Possible Indian Military Scenarios - XIII

Sanku
BRF Oldie

Re: Possible Indian Military Scenarios - XIII

Post by Sanku »

Are the books likely to be in bookstores in Desh as well? I/and or others may not be making a online purchase?
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Sanku wrote:Are the books likely to be in bookstores in Desh as well? I/and or others may not be making a online purchase?
The short answer is Yes.

But initially, the books will initially be marketed in India/Asia by GoVasool.com via their pre-order link and then regular orders once the books arrive in quantity with them through the local publisher. I should have updates on the link and ordering procedure for folks here within the week.

We are also looking at some bookstores which might pick up the book as well, depending on the reviews.

On that front, BTW, I got the news that Tarmak blog and the Indian Express will review this book for me. I am arranging for them to receive the hard copies at the moment.

-Vivek
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

13 Reviews and Third Place in Search by Chimera in all categories.
Congrates. I am sure NRI BRF biradars are putting their money where their heart is.

My Copy has been shipped and is in Departure Scan at NY ARAMEX.

Reading sob stories about ARAMEX.
Last edited by chaanakya on 19 Feb 2013 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
shyamoo
BRFite

Post by shyamoo »

Just ordered my copy from Amazon. The least I could do for all the entertainment/military gyaan provided.

Vivek saar, do you plan on coming out with an audio book version and if so, will you be using a desi/american/british voice? Although, I would prefer our good old desi, I think for a broader audience, other options might be better!! JMT.
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

book ordered via amazon. good luck vivek. You have wonderful talent
nmadhav
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nmadhav »

Just got the book. Amazing read. I don't know where else to post this but I wonder if could add what all the acronyms mean after the end of the book. Thanks again for the wonderful work.
member_24793
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_24793 »

Vivek Ji, I am a long time reader of your scenarios on BRF, but only recently became a registered member. I can't wait to get my hands on your first offering. Could you please inform me when GoVasool is going to start pre-orders in India?

I wish you all the best in your future literary endevours. Jai Hind
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

Ordered copy. But Amazon will only deliver by April 1st week. What to do?

Added later: It's number 1 and has 14 reviews already. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
samverma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by samverma »

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( ...i want book too...when coming to Desh?
jjambunathan

Post by jjambunathan »

Book ordered via Amazon.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

samverma wrote:SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( ...i want book too...when coming to Desh?
Please to be patient a bit longer saar, won't be long. :(

venkatesh_v wrote:Could you please inform me when GoVasool is going to start pre-orders in India?
Update on the Indian publication:

Harper-Collins has indeed dropped out and I haven't received much information from them as to why that is the case. Pretty usual behavior on that front so not much surprise there.

Instead, Mehra publishers have taken up the book with some enthusiasm and GoVasool will be tailoring the pre-order page for their print. The pre-order link should go online in the next few days. Things are moving fast now and I will keep you guys in the loop as I hear them. There might be a change in format of the book for the Indian print versus the one on amazon: same content but perhaps different page sizing, etc.

Thanks

-Vivek
Last edited by vivek_ahuja on 20 Feb 2013 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Mukesh.Kumar wrote:Ordered copy. But Amazon will only deliver by April 1st week. What to do?
:shock:

Did you order from India? If so, I wonder if that is what is causing the delay. You might want to cancel that order and go with the Indian publication of the book here in a few days.
jjambunathan wrote:Book ordered via Amazon.
Please to leave feedback/comments on that page when you get a chance to finish reading the book. :)
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

April ? :eek:
I was about to get an Amazon account to buy this book. Now I'll just wait for the Indian launch.
Vivek ji, what about Ebook launch ? Any progress on that front ?
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

I just got mine delivered just now.. !!
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

jamwal wrote:Vivek ji, what about Ebook launch ? Any progress on that front ?
So the legalities of the eBook is where things are stuck right now. I have requested GoVasool and Mehra Publishers to expedite the paperback version and that will be the first product out. Once that is done and dusted, the next item will be the eBook version. But I am going linearly on this just because its all new territory (especially the legal stuff etc) for me. Fenix and Gryphon ( 8) :wink: ) will be far more streamlined in terms of product delivery now that we have charted a usable path through the woods, as it were, with Chimera.

-Vivek
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Prithwiraj wrote:I just got mine delivered just now.. !!
Read it over the next four days and report for duty to the Amazon review page. :D
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

I think there is a reason someone stole my copy. The tracking number shows delivered but i dont have the book.

I think I should get the manuscript from Vivekji for all the disappointment I endured

P.S: Customer is always right :evil:
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

RamaY wrote:I think there is a reason someone stole my copy. The tracking number shows delivered but i dont have the book.

I think I should get the manuscript from Vivekji for all the disappointment I endured

P.S: Customer is always right :evil:
But...But...I am humble author onlee! I protest! :cry:

On a serious note, you really should lodge a complaint with amazon for that. This is totally unacceptable and demand a new copy or a refund. I have done this with amazon one time in the past for a different book, and they sent me a new copy and an apology letter.

Unfortunate that this happened, though. I ordered a few copies of the book for my personal library and family members and they arrived within a few days without delay.

-Vivek
Last edited by vivek_ahuja on 20 Feb 2013 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Did you call UPS/Fedex or whoever was delivering it? It seems they delivered to the wrong address. Or they left it on your porch and someone lifted it.

Amazon customer service is usually good. You can get a refund or replacement from them as well.
nramprabhu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nramprabhu »

Just ordered ... Will put review / 5* as soon as possible.

Order Number: 102-2399060-XXXXXX
1 item will be shipped to Ramprabhu Narasimman by Amazon.com. Estimated delivery: Feb. 22, 2013
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

nachiket wrote:Did you call UPS/Fedex or whoever was delivering it? It seems they delivered to the wrong address. Or they left it on your porch and someone lifted it.

Amazon customer service is usually good. You can get a refund or replacement from them as well.
Yes. They delivered it thru Postal Service. The guy says he doesnt have the book. He is going to check the office and confirm.

Then will put a complaint with Amazon.

Vivekji - Excuses, excuses and excuses for not giving the manuscript.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

RamaY wrote:Vivekji - Excuses, excuses and excuses for not giving the manuscript.
:)

Try the complaint route with amazon. If they raise up their hands and stonewall, let me know and I will arrange for something. 8)
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

I am in two minds whether to wait for the Kindle version, or get the paperback. Vivek saar, do you have a date in mind for release of the Kindle version or is it too early to say?

Meanwhile 16 reviews so far - all five star. :D It now shows up second in the list if you search for "Chimera" in Books section and third if you search all departments.

Edit: Just saw your response to Jamwal regarding ebook. It seems it is difficult for you to put a date on that right now. So I'll probably go for the paperback..
Ashok Sarraff
BRFite

Post by Ashok Sarraff »

Ordered on Amazon, delivery (promised) day after tomorrow. :-)
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Vivek Ji

I have a question regarding the book. I have not followed the scenarios thread at all. Should I read the scenarios first before reading the book or the other way round or any sequence is fine? If I read the book, where does it end in the scenarios thread?

I am going to get it from Amazon along with a few other books on my wishlist within a day or two.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

matrimc wrote:I have a question regarding the book. I have not followed the scenarios thread at all. Should I read the scenarios first before reading the book or the other way round or any sequence is fine? If I read the book, where does it end in the scenarios thread?
The book is pretty much standalone and can be read regardless of the scenario. In fact, it is an improvement on the scenario because the scenario acted as a rough first draft of the novel. So when I revisited it for conversion into a book last November, I rewrote whole sections and added new material to the Tibetan ops scenes in the prelude-to-war chapter. Plus it was reformatted and cleaned for the book.

So if you haven't read the scenario in the previous avatar of the scenarios dhaga, my suggestion is to go straight for the book. Hopefully you will like it and if so, please do put up your review on the amazon link.

Thanks

-Vivek
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Vivek ji, while I admit not having spent time in following your scenarios on this thread, I wanted to support your generous efforts on this thread by buying your book.

Delivery Estimate: Tuesday February 26, 2013 by 8:00pm

I look forward to jet fuel starting my reading habit with your book. Many thanks :)
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

PratikDas wrote:I look forward to jet fuel starting my reading habit with your book. Many thanks :)
I hope the book does not have the opposite effect and put you to sleep instead! :mrgreen: :rotfl:

But if it does have a positive effect, then I will take the compliment. Thanks!
Rampy
BRFite

Post by Rampy »

Vivek Sir

Got the book in hand few days back.... its amazing, cant put it down :)
Vinit
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vinit »

Suggestion: People who cannot, or do not wish to order from Amazon, can add the book to their wish-lists. This does not place an order, but indicates that you find the book of interest and are considering ordering it. I've been told (though am not sure) that this helps rankings as well.

Vivek, hearty congratulations and all the best!
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

vivek_ahuja wrote: Did you order from India? If so, I wonder if that is what is causing the delay.
Vivek, I did not order from India. I leave in an unspeakable part of the world where books on similar themes are generally frowned upon. But does not matter. As they say, "The longer you wait, the sweeter does the khajoor become."
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Vivekji.. thanks for the idea of putting a complaint to Amazon...

I am very impressed by their customer support. Should get my replacement copy in a day or two...

I hope someone else got my previous copy and read it and shared it with friends...
member_24770
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_24770 »

Dear Vivek Ji,

Ordered your book from Amazon and have started reading it, now on page 48. The book rank on Amazon where I purchased it is 28,628. The book is great so far. One suggestion, try and get a well done kindle edition together. Normally do not bother with paper anymore, an electronic read is so much lighter. More when I finish the read.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Rampy wrote:Got the book in hand few days back.... its amazing, cant put it down :)
Thank you saar! :)
RamaY wrote:Vivekji.. thanks for the idea of putting a complaint to Amazon...
No problem. Hopefully this time around it will make it! I guess keeping an eye on the tracker should help in the ahem, "GCI" of the book. :mrgreen:

sanjayg wrote:Ordered your book from Amazon and have started reading it, now on page 48. The book is great so far.
Thanks! :)
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

To all readers in India,

I have a bit of bad news. I was just notified yesterday that the publisher has requested a month to "review" for what they are calling a "controversial" book, given the details discussed in there. I guess they are going to come back to me with a list of de-sensitizing "corrections" which I am unfortunately in no mood of doing. I will give them the time they need to review the book for whatever they find controversial, of course, but I feel that what made the book good was its gory and brutal realistic concepts. And I am not going to necessarily change all that to make it a generic Tom-Clancy style blatantly pro-India book.

So its possible that, after a month:

a) The publisher will say "Nope. Can't publish it because of the nature of the book."
b) The publisher does agree to publish the book, but has a list of changes so damaging to the nature and style of the book that its meaningless to try and publish under my name. And I won't do that. (This, incidentally, is more likely given what I am hearing)
c) The publisher comes forward with only cosmetic changes (for copyright reasons etc) and is otherwise okay with it. (I will be more surprised than anybody else if this happens!)

But even if these were to happen, it would still take a month before we know anything!

Didn't realize how much resistance there is in mainstream India for books of this kind, even though almost everybody associated with the military (physically or in heart) that I have heard from do like the book! Incidentally, Tarmak blog and the Indian Express have already received their copies and will be publishing a review soon. Will update as I know more.

So I am considering backup options here.

One of which is the eBook version on amazon. If that happens, people in India can buy a copy of the book online even from amazon if required.

Not sure though if that will have much impact (Reason: I am unsure how widespread eBooks are in India!).

What do you guys think?

-Vivek
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Vivek mullah, you have e-chitthi..
aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

Vivek saar, can I order the original version in Delhi via Amazon ?
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

aniket wrote:Vivek saar, can I order the original version in Delhi via Amazon ?
I know some readers have ordered their copies to be delivered to India from amazon. Turns out they will deliver, just that it could take a couple of weeks depending on what delivery option you pay for.

Since you are in Delhi, I suppose it will go quicker than for other locations.

But I ordered some copies to go to India as well from amazon and they went seem to have made it in one piece!
aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

vivek_ahuja wrote:
aniket wrote:Vivek saar, can I order the original version in Delhi via Amazon ?
I know some readers have ordered their copies to be delivered to India from amazon. Turns out they will deliver, just that it could take a couple of weeks depending on what delivery option you pay for.

Since you are in Delhi, I suppose it will go quicker than for other locations.

But I ordered some copies to go to India as well from amazon and they went seem to have made it in one piece!
Thanks ,i'll order it first thing tomorrow.
rohankumaon
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rohankumaon »

@Vivek - You can still self publish and make it available through flipkart. I know someone in flipkart to get more information. You can put a preorder page and then publish the number required and then do the distribution through flipkart. Let me know if this make any sense at all..