LCA Tejas: News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
KrishnaK
BRFite

Re: LCA Tejas: News and Discussions

Post by KrishnaK »

shiv wrote:
KrishnaK wrote: maccaualy has nothing to do with not making products the world aspires to own. that is the problem that needs to be solved.
I don't believe that you understand what Macaulay has to do with all this. He was instrumental in changing the system of Indian education to make Indians appreciate British goods so that finished products could be exported to India. This has everything to do with Indian attitudes towards imported goods. The contempt for "khadi gramodyog" is the flip side of the admiration for imported chiffon.
Imported chiffon WAS better, because we didn't make chiffon in the first place, because we weren't allowed to make chiffon. Today bar some sectors indian manufacturers have competed with foreign brands just fine. So no, maccaulay has nothing to do with this. Last from me on this.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

KrishnaK wrote:Imported chiffon WAS better, because we didn't make chiffon in the first place, because we weren't allowed to make chiffon. Today bar some sectors indian manufacturers have competed with foreign brands just fine. So no, maccaulay has nothing to do with this. Last from me on this.
Unless you had tested and compared all varieties of made in India cloth available in India (and price) with chiffon in that era, what you say is an opinion based on a hunch, just like opinions based on hunches about India made goods have been made about LCA . I have noted your opinion about Chiffon and Macaulay. I disagree on both counts. I am certain that you can live with diversity of opinion.
sivab
BRFite

Post by sivab »

[youtube]watch?v=pvqC4cbTgkk[/youtube]

@19:00 MP praises LCA capabilities and explains nuances of how it will be used. 8)

@12:30 he talks about squadron formation
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

I did visit the lounge last year tsarkar. I was the only one in the lounge no one seems interested. computers were not working in the lounge but rest was good.
sivab
BRFite

Post by sivab »

[youtube]watch?v=sPOwFr0Dy_M[/youtube]

@15:40 MP talks about how he resolved issues with various stake holders of LCA through a serious of mtgs with all of them.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

Let's not dig out our history of 1000 years to explain our failure to order 500 LCA. There is problem of attitude in Army and IAF which can be fixed by any determined Defense Minister in few weeks. Why is Navy immune to Maculay? Defense Minister needs to pass a simple order:- You will only order indigenous products and LIKE IT. The cancer that is emerging today is that pretext for import is created by demanding very costly imported products and labeling them super essential & indispensable. Then Defense Minister is left scratching his head about what import is required and in what quantity? I strongly suspect our budget is being dissipated on non essential imports. For instance I can understand import of thermal imagers but 40,000 IIR guided ATGMs? While repeatedly failing to Oder easily available indigenous BPJs.
member_28990
BRFite

Post by member_28990 »

sivab wrote:[youtube]watch?v=pvqC4cbTgkk[/youtube]

@19:00 MP praises LCA capabilities and explains nuances of how it will be used. 8)

@12:30 he talks about squadron formation
this interview is a goldmine of info. Great to hear that the Arjun has not been forgotten too. The Parrikar era might turn out to be a welcome turning point in indian defence sector.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Siva b
Please post a youtube link of the videos too.
My browser refuses to play embedded videos !!!
sivab
BRFite

Post by sivab »

^^^ one posed by keshavchandra and second https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPOwFr0Dy_M
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^

sivab,

There was an issue with how you posted embedded YouTube video.

You posted it like this:

Code: Select all

[youtube]watch?v=pvqC4cbTgkk[/youtube]
But it needs to be like this to work correctly:

Code: Select all

[youtube]pvqC4cbTgkk[/youtube]
sivab
BRFite

Post by sivab »

^^^ mus be a browser issue, works fine on chrome.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^
If you do it the second way, it works on all browsers ;)
member_26535
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_26535 »

MP says Tejas has successfully completed derby firing trials. When was this done ?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Any idea why MP does not (or has not) mention Arjun or AMCA?
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

^^^
He did mention Arjun in the To the Point video posted above by sivab around 16:00
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Thanks, he did mention Arjun MKI and MKII.

However, I wish he was more specific.

Good that he has made Arjun MKIs that were "rotting" into fighting machines.

More power to this man. He has not only kept -ves out (scandals., etc) but has made very good progress, in a short time, on the +ves.

I knew the previous admin was bad, but this bad? Thanks God for MP.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

srikven wrote:MP says Tejas has successfully completed derby firing trials. When was this done ?
He didn't say "completed all trials". He was talking about it being fired from LCA.

Feb 5, 2016 was the first firing.

Tejas fires Derby missile in Jamnagar

member_26535
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_26535 »

Thank u srai
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Thanks keshavchandra, sivab.

Really love the simplicity & sheer determination of this guy!
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I can't get to sivab's videos. Error 500
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

SaiK wrote:I can't get to sivab's videos. Error 500
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

Gagan wrote:Thanks keshavchandra, sivab.

I simply love the way he is able to reel off the names of all projects from missiles to guns to airplanes including the timelines of various projects/inductions..

At 19.42 when he says "it is much much better than Mig21, may be 2times or 3times better" and at 14.26 when he says "Dhanush is 155*45 caliber, Bofors was 155*39 caliber" I had tears in my eyes.. Twice in the same intervview I had tears of joy.. For RM to give such an emphatic backing to Tejas and for him to remember the technical details in such minute details had me jumping for joy..
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

I know right
I was crying when he was so clear about the calibre of the gun.....

Our Raksha Mantri position has come of age thanks to this person stepping in.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

I tweeted this! Really appreciable !!!
NachiketM
BRFite -Trainee

Post by NachiketM »

tsarkar wrote:I am at Delhi Airport T3 Terminal where I found an IAF lounge next to the ticketing counters. Its for IAF personnel only. It has two large models displayed, one Su-30MKI and one Tejas. Note that its an IAF lounge and not DRDO or HAL or MoD.

The noticeable thing about the model is that it depicts the combat load of Tejas. The hardpoints, left to right, are one R-73E, one Derby, one EFT, empty centerline, one Litening on inlet, another EFT, one 450 kg LGB and finally another R-73E

Those travelling via Delhi T3 should visit the lounge
Can you post some pics please ... :)
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Yes, a fantastic interview by Parrikar... The BJP is brimming with future PM candidates!!!
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

without sounding like a broken record in my opinion parrikarji will prove to be the best defense minister since India,s independance
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Is this IAF lounge open for civilians ? I have never seen it .
BTW, most Air Force stations in Dilli have pictures of Tejas on gates. Air chief's house has a Sukhoi 30MKI model.
Bhaskar_T
BRFite

Post by Bhaskar_T »

Am watching a good video/program on Tejas on YouTube but somehow can't get the link from YouTube browser on mobile. It has been uploaded today titled "Indian defence anysis" and TV logo is Loksabha TV, published by Loksabha TV channel. The panelists are either current or ex big IAF officers. All are discussing the issues of the program and giving nice suggestions. Everyone on the panel agrees that Tejas is here to stay and needs to be produced in numbers. I hope someone can post that video here for others info.

Added later - Got the link.

https://youtu.be/4UacZsfupBY

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

rakall wrote:
Gagan wrote:Thanks keshavchandra, sivab.

I simply love the way he is able to reel off the names of all projects from missiles to guns to airplanes including the timelines of various projects/inductions..

At 19.42 when he says "it is much much better than Mig21, may be 2times or 3times better" and at 14.26 when he says "Dhanush is 155*45 caliber, Bofors was 155*39 caliber" I had tears in my eyes.. Twice in the same intervview I had tears of joy.. For RM to give such an emphatic backing to Tejas and for him to remember the technical details in such minute details had me jumping for joy..
not just that- the way in which he clearly states that the Tejas can hold its own against heavier fighters when in a defensive role over its own skies is remarkable..and a big departure from the AK Antony types who most likely didn't have a clue about the program..Attending those 18 meetings between HAL/ADA and IAF to arrive at a mutually acceptable solution, Parrikar saab being a highly educated man with the ability to understand the technical nuances grasped it quickly.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

snahata wrote:without sounding like a broken record in my opinion parrikarji will prove to be the best defense minister since India,s independance
+1000
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Good find, Bhaskar_T!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

We need to wish Parikkar and our nation well. One term, one Parikkar will not be enough because the system is much bigger than the individual.

Even Parikkar can be checkmated by the system. For example there may be a single bad egg in the air force and 2-3 bad eggs in the MoD especially if they all coordinate their actions. Assume that the Air Force bad egg gets to make money from an import deal. if he is in a position of influence he can use his friends and channels to play up an import and play down the value of something that could be produced locally. He also tells his other kickback-gettng MoD friends that some deal needs to be scuttled.

What happens is that if some deal goes up to minister and he okays it, some babu will point out that the deal must go through environment ministry, or finance ministry or labour ministry or minorities ministry because Adivasi land is involved. The babu will then contact his friends in those ministries ad explain that this is a problem deal because Def minister may be getting a kickback and it needs to be scrutinized for environment/land/finance etc. So the papers for the deal keep on circulating in the government and even defence minister has to wait because he cannot make the paper move in the environment ministry.

With the government full of babus who are corrupt and Lutyens Delhi full of socialites who hobnob with rich middlemen who can influence babus and some senior officers - one honest minister is not enough.

There are always two sides to a story. if we assume that Antony was really honest we can explain why nothing went forward. Everything was corrupt and the only way he could delay the corrupt was by not making a decision. Parikkar has an even tougher job because he has to make things move despite endemic corruption and yet reduce the kickbacks that are undoubtedly still taking place and reduce the resistance to make in India that comes from foreign middlemen paying Indians to delay competing deals.

I get the general feeling that Modi and Parikkar have colluded to bypass the amount of slush money that would have been earned by the Rafale deal by first cutting the number from 126 to 36 and then delaying with intense bargaining for so long that the corrupt Indian babus and other middlemen who have money being paid will not be able to show results for getting the deal through. In the meantime I have heard Parikkar making a statement that no one seems to have commented upon. He said "In some cases in war missiles can be used instead of aircraft". It may have been coincidence but the Air Force tested a Brahmos within a few days of that statement

In other words what Parikkar and Modi may be doing is what the Chinese did when faced with sanctions. They relied on "strategic weapons" while they funded and encouraged local industry. In those days we used to laugh with our western democracy "friends" as Chinese rust buckets. Those friends are the ones paying Indians bribes now.

The time has come for us to encourage our rust bucket makers to buck up. The Chinese were lucky because of sanctions. Because we have no peacetime sanctions - it allows corrupt government officials and middlemen to flourish. Long delays help to make those corrupt people's actions ineffective - but there will be howls that our defence is going to dogs.
Last edited by shiv on 01 Jun 2016 07:09, edited 1 time in total.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

+1

Shiv ji.
member_27581
BRFite

Post by member_27581 »

shiv wrote:We need to wish Parikkar and our nation well.
+1000
shiv wrote:In the meantime I have heard Parikkar making a statement that no one seems to have commented upon. He said "In some cases in war missiles can be used instead of aircraft". It may have been coincidence but the Air Force tested a Brahmos within a few days of that statement
This is something I too found unusual. Coz I remember only IA and IN testing Brahmos.

This is the second BRF viewpoint that has become mainstream, first one being reconsidering super carriers. Whatever the decision may be at least things dont seem to be dead at top as it was the case 2/3 years back.
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

We need to wish Parikkar and our nation well. One term, one Parikkar will not be enough because the system is much bigger than the individual.

Absolutely shiv, no question about that. corruption runs deep. But to have people like these finally running our country can only mean Achhe din. It also tells u about modiji judgement, great find by him.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

shiv wrote:We need to wish Parikkar and our nation well. One term, one Parikkar will not be enough because the system is much bigger than the individual.

Even Parikkar can be checkmated by the system.
I hope this problem is being attacked from multiple angles. Like the corrupt babus being identified and removed. Second is reduce the scope for black money. With every defence deal with or without kick backs going intense scrutiny and some movement in the international front by many countries to exchange financial data and a fight against tax havens, the scope for corruption hopefully gets reduced.

Interestingly, both Gadkari and Parrikar were reluctant to move to the centre from their respective states. Gadkari now maintains he loves Delhi and has no intention of going back. Perhaps he had doubts about what kind of autonomy and funding he might be getting which were cleared once he took his position.

Surprising MP did not want to leave Goa as it is a really small state and DefMin of India is a much more prestigious position IMO than CM of a tiny state. Anyway Kudos to him for putting the interests of the country before his own.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

hanumadu wrote: I hope this problem is being attacked from multiple angles. Like the corrupt babus being identified and removed.
Well in one of his interviews linked off BRF Parikkar did say that they have broken the back of the kickback nexus. But it can rise again. Foreign companies are constantly ready to dole out slush funds and the Indian (and other turd world nations) low self esteem and admiration for western universities ensures that the path is made easy for the children of cooperators to settle abroad.

I still think that extraordinary delays in procurement are a way of fighting the kickback nexus while quick purchases and changes in specs suggest the sort of "efficiency" that money making businesses require. Private companies with shareholder stake need to show results. A 100 aircraft deal will cause share values to rise. But if that deal takes 12 years then many directors will have come and gone and lost jobs because they failed to get a contract. I wonder what happens to the funds that middlemen get to wine and dine Indians? They too will eventually see funds drying up I expect as the deal gets delayed interminably.

I have often pointed out how China said "screw you" to everyone and simply built up nukes and gave themselves the space to build up their industry. Parikkar says we will be pretty much self sufficient in missiles in 5 years. Use those missiles to ward off our threats and give domestic industry a chance. Let the kickback deal maker starve. But for that we need at least 1 more term of a clean and efficient government. If you recall how the Congress minions ruthlessly murdered Sikhs in 1984 and then didn't bat an eyelid - you can be sure that they can do anything. Batka house and Ishrat Jahan are just minor examples. The party has installed in Delhi a large number of sons of old Royal and feudal dynasties -whose service to the nation was not always exemplary. So there is deep rot and all our celebration needs to be tempered by the knowledge that there is work to do.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

hanumadu wrote: Surprising MP did not want to leave Goa as it is a really small state and DefMin of India is a much more prestigious position
With respect - I simply hate the description of a ministry as "prestigious" because the more that people admire the "prestige' the more we get poltical mofos who are in it for prestige and Money. I would state categorically that Parikkar and Modi are both not in this business for prestige. the first guy who demands prestige needs to be booted out