INS Vikrant: News and Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Re: INS Vikrant News and Discussion

Post by Cybaru »

brar_w wrote:JThis will let the copilot, a rarity among carrier-based planes, handle some mission tasks.
Yeah, thats not a plus point, its because there is a need for more people on board and they can't afford to add another body to do the task. So the co-pilot is forced to take on extra responsibility. Kinda funny thats spun as a positive feature by a force that likes redundancy and 2 drivers per fighter aircraft to reduce crew load! :rotfl: The C model was/is terrible.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Yeah, thats not a plus point, its because there is a need for more people on board and they can't afford to add another body to do the task. So the co-pilot is forced to take on extra responsibility. Kinda funny thats spun as a positive feature by a force that likes redundancy and 2 drivers per fighter aircraft to reduce crew load! :rotfl: The C model was/is terrible.
That's an interesting observation considering that we spent a full page talking about how the E-2D is on the verge of being replaced by a combination of Triton and CBARS (in addition to quite a few other totally Google'able false performance claims)... :eek:

It would be interesting to chat to someone that has done both the C and the D with the latter's higher level of automation, fusion of information, and reduced workload. However, if you compare to an E-3, P-8 or other modern larger AEW, then yeah the navy fellows would have to work harder under more cramped conditions. They've done it in the past and they'll do it with the D where more automation and computing no doubt aids in the ops. The same OEM and others (NG, LMA, Raytheon and Boeing) are going to take over the entire JSTARS mission without about half the crew. The same is going to happen during the E-3 recap a decade from now. Its just the way this particular technology is headed.

http://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabili ... ooklet.pdf
Last edited by brar_w on 02 May 2016 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

brar_w wrote:
That's an interesting observation considering that we spent a full page talking about how the E-2D is on the verge of being replaced by a combination of Triton and CBARS... :eek:

It would be interesting to chat to someone that has done both the C and the D
I knew you would say that! :) Thats why the specific tarp at C model! Thats also what happens when you try and do all processing on-board the aircraft. There isn't enough people or compute power on that tiny craft to do it. Offload it to the ground controller on the ship. Do it there. You can put more power and people at the same problem.

That rotating radar adds too much complexity and weight (I am sure the hydraulics to rotate a large panel must not be trivial) can be modernized like what we did with the phalcon. Sure everything costs money. Our problem needs our solution and something we should be ready to invest in.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

I knew you would say that! :) Thats why the specific tarp at C model! Thats also what happens when you try and do all processing on-board the aircraft. There isn't enough people or compute power on that tiny craft to do it. Offload it to the ground controller on the ship. Do it there. You can put more power and people at the same problem.
The C model is irrelevant now that its no longer in production or on offer. With the D, I am yet to hear, or read about any issues pertaining to lack of processing. All indications seem to point to ample amount of access to processing allowing them to make the sensor design trades (it takes quite a significant amount of processing to go ahead with the UHF sensor as opposed to the next step up to an L band sensor which would have been far easier and NG could have modified the T/R elements from the MESA). Again, plenty of data available in open source but I am just about done digging up stuff to debunk..
That rotating radar adds too much complexity and weight (I am sure the hydraulics to rotate a large panel must not be trivial) can be modernized like what we did with the phalcon
Why and How would you modernize the rotating array? and what benefits (and at what cost) would you seek to get out of it. And here were were debating saving money on a CAT, while all this time wanting to complete design change a working weapons system :(( . I also don't like the nose..just doesn't work for me. Lets change that too. :mrgreen:

BTW, Lockheed did offer a one time a full up AESA and I don't think the USN would mind if someone else paid to develop and mature that sensor (they deemed it an unnecessary cost and risk for the D as far as cost and timeline was concerned) that they can use for the E, or to mount on the secret unmanned AEW that is right around the corner :wink: . India is however not a UAE the last I checked..willing to pay for someone else's R&D.
Last edited by brar_w on 02 May 2016 23:06, edited 4 times in total.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Why must IN get a land based AEW in form of E-2D or other american variants? Why not more Embraer AEW for example (assuming ofcourse it has the air to sea modes)? Lets order 4 more right away and ask IAF to allocate them for maritime tasks.

Secondly, even if we do have aircraft based AEW, venturing into SCS for ops is not likely. That will have to be done by our submarines.

Proponents of supercarrier approach are creating a situation where we have to buy add on E-2Ds, EMALs, SSNs, F-35s, rail guns, electric propulsion and gold standard hardware which will consume our capital budget. That may be indeed be desirable, but it can wait in 2040+ timeframe.

What we should aim for is sea control over IOR which will need numbers. Build numerous Vikrant CVs with LCA based airwings and helicopter based AEW supported by a sizeable AEW and LRMR fleet operating from Lakshwadeep, A&N, Mainland, Mauritius, Oman and Seychelles bases. Let our AIP equipped SSKs prowl in all choke points. Not to forget Su-30MKIs with that big ass brahmos missile. Heron and Heron TPs can provide targetting data via SATCOM to shore, surface and subsurface Nirbhay-N firing units.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Proponents of supercarrier approach are creating a situation where we have to buy add on E-2Ds, EMALs, SSNs, F-35s, rail guns, electric propulsion and gold standard hardware which will consume our capital budget. That may be indeed be desirable, but it can wait in 2040+ timeframe.
Its rather unfair to characterize a particular pov with such a statement especially given the last 2 pages of discussion. I don't think anyone here has advocated a super-carrier. CAT's have existed on carriers ranging from high 20K tons to nearly 100K tons. You don't need the extreme right side of that trade to make them work.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

brar_w wrote:
That rotating radar adds too much complexity and weight (I am sure the hydraulics to rotate a large panel must not be trivial) can be modernized like what we did with the phalcon
Why and How would you modernize the rotating array? and what benefits (and at what cost) would you seek to get out of it. And here were were debating saving money on a CAT, while all this time wanting to complete design change a working weapons system :(( . I also don't like the nose..just doesn't work for me. Lets change that too. :mrgreen:
I have been saying why just the nose. Get rid of that craft altogether! Wanting something like this on our ship forces us down a path that may add billions to the cost. I think there is a difference between reworking a radar and designing a ship to add a heavier class of payload launch. One is probably in 10-100 million vs billion or a few billion on the other side esp given we don't even know what EMALS cost.

Anyways enough from me on this topic.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

brar ji,

I was missing the alternate point of view in the above conversations. I am not a fan of what is effectively a USN template to carrier based air power. If we go for a smaller AC, how many E-2s do you think it can base? In truth you are looking at a super carrier option or at least 65000 ton

We should examine desi, cheaper ways to building the air picture. For example, we could mount volume search radars atop our OPVs and ensure we have enough satellites based bandwidth to disseminate to the fleet.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Aditya G wrote:Why must IN get a land based AEW in form of E-2D or other american variants? Why not more Embraer AEW for example (assuming ofcourse it has the air to sea modes)? Lets order 4 more right away and ask IAF to allocate them for maritime tasks.

Secondly, even if we do have aircraft based AEW, venturing into SCS for ops is not likely. That will have to be done by our submarines.

What we should aim for is sea control over IOR which will need numbers. Build numerous Vikrant CVs with LCA based airwings and helicopter based AEW supported by a sizeable AEW and LRMR fleet operating from Lakshwadeep, A&N, Mainland, Mauritius, Oman and Seychelles bases. Let our AIP equipped SSKs prowl in all choke points. Not to forget Su-30MKIs with that big ass brahmos missile. Heron and Heron TPs can provide targetting data via SATCOM to shore, surface and subsurface Nirbhay-N firing units.
+1
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Wanting something like this on our ship forces us down a path that may add billions to the cost.
Really..Billions? I guess you went with the most expensive option - Nuclear+EMALS/AAG.
I think there is a difference between reworking a radar and designing a ship to add a heavier class of payload launch.
Yup, rework the radar but don't exercise the CATOBAR option and have no ship to launch the heavily modified E-2D from but LAND.
One is probably in 10-100 million vs billion or a few billion on the other side esp given we don't even know what EMALS cost.
$10-$100 Million? How did you come up with that?
Wanting something like this on our ship forces us down a path that may add billions to the cost.
Or may add only tens to hundreds of millions ($) if the lower end of the design trade is chosen?
If we go for a smaller AC, how many E-2s do you think it can base? In truth you are looking at a super carrier option or at least 65000 ton
isn't that the size that many are speculating for the IAC-2? CAT or no CAT? The Charles De Gaulle is a sub 40,000 ton AC, and has operated 3 E-2's vs the USN's standard deployment of 4 E-2C's (and now 5 E-2D's).
Here's one with multiple fighter types and 2 E-2's on deck

http://www.jeffhead.com/worldwideaircra ... lle-03.jpg

You don't need a 70-100K ton AC to carry multiple AEW assets. Also, as the CdG demonstrates on each deployment, you also don't need crazy high displacement to support CATOBAR. The overall displacement would obviously be dictated by other air-wing requirements that are mission scope dependent.
Last edited by brar_w on 02 May 2016 23:46, edited 2 times in total.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

brar_w wrote:
One is probably in 10-100 million vs billion or a few billion on the other side esp given we don't even know what EMALS cost.
$10-$100 Million? How did you come up with that?
I called the US Navy headquarters for a quote. They ballparked it for me! ;)
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

^ Were they the ones that also said that the V-22 has a higher ceiling than an E-2D? ;)
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Cybaru wrote:
Aditya G wrote:Why must IN get a land based AEW in form of E-2D or other american variants? Why not more Embraer AEW for example (assuming ofcourse it has the air to sea modes)? Lets order 4 more right away and ask IAF to allocate them for maritime tasks.

+1
Multiple issues:

1) Why even a carrier in the first place? Invest all those funds in more Rafale (that carry nukes). Lakshwadeep, A&N, Mainland, Mauritius, Oman and Seychelles bases. should cover everything that a carrier would

2) 2040 is INS Vishal. You have to decide on what to gold plate now - for the next 70 years or so. What is this gold and how much of it to use to plate a carrier is something India has to decide. Based on what Modi and Co., seem to be articulating, IN will get far more gold than what was given to IN in the past. Because of the economy - not to go to war, unless forced to

3) Build more Vikrant CV: As a thumb rule: Each such smaller CV costs about 75% of a large CV and provides about a third of the power. So, Vikrant I + II + III will cost 2.25 times a Vishal (at the lower end) and be as effective as one Vishal in power projection. "Small" CV does not mean it is much cheaper - the cost factor is NOT linear

4) Finally, Phase I is IOR, Phase II is "beyond". The discussion going on are the start of Phase II. IOR is a point for discussion only from a collaboration PoV

5) Unless India plans on doing business only in the IOR, the IN will have to think wider. IN will need a setup that is based on the US experience, may not be the assets

This is where people of getting confused. In the past the In was about "defending borders". Going forward it is about defending interests.
Last edited by NRao on 02 May 2016 23:38, edited 1 time in total.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

X-deleted
Last edited by Cybaru on 02 May 2016 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Aheeem.. <cough> <cough> I think you mentioned that V-22 had higher ceiling than the E-2D! :) I didn't need the US navy guys for that one... :mrgreen:
brar_w wrote:
Just that E2 based AEW may not be the answer for us. We need to look at what tactical use cases we have and figure out if we really need to make 100K boats just so that we can launch E2-Ds as that capability in a better form might be available from a land based asset.
You don't need a 100K carrier to launch E-2's. The french do so from a 42K carrier, and the brits could have done so on the QE's had they gone in for Steam CAT's, or EMALS which the US DOD study deemed as doable even without the nuclear option (although with very tight margins).

The problem with Helo based AEW isn't ONLY the lack of sensor capability, but also the lack of reach and the ability to pivot along with the carrier air-wing as they switch from defensive to offensive.
Can that extra 100-150 kms be made up with a land based asset or some other method? Is this the only organic way to solve that problem?
If 100 km - 150km is the number to beat...than you can maybe try out some other approaches to get significantly better performance. The V-22 is a great platform to try something like that out since it has the payload capacity, higher ceiling, SwAP surplus, speed and range. But even it, will be grossly inferior to the E-2D.

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SpazSin ... 2.gif.html

Relying on constant orbits, from land just puts a bigger target on those bases that these things operate from, and severely constraints the flexibility, and deployability of the carrier - things you buy the carrier for in the first place. If the threat was less severe you can get away but the current threat has long range bombers, long range cruise missiles, stealth fighters in development, AEGIS like ships, and will have a fleet of carriers of its own.
Last edited by Cybaru on 02 May 2016 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

I think you mentioned that V-22 had higher ceiling than the E-2D! :) I didn't need the US navy guys for that one... :mrgreen:
I guess you must have been confused since I was speaking in the context of a V-22 comparison to a traditional helo based AEW. The E-2D obviously has a ceiling into the 30K feet range.
The problem with Helo based AEW isn't ONLY the lack of sensor capability, but also the lack of reach and the ability to pivot along with the carrier air-wing as they switch from defensive to offensive
^ The part immediately above the portion you quoted. All of the V-22 benefits mentioned there are in comparison to a helo based solution and not the E-2D.

Hence the last part :
But even it, will be grossly inferior to the E-2D - [In most of these metrics]
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Okay, my bad. I misunderstood you. Anyways, I am done with this. I think there are other ways to skin the cat(obar) and designing a ship to take on cats or emals to put an under rated platform isn't the most ideal in my opinion.
Last edited by Cybaru on 02 May 2016 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

redesigning a ship to take on cats or emals to put an under rated platform isn't the most ideal in my opinion.
The IAC-2 design is complete? (or else why the re-design?)
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Semantics. change redesign to design in my sentence. Happy?? :)
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

So they are yet to finalize the design of the IAC-2, but we don't want to design it to incorporate CAT's (steam or EM) even if the trades point favorably towards it because the only benefit the CAT's offer is the launch of an under rated, complicated, high workload, AEW that offers no significant improvement in capability that itself is dated since UAV's are just about ready to take over that mission (with the HALE triton leading that charge)... Understood!
Last edited by brar_w on 03 May 2016 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

brar

any useful discussion anywhere ( links / references) about the V-22 AWACS especially vs E2 on our forums.
if not ...

could you enrich our understanding of which is the right fit for Vikrant and Vishaal and what your take is on the matter.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

NRao wrote: 3) Build more Vikrant CV: As a thumb rule: Each such smaller CV costs about 75% of a large CV and provides about a third of the power. So, Vikrant I + II + III will cost 2.25 times a Vishal (at the lower end) and be as effective as one Vishal in power projection. "Small" CV does not mean it is much cheaper - the cost factor is NOT linear
Is that true? Wasp class carriers cost 750 million vs 11 to 13.5 billion for ford cost. ( may not be the best comparison )
What about cost of operations of small vs big ships?

It's 7 million a day for ford class of ships or 2.5 billion a year multiplied by 60 years and inflation. I couldn't find any number for the wasp class.

How often could we afford to operate our older ships Vikrant/Viraat every year over the years? If you are going to have three or four carriers, how many can we afford to keep in the water for how long of operations?
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Khalsa wrote:brar

any useful discussion anywhere ( links / references) about the V-22 AWACS especially vs E2 on our forums.
if not ...

could you enrich our understanding of which is the right fit for Vikrant and Vishaal and what your take is on the matter.

Sir, there is no right fit. It all depends what they want the shape of the Vikrant--Vishal evolution to be. Is the Vishal to be designed as scaled up (40,000-60,000 ton class) vessel, or do they want to selectively add capability along with size. If they choose the latter, there is a capability enhancement trade-space that comes out of the cost-v-capability analysis with conventional power + CAT being the lower end (cost wise) and the Nuclear+EMALS/AAG being the higher end (cost wise). There are also multiple things they can do in between. From the air-wing perspective, the CATS allow full stores and fuel state utilization for all light, medium to large sized naval figthers opening up the door to the Rafale-M, PAKFA, AMCA or F-35C. All these aircraft are legitimate candidates as thet IN grows its capability over the next 3-5 decades - or at least should be since neither the threat, or the demand is likely to stay the same in between that time. AEW offers as many defensive benefits as does offensive and AEW enabled Net-Centric fleet defense is where the most advanced navies are headed (IDF is opening up this possibility thanks to the Barak-8ER development).

Unfortunately, I can't analyze since the data required for any valid design choice isn't really available open source. That would be the IN's call. However, you can't really approach these things with pre set notions on cost or capability as cost varies depending on design choices and its blatantly obvious that some are simply stuck as the cost of the Ford because they can't look at the trade space that also allows lower cost, 50-60K ton, carrier using conventional CAT's and conventional energy source. They only see EMALS and nuclear as the alternative to the ski ramp.

Then there is a preconceived notion with some that organic AEW isn't all that its made out to be, and anything and everything will be used to drive that home, including making totally absurd and baseless claims of XYZ replacing the USN AEW's and even going so far as claiming that the E-2D that IOC'd just a few months ago, is going to be obsolete in a decades time even before all the aircraft are acquired (contrary to a host of technical things but also to common sense). If you approach this with pre-conceived biases you will end up with false choices - and the acquisition and operator community within the IN that isn't likely to make those mistakes.

Before you even consider doing a back of the envelop analysis of what the IN needs however do be weary of the false choices such as :

- CAT's and things like larger fighters, E-2 or similar AEW's are only there on super carriers
- EMALS is for super carriers with costs in the double digit $Billions
- Organic AEW can be easily replaced by constant land based orbits
- CAT option costs Billions over and above the current ski ramp
- USN itself is doing away with manned AEW
- There is a Global Hawk variant that replaces the US AEW etc etc etc

My own opinion (its totally back of the envelope because unlike some here I can't put a dollar amount on anything here or do any form of analysis worth anything) is that the IN can afford, and will ultimately acquire a larger 60-65K AC with a CATOBAR. What it needs to determine along with the operator, acquisition and architect community is whether to take the highest cost approach, or stay somewhere in the middle of the cost curve. IMHO they would not exercise the nuclear option at this time but of course anything is possible. Such a ship i.e. 60-65K ton vessel with conventional propulsion and Steam based CAT, would probably come at a cost premium but wold be well worth the added capability particularly in the flexibility it provides the IN when it comes to adjust the quality and quantity of the air wing over the vessel design life.

if not ...
V-22 AWACS was just a fanboy proposal, although mounting traditional Helo based AEW sensors have been suggested for the aircraft as the US Marines look to continue that program post delivery completion. They also have a need for AEW on their flattops that don't have a CAT but are unlikely to be able to afford anything fancy (besides a RORO kit).
Wasp class carriers cost 750 million vs 11 to 13.5 billion for ford cost. ( may not be the best comparison )
What about cost of operations of small vs big ships?
WASP isn't a carrier. Ford is a nuclear powered carrier with a very very high design life, 100k displacement, and a ton of cutting edge technology that is in development, or advanced testing.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Also, even if we are to take the largely absurd and irrelevant cost comparisons of two different ship building sectors in India and the US (different experience, different cost structure, different manpower requirements etc etc) we get the CVN-77, a 100K ton class Super carrier with CATOBAR, cost at roughly $6.2 Billion vs the IAC-1 estimated cost of between $3 and $3.5 Billion ( Mrityunjoy Mazumdar, Janes Defense Weekly, 11/2015 ). Thats not a linear cost increase from a 40,000 Ton class carrier with a ski ramp to a 100K ton class carrier with a CATOBAR, and nuclear propulsion. The point of this is obviously not to make a false claim that the $6.2 Billion cost of the Bush and raegan can be scaled down to a 60K ton class carrier, but to hopefully put to rest the absurd notion that if India were to ditch the Ski ramp for the CAT and a beefier air-wing the carrier cost would be in double digit Billions because the Ford came in at that as if there are simply two choices in front of the IN -

- Existing ski-ramp
- EMALS and Nuclear Propulsion
It's 7 million a day for ford class of ships or 2.5 billion a year multiplied by 60 years and inflation. I couldn't find any number for the wasp class.

How often could we afford to operate our older ships Vikrant/Viraat every year over the years? If you are going to have three or four carriers, how many can we afford to keep in the water for how long of operations?
Thats a totally wrong comparison (Both comparing the Nimitz to a Wasp, or a Nimitz vs Wasp comparison to a more capable carrier vs less capable carrier comparison). What is included in that annual cost? Does it include manpower cost? If what is included is relevant, it would only be so if someone is asking the IN to buy the Ford Class carrier, with its associated air-wing. Whats the daily cost to operate the CDG? Of course without manpower cost, unless someone projects that Indian sailors are to be soon paid in USD or Euros based on EU and US PPP. (Its my time to ask questions :) ).

Quick google fu :
Carrier strike groups are expensive to buy and to operate. Factoring in the total life-cycle costs of an associated carrier air wing, five surface combatants and one fast-attack submarine, plus the nearly 6,700 men and women to crew them, it costs about $6.5 million per day to operate each strike group.
So we have gone from a cost of a carrier per day, to the cost of the entire group, its associated air wing, and including the entire manpower cost of the carrier. Now that we have clarified this we can move over and look at how much each one of the 6700 sailors in the USN gets in terms of salaries and benefits and compare that to an IN sailor (in USD). Of course the IN isn't interested in the Wasp, and the Wasp isn't a carrier, built for a carrier like mission, or tasked with such..therefore rendering any comparison between its operations and that of a CVN completely useless.

Only if the IN is interested in buying either the Wasp or a Nimitz, and buys the Nimitz class carrier, buys an exclusively US made support setup that is a carbon copy of the US fleet, and of course mans these boats with US sailors - would these daily cost be relevant for a valid comparison.

But even if we leave that aside..how is any of this relevant to a legit cost-comparison between a 60,000 Ton IAC-2 with a ski-ramp, or a 60,000 Ton IAC-2 with CATOBAR?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

also bear in mind indian carriers will not until 2030+ have the 9 month deployment cycles of the american carriers. they will have shorter missions and spend more time dockside, so opex will be lower whatever be the power plant or technology.
same goes for any of IN ships...we do not spend as much time at sea in one go as a USN ship due to nature of our patrol areas.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

CY,

After this point I give up (I assume you have not seen that vid).

The thumb rule - as I understood it - applied to IN.
Singha wrote:also bear in mind indian carriers will not until 2030+ have the 9 month deployment cycles of the american carriers. they will have shorter missions and spend more time dockside, so opex will be lower whatever be the power plant or technology.
same goes for any of IN ships...we do not spend as much time at sea in one go as a USN ship due to nature of our patrol areas.
Post 2030 there are many potential alternatives. So, IF India were to accept the task of leading the SCS littoral nations, then that would contribute to the greatest deviation from what we experience today. No matter what the Phase II expects around Africa, Antarctica and all the way to Alaska - that is the area of interest projected by the IN. 9 months, perhaps not. But perhaps yes, potential is there. That is the challenge - how does one project out to 2080. And, there is no way that a carrier can be modified to accept revolutionary changes - SJump to steam to EMALS.

Interesting times.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Karan M wrote:^^ I most certainly would!
Why? Esp. When the drdo aew is already available and the awacs, right around the corner?
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

At the risk of making a fool of myself, and annoying the mods to boot, here is a question about this sea based AEW issue:

Why couldn't two flankers be tasked to fly a holding pattern with the CBG as the center at a distance of 50km from the mothership. Each plane is at the exact opposite node of the pattern flying in the same direction. This way it should be able to a) cover about 600-800km (300km in each direction) of airspace with few blind spots and transmit relatively large amounts to and from the ship and thereby counter the difficulty of fewer operators vs. a trueblue AEW.

Advantages also include -
STOBAR capability,
cheap,
very high flight ceiling meaning better OTH coverage,
high endurance, esp. if equipped with EFTs, and AAR capable
possibility of side arrays
possibility of rear coverage although not heavily needed since we are talking of two planes airborne flying behind each other at
possibility of L band coverage via t/r modules on the wings ala pakfa and Su-35

The above possibilities are not "paper" capabilities but have been demonstrated to some extent with the flanker (except the side arrays). By the time we are looking at operationalizing a 65-100K ton carrier, there should be a lot of improvement in TRM capability with the proliferation of GaN modules - a lot of the past limitations in power output and coverage might be addressed.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Singha wrote:also bear in mind indian carriers will not until 2030+ have the 9 month deployment cycles of the american carriers. they will have shorter missions and spend more time dockside, so opex will be lower whatever be the power plant or technology.
I quoted Tellis in another thread. There is clearly a motivated attempt by Khan and its shills to force, coerce, coax India into buying overpriced gear which it does not need.

They really really want us to stop making big ticket stuff on our own. Its all ok if its a few TDs and stuff for which they'll agree to release tech and engines etc. But if it starts hampering their geo goal of having us load up on their stuff, or become independent policy wise.. issues.

I wonder WTF was going through ADA and GTREs head when they chose GE404 for Mk2/Mk1A.

IMO it was a political decision foisted on by great Shri MMS with justifications brought in later for explaining it away.

Much like Barak-8 and other quasi-dubious deals.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the flankers would be very limited even in terms of the side looking radar aperture....the EMB145 has a antenna with some 15 feet length and probably lot more power to radiate.

and ofcourse no onboard processing will be feasible. this inflight raw data would be subject to some weather and jamming related issues perhaps.

if the task force is 1000km out, you can do the math of keeping 2 flankers over it 24x7, you'd need a refueler to use them properly, and planes in transit to and fro from land base to keep things up ... and multiple refuelers....its simply not viable vs a simple organic KA31AEW solution even.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

The kamovs have very low endurance compared to the flanker, and the IN still manages, flanker should do much better. With 3x efts it will only get a lot better.
Not to mention the possibility of buddy refuelling.

for processing how much onboard processing is possible with the kamov....hence the proximity to mothership, which would alleviate jamming and weather issues.

Far better capability than the current kamov setup I would think.

The problem would be with radar size and power source as you point out although I'm not entirely sure if it can't be adequately modded with additional apus and antennas...iirc there was a podded radar carried by the flogger. And the flanker has a lot of space between nacelles if one eft is dropped. Or how about creating space by widening the spine ala cft?

Time for india to truly tinker with the mki like cheen does with any of its imports
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Advantages also include -
STOBAR capability,
cheap,
very high flight ceiling meaning better OTH coverage,
high endurance, esp. if equipped with EFTs, and AAR capable
possibility of rear coverage although not heavily needed since we are talking of two planes airborne flying behind each other at

The above possibilities are not "paper" capabilities but have been demonstrated to some extent with the flanker (except the side arrays). By the time we are looking at operationalizing a 65-100K ton carrier, there should be a lot of improvement in TRM capability with the proliferation of GaN modules - a lot of the past limitations in power output and coverage might be addressed.
You do realize that none of the sensor solution you mention would provide any sort of AEW capability in the long range surveillance sense?
So the Indian flankers can get side arrays? And how will they add tot he radar coverage in terms of range? Finally, whats the range/payload penalty of the flanker taking off of from a IAC-1?
You will still run into physics.
By the time we are looking at operationalizing a 65-100K ton carrier, there should be a lot of improvement in TRM capability with the proliferation of GaN modules
GaN is not a magic bullet and won't give a fire control radar setup magical long range surveillance AEW capability. There are qualities which make a particular material and a particular radar setup suitable for a particular task. You unfortunately, cannot take the longest range of an FCR, superimpose it in the 360 and claim 360 degrees surveillance capability on an AEW orbit. Unfortunately, it does not work that way. Even with dedicated AEW's, with their dedicated sensor choices, you still have very heavy processing, different modes and a mix of all electronic, or mechanical and electronic scanning to meet the performance requirements in a dynamic environment, where multiple mission needs compete for resources (frequency choices, IFF choices, processing choices, and computing capability..and of course workstations and people to control and manage that). You can't tilt the requirements towards one aspect (as is done for a fighter) and then claim a legitimate AEW capability, in the 360 degree no less, with any deal of sincerity.
the EMB145 has a antenna with some 15 feet length and probably lot more power to radiate.
The radar frequency chosen lends itself better to very long range surveillance mission with obviously the challenge in processing that took years to hammer out. There is a reason why on the E-2D they stuck with a UHF ESA and why Northrop paid Lockheed nearly half a billion USD to develop tit instead of an L Band AESA, that northrop (and Lockheed) itself has been producing for various applications for some time now that they could have repackaged for this particular application. Mission requirements (low RCS cruise missiles, and aircraft plus very Long Range for stand against incoming sea skimmers) drove them there. Similarly, for land launched, Raytheon ( which incidentally also was a Lockheed team member and worked on the E-2D antenna) was driven towards a VHF (AESA) airborne radar for a similar mission (anti low flying -low RCS cruise missile defense). You can choose a higher frequency of course, but mission requirements (and other design requirements) and what within these get priorities drives these towards a certain direction.

For the current mission, the E-2D with its 24 ft diameter antenna is more than adequate since it gets around 2.5 times greater coverage than the AN/APS-145 it replaces. Of course other design trades could have dictated other design decisions. Had this been a land based aircraft, meant for mostly land based or littoral ops, perhaps they would have gone in with a much much larger higher frequency sensor but its maritime and littoral conditions, and USN's mission requirements against particularly the cruise missile threat (which also lends itself nicely to LO and VLO targets since the challenge is similar - small radar returns which particularly tend to get lower/smaller the higher up you go in frequency) is what drove the current trades. Net Centricity (CEC), and the DL nodes it carries would have ported over regardless of the sensor choice.

You can't really compare the E-2D and the EMB145 AEW unless you have a mission in mind and have some pre-set conditions that you value more than others. The E-2D is first and foremost a carrier based AEW, with a lot of focus towards maritime fleet defense challenges with littorals in mind as well. The EMB145 as a pocket AWACS will perform much better than the E-2D that has other roles that really drove its design requirements and sensor trades.
if the task force is 1000km out, you can do the math of keeping 2 flankers over it 24x7, you'd need a refueler to use them properly, and planes in transit to and fro from land base to keep things up ... and multiple refuelers....its simply not viable vs a simple organic KA31AEW solution even.
A fighter based FCR enabled AEW orbit cant really be called AEW capability..but as I said earlier, I am happy to play along ;) But one question still remains unanswered : Can a modified Flanker, with a FCR like performing 360 radar and a centerline SAR pod, plus some weapons (I would assume) or fuel tanks (have been suggested) take off from the IAC-1 and if so, whats the TOS like say 300 km from the carrier given the maximum fuel state with which it can indeed take off?
Last edited by brar_w on 03 May 2016 15:09, edited 7 times in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the only centerline recce pod tested on flankers is the M400 , it is a SAR radar with a 100km range to the sides to pick targets and conduct recce

heard but never seen pics of the semi-mythical komar radar pod that was considered for Mig27 limited upg by IAF.

have seen a pic of a kopyo radar pod for Frogfoots.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Again, how well does the SAR pod perform when tasked to execute the various surveillance modes in the AEW sense? My point is/was that its there for a different role/purpose while an AEW and its sensors, processing has modes and performance requirements tailored to the long range surveillance mission. We aren't talking about just generating SAR maps here, in which case this pod will be miles ahead of any AEW radar short of the higher frequency dedicated JSTARS like sensor setups. We are talking about advanced warning, in the 360 degree, against a plethora of threats, that cannot all be tasked operating over a single operating mode hence the ability through hardware and software to be flexible in your coverage, and be able to bump up significantly the revisit rates if the threat is challenging enough (just an example).

Where I am getting at is personal biases creeping in here. Fell free to completely redesign the Naval Flanker, or create a Navalized MKI, or a Navalized Su-35 (and/or a navalized PAKFA). Create the advanced processing, and sensor fusion required to somehow magically transform it into a 360 degrees, Advanced Early Warning aircraft (challenges pertaining to basic SE aside). To support such a 'new' flanker variant, fell free to grow the IAC-1 to support a true heavy weight fighter. Do all that on a budget, of course because its A) easy, and B ) Affordable (based on what costing data I don't know) Invest in all that, but don't even consider putting a standard CATOBAR (no EMALS/AAG, and no Nuclear propulsion)on the IAC-2 and don't even consider a sensitivity analysis based on the various choices because it just will be a dumb idea not necessary for Indian conditions etc etc etc. Don't care of the cost v capability trade of the CATOBAR enabling truly heavy fighter presence and operations and long range persistent AEW coverage and the fact that the CATOBAR would make operating future planned aircraft much easier allowing the IN to fully exploit their capability. But it shouldn't be considered. Some arguments have bordered total irrelevance as the suggestion that CATOBAR with AEW may = Super Carrier and these cost $7 Million per day etc etc. I mean at some point we have to try to consider all the collective design trades that the IAC-2 design team has and at least attempt a sincere and unbiased analysis of what capability can be acquired at what cost.

I am pretty positive that despite plenty of google'able information out there, we'll soon see another comment pop up claiming that CAT=Supercarrier in the 100K range..CDG be damned.

Last edited by brar_w on 03 May 2016 22:34, edited 2 times in total.
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

IN did evaluate and rejected E2D based on benefit vs cost(space on the carrier/money/technological leap) it promised. To me humble DRDO AEWACS is in a better shape now and needs more funding by the forces.

If helping AC is the task why not use US-2I amphibian along with desi aewacs radars to me that would be better suited to our requirements and or an UAV based AEWAC launched from AC. E-2D For IN ain't gonna happen as they say in massa land.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

IN did evaluate and rejected E2D based on benefit vs cost(space on the carrier/money/technological leap) it promised
Which carrier would the E-2D have taken off from? Besides, the option of organic E-2D (or something similar) isn't the only benefit of a CATOBAR. We aren't talking about the Vik or the IAC-1 but a new carrier that hasn't been fully designed yet, that they are exploring various capability enhancement options on ( such as - no redesign, simple increase in displacement, > displacement + Other capability enhancements etc etc_)
If helping AC is the task why not use US-2I amphibian along with desi aewacs radars to me that would be better suited to our requirements and or an UAV based AEWAC launched from AC. E-2D For IN ain't gonna happen as they say in massa land.
And how much will those complete re-designs, and completely new UAV cost?
Last edited by brar_w on 03 May 2016 17:00, edited 2 times in total.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

brar_w wrote:
IN did evaluate and rejected E2D based on benefit vs cost(space on the carrier/money/technological leap) it promised
Which carrier would the E-2D have taken off from?
Not carrier but land , Naval Air Bases
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Not carrier but land , Naval Air Bases
That's a completely differnet calculus as I have mentioned. You have to factor in the performance limitations when a land based aircraft must be rushed to a Carrier group, or in defense of other ships that may be far off..It isn't the same thing as an organic AEW taking off along with the strike fighters and performing persistent defensive duties for the fleet from a lot closer. If the USN had a STOBAR carrier and wanted to provide land based AEW to support it in a limited fashion, they would probably also design it a lot differently, at a different price point with different capability in support of that mission. I expect any land based E-2D operators will choose it because of its AEGIS and NIFC-CA integration above anything else since other options are available that offer better capacity if you are primarily interested in a pocket AWACS and those capabilities are extremely expensive to put into an existing AEW application (despite complete redesign, and new system startup projects that pop up during our discussions - some nations can't afford the scale and resource commitment required to build a custom platform for a unique requirement).
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

krishna_krishna wrote:IN did evaluate and rejected E2D based on benefit vs cost(space on the carrier/money/technological leap) it promised. To me humble DRDO AEWACS is in a better shape now and needs more funding by the forces.

Not sure. I do recall, years ago, IN did eval the E-2C (NOT the D variant) and that was proposed to be a land based asset and the IN then had punted.

The E-2D came out after that offer and NG offered the "D" and the latest I have is: Feb 3, 2016 :: India may buy four early warning E-2D Advanced Hawkeye aircraft for INS Vishal

The E-2D was never, from my recollection, evaluated by India. It was the E-2C that was. But ?????????

OK, found a ref for a presentation made by NG, to the IN, around 2103 - for the E-2D.
Last edited by NRao on 03 May 2016 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

D or C, it doesn't matter. If you are taking this out of a carrier and putting it on land then it will dramatically alter the calculus and how you evaluate it for many reasons (range, speed, size, work-stations, cost etc etc etc). That's not we are talking about here. What we are getting to is the gradual increase in capability from the Sea harrier days, to the Vik and to the IAC-2 each carrier costing more than the other and packing higher capability. What is under consideration, is how this trend continuous as the transition happens from the IAC-1 to IAC-2 and beyond.

As I had mentioned earlier, choices range from doing NOTHING (IAC-2 is the same as IAC-1 with perhaps reliability improvements) to a scaled up version of IAC-1, to Conventional propulsion + Increase in displacement + CATOBAR, to all the way up tot eh most expensive option - 60K ton displacement + Nuclear propulsion + EMALS...These are some of the choices that lie ahead. Each one of those capabilities comes with two sets of cost (among others). First is the cost to acquire the additional capability - for example, going from a STOBAR 40k Ton class carrier to a 60K ton class STOBAR or from a 60K STOBAR to a 60K CATOBAR etc etc. The other set of cost is in capability, as in what capability growth do you drive out as an option going forward. This is one area for example where the Brits are going to get butchered when they try to create unmanned options for their carrier. It also limits how effectively you can deploy future systems to their full potentials..Things like PAKFA, AMCA, AURA etc..Those may be worth it, but then again they may not.

That is where long term operational requirements and strategy comes into play. Transitioning towards the Mig-29 for a carrier that would be patrolling in the 2010's and 2020s (and beyond) was a smart idea..Sticking with the Sea-Harrier like setup would not have worked operationally (assuming the option was available). Similarly, the capability requirement growth for a carrier that would perhaps be designed for the post-2030 world needs to be established. Is a medium fighter operating using STOBAR fine or does the IN envision scenarios where it requires advanced fighters without capability limiters. That's the call they have to make - i.e. look at the operational environment (threat) 10-20 years out and predict what sort of carrier they would require patrolling the seas for the decades that follow (essentially in the 2030 - 2070 time-frame). That is the IAC-2 timeframe. The operational scenario that immediately precedes its service design life is not as important in considering its capability as the one that is likely to exist during its service life. When looking at cost increase go for the source of that cost increase - as in what is driving the higher capability demand, is it technology for the sake of technology, or is it an operational requirement being driven by threat assessment. The transition from the legacy carrier with sea-harriers to the IAC-1 with Barak-8 and Mig-29k's would have been driven mainly by the advances in the threat to not only the carrier but also to the other vessels it supports. That threat is only going to get multi-faceted and grow and unfortunately (this is where all Navies in the Asia Pacific region are going to run into a wall) the growth is unlikely to be linear.
Last edited by brar_w on 03 May 2016 17:50, edited 9 times in total.