Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Armed Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
asgkhan
BRFite

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by asgkhan »

Could be doing the job of 'recon' class.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

asgkhan wrote:Could be doing the job of 'recon' class.
I don't know but the video scenes (to me) appeared like an infantry advance where terrain cover is sparse like the Rajasthan desert. No convenient trees and mounds - just flat terrain with brush. The men can be spotted as they move but movement will typically occur with suppressive fire to keep enemy heads down. But once the men are down on the ground among the bushes they are difficult to spot and pick off.
VinayG
BRFite

Post by VinayG »

T SERIES DESI STYLE

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

shiv wrote:
Lalmohan wrote:please watch sniper on discovery channel :)
Lalmullah. None of those men are snipers. These are ordinary infantrymen carrying INSAS with no scopes and not sniper rifles. but wearing Ghillie suits and moving forward individually rather than in pairs and not sitting hidden and are spread apart. Could you point me to any video, "Sniper" or not that shows that? Even stills will do.

Is it possible that brainless SDREs are doing and showing something new? Certainly new to me and nothing that I saw in "Sniper" was comparable.
previous pictures of similar IA teams have shown 4-5 men in 4x4 vehicles moving across the desert, with 2 men in ghillie suits. such pictures have been on BRF (otherwise i wouldn't have seen them). the are more likely spotters than snipers - i wasn't implying that they were snipers, just that some of the techniques/equipment was similar. the previous pictures appear to show the 4 x 4 'recovering' the ghillie suited men. it is possible that the mission they are performing is different - perhaps arty spotters or FAC's. however - advancing in short bursts and diving to the ground is a very standard infantry procedure which has been around for a long long time.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Lalmohan wrote: it is possible that the mission they are performing is different - perhaps arty spotters or FAC's. however - advancing in short bursts and diving to the ground is a very standard infantry procedure which has been around for a long long time.
To me it is the first time I am seeing men in Ghillie suits being used in "standard infantry procedures". Why the Ghillie suit if you are going to run and show yourself? Spotters and snipers as far as my knowledge goes do their thing stealthily which is how the Ghillie suit helps. If the spotter runs into open ground wearing a Ghillie suit he is going to be seen anyway. At the very least i would expect him to crawl and not run and dive in the open as "standard infantry procedures"

That is what made me wonder if they are trying something new or different. Or was it merely a photo op?
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^Shiv, IMO, this was part of the demonstration and fire-power display at the end of the Sudarshan-Shakti exercise. For benefit of mango-abduls. I am also of the opinion that these men were simulating a Sniper/Recon Team...there is a pic of a soldier with Dragunov Rifle, which is the standard sniper rifle for Indian Infantry. Even the pic of the soldier you explained was carrying Dragunov (As was the soldier lying prone to 'his' left). From what I've seen and read, Gillie suits are used by the snipers.

Please see the pic here: http://znn.india.com/Img/2011/12/6/suda ... zal-02.jpg That is Dragunov the soldier is holding. The spotter/support team for the sniper will carry the INSAS for a simple reason that that is the our standard rifle.

To me, it seems a simulation of a team moving into kill position. In the pic you explained, you can see vehicles with red-flags in the horizon - something these men could be simulating to cover.
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

One interesting thing about MBRLs in the aove video, the video frame shows a Grad MBRL and a sign say 120km, i thought even the Smerch does not have this range. See @56 sec.
Am i missing something or is it DDM?
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

was watching on Desi channel the documentary on Sudarshan Shakti, the Ghilli suit duo greatly
dissed&cussed here were shown to have arrived on a helicopter it went on something like this
a helicopter arrives and gets stationary
two dry dusty bushes fall down
heli flies away
suddenly the 2 bushes starts to move as in the above mentioned youtube video
i counted 58 seconds from the time the heli stood stationary and the bushes fell down and the heli flew away and the two bushes moved to a prepared position.

to a watcher most proily the heli was dumping garbage myself thought so the first time around on the re telecast was ready with a watch.
VinayG
BRFite

Post by VinayG »

The upgradation of MIG 29

VinayG
BRFite

Post by VinayG »

VinayG
BRFite

Post by VinayG »

VinayG
BRFite

Post by VinayG »

VinayG
BRFite

Post by VinayG »

Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

Vinayg, these photos were posted in the forum many moons ago, please aoid repeats, also just post links with a writeup, captions and atmost 1-2 photos rather than. Series of photos without any text.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Naah leave him alone.. some of us havent seen them the first time around.

Thanks for the post VInay G but a link to the original source would be good..
manum
BRFite

Post by manum »

some of pics weren't posted earlier in them...but WOW, I wanna see LCA's...Thanks

added later :- all of em were on second thought...but still a fascinating sight...
VinayG
BRFite

Post by VinayG »

Jagan wrote:Naah leave him alone.. some of us havent seen them the first time around.

Thanks for the post VInay G but a link to the original source would be good..
thank you jagan sir i posted those pictures from militaryphotos.net posted by kunal biswas

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/sh ... 0cf560fc43
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Refer second picture, where brake parachute cover is hanging by a simple chain.

For reasons best known to its designers, the Tejas brake parachute cover comes out and flutters with the parachute. Unusual, and the only aircraft I've seen with this feature. The airman gathering the chute has a fair chance of getting smacked by the fluttering cover.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/media/Aer ... e.jpg.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mskap/5845466095/
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

tsarkar wrote:Refer second picture, where brake parachute cover is hanging by a simple chain.

For reasons best known to its designers, the Tejas brake parachute cover comes out and flutters with the parachute. Unusual, and the only aircraft I've seen with this feature. The airman gathering the chute has a fair chance of getting smacked by the fluttering cover.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/media/Aer ... e.jpg.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mskap/5845466095/
It was a request by IAF so they wouldn't have to send someone to go fetch the cover, the first LCA didn't have the cover attached but they made that modification based on the IAF's feedback. I am not sure where or how anyone can smacked by the cover, it is tied to the chute.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

tsarkar wrote: The airman gathering the chute has a fair chance of getting smacked by the fluttering cover.
Why would he try to gather the chute before it is detatched from the aircraft and drops limp to the ground after which the aircraft proceeds to taxi to wherever. He wont be gathering up the chute that is billowing at the back of the jet exhaust.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Raveen wrote:I am not sure where or how anyone can smacked by the cover, it is tied to the chute.
Because typically aircraft land into the wind that imparts some extra lift for the wings allowing slower approaches http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 226AApIk99 When one is into the wind, the chute billows, like a wind sock http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsock. When chute is billowing, anything on a line can smack.
shiv wrote:Why would he try to gather the chute before it is detatched from the aircraft and drops limp to the ground after which the aircraft proceeds to taxi to wherever.
It doesnt always stay limp into the wind.
Raveen wrote:It was a request by IAF so they wouldn't have to send someone to go fetch the cover, the first LCA didn't have the cover attached but they made that modification based on the IAF's feedback.
Even more interesting, the cover lying on the tarmac wouldnt allow any other plane land or take-off until it had been retrieved, otherwise FOD chances increase.

As the MiG29 picture shows, most planes have the cover dangling by a chain or simply hinged http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... dia%29.jpg. A simple hinge attaching the cover or a dangling chain wont weigh more than some grams. So trying to understand the reason for 1. earlier detached cover 2. attached to brake chute. Must be a good reason for this break from something simple & very conventional design.
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

tsarkar wrote:
Raveen wrote:I am not sure where or how anyone can smacked by the cover, it is tied to the chute.
Because typically aircraft land into the wind that imparts some extra lift for the wings allowing slower approaches http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 226AApIk99 When one is into the wind, the chute billows, like a wind sock http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsock. When chute is billowing, anything on a line can smack.
shiv wrote:Why would he try to gather the chute before it is detatched from the aircraft and drops limp to the ground after which the aircraft proceeds to taxi to wherever.
It doesnt always stay limp into the wind.
Raveen wrote:It was a request by IAF so they wouldn't have to send someone to go fetch the cover, the first LCA didn't have the cover attached but they made that modification based on the IAF's feedback.
Even more interesting, the cover lying on the tarmac wouldnt allow any other plane land or take-off until it had been retrieved, otherwise FOD chances increase.

As the MiG29 picture shows, most planes have the cover dangling by a chain or simply hinged http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... dia%29.jpg. A simple hinge attaching the cover or a dangling chain wont weigh more than some grams. So trying to understand the reason for 1. earlier detached cover 2. attached to brake chute. Must be a good reason for this break from something simple & very conventional design.
Most planes have hinges but the LCA was designed without that, hence the requested modification by the IAF.
Also, I still don't see anyone getting smacked by a chute and attached cover after detachment from aircraft.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

shiv wrote:
tsarkar wrote: The airman gathering the chute has a fair chance of getting smacked by the fluttering cover.
Why would he try to gather the chute before it is detatched from the aircraft and drops limp to the ground after which the aircraft proceeds to taxi to wherever. He wont be gathering up the chute that is billowing at the back of the jet exhaust.
No no he must not let it touch the ground else he will have the job of washing it with NIRMA
:D :D :D
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

No no he must not let it touch the ground else he will have the job of washing it with NIRMA
:D :D :D
:rotfl: :rotfl:
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

The Full Film | Hunters At Dawn - The Air Battle Of Longewala, 1971
http://livefist.blogspot.com/2011/12/fi ... le-of.html
jimmy_moh
BRFite

Post by jimmy_moh »

some of the pics of chineese border in tibet......
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/travelo ... -t36742-9/
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/travelo ... t36742-10/

courtsey dheeraj in BCM
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I think this is the first pic of our C130J with the FLIR attached.

Click to enlarge

India's sixth C130J leaves for India, ahead of schedule and under budget. Source: Livefist.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Tsarkar ji ... I don't have the exact answer to your question about the cover to the chute ... But making a spring loaded hinge cap should be one of the easiest things to achieve ... whereas making a cap which would not get bent out of shape on impact with the ground on every landing is not.

Raveen ji ... the cap came off even in the inaugural flight of Tejas ... during what time or on which prototype was it hinged?
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

indranilroy wrote:Tsarkar ji ... I don't have the exact answer to your question about the cover to the chute ... But making a spring loaded hinge cap should be one of the easiest things to achieve ... whereas making a cap which would not get bent out of shape on impact with the ground on every landing is not.

Raveen ji ... the cap came off even in the inaugural flight of Tejas ... during what time or on which prototype was it hinged?
I think you've misunderstood what has been said so far about the issue

What I stated was that the cap was not attached to the aircraft nor the chute when the LCA first flew which meant someone had to go fetch the cap after each landing. The IAF then requested that the cap be attached to the chute to prevent the issue and that is the current solution the HAL has implemented as recommended by the IAF.
It's a minor oversight that stems from inexperience on the HAL's part, the next aircraft they build shouldn't have the same issue.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Thank you for the explanation.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Cant they just have the cap like they do on the Su30s?:

So that the Laal Dhakkan can just swivel to the left/right or top upon Chute-Release
Image Image
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Not sure why everyone is so concerned about a cap that is attached to the chute - a very elegant solution that avoides hinges and trapdoors that can collect dust and need servicing. Teh cap is made of a synthetic material - so it does not get dented. The solution is briliant and I was impressed because I had asked someone why the hell the orange cap falls off for the early prototypes. That person (test pilot) had said - the issue is trivial and will easily eb resolved.

There is never "oversight" in things like these. The design is planned. And in my view the simple lightweight solution is brilliant. It's not as though India has not designed doors for chutes. The HF 24 had twin clamshell doors that sprang open IIRC.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Intellectual masturbation Shivji - nothing to do till LSP-7 and NP-1 fly!
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Indrajit wrote:That camo is in use for quite sometime now,even in the last "Yudh Abhyas" the Paras were wearing that Jacket.
OT, but really liked the Jacket Mr. Antony is wearing ... is emblazoned with IA insignia as well...

http://pib.nic.in/photo//2011/Dec/l2011120538064.jpg
Singh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Singh »

Vivek K wrote:Intellectual masturbation Shivji - nothing to do till LSP-7 and NP-1 fly!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

^^^ that's french
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

In Sukhoi's case, does the pilot deploy spoilers before touchdown with flaps full down? I know it's a no no in commercial aircraft.