Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Armed Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
deepan gill
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by deepan gill »

Is that Long beach NY Prithvi Raj?
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

^ Boeing's Prithviraj production line is in Long Beach, CA
member_20453
BRFite

Post by member_20453 »

We need atleast 40 and upto 50 Prithvirajs, looking excellent in IAF colors, they are bound to be the most useful aircraft in IAF's transport wing.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

My Latest Photo:
Capitaine Cédric "Rût" Ruet passes by Suryakiran #2 while slowing down on runway 09 after his Awesome Rafale Display ⇒ http://www.airliners.net/photo/2213305/L/
vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

Interesting set of weapons. Can someone ID the gun in the front?

sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ 3 different camo and 4 different guns, all in the same pic but belonging to the same force! :mrgreen:

Would be great if all the weapons are IDed
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

vdutta wrote:Interesting set of weapons. Can someone ID the gun in the front?

that is Beretta M*4 storm submachine gun

vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

Isnt beretta carrying too small of a caliber for border patrolling?

Also i dont see any easily accessible clips or com devices. Looks like just men with a gun, not a complete soldier.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

vdutta wrote:Isnt beretta carrying too small of a caliber for border patrolling?
It replaces the carbine. INSAS is the rifle.
vdutta wrote:Also i dont see any easily accessible clips or com devices.
How long is the battery life for such gizmos?
vdutta wrote:Looks like just men with a gun, not a complete soldier.
What is a complete soldier? Gizmo laden ones?

In the battle of Takar Gur in Operation Anaconda in 2002, US Special Forces rescuing the fallen comrades, were dropped by helicopter. They were dropped some way below the Taliban occupied mountain top because Taliban fire had taken out helicopters earlier. Anyways, gizmo laden GI Joes were soon panting, and did a striptease discarding gizmos, batteries & armour.

An Australian SAS patrol, that had infliltrated on foot, and got acclimatized in the process, directed the relief of the original & rescue US forces. Needless to say, foot was better than helicopters. And less gizmos encumber less.

Well tuned human senses are more superior than battery dependent gizmos.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

sum wrote:^^ 3 different camo and 4 different guns, all in the same pic but belonging to the same force! :mrgreen:

Would be great if all the weapons are IDed
I can see only 2 types of uniform and 2 types of weapons. One is a sniper rifle. The other has been IDed by others
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

vdutta wrote: Looks like just men with a gun, not a complete soldier.
Saar this looks like BSF to me. A border security force. Not a full fledged army combat unit
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

I have seen other pics of BSF soldiers patrolling. While I understand them not carrying all sorts of gizmos and backpacks, where do they carry their ammo, water, etc?
Mihaylo
BRFite

Post by Mihaylo »

sum wrote:^^ 3 different camo and 4 different guns, all in the same pic but belonging to the same force! :mrgreen:

They follow the primary Indian philosophy of Unity in Diversity onlee Saar :)

-M
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

As a matter of fact there is another pic from the same series where three cameo difference is apparent along with three different weapon types (check out the last guy ..that is not a Barreta)..I have seen many many different BSF cameos in last couple of years.

Mihaylo
BRFite

Post by Mihaylo »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:13 Jan 2013: Nice Looking Army Officer Image at Army Cdr's Parade

I bet she could lop off a few puki 'heads' herself :)

-M
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

clicky for slightly bigger size

member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

There is another one from militaryphotos.net ...

Mx-4, X-95, Akm, SSG-69 in the same unit.. :P ... I guess this is some kind of photo op... and the enthusiastic unit commander wanted to show his entire inventory !!

rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

I some how don't feel all right with the BSF Patrol with SMG as their main weapon. And here is why -

- It is said that these weapons have replaced the notorious carbine in service; well, the carbine was a fully automatic weapon and was issued to officers (and hence, in limited numbers).

- rest of the platoon is equipped on regular lines of assault rifles and LMG. A section (10 men) would not generally have a carbine in it inventory.

- Now let us look at the role of a SMG - used as a Personal Defense Weapon (PDW) or for special Close Quarter Combat forces like NSG or Special Forces (in certain cases). The reason is both the size, rate of fire and stopping power of the round. That is why something like MP-5 has done so well - it has filled a certain requirement. And it was because of low stopping power of MP-5 that UMP was developed (though with slightly lower rate of fire).

- A border patrol equipped with only SMG of MX4 SMG IMO is outgunned in a serious firefight. The Pakistan Rangers are equipped with AK-47/56 and G3 versions. If one looks at the terrain along the border (like the one shown in pic), one can expect a firefight along open terrain. In such a scenario, I think BSF men equipped predominantly with such SMG may well find themselves outgunned.

ADDED LATER - saw the pic again - all the men in first BSF pic are of JCO rank...which makes me think that the pic is for photo-op and taken during a specific event. Even sardarji in the second pic seems like a JCO (one holding the SMG) while the one in the front is carrying AK version.
Aditya Watts
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Aditya Watts »

I guess it's a PR session to show off their new gear/weapons :)
Like Mr. Rohit said it would make no sense to use these in open terrain at long distance.
Brando
BRFite

Post by Brando »

Probably the most incredible thing in these Photo-Op pictures is none of the soldiers are wearing body armor or any optics (even a pair of binoculars !). Given what your good friends to the West recently demonstrated at the LoC, these guys look like they are out for a stroll in the park and not on patrol.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

rohitvats wrote:I some how don't feel all right with the BSF Patrol with SMG as their main weapon. And here is why -

- It is said that these weapons have replaced the notorious carbine in service; well, the carbine was a fully automatic weapon and was issued to officers (and hence, in limited numbers).

- rest of the platoon is equipped on regular lines of assault rifles and LMG. A section (10 men) would not generally have a carbine in it inventory.

- Now let us look at the role of a SMG - used as a Personal Defense Weapon (PDW) or for special Close Quarter Combat forces like NSG or Special Forces (in certain cases). The reason is both the size, rate of fire and stopping power of the round. That is why something like MP-5 has done so well - it has filled a certain requirement. And it was because of low stopping power of MP-5 that UMP was developed (though with slightly lower rate of fire).

- A border patrol equipped with only SMG of MX4 SMG IMO is outgunned in a serious firefight. The Pakistan Rangers are equipped with AK-47/56 and G3 versions. If one looks at the terrain along the border (like the one shown in pic), one can expect a firefight along open terrain. In such a scenario, I think BSF men equipped predominantly with such SMG may well find themselves outgunned.

ADDED LATER - saw the pic again - all the men in first BSF pic are of JCO rank...which makes me think that the pic is for photo-op and taken during a specific event. Even sardarji in the second pic seems like a JCO (one holding the SMG) while the one in the front is carrying AK version.
By the same token, I sit inside an average airport terminal in India and find security men carrying INSAS or AK. In many areas - apart from the crowds, the total radius available for shooting is less than 200 meters, and in fact less than 100 meters in most cases. I would have thought that airport security should be equipped with close in weapons and not assault rifles.

Of late I have been living a lifelong dream - having become a member of a local rifle association. My aim is fairly good and if I have time to aim I should be able to hit a stationary human head size target consistently at 50 meters. At 100 meters I would probably miss some. At 200 meters none of this is easy. This makes me wonder about the exactly utility of assault weapons in buildings such as airport terminals, just like BSF should be carrying more heavy firepower in open ground.
deepan gill
BRFite -Trainee

Post by deepan gill »

Question or rather a comment about the BSF pictures:

1] the way rifles are being held, in quick reaction it will take few etc seconds to raise, aim and fire. The way they are being held indicates after hitting the ground or taking cover, line of fire will be straight, not cross section thus limiting line of fire area.
2] One of the pic shows a personnel carrying a sniper rifle, shouldn't snipers be way covering the squad?
3] These futuristic guns, are they for CQC or have a decent range?

Overall nice pic and sincere thanks to them for serving.
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

May be just a random observation.. but I have seen consistently women brigade of paramilitary forces have a different gun holding postures facing downward compared to male facing upwards which apparently is not the best practice. I am a total amateur in this subject but started reading a little bit...

rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

shiv wrote:<SNIP>By the same token, I sit inside an average airport terminal in India and find security men carrying INSAS or AK. In many areas - apart from the crowds, the total radius available for shooting is less than 200 meters, and in fact less than 100 meters in most cases. I would have thought that airport security should be equipped with close in weapons and not assault rifles.

Doctor Sahab, In my travel across the country, I have witnessed a change in the equipment profile. Yes, there are CISF soldiers inside the airport terminal still equipped with INSAS or black colored AK versions...but a lot more equipped with MP-5 and even MP-5K - which is shorter version of MP-5.

Of late I have been living a lifelong dream - having become a member of a local rifle association. My aim is fairly good and if I have time to aim I should be able to hit a stationary human head size target consistently at 50 meters. At 100 meters I would probably miss some. At 200 meters none of this is easy. This makes me wonder about the exactly utility of assault weapons in buildings such as airport terminals, just like BSF should be carrying more heavy firepower in open ground.

One guess is that they wanted a mix of heavy and light firepower...but then knowing how things work out in India, could be a simple case of not enough MP-5 kind of weapons being available to equip the soldiers for duties inside the terminal. Those on perimeter security or part of a QRT can be equipped with heavier caliber and stopping power weapons.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

In T3 Dilli, CISF men have been carrying MP5s for some years now.
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

Aftre seeing coup,e of BSF pictures above... My take is
1) both pics of the women personnel taken in Punjab were couple of years older... Shortly after the women batallion were inducted.. MA be a photo Opp.. The ladies strictly followed their SoP.
2) the pics of BSF men with the whole Armoury in full view was a pure Photo Op, with seniors also in attendance showing off... Stress was more on the weapons than on the men...
3) multiple Camo might be because of men from different ranks, different units who Are there for the photo op...

One thing is apparNt, BSF's firepower has increased phenomenally.
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

Raja Bose wrote:In T3 Dilli, CISF men have been carrying MP5s for some years now.
CISF jawan in Dilli T3 is protect Netas, Babooze, Madam and yuvraj... Not for Aam Admi...they will be provided everything...
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

CISF jawans in mumbai had Mp 5s
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ Have seen the same in Bluru and Chennai airports too
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

I came across a picture of Juhu Aerodrome... recently...

Are these ex Pavan Hans frame? Who can ID the choppers..?

Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

probably the westland junk from the scam from the 80s\90s
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

Surya wrote:probably the westland junk from the scam from the 80s\90s
Guess so... another pic shows a different view of westland junks....
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

yup

westland W 30s junk

what a scam
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Rajiv Gandhi got his training in maintaining off shore accounts on the Pawan Hans/Westland deal before moving on to the big ones - Indian Airlines/Airbus 320 and Indian Army/Bofors.
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

on a lighter note...

VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

How Sexy is that:
HI-RES
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:How Sexy is that:
HI-RES
hunchback of russia?? :mrgreen:
deepan gill
BRFite -Trainee

Post by deepan gill »

THATS IT!!!! That picture of BSF soldiers [women] is exactly how the weapon is suppose to be held. Pointing up, crouch and aim, these three things are done together when holding weapon in this manner. Try it, stand in front of a mirror and you will see.

Sincere thanks to the member who posted the pic and to the soldiers for serving.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Prithwiraj wrote:on a lighter note...

LOL thats how they do it.

They gotta have some background on the importance of having a flag upside down.

Nice one ;-)
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Surya wrote:yup

westland W 30s junk

what a scam
Hi Surya
Could you provide me with a reference to more info on this
Thanks