Mangalyaan: ISRO's Mars Orbiter Mission

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Re: Mangalyaan : ISRO's Mars Orbiter Mission

Post by Dilbu »

Mangalyaan will fail onlee. :(( :(( :((
(Those who don't know what this is, pliss to see my location)
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Dilbu wrote:Mangalyaan will fail onlee. :(( :(( :((
(Those who don't know what this is, pliss to see my location)
About time Dilbu Saar!!!
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

ISRO to test-fire Mangalyaan for Sept 24 Mars rendezvous
"Since the engine has been idle for more than 300 days, we may have to test fire it," Isro chairman K Radhakrishnan said.
May have to test fire it or will have to test fire it? If main engine fails, they will have time to work with the smaller thrusters. Report says even a 5 second firing could send it off course. These guys need stout hearts for sure. Fingers crossed.
shravanp
BRF Oldie

Post by shravanp »

Newbie question. How's the Deep Space Network setup for ISRO? From wiki, it says only Bayalu. NASA seems to have three ones (California, Spain, Australia) to cover day/night and for all positions.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Mort Walker wrote:Calling dilbu to please place your reverse nazar here.
Thanks dilbu.
Shaktimaan
BRFite

Post by Shaktimaan »

Skekatpuray, ISRO has 2 tracking ships in the Pacific ocean : SCI Nalanda and SCI Yamuna. In addition, NASA's Deep Space Network will also be providing support.

Edit : ISRO also has ground stations in Mauritius, Brunei and Indonesia.
shravanp
BRF Oldie

Post by shravanp »

Shaktimaan wrote:Skekatpuray, ISRO has 2 tracking ships in the Pacific ocean : SCI Nalanda and SCI Yamuna. In addition, NASA's Deep Space Network will also be providing support.

Thanks Shaktiman.
juvva
BRFite

Post by juvva »

Shaktimaan wrote:Skekatpuray, ISRO has 2 tracking ships in the Pacific ocean : SCI Nalanda and SCI Yamuna. In addition, NASA's Deep Space Network will also be providing support.

But are all these stations capable of Deep Space Communication,? I thought only Byalalu antennae are large enough for communicating with Deep space probes like MOM.

Also I think the ships were used only for the launch to take care of some coverage gaps from the land stations, I doubt if these ships are still in the same position.
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Test fire of main engine to be done on 22nd for 5 mts and if that fails, backup is secondary thrusters.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

The LAM engine has been idle for over 300 days.....Murugaaaa.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

MOM will fail onlee. :(( :(( :((
sarkar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sarkar »

juvva wrote: Also I think the ships were used only for the launch to take care of some coverage gaps from the land stations, I doubt if these ships are still in the same position.
You are right. SCI Nalanda is in Bay of Bengal and SCI Yamuna is in Arabian ocean.
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/de ... C_I_YAMUNA
http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/det ... CI_NALANDA
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

De de ………………Allah ke naam pe Mars ka ek photu he de de baba. Why we have no photu (from MOM) of Mars?
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Are you serious? MOM has not reached there yet. (I see. This is a chaddi pulling post)
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

SwamyG wrote:The LAM engine has been idle for over 300 days.....Murugaaaa.
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 399237.ece
In the case of the Mars probe, the engine was fired seven times to propel the spacecraft beyond Earth’s gravitational hold. But after putting the spacecraft on course to Mars on December 1 last year, the engine had to remain idle for nearly 300 days. During such a lengthy coasting phase, valves in the propellant lines that were exposed to propellants might leak and not function properly.

ISRO has therefore put a second set of propellant lines for the liquid engine. One set of propellant lines was closed off after the engine fired to take the spacecraft out of Earth orbit. The other set will be opened when the time comes for the engine to fire again later this month.

Tests had been carried out on the ground to make sure that the engine could be restarted after such prolonged coasting, according to the ISRO chairman, K. Radhakrishnan. To check the engine's performance, it will be fired for about four seconds on September 22.

Then, on September 24, the engine will be fired for around 24 minutes to reduce the spacecraft's velocity by about 1.1 km per second and place it in orbit around Mars, Dr. Radhakrishnan told this correspondent.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

http://www.isro.org/chandrayaan/htmls/g ... etwork.htm

They use other networks especially for delta dor measurements
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

timing is more important.. within mars gravity field, i think we need only fewer newton thrusts to get into orbit than that required for trans-mars orbit injections.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Also, MAVEN, if all goes well, will also slow down on Sept 21, just a few days before MOM's firing of rockets, to enter the orbit of Mars.
Ranjani Brow

Post by Ranjani Brow »

MOM will fail :cry: :cry:

/anti-jinx
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Wow it takes 13 hours to load - was thinking a few minutes !
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Tales 10 minutes for transmitting 1 Mb
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

prasannasimha wrote:Tales 10 minutes for transmitting 1 Mb
Hmm - I once had a modem like that! :D

More seriously - I wonder what temperature the Mars probe itself will be at. I presume that the shade side will be cold and sun side hot - so is it kept rotating or shaded from sun by a solar panel or what?
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Victor wrote:Test fire of main engine to be done on 22nd for 5 mts and if that fails, backup is secondary thrusters.
Muruga.....

BTW, do they see Rahukalam, Yamakandam....ityadi for this? {ducks for cover}
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

I am sure they even tied a lemon to the probe. :D

People there in SHAR are deeply religious. All rockets ithyadi will be put in front of Lord Venkateswara at Thirupathi for his blessings. So please do not worry on that side. The mission itself is a complicated one and others failed in the last leg. We need do all the perfect/correct things to do well here. Even if we could just ignite the motors after all these months that it self is proof of our ability and a great achivement. I have no doubt we will get a great insersion into Mars orbit.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

shiv wrote: More seriously - I wonder what temperature the Mars probe itself will be at. I presume that the shade side will be cold and sun side hot - so is it kept rotating or shaded from sun by a solar panel or what?
Someone more familiar with MOM can give more exact values, but essentially controlling temperature inside MOM is fairly (relatively) easy and technology is well understood... And the temperature is maintained as required... The requirements typically are ..

For batteries to work efficiently .. (typically between -5 and +20C°)
For propulsion subsystems, (typically between 5 to 40°C) For MOM, it may be that a wider range may be acceptable..
For generic electronics, (-20 and +70°C)

One has space heaters (if needed near equipment), thermostats, heat pumps (or simple radiators) to control (individual equipments - different parts have different temperature and can be insulated etc) but by adjusting the orientation etc the keeping the temperature inside the probe is not that difficult.
Last edited by Amber G. on 14 Sep 2014 23:09, edited 2 times in total.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

prasannasimha wrote:Wow it takes 13 hours to load - was thinking a few minutes !
13 hours to load *and verify*.

They perhaps conduct some sort of a dry run?
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

How do they "verify" what they have uploaded ? Some system self check ?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

We normally use dummy data, with stubs. Do not know what happens on a Sat. But give me some time and I will get an answer from Sat guys.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

There could be two issues here:
a) Latency: if the protocol they have requires the receiver to acknowledge successful reception of data before transmitter proceeds, the huge time lag can delay this to a great extent.

b) Bandwidth: In signal theory, there is this principle (i forgot the name) that the bandwidth is dependent upon the frequency of the carrier signal. For long range communications, lower frequency is used and hence less data can be sent in unit time.

Just guessing ...
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Well ................. verification of reception of data should be the responsibility of the transmission. If a packet is dropped, then it should be resent. And that mechanism is well understood.

Verification of the entire command set is what I think they are talking about. So, if the instructions (commands) say something like: do this, then that, then ............. How does one verify that? This, for MOMs, for Mars insertion has never been done before, outside of tests on earth. Uploads have been done before, but not an upload for insertion (this specific set of instructions). So, they have to verify that each instruction has been received and that it is actionable.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

OK, got an answer ........ but not the answer i was hoping for.

This relates to sats that orbit the earth (this team I work with deal with such sats!!!! sorry), which is why I am not satisfied with the answer.

They told me that when commands are uploaded, the sat sends back 'telemetry", part of which is whether the commands have been accepted. So, there is a non acceptance of commands too and the data streamed back to earth will contain thsi info - that a command was not accepted.

I was not able to get an immediate answer for the case of MOM like sats. Will have to ask that to a different group.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

shiv: On mars sun side is not that hot - it is quite cold but shade side (and in deep craters) it is really cold. So the temperature range is quite wide.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

So why is MAVEN so expensive than MANGALYAAN?
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

I hope when PM Modi meets POTUS, he carries a high def pic of one of the rovers taken from Mangalyaan, with a tag "Howdy Partner!!!'. Timing is just perfect...
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

SwamyG wrote:So why is MAVEN so expensive than MANGALYAAN?
http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-major- ... the-former

You might have to have a Quora Account...