Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Armed Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by shiv »

Off topic, but I noticed enhanced security at some seemingly "low risk" Army installations in Bangalore - especially after the Mehran attack in Karachi, Shitistan. Sand bags placements and visible gun toting guards. Recently I noticed that the gun toting guards are no longer wearing the standard army cap that they had - they are all wearing combat helmets. This change has occurred in the last 15-30 days to my knowledge.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ Also noticed more MP-5 carrying CISF folks in even Tier-2 airports.

Used to spot them only in IGI/T-3 earlier.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^Shiv, there is a periodic assessment of security in all military installations. In addition to that, Intelligence agencies also pass information in case their is specific threat or heightened threat scenario. So, if out of blue, you see soldiers wearing combat uniform with full paraphernalia and army trucks (QRT-Quick Reaction Team) with 8-10 soldiers patrolling the perimeter of cantonments/installations, it could be because of specific inputs or general alert. Troops stand down after this alert phase is over. For example, the recent activity you saw could be because of Assam riots and general unrest in Bangalore + the anniversary of attack on twin towers. But I must admit that in my wanderings across cantonments across the country with Dad, the general level of security has gone up many folds.
jai
BRFite

Post by jai »

As far as AFB's are concerned - another factor is dual usage ones - which share facilities with their civil counterparts - Pune, Jodhpur, Palam etc. Igi has thousands of people - airline staff, contractors, airport staff etc etc all over it 24*7, and while it may not have fancy fighters, the AFB is still the home to VIP Sqn and it's uber costly newly inducted equipment and there is more coming in- security must be a head ache for IAF. Don't know about the security of the ARC apron - it is highly visible and close to raised highway/periphery public roads.

Right now there are terror alerts declared - htnews carried a story yesterday on high alert as recent intel suggests Lashkar is gearing for multi city attacks - maybe that accounts for the higher security presence in Bangalore and other places - to top that people must be nervous after the ISRO tresspass incident.
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

i dont have a personal profile on fb except my photography page through which people can follow what all i've been shooting.
So, some of my other fb friends emailed me this screenshot:

I'm in BOM, all you North India folks pls try to go for this.
The DEL spotters are on it :wink:
You will be able to go on the ramp at Hindon with most of VayuSena heavy metal.

We're very unfortunate to have some absolutely stupid, STUPID 'laws' in regards to something that is Incredible & Awe-Inspiring beyond description ⇒ Examples
Please take your cameras along!
Apne desh mey APNE a/c's ka photo nikalo, HAQ SE!
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:screenshot:

Updated the URL ^
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

Pics of BMP-2 in Ladakh - posted on BCM Touring

Scroll down a bit within the post.
VishalJ
BRFite

[b]01/10/12 - Westland/Yeovil[/b]

Post by VishalJ »

01/10/12 - Westland/Yeovil

Some more VayuSena AW101s from Rich ⇒ http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=56454775@N06&q=indian
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

September 26, 2012 | Bangalore, HAL

Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) Dhruv

VishalJ
BRFite

Airforce Day Dress-Rehearsal | Hindon - Today

Post by VishalJ »

Airforce Day Dress-Rehearsal | Hindon - Today

The refurbished IAF Tiger Moth Flies!! Image

Image Photos © Shiv & MoD

Paanwala tells me the Harvard is next.
VishalJ
BRFite

Happy 80th Airforce Day VayuSena!!

Post by VishalJ »

Happy 80th Airforce Day VayuSena!! | नभः स्पृशं दीप्तम् | Touch the Skies with Glory!!

I can scarcely believe my eyes, at the end of the year 2012, the IAF/anything sarkari has FINALLY crawled up to a scratchy 720p

VayuSena 80th Anniversary - Official Promotional Video 2012

Last edited by VishalJ on 08 Oct 2012 13:56, edited 2 times in total.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Is the Tiger Moth the one which I used to see hanging from that building in Safdurjung Airport??? :shock: That one had a silver colour scheme though.
MN Kumar
BRFite

Post by MN Kumar »

The officer getting off form sleep during the initial part of the video looks like Flight Lieutenant K Nachiketa of the Kargil fame. He was with the transport fleet.
An old article in The Tribune
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

08-Oct-2012 Test
X-post
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

80th Airforce Day - The IAFs Miraj
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

dinesha wrote:80th Airforce Day - The IAFs Miraj
Jags not Mirage
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

dinesha wrote:08-Oct-2012 Test
X-post
Beautiful... doesn't the paint job look different? is it because of the Vertical launch from a ship? or is it a new variant?
VishalJ
BRFite

IAF Day

Post by VishalJ »

NAKBji's Kadak JeepSee - Phor Ishtaar Babi ! Image

merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Nice. But IIRC, these cannot be used on public roads without covering up the stars as per court orders.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

I saw a white sedan earlier this week with similar number plate but 2 stars
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

The orders prohibiting star plate is for unauthorised usage only. Officers of the army and their equivalents in Navy and Air Force are authorised to use star plates and flag, as per their rank and appointment. Para 773 and 774, Regulations for the Army refers...

http://indianarmy.nic.in/Site/RTI/rti/D ... 17/306.htm
Ajit.C
BRFite

Post by Ajit.C »

I thought the rule was for red beacons on civilian cars. Not for the stars and flags of armed forces cars.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

nelson wrote:The orders prohibiting star plate is for unauthorised usage only. Officers of the army and their equivalents in Navy and Air Force are authorised to use star plates and flag, as per their rank and appointment. Para 773 and 774, Regulations for the Army refers...

So what is an unauthorized use? I have seen many black Amby's and other cars having the star plate covered with a black rexine based cover.
VishalJ
BRFite

Garud

Post by VishalJ »

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

merlin wrote: So what is an unauthorized use? I have seen many black Amby's and other cars having the star plate covered with a black rexine based cover.
I think the stars are covered up when someone other than the person for whom the stars are intended is using the car. The vehicle is probably reserved for the starred officer's official and limited personal use. The stars are for official use. The man may attend a function in an unofficial capacity or have the car pick someone up. The stars are covered for that (I guess)
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

merlin wrote:
nelson wrote:The orders prohibiting star plate is for unauthorised usage only. Officers of the army and their equivalents in Navy and Air Force are authorised to use star plates and flag, as per their rank and appointment. Para 773 and 774, Regulations for the Army refers...

So what is an unauthorized use? I have seen many black Amby's and other cars having the star plate covered with a black rexine based cover.
By unauthorised usage, i meant, star plates used by persons in whatever capacity but are not authorised the same as per regulations. Particularly in the civilian domain, many officials of whatever service/ appointment use star plates that look similar to the ones in Armed Forces vehicles/ staff cars the same is prohibited in law.

As long as the person who is entitled to wear the stars is in the car, the stars can be visible. The moment he/ she gets out of the vehicle the driver covers the star plates and removes the flag. Also, the star plates remain covered when it is being used for others, as Shiv said.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I once stole an Admiral's flag from a car parked at the navy ball in Colaba, Uttarkhand in 1970. I preserved it for nearly 40 years and then gave it to a retired naval officer.
member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

shiv wrote:I once stole an Admiral's flag from a car parked at the navy ball in Colaba, Uttarkhand in 1970. I preserved it for nearly 40 years and then gave it to a retired naval officer.

:D Ah, Mr. Shiv, its hard to believe that there was a time when you weren't as wise and worldly as you are today.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Which is the gun the Garud is holding?
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
CTAR-21
RajD
BRFite

Post by RajD »

shiv wrote:I once stole an Admiral's flag from a car parked at the navy ball in Colaba, Uttarakhand in 1970.
Pulling the leg, sir?
Regards.
Rajendra
VishalJ
BRFite

VayuSena IL76 Gajraj K3078 - No.25 Squadron Himalayan Eagles

Post by VishalJ »

I had gone spotting yesterday to nail this, what we also got was something even better > http://j.mp/SWPB0S

It came in at 1745, normally it heads to the cargo bay, dumps its cargo (engines running) & turns around in ~40 mins.
The light was fading but we all stayed put as there's nothing quite like this Bull Elephant revving-up, the sound makes ever every single hair in your body stand on end!

But K3078 - No.25 Squadron Himalayan Eagles stayed put for well over an hour.
The heat, mosquitoes & other things made waiting difficult but the word was out & a few BOM Spotters hit Juhu Beach to just experience its Low-Rider departure, departed just after i left at 7:30pm :twisted: :twisted:

Checkout the Red Burnings Engines | PLS SEE IN 720p ONLEE

Nick_S
BRFite

Post by Nick_S »

Just curious, how much time do you spend in a week or month spotting planes?

Sounds like a great hobby; especially after you get those expensive cameras & lenses.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Nick_S wrote:Just curious, how much time do you spend in a week or month spotting planes?

Sounds like a great hobby; especially after you get those expensive cameras & lenses.
Nick plane spotting does not require a camera. I became a plane spotter decades ago with no camera. All it requires is a desire to spot planes. That means rushing out and looking at the sky every time you hear an aircraft. But my desire was restricted to military aircraft and I still don't care for civil aircraft spotting and I am not at all turned on by civil a/c photos.
Nick_S
BRFite

Post by Nick_S »

Oh, I do that too, but the thing with taking pics is that you end up capturing the moment much better. Plus you can share those pics.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Nick_S wrote:Just curious, how much time do you spend in a week or month spotting planes?
Thing aren't the greatest in this country when it comes to spotting and so a lot of factors come into play. Read This

As world airports & communities move forward embracing & encouraging the already Mega-Popular hobby, Babus here (still stuck in the Stone Age) regress further into outright STUPIDITY.
The world's most security crazy country (Israel) - Tel Aviv has 2 Big distinct spotter groups.
Checkout what they shot last week. Heck, spotters even get their wedding photos done rampside

It depends really. Whenever that calling in your heart gets stronger, we go..........

Also when there's something new/exciting.
Like last month was a major spotting extravaganza due to Air India's 787 DREAM)LINER's arrival, i missed all of that as i was shooting it from the tarmac

This month is big because of the Hajj season, Saudi leases some insane a/c's from the world over. Like this one shot by my friend yesterday, read the remarks.
Nick_S wrote:Sounds like a great hobby

IMO, its THE Greatest Hobby after Flying ⇒ Examples
Nick_S wrote:especially after you get those expensive cameras & lenses.
I guess :wink:
shiv wrote:Nick plane spotting does not require a camera. I became a plane spotter decades ago with no camera. All it requires is a desire to spot planes. That means rushing out and looking at the sky every time you hear an aircraft. But my desire was restricted to military aircraft......
^ +1
Shiv you should subscribe to ⇒ PlanesTV on YouTube they'd fill your appetite aplenty!
Nick_S wrote:the thing with taking pics is that you end up capturing the moment much better. Plus you can share those pics.
ashdivay
BRFite

Post by ashdivay »

Nick_S wrote:especially after you get those expensive cameras & lenses.

Somebody's got lot of $$$$ ! :rotfl: :lol: