Republic Day 2015 - News and Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
d_berwal
BRFite

Re: Republic Day 2015 - News and Discussion

Post by d_berwal »

mahadevbhu wrote:
Singha wrote:the army continues its strange and obsessive fascination with the T90 and BMP2.

of all the stuff in its kitty it had to find these two to lead the parade ! sigh - some things will never ever change.

good that Uttarkhand had kedarnath as theme.

Assam had the vaishnavite Majuli island rather than Dhaka masjid I was expecting under current regime :roll:

tried and tested republic day display.

arjun hasnt cleared the "feasible for republic day display" trials yet.....nor has the lca
There is no strange and obsessive fascination with the T90 and BMP2.

Lets put some facts together...

1) An operational Regiment does not take part more than once in RD parade. (this is my understanding i might be wrong)
-- RD parade contingent is on rotational basis.
-- The 2nd chance for the same regiment will come once all have gotten their chance.

2) Both the Arjun Operational Regiment have taken part in RD parade before.
-- and even Arjun Mk2 was part of DRDO contingent last year.

3) Same goes for LCA as its not part of operational Sq yet.
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

http://www.odishanewsinsight.com/nation ... tricolour/

http://www.smashable.in/p-hamid-and-sal ... em-morning

Vice President Dr. Ansari has shown disrespect to the National Flag, but guess MSM is blacking out this news.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

berwal sahab, since when is a civilian expected to salute the flag ?? If I remember my flag code a civilian is supposed to stand at attention and that's what he was doing.
girish.r
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by girish.r »

SwamyG wrote:Pandrapur Vitla pilgrimage from MH. Message loud and clear...no mistaking. Or call me totally biased. This is middle finger to so many people.

Modi stamp unmissable. What a man.
The beautiful display of 'Swastika' and 'Om' was cool too :D

Loved it.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Single engined A/C arent allowed to take part
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

Rahul'ji

According to the Constitution of India, the office of the Vice President is the second highest constitutional post in independent India.

Well he is a civilian, technically correct answer 100 marks.

As per me (emotional way) a vice president present on republic day next to Indian Tri-color unfurling and national anthem being sung should have some character to at-least salute.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

there was a deadly Mirage2000 crash during a aerobatics show in 1988 republic day I think.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

yes the helos too have twin engines.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

Singha wrote:there was a deadly Mirage2000 crash during a aerobatics show in 1988 republic day I think.
that wasn't a engine failure, the pilot could not recover from a steep dive at low altitude if I remember correctly and that too on airforce day!!
Last edited by shaun on 26 Jan 2015 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

d_berwal wrote:Rahul'ji

According to the Constitution of India, the office of the Vice President is the second highest constitutional post in independent India.

As per me (emotional way) a vice president present on republic day next to Indian Tri-color unfurling and national anthem being sung should have some character to at-least salute.
I am sorry I dont expect nor want civilians to salute, it's a right that has to be earned. in any case they tend to make a hash of it, just look at the prez's wrist position.

the VP did the right thing and stood to attention. if anything PM & RM violated protocol but I guess we can forgive that.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Derek o brien has launched a tirade asking why west bengal tableau was not one of the 16 selected.
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

Derek o brien has launched a tirade asking why west bengal tableau was not one of the 16 selected.
being a quiz master he only knows why, what, where, who.
He does not need to answer :wink:

Hope he checks last two year PIB link, which clearly indicates that not all states have there tableaux every year.
http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx?relid=91764
http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease. ... lid=102681

Attempt for some media attention today :)
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Rahul M wrote:other options singapore, vietnam, burma, RSA.
Bangladesh. Its the only country in South Asia that hasn't ever received an invite. Should go well with the PM's effort to revitalize the SAARC while giving a further impetus to already improving bilateral ties. This assuming the political situation in Bangladesh settles down by then. If not, they could consider inviting the new Sri Lankan President.
vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

So i heard, modi wore a suit with his name written as stripes. is it true or a bakistani bs
vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

vdutta wrote:So i heard, modi wore a suit with his name written as stripes. is it true or a bakistani bs
Apparently true.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Doesnt look too bad but could have been better.

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Viv S wrote:
Rahul M wrote:other options singapore, vietnam, burma, RSA.
Bangladesh. Its the only country in South Asia that hasn't ever received an invite. Should go well with the PM's effort to revitalize the SAARC while giving a further impetus to already improving bilateral ties. This assuming the political situation in Bangladesh settles down by then. If not, they could consider inviting the new Sri Lankan President.
yup, those are good options as well.

looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_st ... ade_Guests

wtf, we had invited the pakis twice, once in 1965 ??
vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

Thakur_B wrote:
vdutta wrote:So i heard, modi wore a suit with his name written as stripes. is it true or a bakistani bs
Apparently true.
I dodnt like it. After all these good things this one looks a bit tacky. Also it was first worn by a dictator hosni mubarak. Twitter will go nuts with this.

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Well yes its tacky per conventional standards but its his own style, and flamboyant and perhaps now he will have to depend on some professional image guy. He is what he is, open and a showman. I think a lot of this will be made out of the crowd who revels in him being an "uncouth chaiwallah" etc. But for us, we just need a nationalist, a good administrator and solid PM. All this is secondary.
Last edited by Karan M on 26 Jan 2015 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
shravanp
BRF Oldie

Post by shravanp »

Dont know if anybody observed Javdekar and Ram shankar Prasad. Both were nodding heads, thumping their thighs in tune with the military band's music. They seem the enjoi the mil parade. Nationalistic fervor! Good to have them as mantris.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Yes! The ministers enthu was something to watch.
Perhaps i am stretching but Ombaba seemed to notice the Gurkhas when they were announced (in particular). Might have heard of them. Also thought he "recognized" the Sikh regiments.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The mil part of the parade was cut down significantly,perhaps because of US requests,as the US pres. cannot be in the open for long periods. In past years,the mil floats and armoured columns have been more extensive. I still feel that Arjun and the LCA should've been part of the parade to show off India's capability. A model of the ATV/Arihant would've been just great.
Altair
BRF Oldie

Post by Altair »

Is it true that PMO made efforts to stop Arvind Kejriwal being present at the parade? Or its just his propagandu?
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Modi's kurta - how does its matter guys ? This has nothing to do with him being a showman. Everybody has their own sense of fashion. I have seen people with their initials embroidered on their shirt cuffs. I am guessing some admirer gave it to him anyway.

Agree with Rahul on saluting. You only salute in uniform. I was invited to RD function as a chief guest once at Paraplegic Centre and was not in uniform so did not salute. Having said that Parrikar and Modi atleast dont get it totally wrong. If any politico salutes I'd rather these two.
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

Altair wrote:Is it true that PMO made efforts to stop Arvind Kejriwal being present at the parade? Or its just his propagandu?

I'll let you take a first shot at this...

Hint: Kejriwal wasn't invited because there is no protocol to 'invite' common people (he is after all Aam Aadmi, with a Swiss bank locker) since he doesn't hold any office. He could have, like the other common abduls there gotten a ticket and gone to see it, but there was no reason or protocol that justified an 'invite'. Tack on the fact that he tried to disrupt the previous Republic Day celebration by threatening to cancel it...again, you decide if the PM took the time to prevent this whiny thing from showing up.
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:Modi's kurta - how does its matter guys ? This has nothing to do with him being a showman. Everybody has their own sense of fashion. I have seen people with their initials embroidered on their shirt cuffs. I am guessing some admirer gave it to him anyway.

Agree with Rahul on saluting. You only salute in uniform. I was invited to RD function as a chief guest once at Paraplegic Centre and was not in uniform so did not salute. Having said that Parrikar and Modi atleast dont get it totally wrong. If any politico salutes I'd rather these two.
Amen
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Why should a Pakistani go to such extents to use a magnifying glass against a photograph which anyone would have ordinarily dismissed as such, to analyze the stripes? That bothers and mystifies me.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

I did not notice any "seculars" being present, other than a fleeting glimpse of Sonia Gandhi. What happened to the usual INC cabal? The commies I guess was on a protest any ways. Bhagoda Kejri too seems to be missing. Or was it DD being a spoil sport by not focusing on the "monarchs who ruled India for the last nnn years"
Victor wrote:Kammar Bandh (ie. cummerbund) is also worn even by USAF in formal dress uniform. Calling them towels displays total ignorance. What kind of NCC were you in.
Even NCC units have the Cummerbands as part of their ceremonial uniforms :).
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Not inviting Kejri, letting him whine about it and then calling him aam abdul was a masterstroke just before elections.
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

Karan M wrote:Doesnt look too bad but could have been better.
This Man got style Boss!! 8)
Would love to have something like that stitched for myself.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Rahul M wrote:
d_berwal wrote:Rahul'ji

I am sorry I dont expect nor want civilians to salute, it's a right that has to be earned. in any case they tend to make a hash of it, just look at the prez's wrist position.

the VP did the right thing and stood to attention. if anything PM & RM violated protocol but I guess we can forgive that.
IIRC from NCC days you salute when in full uniform including headgear otherwise you come to attention.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

to add summary to few things

- kids need more exercise and nutrition plan to curb their over weight right from elementary school
- we need schools to channelize and train kids for parade, school bands, music as curriculum
- more ogranization is required for chieftans and salute takers to be well aware of norms
- more TFTA presentation required from states but communal is totally fine!
- no ex-chief minister (especially the ones jailed for crime) posters on the state shows and government tableaux on the parade to be allowed. [#amma] {why was this allowed? this is blatant!} :x
- no chewing gums or picking nose allowed :mrgreen:
HKumar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by HKumar »

if you need a reason to be outraged about something - It would be that politicos and VIPs don't need the feel to show respect to dead brave hearts during the awards part of the ceremony. Stand up as a simple sign of respect.

somebody should tell Pranab da to not so stiff and upper-lip-ed and Modi not to sit cross-legged when the awards are being given.

anyway - a nice collection of pictures - not just politcos

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 085&type=1
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Altair wrote:Is it true that PMO made efforts to stop Arvind Kejriwal being present at the parade? Or its just his propagandu?
He does not need to be 'stopped'. He simply is not qualified for an official invitation. He is not an official of the government, an elected public personality, a member of the armed forces, a member of the diplomatic corps, or a security officer. He gets the same treatment as his bete noire Ambani. If he wants to attend, he can get a ticket and sit in the audience like you and me, since he's as Aam Aadmi by his own vigorous assertion.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

"an elected public personality" !!!
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

SaiK, let it go. He's no longer an elected leader - he voluntarily gave up his position. It's already been clearly explained that state leadership does not get an official invitation, much less a former state leader. The former most powerful woman in the country was relegated to a corner holding her own umbrella. There's no way AK was going to get any sort of invitation to such an event.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

where was the LCA? this is no way connected to cause any khujli to potus.. no?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

krishnan (smart man - for deleting your post that quick), arrrey.. it doesn't need to fly. it deserves more respect than Jailed Jayalalitha