Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Armed Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Hiten
BRFite

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by Hiten »

the Harpoons as seen from bottom

PAK-FA pics from its performance during RuAF's 100 year celebrations

http://www.aame.in/2012/08/t-50-pak-fa- ... forms.html

photographer's album, though only low-res uploaded

http://fotkidepo.ru/?id=user:401381
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

Hiten wrote:the Harpoons as seen from bottom
what are the 2 black round shapes at the center fuselage? if seen upside down, it resembles to eyes and nose of a human :)
single similar round can be seen at the tail. also wingtips seems to be modified withe respect to commercial version. will some expert explain what will be the effect of modified wingtips on performance?
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

adityadange wrote:
Hiten wrote:the Harpoons as seen from bottom
what are the 2 black round shapes at the center fuselage? if seen upside down, it resembles to eyes and nose of a human :)
single similar round can be seen at the tail. also wingtips seems to be modified withe respect to commercial version. will some expert explain what will be the effect of modified wingtips on performance?
that's the wheel base
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

adityadange wrote: what are the 2 black round shapes at the center fuselage? if seen upside down, it resembles to eyes and nose of a human :)
Not an expert, but I think those are similar to the 'winglets' on the Boeing 737's that reduce drag and improve lift.

Edit: Adding a link to some information on this: http://www.b737.org.uk/winglets.htm
Last edited by Shameek on 25 Aug 2012 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

what is the max pylons (config) for the 737s?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Shameek wrote: Edit: Adding a link to some information on this: http://www.b737.org.uk/winglets.htm
That one refers to (it can add up to some 7% in distance) (and is older than the Wright Bros design!!!):

The P-8 has a raked wing design:

More:

2005 :: Boeing Alters P-8A MMA Wing Design

Airbus has wintip "fence"s:

dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

Why is the water being sprayed, to clean the aircraft or for ceremonial purposes ?
Man she looks beautiful :D
Shalav
BRFite

Post by Shalav »

Welcome home to first aircraft of type.
Aditya Watts
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Aditya Watts »

aniket wrote:Why is the water being sprayed, to clean the aircraft or for ceremonial purposes ?
Man she looks beautiful :D
It's for ceremonial purposes; usually for inauguration or for example when a captain retires. They also do this for boats.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

^ Its called a Water Canon Salute a.k.a. Shower-of-Affection just like a Ceremonial Guard of Honour

Mumbai & Delhi see a lot of those, usually when a new airline is starting a service or operating a new a/c, the inaugural flight will get that ^

I just witnessed one yesterday when i had gone to shoot the First 787 Dreamliner Flight into Mumbai :wink:

Here's my photo of ze A380 getting one at Hyderabad:

Image Image Image
Riza Zaman
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Riza Zaman »

Amitabh wrote: As I look at this picture, every ounce of my ingrained Hindu belief (mostly about preserving hierarchy) screams out the following: Why is a cop wearing a red beret?!

Are SF folks are cool with JKP wearing red berets or there a subtle shade distinction that escapes me?

Punjab Police Commandos also wear maroon berets and turbans ... and surprise, the Sikh ones have beards too! I find it rather hilarious that some of have the freedom to criticize those who are in harm's way while we are safely behind our computers.

On a side note, congrats to Punjab Police's 4th Cdo. Bat. for inducting its first woman commandos.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

I had seen these images a few days ago on StupidBook but had no clue whose those were.
Shiv just found them & same dillema. Anyways, pls enjoy Desi Babu's Under-Investigation/Pimped-Up Ride in Uniform

Edit: I googled some more managed to contact & confirm the Photographer. Rich Pittman
VishalJ
BRFite

Tejas

Post by VishalJ »

My Latest Photo:
Group Captain Suneet Krishna re-establishing contact with Terra Firma > http://www.airliners.net/photo/2156894/L/

More Tejas/LCAs http://vishal.jolapara.in/2011/02/16/hal-tejas/
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

Jaybhatt
BRFite

Post by Jaybhatt »

dinesha wrote:Image
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Any idea of the date of this photograph ?

Every time I see a photo of this intrepid hero, I pay my respects to him and all others in the Indian armed forces who have laid down their lives to ensure our freedom and safety.
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

^^^ No idea but yesterday (9th Sept) was Captain's birthday..
one more
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

^^ which gun is that?
viveks
BRFite

Post by viveks »

Jaybhatt wrote:
dinesha wrote:Image
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Any idea of the date of this photograph ?

Every time I see a photo of this intrepid hero, I pay my respects to him and all others in the Indian armed forces who have laid down their lives to ensure our freedom and safety.
Man...people in WWII would be really nuts...imagine pointing that thing in front of so many people and then brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......heheheh...my respects as well to those in front of the gun.
Indrajit
BRFite

Post by Indrajit »

That's DShK,this one seems to be a Chinese version.
Amitabh
BRFite

Post by Amitabh »

Riza Zaman wrote:
Amitabh wrote: As I look at this picture, every ounce of my ingrained Hindu belief (mostly about preserving hierarchy) screams out the following: Why is a cop wearing a red beret?!

Are SF folks are cool with JKP wearing red berets or there a subtle shade distinction that escapes me?
Punjab Police Commandos also wear maroon berets and turbans ... and surprise, the Sikh ones have beards too! I find it rather hilarious that some of have the freedom to criticize those who are in harm's way while we are safely behind our computers.
Riza, not sure why you think I would have a problem with beards. Mine was a legitimate question about red berets put in a sardonic way (which does not translate well on the Internet so I can understand your taking it literally).
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

-Vivek
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

^^^
Spyder? Wasn't it supposed to be on Tatra trucks?

--Ashish
aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

I think this is TATA Motors way of showing that their products can replace imports and that they are compatible with the weapon system of the IAF.
Either way it looks beautiful.
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

vivek_ahuja wrote:Image
-Vivek
nice Pic... we need hundreds of these for both IA and IAF... have we inducted a regiment till date?
member_23667
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_23667 »

^^Do we have these SAM ?
it clearly have TATA written in front.What happened to Tatra ?
member_23370
BRFite

Post by member_23370 »

Why not Akash mounted on these instead of the trailer arrangement?
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Sept 5th 2012, RNAS Yeovilton

Image Image Image

The rare VayuSena Tu-124

DEL VayuSena Apron

And NO, That 707 does not fly (as you can make-out from its stored state), the airworthy RAW 707 isnt pictured in the photo.

A few of my DEL Spotter friends have shot that a/c on short-finals
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Vishal, is this the Palam AF station apron? Where is the AF museum hangar wrt this pic?
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

^ Looks like Palam, the AF Museam hangar should be ahead of the hangar (not pictured here), down the road
VishalJ
BRFite

VayuSena Merlins/AgustaWestland AW101s at Somerset

Post by VishalJ »

On 24 September 2012 22:42,
Rich Pittman wrote:

Hi Vishal

Sorry for the late reply but I managed to photo another airframe Today.
My website now has a page for them :) http://www.vlnphotography.co.uk/indian_ ... rlins.html

I will try and get some more photos in the coming Months.

I rather they were fully marked without the British reg :)

Regards Rich
jai
BRFite

Post by jai »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:^ Looks like Palam, the AF Museam hangar should be ahead of the hangar (not pictured here), down the road
This is the ARC Apron at IGI Delhi, not IAF Palam.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

jai wrote:
Vishal Jolapara wrote:^ Looks like Palam, the AF Museam hangar should be ahead of the hangar (not pictured here), down the road
IAF base security needs to be ramped up substantially. That picture shows how easy it might be for a team of saboteurs to disable/destroy the aircraft parked on the apron just before the country is attacked (open road on the left and single fencing protecting the aircraft). Same thing I saw at Pune also: no security worthy of its name (barbed wire fence and single manned towers with single INSAS rifle) that is capable of stopping a determined attack into the base.

Just remember, for all the radars and high tech toys we may buy, if the enemy can destroy them on the ground just before the shit hits the fan, we are done for.

Next time, the PAF may not need to launch a conventional preemptive strike to try and take out the IAF on the ground. Their paid bearded bunnies (or Paki SF behaving like bearded bunnies) might be able to wreak havoc if we don't take this seriously enough.

Kamra etc were amateurs and they still managed to take out an AEW bird. Mehran was the same. Camp Bastion was suggested to have Paki SF assistance and they took out 6 harriers (6 more than those destroyed in the air). Imagine if they were trained SF then how bad the results could have been...

-Vivek
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

jai wrote:
I thought the ARC area was part of AF station Palam, rather than IGI Delhi? :-?
pentaiah
BRFite

Post by pentaiah »

Misraji wrote:^^^
Spyder? Wasn't it supposed to be on Tatra trucks?

--Ashish
just remove the R its all TATA now.

I posted a picture of that as a part of indigenisation? notice TATA on the driver and driver side passenger windows

jai
BRFite

Post by jai »

IAF base security needs to be ramped up substantially. That picture shows how easy it might be for a team of saboteurs to disable/destroy the aircraft parked on the apron just before the country is attacked (open road on the left and single fencing protecting the aircraft). Same thing I saw at Pune also: no security worthy of its name (barbed wire fence and single manned towers with single INSAS rifle) that is capable of stopping a determined attack into the base.

Just remember, for all the radars and high tech toys we may buy, if the enemy can destroy them on the ground just before the shit hits the fan, we are done for.

Next time, the PAF may not need to launch a conventional preemptive strike to try and take out the IAF on the ground. Their paid bearded bunnies (or Paki SF behaving like bearded bunnies) might be able to wreak havoc if we don't take this seriously enough.

Kamra etc were amateurs and they still managed to take out an AEW bird. Mehran was the same. Camp Bastion was suggested to have Paki SF assistance and they took out 6 harriers (6 more than those destroyed in the air). Imagine if they were trained SF then how bad the results could have been...

-Vivek[/quote]

This is also the most visible - there is an elevated national highway over looking the set up barely 500 meters away too. For years the public has been stopping at the jumbo point to see planes take off and land - though they have raised the walls now and cops if around - will chase you away if you stop, but now you get a birds eye view from the elevated highway !

Inside the airport complex the the afb shares one runway with the igi - and yes, there is no separation from igi along the entire runway length as many people taking off from this runway may have noticed. In terms of security, the less said the better, perhaps the authorities are waiting for something to happen - like in all other security matters.
anand_sankar
BRFite

Post by anand_sankar »

Airbase security is a function of base location, value of assets on base and threat perception. What is happening in Pakistan or Afghanistan is not a yardstick for us.

There are protocols in place for each base based on the above three factors. Pune and southwards are the bases with least risks. As a person who has visited facilities in the north-east, the valley and the western front, I can say we are well versed on how to protect our bases.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

^^^ pune also has plenty of security. just try and get a close look at the flightline and see what happens
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

all passenger airlines make an announcements that photography is prohibited on pune airport.
P Chitkara
BRFite

Post by P Chitkara »

Pune happens to be a major AFB first and civilian airport later. Threat perception is directly proportional to the value of assets which explains high security there and lesser at IGI.