Aerospace materials for Dhruv, Rudra, Tejas and MCA

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Re: Aerospace materials for Dhruv, Rudra, Tejas and MCA

Post by NRao »

Rien,

Read things more carefully.
Rien wrote: You shoot from the hip without making a cursory fact check. Google is my friend, it can be yours as well. Also, if you read the article you linked
Without the waivers, both companies could have faced sanctions for violating federal law and the F-35 program could have faced further delays.

"It was a pretty big deal and an unusual situation because there's a prohibition on doing defense work in China, even if it's inadvertent," said Frank Kenlon, who recently retired as a senior Pentagon procurement official and now teaches at American University. "I'd never seen this happen before."

The Government Accountability Office, the investigative arm of Congress, is examining three such cases involving the F-35, the U.S. military's next generation fighter, the documents show.
Your link just proved I was right. It's against Federal law. Read the article, not just the headline.
If one does not have a waiver, for items that need one, then one gets into trouble. IF one has a waiver, why would they get into trouble? Applies to the Dell case too.

Indians have been trained and used to service Apache in A'stan. .................. Waiver.

It is against Federal law, *IF* you *do not have a waiver*. Same as with the Dell laptop/desktop.
Rien wrote: google my friend
No need.
Rien wrote: War is war, even if it you call it public policy or collateral damage.
I agree.

However, your first post had an example of "Ohio" - the State of Ohio.

While your second example had India + WTO - that is a Federal issue.

State and federals do not mix and match (with some exception). While what the Feds do could impact other nations (like India), what any State does, it does not matter (unless the two have an agreement) or a waiver. Standard ops since decades.
Rien wrote: Produce one exception made for an Indian company. You showed me a Chinese company. I'm asking for an exemption for any Indian company.
Come up with a list of Indian companies that have applied and see why they were denied a waiver. Simple.

There are plenty of foreign companies, including Indian, that have "cleared" section (physical), an indicator that they are doing some work in that space. Then there are foreign companies like Accenture, Capgemini, etc, that have spun of companies that are dedicated to Federal work. You will be very, very, very surprised how much cleared work is conducted by foreign companies.

Now, why have no Indian majors spun off I have no clue - something to ask them.

Else follow the rules, get a waiver, and one should plain be fine.

BTW, the USN is looking abroad for small radars for her LCS ships. Indians should apply.
member_22605
BRFite

Post by member_22605 »

NRao sir, despite your liking for the US maal the fact is that US suppliers(and also its allies like Japan etc) are not reliable and that's one of the reasons why we try and stay away from any US vendor unless absolutely necessary. And also in another thread you seem to be too happy to deride Russian equipment while praising the american equipment to be the best and without equal, while the fact is neither is the Russian equipment as inferior as you assume nor is the US ware as awesome as you believe. BTW i am not a supporter of Russian hardware nor am i against the US, i just feel the Russians get a lot of unnecessary bad publicity probably because they like us (Indians) cant make glossy brochures filled technical jargon that sounds very impressive.
Cheers!
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

To meet growing needs of carbon fibre, especially in the strategic and aerospace sectors, Midhani has also entered into a partnership with the National Aerospace Lab (NAL) in Bengaluru for joint production that can be scaled up to meet emergent requirements. With Midhani's Rs 200 crore capacity expansion programme virtually complete (it is likely to be inaugurated and ready for production by mid-2015), fresh capacities are finally becoming available for the corporation to begin thinking of an export plan that had been detailed earlier this year. Its current projects include aeronautical grade titanium, ultra super-critical alloys and high grade steels. While Midhani has not revealed what its export catalogue will contain, it is likely to support civilian aerospace, space and indigenous military efforts in other countries.
http://www.spsmai.com/exclusive/?id=440 ... -steel-hub
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

What opportunities are there in the defence sector for me to do a startup and put in some venture capital in a useful area?

Anybody's doing this here ?
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

?

any defence startups that would hire a materials guy ....i'm sure lots.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

mahadevbhu wrote:?

any defence startups that would hire a materials guy ....i'm sure lots.
Assuming, you are asking about firms in India (not outside) ,Tata Advanced Materials Limited (TAML) comes to my mind if composites is your area of expertise. There are a bunch of pvt firms which manufacture ballistic personal armors but I suspect they get the designs from DRDO (or another source).

If you are looking at private firms (MNC); Eaton, GE & Dupont hire Material Science folks AFAIK.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Also, I highly doubt, you may wanna check Team Indus (desi start up sending a probe/rover to moon on Google-X's prize money) website to find if they have any openings for a Material Science guy.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Absolute landmine of information

Drdo Prodyogiki Vishesh, Sept-Dec2014
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

indranilroy wrote:Absolute landmine of information

Drdo Prodyogiki Vishesh, Sept-Dec2014
That is a hindi version of a very old techfocus (2010 I believe). For eg, NBC Suit Mk-IV mentioned in it has already been superseded by NBC Suit Mk-V. Techfocus issues have hit an air pocket this year. Either they have restricted it to internal circulation only, considering that we here on BR go through every sentence to dig up as much open source intelligence as we can, or maybe they are simply short on staff to release it.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

I agree there is nothing new in it, it's only a mishmash of various previous techfocus articles. Dat jawbreaking Hindi though :mrgreen:
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I did not know about the developments on the HPT blades.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

^^^ Techfocus April 2011 pg.2
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Thank you. I had completely missed this.