LCA News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: LCA News and Discussions

Post by Virupaksha »

Wow, I have to question your expertise here, because you are belching absolute nonsense without half decent info.

Possibly you could answer about why does the material guy in Midhani today has to worry about MK1 drag?
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

I don't understand ... why we are so low on self esteem? How you can learn from single iteration of LCA project to reduce drag and weight issues? There are too many sub-systems which are used first time. First and most important is make a system working and then do the fine tuning and performance analysis.

As far as LCA-MK2, is concerned it has more powerful engine which should compensate for weight and drag. And in the mean time if everything is working OK in real conditions, then they can think of further improvements in a couple of sub-system at a time. So chill and enjoy that LCA MK1 development is closing, although it might be having some minor or few major issues. Which will be handled with LCA-MK2.

Trust IAF has enough experience in maturing a newly system e.g. like they did with Su-30 MKI.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

your really think that simply going to the next project without solving the problems is the right way?
That itself provides a good insight.

Not too sure where to start. Let us try ................
When you look at Indias military aircraft projects and the reports about them, the issues of design are ore then obvious, be it LCA, LCH, Saras, IJT, all of them are facing weight and/or drag issues
Yes weight issues, which translates into drag at some point in time. However, these weight issues are NOT design related. They are material related problems. They used to be distribution related problem - as in proper management of real estate within the LCA - which got resolved (by rearranging the innards).

You see India is not a leader in material sciences (MS) (and will not be for some decades). IF India had access to really good R&D in MS she would have had a decent chance to resolve such issue.

The second issue is related to testing - as stated above. One may have great designs, materials, sensors, etc, but if you do not have good test data you are starting from square one. You see there are no shortcuts here and dhekha jayega. IF you do not know the risk is huge - and one India is not willing to take - rightfully so. India cannot take. She would rather wait till the tests are right than to take a risk.

As far as I have heard the LCA is a near perfect aircraft - so the design has to be OK. My impression was that the MK2 was taking care of the weight related issues. No?

BTW, if the design is an issue, what do you expect a design team to do at this stage of the game? Redesign the MK1? Just curious.
even then, there would be several other projects, where they are needed before starting AMCA.
Like which ones?

Also BTW, how much do you know about the AMCA?

A few years ago I had suggested that the LCA be shelved after calling it a tech demo and take on the MCA (as it was called that then) seriously. I still think for a "LCA" (yes, the real one) to take shape it will take at least 2-3 iterations AFTER the MK2. I feel that the LCA is one of the best things to have happened in India. But, I also feel that with undue pressure it will never reach it full potential in EVERY respect. India I feel is mature in many respects - design being one - but has a way to go in many areas.

India needs an aircraft that is free of everything - politics, IAF pressure, etc. LCA should be that one. Make it, break it, learn from it, rebuild it, ........... only way out. Failures are a necessary part of this development cycle.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

all said and done, if a/cs don't enter services, then we have no feedback for development.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Then we will have no positive feed back from IAF which is like IA only interested to forin mal with % for all and sundry. We need to force things on the people who are not keen on having "Indian" products. Otherwise I fear LCA is already becoming like an other Arjun.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

RFP out for parts of LCA MkII ... Due date is Dec 11 2012.
RFQ out for parts of LCA MKII ... Due date is Jan 22 2013.

They are planning to build the plane in 2013/14 (nothing new, just news about things proceeding according to timeline as of now)
Last edited by Indranil on 22 Nov 2012 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Where is it IRji?

btw why do we have specification for design and dev of Radome now?

http://www.ada.gov.in/EOI.htm
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

suryag wrote:Where is it IRji?

btw why do we have specification for design and dev of Radome now?

No 'ji' please.

http://www.hal-india.com/tender_ARDC_tab_New.asp

RFP: D/IMM/COM3/LCA(MK2)/5461/03/13951/2012
RFQ: D/IMM/5461/7R/1069/2012
suryag wrote: btw why do we have specification for design and dev of Radome now?

On page 4, "ADA is looking for design and development of alternative radome for Light Combat Aircraft as part of their product improvement activity.

They don't want any geometry changes, only improved EM performance. If possible better lightning protection and better smoothness.

Info nugget: IFF dipoles are integrated into the MMR antenna. I used to think that they were the two silvery things above the nose, in front of the cockpit. (like in the F16).

P.S. Corrected formatting :-)
Last edited by Indranil on 23 Nov 2012 05:09, edited 1 time in total.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Nice!! i missed that "alternative" thing. Lots of tenders for HTT-40 too on that page interesting times
sivab
BRFite

Post by sivab »

http://www.aviationweek.com/Blogs.aspx? ... 6e826f&plc

At yesterday's roll-out of the 500th Super Hornet/Growler, Boeing program vice-president Kory Mathews confirmed that the F414 Enhanced Performance Engine would be the baseline for the company's offer to India.

The new engine offers up to a 20 percent thrust boost. That would take the EPE up to 26,500 pounds of thrust, giving it the best thrust/weight ratio of any fighter engine -- almost 11:1. Alternatively (an option understood to be attracting interest at Saab) the EPE could be delivered with a 10 percent uprate and very generous temperature margins, extending its life and reducing fighter life-cycle costs.

The EPE "will not make much difference at an air show", says Boeing chief test pilot Ric Traven, but dramatically improves the fighter's performance at high speed and altitude, halving supersonic acceleration times. For the Gripen, the extra thrust would translate into further-improved supercruise (supersonic level flight without afterburner) capability.
Brando
BRFite

Post by Brando »

With a 11:1 thrust/weight ratio what is the probability of the LCA Mk 2 achieving super-cruise capability at altitude ?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

we made a big mistake not choosing to partner with EJ200 rather Snecma... ideally, it would have been better if had GE 414 techs for colloboration.. but, we still have no idea what are the exact details of snecma deal, as the last interview with dr. saraswat only talked about deriving at what thrust requirements are needed based on the platforms they are trying to use.

standardarizing on F-414 platform would have solved many problems.. but we have no idea as to what was unkill politics.. and what is surprising is there was a screw driver tech transfer for 414 as well for mk-2. so, ideally, it would have been better with either GE or EJ200 which have already proven for near 100kN or greater than that thrusts.

snecma has long way to go to even near 90kN wet.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

the thing that i feared the most

flight test update

FRom
LCA-Tejas has completed 1941 Test Flights Successfully. (12-July-2012).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-348,LSP1-74,LSP2-237,PV5-36,LSP3-75,LSP4-56,LSP5-105,LSP7-4,NP1-4)

to

LCA-Tejas has completed 1944 Test Flights Successfully. (22-Nov-2012).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-348,LSP1-74,LSP2-238,PV5-36,LSP3-75,LSP4-56,LSP5-106,LSP7-5,NP1-4)
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Sancho wrote:...Repetitive stuff snipped...

As stated earlier, their work is only done, when the design issues have been solved (MK1 drag, MK2 just entered design stage, with still a lot of work to be done during the prototype stage) and even then, there would be several other projects, where they are needed before starting AMCA.
When you look at Indias military aircraft projects and the reports about them, the issues of design are ore then obvious, be it LCA, LCH, Saras, IJT, all of them are facing weight and/or drag issues and your really think that simply going to the next project without solving the problems is the right way?
Dude, clearly you are confused about how product design & development works. At any given time, you don't just work on todays tech, you also work on tomorrows and the requirement gathering for even a generation after that. It doesn't matter if today's program is in progress and is facing challenges, if you don't start working on tomorrow's program now, you will lose the time advantage of starting the program earlier.
Different groups of people are often allocated to these programs, and detailed design and development is not required at the same level for the in development one, and the in planning one either.
That's how it happens.
So while the LCA certification and product improvement process is "ON", simultaneously, parallel teams have to work on the AMCA as well, finetuning it in the process. Otherwise by the time the LCA is done, to start the AMCA will take up several years of requirements gathering, definition, back & forth specification decisions, budgetary allocation fixing etc worth of effort. The whole supply chain extending back to development partners need to begin this process as well, not just the folks at ADA.

Right now is the perfect time to get this exercise done So that by the time the LCA MK2 is developed and production ready, the base groundwork for the AMCA is laid out, basics are in place and the manpower can then shift to the detailed D&D phase for at least the TD/Prototypes, with the FSED to follow.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I think biggest benefit of Mk2 will be 1m longer fuselage giving it the right tapering shape to reduce drag and the EPE engine. might also increase the volume of any fuel tanks near wing root or inside the wing.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Singha-> quite frankly when will get the 414 epe engine, when will the LCA MK-II protytpes fly and God only knows when it will induscted in IAF. I feel the problems with LCA are not purely techical , but the arms agent lobby in Delhi which does not want this as a threat to its income. People like SUresh Kalmadi have passed resolution's in parliment to kill the project.
Will
BRFite

Post by Will »

SaiK wrote:we made a big mistake not choosing to partner with EJ200 rather Snecma....
At the time that we were searching for partners only Snecma and Saturn were ready to give us what we wanted. P&W wanted the IPR. Dont think the EJ200 was on offer at that time. Ofcourse no deal has been signed yet but I think the Snecma deal is tied up but the Frenchies are holding it to ransom linked to the Rafale deal.
Sancho
BRFite

Post by Sancho »

NRao wrote:Yes weight issues, which translates into drag at some point in time. However, these weight issues are NOT design related.
Depends on which of the aircrafts we are talking, take LCH for example, the first design turned out to be too heavy and draggy as well, pylons, tail and air intakes needed to be re-designed.
Wrt LCA, overweight is an issue according to initial plans, but compared to other fighters in it's class, even LCA MK1 is pretty light and offers a good TWR too. So when it still has performance issues, what else than the design is the reason?
NRao wrote:My impression was that the MK2 was taking care of the weight related issues. No?
I hope so, but they are actually increasing the weight by far, because of the changes that we know so far (streched fuselage, new internal fuel tanks, new engines and other systems), but it will be interessting to see what else will be changed.
NRao wrote:BTW, if the design is an issue, what do you expect a design team to do at this stage of the game? Redesign the MK1? Just curious.
As stated, find out the problems and fix it for MK2, instead of simply going over to the next project. My problem is, that we have very poor planning and that we don't really finish our projects, before we already start to dream about others. We celebrate any baby step like the roll out of another prototype, while not a single fighter is in operational service yet, or would be useful to serve our forces and the security needs of India.
NRao wrote:Like which ones?
As mentioned in my earlier post, LCA MK2, FGFA, armed Rustom, AURA UCAV, because all these aircrafts are meant to be in service earlier than AMCA and because they add more advantages to IAF too. The only field where AMCA really would be needed is, as a carrier fighter, because IN don't have a 5th. gen option, other than F35 so far. But then we have to develop it for the navy in first place and not only navalise a fighter developed for IAF.
NRao wrote:I feel that the LCA is one of the best things to have happened in India.
I feel the same, that's why I want our officials to keep focusing on it and not beeing distracted from newer and shinier projects, without really finishing LCA. We need a reliable, cost-effective low end fighter that soon can be inducted to IAF, not dreams about a stealthy LCA MK3 or AMCA in 10 to 15 years.
On the other side, we don't need a "modest" (like IN itself describes N-LCA) carrier fighter in the short term, because we will have more capable Migs anyway. A naval AMCA in the long term would be more important and why anything beyond a N-LCA tech demonstrator currently is a waste of resources.
Sancho
BRFite

Post by Sancho »

SaiK wrote:we made a big mistake not choosing to partner with EJ200 rather Snecma...
Depends if there was ever an offer to partner with us on Kaveri, becaus so far that was reported only by the French and Russians.
Karan M wrote: Dude, clearly you are confused about how product design & development works. At any given time, you don't just work on todays tech, you also work on tomorrows
Please read the post above, because I don't have an issue with working on NG developments in general, but that we don't finish our projects and that more important projects than AMCA should be done earlier!
AMCA now comes only because the delays and failures during the LCA development and not LCA was successfully inducted and is soon to be completed.
Karan M wrote:basics are in place
Where?

- do we have knowledge in stealth design?
- do we have developed at least any multi mode fighter radar yet?
- do we have a working engine that could be used for AMCA, or at least a prototype?
- NG avionics, weapon systems?

Not really and that's why our contribution to FGFA is very limited as well. We still don't know which radar LCA MK1 will use, let alone MK2, the Kaveri co-development is still not fixed and the first use was meant to be an upgrade to LCA MK1. So when there is still so much to do to get a real base in our industry and with improving, why bother with AMCA at this point?
pralay
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by pralay »

Good news from livefist
Tejas Mk.2 Build Begins
Finally, HAL has begun the process to build the first Tejas Mk.2 air force prototype, envisioned as a slightly larger but much more capable fighter than the floundering Tejas Mk.1. On November 19, HAL's Aircraft Research & Design Centre (ARDC) floated the first of many requirements for raw materials -- alloys and such -- for the first Tejas Mk.2 (first pictures) prototype vehicle and other assemblies. More requirements will be put out over the next few weeks.

HAL is looking to put the Mk.2, powered by the General Electric F414-GE-INS6 turbofan engine, into the air in 2014. The highly anticipated Mk.2 programme will cost at least $542.44-million (Rs 2431.55-crore), comprising full scale engineering development. The IAF has put down an official requirement for 83 of the Mk.2s. Working on a detailed post on the Mk.2. No timeframe, though!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

yes definitely resources need to be devoted to give the Mk1 full spectrum A2G and A2A capability and its radar & avionics brought upto the mark. these things if left hanging now "dekh lenge yaar" will bite our ass again in the mk2.

astra mk1 is another black hole project, our hopes and queries go in and nothing comes out as news :shock: its a vital gap in our portfolio as also a IIR AAM which isnt even in the plans. sudarshan is supposed to be ready yet there is no news of confirmed orders.

and surely the kaveri snecma unless its a super secret ATV type help obtained from Rus is dead in the water, with 3 yrs gone and no official contract even signed, let alone any work done. we better get in line for the 414 EPE and hope Indo-US relations are sustainably good.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

if the mk.2 frame is larger, they could consider retractable refueling pods.
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

my understanding is the following from MK.2 perspective
Singha wrote:A2G and A2A capability and its radar & avionics brought upto the mark
I have serious doubt with the radar part [AESA i mean] at least not before > 2018 since i don;t see a prototype or some test bed for its testing.
Thus a missing critical technology
Singha wrote:astra mk1 is another black hole project
we have options for AAM from French / Israel/Russia , so if any delay then at least it does not block the progress
Singha wrote:surely the kaveri snecma
Honestly i don;t see a top of the line reliable engine[single crystal etc] for Indian fighters at least in the next 10 years , and in worst case for ever

Don;t get me wrong or too pessimistic it is just based on the open source information of the last 15 years and more. So one of the
option is to get all the critical tech as part of Rafale and Pak Fa deal . These deals should only be seen from the perspective of the kind of tech. they provide, nothing more nothing less
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

LCA reminds me of the judgement - Sau kilo Pyaaj ya sau kode.

One of the difficulties with trying to play off one player against the other is that a third player can you by the balls.

Oh I see somebody is just as pessimistic about LCA as I am. Welcome bro to my miserable hovel. :)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the pgm has definitely lost momentum and perhaps managerial interest in the last 1 yr.
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

Sources have told idrw.org that Tejas MK-II will carry many of the 5th generation technology; advance variant of this will later find its way into AMCA, first Tejas MK-II aircraft according to sources will be ready by end of 2013 or early 2014 and will have its first flight in end of 2014 .

Work on Design aspect of Tejas MK-II is complete and F414-GE-INS6 engine will power the Mk II version, Tejas MK-II is one meter longer then Tejas MK-I , and will have a stretched nose and larger section behind cockpit for incorporating avionics components. Aircraft will be able to carry 1000 kg more on the external stores more than current 4000 kg carried by Tejas MK-I.
Link

Both articles point towards 2014 , Hope they show some urgency :roll:
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

It said at the end of 2014 so we can safely assume, considering Track record, mid of 2015. After that, possibly by 2017 MkII will go for production that is well before the deadline given by GoI to DRDO for LCA.

Finger crossed.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

if there is anything to believe the timeline projections, it has be something that is with production engineering after execution of couple of squadrons. before that, it is all guess and paper notes on schedules, just to please babooze plans.

of course the momentum is lost.. and it is a well known fact. i think, we should know that and look at the program not as a project management issue, but the project itself. heck, we did not care about project management and deadlines.. ever, so why bring in that. those discussions we had earlier on PM issues, shall remain for a long time to come. we have no process engineering happening, so expect that to continue.
Last edited by SaiK on 26 Nov 2012 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

I think it all depends how fast aircraft is rolled out and how fast aircraft starts doing taxi trials , 6 months delay in roll out and 6 months delay in first flight is respectable but hope they don't mess up and delay both by a year .
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

nash wrote:It said at the end of 2014 so we can safely assume, considering Track record, mid of 2015. After that, possibly by 2017 MkII will go for production that is well before the deadline given by GoI to DRDO for LCA.

Finger crossed.
Sir the issue is not with MK.2 aircraft structure/ framework or it flying [thanks to GE 414] , that is very much possible sometime in 2015/16 like the Chines are flying J 20/31.
But a cutting edge fighter aircraft is a combination of lot more.
The point is we did not take much time to move from ALH to LCH, since we had the building blocks available[indigenous/sourced], similarly from Agni 3 to Agni 5.
So if we want to think of AMCA or MK.2 with 5th gen tech , then we require some building blocks for it which can be adapted to our requirement and here comes the critical requirement of a quality AESA and reliable , high performance engine.
If we don;t have either then we may again land up in the same situation where we have a flying aircraft which may be GOOD, but would be compared to something like a JF 17 and not even a Gripen NG or for that matter an F-16 block 60/70 and i am not even counting the typhoons and rafales.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

and the problem is the zoo of eastern and western eqpt we use has its own issues
= EL2032 _+ desi maal => Rus wont play ball on R77, we are forced into Derby..and neither is US interested in letting anyone integrate the AIM20C7 into non-american radars barring the EF and Gripen.

= Astra mk1 is in "stealth mode", with no known IOC date or flight test reports, it may even have been quietly canned

unless we have a good fighter radar , a good BVR aam and a good IIR AAM, things will be tough.

everyone wants their pound of flesh and boxes us into corners.
Last edited by Singha on 26 Nov 2012 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

dhiraj wrote:So if we want to think of AMCA or MK.2 with 5th gen tech , then we require some building blocks for it which can be adapted to our requirement and here comes the critical requirement of a quality AESA and reliable , high performance engine.
How much knowledge do you have about the AMCA programme ??? You think our designers have't thought about all these ??? According to you they are going in it blindly without having any building blocks ???
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

we have knowledge and experience of req. gathering, design and development of Fighter Aircraft like LCA, thanks to painful and hard-work of our scientists and technician.But we don't have any prior experience of testing and that too without taking much risk.That's why we are taking so much time to get clearance and make LCA operational.

Good thing is because of knowledge in other stages of product development we can move dedicated resource for MkII.

In product development you need to do many things simultaneously and have option and space for "what if?", and i hope DRDO have it.
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

Sagar G wrote:How much knowledge do you have about the AMCA programme ??? You think our designers have't thought about all these ??? According to you they are going in it blindly without having any building blocks ???
Oh definitely not much information . I am only talking from the information available in the public domain/announcements/timelines set etc.
Like in my others posts i have always mentioned that if i stand corrected for any of my posts i will be the first to welcome it :)

What i only suggest is that with the kind of tech that is currently available i don;t see a cutting edge 5th gen AMCA in the near or mid term.

An advanced 5th gen AMCA or for that matter LCA Mk.2 with 5th gen tech requires at least a radar similar to AN/APG-81 , an engine which is at least as advanced as EJ 200 and avionics better than spectra.
Do we have them or can we realistically develop them in the next 10 year
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

I think Mk2 is only 0.5 meter longer and 0.2 taller with same wing span....
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

dhiraj wrote:Oh definitely not much information . I am only talking from the information available in the public domain/announcements/timelines set etc.

Like in my others posts i have always mentioned that if i stand corrected for any of my posts i will be the first to welcome it :)
So you are here to make predictions based on half baked knowledge for which you are ready to take claim "IF" they come true, OK got it.
dhiraj wrote:What i only suggest is that with the kind of tech that is currently available i don;t see a cutting edge 5th gen AMCA in the near or mid term.
Now you confuse me, you say you don't have much information but still go on to claim that we won't be able to make a cutting edge AMCA. I see a contradiction here don't you ???
dhiraj wrote:An advanced 5th gen AMCA or for that matter LCA Mk.2 with 5th gen tech requires at least a radar similar to AN/APG-81 , an engine which is at least as advanced as EJ 200 and avionics better than spectra.
Ok so lets say we buy all the three items that you have mentioned and hooray we will have a 5th gen fighter aircraft ???

dhiraj wrote:Do we have them or can we realistically develop them in the next 10 year
If it gets developed in 11th year will it become obsolete ???
GeorgeWelch
BRFite

Post by GeorgeWelch »

suryag wrote:the thing that i feared the most

flight test update

FRom
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-348,LSP1-74,LSP2-237,PV5-36,LSP3-75,LSP4-56,LSP5-105,LSP7-4,NP1-4)

to

(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-348,LSP1-74,LSP2-238,PV5-36,LSP3-75,LSP4-56,LSP5-106,LSP7-5,NP1-4)
Perhaps an indication that they're abandoning LCA to go all-in on Mk.2?
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

GeorgeWelch wrote:Perhaps an indication that they're abandoning LCA to go all-in on Mk.2?
Perhaps the LCA Mk.1 development is complete and they are taking the next logical step.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Katare wrote:I think Mk2 is only 0.5 meter longer and 0.2 taller with same wing span....
quite a huge space when one consider just keeping it for extra fuel.. cause, F414 is a larger game plan for the IAF, and they want more power and quicker turns at higher Gs.

but then again, it all depends on who is sitting behind the drawing board. there is always another way to do it... the best option is always seen after a design takes shape.

let us see how the livefist guy reports [cause he seems to be the first person ever doing such exposure to public]
Last edited by SaiK on 26 Nov 2012 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Katare wrote:I think Mk2 is only 0.5 meter longer and 0.2 taller with same wing span....
That is what I know. Also the idrw article speaks of 1T extra payload on the pylons, I had not heard of that either (though it is entirely feasible).
GeorgeWelch wrote:
suryag wrote:the thing that i feared the most

flight test update

FRom

to

Perhaps an indication that they're abandoning LCA to go all-in on Mk.2?
Or may be they had hit a roadblock, which they fixed and they are back to flying. Who knows ;-).

I don't think that they would abandon the Mk1. They have 40+ GE-404 engines to use. Mk-1 is very valuable, it is the stepping stone to success. They are ironing out so many things on this plane. All these lessons are important for the LCA MkII and AMCA. It is important to operationalize Mk-1 and further iron out the wrinkles.