Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army: News and Discussions 11 June 2014

Post by shiv »

Karan M wrote:tells us the state of affairs. that's colonel rtd ali ahmed in all likelihood, from IDSA/CLAWS who is writing on an indian event as if he is a foreigner.
i have never understood this. respective countries journalists/analysts write about their nations attempting to portray their nations events in such a manner that the "stranger" outside understands them or empathizes. our equivalents act as if they are western intermediaries trying to understand a third party issue. strange.
I posted the following comment yesterday. The last line was a Paki line

The article looked good until the last sentence which read "While both militaries apparently envisage few TNW mushroom clouds, they need to be forewarned that this will only be so if they mutually put in place de-escalatory measures."

Why this needless patronizing advice? If Pakistan actively threatens nukes what "de escalatory measures" can India take? Give up Kashmir? That line pretty much spoiled the article for me.
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

We don't threaten anyone with our men and material. We will use those based on the already declared policies. No body should have second thoughts.

We neither control nor care, what anyone is dreaming. It is their problem, think of words like "disproportionate" or "graduated escalation" or "non state actors".

Why the hell you mess with us in the first place, when you don't have the will power to face the consequences.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

BEML made Tatra trucks are coming back. The new Pinaka regiments shall be mouted on them.
To support forward movement of its infantry, armored and the mechanized forces in the battlefield and during combat, Indian Army would get two new regiments of the Pinaka Multi Barrel Rocket Launchers. The DAC cleared the purchase of the two regiments, a requirement of a total of 36 MBRLs at a cost of Rs.3,300 crore ($500 million).

The interesting twist to this nod is the beleaguered Tatra trucks would make a come back into the Indian armed forces' fleet of vehicles. The new Pinaka MBRLs would be based on the Tatra trucks. This is possibly the first purchase of Tatra trucks since the Narendra Modi government reversed a decision of the previous UPA government and allowed for purchase of the Tatra trucks directly from its original equipment manufacturers in Czech Republic, instead of routing it through the Indian public sector BEML.

The Tatra purchases through BEML had come under a cloud in 2012 after the then Indian Army chief General V.K.Singh (who is now a junior minister in the Modi government) had alleged that a former Army lieutenant general offered him a bribe to approve a fresh lot of Tatra trucks. Since then, BEML's affairs has been under government scrutiny, and Tatra purchase was put on hold by then Defense Minister A.K.Antony.
http://armingindia.com/How%20And%20Why% ... 0Deals.htm

It was only last year that BEML abandoned all ties with Vectra and renamed Tatra as BEML heavy duty truck.
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-dn ... ks-1961263
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

Apologies if this has been posted before. In this news report, here is the Western Army Commander giving a Jhujharji like Urdu couplet on the PA and speaking on the 1967 armed confrontation with China.

Pain-intha-West
Referring to the repeated military engagements of Pakistan with India, Lt Gen KJ Singh recited a couplet composed from Pakistan’s perspective, saying “saintaalees mein, painsath mein aur Kargil main pittey hum, ikathar mein aur Siachen mein luttey hum, kuch to hai Pakistan ki fitrat mein, ki talkhiyan aur jahalat hoti nahi kam” (In 1947, 1965 and in Kargil we were beaten, we lost in 1971 and in Siachen, yet there is something in the nature of Pakistan that bitterness and ignorance is not getting reduced).
Earlier, speaking about the positive effects of the 1965 war with Pakistan and on the Indian military preparedness Lt Gen KJ Singh said that it was genuinely a nation’s war in which even civilians came forth and took part wholeheartedly. He said, when Pakistan launched its best trained troops of Special Services Group (SSG) on raids in Halwara and Pathankot these ultimate elite troops of Pakistan were captured by the civilians in that area.
Regarding the 1967 China border incident. I have never heard nor read the actual numbers, but here Lt. Gen. Singh gives the figures.
The Army Commanders said that the Indian riposte in 1965 also enabled the Army to give a firm reply to the Chinese in 1967 when an confrontation took place between Indian and Chinese troops in Nathu la and Yak La. “Not only did we not give ground but we also created a situation where the Chinese had to bring trucks to take away their dead bodies. We lost 100 odd boys but they lost 400. After 1962 and 1965 in 1967 we managed to tell the Chinese that we are no pushover. Now it is a different paradigm,” he said.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Army gets Bharat Electronics' upgraded L70 guns.

The first two numbers of L70 upgraded guns, designed, developed and manufactured by defence PSU Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) for the Indian Army have been delivered to the latter.

BEL, which has delivered the upgraded guns within the stipulated nine months, says: "The L70 gun upgrade is a fusion of the latest technologies in the areas of electrical servo drives, electro optical fire control system and video tracking, which only a few global companies have mastered."

BEL had won the Rs 575-crore order in a global open tender issued by the Indian Army, subsequent to clearing all field trials.

"Right from the designing the upgrade to establishing a production line, the project was meticulously executed," BEL said.

Each building block of the gun upgrade — processor and interface boards, power amplifiers, stabilised pedestal, high precision mechanical subsystems, video tracker and fire control solutions — were designed in-house.

A cross functional team of engineers from all disciplines immensely contributed to the success of the project. BEL, with the support of Ordnance Factory Board, is all set to deliver 200 upgraded guns within the stipulated time of three years.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Sanju, Its called the 1967 Nathu La incident. It was a very fierce encounter and PLA suffered quite a bit.
They lost quite a few bunkers etc. So PLA casualties were ~400 dead. No counting in those days.

https://www.quora.com/How-did-India-win ... Indian-War
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

Col Ali Ahmed is a former classmate and friend. He has served in the RR and his father, MA Zaki was military advisor to the Governor of Kashmir. His uncle was the late Lt. Gen Jameel Mahmood.

Would suggest criticism be directed at content. Nobody has said anything out of line yet but I know how tempers can be frayed.

If it puts anything in perspective (and we have had many, many arguments between us over this) Ali believes that TNWs can be inadvertently used in a panic situation and unless the country is prepared to go all in for a war, de-escalating conflict is the way forward.

I disagree with this approach but it is his view.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

India Russia military exercise underway Ex. Indra2015

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/indra2015

More pics here:https://twitter.com/mod_russia/status/6 ... 7818816512
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

ramana wrote:Sanju, Its called the 1967 Nathu La incident. It was a very fierce encounter and PLA suffered quite a bit.
They lost quite a few bunkers etc. So PLA casualties were ~400 dead. No counting in those days.

https://www.quora.com/How-did-India-win ... Indian-War
Thanks Ramana ji. I was aware of the Nathu La incident, but have never seen the total Chinese killed being quoted anywhere else. That was an interesting read.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Army presses for firing range in Kashmir, to get one in Jammu
NEW DELHI: The army is pressing the Jammu and Kashmir government to provide land in Kashmir for a field firing range for the forces, even as the state government has moved a file to the Union defence ministry for renotifying the Kalith range in Jammu.

Officials told ET that while the forces need land in Kashmir and no alternatives in Jammu or Ladakh regions could serve the purpose, the state government has shown no interest in acceding to the demand.

The army had returned the Tosamaidan range in Kashmir to the state last year after expiry of the 50-year lease amid controversy over deaths of civilians due to unexploded shells, but on the condition that the government would suggest an alternate location for establishing a new firing range.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Ironic, but logical that TFTAness in Indian production values had to come via the motion-picture-ad-agency route - the people who have the greatest experience in audiovisual impact creation. Now if only our media's still photographers can pick up some hints..

Para commandos - "We don't exist"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBMdjaF ... e=youtu.be
[youtube]OBMdjaFx0O0&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

Nice find Shiv. They seem to be very Green Berets like now.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

They seem to have become the go-to SF as amply demonstrated by Myanmar operation.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

XIV Corps BMP-2

rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Got this from Facebook; an officer's wife describes her relationship with wife of Major Dhruv, who recently died due to an accident in the Pokhran FFR.

The Girl he left behind...

I remember the first time I met Surbhi. Dehradun, Jan 2013. This new couple had joined the battalion, and we met each other at an informal party. They were an extremely good looking couple to say the least! I also clearly remember the beautiful jacket that Surbhi was wearing, that was our conversation starter. On our very first meeting itself she promised she'd get me a similar jacket when she goes to Jaipur next. That's Surbhi - warm, friendly and absolutely selfless. There's, of course, a lot more to her character. To start with, she's tiny (yes short) and absolutely stunning, and always, (and I mean ALWAYS) so well turned out. Even in her pjs she'd look so smart and cute. Maj Dhruv was also this tall and handsome officer, a little too fair may be, which would go red after a few drinks (that we found out later). The two of them complimented each other perfectly!

On day 1, I knew Surbhi would be a great friend, but I had to wait. I couldn't possibly force my friendship on her. We kept meeting at the fauji formal dos, till one Feb evening, at a party I got really sick. Food poisoning of some sort and I had to be rushed to the hospital next morning. And guess who didn't leave my side all day till I got back home - it was Surbhi. That day I knew this friendship would last a lifetime.

And then started our adventures - the endless parties, the mindless giggles, the random coffee and shopping dates, the sleep overs, the movie nights, the social evenings where we danced till our feet hurt and a little more, the army ladies meets, the welfare meets, and a lot more embarrassing adventures which cannot be told here. We were making memories for a lifetime. Out of all the memories, we have our favourite ones too, and that was every time we went to Landour.

Once we went biking up there with our respective husbands. Maj Dhruv had this really really vintage bullet, he lovingly called 'Buddhi'. It had its vintage value no doubt, but taking it up there was really courageous of him, and Surbhi of course! I don't exactly remember how many times their bike stopped that day, and every time it did, Surbhi would spring down from the back seat, help Dhruv with the little push Buddhi needed and sprang back on the seat. It was like a drill the two of them were probably used to.
Landour was magical for all of us. And Surbhi especially loved that place. The free spirited soul that she is, every time I saw her there, it felt like she belonged there! We may have gone to Landour together a couple of times, but the two of them went over quite frequently.

And another thing about Surbhi and Dhruv - while the rest of us chose popular holiday destinations like Goa and Thailand, the two always chose to go to quaint little places. They picked beautiful charming hamlets and the quaintest of homestays for their holidays. And all they needed was each other and a couple of books.

Surbhi was always grounded. She was my rock. I was eccentric and immature. And she, unknowingly brought balance in my life. I always looked up to her, and learnt from her. She had a child in her as well - as playful and carefree as ever; but she was grounded. She knew how to hold things together, be it her home or relationships. If you ever went to her place, you'd know how perfect she was aesthetically. Everything so pretty and dainty, sitting perfectly where it should be. She had a collection of things from all over the country - cushion covers from Kashmir, blue pottery from Jaipur, linen from parts of Rajasthan and Delhi, and a lot many pretty things. Her home was as perfect as her!

Our parties always happened there. I remember Diwali 2013. What a crazy crazy night that was. We literally brought the house down. Their poor neighbours probably wanted to kill us that day. And the only person to blame for all the madness was the host himself, Maj Dhruv. He was the bartender for the evening and only he knows what he did with our drinks! But you know the best part - while the rest of us had a tough time dealing with our hangover the next morning, Surbhi and Dhruv's home was back to looking picture perfect!

Surbhi also had this thing about taking too much care of her friends. Any time I was sick, she'd make me the yummiest of khichdi and go out of her way to make me feel comfortable. She was like my mother away from home, and my best friend who always stood by my side. We had so many fun things to do and talk about, that we never really had any time for any kind of negativity, like the usual bitching thing and the likes. She was always so full of positivity - laughing, smiling and taking things easy.

I always thought Maj Dhruv had the perfect partner. She was understanding beyond words. They understood each other so well, and why wouldn't they? After all they've known each other ever since they've known the world. They were just meant to be together!
While I gave my husband a tough time about not spending much time with me and playing golf on Sunday mornings, I wondered how Surbhi would be so cool and sweet about Maj Dhruv doing the same! I had a lot to learn from her. And out of the zillion things I did, the most important thing was to never focus on the negative things in life.

And while we continued to make happy memories, I was also counting days till our posting out. It was Nov 18, 2013. Surbhi and Dhruv's second anniversary. Actually the night of 17th, we went over at midnight. Other friends joined in as well and we celebrated the two. While on our anniversary, most of us would like to get clicked together, I remember Surbhi sneakily clicking Maj Dhruv and his expressions. Even on their second anniversary she was like a 13 year old teenager, with a huge crush on a school senior, gushing relentlessly with butterflies fluttering around in her tummy! We finally managed to get the two of them together in one frame while Surbhi continued to blush.

I think that was the last of our parties at their place, apart from our farewell dinner which was rather short, sweet and emotional.
It was a pain for me to leave Doon and settle down in a new place. And while I struggled, I kept Surbhi well updated about my daily rants. She listened patently and always came up with a solution. And in case she couldn't, she'd just send me a virtual hug. In the army, changing stations is a regular affair and we all promise to keep in touch. But that rarely happens, apart from the occasional wishes and likes on Facebook. But with Surbhi, I talked regularly. 'Bambi' she'd call me lovingly. I thought it was cute. She was my best girl. She still is. In March 2014, she came all the way to Bombay from Doon, to meet me. We had a ball of a time painting the town red. We had also been making plans for a girls' Euro trip. Our plans got stronger and more pronounced. We knew it had to wait, but we were determined to make it happen.

Surbhi went back to Doon and spent the last few months of their Doon tenure happily strutting around with her Prince Charming, making those endless trips to Landour.

And then, in early 2015, she gave me the best news of her life. She was going to be a mother! Their happiness knew no bounds... Maj Dhruv and her always wanted to be parents, and this was it! With love, care and happiness they were counting down the days.

The child would be born in Nov, round about their fourth anniversary.

She was in her seventh month and we were getting super excited discussing the baby's name and planning a maternity shoot. She complained she was putting on too much weight and I always told her she was glowing and looking prettier than ever! And I was also secretly making plans to give her a surprise visit when the baby arrives.

Meanwhile she hadn't met Dhruv for about 3 months due to fauji commitments. And though she rarely ever complained, she once said she was missing him way too much now.

Maj Dhruv was in Jaisalmer with an unit exercise in the firing ranges of Pokhran. He was a fierce tankman, true to his arm, bashing on regardless.

It was 22nd of Sep 2015, just an ordinary day, when he was taking a break from the firing in the evening. He had recently joined Instagram as well, and was trying to get used to the app. He left a comment on a random photo of mine on Insta, saying how good my husband has always been, because he left his game of golf half way, just so that he'd come back home before I woke up on a Sunday morning. Maj Dhruv would never stop taking our case over that one stray incident. I was so embarrassed then, and I'm so embarrassed even now for that! And while I read his comment, I could totally imagine the wicked smile he must have had on his face when he wrote that.

His smile, people say, was infectious - sweet, naughty, wicked; you'd never know what he's thinking. And along with that smile of his, came "Saala"! He had a particular drawl when he said that. And for a person who rarely used fowl words, that was one slang that was always on the tip of his tongue. Never in a bad way though...always fondly. If he ever called you "Saala" you'd know he loves you. And he loved to tease people. It's crazy how he'd remember the minutest details and pull your leg later about it. He didn't even spare his darling wife. Surbhi was way too scared of lizards, and Dhruv got a plastic model home which he'd place on her hand every day and torture her! That was their love...Stupid, crazy and immortal. They meant the world to each other.

On the eve of 22nd Sep, he sent Surbhi a photo of him on the tank, looking as dashing as ever. And the cutest thing was the heart he made on the photo before he sent it to her. Surbhi had been teaching him how to use all these cute things.

That night Surbhi went to sleep peacefully in her room, kissing the photo he had sent her earlier that evening. They've been waiting eagerly for the time when this long distance ordeal would end and they'd be together. And meanwhile, that night, Maj Dhruv continued to fire the mighty tanks at the field firing exercise...till something happened. Something so bad that would change lives forever. A stray shrapnel came from nowhere and hit Maj Dhruv in the neck. A shrapnel in the neck! He left us.

We got the devastating news and didn't know how to react. It wasn't sinking in. We stayed awake the entire night wanting to call Surbhi, and then stopping myself with the only hope that somebody would just shake us up and tell us it's not true. It's not him!
I arrived in Delhi a day later, completely shaken. I had no idea how I would face Surbhi, and what i would say to her. I reached her place and met her mother, and other relatives. There was a huge crowd. I was in a trance, my eyes looking for her. I've been constantly telling myself that I wouldn't cry and that I have to give Surbhi all the strength in the world. And then I met her. She hugged me tight and said in my ears - "woh Chala Gaya"! I couldn't hold my tears any longer. We hugged and cried.

I saw all our Doon friends sitting in the room. We've been wanting to meet for a long time, but this wasn't the way it should've happened. Grim faces and teary eyes, there was silence in the room. Surbhi was strong and composed beyond imagination. She was having her weak moments and breaking down from time to time, but the strength she showed was exemplary. I noticed her tummy, she looked fully pregnant. Knowing how cute she is, I had longed to see her being all cutely pregnant. But now, I couldn't bear to see her! She remained brave, calm and composed - all for the little one.

Two days later, a memorial meet was being held for Maj Dhruv. Surbhi met everyone as gracefully as ever. The hall was filled beyond its capacity, just went on to show how much Maj Dhruv was loved. Friends and colleagues shared stories and anecdotes. We laughed. We cried. And then came Surbhi on the stage. She read out a poem in his memory, and finished it off with the battle cry of Maj Dhruv's unit. She had the same vigour and fierceness in her voice when she said it aloud. That was a proud moment for everyone sitting there. What a mighty brave girl she is!

Gradually everyone had to leave, including me and that is exactly what we didn't want. We didn't want to leave Surbhi alone in her misery. Her family was of course, by her side, but we wanted to be there as well.

I felt guilty coming back to my life. Even though I kept telling her that I'd be there for her, but was I actually there?! I kept asking myself. In our whatsapp conversations that followed, I couldn't dare to ask her how she was. Instead I asked how her health was. Thankfully she had been taking very good care of her health. We'd talk almost every 2 days, but it wasn't the same. I was scared to ask her anything. I was scared that I'd end up saying something wrong. I didn't know what to say exactly except for the fact that I just wanted to be there for her. There were days when she'd be brave and strong and talk about practical things. And then there were days when her despair would just come through in her words. She'd ask how she would do everything without him, all the things that they were meant to do together...and then she herself would say that she knows Dhruv is with her, watching over her and he'll be there for her forever.

One day she broke down completely. The day when an official letter arrived where she had to sign as the "widow" of "Late Major Dhruv". How could she do it? Dhruv may have left, but she knew he'd be there for her always.
Surbhi is heartbroken. But this brave woman has been picking up the broken pieces and fitting them back in her jigsaw puzzle. The other day she sent me a photo of the collage she has made for her room. It has all the photos of Maj Dhruv, that she must've sneakily taken on their anniversary. It made me cry. I didn't tell her that though.

I've been waiting to write something about Surbhi and Maj Dhruv since the incident. But I refrained. May be because it had a sad ending. But today I did. Because amidst all the sadness, the silver lining that Maj Dhruv had left behind, has finally arrived in this world. Their little prince arrived on 15th Nov, and he's the silver lining who'll bring back happiness in Surbhi's life. We all are waiting eagerly to see that vibrant smile back on her face.

It also happens to be their anniversary in two days. They'll turn 4!
(Meanwhile, it's a promise to myself and to her, that once the baby is a little older, we'll go back to Landour to relive all the happy memories. And also we'll try and make our Euro trip happen, only this time it won't be just girls anymore...our little Prince Charming will be a part of the group.)

Be the rock that you are my Darling girl Surbhi, and your Dhruv star will continue to shine on you!
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Colonel killed in gunfight with LeT militants in Kashmir

An army colonel of the elite Para Commando force was today killed and a policeman injured after coming under fire from militants in a forest area of Kashmir where the officer was leading a search party to flush out the hiding ultras.

Colonel Santosh Mahadik, 39, commanding officer of 41 Rashtriya Rifles, was critically injured during the operation in the Haji Naka forest area of Kupwara near the Line of Control with Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, officials said.

He was immediately evacuated to a hospital but he succumbed to injuries, the officials said.
Santosh, who hailed from Maharashtra and was commissioned in the army in 1998, was originally from the Special Forces. He had received Sena Medal for exhibiting gallantry and leadership in counter terrorist operations, Defence spokesman said.
:(
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

God damn Haphruda forests again

Fcking napalm the place
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

This is completely insane. The IA seriously needs to do something. Get tech, maintain picquets despite the terrain, something..
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

R.I.P. Col Mahadick. Col. Mahadick was a coursemate.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

RIP Colonel Santosh Mahadik
member_28990
BRFite

Post by member_28990 »

While the brown nosing Aiyars and khurshids give full freedom of expression to their inner mir jafars, brave sons and daughters of India are ensuring that we remain protected from the darkness across our borders. Having seen the kindness of the army first hand during our trip to Ladakh, all I can do is silently salute these bravehearts. Question is who will protect us from the enemy within... Thoughts go out to Colonel Santosh Mahadik's family.
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

May Mother India be blessed with more sons like Colonel Santosh Mahadik. I pray God grants strength to the family left behind to bear with this irreparable loss.
I do hope better methodology and technologies are developed and deployed to prevent loss of life of our dedicated soldiers.
The safe havens of the enemy must be made to pay heavily in every manner to force it to desist from such acts.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Dedicated sons of our motherland are getting killed day after day. Can't we do something to stop the deaths? Better medical facilities personal protection gears, better tactics, gizmos etc ?

We need to take a really hard look into this.
member_29172
BRFite

Post by member_29172 »

Loyal Indians die as soldiers while traitors ask pakis to assassinate the PM... the gift of sickular India. Ordinary Indians work hard and die while the traitorous intellectual ******** live and $hit on the people. But hey, atleast they were supported by gandhiji, have posh degrees in anthropology, indology and bootlickery from some hi-fi western university, can speak hi-fi yinglish, are cowards but like to hide behind sickularism and piss while ordinary Indians are killed by blowing mullas from pukistan

And then these very same gandhian ministers proudly release books about how it was Hindus who did terrorist attacks with full support of the innocent minority

Jai Jawan my heartiest thanks to those who sacrifice themselves for our civilization. For those who still care. I don't know what to say, waving candle light has become more important than shooting pigs who actively preach hatred against India. Heck, petitions are being written to release terrorists by these sickular cabal.
That's how much Indian lives are worth to these sickular worms... I don't believe in prayers and blessings and curses but I really really hope these sickulars will rot till the day they die, their kids would suffer like our soldiers do at borders, these vodka chugging ch00tiyas that suck everyone's blood dry...

Anyways, Jai Jawan, Jai Hind....
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

RoyG wrote:Nice find Shiv. They seem to be very Green Berets like now.
Sorry, anecdotal but the average Para SF I have seen is way fitter than the average Green Beret I have seen.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

What does this even mean?

Para Commandos or Para (SF) as they're called, have always been the Green Beret equivalent of IA...sure, the gear and all might have gone up, and now we've more visuals that even five years earlier, but in terms of roles and responsibilities, they are the numero uno of the IA.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

rohitvats wrote:
What does this even mean?

Para Commandos or Para (SF) as they're called, have always been the Green Beret equivalent of IA...sure, the gear and all might have gone up, and now we've more visuals that even five years earlier, but in terms of roles and responsibilities, they are the numero uno of the IA.
Well, I don't know about an average Green Beret, but one look at the deceased officer tells you everything about the physical fitness level. And mind you, he was 38 years old. A young and fit CO who could go toe-to-toe with his much younger troops. Most of whom came from rural background and can give a good runner a literal run for his/her money.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Surya wrote:God damn Haphruda forests again

Fcking napalm the place
+1001.

This is the same place we lost Major Sudhir Kumar Walia and others. :evil: :evil: :(
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^And Captain Arun Jasrotia, again 9 Para SF. Both from my part of the woods.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

....and Captain Subramanian and Major Mohit Sharma and Naik Kheem Singh....the list is too long and too painful. Also a bunch of SG guys.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Rahul M wrote: we cant wait around for the day when society improves for army to get rid of the sahayak system. it needs to go today and it couldn't be sooner.

also army should not hire civilian personal staff under any circumstance. officers can surely arrange for that out of their own pocket, like rest of Indians do.

the only place where a sahayak/batman still makes sense is on the frontline. forcing an officer to do every single personal chore himself would eat into time that could be put to better use. neither can he hire somebody on the LoC to do those chores.
Sahayak system is just a Raj era relic no other Army requires it , the British themselves today don't have it so why should IA need it ? See it is like this if you have been spoilt with tennis ball boys, being chauffeur driven and your kids being entertained by someone always at your disposal you would not want to let go of such a luxury . IA obviously has a nice strawman called tradition to deflect any criticism and call for reform . The IN and IAF do not have them , hell in the IN you don't even have full time soldiers designated as full time drivers all housekeeping staff is mostly outsourced just like any other developed country's Navy .
member_20453
BRFite

Post by member_20453 »

RIP Col. :( May you walk with Angels of War in heaven teaching them a thing or two of what is to be an Elite IA Officer.

High time, IA improves protective kit, we still see front line units going into battle with hardly any protection. Often SF folk too don't carry any BJPs. There needs to be stricter adherence to protocol.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Raja Bose wrote:
Sorry, anecdotal but the average Para SF I have seen is way fitter than the average Green Beret I have seen.
Yup, wanted to the same thing. Anyways in our case Para means Maroon Beret.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

This is kaliyuga indeed all good people seem to be dying prematurely while strange as it may seem the most corrupt and evil doers are thriving and living long luxurious lives.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Just curious which batch is Col Mahadik from ?
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

negi wrote:Just curious which batch is Col Mahadik from ?
93 NDA which makes him (I am not sure) 103 Regular(IMA). He is ex Sanik School Satara.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 820390.cms
Col Mahadik, who became an "accomplished paratrooper and combat underwater diver" after being commissioned into the Army in December 1998, is the second CO to die in a terrorist encounter this year.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

RIP Col. Today's also the day of Battle at Rezang La during 62 war. It was the last stand of the Kumaon Regiment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rezang_La#1962_battle
Nick_S
BRFite

Post by Nick_S »

jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

From Facebook profile of Ata Hasnain

I have been monitoring messages on Facebook and Twitter regarding the martyrdom of Late Colonel Santosh Mahadik, SM (God bless his noble and brave soul) and placing my regrets and condolences. I wish to start the same with this thread by expressing my condolences to the family. However, I am pained by many comments on the unnecessity of a Commanding Officer to be in frontlines and with troops; another comment states that the Indian Army does not have control of J&K in last 30 years; and yet another says - "don't young officers have it in them to avoid having to send out Commanding Officers to take charge".
These comments smack of complete ignorance of the situation, the type of operations, the constraints of specific terrain and where we are in terms of the J&K proxy war. Despite pressing demands on my time by media houses for articles on Post Paris situation I am sitting down to explain as this is my prime duty, not writing on Paris and aftermath. Namak Indian Army ka khaya hai.
WHAT STAGE OF CONFLICT ARE WE
From a professional angle, on the military front we are nearing Conflict Transformation while on the socio-political front we are at early stages of Conflict Stabilization. I will restrict my comments to the military front only.
With just about 200 terrorists in the Valley and a successful counter infiltration year behind it the Army will make efforts to further control infiltration (very essential aspect) and equally conduct CT operations to reduce the strength further in the hinterland. This will inevitably result in casualties because troops in large numbers in search mode are always more vulnerable. Ratios of own casualties against terrorists killed will rise as strength reduces. This is an inevitable phenomenon which professional must understand and work upon.
COUNTER INFLITRATIONS OPS IN SECOND TIER
This is most difficult. Our experience shows that the LoC fence is not something impenetrable. It has been a successful instrument in focusing our CI efforts but leakages have been inevitable, especially in the Shamshabari area North and West of Kupwara. This force the second tier to respond. The terrain here is even more difficult than the higher areas of the Shamshabari. Many rocky outcrops and caves, terribly thich undergrowth. Once infiltrated groups reach and hole up here searching for them becomes inevitable. That is when the troops are most vulnerable, especially in the first contact. Terrorists will be killed, have no doubts but the first bursts will come from them and casualties will be ours. Some people have suggested why we are not employing UAVs and helicopter surveillance. My answer -- easier said than done. This is not desert and penetration through vegetation and rocky outcrops is negligible. However, not to say that efforts are not made; they are but quite unsuccessfully.
The one acme of success is patience but with that increase chances of the terrorists melting away. In the hurry to seize initiative multiple search parties comb suspected areas and lay stops to prevent access to villages. It is very manpower intensive and that cannot be helped; hope that answers one gentleman's question on why so much manpower is employed.
COMMANDING OFFICER'S PRESENCE NOT WARRANTED
I will ask even military professionals what the golden rule is. The answer is -- if two companies are in operations the CO will be present. Even if less the CO's presence may be necessary to assess reinforcements and widening area of operations. Unless he is upfront he will never realize the needs of the situation. Besides with young company commanders COs inevitably feel the necessity of being near them.
There are NO fronts and rears here. The CO may be moving from one area of search by a company to another and could well hit upon the terrorists in the middle with his CO's party (best trained troops). The rule of all CT ops in the hinterland has always been that once a contact is established the CO's party and the Contingency Vehicle reaches the spot and he takes charge but only in as far as directing the operations. He will not enter uncleared houses but he remains vulnerable because he is moving and assessing all the time.
Please do not comment adversely on an aspect which people are not experienced on. If you have been on the ground and had a couple of bursts going overhead please do so.
Casualties will occur. We need not be apologetic about them and the last thing required is to issue advisories to COs. They come up through 15-17 years of grind and need no such advice.