General Indian Military News & Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

General Indian Military News & Discussions

Post by nikhil_p »

New Thread as old one had crossed 100 page mark!

Link to last post on old thread here.
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... start=4000
Last edited by Rahul M on 04 Apr 2016 20:26, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: title edited
Gurinder P
BRFite

Re: Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

Post by Gurinder P »

I have a question about the Tu 95 platform and its derivatives. What are the fat blobs on the wings that are behind Engines 1 and 3 respectively?
Jaeger
BRFite

Post by Jaeger »

Are you talking about the Main Landing Gear bays?
wilson_th
BRFite -Trainee

Post by wilson_th »

Any idea if the claim is right about the advantages of Burnelli ESTOL design

http://www.combatreform.org/goodbyeftr.htm
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Gurinder P wrote:I have a question about the Tu 95 platform and its derivatives. What are the fat blobs on the wings that are behind Engines 1 and 3 respectively?
They are the Landing Gear nacelles. A side effect of the bulbous nacelles is that it provides better area ruling, leading to reduced drag and increased maximum and cruise speeds. One of the reasons the Tu-95, 142 and 114 are so fast despite being turboprops.
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

X-post
Texafr wrote:Rafale can easily take care of old aircraft like F-16 : http://youtu.be/2dAmEL6fhmg
But Typhoon struggles against this outdated plane : http://youtu.be/RAedQ7FMiKo

And this is not an isolated incident as Pakistani F-16s easily and soundly defeated RAF Eurofighter Typhoons during exercise Anatolian Eagle a few years ago.
This year again, bad news again, Pakistani pilots flying F-16s MLU easily defeated RSAF Typhoons. PAF pilots can fly circles around Typhoons.
Can anyone explain what all those lines and sounds mean? Links are also appreciated....
There is a line that curves showing target path(??)
There a rectangular box that represents target plane location(???)And there are also circular shapes(??)

Thank you.
govardhanks
BRFite

Post by govardhanks »

Mods, I am seeing the "India and Biological warfare" thread still on, in case if thread is supposed to be kept alive, then please change the name to "Chemical and Biological Weapon Threat", it is actually a threat, not a regular warfare technology which India and its beloved neighbors could use.
I really don't know about "arvindnath" ,whether he is really a newbie?(saw his qualifications), or there was a plan for thread, any case my apologies for him and consequent thread.
member_28652
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28652 »

I came across this link to the Sudden series of books by Oliver Strange. The books can be read online.

https://sites.google.com/site/suddenseries/

So any Sudden fans out there, I hope you enjoy.
Yagnasri

Post by Yagnasri »

This is Narayana Rao. I have changed my name as I have left my previous employer and now with another one. I will be posting from this id from now on wards. I have kept by old id in use.

Is there any process through which my oldie rank/badge continue here either transfer to the new id or by continuing in the new id?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Yagnasri, You should have let the admins change your old id to the new one if you want to keep your post count. So decide if you want that done. In that case new id will be deactivated to conform to forum policy on no to dual identities.
Yagnasri

Post by Yagnasri »

Please convert my name from Narayana Rao to Yagnasri sir. New Yagnasri can be deleted. I will post under Yagnasri only.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Boeing is (was) supposed to help DRDO/CSIR set up either a full scale Wind tunnel or a high altitude chamber gas turbine testing facility in Chitradurga, Karnataka on purchasing C-17. Well, the C-17s are here...any news on the progress of the above or is it like ToT deal from the Ruskies?
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

^Thanks for that one, it was a treat :D
vipins
BRFite

Post by vipins »

Philip wrote:http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subc ... 1007000096
India develops P1 drone to monitor Chinese border movements
Staff Reporter 2014-10-07
To monitor Chinese maneuvers in its border regions, India has recently designed its first low-altitude long-endurance drone, writes Ankit Panda, associate editor of the Tokyo-based Diplomat in a piece published on Oct. 2.

Panda said the drone, known as the P1, is expected to have a flight time of over 10 hours at a maximum altitude of 5,000 feet with an operating radius of 150 kilometers.It has been designed to help the Indian military monitor its borders against potential Pakistani and Chinese incursions. In addition to its military applications, the drone can be used for applications such as pollution monitoring and crowd control.

India has become a crucial partner of the United States in its Asia Pivot policy. In his article titled "The Pivot to India" written for Foreign Policy, Senator John McCain said the India-US strategic partnership is critical to encourage China to rise peacefully rather than try to change the status quo unilaterally and with coercion.
Gurus,How come a 'max altitude of 5000 feet' drone operate at Indo-chini border as average altitude would be greated than 7-8000 feet around than area??
member_20453
BRFite

Post by member_20453 »

Kalki as the name for LCH, seems to be ideal. Though as some suggested it can be used for more lethal systems such future longer range nuke missiles, but I think for true ICBMs we should still use Surya. Kalki sounds more like the ideal name for a platform rather than a weapon. The future long range cruise missile can be called Trishul. Dhruv can also be marketed as the Polestar ALH which is a cool name for it, LUH can be named Hamsa (Goddess Saraswati's ride) Light Utility Helicopter.

Some also suggested such names have little or no meaning for the enemy, but I for one support such names because it keeps our identity and can strike fear in the heart of the enemy. Kalki the destroyer will be the name once it rains down fire from the skies in battle. Terrorists have many nick names for the Apache.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Pooch with all respect. Pls kindly see the tasveer-e-Jarnailof the Chief of IA Staff, Gen. Dalbir Singh. A brave and effective leader, no doubt.

My question: Can't the IA afford a proper chin-strap for the General? Wonder how he talks with the strap like that. Also, a hat that fits? Or does he go around with his chin-strap under his nose and his hat askew, about to fall off, on purpose?

:?:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Mods please help:

How to get activated the ability to send private messages to fellow members???
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ You need to send your credit card details to the BRF email id .
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

I thought grandfathers birth certificate and will was what was needed, Im an surprised that just credit card details???!!!
shyamal
BRFite

Post by shyamal »

I have lurked on BRF for the last 8 years. Finally joined today. Very excited!!!
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

I was just checking new developments in RC plane area and came across these chaps from WREN turbines (http://www.wrenturbines.co.uk/turboprops) they make miniature jet engines .

Here is a Mig-15 model powered by a Wren 44 turbine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vnvsDV1u7U
Avarachan
BRFite

Post by Avarachan »

I have a newbie question. Can missiles like Shourya and Nirbhay (with conventional warheads) replace the need for the MMRCA? Based on recent events, I have come to the conclusion that none of the fighter jets available are a great fit (for either geopolitical or financial reasons). I'm aware that missiles aren't a great replacement for manned fighter aircraft, for a variety of reasons (flexibility, cost, etc.). However, could they be an adequate replacement, given the lack of other decent options?

It seems that this was the rationale behind China's emphasis on ballistic and cruise missiles rather than strike aircraft. Also, Russia seems to be using the Iskander missile in this way.
Last edited by Avarachan on 02 Jan 2015 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

negi wrote:I was just checking new developments in RC plane area and came across these chaps from WREN turbines (http://www.wrenturbines.co.uk/turboprops) they make miniature jet engines .

Here is a Mig-15 model powered by a Wren 44 turbine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vnvsDV1u7U
I met the CEO of Wren and he mentioned that he would like to get back into India.

When I overcome my laziness will post a few close ups I took of his jet engines.

Fotos @ http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 7#p1773767

And also a slew of model air crafts (SR-71, UPS commercial, F-16, MiGs, etc) that used such jet engines (taken at a international jet model gathering).
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Didn't want to post in the space thread. Given that we'll have our own IRNSS sats in place very soon, will see our military making use of it instead of GPS hereon? Planes, munitions etc? That glide bomb with a GPS capability will be perfect. Launch and let it swoop in on a target all by itself without needing laser designation or other type of target identifying. Same with missiles too.
member_28652
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28652 »

Paris shooting. Quite a few dead. Live now on Times Now
member_28948
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28948 »

1st post, so please to kick testimonials gently onlee ;)

I wanted to check if there was any trend towards using "Robot Pilot" technology (in the same vein as QF-4/QF-16 etc) for testing of new manned aircraft. I mean, why risk the TP's life when testing risky stuff such as stall/spin recovery, increasing AoA if a 'robot pilot' can do the same. Might also help in speeding up the testing phase of the aircraft because test plan can be more aggressive.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Recently we were looking for GE or EJ-200 engines for LCA. Of course we know that F-414 was selected, but does it mean that the two engines are similar enough to be aligned into the LCA airframe? Or have their been significant design changes in LCA to accommodate F-414?

I am quite a newbie to these technical matters since I have no expertise or experience in aerospace engineering.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

I just wanted to make sure if members need to pass some kind of exam in order to post stuff on threads like LCA. The way posters are being awarded with warnings on LCA thread, make me wonder if I missed something.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Kashi wrote:Recently we were looking for GE or EJ-200 engines for LCA. Of course we know that F-414 was selected, but does it mean that the two engines are similar enough to be aligned into the LCA airframe? Or have their been significant design changes in LCA to accommodate F-414?

I am quite a newbie to these technical matters since I have no expertise or experience in aerospace engineering.
Thank you for moving your post here.

Engines can be replaced within an airframe if they are new one is a "drop-fit" for the old one. This means that
1. The engines have the same dimensions and mounting points.
2. The accessorries have more or less same dimensions and mounting points.
3. The difference in thrust does not require much structural changes.

Generally, these conditions are not met by two completely different engines, unless the engines are specifically designed for that purpose. For example the F-125 from Honeywell is a drop fit for the Turbomecca Adour. Sometimes even upgrades of the same engine (like the F414 from the F404) cannot be drop-fitted. For example GE F414 (used in the LCA Mk2, F-18 E/F, and Grippen E/F) is the upgrade of the F404 (used in the LCA Mk1, F-18 C/D, and Grippen C/D) which satisfies all the above 3 requirements. However, because the pressure and mass-flow rate of air at the intake of the two engines are different, the air intake of the aircraft has to be modified, which starts a chain of other modifications.

If you want to know more, you are just a few Google searches away :wink:
jamwal wrote:I just wanted to make sure if members need to pass some kind of exam in order to post stuff on threads like LCA. The way posters are being awarded with warnings on LCA thread, make me wonder if I missed something.
Not a test for the poster, but a test for the post.
Post if:
1. You have news on LCA or LCA-program.
2. You have a question and Googling out the answer is not easy. Posters with stupid questions will be warned. Mark your questions with numbers and keep them to the point.
3. You can answer questions with proper technical points. Learn the difference between knowing and thinking that you know. Don't let gurus and moderators point it out to you. It will not be pretty.
4. You found out something about a shortcoming/problem/quality of LCA Tejas, which you think is not known to most.
It is a much required step to elevate the quality of posts. One shouldn't just post for the sake of posting. Neither should one expect spoon feeding. It is just horrible for the other posters who have to sieve through all that clutter. Many posters were cautioned multiple times. Moderators were forced to become more strict. Asking the posters to do some research before posting things that they don't know of is not that bad an ask, is it?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

jamwal wrote:I just wanted to make sure if members need to pass some kind of exam in order to post stuff on threads like LCA. The way posters are being awarded with warnings on LCA thread, make me wonder if I missed something.
jamwal sahab, for your reading pleasure, the first post of any LCA thread :
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 5#p1530475
the top part is a copy of a post I wrote about 5 years back. note especially the part in red.

the rule has always been there. it's just that it has been enforced.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Rahul M guru:

The second link is 404.
2.Remembrance of Aeronautical Matters Past (Brief history of India's Aerospace Industry)
http://vayuaerospace.in/Selected_articl ... brance.htm
so are 5 and 6.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Thank you for pointing these out. I will correct the same.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

OK. Thanks
shyamal
BRFite

Post by shyamal »

Can anyone suggest some fiction books about the Indian defence forces on kindle?
I have already read(in paper books) the four books by Mukul Deva and another one called "the seize of warwan".
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^Check out the scenarios thread for a lot of good stories. By extension, you can try "Chimera" by our own Vivek Ahuja. It's available on Amazon paperback/kindle. I have the paperback version.
shyamal
BRFite

Post by shyamal »

arshyam wrote:^^Check out the scenarios thread for a lot of good stories. By extension, you can try "Chimera" by our own Vivek Ahuja. It's available on Amazon paperback/kindle. I have the paperback version.
Thank you. I will check out chimera.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

I have a newbie question after reading this post: http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 9#p1797639

Given the challenges and complexities involved in MMRCA acquisition, how can IAF think creatively to perform its role in protecting and extending Indian security interests? Why not use this opportunity to leap-frog to nextGen warfare?

Assumption: Even if MMRCA contract goes ahead, IAF will not get more than 60 aircraft before 2020 and rest between 2021-27. Yet it needs to be ready for a two-front war anytime from now to next 10yrs.

Some thoughts >>
* Can IAF mix Mig29K and Tejas to achieve Air dominance and medium strike requirements of MMRCA project?
* Can IAF mix HALE UAVs, Brahmos/Nirbhay/Prahar missiles to support medium strike requirements of MMRCA project?
* Can IAF shorten the strategic and operational vision behind its MMRCA acquisition to 5 years (instead of 10yrs) by using a mix of above?

For example:
* IAF can acquire 60 Mig 29Ks + 60 Tejas in 5 years with ~$5B investment. This should fill its squadron requirements.
* IAF can acquire 100 Searcher (or something Made in India) + assorted Brahmos/Nirbhay/Prahar (500+1000+1000) missiles for another $5B

What other strategic mis-match is there beyond the following points?
* MMRCA life span is 30yrs, where as the UAV+Missile combo my be limited to 10yrs
* MMRCA component of IAF (126/800) translates to dropping of ~7000 pieces of ordinance in 30days of war. Can this rate be supported by above model?

Thanks in advance...