Indian Naval News & Discussion - 12 Oct 2013

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Kersi D
BRFite

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Post by Kersi D »

HELP HELP HELP

Hey everybody

How do you insert a pic on BRF ?

How do you insert a video on BRF ?

Kersi
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Prasad wrote:O/T The number of people taking a picture of Vishakapatnam is amazing!
It is the new form of Salutations.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

kersi use the full editor, paste the link first, then mark the link with mouse end to end and then click on image button
K_Rohit
BRFite

Post by K_Rohit »

Why is P15B that much heavier than P15A? Same propulsion, same armament, what adds weight?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

diff is only 200t per reports. perhaps additional fuel, bow sonar, a heavier PA radar on the aft mast, more armour in some areas .
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

Guys - how many cruise missiles does the Vizag class carry ? I used the Kolkata specs from Wiki and assumed it was 16, but all the news reports mention it is just 8 :shock: And coupled with just 32 Barak-8s.

That's a long way down from Delhi class with 16 anti-surface missiles + 32 Barak-1 + 48 Shtil (reading numbers of the wiki - so may be off) at only 6200 tons.

What am I missing ?
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Our friend Mr Joseph Chacko of Frontier India, has come with a new book on IN submarines. This book should be interested as it is probably the first and only book on IN submarines

http://frontierindia.org/product/foxtro ... arine-arm/

Kersi
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Singha wrote:kersi use the full editor, paste the link first, then mark the link with mouse end to end and then click on image button
Sorry Mr Singha. But I am lost !!!

Please tell me how exactly to go from this INDIAN NAVAL DISCUSSIONS page.

Kersi
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Kersi-saar, just post the URLS of your photos and videos. Djinns will do the rest 8)

Prasad, I thought for a second, they were waving the ship off. Then saw the 10s of devices in the air. Considering the price point of its smartphone handsets, cheen needs its Uoooaawei to add a network aggregator and it will have its own Gorgon Stare over at these docks :lol:

Tribute to ATV launch, no such laxity
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

I have not uploaded them anywhere. One video and 2 pics are on my HDD
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlK27dw-jAc

For those who know Tamil, a long programme on INS Vizag ... a bit of nice video in the beginning. And discussion by a couple of armed forces folk. Very patriotic feeling infused through the discussion.

And one from DNA, Zeenews, in Hindi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6lXNnOzDao
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

If possible I will e-mail it to one the admins who may do the needful. My ID k e r s i k d o t i w a l l a A@T r e d i f f m a i l .dot. com
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Kersi D wrote:I have not uploaded them anywhere. One video and 2 pics are on my HDD
you can upload the images to http://imgur.com/ and video to youtube and post the links here. signing up for those accounts is free. if you already have gmail a/c the youtube credentials are already there.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Singha wrote:
Kersi D wrote:I have not uploaded them anywhere. One video and 2 pics are on my HDD
you can upload the images to http://imgur.com/ and video to youtube and post the links here. signing up for those accounts is free. if you already have gmail a/c the youtube credentials are already there.
That's the only solution available to me
jaladipc
BRFite

Post by jaladipc »

Hello everyone, its been a very long long time and thought to pay a visit based on some chai pe charcha with the paanwallah

A follow on to the Visakha class will be announced with full spectrum of defensive capabilities with ABM being prime focus. Paanwallah says 3 hulls on initial order with +2 under consideration if the private shipyard can deliver on time and meet ezzzpectations. it was said the esize of the steel required will put in a different class
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

India launches first-of-class Project 15B destroyer

http://www.janes.com/article/50802/indi ... -destroyer
Mazagon Dockyard Limited launched Vishakhapatnam , the first of four 7,300-tonne Project 15B guided missile destroyers being built for the Indian Navy (IN), in Mumbai on 20 April.

IN officials said it would be commissioned in July 2018 and delivery of the three follow-on platforms at two year intervals will be completed by 2024 at an overall cost of INR293.40 billion (USD4.89 billion).

Vishakhapatnam is a follow on design from the Project 15A destroyers, the first of which - INS Kolkata - was commissioned in August 2014. The remaining two - Kochi and Chennai - are expected to join service by early 2016.

Vishakhapatnam 's key differences from the Project 15A class include the relocation of its sonar to the bow from the hull; the design of its mast, which houses its main radar, has also been revised to further reduce its radar cross section.

Other changes include reshaping of the hull to accentuate its stealth features and the addition of a rail-less helicopter traversing system.

The IN claims that over 65% of the 164 m-long Vishakhapatnam is indigenously sourced, including its DMR249 A steel and 11 of its weapon and associated sensor systems. Its imported components include four Ukrainian-built Zorya-Mashproekt DT-59 gas turbines, Russian propellers and shafting, assorted weaponry, sensors and radar.

The destroyer is fitted with the locally developed Ship Data Network, which manages its power, integrated platform and combat management systems.

IN officials said Vishakhapatnam would be fitted with the IAI-Elta-designed EL/M-2248 Multi-Function Surveillance Threat Alert Radar (MF-STAR) to provide guidance to 32 Barak-8/NG air-defence missiles, which have a 70 km range. IN officials claim that MF-STAR is capable of simultaneously tracking multiple seaborne targets up to a distance of 25 km and fighter aircraft upto 250 km away.

The Barak-8/NG, under joint development by Rafael-IAI and India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) since 2006, will be test-fired in October from Kolkata and fitted onto other warships, including Vishakhapatnam , officials said. The Barak-8 was successfully tested in Israel in November 2014.

The destroyer will also be fitted with IAI-Elta EL/M-2238 S-band (2 to 4 GHz) 3-D volume air surveillance radar (STAR) radar and a Thales LW-08 D-band air search radar.

Vishakhapatnam 's principal weapon will be eight BrahMos anti-ship cruise missiles co-developed by the DRDO and Russia. A test-firing of Brahmos was conducted from Kolkata on 9 January.

The ship's anti-submarine warfare capability includes twin-tube launchers and RBU-6000 SMERCH-2 rocket launchers built by private defence contractor Larsen & Toubro (L&T).

Other armaments include a licence-built 76 mm Oto Melara Super Rapid Gun, four Russian AK-630 close-in weapon systems and a 127 mm main gun, which is still under negotiation.

In January India's Ministry of Defence approved the INR15 billion procurement of 13 127 mm guns. Oto Melara emerged as the sole bidder with its 127 mm/64-calibre gun along with its precision-guided Vulcano round when BAE Systems declined to offer its 127 mm/62-cal Mk 45 Naval Gun System in response to the November 2013 tender. However, IN sources said BAE Systems is re-considering its options and a re-evaluation of the acquisition is anticipated.

Meanwhile, senior IN officials said INS Vikramaditya (ex-Admiral Gorshkov), the IN's 44,750-tonne Kiev-class aircraft carrier, will be equipped with a Barak-1 point defence system during its first minor refit around June.

They said the carrier, which joined service in late 2013, would receive the Barak-1 system currently fitted to the frigate INS Godavari , which is being decommissioned. The installation will be carried out at INS Kadamba, the IN's new base at Karwar on India's southwest coast.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

So P-15A has 16 Barak-8 and they doubled it to 32 for P-15B , Brahmos still remains 8 wonder why such low number.

CIWS is just Ak-630M no Barak-1 or will be retrofitted later who knows Maitri or naval variant of Astra VLS
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Austin, P 15a has 32 Barak 8 and Janes simply lifts information from news media reporting of 8 i would wait till confirmation since detailed piece already said 16.
prabhug
BRFite

Post by prabhug »

My question again . Why is laser guided SAM not used in CIWS missiles for the navy ? Is there anything already i have missed
member_28911
BRFite

Post by member_28911 »

Austin wrote:So P-15A has 16 Barak-8 and they doubled it to 32 for P-15B , Brahmos still remains 8 wonder why such low number.

CIWS is just Ak-630M no Barak-1 or will be retrofitted later who knows Maitri or naval variant of Astra VLS
P-15A (Calcutta class) has 32 Barak-8 VLS and 16 Brahmos VLS.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

The armament of P 15B is similar to P 15A. It has 32 Barak 8 VLS launchers and 16 Brahmos VLS launchers.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Last edited by Rahul M on 21 Apr 2015 22:12, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: put only video id in utube tags. the part AFTER v=
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ccxCvz ... e=youtu.be

The launch of the first P 15B destroyer of IN. She will be named INS Visakhapatnam

K
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted from the STFUP thread.

Pakistan Navy attempts to help Pakistani boat carrying 232 Kilograms of narcotics apprehended by a joint Indian Navy and Coast Guard team to escape arrest.

Attempt to engineer an escape of the Pakistani boat by the Pakistan Navy foiled due to “heavy presence of Indian Navy and Coast Guard warships”.

Given the attempt of the Pakistan navy to engineer an escape of the Pakistani drug smugglers, our Government must do a thorough check to rule out that this was not a Pakistan State sponsored narcotic smuggling ring with intent to raise funding from narcotics to foment Mohammadden Terrorism in our country:

Pakistan boat seizure: Crew contacted Pakistan Navy for help
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

prabhug wrote:My question again . Why is laser guided SAM not used in CIWS missiles for the navy ? Is there anything already i have missed
Palma a cheaper variant of Kashtan uses laser guided Sosna missiles, laser guidance is cheaper than command guidance problem. But laser guidance has its drawbacks it is not all weather capable and i am not sure how effective they are at hitting sea skimmers in high sea states. But regardless they have same weakness as command guidance in that only limited number can be guided. Both have been replaced by active guided missiles with drop in prices for seeker/onboard computer. Only matter of time before missiles have network centric capabilities and can share data between each other increasing tracking capability.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

India to Purchase Harpoon Missiles Worth $145 Million
The Indian MoDs Defence Acquisition Council has cleared the purchase of another 22 Harpoon anti-ship missile at a cost Rs 913 crores ($145 million).

This was in the pipeline as a foreign military sales deal with the department of defence of the USA. The missiles are manufactured by Boeing Defence, Space and Aerospace.

The missiles will be integrated with the Sihsumar class submarines – the Indian version of the HDW submarines.

Harpoon missiles have three versions: for the army, navy and the air force. The naval version is named UGM 84.

Indian navy had earlier procured 26 such missiles for itself to be fitted on P81 surveillance aircrafts for $200 million. Another 26 were brought by the Indian Air Force.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

At 7 million these must be the most expensive subsonic asm in the world. Being bulk item its high time we started our own product. China has some ten domestic models already