Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Armed Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
anjan
BRFite

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by anjan »

tejas wrote:My point is the Indian armed forces should probably be using helicopters designed/built after the 1962 war with China.
Then you should have said that instead of taking potshots at other services. The Cheetah/Chetak are indeed in a bad shape. The GPS on most phone are more accurate and sensitive than the hand held stuff they lug around. Hell look at a standard Mi-8 and see what equipment they have. Other services and arms like the Infantry also struggle with obsolence. None of this has anything to do with who's "forward looking", whatever the hell that means.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Ex-INS Vikrant Chief of Watch Station

The chap is responsible for engine room. Anything goes wrong, they catch him. Very interesting pic (IMO).
tejas
BRFite

Post by tejas »

Anjan, thanks for the unsolicited lecture. What I meant by forward looking wrt the Navy is their attempt to maximize indigenous equipment and their synergizing with DRDO early on in many of these projects unlike the IA which gets many times the Navy's budget and uses it to buy stellar imports like the T-90. BTW your condescending and disrespectful tone is quite atypical for this forum, which I have visited since its inception. BRF is filled with many highly intelligent people. You do not seem to be one of them.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

tejas wrote:
I don't know what your point is. The Chetak & Cheetah are still flown by the IAF and usually for casevac and OP in lousy terrain.
My point is the Indian armed forces should probably be using helicopters designed/built after the 1962 war with China.
My OT reply here
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 7#p1260587
anjan
BRFite

Post by anjan »

tejas wrote:Anjan, thanks for the unsolicited lecture. What I meant by forward looking wrt the Navy is their attempt to maximize indigenous equipment and their synergizing with DRDO early on in many of these projects unlike the IA which gets many times the Navy's budget and uses it to buy stellar imports like the T-90. BTW your condescending and disrespectful tone is quite atypical for this forum, which I have visited since its inception. BRF is filled with many highly intelligent people. You do not seem to be one of them.
Ha! You don't seem to have problems with disrespect when you're the one dishing it out. Factually you're wrong with your potshots at other services. I pointed it out. Apparently that causes takleef. :roll: The other services try and indigenize as much as anyone else and get stuck with as much or more crappy equipment. The Indian Army you might have noticed is the largest and most enthusiastic customer of the HAL Dhruv and is ordering the Akash in numbers. Those potshots are deserving of contempt because you're apparently willing to sit on judgement on who gets new equipment on basis of petty, not to mention petulant, politics.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Anjan,

We have gone this path many times. It is a perception difference that Navy is forward looking and not Army, of which, I too believe.

As perception goes, Army is scaling up after VKS. Notwithstanding all that opinion on the new chief (in AFSPA, Siachin etc), IMO, he will be good for indigenisation in case he is more pally with Govt.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

tejas wrote:... What I meant by forward looking wrt the Navy is their attempt to maximize indigenous equipment and their synergizing with DRDO early on in many of these projects unlike the IA which gets many times the Navy's budget and uses it to buy stellar imports like the T-90....
The Army's capital budget is not many times that of Navy. See this link on budget proposal for next FY...

http://www.sarkaritel.com/defence-budge ... odernising

http://www.business-standard.com/india/ ... ad/468125/
Last edited by nelson on 27 Mar 2012 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

nelson wrote:
tejas wrote:... What I meant by forward looking wrt the Navy is their attempt to maximize indigenous equipment and their synergizing with DRDO early on in many of these projects unlike the IA which gets many times the Navy's budget and uses it to buy stellar imports like the T-90....
The Army's capital budget is not many times that of Navy. See this link on budget proposal for next FY...

http://www.sarkaritel.com/defence-budge ... odernising
Can you get the data for previous 40 budgets and see?
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Folks, gentle OT alert.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

^^I do not want to waste time. You can see for your self. With 1.3 million strong force the army's capital budget allocation and spend is always going to be less than its revenue spend. The ratio(capital:revenue) is always going to be better for Air force(str 1,30,000) and Navy(str 60,000). No surprises there, because the bulk of revenue expenditure is due to pay and allowances.

Sorry for OT.

I am not contending the point that Army needs to move for greater indigenisation, but only that certain statements made in support of that argument are incorrect.
tejas
BRFite

Post by tejas »

Anjan, one look at the T-90 vs Arjun sordid affair is enough to to tell you how much the IA supports local products. The Arjun is ut thru 50,000 km trials and the Tin can accepted without testing. How nmany hoops did Akash need to jump thru before being accepted? My last post on this.
aditya.agd
BRFite

Post by aditya.agd »

IA seems to not support the local manufacturing efforts, but may be they are doing. If someone can compile areas where they have supported local manufacturing that will be a great insight.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

no more OT here guys. find the right thread.
Rahul.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

keshavchandra
BRFite

Post by keshavchandra »

self deleted.(moved to multi-media section)
Last edited by keshavchandra on 29 Mar 2012 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

keshav, this is the pictures thread, not video thread. use the multimedia thread for that. I will delete the above post tomorrow.
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

IA Tanks in Action

Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

some old pictures. don't recollect them being posted here. apologies if done already

Indian Navy Warships in South Africa [Photographs]
-------------

Chetak Helicopters of the Indian Navy in South Africa during IBSAMAR Naval Exercises [Photographs]
-------------

INS Darshak, Indian Navy Vessel at the South African Navy Festival [Photographs]
linking the INS Darshak photographs to the original album, as there are no other pics in there. If you're unable to download the full-res images [1600px] from there, it can be done so at the blog
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

Spotted BMP urban survival kit

a Indian version of slate Armour

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Yesterday, 98th birth anniversary of Field Marshal Sam Hormusji Framji Jamshedji Manekshaw, Military Cross was observed at ooty. Most pics sent are terrible.

Here is one from his meeting troops in 1971

Field Marshal SHFJ Manekshaw, Military Cross with troops after 1971 War

And a historic day will be today when a nook sub gets inducted. I am sure you must have seen this pic before
Charlie I:
INS Chakra Nuclear Submarine
silod
BRFite -Trainee

Post by silod »

Chacko Brother,

USS Carl Vinson will be active in Bay of Bengal in coming days. As you always seem to have the first-hand pictures, can you post some nice snaps of this giant here in this forum?
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

silod wrote:Chacko Brother,

USS Carl Vinson will be active in Bay of Bengal in coming days. As you always seem to have the first-hand pictures, can you post some nice snaps of this giant here in this forum?
I'll try. Before that wait for the Chakra pics 8)
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

X post
Embraer EMB 145I aircraft for DRDO AEW&C

Another large photo of Embraer EMB 145I A closeup.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

-
Vikrant-class Aircraft Carrier under construction in India [Photographs]

http://www.aame.in/2012/04/vikrant-clas ... under.html
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Hiten wrote:-
Vikrant-class Aircraft Carrier under construction in India [Photographs]

http://www.aame.in/2012/04/vikrant-clas ... under.html
Top deck and three other shown. There could be approx 11 - 12 decks on this carrier.
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

chackojoseph wrote:Top deck and three other shown. There could be approx 11 - 12 decks on this carrier.
What is the significance of number of decks?
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

adityadange wrote:
chackojoseph wrote:Top deck and three other shown. There could be approx 11 - 12 decks on this carrier.
What is the significance of number of decks?
None. I had asked the IMS Vikrant chap how many decks were there. He gave a figure of 11 or 12, i don't remember exactly. Going by that number, I counted on this ship too. Just an observation.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

if the gunner is looking into the sight (specially using the right eye) whouldnt it be hard for him to operate any switch that are placed to the left side as the face will cover the switches.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Looking at switch will be looking at gears while changing while driving a cars. :P
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

chackojoseph wrote:Looking at switch will be looking at gears while changing while driving a cars. :P
well that is correct but my question is if the switches are covered with face then gunner will definitely have problem operating them. maybe they train him to operate them with face only :lol:
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

it is unlikely that any of those switches will be needed for 'heat of the moment' operation
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

some more pictures of the INS Chakra
http://defenceexpress.blogspot.in/2012/ ... hakra.html

this photo captures the beauty like no other
http://defenceexpress.blogspot.in/2012/ ... nd-me.html
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

adityadange wrote:
if the gunner is looking into the sight (specially using the right eye) whouldnt it be hard for him to operate any switch that are placed to the left side as the face will cover the switches.
Which is the sight? That one- eye thing? Or the black thing that looks like it folds down and needs to be folded up so the gunner can put both eyes to the black rubber cup? That one eyed thing looks like a knob to me - not a sight.

Chacko that's a lousy pic. Don't mean to hurt but it is.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

shiv wrote:Chacko that's a lousy pic. Don't mean to hurt but it is.
It is. I know. Tried my level best.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

most tanks incl abrams have the same format, there are switches near the eyepiece
http://www.mihalko-family.com/Images/Mi ... tation.jpg

here is a T90MS article showing where the 18 rounds and charges are stored in bustle.
http://www.armyrecognition.com/russia_r ... tures.html

does it mean the rounds being two piece, the APDS long rod ammo is kept there and manually fed in by the commander or somehow the carousel feeds in both charges and the new longer ammo?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Singha wrote:most tanks incl abrams have the same format, there are switches near the eyepiece
http://www.mihalko-family.com/Images/Mi ... tation.jpg
In this photo it looks like the main gun will fire if the gunner gets an erection. :D