Armoured Vehicles Discussion Thread - Jan 12, 2012

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Re: Armoured Vehicles Discussion Thread - Jan 12, 2012

Post by Austin »

That Ajai Shukla article on FMBT is nonsense and he as usual is not speaking the Truth , The DRDO Chief has stated in June this year that FMBT will be under 50 T

FMBT to focus on weight reduction of battle tanks, says DRDO chief
” On being asked about FMBT he said, “The idea is to reduce the weight of the tank. Developed nations such as the United States of America and Israel have been working on reducing the weights of battle tanks. Heavy weights of tanks affect their maneuverability. We are therefore looking to reduce the weight of FMBT to 50 tonnes each.”
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

alexis wrote: Arjun Mk1 is also similar, sir. It also performs as per specifications, mostly
Which is what I said, that happened as of 2007. As of 2007 a LSP of Arjun Mk I performed as per specifications. In comparison -- as of 1998-99 T 90s performed as per specifications in summer and winter tests in Rajasthan.

BTW>> Are the 124 Mk Is all delivered? No one seems to know.

Pls refer T-90 S problems in http://www.india-defence.com/reports/2081
If T-90 S had no problems, i would have welcomed it whole heartedly. I am still ok with T-90S as an interim solution; only the treatment to Arjun Mk1 by the same army is baffling and causes a lot of khujli for me that is untreatable.
Note this is a 2006 article.

There are three problems reported here
1) TI not working in "some" conditions.
2) Overuse in exercises.
3) Non availablity of ammo -- Indian made ammo was not working well.

Now 2 & 3 are not by far Tank issues. They are simply use/logistical issues, and in fact OFB issue on one.

1 is a tank issue -- interestingly it is with a Thales night sight which India had chosen to integrate with T 90, one of the MKIzation of T 90. This issue had since been solved (by 2007-8)

So yes, ONE tank issue in 2006 in specific condition -- since solved. Other issues of faulty ammo and so on, also solved (in many cases by junking OFB products and reimporting for Russia)

The production lacuane issue comes up every time if you see.

--------------------------------------------------

Interestingly the Ammo issues made it to Cab committe on defence affairs, but the TIs not working never did. There has never been official confirmation of that issue where as the other issues have had confirmation.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Austin wrote:That Ajai Shukla article on FMBT is nonsense and he as usual is not speaking the Truth , The DRDO Chief has stated in June this year that FMBT will be under 50 T

FMBT to focus on weight reduction of battle tanks, says DRDO chief
” On being asked about FMBT he said, “The idea is to reduce the weight of the tank. Developed nations such as the United States of America and Israel have been working on reducing the weights of battle tanks. Heavy weights of tanks affect their maneuverability. We are therefore looking to reduce the weight of FMBT to 50 tonnes each.”
Seems one can not trust Shukla to tell the correct time of the day even once a day anymore.

The Bu****** is forever exploring new depths.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

This whole business of GSQR has suddenly begun to fascinate me. Mind you I don't have a clue as to who formulates GSQR and to whom they communicate it, but it seems likely that when the army (or other armed force) has a requirement the GSQR is formulated as a sort of "wish list".

I just wonder if there is (or there could be) a process by which all GSQRs are compared with national technical capability. That is to say that when a GSQR is formulated, it is handed to Indian Industry/DRDO and a panel of armed forces and industry experts sit and ask if the GSQR is possible to fulfil given India's national tech resources.

Within a few weeks of the formulation of GSQR the armed force and DRDO should be able to give a realistic estimate of what is possible and what is not. If, for example DRDO can honestly say (and deliver) much lower specs but in given time, they should say so up front. the army then gets a chance to decide whether they can accept lower standards or look for a foreign buyer. Once the latter course is decided, the army too sold know that it will be costly, may get delayed by scams and may be subject to EULA/sanctions. That should give them a chance to brainstorm and see what can be done in house.

I am wild guessing here but it seems to me that so far, in India, the armed force comes up with a way out wish list far above what can be done in India or anywhere else. As if that were not enough, someone in DRDO does not say "We can't do it". They say "Hey OK we gonna try and deliver in 2 years." And they can't.

I really would like to know more about the process.
Anand K
BRFite

Post by Anand K »

^^
As in a Project Risk Analysis approach?
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

shiv wrote: I really would like to know more about the process.
I am sure that you already know it, but the current process is that once a requirement is raised by the forces, it is given to the committee including members of DRDO to comment on it, i.e. whether it can be made in house, whether it can be acquired, whether a tech import, partnership is better etc.

It is only post that the requirements get made into a formal RFI or project definition for the industry.

I suspect the reason of going with the "best" is because no one wants to take the risk of saying "manage with less", or "we cant do it" for the fear of getting their asses handed back to them if wrong.

Hence everyone, including DRDO says yes, yes to everything and the babu's are happy to pass the buck around, knowing fully well that
delay != failure
in India.

If something is done, and it does not work, its a big problem, but accepting a request and keep dragging on it is fully WIP and demonstration of great and HARD work ethic.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

I just wonder if there is (or there could be) a process by which all GSQRs are compared with national technical capability. That is to say that when a GSQR is formulated, it is handed to Indian Industry/DRDO and a panel of armed forces and industry experts sit and ask if the GSQR is possible to fulfil given India's national tech resources.
Yes.

DRDO, etc had started a capability matrix: who, where, within the country, can do what type of a matrix. This is expected to allow them to match the requirements to capabilities and even perhaps provide a quick time line.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Sanku wrote:
shiv wrote: I really would like to know more about the process.
I am sure that you already know it, but the current process is that once a requirement is raised by the forces, it is given to the committee including members of DRDO to comment on it, i.e. whether it can be made in house, whether it can be acquired, whether a tech import, partnership is better etc.

It is only post that the requirements get made into a formal RFI or project definition for the industry.

I suspect the reason of going with the "best" is because no one wants to take the risk of saying "manage with less", or "we cant do it" for the fear of getting their asses handed back to them if wrong.

Hence everyone, including DRDO says yes, yes to everything and the babu's are happy to pass the buck around, knowing fully well that
delay != failure
in India.

If something is done, and it does not work, its a big problem, but accepting a request and keep dragging on it is fully WIP and demonstration of great and HARD work ethic.
Your description of the state of affairs sounds realistic to me. But it also indicates a degree of national stupidity at the highest levels among armed forces, technocrats and government.

I think we observers and taxpayers have a duty to point out national stupidity and denial where it is clearly occurring. If what you say is true (as it seems to be) it is not treason. It is not inefficiency. It is plain stupidity. People at the highest levels are showing hamfisted two left thumb ability at problem solving. Mind you this is not the only example of supreme national stupidity. It occurs in all branches at all levels.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

most of you probably know the AH64A was the plan-B derisked option for the plan-A that was cancelled - the AH56 Cheyenne...it was a helicopter but with a warthog type fuselage and big wings with a pusher prop in the tail. pretty hellacious piece of work looking at how fast and nimble it was. and a meaty 30mm cannon that could fire 360'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-kKlHF-Chc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JikYhxN-awk
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Bahut maar khaya hai bhai...we need the ah56 cheyenne resurrected, get 250 and unleash them in a moving air strike group with top cover.
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

Singha wrote:Bahut maar khaya hai bhai...we need the ah56 cheyenne resurrected, get 250 and unleash them in a moving air strike group with top cover.
Surely you mean LCH, Sirjee .... :mrgreen:

--Ashish
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

cheyenne >> LCH/apache. its a helicopter only in name...its more like a warthog with VTOL. that meaty 30mm underslung cannon + the minigun in the nose + those big wings to sling ordanance and the speed and agility it is showing lo lo lo is amazing. truly a product well ahead of its time. put in latest avionics and engines and let it rock.

only the KA52 looks like it.
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

Singha wrote:cheyenne >> LCH/apache. its a helicopter only in name...its more like a warthog with VTOL. that meaty 30mm underslung cannon + the minigun in the nose + those big wings to sling ordanance and the speed and agility it is showing lo lo lo is amazing. truly a product well ahead of its time. put in latest avionics and engines and let it rock.

only the KA52 looks like it.
Comparing the Wiki specs of that thing, the only noticeable difference between Apache and Cheyenne is the speed.
Makes sense because of the pusher propeller.

But Apache has a 30mm chain gun. Carries same weapons (4 pylons instead of 6 of Cheyenne).
Weighs the same. Has the same service ceiling.
Add to fact that Apache can come back home on one engine while Cheyenne has only one engine.

Wiki says:
On 17 August 1972, the Army initiated the Advanced Attack Helicopter (AAH) program.[41] AAH sought an attack helicopter based on combat experience in Vietnam, with a lower top speed of 145 kn (167 mph, 269 km/h) and twin engines for improved survivability. Lockheed offered the CL-1700, a modified version of the Cheyenne with two engines and omitted the pusher propeller, without success.[42] The AAH program led to the AH-64 Apache, which entered service in the mid-1980s.
Cheyenne actually lost to the Apache in the follow-on competition.

But you are right, its a beautiful machine. The gunner's movable console+periscope is way too cool.
Apparently they solved it aerodynamic problems. But change in requirements + its increased unit cost because of its unique propulsion system, killed the program

--Ashish.
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

I stand corrected. Reading more on the subject, AH-56 looks like a truly magnificent machine.

--Ashish
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Seems to be the father of the modern heavy gunship, while huey cobra of the light gunship.
The mi24 hind is a kind of hybrid...there is a pgm called wings of the red star on mi24 in youtube with a good look inside its rear passenger cabin..its fairly large but narrow. And uniquely it carriers a 200kg bomb in a cavity below the fuselage something we done from a modded french helicopter posing as hind in rambo1

Like the sr71 again a super advanced concept for its time...it never saw mass production and not even any active use.

But looks like pusher prop concept is coming back in vogue and i am sure people are looking seriously at it incl cheen.

So far our aerospace and defence efforts have been gap closing and following the herd...mainly import substitution...to reach the next level we need to take some bigger risk and put pressure on outside vendors routinely used to leading industry trends.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

I think we need to look at continuous T-90 upgrades to keep them relevant but it's about time we let T72s fade away into the sunset. They really are out of place in modern battlefield. Arjun can take a stot from it at point blank shot and as for some of the burned tank pictures I have seen over the years I do not think spending money on upgrading these relics is a good investment. T72s could still serve as second line of defense, support vehicles, bridge carriers and good moving targets for practice to MBTs.

We need to put our money on Arjuns for new inductions and upgrades of 1650 T-90s over next decade or so.
arnab
BRFite

Post by arnab »

Sanku wrote: More ill informed comedy, Army decided to spend the scare resource wisely on upgrding the existing fleet (which is yet another saga of Indigenous effort) -- as well as in parallel induct tanks which are not night blind.

How do you think the figure of 100% night blind in 2000 changed to 70% night blind in 2010? Magic?

You are speaking TOTAL NONSENSE Sir.
er.. no thanks to the Russian product saar ('cheap' and baest) :) I'm sure you would have learnt how it 'changed' to 70% and the additional costs involved. Not a wise use of scarce resources at all, but had to be done because continuing to use the Russian product would have continued to leave us 100% night blind.
Last edited by arnab on 10 Mar 2013 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
arnab
BRFite

Post by arnab »

shiv wrote:
Your description of the state of affairs sounds realistic to me. But it also indicates a degree of national stupidity at the highest levels among armed forces, technocrats and government.

I think we observers and taxpayers have a duty to point out national stupidity and denial where it is clearly occurring. If what you say is true (as it seems to be) it is not treason. It is not inefficiency. It is plain stupidity. People at the highest levels are showing hamfisted two left thumb ability at problem solving. Mind you this is not the only example of supreme national stupidity. It occurs in all branches at all levels.
Exactly - and one can very specifically point out that the same army which wants the "best" (often nonexistent) products from DRDO are clearly willing to accept second-best (or even third best products) when imported, actions which are vehemently defended here by some (as TINA) :)

Of course when the forces do manage to import the "best", some folks find it "too expensive" or "not needed" :)
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Punjab canal bridges too fragile for Arjun tank
It was revealed by director general, DRDO, V K Saraswat on Friday during his visit to DRDO's Terminal Ballistics Research Laboratory (TBRL) near Chandigarh. In reply to a question related to shortcomings of Arjun tank, Saraswat said that during trials the tank was found better in mobility and accuracy in comparison to Army's mainstay T-90 tanks. "During the trials it was found that canal bridges in Punjab were incapable of carrying its weight," he said.

Saraswat who is also the secretary, department of defence, R&D, added that the problem in Punjab can be tackled with the use of large iron bridges developed by DRDO for smooth transportation of troops in hostile terrain.

He, however, added that the tank was found to be most suitable for deployment in the Thar deserts of Rajasthan. Importantly, Rajasthan and Punjab are strategically very important for the Army as both the states share major portion of boundaries with neighboring Pakistan.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

arnab wrote:[
Do you try and read back what you type? Try it once.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

shiv wrote:
Sanku wrote:.
I agree with you Shiv-ji.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

Katare wrote:I think we need to look at continuous T-90 upgrades to keep them relevant but it's about time we let T72s fade away into the sunset. They really are out of place in modern battlefield. Arjun can take a stot from it at point blank shot and as for some of the burned tank pictures I have seen over the years I do not think spending money on upgrading these relics is a good investment. T72s could still serve as second line of defense, support vehicles, bridge carriers and good moving targets for practice to MBTs.

We need to put our money on Arjuns for new inductions and upgrades of 1650 T-90s over next decade or so.
The t-90 is the t-72bu. All the Tin-cans should fade away. We have a better tank called the Arjun.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

arnab wrote: Exactly - and one can very specifically point out that the same army which wants the "best" (often nonexistent) products from DRDO are clearly willing to accept second-best
To me what is interesting here is that there may well be (among Army people who formulate GSQR) a degree of semi-serious tongue-in-cheek facetiousness in asking for a dazzling unreachable wish list knowing that DRDO can never do it. I wonder why DRDO cannot say up front "balls - we can never do it". But there may always be a foreign brochure making a claim that the army can wave in front of DRDO and say, "See if you cant do it xyz can do it"

So DRDO jumps in and finds that it is an impossible task and many decades and hundreds of crores later they give up or are still working - having reached 50% of the requirements. In the meantime the army and air force have their trump card - which is "Loss of operational preparedness". Loss of operational preparedness is too serious and all hurdles can be crossed. India has made on the spot purchses of so many items without any of this competition/comparison/single vendor issue etc. The Pilatus purchase is one such thing. Mig 23s and Mirage 2000s probably came in the same category.

Surely there has to be some seriousness on both sides from the outset.

1. What do the armed forces need?
2. What can the DRDO provide?
3. How can the armed force and DRDO help each other

The armed forces can no longer afford to behave like the chowkidar who can do his job only when malik provides him with a weapon. Industry and economy are also weapons and they are mostly used against us because we wil buy anything on the excuse that Indian stuff is never good enough.

China solved this problem in the 60s by saying "OK we will use only our own rust buckets but if you fuk with us we will nuke you"

Here Indian politicians/government are too stupid to see how clever China was.

They do not want to use the nuke threat as China did. They think that the west will simply "be friendly" with India and give us tech. Indian politicians act like they think that if you behave like good boy, good countries will praise you and bad countries will get scared.

It is high time we learned that we have to manage with low tech Indian rust buckets until our industry learns how to make good stuff in house. And if operational preparedness starts falling - threaten to use nukes, as China did, and as Russia still does.

The government, industry, research and armed forces are in this together. they all have to formulate the best response. But they are all behaving like ill educated stupids who are unable to understand how nations work.
manum
BRFite

Post by manum »

Till you are behind and playing catch-up....how you know if anything is doable or not...

Specially in military world...nor DRDO can say to IA...stfu ull get less than what you ask because you are here and your name is IA or XYZ.

I think its a lot more complicated than taking a decision to get a haircut...or keep it for another day...

Rest they definitely lack a competitive research management...and feasibility analysis at the early project stage...beacause they are not scared if the product wont sell because its heavy. As simple as that.

But hey guess what...even bofors had to pay preemptive bribe for being such an excellent gun...
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

shiv wrote:--SNIP--
They think that the west will simply "be friendly" with India and give us tech. Indian politicians act like they think that if you behave like good boy, good countries will praise you and bad countries will get scared.

It is high time we learned that we have to manage with low tech Indian rust buckets until our industry learns how to make good stuff in house. And if operational preparedness starts falling - threaten to use nukes, as China did, and as Russia still does.

The government, industry, research and armed forces are in this together. they all have to formulate the best response. But they are all behaving like ill educated stupids who are unable to understand how nations work.
+1. Its a matter of culture. Chinese "pride" (however hollow) is a good thing from this perspective.
We have to fight with what weapons we can produce, not what we can beg of others.

It seems to be that Western Societies refuse to believe that they could be outdone in science-technology.
Hence their pride and absolute drive to be at the top of the food-chain when it comes to engineering and research.

Terms like "Technology-transfer", "core competencies" and other big words sound simple and efficient but come with a long list of conditions/dos-donts in fine print.
I have never been able to understand why anyone would transfer technology to us. Would we transfer technology to (say)Bangladesh?

However all this pontification is completely useless unless EVERYONE can do ONE THING.
Innovate in your chosen field. Stop thinking of career progression in terms of titles and money.
Think of career in terms of professional achievements.
And STOP DOING MBA after 2 years in your own profession (God alone knows what sort of short-sighted lunacy that is)

--Ashish
Last edited by Misraji on 11 Mar 2013 05:16, edited 3 times in total.
KrishnaK
BRFite

Post by KrishnaK »

shiv wrote:China solved this problem in the 60s by saying "OK we will use only our own rust buckets but if you fuk with us we will nuke you"
That is not quite true. China would love to be able to buy what they want from Russia or Europe or Israel or the USA.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

^the pointer is for handling risk thresholds... from that angle alone, it would be less riskier been done at home from an all aspect analysis. to cover MAD, and after A5, we should not hesitate a blip to go MAD at all.

I fully agree, that IA must advance and not keep looking at russkie techs for ever. we can't expect our enemies will be always pakis and sooner or later, chinese might have their own better m1s copied or perhaps engaging our neighborhood with such systems. IA should realize that T90s are not testified in any war zone.. and it is definitely worthwhile expedition to send our armored regiments to international zones at first call basis to get to know where our equipment and systems stand.

It is where we take advantage of forward thinking home grown systems. It is a requirement for the future, and the present, and definitely not keeping up with the past, but only carrying forward the learning from the past.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

The reason why Indian idiotic policy tries to avoid nuclear weapons is because we think we can win wars by importing weapons from "friendly" nations and that nukes can simply be stored away unused. This allows friendly nations to screw us at will.

The way to avoid using nukes is to stop exposing our asses to be sodomized by "friendly nations" by constantly importing. Industry and economy and national science and technology are powerful weapons. India is constantly supporting foreign factories and foreign tech and then lamenting "Hey we have not caught up". How can we catch up if we don't accept failures? Nukes are the weapons that we must use if conventional weapons fail, If our nukes can work then give industry a chance to make conventional weapons in house and stop funding foreign factories who screw us at every opportunity. Bribes to the corrupt, EULA and conditions for use (no weapons on Pilatus trainer), wartime sanctions, expensive spares, delayed spares, brochure specs not met. You name it and you find that all that is done to us by foreign suppliers. Britain. France. USA. Russia. Israel and we still slobber after foreign suppliers whom we cannot hold to account.
pentaiah
BRFite

Post by pentaiah »

Shiv ji is 100% on spot.
In the good old days of license permit raj
The ruling party mostly congress used to make money by quotas like cement steel commodities
Now they do with arms industry, scam after scam and feed foreign R&D to improve their systems and gives us generations behind versions...

The problem and the solution is all in our hands and we are still groping in the woods means our intent is not to get out of woods.

I can not believe that we don't have home grown optics industry after 60 + years of independence
Not a single 35 mm SLR made in India ground up.
No ophthalmic equipment made, no hospital instruments made even simple devices dental equipment made

Compare this to Japanese companies, later Korean companies, now Chinese ...

When do we learn to move ahead with what we learnt by assembling things...

The label "Made in Japan" was a put down, signifying a cheap imitation, this is what I was told was I was a small boy and held that belief when I reach my teen - I know it is kind of hard for anyone to believe given today's status on products from Japan but that was the kind of reaction where people reacted with Japanese's products those days before and after the post war period. Today, Japanese's products is symbolizes with keywords like precision, quality and reliability.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

^only when people think about non-corrupted ways of living on a day to day basis. people not only not think for the nation, but nor for themselves in the long term. for example, the middlemen does not care about him in the jail later on.. cause, he has planned for it. such is the state of affairs. if we laugh at pakis in a way, then we can be laughed at these as well. see, what goes around, comes around.. well, just for the heck of it saying... not entirely true.

our advancement has been mainly in the defense sector, and in the niche areas, where we had no other option meaning, even the begging plate has been taken off, and corrupted men and women are hung dry. so, our drdo cherished in these areas.

sorry for the deviations.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

pentaiah wrote: The problem and the solution is all in our hands and we are still groping in the woods means our intent is not to get out of woods.

The label "Made in Japan" was a put down, signifying a cheap imitation, this is what I was told was I was a small boy and held that belief when I reach my teen - I know it is kind of hard for anyone to believe given today's status on products from Japan but that was the kind of reaction where people reacted with Japanese's products those days before and after the post war period. Today, Japanese's products is symbolizes with keywords like precision, quality and reliability.
+1

I recall reading a 1950 Reader's Digest about how bad ha ha ha "Made in Japan" is.

But there is a difference between japan, China and India. Everyone else were laughing at Japanese/Chinese stuff, but they used them and kept producing them nevertheless. Indians are unique in being contemptuous of their own stuff and refusing Indian stuff in favor of imported stuff which is always better.

On another note - I was reading 5 minutes ago that Lithuania - another small nation with a Sanskrit like language that lacked self respect
http://postilla.mch.mii.lt/Kalba/kalbarast.en.htm
The Lithuanian nobility and gentry were gradually adopting the Polish language and customs. Eventually they began to look upon their Lithuanian origin as a disgrace and called themselves „gentle lituanus natione polonus” (people of Lithuanian stock, Poles by nationality). In mouth of the privileged the word „Lithuanian” was a mere geographic term without any national designation. The nobility and gentry did not speak Lithuanian, they despised the Lithuanian language and customs. The catholic Church was a particularly zealous polonizer for very few priests spoke Lithuanian. Only the peasantry and the petty unprivileged gentry spoke Lithuanian. The alienation of the ruling circles and the privileged gentry from the vernacular, from popular traditions and the people’s culture was a genuine tragedy for the Lithuanian nation as it set back the development of the Lithuanian national culture for the period of several centuries.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

There is a book called "Lee Iacocca an autobiography" published in 1984. Fellow was CEO of Ford and then Chrysler. He talks about how american automakers were all going Lulz!! at Japanese automakers and made fun of those thin nerds in suits wearing thick glasses who would take copious notes during meetings and never speak. The Macho massa people were all like :rotfl: look at those nerds!!

The Japanese started with crude box type cars with nothing but engines and seats and looked fugly, slowly refined it. The cars were small but fuel efficient, suited for Japan where US cars which were big and not so fuel efficient couldnt run in the narrow streets and high petrol prices. US car companies would all be like :mrgreen: at Japanese cars and thought that possibility of Japan exporting cars to the US was a joke.

Except people found out it went twice the distance of american cars, didnt fall apart after 3 years and the bottom fell out of US car companies. Japan couldnt make enough to export to the US, bought up factories of US car companies going bankrupt. Rest is history.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

The biggest problem nowadays is the hold of bribes in the system. If OFB howitzer clears the trials it will get order of only 114 guns while if foreign company clears the tender then order for 1500 guns. The difference is that foreign company may pay bribes of Rs 10,000 crores over the life of contract.

Indian AMCA gets Rs. 100 crores while PAKFA gets Rs. 25000 crores. Arjun saga is well known. IAF kills Indian basic trainer in the womb. Offset policy is now a conduit for bribes through software export route. LCA production is stalled till IOC-2 while world over production starts well before, after all massive MRCA & Su-30 imports will generate ample bribes which SDRE LCA cannot do so.
alexis
BRFite

Post by alexis »

Sanku wrote:
I am not aware of Army complaining about the weight as a reason for non-induction? Where did it ever happen. Yes weight did raise additional steps of newer tank carriers, and bridges etc. But of course when a new system is integrated such points will be raised.

At no point of time weight has been a reason to delay the Arjun project (i.e. IA has never asked for another iteration of Arjun design based on weight)
IA has never given any official reason for non-induction as far as i know. There has been a lot of cribbing abt weight.

Pls see http://zeenews.india.com/news/nation/in ... 27296.html
Also numerous articles by Ajai Shukla also mentions this.

Weight is a byproduct of GSQRs specified by Army. It is better to reduce weight, i agree. But not at the cost of protection.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

japanese carmakers have been a relative failure in europe? could it be because euros also know how to make good small cars or some quota/tax thing (they do a lot of local manufacturing in europe)
alexis
BRFite

Post by alexis »

Sanku wrote:
alexis wrote: Mk1 can be upgraded to Mk2 or Mk3 when Mk2/Mmk3 are stabilised. That is the standard procedure for any defence forece except IA :( F16 is the best example. Pls see how many iterations M1 Abrams or Merkeva went through.

Similarly, as Philip pointed out, we are still procuring Su-30 MKI even though Super Sukhoi specifications are decided and upgrade for initial aircrafts will begin soon.
Yes, older models are upgraded once newer specs come out. But never are older model produced afresh when newer specs are already present and accepted as doable by manufacturer. (Remember DRDO has signed this on)
Sanku, this is a standard process in all countries. We are inducting MKI and will induct MKI even though Super-30 specs already present and accepted as doable by manufacturer .

Please note that LA class submarines were being inducted even when Sea Wolf was under construction. This is done so that force levels are maintained at acceptable levels. Jaguar was inducted by IAF even though better products were available as it meet acceptable standards.

As long as Mk1 is better than current equipment and is upgradable, it should be procured. It is how all armed forces operate in the world. China was still inducting JH-7 along with Su-27/30s/J10s.

However, you spin it, you cannot justify not procuring Arjuns while procuring T-90s.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

It is not possible to reduce weight till Arjun has 4 men crew. Army is ready to accept tin can with three men crew but does not allow same facility to indigenous tanks. It is classic case of imposing impossible requirements on indigenous products to generate bribes through foreign imports.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

shiv wrote: The armed forces can no longer afford to behave like the chowkidar who can do his job only when malik provides him with a weapon. .
Impossible, for this, the entire Civil-Mil interaction rubric has to change. Starting with upgrades to the protocol status of service officers, their inclusion in decision making and so on and so forth.

Unless a real visionary leader comes up, unlikely to happen. The Babu's made sure NDA's effort to create a Joint chiefs of staff was scrapped.

Till such time, the above wish is un-obtanium. GoI want the armed forced to be a chowkidar, with some bits and pieces thrown at them once in a while, any difference of opinion raises the "look at Pakistan" bogey. We are stuck where we are. Lets make the best of a bad job.
Last edited by Sanku on 11 Mar 2013 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

alexis wrote: IA has never given any official reason for non-induction as far as i know. There has been a lot of cribbing abt weight.
There HAD been official reasons for non induction, it was because Arjun was failing basic tests. It is all documented even in parliamentary committee report. Arjun has since then been inducted.

None of which is cribbing about weight. All this weight this or weight that issue was level of nonsense at Shukla's level of kite flying.

Tons of DDM on Arjun, people need to access the original GoI sources on the tank and see for themselves what the real picture is.

The official discussion is on reduction of weight is through the FMBT. Which will attempt to reduce weight through a variety of ways including a auto-loader, please refer to DRDO's heads own statement on the same.

Why do you think DRDOs head is talking about weight reduction for FMBT?