LCA News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: LCA News and Discussions

Post by nikhil_p »

Jingo Birathers, I think we are missing the point here. This is more like YeLLCeeYay Unos point cinco (1.5). It is intended to update the control laws (both engine and airframe management). And if it works, we might see the 1.5 converted to 1.75 and 2 coming soon with longer fuselage, wingroot changes, redesigned intakes, fixed canards etc.

The LCA is the test bed which will be used for all follow on A/c. Paanwallah to chaiwallah also tells me that the AMCA design is in chill out phase.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Flight test update

From

LCA-Tejas has completed 1980 Test Flights Successfully. (15-Jan-2013).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-348,LSP1-74,LSP2-238,PV5-36,LSP3-89,LSP4-56,LSP5-118,LSP7-15,NP1-4)

to

LCA-Tejas has completed 1981 Test Flights Successfully. (16-Jan-2013).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-348,LSP1-74,LSP2-238,PV5-36,LSP3-90,LSP4-56,LSP5-118,LSP7-15,NP1-4)
shaunb
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shaunb »

Some interesting news from Boeing 787, (not sure if this is appropriate for this thread) posting it here only because there was some discussion here earlier on the topic of using a electrical mechanism in FBW.

here is the relevant excerpt from the from article
"The 787 was pitched as the airline of the future – a revolutionary plane that that would use new technology to bring aircraft design into the 21st century. The Dreamliner is made of carbon-fiber reinforced plastic composite. More radically still, pneumatic and hydraulic systems have been ditched for electric systems."
Is this a 100% change or only some surfaces have electrical systems?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I think gutka paanwala version 2 and above is ideal route than amca, and chaiwala specs seems ideal for patch up and gear up. We are not talking about various additions though other the core engine here., and hence the confusion.

The 1.x format to 2 and preferentially 2.x format to 3 or AMCA whatever we call it is fine.. but the graduation is more realistic than AMCA on the paper, with tiger-ous specs.

The drive should be all about satisfying the quality attributes prioritized by the user. I hope we hear more sweat news on this front.

bottom: V&V on the chai+paan needs to happen. :mrgreen:
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

shaunb wrote:Some interesting news from Boeing 787, (not sure if this is appropriate for this thread) posting it here only because there was some discussion here earlier on the topic of using a electrical mechanism in FBW.
Not sure what is the relationship to the LCA - the LCA does not seem to have any issues WRT FBW. Or does it?

The AMCA is expected to have FBL. Now THAT could pose a huge challenge. To the extent that if it were up to its advert the entire project could be help to ransom.

But even with the 787 these things happen, just that these "happenings" are posing a greater risk than the users are willing to bear.
member_22605
BRFite

Post by member_22605 »

FBW to FBL isn't a very big deal technologically, infact FBL was even tested for ALH, the problem is mainly of reliability and the associated certification issues. From what i've heard from the ADA guys, Mk2 is envisaged to be a Mk1 with a new engine and a few minor improvements(CLAWs, FADEC, associated aero upgrades primarily). Perhaps the AESA etc will be added in block upgrades like the MKI (i'm just guessing here). Mk2 production should not take as much time as the Mk1 theoretically as was the case with ALH Mk2 to Mk3 transition.
Cheers!
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

^^^^^

With all due respects, I would be very concerned if FbL is not very, very reliable. Unless you have a different explaination of "reliability".
member_22605
BRFite

Post by member_22605 »

I didn't mean FBL is unreliable, its just that its not is wide use therefore raising apprehensions, otherwise it saves a lot of weight and offers tremendous data rates but lets just say its still evolving ;)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

fault-tolerance architecture on FBL should up the reliability, and the certification aspect should be that how the design guarantees fail-op- switch over, and availability. I am sure, the most possible failure for FBL would be mechanical stress points on the fiber network/g-ratings etc.

even if we have an LCA-Mk2-with dual engines (preferably home grown) has a higher priority over FBL. We can get FBL after FBW goes on ops mode, meaning there at least couple of IAF squadrons.
member_23360
BRFite

Post by member_23360 »

is there any operational aircraft which supports FBL???
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

if you consider raptor is operational.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

akshat.kashyap wrote:is there any operational aircraft which supports FBL???
I do not think so. Gulfstream claimed to have one of their business jets flying around in 2008, but have not seen anything further than that.
raghuk wrote:I didn't mean FBL is unreliable, its just that its not is wide use therefore raising apprehensions, otherwise it saves a lot of weight and offers tremendous data rates but lets just say its still evolving ;)
Ah, got it. Thanks for confirming that it will appear on the AMCA.:)

Outside of weight no impact from electro magnetic gizmos and speed of data transfer.

BTW, for those who spend sleepless nights, there is something else to keep you occupied: fly-by-wireless. Yes. Sophisticated Bluetooth it seems.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

maitya wrote:
nikhil_p wrote: Chaiwallah informed that they have dropped the initial plan for major fuselage changes. The 414 will be tested on a slightly modded airframe (check which a/c is not flying) to get the control laws updated
LSP1 and 4 (and of course the PVs) haven't flown from atleast Jul'12 onwards and stuck at 74 and 56 flights respectively.

So on one of these the F414 will be tested, is it? Or back to the PVs for this round of testing?
:?:
As a reference, PV-1 is earmarked for testing new systems, including the Kaveri engine. PVs are the ideal candidates for testing new and experimental systems while the LSPs are geared more for getting the Mk.1 variant to the IOC and FOC. My guess for testing F-414 engine would be either PV-2 or 3. I figure PV-5 would be reserved for specifically testing 2-seater/naval configuration.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

NRao wrote:
BTW, for those who spend sleepless nights, there is something else to keep you occupied: fly-by-wireless. Yes. Sophisticated Bluetooth it seems.
Wouldnt the wireless data transfer rates be slower, plus more easily jammable from the outside.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

is even drive by light common ? few yrs back GM and nissan were making noises on it. the optical components needed are quite cheap @ 1gbps, people literally can buy them like lozenges. even 10gbps is not that expensive. presently the 40gbps and 100gbps are both a little power hungry and costly but folks like netz are working to lower cost of ownership so that every home can someday have such pipes. some experimental plugin optical module I use @ 100gbps cost around $10,000 each presently in limited sampling volume. but by next yr when it ships in volume shud be again cheaper.
anyway in a world where a 155mm shell costs $1000-2000 range this is nothing for a long duration component.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

fly by wireless is a recipe for disaster!

using FBL, it might be possible for fast correction into feedback control loops, and perhaps with in δt time it needs to finish an atomic pitch or yaw movement. Again all depends on the sensors, actuators speed at which it can keep pace with the optic data.

I am thinking it would be more useful in optimizing and increasing fuel efficiency in kaveri fadec controls (precision fuel-air-mixture controls, faster feedback help here), vane controls for stalls, and air flow controls.. and again all depends on how fast the interfacing devices can respond too.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

When we talk of engines, have we bothered to see if Mk-3's longer range does not clash with clamping clauses from any foreign vendor of any engine?

Better be much more careful for engines with platforms for longer range so that we don't have to deal with clauses that bind Indian aircraft ranges with point-defense as overall and only tactical outlook.

Better get next range specs considering longer and still longer ranges as a requirement for Mk-3 onwards instead of what is available in market as the only criteria.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

vishvak wrote:When we talk of engines, have we bothered to see if Mk-3's longer range does not clash with clamping clauses from any foreign vendor of any engine?
Have you ever heard of a "range clamping clause" on engines? I have never heard of such a clause? Once sold a range clamping clause cannot be enforced.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

:)
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

Since RCS is being discussed in china military thread here's a pdf to read from DRDO.

Radar Cross-section Measurement Techniques
manum
BRFite

Post by manum »

I have a software which measures RCS...of 3d models...

Though I dont know a thing about RCS...

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... s#p1046180
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

^are you using that software interfaced with some radar device, and you are using some target to analysis? unless you say what it is, it serves no purpose to this thread. And btw, even if RCS info is spelled out by ADA and labs, you will get a zilch info on the actual data. This is the top most secret any force should have. So, at the most one speculate.
member_23360
BRFite

Post by member_23360 »

fly by wireless

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-5423.html

A plane with no wires or mechanical connections between its engine, navigation system and onboard computers – only a wireless network – has been built and flown by engineers in Portugal.

The 3-metre-long uncrewed plane "AIVA" relies entirely upon a Bluetooth wireless network to relay messages back and forth between critical systems – a technique dubbed "fly-by-wireless".

Tests flights carried out in Portugal have shown that the system works well. Cristina Santos, at Minho University in Portugal, who developed the plane, says the aim is primarily to reduce weight and power requirements. "Also, if you do not have the cables then the system is much more flexible to changes," she says.

Many modern planes already use electronic wires, instead of the mechanical links and cables found in older planes, to connect components. This is a lighter and more compact way to control these systems. Some planes, such as the Boeing 777 even use optical fibres, which can carry multiple signals through a single cable.
Frederic
BRFite

Post by Frederic »

manum wrote:I have a software which measures RCS...of 3d models...

Though I dont know a thing about RCS...

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... s#p1046180
Manum,

Could you post the name of the SW that you used?
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

akshat.kashyap wrote:fly by wireless

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-5423.html

A plane with no wires or mechanical connections between its engine, navigation system and onboard computers – only a wireless network – has been built and flown by engineers in Portugal.

The 3-metre-long uncrewed plane "AIVA" relies entirely upon a Bluetooth wireless network to relay messages back and forth between critical systems – a technique dubbed "fly-by-wireless".

Tests flights carried out in Portugal have shown that the system works well. Cristina Santos, at Minho University in Portugal, who developed the plane, says the aim is primarily to reduce weight and power requirements. "Also, if you do not have the cables then the system is much more flexible to changes," she says.

Many modern planes already use electronic wires, instead of the mechanical links and cables found in older planes, to connect components. This is a lighter and more compact way to control these systems. Some planes, such as the Boeing 777 even use optical fibres, which can carry multiple signals through a single cable.
Shielding against external interference is going to be very interesting. I don't know anything about EW, but if this catches on, I'd be very surprised if countries don't develop powerful directional bluetooth jammers to jam or mess around with flight controls.
manum
BRFite

Post by manum »

RCS info can not be topmost secret 100%....because a lot of things come out in open once the products get launched...

though can be fruitless...given many obvious's in the field of action....

The software I used is CADRCS...it came as a plugin to my 3d modeling software...can be used independently as well..

all it needs is 3d model of the subject, which can be done by any professional organization...one can add clutter to the scene as well...

http://www.cadrcs.com/en/startpage.html

Added later...

even DRDO uses this software... http://www.cadrcs.com/en/references.html
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

first flight video of LCA by ADA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_7HGD61wLQ

while watching the video i felt very proud and emotional , especially with so many people standing and shouting slogans and so much excitement in the air. I had also seen the first flight then in TV but not in so much detail as provided in this link.
But then after 12 years i am really confused w.r.t my emotions for LCA, should i be happy with the progress made till now and feel excited with regard to the expectation from the future in terms of Tejas Mk.2 and AMCA or feel dissatisfied when one get to hear that we have a delay in assembly line for LCA and no FOC yet or no LCA in squadron service.
:-? :-? :-? :-?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

what you see, is not what our forces get. so relax.

don't expect f-22 raptor now.. that is only a humble request. we have long way to go on many things, and none of these are any failures. you should be happy about what has gone into tejas!

it is poised to make us proud only..
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

India, US finalise Rs 3000 crore deal for jet engines.

India and the US have finalised a Rs 3000-crore deal for supplying 99 jet engines to be used in the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft ‘Tejas’ being developed by the DRDO.

Around two years ago, India had selected the American company General Electric over its rival European Eurojet 2000 for the LCA Mark II programme expected to be ready around 2014-15.“The deal worth Rs 3,000 crore has been finalised with the US for procuring 99 engines for the LCA Tejas MkII,” DRDO officials said here.As per the contract, the order could be for 99 engines initially but India will have the option of ordering another 100 engines in the future.

The engine on offer for the LCA Mark II is GE F-414 engine, which are more powerful that the GE F-404 engines fitted in the first batch of LCAs that the Indian Air Force would receive in near future.

The need for changing the existing engines in the LCAs was felt after the IAF found out that the GE-404 engines were not providing enough power to the aircraft and more powerful engines were needed for the purpose.

The DRDO is developing the LCA Mk II to meet the Air Force requirements and it will have latest technological equipment including the Active Electronic Scanned Array (AESA) radar and would be able to carry more payload than the LCA Mk I.

Recently, the trials of the LCA Mk I were carried out in Pokhran desert firing range where laser-guided bombs and other weapon systems were tried.As per the current plans, the IAF will induct two squadrons of the LCA Mk I which would be followed by delivery of LCA Mk II aircraft.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

well, the catch is here:
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/226 ... ge-99.html

The PNC though stuck to its stand that it would not be a viable move for India and has finally convinced the US against such a payment. Two other important issues that were dealt with by the committee were, GE wanted India to sign the deal with one of its subsidiaries and not with it, citing various reasons and GE wanted India to agree to pay liabilities in case the IAF used aircraft powered by these engines to carry nuclear weapons and in case that crashed in Pakistan.

India was not keen on both the propositions. “...We had cleared the engine that was proposed by GE and not any of its subsidiaries for us to consider that.We wanted the company which responded to the RFP to be responsible,” a source from ADA said, adding that GE has been conviced to even drop the clause that requires us to pay liabilities.
once unkill will be always unkill!
GE will also help India integrate the engine with the airframe of the LCA.
hopefully, they will stay away from other internals.. and now this is all needed for mutus and other ddm-ers to mock at ADA.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

Personally I am not happy with any of the military deals with unkil, it's like India itself is funding for maintaining the terror infrastructure in Bakistan cause ultimately the funds we provide to American weapons manufacturer will end up in the form of baksheesh to bakis. We should not maintain any military relations with america or support any jobs there.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

The reason we have to calculate losses in technical debt and political debt that arises of procurement decision making and team GTRE for failing to think future. Holistic approach to R&D is vital, and it would increase cost multi-fold, but ROI should be at least 20% more than firang deals, in these niche sectors.

Unless a majority bleeds for Kaveri, things will not move in the right direction. The "brilliance" should be from internal to external. 99+100 GEs are fine, but Replacing these engines in the future is what we need to plan right now.
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

Taken from tarmak blog..

I think this is the first pic of LSP-7 (plane at the bottom right) in IAF grey.

suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Gurneesh ji this is a very old pic(atleast a year)
Brando
BRFite

Post by Brando »

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/226 ... ge-99.html

The PNC though stuck to its stand that it would not be a viable move for India and has finally convinced the US against such a payment. Two other important issues that were dealt with by the committee were, GE wanted India to sign the deal with one of its subsidiaries and not with it, citing various reasons and GE wanted India to agree to pay liabilities in case the IAF used aircraft powered by these engines to carry nuclear weapons and in case that crashed in Pakistan.
This really takes the cake!
Pakistan across the border is practicing nuclear bombing runs with their American made F16s and GE has the audacity to ask India to sign a "liability" clause to protect it in case Indian fighters crash in Pakistan with nuclear weapons ? What is Pakistan going to do exactly, sue GE after a nuclear war with India ?? I'm sure the PNC convinced them that in the event of a nuclear war they need not fear any liabilities from Pakistan as it would no longer exist to press any claims!

The Indian government's continued acceptance and tolerance of overt American military aid to Pakistan is something that is quite remarkable. India should make it clear that the continued sale of BVR missiles, F16s and other military equipment that emboldens Pakistan militarily against India is absolutely unacceptable to the Indian people as it should be to the American people who have been betrayed by Pakistan for decades!
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I say, we are in mad love with made in USA internals. No doubt they are excellent machines, but it should be accepted as challenge to build system. Worst case, there are equivalent engines, that missed only by a fist full of dollars. I don't understand this narrow missing of deals, you all know which I am talking about (ej200). It would have given us everything from thrust to advancement.. they were willing to go extra step.

Rather going all out on big ToT tie ups, we should engage firang companies deal with us on smaller component ToTing. That way, we can work things out.., and further that model helps us provide more stability and footprint for higher made in India tag value.
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

suryag wrote:Gurneesh ji this is a very old pic(atleast a year)
Ya my bad, this seems to be from previous aero india and the plane looks like PV1.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

99 + 100 injuns for how many Tejas planes. Will it be for 150 of 100 of some thing elsr entirly.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

dhiraj wrote:first flight video of LCA by ADA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_7HGD61wLQ

while watching the video i felt very proud and emotional , especially with so many people standing and shouting slogans and so much excitement in the air. I had also seen the first flight then in TV but not in so much detail as provided in this link.
But then after 12 years i am really confused w.r.t my emotions for LCA, should i be happy with the progress made till now and feel excited with regard to the expectation from the future in terms of Tejas Mk.2 and AMCA or feel dissatisfied when one get to hear that we have a delay in assembly line for LCA and no FOC yet or no LCA in squadron service.
:-? :-? :-? :-?
If you want to cry, check out the Jaguar story and then do the Rona-dhona :-) (mean in a nice way).

It is again a matter of priority by the GOI., not the ability. On the former we do not have control and on the latter there is no need for Rona-dhona. So relax and read Vivekji's scenarios where we beat the Chineese without LCA. Imagine what we could have done with LCA?
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Pratyush wrote:99 + 100 injuns for how many Tejas planes. Will it be for 150 of 100 of some thing elsr entirly.
@220.

And not counting NLCA. And no, AMCA will be different.