Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army: News and Discussions 11 June 2014

Post by pankajs »

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-de ... es-2052862
Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar not to pursue pending disability pension cases
Going against the advice of his own babus, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has decided not to pursue nearly 4,000 disability pension cases pending against his ministry in courts, a move which will benefit thousands of soldiers waging a long legal battle.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

just for that he will earn good karma

and curses on the babus who kept filing those cases
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

good on him.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 902418.cms
PM Narendra Modi gives awards to 8 army officers for innovation
NEW DELHI: With an aim of encouraging innovation, Prime Minister Narendra Modi today presented Certificates of Excellence to eight young Army officers for doing innovative work in the areas like reconnaissance and better facilities for soldiers in combat conditions.
This is the first time that such efforts on the part of Army officers have been recognised at this highest level.
Modi has observed that occasions like the Annual Day of the three Services (Air Force Day, Army Day and Navy Day) should be occasions not merely to celebrate the service of our Armed Forces in the defence and security of our nation, but also to organise events to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Armed Forces.

Such events could include recognition of members of the Services who have made innovative contributions in areas like defence management, estate management, environment, finance and expenditure, design of defence equipment, papers on defence strategies etc, he has said.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

BAE Offers Modi Made-in-India Guns for China Strike Force
BAE Systems Plc (BA/), Europe’s largest defense company, has given India the option of making howitzers locally to help conclude a deal that would equip an army strike force patrolling the Chinese border with the weapons.

Talks are under way with India’s Defense Ministry to finalize the proposal for local assembly and testing of M777 artillery, according to John Kelly, a vice president at U.S. unit BAE Systems Land & Armaments Inc. While the army is seeking to buy 145 howitzers for the planned mountain strike corps, Kelly said it may require as many as 450.

“If the quantity is higher, then we have more opportunity for indigenisation and that’s what we are working through at the moment,” he said in an interview in New Delhi two days ago. “What we see is to bring the crown jewel of the manufacturing process into India. It’s very much in response to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ‘Make in India’ push.”

Modi is trying to stoke arms production to curb overseas purchases by the world’s biggest importer of major conventional weapons. He raised the cap on foreign-direct investment in defense to 49 percent from 26 percent two months after taking power in May. Kelly said BAE Systems for now aims to transfer technology to a local partner rather than opt for a joint venture.

“The good news is conditions have improved -- we’re up to 49 percent,” he said, referring to the investment restriction. “I don’t know yet if it will go beyond 49 percent, but we would certainly like it to.”

Joint Ventures

Concern lingers that preventing foreign companies from having controlling stakes may dim the allure of joint ventures. At the same time, India has cleared about $20 billion of arms procurement proposals since Modi’s election. That’s about double its spending on weapons in the last fiscal year.

An initial offer by BAE Systems to sell the 145 guns to India for $697 million stalled in October 2013. Kelly said the price now could be about 6 percent to 8 percent higher. The London-based company is also interested in India’s Futuristic Infantry Combat Vehicles project, he said.

U.S., Canadian and Australian orders for M777s total more than 1,000, and the weapon is designed to be highly mobile on land and sea and in the air, according to BAE System’s website.

Modi has prioritized military modernization amid border disputes with China and Pakistan and rising Chinese naval power.

He faced defense spending near a 50-year low as a percentage of the economy when he swept to power, partly because of a history of graft scandals that slowed purchases. Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar, appointed in November, has pledged quick and transparent decision-making.

The administration introduced the “Make in India” drive in September to lure investment and revive economic growth, with the aim of boosting manufacturing’s share of India’s $1.9 trillion gross domestic product to 25 percent from about 15 percent currently.

“The Modi government has taken on a very, very ambitious agenda,” Kelly said. “Actions are taken quicker, decisions are made quicker. We’re prepared to lean forward, we’re prepared to invest.”

To contact the reporter on this story: N.C Bipindra in New Delhi at nbipindra@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Arijit Ghosh at aghosh@bloomberg.net Sunil Jagtiani, Sam Nagarajan
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Very interesting, as soon as good news about ATAGS comes everyone and their mother wants to help us out in the manufacture of arty guns
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

NRao wrote:BAE Offers Modi Made-in-India Guns for China Strike Force

[>>quote]He faced defense spending near a 50-year low as a percentage of the economy when he swept to power, partly because of a history of graft scandals that slowed purchases. Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar, appointed in November, has pledged quick and transparent decision-making.[<</quote]
Thank you Antony/Munna/Manio ... but for your contributions India would never have been as vulnerable as it is today. For this wonlee the trio should be awarded the nob@ll p!ss prize.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

suryag wrote:Very interesting, as soon as good news about ATAGS comes everyone and their mother wants to help us out in the manufacture of arty guns
Errr....slight correction. M777 is not in the ATAGS category.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Finally a DM with good sense.

Now lets wait for the One rank one pension to be executed.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

RV but the M 777, will have a direct contender from the Bharat Forge light weight piece.

We have waited for so long. We can wait another few years for the conclusion of the project.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Pratyush wrote:RV but the M 777, will have a direct contender from the Bharat Forge light weight piece.We have waited for so long. We can wait another few years for the conclusion of the project.
Tiger Singh - I'm not batting for M777, just clearing some confusion. We at least need to put up correct question for relevant answers to follows. Like how you mentioned IA working with BF on 105mm light gun.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

I am not saying that the IA is working with BF for the light weight 155. Nor I am saying that you are batting for the M 777. If it came out that way. It was unintended.

All I am saying that BF is having a project for the development of the gun. The development of it should see completion before a final decision is made.

Because far too often when an Indian product is in development. Some or the other foreign entity comes up with the offer for an equivalent product. Effectively killing the domestic product development with screw driver assembly. With nothing gained by us in terms of the IPR.

Which is what the main thrust of my previous post was.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

OROP will take time its expensive.
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

Is there any update on which vehicle won the Light vehicle contract?. I have seen the Tata LSV images in a couple of documents (the DRDO e-book included) which show it being used with other test equipment. However haven't seen the Axe, OFB, AL vehicles likewise.
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

Karan,

What type of AD Radar in picture....

Loads of new inductions for the Signals Corps in recent years.

Looks like a Radio/Satellite Broadband Terminal for the Brigade Commanders Rover.

Possibly a larger variant of the same for a Command Caravan of the sorts.

NM presents awards to Army personnel for innovation during the 'At Home' function in Army House.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

The trucks in the picture appear to be Tatra.
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

^^ for Pictures

1st one is 3D-CAR for Air Defense

2nd is Rapid Deployment Satellite Terminal (secure D+V)

3rd is again Satellite terminal for Secure Data+Voice comm (guess at Div level)
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

KrishnaK
BRFite

Post by KrishnaK »

Pratyush wrote:I am not saying that the IA is working with BF for the light weight 155. Nor I am saying that you are batting for the M 777. If it came out that way. It was unintended.

All I am saying that BF is having a project for the development of the gun. The development of it should see completion before a final decision is made.

Because far too often when an Indian product is in development. Some or the other foreign entity comes up with the offer for an equivalent product. Effectively killing the domestic product development with screw driver assembly. With nothing gained by us in terms of the IPR.

Bharat Forge isn't developing the gun itself either. The technology is from an american company ? BAe's M777 will only increase competition if they plan on transferring the technology to an indian production partner as they claim. It would be good to have two entities capable of catering to our artillery needs.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

BAE's production line for M777 is about to close anyway. Without our orders they are done. Same case with BAE Hawk.

Hence instead of simply moving M777 assembly lines here (while keeping the critical and spare parts factories alive in UK), they should be asked to co-develop next generation M777 with an Indian partner.

Why India has to be Rescue Ranger for any weapon manufacturer? If they are about to close, deal should be in our favor.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Pratyush wrote:I am not saying that the IA is working with BF for the light weight 155. Nor I am saying that you are batting for the M 777. If it came out that way. It was unintended.

I agree with every word written above.

But the fact is that we don't have any product under development in M777 category. There was news from chaiwala sources shared on BRF that EME chaps from IA are working with BF on a 105mm gun. And BF in turn has tied up with an American firm which has a 105mm gun which is very light and mounted on a 4x4 vehicle.

So, the question is in terms of cost-benefit analysis of having 105mm versus 155mm gun considering the cost factor per gun for M777. The core of M777 technology is use of titanium for reducing the weight. Unless, we gain this technology which can help us in ATAGS project (where titanium is supposed to be used to manage weight), it is not worth it.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

RV, I feel that we are talking about 2 different subjects. My post about the BF light weight 155MM was based on my recollection of drawings presented by that company during the last defense expo. I wanted to see it reach completion. Before a decision was made on light weight 155MM.

I have not really understood the ATAGS project. Nor do I feel that I have the competence to do so. As I am unable to understand the need to have so many different types of 155 MM guns in the IA. Along with different requirements of spare parts.

Regarding the light weight 105, on 4X4. I was under the impression that the IA FARP, of the late 90s, only specified the 155 as the desired caliber and that they intended to use that caliber to replace every other gun in the IA service.

At the time of posting this I am ignorant of the IAs desire to move away from that and accept a new light weight 105, that is being offered.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

vaibhav.n wrote:Karan,

What type of AD Radar in picture....
LRDE-BEL's 3D-TCR
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Vaibhav, Thakur nailed it.

This is a high mobility (compact) version of LRDE's 3D CAR packaged for the IA in a single vehicle (radar + operator stations) versus the 3D CAR for Akash which comes in 2 vehicles (radar and operator). Both require another vehicle with generators. Range is reduced thanks to the compact packaging, 150km for 3D CAR in Track While Scan mode against small targets vs 90 km for TCR.
From memory some 30-40 units have been ordered by AAD from BEL.

http://www.bel-india.com/3D-TCR
3D TCR: 3D Tactical Control Radar is a Tatra VVL mounted, mobile stand-alone medium range, all weather 3D surveillance Radar for detection and identification of aerial targets. Pertinent data can be collected at Target Data Receiver (TDR), 20 kms away from the Radar. The radar operates in S-band and is capable of Track-While-Scan (TWS) of airborne targets up to 90 km for fighter aircrafts and 65 km for UAVs, subject to radar horizon. The antenna is mechanically rotated in azimuth to provide 360 degree and 50 degree elevation coverage up to 10 km height.
I think the LRDE MMSR (Multi Mission Surveillance radar) will be the replacement for the 3D TCR as a next gen version (different tech though, derived from the Aslesha series). Aslesha is a semiactive S Band radar with a very small footprint (low power antenna with good performance) so should allow for a very tight package. Its being developed for the IA as well. And it should be Multi Mission, ie WLR+AD radar in one.

From the image it looks like the entire radar is packaged in one vehicle. Radar itself, plus generators and commander work station.
Last edited by Karan M on 17 Jan 2015 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
member_28911
BRFite

Post by member_28911 »

^ Naval version of 3D-CAR is installed in Kamorta class corvette of Indian Navy (..right?).
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Yes

(Pic is of trial test bed)
http://www.bel-india.com/3D-Surveillanc ... Revathi%29

IIRC key differences are much better stabilization for both roll & pitch (L&T partner), upgraded software for look down into sea clutter + ability to detect low RCS sea skimming missiles against sea clutter.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Sorry for being dense. But what are applications of this radar system ?
Will it be used with mobile SAMs like Akash ?
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Its mentioned as a surveillance radar. So the eyes of the AAD.

Its used by AAD to provide advance warning to their AD troops which are armed with guns like ZSU-23s and Schilkas, gun/missiles like Tunguska etc.
Probably not going to be used for Akash since its more likely the more powerful 3D CAR will be used.

Earlier TCR (though it can control weapons as well, and was IIRC upgraded so wont be replaced) had a range of 40 km. So its 100% increase.
http://www.bel-india.com/Reporter%28TCR%29

The 3D TCR (DRDO-BEL) will provide early warning, feed into Army AD C3I (when developed) and then go to zones with above TCR plus specific gun/radar emplacements eg Flycatcher radars with Bofors 40mm L70 guns or emplacements with ZSU-23s or mobile formations with Schilkas and Tunguskas (both with own short range radar).
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

Ohh...So they aren't going to replace Reporters? Like they did with Cymbeline and Swathi WLR's.

Weren't the Reporters 2D radars? Did not know these act as Fire Control Radars also.

Very compact package indeed, LRDE's quiet work continues....
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Well, some of the Reporters might remain in service until we a)get all the 3D TCRs in service b ) we get enough radars. From what I understand till quantum of items pick up, earlier kit may well continue until spares etc become an issue.

Reporters are indeed 2D, at best they can provide cueing to our weapons but not really control them (name apart). They probably feed initial data (range, bearing) to the Flycatchers which then handle actual weapons control.

Army is also receiving these 2D radars now from LRDE called Bharani. Some 46 as memory serves. These are manportable and probably going to be deployed as gapfillers in the mountains.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/media/421 ... -radar.jpg

Its 3D version picked up by IAF is this, the Aslesha: http://salute.co.in/wp-content/uploads/ ... ct_sys.jpg

Both for similar applications.http://salute.co.in/detection-systems/

Re: LRDE, it will be interesting to see their next Gen radars get into production. Those should give us more options and squeeze out imports and restrict them to niche areas. There is MMSR above, an AESA version of 3D CAR coming out called LLTR (Low Level Transp. Rdr) and a new Medium Power Radar (AESA for 300km range apps). Latest ebook notes that MPR proto has already been in trials. MMSR appears to be in advanced development and we should have a proto this year.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

LRDE is pretty open about its tactical programs (as versus BMD stuff). My comments in brackets.
Design and Development of Radar Systems

Army

Multifunction Phased Array Radar and 3D Surveillance Radar for Akash Missile Weapon
System (done, in production)
Low Level Light weight 2D Radar for mountainous terrain Air Defence (done, in production)
3D -Tactical Control Radar for Air Defence (done, in production)
Short Range Battle Field Surveillance Radar (done, in production)
Weapon Locating Radar (done, in production)
Multi Mission Radar (MMSR) (in development)
FOPEN Radar (in development; seeking tieup with US; evaluated SAABs radar)
Through wall detection Radar (in development; protos developed per reports)
Ground Penetration Radar (ditto)

Air Force

Multifunction Phased Array Radar and 3D Surveillance Radar for Akash Missile Weapon System (Done, in production)
Active Phased Array Radar for AEW&C (done, flying, A2A modes completed, A2Sea in tests)
Low level 2D Air Defence Radar (Done, in production)
3D Low Level Light Weight Radar (done, in production)
3D Medium Range Surveillance Radar for Air Defence (Done, in production)
4D Active Array Medium Power radar for AD role (trialed by IAF in 2014, 8 on order)
Airborne Electronically Scanned Array Radar for Tejas Mark II (in development)
Ground Controlled interception (done)
SAR for UAVs (in development; protos have shown 40 km range and met expectations, usual refinements etc will be done)

Navy

Maritime Patrol Radar for fixed and Rotary Wing Aircraft (done; TD)
Maritime Patrol Radar with RS and ISAR (done; follow on to above; orders awaited)
3D Medium Range Surveillance Radar for ASW Corvettes (done, in production)
Multifunction Phased Array Radar for Air Defence Ship (in development; is probably a navalized version of the IAF MPR)
Maritime Patrol Airborne Radar for UAV (in development; will replace our reliance on the EL/M-2022 family)
Coastal Surveillance Radar (CSR) (in development)
MMSR is likely to be functionality wise, similar to this. One common design for AAD/Arty etc
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-A-pILTmZe3c/T ... +MMR-2.jpg

From latest updates
Primary Radar for Airborne Early Warning and Control System
Primary radar for airborne early warning and control system has been integrated with mission
system computer and tested on roof-top test set-up. The radar performance has been evaluated using
this roof-top set-up with multiple opportune and dedicated sorties, and found to meet the specifiations
such as range azimuth coverage, accuracies, resolution, etc.The hardware and software of the system
have been qualifid and the system has been certifid to fl on aircraft. The qualifid radar system has
been installed and integrated on aircraft. Radar testing on the aircraft has commenced and opportune
targets were tracked.

Synthetic Aperture Radar for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) is integrated and tested at radar test platform deployed with SOFT
qualifid hardware.Opportune targets were detected and tracked up to 40 km range in GMTITWS
mode. SAR concept has been successfully proven using Rail SAR methodology using corner reflctors
as targets. Design and fabrication of lightweight version of antenna, digital unitand antenna stabilisation
unit have been completed for UAV.

Medium Power Radar Arudhra
Prototype of medium power radar, Arudhra, has been developed and demonstrated to the User,
i.e., IAF at Kasauli. Antenna pressurisation system, pedestal assembly and power system of the main
radar have qualifid EMI/EMC tests.

Active Electronically Scanned Array Radar Uttam
DRDO has taken up the development of flght control radar for fihter aircraft with 100 km range
and multimode operation. Realisation and calibration of prototype Active Aperture Array Antenna Unit
(AAAU) has been completed with indigenous TR modules. Airworthy radar processor and exciterreceiver have been realised and tested on a high rise platform in Mechanical Scanned Array (MSA)
confiuration for validation of various algorithms and waveforms of the fie control radar. Software
development for air-air sub-modes has been carried out.
http://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/labs/LRDE/E ... asWork.jsp

Now both Ashwini and Arudhra protos have been developed and are in trials. The 3D CAR/Rajendra advantage is we have experience and algorithms etc to leverage.
Arudhra
http://356007295890291112.weebly.com/up ... 1_orig.jpg
http://356007295890291112.weebly.com/up ... 0_orig.jpg
Ashwini
http://i.imgur.com/nwf5GI7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/p3Ly3a7.jpg

AEW&CS is also fairly advanced now, IAF folks are in training to receive it.

http://www.millenniumpost.in/NewsContent.aspx?NID=70424
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is ready to deliver the Brazilian Embraer aircraft-based, indigenously built Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) to the Indian Air Force as soon as it is ready to receive it. At the moment, the IAF is training its personnel who can operate the systems of the aircraft, at Bangalore-based Centre for Airborne Systems (CABS). The process should be over by February of next year.

Dr K Tamilmani, the director general of aeronautical systems and Dr S Christopher, programme director (AEW&C) and director, CABS said on Thursday that the laboratory has developed an indigenous Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar that has been fitted on the aircraft and is actually functioning for almost a year. The air-to-air function of the radar has been tested and certified, while air-to-sea functions are being tested.

Christopher stated that the ‘technical readiness level’ of the AEW&C is of the order of eight on a scale of ten. In a crowded environment, the aircraft system can ‘correlate, identify, classify and threat response of 500 airborne targets can be tracked, out of which 16 enemy targets can be simultaneously designated.’
Follow on program are Phalcon class ++ AWACS called Project India.

More stuff we develop locally more options open up for services to ask for specialized variants and deploy them as they see fit. Eg SAR package. Whats to stop us from putting it on helicopters or transports etc.

MPR - translates to higher power radars available for AAD if they so choose. Navalized variants of the above two will follow.

Interesting to see the only segment left for imports are HPR (High Power Radars) like the THD-1955/Aerostat radars (450km+ segment) where LRDE ostensibly does not have a program, but reality is the LRTR is developed for the BMD program (600 km for 0.1 Sq Mtr!) and LRDE is likely working/finessing the Mk2 version for even longer range (double per reports) and which is why they dont have a direct declared program for the segment for IAF. Once that is done, fully expect that a variant can and will be developed for the HPR segment as well.

In the past decade, we have literally halved our imports in ground radars. Naval radars and airborne radars were completely import dependent and now we have breakthroughs there as well.
In the coming years we will steadily restrict imports to specific niche areas.

The Uttam (LCA FCR) program is perhaps our greatest requirement today. In FCRs, if we get a decent performing local alternative, then the need for imports will drastically reduce as variants can be developed for multiple platforms.

That means X-Band radars for choppers etc for IA to deploy as well.
jagga
BRFite

Post by jagga »

My Apologies if this is not the correct dhaga to post this video.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

http://www.millenniumpost.in/NewsContent.aspx?NID=92442

Sensational news headline and actual negligence aside, it seems the reporters englees went for a toss. Ammo worth 2k crores kept in storage, which was unfit as versus ammo itself definitely being waste..
Anyways UPA zindabad.

Artillery worth Rs 2,000 cr kept in storage found unfit

18 January 2015, New Delhi, Sujit Nath
Missiles and explosives worth more than Rs 2,000 crores (approx) were kept in those storages, which did not adhere to the Space Test and Engineering Contract’s (STEC) guidelines under the Ministry of Defence (MoD).
In a classic case of ignorance, missiles and explosives worth more than Rs 2,000 crores (approx) were kept in those storages, which did not adhere to the Space Test and Engineering Contract’s (STEC) guidelines under the Ministry of Defence (MoD).

The startling revelation came during a CAG audit and ‘shook’ the NDA government with the fact that how the previous government took India’s defence as a ‘joke’. At a time when neighboring countries are flexing muscles by violating ceasefire or by building state of the art facilities in the bordering areas, such ‘disclosures’ came as a rude shock for the Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi.

Sources said, Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar was asked by the PM to take immediate action for a proper storage of these armaments. He was also asked to submit a detailed report on why Equipment Deports (ED) were not made as per STEC guidelines and asked to verify the environment clauses, while building such storages.

It was learnt that out of eight EDs, the national auditor has selected only four sheds (one at each depot located in the southern and central part of India) and found that they belong to the era of pre 1954 vintage. Shockingly, missiles and explosives were found to be kept in those storages, which had developed multiple cracks on walls, pillars, roof, floor and platforms.

As per experts, missiles, explosives and other armaments require proper controlled climatic conditions but none of the four sheds found to be fit for such expensive storage. “There should be a percentage of moisture, humidity, cooling etc while keeping such delegate missiles. If it was not followed then the precision and impact of such armaments will be affected. Also, this could lead to a huge loss to nation’s money,” government sources said.

MoD has a huge inventory of sophisticated equipment and weapons which include aircraft, helicopters, missiles, explosives stores. With the induction of advanced aircrafts, more sophisticated air armament stores including rockets, bombs, missiles, etc. are required to be stored in high quality, dust free and a temperature controlled environment.

Not the least, it was also found that in some of the EDs fire fighting facilities were made without following STEC guidelines and in some areas the ED is located in densely populated areas, which again is a gross violation of government rules.

“The MoD has accepted some lapses in terms of storage and they are working on it. There are some environment and land issues, which we are hopeful to solve soon,” government sources said.
Hopefully the ammo was still in packaging and not all would be damaged.

Looks like the IA and GOI learned no lessons from the 125mm FSAPDS debacle when rounds were stored in the open, in heat, and propellant leaked. What a farce.
Rajput
BRFite -Trainee

Word of caution: telephone scam

Post by Rajput »

Don't know where to post this, but felt that I had to, to warn other retired Army officers.

My grandpa got a call a couple of days ago. The caller said that the Army had taken out insurance in his name (AGI scheme) when he was in service, and it was maturing; would he like to process the paperwork to collect it? He claimed it was about Rs 180K. He had many details about grandpa's service, so grandpa believed him. Then the caller said you'll have to put up around 10% as "earnest money" (or some such thing), and the money put up would be returned to him along with the original 180K. This made him a little suspicious (God bless him for his alertness even at this age), and he played along. Soon it became apparent that it was a scam. I'm glad he didn't fall for it.

So, word of caution: please pass this warning on to retired folks you know. Somehow these scammers have managed to get detailed personal information, and can sound believable.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/news ... wsid=21608
so between strome and scorpio, IA will choose duster? just kidding.
brvarsh
BRFite

Post by brvarsh »

My heart bleeds to see stupid terrorists roaming around in gun mounted Toyotas and we are still driving old Suzuki Gypsys. Ugghr sarca-zm!
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

SaiK wrote:http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/news ... wsid=21608
so between strome and scorpio, IA will choose duster? just kidding.
Its for general purpose staff vehicle.
brvarsh wrote:My heart bleeds to see stupid terrorists roaming around in gun mounted Toyotas and we are still driving old Suzuki Gypsys. Ugghr sarca-zm!
Patience, my friend. Gypsy's replacement would be threefold

1. General purpose staff vehicle, as pointed above.

2. Light Specialist Vehicle. The competitors are
- Tata LSV already being exported to friendly countries and used by various DRDO labs to mount systems. Indigenous design, high probability of winning.

- Mahindra's Axe which is also used by Israeli special forces

- Ashok Leyland-Panhard's Colt used by French forces as PVP/VPS

- OFB's licensed Flyer, a very solid design also licensed by General Dynamics for US Special forces. It looks odd because of rear mounted engine. People will scoff at it because it will be made by OFB, but it is the most successful design of the lot chosen by a lot of countries.

- Land Rover
- Vectra's rehash of 1000 year old GM truck.

3. Light Armoured multipurpose vehicle: already a prototype by Tata designed with Supacat of UK.
Last edited by Thakur_B on 24 Jan 2015 10:09, edited 2 times in total.