one of their engines completes a 1000 hours without going kaput. And that day is yet to come.
Realistic T/W of F 35 without AB would be about between .5 and .6 after some fuel and ammo dump.
.65 T2W with 50% fuel, 2x2000lb bombs and 2 self defense missiles (all weapon and fuel carried internally). The F-16C gives you .60 with just 3500 pounds of fuel and same weapons load. All those weapons would be hanging off of the aircraft. Up the fuel and you need to carry EFT's beyond 7000 pounds. I seriously cannot recall the last I heard that F-16C's were going into combat without EFT's for extra fuel.

No one is saying that the F-35 will never require after burner use. Even the F-22 requires them. What I am contesting is that assertion that somehow the F-35 would have to use the AB's any more then the F-16C for a similar mission. In fact on actual missions the opposite may well be true. Currently the F-16's and all legacy fighters operated by the USAF or USN need a set maneuvering capability along with endurance while engaging an enemy either by penetrating an air cover or by doing so on an area defended by SAM's. This is so that here is a quick escape route (light up the burners) and performance margins while having to dodge detection and targeting. The F-35 due to its stealth, and internal carriage shrinks SAM and IAD envelopes thereby increasing the amount of time it spends in the Enemy_SOI without having to be restricted/slaved to the fuel requirements for a "duck and run" type of a contingency.

Its an in-development program and there are only 2 (maybe 3 now) F-35's in total that have clocked greater than 1000 hours (with AF2 being the most recent one). The short of statistics you are requiring are not characteristic of of jets at this particular point in time. BTW, since 2010 the F-135 has had a Mission availability rate of 98%, for a jet that is still in LRIP and technically in "development". Issues have been identified during development, solutions have been designed and testing has gone on. Same has happened for the fan rubbing incident. Other incident was that of supply quality and that is a legal and logistical matter not a technical one. The F-35 program much like the F-16 program has a Concurrency model ( although this model is not as aggressive on the F-35 as it was on the F-16 )development program therefore such things are a part and parcel of LRIP and not something that occurred by accident (isolating issues, and bringing concurrent changes while maintain LRIP is a program design, not an accidental consequence of something).
Last edited by brar_w on 22 Oct 2014 02:51, edited 2 times in total.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

They just don't get it. their ideology won't let them get it. Out of idle curiosity I went over to the Packistani Defense forum to see if they have a F-35 thread. Well thy darn sure do. And almost the same type ideology comments that you see here. It's amazing. They've got a couple of guys who are very informative which was a major surprise to me. I think some of the on-line dreadlocked Mau Maus on this forum like to post sub rosa over there but still it surprised me. OT, no more from me on this.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

TSJones wrote:They just don't get it. their ideology won't let them get it. Out of idle curiosity I went over to the Packistani Defense forum to see if they have a F-35 thread. Well thy darn sure do. And almost the same type ideology comments that you see here. It's amazing. They've got a couple of guys who are very informative which was a major surprise to me. I think some of the on-line dreadlocked Mau Maus on this forum like to post sub rosa over there but still it surprised me. OT, no more from me on this.
What do you mean by this? Do you get out of your avionics-and-stealth-can-solve-everything syndrome? Or is it USA-built-it-hence-best-fighter syndrome?

Give me a good reason for not warning you for flame-baiting?
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

TSJones wrote:They just don't get it. their ideology won't let them get it. Out of idle curiosity I went over to the Packistani Defense forum to see if they have a F-35 thread. Well thy darn sure do. And almost the same type ideology comments that you see here. It's amazing. They've got a couple of guys who are very informative which was a major surprise to me. I think some of the on-line dreadlocked Mau Maus on this forum like to post sub rosa over there but still it surprised me. OT, no more from me on this.
Its not about "getting it". The entire idea that Thrust to weight ratio metrics, especially using MTOW weights and dry thrusts dictate afterburner usage which in turn dictates engine life/ MTBF is quite useless in drawing conclusions on performance of any kind. As I have shown, the F-35 does not significantly differ from the aircraft it is replacing when it comes to Thrust to weight ratio with dry thrust @ MTOW. All here including the Rafale and the F-22 offer extremely low T2W ratios when given those constraints (MTOW and dry thrust). However, that is not indicative of much. No one will send a rafale, raptor, F-35 or F-16 up into an air-battle @ its MTOW. Secondly, I have shown pilot testimonials (combat pilots no less) about how the performance compares to the block 50 Viper when loaded. Both the Hornet and the Viper trade off a lot when they pile on EFT's, a combination of EFT's and CFT's, and heavy weapons. Their ranges without these are no longer relevant to the primary users (USAF, USN). Hence, the F-35 is designed in between the F-16C and the F-15E in terms of range-payload, especially with the optimum performance. In fact if you look at the current usage of USAF's F-16C's, they are being kitted more and more to resemble load outs that would have traditionally worked on the Beagle. That is the nature at which the user finds itself (range and payload mixes required from an expeditionary warfare perspective). Kit out the F-35 to match the optimum or realistic flight profile of an F-16 carrying 7000 pounds of internal weapons and 4-6 missiles, there would be absolutely no need to carry around 18K pounds of fuel especially given how much of the 7000 pounds of internal fuel the F-16 is going to use up re-routing and going around SAM rings that are only getting bigger given its ginormous RCS. The chart above shows that in an optimum profile an alpha turkey will outrange a Soufa without its EFT's (7000 pounds internal fuel + 6100 pounds of additional fuel in the CFT's (13100 total).

The question that is worth asking to F-16 pilots (and particularly to F-18C , or E/F pilots) is what supersonic range do they have with a load out of 2 x EFT's + 2 x 2000 lb bombs + 2 Self defense missiles (lets just use the lighter 9X's), and whether given the dynamics of their mission requirements (think reserves and range) they can even go supersonic with such a load out for any reasonable/ tactically significant distance/range. Ask around the WWW (some ex F-16 pilots and experienced logisticians routinely post on various forums) and you'll be surprised @ the answer.
Last edited by brar_w on 22 Oct 2014 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

indranilroy wrote:
What do you mean by this? Do you get out of your avionics-and-stealth-can-solve-everything syndrome? Or is it USA-built-it-hence-best-fighter syndrome?

Give me a good reason for not warning you for flame-baiting?
A number of posters on this forum do not understand for various reasons that the modern jet fighter has shifted. its not about exotic maneuvers and a few minutes of supersonic speed, it's about a combination of EW, clean flight platform, and net centric comm to multiple sources. What we are seeing on the thread are the same arguments over and over again about various aspects of maneuver capability or lack there of, and super sonic speed comparisons. It's just not clicking for a number of them because I suspect they are afraid India will buy the American F-35 when that possibility is remote to be quite honest about it. That is where the ideology comes in.

If you don't want me to post here anymore I won't.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

There may have been some reordering of maneuverability requirements on the F-35, but nothing has really changed for the worst compared to representative versions of the aircraft it is replacing. As was discussed during past discussions on the sustained G specification reduction or on other measures the F-35 compares favorably to the aircraft it is replacing in this department while being light years ahead of them when it comes to stealth, sensor fusion, quality and quantity of sensors and MMI.

People get into trouble when they begin comparing the F-35 to an F-16A as if what was right then for the Viper will always be right for an ideal Multi-role fighter. If you look at it, had the viper itself stuck to being the fighter it was designed to be it would have not been very successful decades later. Neither of the three services asked for another Light weight fighter. Like the performance shows, the performance of the F-35 for certain missions resembles a blend of the current block 50 Viper and the Beagle and reflects the current requirements handed down to the designers. You cannot design a fighter in isolation, signature, avionics, maneuverability, upgradability, kinematics all have to be blended together to get the right mix. The only way to achieve the best on each of these compartments is to have unlimited amount of cash which no one really has. The F-22 for example had to sacrifice on interoperability to get the "best of everything" years ahead of everything else within the USAF (No deep Link 16 integration for example). The F-22 also had to loose heavy weapons (2k Bomb) internal carriage, because it was a " not a pound for air to ground" mentality carried over from the F-15 days. The alternative F-15E like upgrade (F-22B) had to totally throw out affordability and some agility out of the window to try to balance range, larger payload with super cruise.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

TSJones wrote:
I'd rather you continued. Debate and insights are more important than group think which really belongs in religion.

BTW, I'm OK with group think in religion.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

TSJones wrote: A number of posters on this forum do not understand for various reasons that the modern jet fighter has shifted. its not about exotic maneuvers and a few minutes of supersonic speed, it's about a combination of EW, clean flight platform, and net centric comm to multiple sources. What we are seeing on the thread are the same arguments over and over again about various aspects of maneuver capability or lack there of, and super sonic speed comparisons. It's just not clicking for a number of them because I suspect they are afraid India will buy the American F-35 when that possibility is remote to be quite honest about it. That is where the ideology comes in.

There are compelling arguments on both sides. You believe the arguments of one side and dismiss the others, pretty much the way your opponents do. Nobody called you names, so there is no reason for you to pass your condescending judgement on them. You have been reported for this many times before, but I have shielded you considering how opinionated everybody is about this subject. But this has gone on for too long.

To post or not to post is your prerogative, but if you continue in this way, you will be warned on the very next instance.

P.S. By the way, don't think that your bad mouthing us on other forums has gone unnoticed either.
member_28714
BRFite

Post by member_28714 »

You talk like the F 35 is a war proven machine. Get real. The F 35 was built to be deployed on AC's and meant to fight wars far away from US shores. Most of the anti F 35 tones are from members who understand that the F 35 will not work for a country that has hostile land borders.

Your BVR magic wont work when opposing air bases are barely 200 km from each other. The F 35 may work for the US. It wont work for many other countries like Japan and Soko. You think the Japs are mad to spend 100 billion on developing their own 5th Gen? Or maybe the Koreans are crazy to be doing the same? This after they have contributed to the F 35 program? You think Australia can deploy the F 35's on which ghost carrier. If those birds fly out from their land bases in Australia, what enemy territory will they reach even assuming fuel pods?

Dreadlocked Mau Mau? You sound like an inbred italian barber from jersey city! watch your mouth jacques.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

You think the Japs are mad to spend 100 billion on developing their own 5th Gen? Or maybe the Koreans are crazy to be doing the same?
So by that Logic, the PAKFA will clearly not work for the IAF since it intends on spending billions on a 5th generation project of its own.

Going back to your points about the F-35 and Japan and Soko, which capability does their air-force possess that the F-35 cannot more effectively replace?
Last edited by brar_w on 22 Oct 2014 17:30, edited 3 times in total.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

You talk like the F 35 is a war proven machine. Get real. The F 35 was built to be deployed on AC's and meant to fight wars far away from US shores. Most of the anti F 35 tones are from members who understand that the F 35 will not work for a country that has hostile land borders.

Your BVR magic wont work when opposing air bases are barely 200 km from each other.
That is what the F-35 was designed for, so why would it not work?

Granted things have moved on the defensive front too. But that is the nature o f that beast.

Have you checked some of the works on the "Pivot" and what the USMC is thinking? What is the big deal with air bases being 200 Kms apart?

Most of the anti-f_35 tone is from people who are stuck in older concepts. Or people (like on BR) that do not read up. One does not have to agree with what the F-35 crowd is saying, but at least read up and try and understand what they are saying, instead of relying on old concepts. Again, what is the big deal of bases that are 200 Kms apart?
member_28714
BRFite

Post by member_28714 »

brar_w wrote:
You think the Japs are mad to spend 100 billion on developing their own 5th Gen? Or maybe the Koreans are crazy to be doing the same?
So by that Logic, the PAKFA will clearly not work for the IAF since it intends on spending billions on a 5th generation project of its own.
precisely, the IAF does not want to be stuck in a situation where the PAKFA goes dud. Hence AMCA.

But more than that, the PAKFA is primarily an interceptor with ground attack roles similar to the Raptor complementing the F 35.

Do the Japs or the Soko's have the raptor? No? Lightbulb? or still dim?

brar_w wrote:
Going back to your points about the F-35 and Japan and Soko, which capability does their air-force possess that the F-35 cannot more effectively replace?
Heard of the F 15 Eagle? Yes, No? Or are you just gonna keep pretending that you just know more?
member_28714
BRFite

Post by member_28714 »

NRao wrote:

Your BVR magic wont work when opposing air bases are barely 200 km from each other.
That is what the F-35 was designed for, so why would it not work?

Granted things have moved on the defensive front too. But that is the nature o f that beast.

Have you checked some of the works on the "Pivot" and what the USMC is thinking? What is the big deal with air bases being 200 Kms apart?

Most of the anti-f_35 tone is from people who are stuck in older concepts. Or people (like on BR) that do not read up. One does not have to agree with what the F-35 crowd is saying, but at least read up and try and understand what they are saying, instead of relying on old concepts. Again, what is the big deal of bases that are 200 Kms apart?

Because you are likely to be within visual range even before your BVR has locked on when you have your land boundaries lined up with Air Bases. What exactly is the F 35 going to do. Hover at Ambala and use its BVR to target Paki aircraft in their territory? Any good LR SAM can accomplish that.

If you dont get a chance to engage in BVR, what is the point of BVR. Which is precisely why I said that when the Americans envisage the F 35 to be taking off from their carriers, BVR is a likely scenario. However this is not a very likely scenario for IAF or other air forces where pilots will be forced into WVR in no time.

Hey man, enough with the older people logic. Your logic was quite apparent when you suggested that the PW 135 be downrated from 190 kn to 110 kn so it works for the AMCA. :roll:
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

What exactly is the F 35 going to do.
The answer to this and such questions have been posted on BR and there are plenty of open source articles addressing them.
Because you are likely to be within visual range even before your BVR has locked on when you have your land boundaries lined up with Air Bases
What you have stated there is very understandable. *But* the F-35 has been designed with that very type of a problem in mind. Which is why I suggest read-up. After you read you may still disagree (and that is fine), but you may not make such/similar arguments.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Do the Japs or the Soko's have the raptor? No? Lightbulb? or still dim?
Are they developing one? Nope, what they are developing at least the south Koreans is a JSF Lite, something closer to the F-16 then to the F-15E that the F-35A is. Japan is doing nothing at the moment. They are assessing their internal R&D and won't be deciding on an aircraft for a new project till perhaps 2018 or later.

Furthermore, have you ever bothered to actually take a look at the type the F-35A is replacing in both Japan and South Korea and what that type performed as a mission? Care to go into what changes that mission would encounter with the introduction of the F-35A?

Australia is making the same decision they made when they went for the affordable and more multi-role Hornet when they made that decision instead of going with the F-15.
Heard of the F 15 Eagle? Yes, No? Or are you just gonna keep pretending that you just know more?
What about the Beagle or the J Eagle? The F-35 is not replacing that aircraft in either the ROKAF or for the Japanese. For the Japanese the F-35 as things stand) replaces the outgoing F-4 fleet and can possibly begin to replace the F-2 fleet through future procurement. Those would be the logical aircraft to replace with the F-35A. If the Japanese wish to still remain a two fighter air-force, they have other options for the F-15 replacement such as a completely in house program or joining the FA-X or NGAD with the USAF. Critical decision periods for both those programs are incidentally around the same time the Japanese are supposed to decide on their plans beyond the technology demonstrator program currently underway. Of course whatever they decide to pursue, would have to be balanced and evaluated with -

* The cost of maintain a high-low mix, compared to essentially buying more F-35's
* The cost of developing a Super Lighting II and saving money on another platform integration
* The value and political capital that exists within Japan to develop an indigenous capability to produce world class fighters

I seriously doubt Japan wishes to be one fighter force, even before the plans to acquire the F-35, they operated a multi-fighter force with the F-4's and particularly the F-2's (Larger Charlie Vipers essentially) and the single mission focused F-15's that they have managed to upgrade. I really don't see the point , OH they don't need to replace the F-4's and F-2's, they just need a fighter to replace the F-15 ASAP so the F-35 is not really the right fighter for them" even though these types made up something like 50% of their fighter fleet.

The South Koreans have more than 200 F-16's and F-4 class fighters that they can replace with the F-35. Of course not all of their F-16's would require replacement soon as they are pushing for substantial upgrades due to the fleet life of their vipers (still young). They'll probably replace the F-5's with a mix of FA-50's and whatever future fighter they develop. The F-15K's will last them a long long time. Its a 16,000 hour air-frame. So there you have it, in both cases (JASDF and ROKAF) the F-35 is replacing a fighter or fighters that performed missions sets that the F-35A itself is optimized to take over. Would the JASDF prefered the raptor? At that time, absolutely. Who that could afford it, wouldn't? A 5th generation fighter platform, in 2000-2005 time-frame would have given Japan a huge tactical advantage for many years to come. Having said that, the Idea the Pacific nations that have partnered with the US are nurturing is one of collaboration and integration (as opposed to simply being interoperable) and this is where a collaborative force of F-35's has a disruptive affect over the vast pacific especially when one factors that it is the center piece for enabling other platform integration such as seamless integration between other manned and unmanned assets such as the UCLASS, Triton, AEGIS and platforms of the future. The F-22 even with the USAF would be lucky to achieve that by the end of next decade.

BTW, I am still waiting to be shown my post where i apparently "abused" you.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/p ... 027ae.html

DOD and Lockheed Martin Announce Principle Agreement on Purchase of F-35s
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The problem is that advocates of the JSF fondly imagine that anti-stealth efforts will be frozen in time. The foll. report indicate sthat "stealth" is no longer a sole magic bullet. With the JSF's well known inability to dogfight,once it loses its BVR advantage,its "kaput"!

(http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2 ... -cant-run/)
In 2008, two analysts at the RAND Corporation, a California think-tank that works closely with the military, programmed a computer simulation to test out the F-35′s fighting ability in a hypothetical air war with China. The results were startling.
“The F-35 is double-inferior,” John Stillion and Harold Scott Perdue concluded in their written summary of the war game, later leaked to the press. The new plane “can’t turn, can’t climb, can’t run,” they warned.
Chinese Radar May Pierce F-35 Stealth Armor: Report

by Brendan McGarry on July 31, 2014

Increasingly sophisticated radar in China and Russia may soon be able to pierce the stealth armor on F-22 and F-35 fighter jets, according to a news report.

The stealth coating on the U.S.-made fifth-generation fighters shields the aircraft from high-frequency radars operating in the Ku, X and C bands and some of the S band, but not from low-frequency systems utilizing L, UHF and VHF wavelengths, according to an article by Dave Majumdar at USNI News.

China and Russia are now working to develop low-frequency radars with more computing power designed to track stealth aircraft with more precision — enough to target them with a missile, according to the report, citing an unnamed former senior U.S. Navy official.

b]“Acquisition and fire control radars are starting to creep down the frequency spectrum,” the official told USNI News. “I don’t see how you long survive in the world of 2020 or 2030 when dealing with these systems if you don’t have the lower frequency coverage.”[/b]

To be sure, the Defense Department is aware of the increasing sophistication of enemy air defenses, known in military parlance as anti-access, area-denial, or A2-AD, environments.

The Pentagon’s latest annual report to Congress on military and security developments in China notes the country is continuing its military build-up and views defense against stealth aircraft and drones as “a growing priority.”

The People’s Liberation Army, or PLA, has long sought to control the flow of information in the event of war to thwart data-hungry adversaries such as the U.S. It considers the strategy of “information dominance” a critical form of defense against countries that it views as “information dependent,” according to previous assessments.

Perhaps not surprisingly, the People’s Liberation Army Navy, or PLAN, sent an uninvited spy ship, probably the type 815 Dongdiao-class intelligence collection vessel Beijixing (pennant number 851), to this year’s Rim of the Pacific exercise, according to an article by Sam LaGrone of USNI News.

China is participating in the event — the world’s largest naval exercise, held off the coast of Hawaii — for the first time this year, with four vessels.

The head of U.S. Pacific Command, Adm. Samuel Locklear, this week described the presence of the surveillance ship as “a little odd,” though it “hasn’t created any difficulties in the exercise,” which ends Friday.
Read more: http://defensetech.org/2014/07/31/chine ... z3HOcUPK2s
Defense.org
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Philip wrote:The problem is that advocates of the JSF fondly imagine that anti-stealth efforts will be frozen in time. The foll. report indicate sthat "stealth" is no longer a sole magic bullet.
The problems with the 'stealth is a sham' advocacy is that stealth designs are currently being developed or in pre-development in seven countries - US, Russia, China, India, Japan, South Korea and Turkey. More if you include UCAV development.

If the F-35 is vulnerable to long wavelength emissions, the PAK FA and J-20/31 are even more so. And for the record, there's no L-band radar in-service or in-development for any rival fighter aircraft in the world.
With the JSF's well known inability to dogfight,once it loses its BVR advantage,its "kaput"!
How many years have you been posting on the topic? Aside from the well reported fact that it outmatches the F-16C in the subsonic regime, have you honestly not figured out how the EODAS and HMDS function, or are you willfully dodging it because it doesn't suit your point of view?
member_28714
BRFite

Post by member_28714 »

NRao wrote:
What exactly is the F 35 going to do.
The answer to this and such questions have been posted on BR and there are plenty of open source articles addressing them.
Because you are likely to be within visual range even before your BVR has locked on when you have your land boundaries lined up with Air Bases
What you have stated there is very understandable. *But* the F-35 has been designed with that very type of a problem in mind. Which is why I suggest read-up. After you read you may still disagree (and that is fine), but you may not make such/similar arguments.
So you fail to answer the questions I posed and instead respond by saying I have to read more. OK.
member_28714
BRFite

Post by member_28714 »

@brar

you are right.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

George wrote:So you fail to answer the questions I posed and instead respond by saying I have to read more. OK.
Why do you think we're upgrading the MiG-29 and Mirage 2000's radar? Why do you think the Tejas and Su-30MKI are being equipped with AESAs? Why did buy the R-27 and R-77, and why are we developing the Astra? Your basic premise that BVR combat isn't applicable to a regional conflict is completely wrong. Not only is BVR combat going to dominate future air warfare, its already been around for a while (read: Gaurav Chibber, VSM, 223 SQ).
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

George wrote: So you fail to answer the questions I posed and instead respond by saying I have to read more. OK.
This thread was started because people did not read what is there on the internet (and of course to poke fun at entities they do not care for).

IF the author of the Vanity Fair article had conducted a simple google search - sitting in his hotel/home - he may have written a totally different article.

The question pertaining to your comment is: Why would I revisit topics already hashed plenty of times? What this plane was designed for (bases being 200 Kms apart, etc), etc, is in various articles and videos (by LM) . Before you post or pose questions you too have a responsibility to read these things. Fulfill your responsibility and then we can move on. By asking me to revisit questions already answered you are failing to perform your responsibility.

That simple.
Philip wrote: The problem is that advocates of the JSF fondly imagine that anti-stealth efforts will be frozen in time. The foll. report indicate sthat "stealth" is no longer a sole magic bullet. With the JSF's well known inability to dogfight,once it loses its BVR advantage,its "kaput"!
: ).

You (and Dave Muzumdar) should have checked the open positions around 2011-12.

It is amazing how far behind the curve people are.
member_28714
BRFite

Post by member_28714 »

NRao wrote:
George wrote: So you fail to answer the questions I posed and instead respond by saying I have to read more. OK.
This thread was started because people did not read what is there on the internet (and of course to poke fun at entities they do not care for).

IF the author of the Vanity Fair article had conducted a simple google search - sitting in his hotel/home - he may have written a totally different article.

The question pertaining to your comment is: Why would I revisit topics already hashed plenty of times? What this plane was designed for (bases being 200 Kms apart, etc), etc, is in various articles and videos (by LM) . Before you post or pose questions you too have a responsibility to read these things. Fulfill your responsibility and then we can move on. By asking me to revisit questions already answered you are failing to perform your responsibility.

That simple.
Philip wrote: The problem is that advocates of the JSF fondly imagine that anti-stealth efforts will be frozen in time. The foll. report indicate sthat "stealth" is no longer a sole magic bullet. With the JSF's well known inability to dogfight,once it loses its BVR advantage,its "kaput"!
: ).

You (and Dave Muzumdar) should have checked the open positions around 2011-12.

It is amazing how far behind the curve people are.
Yes, I get it. Basically you are saying read 200 pages because this debate about the JSF's effectiveness has been settled by wise folks like you on BRF. Awesome.

Like I said if suggesting the F 35's engine as an option for the AMCA is a reflection of that wisdom, I would rather give it a miss and stay ignorant.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

George wrote: I would rather give it a miss and stay ignorant.
Nothing new, par for this thread.
member_28714
BRFite

Post by member_28714 »

Viv S wrote:
George wrote:So you fail to answer the questions I posed and instead respond by saying I have to read more. OK.
Why do you think we're upgrading the MiG-29 and Mirage 2000's radar? Why do you think the Tejas and Su-30MKI are being equipped with AESAs? Why did buy the R-27 and R-77, and why are we developing the Astra? Your basic premise that BVR combat isn't applicable to a regional conflict is completely wrong. Not only is BVR combat going to dominate future air warfare, its already been around for a while (read: Gaurav Chibber, VSM, 223 SQ).

So our AF is readying our birds to do well in BVR conflict. So what exactly is the value add that the F 35 brings that other planes dont have? Slow and fat?

Stop twisting what I said. Either you did not read it or you choose to ignore and respond to some hypothetical assumption of yours.

I said F 35 will work best as a BVR plane, specially for the US as it intends to use it off its AC's just off the coast of puny countries they would like to bully. If the US wants to take on the Russian Flankers on the other hand, they will send in Raptors.

In the Indian context the F 35 is a useless fat bird that guzzles too much fuel and cannot fight a border war when inundated with 100's of Chinese flankers.
member_28714
BRFite

Post by member_28714 »

NRao wrote:
George wrote: I would rather give it a miss and stay ignorant.

Ok, but once again for the benefit of others here, could you kindly rationalize the wise suggestion of derating the PWF 135 for the (twin engine)AMCA.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

George wrote:

Ok, but once again for the benefit of others here, could you kindly rationalize the wise suggestion of derating the PWF 135 for the (twin engine)AMCA.
The F135 is a derivative of the F119. A solution around the same family, incorporating 6th gen tech from the AETD & ADVENT programs can be obtained for the AMCA.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Despite tensions with US, Israel to purchase second batch of F-35 fighter jets
Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon and US Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel finalized the terms of Israel's purchase of a second squadron of F-35 fighter jets in recent days.

The move came after the previous Israeli government decided that the air force may buy up to three F-35 squadrons.

The first batch of F-35 Joint Strike Fighter jets are due in Israel in 2016, and 19 jets will arrive in Israel by 2018. From 2019, the jets that will make up the second squadron are expected to begin arriving.

The purchase of the second squadron is conditional on the approval of the ministerial committee for defense purchases, defense sources said.

The Israel Air Force will set up its first F-35 squadron in Nevatim Airbase in the Negev desert, which currently houses F-16 squadrons and C-130 Hercules transport planes.

The F-35 will ensure Israel’s regional qualitative edge in the first quarter of the 21st century, defense chiefs say.

Israel signed a $2.75 billion deal to purchase a squadron of 19 F-35s from Lockheed Martin in 2012, and received Pentagon approval to purchase an additional 55 platforms
member_28714
BRFite

Post by member_28714 »

Viv S wrote:
George wrote: Ok, but once again for the benefit of others here, could you kindly rationalize the wise suggestion of derating the PWF 135 for the (twin engine)AMCA.
The F135 is a derivative of the F119. A solution around the same family, incorporating 6th gen tech from the AETD & ADVENT programs can be obtained for the AMCA.

well thats not what Nrao said, He wanted a derated F135. An engine that weighs at least 1.8 times the design specification of the AMCA.

I am just pointing out the perceived wisdom that comes with hanging around online forums for too long. Over n Out. Thankfully the IAF is not staffed by internet geniuses.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Britain to confirm first F-35 orders 'within weeks'
Britain on Tuesday announced an agreement in principle with US manufacturer Lockheed Martin for an order for the first of 14 F-35B combat jets, with a formal contract expected "within weeks".

The four Lightning II stealth combat aircraft will operate from both of the Royal Navy's new aircraft carriers and Royal Air Force land bases, with another 10 due to be ordered over the next five years.

The first batch is expected to be delivered in 2016 and will take up station in 2018.

"Today's announcement is a major step forward," said Defence Secretary, Michael Fallon.

"The Lightning II will equip the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force with a highly advanced multi-role stealth combat aircraft," he said.

The planes feature short take off and vertical landing (STOVL) and the latest stealth and intelligence surveillance, target acquisition and reconnaissance (ISTAR) technology.

The British government has long planned to provide its air and naval forces with F-35Bs but has been undecided on how many to buy.

British industrial giants BAE Systems and Rolls-Royce have played a major role in developing the jet, the Pentagon's most expensive ever programme.

Britain already has three F-35s, based in the US, and has ordered a fourth jet, but only for testing and evaluation purposes.

The F-35 should have appeared at this year's Farnborough International Airshow near London, but was grounded by technical problems and could not cross the Atlantic
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

George wrote:So our AF is readying our birds to do well in BVR conflict. So what exactly is the value add that the F 35 brings that other planes dont have? Slow and fat?
You want me explain the utility of stealth in BVR combat?
Stop twisting what I said. Either you did not read it or you choose to ignore and respond to some hypothetical assumption of yours.
'you are likely to be within visual range even before your BVR has locked on'

If you dont get a chance to engage in BVR, what is the point of BVR.

^Your words.

In reality however, combat capability at BVR ranges is critical for every regional air force including the IAF.

I said F 35 will work best as a BVR plane, specially for the US as it intends to use it off its AC's just off the coast of puny countries they would like to bully. If the US wants to take on the Russian Flankers on the other hand, they will send in Raptors.
Now that we've established that its designed to dominate BVR combat, I suggest you do a little reading on the F-35's Distributed Aperture System (DAS), the VSI HMDS and the Aim-9X Blk3, to find out why it'll dominate every dogfight that it gets into.

The US is purchasing 1750 CTOL F-35As vs only 300 F-35Cs. (And the Raptor fleet consists of only 187 fighters.) BTW the JSF program emerged from the USAF-USMC CALF program. The USN was a late entrant in, rather than the driving force for the JSF project.
In the Indian context the F 35 is a useless fat bird that guzzles too much fuel and cannot fight a border war when inundated with 100's of Chinese flankers.
Do you have an actual statistics to back your claim about 'guzzling too much fuel'?

As for what it'll do against the PLAAF - it can loiter radar silent in enemy airspace using its ESM & EO systems to pass on tracking data on dozens of Flankers to supporting missile platforms. Or alternately, loiter at range employing the second most powerful fighter radar in the world (after the F-22's APG-77v1) to forward operating Tejas (or Mirage/MiG) fighters, leading to R-77/Astra barrages potentially killing dozens of Flankers.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

George wrote:well thats not what Nrao said, He wanted a derated F135. An engine that weighs at least 1.8 times the design specification of the AMCA.

I am just pointing out the perceived wisdom that comes with hanging around online forums for too long. Over n Out. Thankfully the IAF is not staffed by internet geniuses.
Semantics. By deration he was obviously referring to a scaled down product not thrust reduction around the same hardware. His reference was basically to a F119 derivative.