Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Armed Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Amit J
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by Amit J »

The guns should used for training purposes to simulate live fire situations without the risk of some one actually getting shot. Perhaps they shoot paint pellets ? not sure. The mounted guns are Machine Guns arent they ?
Indrajit
BRFite

Post by Indrajit »

There's nothing to be ashamed of ,it's for learning about each other's tech,gears etc,what's called interoperability.
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

Sir tech, weapons, techniques sharing is perfectaly fine and one of the major purpose of such exercise; but IMO sharing of gear (read clothes, accessories and not weapons) does not have that great factor in increasing interoperability + i believe we can afford such things so why to loan it... they don't Loan our gear when they come to India :)
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

i dont agree. with sharing gears. if troops try out other's clothes, accessories then they can provide inputs like how comfertable they are to wear/use, their strong points/ weaknesses etc. this data can then be used to procure new gear or customize them as per our convinience.
lets take example of bulletproof vest. if we try it out we can know how good it is in terms of weight, ease of movement after wearing it, ease of wear or remove, at which place it is weaker/stronger.
now if it found really good then we can order it or develop our own. in case enemy is wearing it in war we can know where to aim to inflict maximum damage.
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

Agree on that... didn't thought on above lines
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

guns firing blanks still eject high velocity gasses and particles from the nozzle - which can hurt or blind anyone who happens to be hit by it (typically within 2-3m) - i believe the yellow caps are to prevent that blasting effect, i imagine particularly useful for CQB training
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

adityadange wrote:What is the yellow box attached at the tip of gun in yudh abhyas photos? and why?
Lalmohan wrote:guns firing blanks still eject high velocity gasses and particles from the nozzle - which can hurt or blind anyone who happens to be hit by it (typically within 2-3m) - i believe the yellow caps are to prevent that blasting effect, i imagine particularly useful for CQB training
Yes the yellow thing is a blank firing adapter.

While it does helps in improving safety by diverting hot gases to the side, it's main purpose is to keep the reload mechanism of automatic firearms working.

Automatic firearms use the high pressure built behind a bullet to cycle; therefore they will stop after firing a blank bullet and will have to be manually cycled. Blank firing adapters create a restriction in the path of the gas flow thereby generating the required pressure in the barrel to maintain auto and semi-auto operation.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

thanks gurneesh, appreciate the clarification
i have seen someone shot with a blank before - and it was pretty unpleasant!
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

Supersonic BrahMos tested from INS Tarkash
India on Wednesday successfully test fired the 290-km range BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from the Navy's latest guided missile frigate INS Tarkash off the coast of Goa.The missile performed the high-level 'C' manoeuvre in the pre-determined flight path and successfully hit the target. The missile was launched from the Russian-built warship at 1100 hours, BrahMos Aerospace chief A Sivathanu Pillai said here. "The launch was carried out by the Navy as part of Acceptance Test Firing (ATF) of the ship," he said.INS Tarkash, which is an advanced Talwar Class frigate, was commissioned on November 9, last yea

Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

^^^
Nitpick.
Only the second picture is the INS Tarkash.
The first and the third pics are a Rajput class destroyer firing off the Brahmos
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

Pictures from Paris Air Show - Courtesy - Rediff

Dassault Rafale

Antonov An-70

Eurocopter Tiger H61 helicopters

Extra 330SC

Sukhoi Su-35

Airbus A400M military aircraft followed by Alphajet planes

Dassault Rafale - The Beauty

Airbus A400M

Jet engines of a Sukhoi Su-35

Sukhoi Su-35

Typhoon

Antonov An-70 four-engine

AgustaWestland helicopter AW169

Dassault Rafale

Sukhoi SU-35
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

A US Air Force C-17 on Oct. 19, 2009, served as the airdrop platform for US and Indian Special Operations Forces during the first combined HALO (high altitude, low opening) mission for the latest Cope India exercise, which ran Oct. 19-23, 2009.
member_26965
BRFite

Post by member_26965 »

Lot of photos of IAF in Op Rahat. Mi-26 in full glory.

http://frontierindia.org/forum/f3/image ... akhand-684
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

In an effort to develop international cooperation and joint training for UN peacekeeping missions, Indian Army participated in a Joint Training Exercise with its Mongolian counterpart from 10 - 24 June 2013.

The Indian Army was represented by 28 personnel who participated in several joint counter insurgency and counter terrorism operations in Mongolia. Codenamed ‘NOMADIC ELEPHANT – 2013’, the exercise focused specially on the needs of peacekeeping missions under the UN flag and helped in increasing the coordination and understanding between troops of the two nations.

Defence cooperation and relations between India and Mongolia have seen a steady growth over the last decade with the first joint exercise in 2004. For the last few years, the joint drills are being held every year. In 2012, the joint training was held at Belgaum, in Karnataka.

vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Looks like our level and quality of equipment and kit for the soldiers varies depending on how TFTA the other country is in the exercise. :mrgreen:
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Indo-Chinese border meet:

aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

IIRC three remain in service ?
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

aniket wrote:IIRC three remain in service ?
considering the fact that only one was deployed in Op Rahat (Z3075) and no other bird has been seen in public in recent times, I am not sure if the other two are air worthy. Jagan sir or others who track IAF warbirds might be able to give a better perspective.
The other birds which have been sighted before are Z2898, Z3076 and another bird with # Z307 (probably a bad paint job).
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

Not Indian , but still awesome

no one can resist this plane

fastest record , tallest record , engine all way ahead of its time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_S ... rd#Records
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

vivek_ahuja wrote:Looks like our level and quality of equipment and kit for the soldiers varies depending on how TFTA the other country is in the exercise. :mrgreen:
Not necessarily. To avoid paper work, Indian side would not have taken their own guns.
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

Sri wrote:
vivek_ahuja wrote:Looks like our level and quality of equipment and kit for the soldiers varies depending on how TFTA the other country is in the exercise. :mrgreen:
Not necessarily. To avoid paper work, Indian side would not have taken their own guns.
I think Vivek was mentioning about the kits offered to the visiting soldiers and their TFTAness of lack of it. AFAIK only Khan brought their own kit <Rumour> and rumored to have left a significant amount in Desh itself for future exercises. </Rumour>
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Taken from MEA Website

(In this photo: Two Indian soldiers, members of the UNIFIL force in southern Lebanon, stand guard just across the border from Kibbutz Manara.)

Mihir
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Mihir »

A MiG-29K and two Do-228s over the Andamans.

Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

Mihir wrote:A MiG-29K and two Do-228s over the Andamans.
Yellow color Dorniers???? is it a trainer or something? I thought IN uses a white / grey paint scheme for naval aviation assets.
Mihir
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Mihir »

They're grey enough. It's just that the sun hitting them from that angle makes them look yellowish.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Hope they paid ya ..
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Jagan wrote:

Hope they paid ya ..
They werent paying a lot & i confirmed that with my European planespotter mates who've had many of their photos published.
The answer was, "Unfortunately magazines don't have big budgets for images these days."

So i just took a years subscription instead :wink:
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Some excellent photos from airliner.net clicked by Angad Singh

http://www.airliners.net/photo/India--- ... 2278958/L/
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

^^From the above gallery
This has to be one of the best pics of the Mig-21s in the IAF. The unique thing is that it contains all versions of Mig-21s currently operational in the IAF.

The leftmost one is an FL, the one at the bottom left is a 21U trainer, the rightmost is a bison. Of the two in between, one is a Bis and one is an MF I'm guessing because their dorsal spines look very slightly different from each other (or maybe both are Bis, I don't know how to tell them apart. If someone does, please tell me how).

Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Is it only me or the angle of the photo? The Canopy above the pilot seat in the trainer seems missing.
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

Not a photograph but I think this is the best idea of the Mig-21.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Books ... -Last.html

jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

nachiket wrote:^^From the above gallery
This has to be one of the best pics of the Mig-21s in the IAF. The unique thing is that it contains all versions of Mig-21s currently operational in the IAF.

The leftmost one is an FL, the one at the bottom left is a 21U trainer, the rightmost is a bison. Of the two in between, one is a Bis and one is an MF I'm guessing because their dorsal spines look very slightly different from each other (or maybe both are Bis, I don't know how to tell them apart. If someone does, please tell me how).

http://i.imgur.com/KAfzU1z.jpg?2
How do you tell them apart ? Apart from the spines, I can't find any difference.

What kind of fuel tanks are they carrying ?