Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Armed Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by shiv »

I think I was in the UK when Rajiv Gandhi rescued PM Margaret Thatcher's government by ordering this Westland junk.

But seeing the shells lined up in Juhu surprises me. At least they can be distributed over children's parks all over the country so kids can see what the inside of a helo looks like.
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

shiv wrote:I think I was in the UK when Rajiv Gandhi rescued PM Margaret Thatcher's government by ordering this Westland junk.

But seeing the shells lined up in Juhu surprises me. At least they can be distributed over children's parks all over the country so kids can see what the inside of a helo looks like.
That will be equivalent of invoking public memory of an unpleasant history. If they can hold off bofors for no legitimate reason.... they care less about junk choppers
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Thanks Surya.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

shiv

sensible idea - as kids we used to be fascinated by the silly concreate plane at santa cruz -

the junk helos could have been put to better use than rotting like that
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

^^Thanks for the HR pics. Which is the sniper rifle in the second pic. Is it SSG 69? I think its about time to get an upgrade on the Sniper rifle for active use.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

From the above links, could anyone point out to UK snobs how thier Aid was used.
India bought 21 Westland 30s in 1985 after Margaret Thatcher persuaded Rajiv Gandhi, then prime minister, to ignore the advice of his aviation experts, who were against the sale. The money came out of Britain's aid budget and was given to India on condition it bought the helicopters.
The 14-seater Westland 30s proved to be highly unreliable and a commercial disaster. Soon after their arrival in India in 1987 two crashed - one in the north Indian state of Jammu, and another in Nagaland killing 10 people. They proved to be unsuited to the tropical climate, needed constant servicing and repairs, and were flown only sporadically.

In 1991 the helicopters were withdrawn from service on safety grounds. Two years later, after obtaining permission from the British government under the original 1985 "sale" agreement, Pawan Hans invited global tenders for the Westland 30s. But no one wanted to pay the £1.9m reserve price. Eventually AES Aerospace emerged as sole bidder. So far it has paid £450,000, half the sale price.
Since the helicopters' purchase price was paid for using British aid, the Indian government is obliged to return the £900,000 to the UK's department for international development.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

-
First C-17 Transport Aircraft Of The Indian Air Force [IAF] Takes To The Air
http://www.aame.in/2013/01/first-c-17-t ... ndian.html
-
misc IAF pics
http://www.aame.in/2013/01/3-iaf-mirage ... lying.html
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Breaking News: NAKB Smiled! (or ~something like that)
Indian Air Force chief NAK Browne meets Israeli Chief of General Staff Lt Gen Benjamin Gantz in Tel Aviv today.

SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

WoW Indian Sniper( :?:) in camo. 8)

Agni-V mock up for Republic Parade.
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

NSG Commandos

Indrajit
BRFite

Post by Indrajit »

Good to see the new gear,Helmet,ballistic glasses,elbow& knee pads,new boots,upgraded MP-5 with sights. 8)
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

sagar

source please?
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

about the sniper in camo > I have my doubts that is an Indian army picture.

The Gun looks like a shotgun more than a sniper rifle. The camo (with the baseball style cap) looks like something an american hunter/weekend warrior would wear.

But i could be wrong...
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

^^^
Carries no sight, no bipod could be this one Remington 700P. In which case it is not a military issue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:En_Remmy_700pss.JPG

or

This one (less likely) M-40 (perhaps even M 24) in which case it is USMC issue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M-40A3.jpg

Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

rkhanna wrote:about the sniper in camo > I have my doubts that is an Indian army picture.

The Gun looks like a shotgun more than a sniper rifle. The camo (with the baseball style cap) looks like something an american hunter/weekend warrior would wear.

But i could be wrong...
+1. Agree, looks more like hunter suit used in US. If I am not wrong than the surrounding trees and leaves are more belong to western countries (colder places) than India (I am unaware of their existence in J&K).

-Ankit
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

I could not see the pictures.. may be it is these ones..?

vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

NSG@Delhi
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

Prithwiraj wrote:I always asked this question to myself... I think end of the day it is just a fad...some kind of mythical power projection for ordinary junta....what can be the operation reason? how will they even communicate over the radio during an operation with such a costume of their face?

Prithwiraj,

The Balaclava serves many uses, a part of the reasons is to protect your identity both externally and internally especially among SF guys on deputation at NSG. There are other uses to and i will list them:

1. It protects your face and neck during a firefight from rounds going off. Anti-Terror units will operate in confined spaces in close proximity to each other, rounds often bounce around and distract you from your own and team's weapons.

2. The masks are also fire-retardant thus offer some degree of protection to the face and hair. When a team make a dynamic entry into an structure, the amount of concrete debris flying around is nothing to be scoffed at.

3. SF teams typically wear bone and throat mic strapped on, thus these can be easily worn over a balaclava.
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

sarabpal.s wrote:
sum wrote:^^ and why is it a surprise??
there no restrictions,technical they can't restrict, but un officially there is .

any body can find any reference picture Sikh in nsg or spg other than this than u understood why I am surprised
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

vaibhav.n wrote:
Prithwiraj wrote:I always asked this question to myself... I think end of the day it is just a fad...some kind of mythical power projection for ordinary junta....what can be the operation reason? how will they even communicate over the radio during an operation with such a costume of their face?

Prithwiraj,

The Balaclava serves many uses, a part of the reasons is to protect your identity both externally and internally especially among SF guys on deputation at NSG. There are other uses to and i will list them:

1. It protects your face and neck during a firefight from rounds going off. Anti-Terror units will operate in confined spaces in close proximity to each other, rounds often bounce around and distract you from your own and team's weapons.

2. The masks are also fire-retardant thus offer some degree of protection to the face and hair. When a team make a dynamic entry into an structure, the amount of concrete debris flying around is nothing to be scoffed at.

3. SF teams typically wear bone and throat mic strapped on, thus these can be easily worn over a balaclava.
Thank you so much .. this is the kind of answers which makes BRF so great..I somehow don't like people passing off smart aleck comments about other's observation and opinions instead of giving a proper educated answer. .. typically I have seen Mexican anti-drug units wearing mask for fear of reprisal from drug cartels....same goes to forces engaged in internal conflicts..

have not seen much for special forces engaged in anti-terrorism activities including US special forces deployed in Afghanistan..

Don't you think SPG folks need to protect their identity more than anyone else as they can be easily compromised by someone who wants to infiltrate the force and cause bodily damage to country's leadership? Then why do we see their faces?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Ankit Desai wrote:
rkhanna wrote:about the sniper in camo > I have my doubts that is an Indian army picture.

But i could be wrong...
+1. Agree, looks more like hunter suit used in US. If I am not wrong than the surrounding trees and leaves are more belong to western countries (colder places) than India (I am unaware of their existence in J&K).

-Ankit
Also it is a lousy pose for a sniper - chances of a miss are much higher in that pose unless at close range. At close range one shot and everyone will know there is a sniper about.
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

[quote="SagarAg"]WoW Indian Sniper( :?:) in camo. 8)

This is a cameo by realtree camouflage pattern (http://www.realtree.com).....
there is a lot of mis-information in the facebook fan page of Indian Army...

Following are some more pics of camo by realtree...

rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

SagarAg wrote:Why are their faces hidden in monkey cap? :-?
The word is Balaclava...
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Prithwiraj wrote:I always asked this question to myself... I think end of the day it is just a fad...some kind of mythical power projection for ordinary junta....what can be the operation reason?
Military personnel wear balaclavas as flash masks. Flash masks are a very common piece of military equipment. It is a standard headgear for gunners & crew during action stations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-flash_gear
The purpose of anti-flash gear is to provide protection to the head, neck, face and hands from short-duration flame exposure and heat
In Close Quarter Combat, automatic weapons with high rpm generate quite a lot of heat & flashes. They eject very hot cartridges at rapid rate that may hit one’s buddy at close quarters & injure him. Flash burns are very painful - maybe Shiv can explain flash burns better.

Check these pictures
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_Na ... h_Gear.jpg
http://www.cjoc.forces.gc.ca/potd/orig/ ... 016-09.JPG
Prithwiraj wrote: I somehow don't like people passing off smart aleck comments
Don’t you think this comment of yours very aptly applies to yourself & your earlier comment?
Prithwiraj wrote:I think end of the day it is just a fad...some kind of mythical power projection for ordinary junta
Prithwiraj wrote:have not seen much for special forces engaged in anti-terrorism activities including US special forces deployed in Afghanistan
Because they operate mostly in open areas.

Many members have spoken about concealing identities. No Indian service personnel will ever hide his face in his country. Izzat is paramount for a soldier/sailor/airman.
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

vaibhav.n wrote:

Thanks for the answer I was looking for. 8)
rohitvats wrote:
The word is Balaclava...
Good to know the technical term. :) Wiki mentions that it is commonly referred to as monkey caps in India. (though Wiki is not something to rely upon). :!:
Prithwiraj wrote:
This is a cameo by realtree camouflage pattern (http://www.realtree.com).....
there is a lot of mis-information in the facebook fan page of Indian Army...
Haha nice find Prithwiraj ji..even I was a little skeptical about the pikture.
Prithwiraj wrote:Before raising your usual secular voice and shutting down someone who had a valid question... kindly read an article ... the veracity of which needs to proved however sarabpal does raise a question which can not be so readily dismissed...

Manmohan Singh Can't Have A Sikh Bodyguard

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?233089
This article is dated 2006. I think we have come a long way since then in terms of structure and capabilities of NSG.
Raja Bose wrote:1st :(( :(( about Scooter helmets, now :(( :(( about "Monkey caps" followed by :-? :-? about why NSG commandos need to be masked? The Scooter Helmet debate has surely progressed! :mrgreen:
:lol:
IN still uses the scooter helmet. :mrgreen:
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

Tejas LSP-8 (Tarmak007) 8) :D
IA Mountain Division

Agni-V
varunalh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by varunalh »

^^^^^

Looks like there has been some major modification again.....The air scoop at the tail root which was present in other lsps is not seen in this one.
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

The wing is a beauty
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

varunalh wrote:^^^^^

Looks like there has been some major modification again.....The air scoop at the tail root which was present in other lsps is not seen in this one.
you are right...here is one of the previous one

manum
BRFite

Post by manum »

Scoop seems to be there...air inlet size reduced drastically...
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

The scoop for the APU was moved. Some time back. Do not recall why, but they had provided a reason.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

^^^ Wave drag
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Edwards AFB:

Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

re balaclavas and monkeys - the name comes from the battle of balaclava during the anglo-french campaign against russia in the crimea in the mid 19th century. it was extremely cold, so troops started wearing such caps. the name has stuck through its usage in british military.

today in britain on a very cold day you might hear someone say "its brass monkeys out there!" - meaning its really cold. that is a short form of "its cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey" - which sounds very chilling - however the origin is - during the crimean war - cannon balls were stacked on a device made of brass called a monkey. when it got really cold, the moisture around the cannon balls would freeze and the balls topple off from the stack

I don't think that monkey cap derives from that root, but more probably from giving the wearer the appearance of a monkey
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

^^ <OT> There are several stories on the origin of the phrase.

One is that the conical device used to store cannon balls and known as a brass monkey, was deployed on RN ships, and the phrase derives from before the Crimean war. But as you stated the phrase itself came about because of cannon balls freezing off the brass monkeys in extreme cold.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/cold ... onkey.html
</OT>
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

This page is only for pictures. Plain text posts will be deleted at will.