DEFEXPO 2010

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
D Roy
BRFite

Re: DEFEXPO 2010

Post by D Roy »

By the way,

visitors were not allowed to touch the INSAS rifles.

however had great fun at the Sig-Sauer stall.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

The LCH has a ceiling of over 21000 feet way better than the newest Kamovs and Mils.
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

D Roy wrote:By the way,

visitors were not allowed to touch the INSAS rifles.

however had great fun at the Sig-Sauer stall.
Yup. Unfortunately for me, by the time I turned up at the SIG stall, a not-so-pleasant looking chap had decided that enough was enough. But I did get the awesome glossy, all-colour,35-page SIG catalogue. Hope you got it as well!
sunny_s
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sunny_s »

Back from defeexpo..loved it
nOw some news Arjun will be getting follow up orders,after the trials,on an interesting note i was told that Arjun uses certain electronics that are onboard the isreali Merkeva AND Abrhams tanks,used for detection of mines,when asked about why the Indian army was stressing more on the need of having more T-90's over arjun,the officer said that the army wants a mix of both.thermal imagner of the arjun tank was something which gave it a cut above??,the ergonomics inside the tank was something the tank crew loved.Also got an opportunity to go inside the command vehicle of the rohini radar,will be posting pics soon. The F-INSAS progm. did not show any new caliber weapon,which was much talked about,but a good demonstration was given,i have the video and wil be uploading that too.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

----self deleted---
Last edited by nachiket on 18 Feb 2010 21:39, edited 2 times in total.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

I've managed to upload most of the pictures on my blog. Few interesting types are
I still have some good pictures from L&T, DRDO's remotely deployed vehicles and most of foreign vendor displays left. L&T had Brahmos fire control system on display that used a track-ball ..just point-and-shoot. 8) Taking pictures was not allowed though. Sunny, was taking pics of Rohini C&C allowed ?
Last edited by jamwal on 18 Feb 2010 22:41, edited 2 times in total.
sunny_s
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sunny_s »

sunny_s
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sunny_s »

KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

For all who have pics from DEFEXPO ---

Upload your photos on Bharat Rakshak Gallery. First register a new account and upload your photos. We don't want the photos to be lost over time.

Register for BR gallery here
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

well..many of us have almost same photos of same thing taken from not so different angle. I have nearly 430 pics. Is there some way to avoid duplication ?
sunny_s
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sunny_s »

ARJUN TANK

sunny_s
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sunny_s »

merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

sunny_s wrote:Back from defeexpo..loved it
nOw some news Arjun will be getting follow up orders,after the trials,on an interesting note i was told that Arjun uses certain electronics that are onboard the isreali Merkeva AND Abrhams tanks,used for detection of mines,when asked about why the Indian army was stressing more on the need of having more T-90's over arjun,the officer said that the army wants a mix of both.thermal imagner of the arjun tank was something which gave it a cut above??,the ergonomics inside the tank was something the tank crew loved.Also got an opportunity to go inside the command vehicle of the rohini radar,will be posting pics soon. The F-INSAS progm. did not show any new caliber weapon,which was much talked about,but a good demonstration was given,i have the video and wil be uploading that too.
The pictures from the command vehicle of the Rohini radar would be interesting to see. Back in the day, JCage and I had the privilege to get inside the command vehicle of the 3-D CAR radar invited by the big man himself - will be nice to see if there have been any changes from Aero India 2005.
sunny_s
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sunny_s »

THE F-INSAS

sunny_s
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sunny_s »

sunny_s
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sunny_s »

INSIDE of a bmp 2 vehicle it acts as a command centre for the F-INSAS equipped soldiers,who transfre real time information like the the position frm where the enemies are firing,enemy moment,concentartion points for hostiles via text msgs,the bmp command vehicle then passes it on the base

sunny_s
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sunny_s »

After reading alot on the forums regarding the F-INSAS gear,the actaul gear was really a bit dissapointing,the new multi caliber gun was missing,i was told that if a soldier was to charge his gadgets he will be able to do it from the command bmp vehicle
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

March-May seems like an interesting period for India's defence procurement -
1) Arjun Vs. T-90
2) Phalcon # 2
3) EJ-200 vs. F-414 decision
4) Radar integrated LCA.
5) LCH

All good, get the pop corn ready! I am sure I missed something.

CM.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Knew it! This year has been a good one so far, and it seems it'll only get better - Pakfa, Agni, Shaurya, so far, tons more to come. What an innings!

CM.
sunny y
BRFite

Post by sunny y »

manish wrote:Some photos.
The MSMC. This was kept on a rotating pedestal which kept spinning way too fast for my liking. Shown with a MARS sight here.

MSMSC looks really sleek & lethal. 8)
Thank god they didn't put that orange furniture similiar to INSAS here.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

KrishG wrote:For all who have pics from DEFEXPO ---

Upload your photos on Bharat Rakshak Gallery. First register a new account and upload your photos. We don't want the photos to be lost over time.

Register for BR gallery here
second that. uploading on BR would ensure that your photos don't just disappear one fine morning. the photos will be there on the site for ever. they will appear under your registered name, so have no fear about anyone else using them as their own.
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

Time for some brochure uploads. Sorry for the atrocious quality. Don't have a scanner handy and don't have enough time either.

BTW Rahul M, will load things up on the BR Gallery for sure. Leave them here for the time being. I had uploaded these pics to Flickr before I saw your post.

First up, the OFB 105mm tracked SPG on BMP II Chassis. Might be a Cheap 'N Cheerful way to make up the numbers in the short to medium term. As GD says, this is the kinda thing that the Chicoms seem to excel in.
manish wrote:While everyone is caught up in the Bhim/Denel T6 heavy SPG mess, looks like OFB has gone ahead and made its own little 105mm tracked SPG.
They had brochures of a an SPG that brings together a turret mounted version of the old 105mm LFG and the BMP II chassis.

As per the brochure, the SPG has a crew of 5, weighs 16T, and can carry 42 rounds internally. It has a max speed of 65kmph and has options like an autoloader, composite armour turret, FCS (why optional? - probably they mean a more advanced one) and increased ammo carrying capacity (92 vs 42) among others.

The gun has a range of 19km and can fire HE, HEAT, HESH, APDS, Smoke and Colour rounds.

The specs page on the OFB SPG
Last edited by manish on 19 Feb 2010 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

Now for the Bhim brochure. Posting the larger image due to the terrible resolution on the pic. Apologies in advance. Will change to medium sized if the forum formatting gets screwed up.

The spec sheet.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

manish thanks
no need to apologise for the quality etc. - its fine
neeraj
BRFite

Post by neeraj »

Good to know BHIM has MRSI.
Purely on specs compares well with the much fabled PZH 2000
Time to order Bhim in numbers
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Pzh and Bhim are spec-wise much superior to the AS90 and the M109. the AS90 is like a spaniel dog vs these large hunters. the M109 though proven is getting long in tooth. khan has no interest or funds to improve it, they will go with stryker cannons and tactical rockets/airpower etc. crusader is dead, long live da king.

now the question is which turret and cannon for bhim - we know the arjun half of it works fine in the more demanding regime of a MBT. denel T6 was already integrated and represents the easiest option than a new ganesha head like south korea.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... illery.jpg
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

^^^
GD, shall we consider the induction of 150 Bhims == induction of 150 Pzh 2000s then?
:mrgreen: :D :twisted: :twisted:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

manish wrote:^^^
GD, shall we consider the induction of 150 Bhims == induction of 150 Pzh 2000s then?
:mrgreen: :D :twisted: :twisted:
don't ! suddenly singha ji too shall disappear from BR like rakman ! :lol:
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

Somebody mentioned Punj Lloyd in the Small Arms thread. They have lined up significant investment plans in the sector. Here's a shot of an info board from their stall where they also displayed a 155mm Howitzer, a tracked vehicle named 'Warthog' amongst a host of other equipment primarily sourced from ST Kinetics.

People here have complained about the OFB MPV being bought despite the presence of privately mfged options. Other considerations aside, it does seem to have an interesting feature set in the Recce/Recovery model form called 'Yukti Rath'.

Managed to sneak a peek into the driver's cabin of the Tata MPV on display. Moi boor SDRE arms had trouble even moving the super-heavy doors on that thingy. As somebody who had never 'touched' armoured vehicles before, that was some experience indeed!

Check out the interiors on the Tata LSV. The plastic quality notwithstanding, the interiors are a definite step up over the current crop of such vehicles the Jawans get to use. Note the absence of a clutch - it has an auto tranny.
Last edited by manish on 19 Feb 2010 21:13, edited 4 times in total.
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

a big thank you to all br forumites for posting the photographs. i thoroughly enjoy going through them!
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

pkudva
BRFite

Post by pkudva »

I have seen in most of the expo's , the product shown will only be in the showcas rather than actual orders.

I feel sincerely that MPV's from the private sectors shoould be ordered along with 105mm thing from the OFB. Further on the BHIM the pic shown looks more like the denel thing and it has surfaced abt 10 years after it was originally shown.

I seriously think perople in the Defence Ministry should start looks at this as a strategic assests and order in good numbers and their requirement is huge in the armed forces.

Further i have seen India wastes too much of time in testing and armed forces also show enough resistance in accepting them even though they meet the "DGCQA" requirements.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

^^
Kakarat
Brahmos launch assembly in L&T section

Some more photos
Mahindra BAE

AKASH

PAD

Shaurya

Arjun

Pinaka

DRDO

DRDO -II

DRDO - III

Brahmos on Sukhoi

L&T

HAL

Others 1

Others 2
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

pkudva wrote:I have seen in most of the expo's , the product shown will only be in the showcas rather than actual orders.

I feel sincerely that MPV's from the private sectors shoould be ordered along with 105mm thing from the OFB. Further on the BHIM the pic shown looks more like the denel thing and it has surfaced abt 10 years after it was originally shown.

I seriously think perople in the Defence Ministry should start looks at this as a strategic assests and order in good numbers and their requirement is huge in the armed forces.

Further i have seen India wastes too much of time in testing and armed forces also show enough resistance in accepting them even though they meet the "DGCQA" requirements.
The trend the world over is to move field artillery to 155mm caliber. From WWI it was 75mm->105mm->155mm.

So this 105mm is a retrograde step. Its nice they can do that but it will be a logistics nightmare and short range weapon. Gen. KSji's plan was to have an all 155mm arty force and the Bofors scam torpedoed that grand vision. Since then it has been moving in fits and starts and periodical scams by politicians and their babus.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

ramana ji, being based on BMP chasis, it is probably meant for highly mobile units and mountain forces, not the big heavy plains armoured forces. if so, it's not a retrograde step by any stretch of imagination. even US had a 105mm howitzer armed stryker in development in co-operation with denel. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... av-sph.htm

of course, id they can develop a version with the M777 mounted on it it will be even better.
soumik
BRFite

Post by soumik »

Kakarat wrote:Can anyone tell me what this is
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Dc2Wx4jR9F8/S ... MG2863.JPG

That is a vertical missile launch system from L&T, i saw it at the L&t stand however the guy there told me he was not allowed to talk about which missile it would use.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

nirbhay.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

One of these large house like tata or mahindra should just buy Denel out and out and move a lot of stuff to India.