Republic Day 2015 - News and Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Re: Republic Day 2015 - News and Discussion

Post by KLNMurthy »

Sid wrote:^^ I think KLNMurthy is talking about background and security checks before a contractor is hired to sit between two head of sates.

You can't get close enough then this.
Sorry, no, I was referring to verifying accuracy of translation, especially live interpretation. There will be a lot of nuances and ambiguity that can lead to problems.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Also interpreter is also privy to whatever was supposed to be parde me rahene de.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

klmn, that is bound to be there when we two giants poles apart, meet with different mind sets, agenda, principles, life styles, culture, yadi yada.. it is always good to not interpret on summits other than that is intended in the summit agenda ahead of the meet.

if there is serious discrepancies, then the concerned authorities will step in to take corrective actions and remedies.. i don't think this is like climbing mount everest, where each side will remain on their terms and don't care heck about what other side thinks... take independent route to shoot each other at the peak.

and it is all about meeting ends meet circular so that there is a continuum. in math guru's terms, you might want to utmost consider a mobius strip.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

matrimc wrote:Also interpreter is also privy to whatever was supposed to be parde me rahene de.
I think the real parde me baate e.g. in the Hyderabad house garden supposed to be a photo op turned into a 45 minute 1 on 1 with just Obama and Modi with no interpreter present.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

So, the above puts paid, post-facto, to the speculation (that was being bandied around by the Cong(I) mouthpieces) that PM Modi is an illiterate as far angrezi is concerned.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Yes, I dont think Modi needs an interpreter for sensitive discussions.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

worst case is the nuances between two types of inglicks... but then all desis suffer a bit on that. big deal!

let me forge ahead to correct here.. the interpreter is not for modi, but for om baba.
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

He/She (in this case) should be from MEA and trained than mere interpreter. If that is not the case than GoI should look in to it.

During president's recent visit there was an instance that Modi was talking with president alone on a cup of tea without interpreter. It became famous too.

-Ankit
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

During press conference, the interpreter forgot to interpret Indian reporter's question (the second and last one) which was partly in Hindi.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Watch the video. 1 on 1 with nobody else present. It supposedly lasted 45 minutes in total. I dont know if they spoke in English or Hindi :)

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

hinglish with a touch of masala chai.

btw, modi nods with indic yes.. and khaan nods goes up and down. interpretation is a no or yes?

it would have been a great sight, had he made baba sahib to drink tea with the saucer. and no further interpretation required how future events will happen.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Liked the part where Modi tells Obama he is always welcome whether as President or ex President and to come witht his family!!!!
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

President BO is saying we should be united to get rid of terrorism. PM Modi is saying I agree 100% but there is only problem - the 400% and 10%. :)

Al that is required is a a little bit of lip reding and body language - sAmudrika shAstra - the science of reading body language and gestures.
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Chaiwala making chai for a cook's grandson, both leaders of the 2 greatest democracies. Doesn't get more symbolic than this.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

any interpreted comments on this:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B87JJhKCYAEH4bM.jpg

? :)
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Interesting pic saar - I didn't know Putin spoke English (or does NaMo speak Russian?). There is no interpreter in the background.
SNaik
BRFite

Post by SNaik »

arshyam wrote:Interesting pic saar - I didn't know Putin spoke English (or does NaMo speak Russian?). There is no interpreter in the background.
Or they both speak German? 8)