Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Armed Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
MN Kumar
BRFite

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by MN Kumar »

Hiten wrote:this photo captures the beauty like no other
http://defenceexpress.blogspot.in/2012/ ... nd-me.html
That looks like SBC in the background.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Singha wrote:does it mean the rounds being two piece, the APDS long rod ammo is kept there and manually fed in by the commander or somehow the carousel feeds in both charges and the new longer ammo?
Well, to me it seems that the crew needs to transfer the ammo from bustle to the carousel magazine. There does not seem to be any mechanism to transfer the rounds automatically from bustle to the gun or the magazine. Which brings me to the question - the crew needs to expose itself to be able to transfer the ammo?
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

shiv wrote:<SNIP>Which is the sight? That one- eye thing? Or the black thing that looks like it folds down and needs to be folded up so the gunner can put both eyes to the black rubber cup? That one eyed thing looks like a knob to me - not a sight.<SNIP>
The "black-thing" is where the forehead rests while the gunner sees through the sight - the one you're referring to as knob.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

rohitvats wrote:
shiv wrote:<SNIP>Which is the sight? That one- eye thing? Or the black thing that looks like it folds down and needs to be folded up so the gunner can put both eyes to the black rubber cup? That one eyed thing looks like a knob to me - not a sight.<SNIP>
The "black-thing" is where the forehead rests while the gunner sees through the sight - the one you're referring to as knob.
Ah it's clear now. That means there are several centimeters of space between the eyepiece that sticks out and the gunner can actually see the switches with his left eye. So the impression that his cheek will be resting on those switches and his nose jammed in front and that he won't be able to operate the switches is wrong and caused by lack of depth in the 2-D picture that makes it look that way. There appears to be another viewer/eyepiece like thing to the right at the edge of the photo.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

shiv wrote:Ah it's clear now. That means there are several centimeters of space between the eyepiece that sticks out and the gunner can actually see the switches with his left eye. So the impression that his cheek will be resting on those switches and his nose jammed in front and that he won't be able to operate the switches is wrong and caused by lack of depth in the 2-D picture that makes it look that way. There appears to be another viewer/eyepiece like thing to the right at the edge of the photo.
Ok got your question.

Some pics and explanations of certain tank interiors.

Wiki Gunner peering

======================
Indian Naval officers look at Amur Class Submarine at DefExpo 2012
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

shiv wrote: The "black-thing" is where the forehead rests while the gunner sees through the sight - the one you're referring to as knob.
Ah it's clear now. That means there are several centimeters of space between the eyepiece that sticks out and the gunner can actually see the switches with his left eye. So the impression that his cheek will be resting on those switches and his nose jammed in front and that he won't be able to operate the switches is wrong and caused by lack of depth in the 2-D picture that makes it look that way. There appears to be another viewer/eyepiece like thing to the right at the edge of the photo.[/quote]

Shiv, allow me to extend my point further. Though the pic is very low res, I noticed the depth of switch position. If you look at the complete assembly you will notice the sight is a monocular sight and that too for the right eye. now consider eye position on human face. it is placed deeper when compared to cheeks and nose. so when touched to the sight cheek will be ahead and very much close to the switches. and operating them with fingers will be definitely difficult.
now when you look into monocular sight you need to close your other eye as human eyes cannot focus on 2 different things separately. so gunner cannot see into sight and at the switches at a time. he will have to divert his attention. well this case wont happen once he gets completely familiar with the switches position and feel then touched.

one interesting thing i noticed is the sight is optimized for right handed person. if the operator is left handed he will close his right eye by default and look using left eye (i know this since i am left handed). in this case there should not be any problem.

pardon if i am making rant.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

adityadange wrote: Shiv, allow me to extend my point further. Though the pic is very low res, I noticed the depth of switch position. If you look at the complete assembly you will notice the sight is a monocular sight and that too for the right eye. now consider eye position on human face. it is placed deeper when compared to cheeks and nose. so when touched to the sight cheek will be ahead and very much close to the switches. and operating them with fingers will be definitely difficult.
now when you look into monocular sight you need to close your other eye as human eyes cannot focus on 2 different things separately. so gunner cannot see into sight and at the switches at a time. he will have to divert his attention. well this case wont happen once he gets completely familiar with the switches position and feel then touched.

one interesting thing i noticed is the sight is optimized for right handed person. if the operator is left handed he will close his right eye by default and look using left eye (i know this since i am left handed). in this case there should not be any problem.

pardon if i am making rant.
Not rant. Assumptions. The assumptions you are making are that
  • 1. The gunner must operate those very switches while he is looking through the sight, simultaneously
    2. That the gunner must have his eye socket held against that sight.
    3. That no adjustment of forehead rest is possible to allow the left eye to be used.
In fact the headrest appears to be a "stop" that steadies the head and holds the eye away at an optimum distance from the sight. For example sights in rifles do not require one to have an eye in contact with the sight but are optimized to allow the best view when the eye (left or right) is a few centimeters away from the sight. Looking through a rifle scope or even a monocular optical microscope needs the eye to be held away a bit - although the distance is greater for the rifle scope.
Image of sniper aiming

If you look at the image you will see that the forehead rest is mounted on a rail that extends way off to the right and appears like it can be adjusted left/right. In this photo it appears to be in its extreme left position. I don't think the designers are as dumb as you seem to be alleging based on one poor quality photo. Do you believe they would have goofed this up?
Last edited by shiv on 09 Apr 2012 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^The head rest is something like the head rest on device used to measure the eyesight electronically.

Check this pic of Merkava Gunner: http://www.supervideo.com/MerkavaMkIVgunner.jpg
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

The headrest is essentlal. The head must always be steady relative to the sight and "physically connected" to the sight. For a sniper/rifleman - the cheek rests against the grip. In this case it is the forehead. Putting one's eye socket directly against a sight in a moving/heaving tank means medical leave due to bruising and eye damage. Holding it away cannot be done without a headrest.
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

I don't think the designers are as dumb as you seem to be alleging based on one poor quality photo. Do you believe they would have goofed this up?
definitely not. they must have done some study before positioning the switches there. i am just thinking from the comfort point of view. i hope you may agree to the fact that those switches are better to operate when placed about 6 inches left from the sight.

i would rather prefer lcd screen of around 7 - 8 inches in size to display the view provided by camera/sensor and place the switches around the screen (if possible integrate them on the screen itself i.e. use a touchscreen). IMO, 1) it wont take more space than current setup 2) wont cost too much as such screens are in wide use in a passenger airplane for passenger entertainment. but frankly, i am dumb to understand what it takes to migrate from current sight to the lcd screen.
member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

chackojoseph wrote:
Wiki Gunner peering
What, no one is gonna ridicule the beat-up SDRE looking helmet the guy is wearing? If it were a Indian guy sitting in the Arjun tank, it would be :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( galore.
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

shiv wrote:The headrest is essentlal. The head must always be steady relative to the sight and "physically connected" to the sight. For a sniper/rifleman - the cheek rests against the grip. In this case it is the forehead. Putting one's eye socket directly against a sight in a moving/heaving tank means medical leave due to bruising and eye damage. Holding it away cannot be done without a headrest.
dont want to play devil's advocate here but the image link posted by rohitvats suggests the soldier's eye is connected to the sight at least at the eyebrow and to nose bone area. but i agree that headrest is essential.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

adityadange wrote:
shiv wrote:The headrest is essentlal. The head must always be steady relative to the sight and "physically connected" to the sight. For a sniper/rifleman - the cheek rests against the grip. In this case it is the forehead. Putting one's eye socket directly against a sight in a moving/heaving tank means medical leave due to bruising and eye damage. Holding it away cannot be done without a headrest.
dont want to play devil's advocate here but the image link posted by rohitvats suggests the soldier's eye is connected to the sight at least at the eyebrow and to nose bone area. but i agree that headrest is essential.

That would be a lousy design. That soldier is doing the worst possible thing while looking down a monocular sight - that is trying to close his left eye. He looks positively uncomfortable. Mouth gaping. Eye closed. Should be the other way round. Eye open. Mouth shut. Constipated almost. wtf. The way to keep the sighting eye wide open is to keep both eyes wide open and ignore the image in the free eye. That is actually made easier by turning the head slightly to the opposite side of the eye being used. This does two things, it moves the eye being used forward. It moves the nose off to one side and the opposite eye has half its view blocked by the bridge of one's own nose and will not cause both pupils to constrict by changes in light ambience. This is standard advice given to anyone who is taught to use either a monocular microscope or any other monocular device like dozens of varieties of medical scopes or even a gunsight. This particular soldier may not be a real gunner. He does not know how to look down a sight. Looks like he has lifted and folded up the headrest and is struggling.

http://www.supervideo.com/MerkavaMkIVgunner.jpg
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

OK. Gentlemen, since I have irrefutable upper hand in this, let me pontificate. I have been INSIDE the ARJUN (eat your hearts out...evil laugh..hahahaha) and I have put my eye on that monocle. The eye actually rests on the monocle but not on the metal. The thick black rubber thing around the monocle is what supports (and cushions) the eye with forehead resting on the band above. Same arrangement in Arjun and same arrangement in T-72.

Here is a much clearer pic of gunner's station: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/38740144.jpg/

The red-button on left grip of the control stick is for the main gun while one on the right is for co-axial machine gun.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

-
Brahmaputra Class Guided Missile Frigate, INS Beas of the Indian Navy in Russia [Photographs]
-

http://www.aame.in/2012/04/brahmaputra- ... igate.html
Nick_S
BRFite

Post by Nick_S »

SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

^Superb HQ pics. :)
For a moment I couldn't find INS Vikramaditya in the second picture. :lol:
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

rohitvats wrote:OK. Gentlemen, since I have irrefutable upper hand in this, let me pontificate. I have been INSIDE the ARJUN (eat your hearts out...evil laugh..hahahaha) and I have put my eye on that monocle. The eye actually rests on the monocle but not on the metal. The thick black rubber thing around the monocle is what supports (and cushions) the eye with forehead resting on the band above. Same arrangement in Arjun and same arrangement in T-72.

Here is a much clearer pic of gunner's station: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/38740144.jpg/

The red-button on left grip of the control stick is for the main gun while one on the right is for co-axial machine gun.
labels on the switches suggests those are to be used while looking into the sight.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^To me, they look like settings to be put in place before using the main sight.
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

rohitvats wrote:^^^To me, they look like settings to be put in place before using the main sight.
just think of a point and shoot camera where you can see on its screen and can select picture mode as normal, sepia, black & white, inverted etc. consider the gunner is looking using normal optical mode and senses there is something at some long distance but cannot make out what that object is due to camouflage/ dust. he just operates the switch without moving his eye off the target and changes the mode to thermal to check heat signature. then switches to IR (or something else more appropriate) and confirms the object.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Nick_S wrote:Vikramaditya pics:
(Warning for slow net users - these are big pics)
http://pics.livejournal.com/kuleshovoleg/pic/000b9wfy
http://pics.livejournal.com/kuleshovoleg/pic/000b8s5c
What is the ugly looking beast on the right side of Vik with rows upon rows of missiles?
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

err one of the Slava types

Don't call it Ugly

Philip saar wants it in the Indian battle group along with some Kirovs :)
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Surya wrote:err one of the Slava types

Don't call it Ugly

Philip saar wants it in the Indian battle group along with some Kirovs :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You have got to admit, there is oomph factor in that meanicing ugliness. I wouldn't mind a heavy missile cruiser in our battle groups either. A made in India, stealth cruises, with 1000 KM hypersonic Brahmos in vertically launched array. With a Electromagentic rail gun (or two) for fast firing anti-missile counter measures. Couple of heli's in fully covered docks. A full anti-sub suite, etc.

(Guess Singha's thought process are contagious)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

adityadange wrote:
rohitvats wrote:OK. Gentlemen, since I have irrefutable upper hand in this, let me pontificate. I have been INSIDE the ARJUN (eat your hearts out...evil laugh..hahahaha) and I have put my eye on that monocle. The eye actually rests on the monocle but not on the metal. The thick black rubber thing around the monocle is what supports (and cushions) the eye with forehead resting on the band above. Same arrangement in Arjun and same arrangement in T-72.

labels on the switches suggests those are to be used while looking into the sight.
In fact they don't look complex at all and anyone who has played a computer (or cellphone) game should be able to master those controls and use them even with his eyes on the eyepiece. They are mostly to shift between day sight and thermal sight, with contrast and brightness enhancement and a laser ranger down below. There is one control for field of view.

The whole system seems to be a standard off the shelf item made by some OIP sensor systems (or some European desh). This seems to be one of Arjun's imported components
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Never seen the INSAS in this colour before. Needs a scope though.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BTEOwez9vgI/T ... SHAN-5.jpg
Last edited by Gerard on 21 Apr 2012 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed inlining
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Viv S.
Thats part of sniping demonstration by Assam Rifles during Ex Sudarshan Shakti 2011. This is the spotter which explains the lack of scopes. The following pic shows the actual sniper carrying an SVD.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BqzfAYCD5Zk/T ... SHAN-4.jpg
Do you remember the "flying sniper" pics posted during that exercise? They are the very same guys.
http://media.courierpress.com/media/img ... n_t607.jpg

http://www.france24.com/fr/files_fr/ima ... 44-1-0.jpg
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

silod wrote:Chacko Brother,

USS Carl Vinson will be active in Bay of Bengal in coming days. As you always seem to have the first-hand pictures, can you post some nice snaps of this giant here in this forum?
One good pic I found

F/A-18F recovers aboard the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson during Malabar Exercise 2012
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

I've been inside Arjun too and partially inside T-90. :P
Didn't go all the way inside T-90 as I was carrying a heavy DSLR around my neck and was not so sure about getting it safely in and out. Arjun is much more spacious than T-90 which in turn is very cramped.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

Defence Minister of Kyrgyzstan checks out the Modern Sub Machine Carbine [MSMC]
http://t.co/PA6RhKrJ

Cannon-launched Guided Missile
http://t.co/Twv7skU6

:rotfl:

it appears Facebook now openly offers itself as a convinient platform for trading in Russian weapons

SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

This is the first time I am seeing a portion of IAF base being censored in google maps. (gr8 initiative by IAF)
[img http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/306/bagh.png[/img]

Another thing I am curious about is the Mig-21's in the image below. Are they dummy :?: :-? or retired Mig's . If anyone can identify. :)

[img http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/650/bagh1.png[/img]
Last edited by Rahul M on 14 Apr 2012 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please do not post large images inline.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

an IAF MiG-29 [Fulcrum]

http://t.co/fo7hMsIo

---------------------------
Malabar 2012

http://t.co/KMu9gpa6
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

^Very nice pikchures. :)
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

^^From the malabar 2012 album:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/compacflt/6926837142/

Blue M4? Is that real?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

nachiket wrote:^^From the malabar 2012 album:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/compacflt/6926837142/

Blue M4? Is that real?
Used for practice/exercises IIRC
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

Kora-class Corvette, INS Kora

https://t.co/yi4ldGUW
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Indian army soldiers stand guard outside an army base in Handwara, about 75 Kilometers (47 miles) north of Srinagar, India, Friday, April 6, 2012. At least five suspected Islamic militants were killed in India's portion of Kashmir during a gunbattle in the forest area late Thursday, army and police officials said.