Magazine and Media Watch/Review

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
rocky
BRFite

Post by rocky »

Interview with Capt. Bharat Verma, from http://sify.com/printer_friendly.php?id ... id=2&lid=1

'We saw the globe (and India) through foreigners' eyes'

Capt. Bharat Verma is the editor of Indian Defence Review. A quarterly journal read by leading policy makers at senior bureaucratic, political and military levels, the IDR is renowned as the "most-quoted Indian defence publication".
Capt Verma is also the founder and current editor of Lancer Publishers, a publishing house dedicated to defence and security matters.
In an exclusive, wide-ranging interview to Claude Arpi, the former Army officer recalls the travails of setting up the IDR against stiff government opposition, and explains how India's enemies use the country's media and other democratic tools to try and destabilise it.
However, he argues, the India of 2012 will not be as pacifist? as it is today. It will be far more assertive and equipped with sufficient power to take on such adversaries in our vicinity.?

The IDR was the first defence publication in the country. How did you start? What difficulties did you encounter?

When I was a young subaltern in the Army, we were posted in the Thar Desert. This was during the Simla summit [1972]. My Commanding Officer wanted young officers to deliver lectures. When he asked me to give a talk on desert warfare, I asked him: "Where is the Indian defence literature on the Thar desert?" I was a cavalry officer and if we had to move in this desert during war, I needed to know how to go about it, how do I gather intelligence about people and tribes living in this area? Who will be with us? Who will be against us? He answered: "Forget it! Indians do not read and do not write. You better read Rommel or Montgomery and deliver your lecture, otherwise you will not be served whisky in the Officers mess." This was part of the tradition in the Regiment to encourage reading habits in the young officers.

When I left the Army as a Short Service Commissioned Officer, I decided to set up a business. I realised that there was no literature available in India on defence matters written by Indians despite the wars we kept fighting. Our analysis was copied from foreign publications. We were looking at the globe (and India) through the foreigners' eyes. Our security perceptions were what somebody else told us. Analysis mostly came from the Western publications. It was not Indian. Therefore, I decided to set up the first dedicated Indian military publishing house in 1979, to encourage Indian military officers to write. That's how Lancers came up.

In 1986, we took one step further by encouraging strategic thinking in the open domain and started the Indian Defence Review (IDR). The first issues were bi-annual with hard covers and as there was no state patronage, we supported it from the revenues of the publishing house. It became a national mission for me. I thought, it had to be done for India; strategic thinking had to come to the common man in the open domain and this could only be done by the private sector.
Next

"What the hell is happening, Bharat?

Was the government ready to collaborate?

No. In January 1986, when we published the first issue, we carried an article by Lt Gen. Kathpalia, a former Director General of Military Intelligence. He wrote that in 1971, there was no intelligence about the enemy; the Indian Army fought the war almost blindly, particularly in the Western sector. The story was released to PTI, which flashed it worldwide. Delhi was not used to this type of story. The environment in the eighties was very closed and stiffening. As far as national security was concerned, it was the government's monopoly.

When The Hindustan Times published our release, I got a call at 10.30 am from the Director of Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA): "What the hell is happening, Bharat?

"I have North Block [Defence ministry], South Block [Ministry of External Affairs], intelligence agencies sitting on my head, asking for the copy of IDR?" The first issue was still five days away from the market. I told him so.

He said, " I have been telling them that it is not an IDSA publication but a private one by Bharat Verma. But they don't believe this." Their response was "How is it possible that the IDR is published outside the government". This was the kind of atmosphere we were struggling against. Our very pacifist society never really understood military power. It was surprising that after 1,000 years of slavery and domination, India had not learnt any lesson.

Then the government threatened to cancel the pension of the General who wrote the story. Of course, it did not materialise, but these were the kind of obstacles we faced when we started the IDR. It was a pioneering work. Today a lot of military officers, intelligence officers, police officers, diplomats write for us. It is healthy trend for democracy.

But documents like the Henderson Brooks report (on the 1962 war) are still kept secret by the government. Official reports of 1962, 1965 or 1971 wars are still 'restricted'. One still has to go to London or Washington to know the history of India.

As far as national security is concerned, Delhi looks at the globe from London, Washington, Moscow, or Paris. Rarely from Delhi! That is India's tragedy. Therefore, the non-release of Henderson Papers is a horrible thing as we are not willing to learn from our mistakes

Let me tell you the story of Lt Gen. Harbaksh Singh who wrote his 1965 "War Dispatches". These are the actual dispatches of an Army Commander as they were sent every day to Delhi. He told me: "Bharat, for 20 years, I have asked the Ministry of Defence for permission to publish them, they have never replied or responded. Will you publish them?" I am one of those who thinks "Publish and be dammed." The general said these "War Dispatches" were classified, top secret documents. We published them. Today, they are part of army's compulsory reading material! It is an irony that people who were opposing publication of the IDR have made it a recommended reading in the Army, Navy, and the Air Force. Now the intelligence community has also joined in. But it was an uphill task in a pacifist India. Things have changed to a certain extent, but bureaucracy remains bureaucracy whether it is in Paris, New York or London. Perhaps, we are worse than others!

'Indians don't read. Only foreigners will read it'

Is IDR read worldwide?

All think-thanks and governments interested in the affairs of the sub-continent worldwide read IDR. It's read heavily by our adversaries too. There is this vendor who used to buy 70 copies of each issue of the IDR for many years from our wholesaler. During a book fair in Delhi, he asked our staff, if he could buy directly from us and get more discount. I said "Fine, as long as he puts the cash on the table, as we do not know him, we can't give him credit". He came to get the next issue from our office. He looked a poor man. He said that he had no cash, but added, "You send your man with me and when I deliver these copies, I will give your man the cash". We agreed and after a couple of hours, our man came back with the cash. I asked him where he had gone. He said: "Pakistan Embassy".

For years, they have been buying the IDR. They send it to their Army Head Quarters, the Army Commanders, the Corps Commanders, Foreign Office, etc. That is the way they operate. We should learn from them.

But on our side, when I asked for the registration of the IDR, the licensing authorities sent it to Army HQ since we used the word "Indian" with Defence Review. Their contention was the word "Indian" made it sound official. My contention was if India Today or Indian Express could use the word India, why could I not, as an Indian citizen? The Director General of Military Operations, who later became the Chief, called me for a cup of tea. He said: "Why are you publishing this?" I said: "For the Indian Armed Forces and for the civilians who come from a pacifist background, for them to understand the use of military power and the threats faced by India". He replied: "Bharat, Indians don't read. Only foreigners will read it." I told him: "Is it not a tragedy that for Indian culture or languages like Sanskrit, we get degrees from foreign universities? This is what has to change." The DGMO, of course refused to clear the title with the word "Indian" in IDR. That the same office subscribes to IDR speaks volumes how counter-productive as a nation we are. For 25 years, I have been pushing for national security to come in the public domain in the belief that in a democracy it is the common man who has to learn to defend the national interests. Today, I find a lot of interest in the younger generation who read about foreign relations and international affairs. They try to interpret it from an Indian viewpoint and see what is suitable for India. Very healthy trend.

Tell us about the defence procurement policy. It seems that it has been a bad year for Army, with many deals stalled. Do you see a way out?

The last few years have been bad.

Do you see the origin of the cumbersome new regulations in the Bofors scam?

My take is different. The government has been very shortsighted. When such thing happens, we immediately blacklist the manufacturer. [In the case of guns], there are only a few vendors who can make the guns we need, may be four or five only. If you blacklist three or four out of them, with whom are you going to conduct business?

'To destroy a country, you create a scandal'

What about the spares for weapons?

You see how shortsighted it is? We did not have spares during Kargil conflict for Bofors guns. The person taking the bribe in Delhi should be considered more guilty and not the manufacturer. After all the vendor does not want to part with his money unless he finds that without giving money he can't do business. It is terribly wrong to put the onus on the manufacturer alone. If we do not have integrity in the ministry or amongst politicians, the fault is ours. And the scams should be investigated without stopping the modernisation of the Indian armed forces.

My third take, and this is particularly relevant to India ? if you want to destroy a country, you create a scandal. We are a democracy surrounded by a wall of totalitarian regimes on our land borders.

If anybody does not want us to be strong, they can intervene using the open media that India has, or use a lobby, create a scandal and stop the modernization of the Army. They do not have to go to war with India; they just have to stop the modernisation.

In addition, they can also use insurgency, infiltrations, or demographic assaults to subvert the system. There is a cost- benefit ratio for a country like China, not to go to war with India when they can subvert through other means.

Doesn't the Army ? or our politicians ? realise that enemies of India can subvert the Indian Defence preparedness through these tactics?

They are waking up to it, because a lot of this is now coming out in the media. Thanks to IDR effort. The changes are very slow. They need to be faster. Our country faces a different type of challenge on its borders. This is not happening with anybody else. India is a democracy, China does not like it; India is multicultural, pure Islamic countries do not like it. If India is successful, they won't be able to continue with their regressive regimes.

[For the procurement], the solution is: India has to invite foreign countries to manufacture in India. For example, India can have joint ventures with friendly countries.

Do you mean collaboration as in the case of the Brahmos missiles?

Yes. Like Shakti engine being developed with SAFRAN or Boeing and Airbus chipping in for a large maintenance facility or the transfer of technology in Scorpene taking place with the help of Thales. The West has financial muscle and technology, which India needs to bring every man jack in to the middle class. The West needs a market and young demographic profile with skills to remain ahead in cutting edge research. India provides both. I visited a satellite manufacturing facility near Paris. There were only two guys checking the panels. It is a cumbersome process. The CEO told me, "if they go on leave we are behind schedule for a month. We don't have the young population that we need like you do". In India, we have them.

'We got both, the weapons and the best education'

Another point for the European manufacturers: it is becoming too expensive to produce in the Euro zone due to the dollar parity?

That is true. In addition India is considered safe and has the requisite brainpower. This is an acknowledged fact. Further, there is a lot of synergy between the democratic, liberal values of the West and ours.

So when nobody was willing to supply weapons to New Delhi to meet the security threats, it went to the Soviet Union while the young went and studied in the best Western universities.

They did not settle down in Russia or China but in the West. By default this worked out to India's advantage! We got both, the weapons and the best education

What about the French?

The French were selective. For example, you could not get missiles. But the Russians would give them. The Germans would give you something for the Navy, but not for the Army, because of the land forces equation they wanted to maintain between India and Pakistan.

After we exploded the nuke in 1998, we had an Indo-French strategic seminar in Paris. I talked to the Admiral who was in charge of the strategic cell in the French Defence Ministry. At that time, he told me: "Name what you want, we will give it, tell your government". They have been more like Russia though they have their limitations being part of the Western Alliance. That's fair. They even indicated help for nuclear submarines or an aircraft carrier but unfortunately we did not take up the offer. Today, it is in India's interests to modernise and move up.

Rao Inderjit Singh, Minister of State for Defense, has said the government was considering 'registering' middlemen. What do you have to say?

Using middlemen is a normal trade practice. Even if the government says, "no middlemen", it is impossible not to have a middleman. Every business in the world is conducted with the help of a middleman. If you go to the church, the priest is the middleman; the poojari is the middleman in the temple. Nothing moves without a middleman.

Particularly with the Government of India?

I never agreed with this [no middleman] business; we wrote about it in the IDR. I am glad that the government is rethinking its stand. It is a good thing. The problem is that since 1947 we have been too emotional and not pragmatic enough on national security issues. We need to shift to pragmatism.

'The Americans are the best at marketing'

Do you see the US coming in the Indian defense sector in a big way?

The Americans are the best at marketing. They work very hard at it, wining, dining, hype, and sales. Most of their products are superb. Next to them are Germans who are good at it.

The British knew India better than everybody else, but this does not help so much today. The French and the Israelis (even if the latter don't speak much) are in India in a big way. We need large technology transfers and joint ventures.

The figures are mind-boggling. Therefore, all these countries can end up with substantial stakes. Similarly, we can reverse leverage that in the international community to further our national interests.

In my view, we should immediately increase FDI in defence sector from 26 to 49 per cent. This will heighten the stakes of the foreign companies in India as also ensure deeper transfer of technologies to us. During a critical period like war, these companies with high stakes cannot just run away. SAFRAN or Boeing will not be allowed to.

Why don't we display confidence and deal more maturely on this issue? Let these foreign companies set up shop in India, let them increase their stakes in the Indian market, so that neither party will want to run away from each other.

About the recent intrusions in Ladakh and Arunachal. Why does the Army deny the intrusions?

All armies in the world say what their government says. For example, when a senior officer recently made remarks against Russia, it was not correct. There can't be two foreign policy centres. The Army has to inform the government about the situation on ground clearly. To my knowledge they are doing it. Whatever incursions have taken place has been recorded with the Ministry of Defence.

Today, the country is going through a major transition. The younger generation has just started taking over. This transition will be completed by 2012. Then India will not be as 'pacifist' as it is today. It will be more assertive as you saw it happening in Australia recently. The problem is that New Delhi is still ruled by people born under foreign domination. Mostly they were told what to do. Analysis was the forte of the foreign master. Today, the younger generation is street smart, confident, and well educated. Their assertiveness by 2012 will start changing the soft, irrational and passive policies towards China exercised by the present set up. It will be far more assertive and equipped with sufficient power to take on such adversaries in our vicinity.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

I can't find a suitable thread,perhaps we should start a new one on Obituaries/international news.This is an obit. on a famous German WW2 hero,involved in the assassination plots against Hitler.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obitu ... boeselager

Philipp von Boeselager: German officer who took part in plots to assassinate Adolf Hitler

Boeselager obeyed orders and did not carry out the planned assassination of Hitler
5 May 2008

Philipp von Boeselager was haunted for most of his life by the fact that, as a 25-year-old lieutenant, he could have killed the man he recognised as a despot and a mass murderer, Adolf Hitler, but failed to do so. The Nazi leader was at most two feet away. "Ja, ich sehe immer noch Hitler . . . vor mir gehen und denke, hättest du ihn doch erschossen." ("Yes, I still see Hitler . . . in front of me and think, you should have shot him.")

It was 13 March 1943, Boeselager worked for Field Marshal Günther von Kluge, and on the Eastern Front things were not looking good. The Sixth Army had been destroyed at Stalingrad. Hitler arrived by plane and was due to eat with Kluge's officers in the Russian city of Smolensk. Originally, the intention had been to shoot Hitler during the meal. However, at the last minute, the Field Marshal, a wavering conspirator, called it off.

He had various reservations, including the consideration that other high-ranking officers might be killed in the likely chaos. There was also the thought that Heinrich Himmler or Hermann Goering, who were not present in Smolensk, would be able to take over immediately word got out that Hitler was dead and that this could lead to civil war. Boeselager obeyed orders and did not carry out the assassination. This was one of several planned attempts on the life of Hitler which culminated in the failed bomb plot of 20 July 1944 led by Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg, after which many of the conspirators were executed.

Philipp von Boeselager was the fifth of nine children, born in 1917 at Burg Heimerzheim near Bonn. His aristocratic Catholic parents sent him to a Jesuit boarding school and on gaining his university matriculation in 1936, Philipp followed his older brother, Georg, into the 15th cavalry regiment. He was commissioned as a lieutenant on 1 September 1938, exactly a year before the outbreak of the Second World War.

His first wartime assignment was to lead a reconnaissance company into Poland. He took part in the invasion of the Soviet Union in June 1941, and was severely wounded in December that year. But by early in 1942, he was back on active service, appointed Ordonnanzoffizier (aide-de-camp) to Field Marshal Günther von Kluge. Boeselager soon became aware of crimes being committed behind the German lines. In Maj-Gen Henning von Tresckow, Kluge's chief of staff, he found a sympathetic ear for his moral concerns. Tresckow was building up a group of officers (who included Stauffenberg) prepared to overthrow Hitler.

After the failed assassination of 1943, Boeselager was given the task by Treschow of obtaining explosive material for an attempt on Hitler's life to be made by Stauffenberg by planting a bomb at Hitler's headquarters Wolfsschanze (Wolf's Lair) in East Prussia. He chose a captured English device because its fuse was silent. Boeselager took the explosive in a suitcase to Wolf's Lair, where he handed it over to a fellow conspirator, Maj-Gen Helmuth Stieff.

Shortly before the assassination attempt on 20 July, Boeselager was on his way to Brest-Litowsk with 1,000 cavalrymen, who remained ignorant of their true mission. In the event of the plot being successful, from there they were to go by plane to Berlin's main airport, Tempelhof, to help seize control of the capital. Hidden in a bag under a table at Wolf's Lair, the bomb exploded, but the solid leg of the table absorbed much of the blast, and Hitler was only slightly injured. As the putsch failed, Boeselager's troops were returned to the front.

The plotters were ruthlessly tracked down by the Gestapo, tortured, ridiculed in show trials and executed. Boeselager took to carrying a cyanide capsule in his mouth, but those of his comrades who knew of his resistance activities kept quiet. Kluge used his capsule, Stauffenberg was shot, Tresckow blew himself up, Stieff was hanged. Boeselager's brother Georg, also a plotter, died in action. Involved in heavy fighting during the long retreat, Philipp von Boeselager was promoted to major and, already the holder of several medals, in 1944 was awarded the coveted Ritterkreuz (Knight's Cross). When the war ended, he was commanding a cavalry regiment in Austria.

Aged 28 at the war's end, he took up the study of economics and in 1948 married a fellow economics graduate and aristocrat, Rosa Maria von Westphalen; they went on to have four children. Boeselager worked on his family estate and attempted to represent the interests of the agricultural communities of Rhineland-Palatinate. However, his long years in uniform, and his very survival, drew him back to the military.

When the new West German armed forces were being established in 1955, he offered his services. He was invited to join the committee vetting former officers of the Wehrmacht who had volunteered for the new armed forces, the Bundeswehr. He served until the committee was disbanded in 1957. As a reservist lieutenant-colonel, he took part in manoeuvres with the Bundeswehr, Nato and with the Bundesnachrichtendienst, the Federal Intelligence Service.

Boeselager was increasingly recognised for his anti-Hitler activities. Along with Gerhard Schröder, Jacques Chirac, George Bush and leaders from 16 states, he took part in 2004 in the meeting celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Allied D-Day landings in Normandy. Earlier that year, Boeselager had been appointed an officer of the Légion d'honneur. He received the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany for his work in forestry.

Boeselager was curious about the film Valkyrie, due out next year, which stars Tom Cruise as Stauffenberg. "It's good that at last Hollywood has taken up 20 July 1944," he said. "They should have done it sooner." Up until his death, he kept the Walther PP pistol he was supposed to have shot Hitler with.

David Childs

Philipp von Boeselager, soldier: born Burg Heimerzheim, Germany 6 September 1917; married 1948 Rosa Maria von Westphalen (two sons, two daughters); died Altenahr, Germany 1 May 2008.
jmaxwell
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jmaxwell »

not sure if this is the right place but saw a wonderful interview with P. Chidambaram here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7zmzw5WV-RA
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Re: Magazine and Media Watch/Review

Post by Rishi »

I happened to visit the DSSC Wellingdon website, and saw that they had made the college annual publication, public.
In the absence of BRM/SRR, here is something for us Armchair jingos to chew on:
The Spring 2008 Issue http://www.dssc.gov.in/Trishul/Index.pdf

The TOC is:
ARTICLES
1. ETHICS, VALUES, MORALITY AND 21ST CENTURY WARFARE - P K Mallick ... 1
2. EMERGING INDO-CHINA RELATIONS AND THEIR IMPACT ON MILITARY OPERATIONS - RK Mehta ... 17
3. CYBER WARFARE AND NETWORK CENTRIC WARFARE - Y K Gera ... 26
4. RESTRUCTURING MILITARY ORGANISATIONS FOR NETWORK CENTRIC WARFARE (NCW) - Manoj Rawat ... 38
5. EMERGING INDO-CHINA RELATIONS AND THEIR IMPACT ON MILITARY OPERATIONS - S Dhakate ... 45
6. MULTINATIONAL COOPERATION FOR ENHANCING MARITIME SECURITY - INFORMATION SHARING - Atul K Rastogi ... 55

ABRIDGED VERSION
7. STRATEGIC CHALLENGES IN THE MANAGEMENT OF NETWORK CENTRIC WARFARE - Abridged Joint Research Project ... 61
8. GLOBALISATION AND ITS IMPACT ON NATIONAL SECURITY - Abridged Joint Research Project... 76
9. INFRASTRUCTURE AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT - KEY TO ACCELERATED GROWTH OF THE INDIAN ECONOMY - Abridged Joint Research Project ... 86

BOOK REVIEWS
10. MILITARY AND MEDIA - Sanjeev Langeh ... 98
11. PSYCHOLOGICAL WARFARE AND INDIA - V Sreehari ... 103
12. A REGION IN TURMOIL - GS Panaich ... 107
13. MAKING SENSE OF CHINDIA : REFLECTIONS ON CHINA AND INDIA - Tumul Varma ... 110
14. CHINA’S DEMOCRATIC FUTURE : HOW IT WILL HAPPEN AND WHERE IT WILL LEAD - Atul Dewan ... 112
15. WATER RESOURCES SECTOR STRATEGY: STRATEGIC DIRECTIONS FOR WORLD BANK ENGAGEMENT - BR Singh ... 114
16. CHINESE STRATEGIC CULTURE AND MILITARY INNOVATION FROM THE NUCLEAR AGE TO THE INFORMATION AGE - SP Dharkar ... 118
17. PAKISTAN: BETWEEN MOSQUE AND MILITARY - V Rajagopalan ... 120
The 1st article carries a few tit-bits of some of the morally ambiguous situations army men might face on the field (specially CI).

Also, the possible TOC for upcoming Autumn 2008 issue is:
SUGGESTED THEMES FOR TRISHUL JOURNAL
(AUTUMN 2008 ISSUE)
1. Emerging Situation in Pakistan Post Elections & its Impact on Indo-Pak Peace Process.
2. Deception in Present Day Battlefield.
3. Naxalite Threat in India & its Implications with Focus on Possible Employment of Indian Army in the Future Scenario.
4. Central Asian Region - Strategic Significance for India.
5. Do Sevices Need to Adapt Their Work and Social Culture, in Face of the Changing Socio-Economic Milieu all around.
6. Necessity and Feasibility of Functional Commands.
7. Out of Area Contingency : Are we prepared?
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

New issue of Covert is online

http://www.covert.co.in/
Have you ever heard a cake crumble? Byline - M.J. Akbar
WE KNOW, BUT WE DON’T SAY Off - Limits - Seema Mustafa
Our cities will soon die of thirst, greed - Leaders & Misleaders | Kuldip Nayar
WE DID A GOOD JOB, & THERE’S PROOF NOW - Economics | Yashwant Sinha
Cover Story | THE Return OF Khalistan by Seema Mustafa
Strategic Imperative | Cirus is Testament to PM’s Double Talk by Brahma Chellaney
Police & State | INDIA's cheapest BONDED LABOUR by V. Balachandran
Law, History & Order | music, jamila were gems of arab art- Arif Mohammed Khan
Wide Angle | Deoband Arithmetic mustn't have division By Saeed Naqvi
Periscope | A glance at what is brewing beneath the surface
KNIGHT TAKES KING | How nuclear deal endgame was played out By Seema Mustafa
“I am also my mother’s son” | Omar Abdullah
Game, Seth & Match | THE DAMAGE BEING DONE By Suhel Seth
special report | Windfall for oilbarons | explains how they are getting rich at our expense by Suman Sinha
Human Wrongs | justice delayed is justice destroyed By Teesta Setalvad
Learning Curve | shoddy leaders have ignored quality by J.S. Rajput
Books | 1965 THE BATTLE FOR LAHORE
Maverick | When the fizz of karma cola goes flat by Farzana Versey
Itihaas | THE PRICE OF INTERNET INTELLECTUALISM IS HIGH By Akhilesh Mithal
powerstar | MURLI DEORA it's oil about hawa By Veenu Sandal
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

http://www.drdo.org/

Must Watch : "The Inside Story" in Zee News TV Channel on 02 August 2008 at 2130 hrs. The feature will include interview of Dr W Selvamurthy, CC R&D (LS & HR) & DS and also cover the development of LCA-Tejas and MBT-Arjun
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

NDTV's jai jawan will feature dhoni in some AFB with Mig-27s. not sure which one but looks like in western India. hsa some nice shots of the flogger.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Here is an email from Mayurica of Times Now channel - forwarded to me by someone
 Hi

Is there some way I can spread the word on BR that 'LINE OF DUTY' (A
television series on the Indian armed forces) is being re-telecast on Times
Now.

Every Saturday at 22:30 hrs & Sunday at 1230 & 2130 hrs.

Thanks & Regards

Mayurica
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

^ Shiv she has posted that info in Psy ops and Media watch
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 89#p622589
Mayurica wrote: Just wanted to let everyone at BR know that 'Line of Duty' is being re-telecast on TIMES NOW. For everyone who had missed the series earlier, do tune in every Saturday at 22:30; & Sunday at 12:30 & 21:30hrs. Also, do spread the word.
mayurica
krishna_j
BRFite -Trainee

Post by krishna_j »

March AFM has an article by Phil Camp on 45 years of the Mig with the IAF with some rare photos - hope to get a copy
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Avinash R wrote:^ Shiv she has posted that info in Psy ops and Media watch
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 89#p622589
Mayurica wrote: Just wanted to let everyone at BR know that 'Line of Duty' is being re-telecast on TIMES NOW. For everyone who had missed the series earlier, do tune in every Saturday at 22:30; & Sunday at 12:30 & 21:30hrs. Also, do spread the word.
mayurica
In fact those repeat programs are just not appearing as announced :(
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

shiv wrote:In fact those repeat programs are just not appearing as announced :(
shiv for the past few days my cablewalla has blanked out that channel.
Based on your info i posted a complainant on their feedback form. http://www.timesnow.tv/frmAddFeedBack.aspx
Let's see if they reply back.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

shiv wrote: In fact those repeat programs are just not appearing as announced :(
:-?
I have been watching them the last two weeks at 2230 Sat!!!!

Last week was the Mahajan ranges ep on the T-72 and the week before that was the Siachen episode...
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

sum wrote:
shiv wrote: In fact those repeat programs are just not appearing as announced :(
:-?
I have been watching them the last two weeks at 2230 Sat!!!!

Last week was the Mahajan ranges ep on the T-72 and the week before that was the Siachen episode...
Sum last Saturday it was Filmfare awards at 22-30
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

sum don't know when you were watching, I couldn't see it sunday before last.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

shiv wrote: Sum last Saturday it was Filmfare awards at 22-30
:shock: :shock:
WTF did i watch then?? :-?

Guess my mind is playing tricks though i still remember the ep showing the T-72 etc. Cant remember if i watched it at some other time...
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

sum wrote:
shiv wrote: Sum last Saturday it was Filmfare awards at 22-30
:shock: :shock:
WTF did i watch then?? :-?

Guess my mind is playing tricks though i still remember the ep showing the T-72 etc. Cant remember if i watched it at some other time...
Well the only time I haven't checked is Sunday 12-30. I was ready to record at the two other times and didn't get it.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

krishna_j wrote:March AFM has an article by Phil Camp on 45 years of the Mig with the IAF with some rare photos - hope to get a copy
I think Feb Issue of Air international has a story on Indian MiGs by Dave Willis and Photos by Simon.

Not much there for grizzlies like us so you can give it a pass
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

^^Ok here's the reply from TimesNow on the program.
Dear sir,
regarding your query on the timings of the show Line of Duty, the
telecast timings are
Saturday at 10.30pm
Sunday at 4.30pm (Sunday timings are sometimes subject to change but
you can always get the latest information on this on the lowermost
scroll saturday morning onwards as it carries all the weekend show
names and their timings )

regards
Times Now team
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

I still feel i watched the programme at 2230 Sat!!! :oops: :oops:
Am i getting some Martian feed which no one else can see?
shetty
BRFite

Re:

Post by shetty »

BajKhedawal
BRFite

Post by BajKhedawal »

I couldn’t find the Elections thread, probably got shaheedized in the recent carpet bombing by admins. So posting this here.
I think Armed forces should kick such cowardly babus in the nuts, for making such outlandish claims So flippantly . I particularly found the quoted section very offensive:

Political party bribed Army for poll rigging: EC
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Poli ... 613794.cms
"We realised that the commanding officers of these forces were being approached by a political party and they were being bribed. And these soldiers had been told to just say 'yes sir.'

"There is no other word in their dictionary. So if a commanding officer says 'just vote for this man', all the soldiers will vote for that man," Quraishi said, answering a question about whether India - like Britain - faced problems with postal ballot fraud.
As always one can always count on the daily rag to include an == with Pakistan.
Six Pakistani-origin men were jailed for a total of more than 13 years last month after a major police investigation into an attempt to rig local council elections by fixing ballot papers in the London suburb of Slough.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

SP Aviation Magazine PDF downloads are available at Scribd

http://www.scribd.com/spguide
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Force Magazine has become available at news stands in India. Have been buying for a couple of months. Lets see.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

For some reason, HT seems to be anti-IPL. :-?

They seem to be blastin the IPL organisers mercilessly and are making more pro-Paki statements than the Pakis themselves ( while displaying a ticker about Pak based LeT terrorists about to hit India)
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Couldn't find the right thread to post this ...

Good article, read it fully...

'Strategic Weapons Have To Be In Place', Kalam -- Annual Field Marshal K M Cariappa Memorial Lecture
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I post this here because of a thought I had triggered by a news item posted elsewhere in this forum.

I have often pointed out that the military-industrial complex of the US/west combines with its media dimiinance to produce a hyped up image of arms and systems that "go viral" and become legends which later help sales and reputation. Over the months and years I have picked up and posted several buzzwords that are used again and again and again to describe power, awe, greatness and the general state of being admirable - usually of some US entity.

The words/phrases that have come into common usage are "shock and awe", "rolling thunder", "bomb truck" "supercruise". In fact "fast food" is also one such term

Anyhow here is a new one. The website does not normally use such language - but here it is. This weapon is called "whup ass". When read by enthusiasts such as we have on BR or when such an expression is broadcast on Discovery channel - the expression "whup ass" becomes associated with this particular weapon. Even if a competing weapon is as good or better - once the minds are grabbed by the buzzword they will stay loyal to this one. It matters little that the Eurofighter and Gripen can also (also ran?) supercruise - but you ask the less discerning enthusiast about supercruise and he will likely name you-know-what.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/Ind ... Ass-05100/
India Requests GPS-Guided “Cans of Whup-Ass”
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Petition for Late Wing Cdr Jetly's family to get his dues - To be finally emailed to A K Anthony

Hi all,

After the eye opening stories about Late Wing Cdr Jetly's wife running from pillar to post for 1 year asking her late husbands financial dues to be released (link), Tarmak007 has started this petition to get enough voices behind this issue. The final petition is to be submitted to the Defence Minister. I encourage you to read the blog post and also view the petition.
Please put in your signatures - it will take a minute but might save a brave pilot's wife a lot of agony.

thanks,
-Nikhil
PS: I'm in no way connected with the blog.
Raghavendra
BRFite

Post by Raghavendra »

^Done, put it in Nukkad for high visibility and votes
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Shiv ji, the phrase derives from 'I'm gonna open a can of whup-ass all over that punk' or similar that was coined in one of the many action movies from Hollywood and is part of the american lexicon when refering to fist fights and similar. I guess in this case, the weapon being largely 'cans' has easily picked up the viral marketing tags

nice observation
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Good article +++
Samay
BRFite

Post by Samay »

Crab syndrome is simply called the Indian beaurocracy . Its present in every organisation even in our culture
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

Jagan wrote:
krishna_j wrote:March AFM has an article by Phil Camp on 45 years of the Mig with the IAF with some rare photos - hope to get a copy
I think Feb Issue of Air international has a story on Indian MiGs by Dave Willis and Photos by Simon.

Not much there for grizzlies like us so you can give it a pass

Just in case if someone wanted it... :mrgreen:

http://ifile.it/9djsxk4/Mig%20Artilcle% ... tional.rar
http://ifile.it/n5fo9hm/Mig%20Article%202%20AFM.rar
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Is it the right place to post this article from IDR ?

Making of an Indian Army Soldier

The Kanchas (young men) recruited by the Recruiting Depots and BRO are raw village boys. Rustic in the extreme, often semi-literate, with no concept of discipline, training, esprit de corps, or familiarity with technology. What they do have is a burning desire to serve in the Gorkha Regiments of the Indian Army, to follow in the glorious footsteps of their illustrious forbears and keep alive a tradition that is now close to two mountain villages for days to reach the Recruiting Centres. The trek is often one that would tax even the most experienced mountaineers. Nevertheless, they are put through a rigorous selection procedure including a medical fitness test before being signed on.

It is this eager but totally raw youth that the 39 GTC will mould and polish over the next eleven months to turn out some of the finest fighting troops in the entire world. A soldier whose discipline, dedication to duty, loyalty and ferocious fighting spirit is remembered with awe by all who have had to face the blood-curdling battle cry of Ayo Gorkhali – The Gorkhas have arrived!
Read in full
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

jamwal wrote:Is it the right place to post this article from IDR ?

Making of an Indian Army Soldier

The Kanchas (young men) recruited by the Recruiting Depots and BRO are raw village boys. Rustic in the extreme, often semi-literate, with no concept of discipline, training, esprit de corps, or familiarity with technology. What they do have is a burning desire to serve in the Gorkha Regiments of the Indian Army, to follow in the glorious footsteps of their illustrious forbears and keep alive a tradition that is now close to two mountain villages for days to reach the Recruiting Centres. The trek is often one that would tax even the most experienced mountaineers. Nevertheless, they are put through a rigorous selection procedure including a medical fitness test before being signed on.

It is this eager but totally raw youth that the 39 GTC will mould and polish over the next eleven months to turn out some of the finest fighting troops in the entire world. A soldier whose discipline, dedication to duty, loyalty and ferocious fighting spirit is remembered with awe by all who have had to face the blood-curdling battle cry of Ayo Gorkhali – The Gorkhas have arrived!
Read in full
Lovely article!
krishna_j
BRFite -Trainee

Revell Mig 25 1/48 IAF

Post by krishna_j »

Revell has released an IAF Mig -25 in 1/48 series

KP554, 102 Squadron, Indian Air Force 1985

Link : http://www.revell.com/model-kits/aircraft/85-5860.html
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

narmad
BRFite

Post by narmad »

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Apart from NatGeos' "Mission Army" mentioned in another thread I saw a great program on Army Aviation - in the Army Aviation Combat Training school called "Jai Hind" on NDTV Good Times with those two foodies Rocky and that other guy.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

shiv wrote:Apart from NatGeos' "Mission Army" mentioned in another thread I saw a great program on Army Aviation - in the Army Aviation Combat Training school called "Jai Hind" on NDTV Good Times with those two foodies Rocky and that other guy.
Actually all the "Jai Hind shows" of these guys are amazing.

I had caught the episode on one of the Kilo subs, the Army aviation school and one of the IA regimenst.

The one on viraat is yet to be shown. The IN sub pics on Rocky's Facebook page are mindblowing though..