RIP B Harry (1983-2007)

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: RIP B Harry

Post by Singha »

RIP sir, in your brief life you did more than most of us.
tragic :( :(
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

I keep on coming back to this thread with a secret hope that someone will prove this news hoax :(
krishna_j
BRFite -Trainee

Post by krishna_j »

Its a big loss to the ever shrinking genre of mil av contributors .

Harry's "scoops" were authentic and his eye for details was incredible .

he went to great lengths to preserve his identity and was completely paranoid as well .

I remember on one occasion in 2006 Shiv started questioning all the attendees in one of the rare BR Blr meets if any one of us was B Harry

The other anecdote is about the time when Harry wanted to purchase a copy of the seminal India Pakistan Air War book from the well known Indophile at large in Philly these days.

Surely he would need to reveal his name and address ....

Well as the story goes - he got it posted in the name of B.Harry at an unknown PO box address in Chennai.

Typically being Harry - it took two years for the sad news to come out - RIP B Harry
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

Damn, thats sad :cry:
RIP Harry, you will be missed.
Klaus
BRF Oldie

Post by Klaus »

The nation as well the enthusiastic jingoes on BRF have lost a valuable contributor! One cannot but help imagine the heights that this person could have scaled if he had lived longer.

My condolences go out to his grieving near and dear! Truly this is one person who lived life in his own distinct way, reminds me of Srinivasa Ramanujam!
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Shocking. I have also, like so many others wondered where he was. A rare talent taken away so prematurely. My condolences to his loved ones.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

I am shocked beyond words! My sincerest condolences to his family and friends. To lose someone at 23 must be heart-breaking.
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

RIP to a younger brother we are proud of and heartfelt condolences to his family.
shaardula
BRF Oldie

Post by shaardula »

such a young man!!
condolences to the family.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Tributes to a outstanding young man on a life well lived, may the mother India bless us with his return soon.
Y I Patel
BRFite

Post by Y I Patel »

To have life stretch out in its infinite possibilities, and then to see them all snuffed out so abruptly... unspeakably sad news. Condolences to the family and loved ones.

May your soul rest in peace, Harish. The few moments you shared with us will remain our memory of your short and sweet journey.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

My Condolences
kgoan
BRFite

Post by kgoan »

My sincerest condolences!

I'm simply staggered by his age. I still remember his meticulous taking apart, (with citations!) of "the-first-man-to-fly-faster-than-sounds" report of the PAF in 1965 at the Keymags forum. In fact, I'm fairly certain it was Harry who first posted the US Ambassadors actual report on that event!

And at the time he must have been just 18!!

His posts and articles on Tom Coopers ACIG site in those days were remarkable. In fact I remember a post of Toms saying that some of the IP addresses that accessed ACIG in those days were . . . quite "interesting"!

We all make jokes about internet "warriors", but Harry truly had the soul of a warrior with the mind of a scholar and a heart that beat for Bharat Mata.

A terrible tragedy.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

Its very unfornuate to see the message about him this way. I think i had a small discussion about him recently. Didnt expect I would be typing a condolence message. A suggestion - seeing the way the people are very fond of him, next time you people do activities like Donation of Quick clot kits, give his name. Or, any stall that BR put up, let that be in remembrance of him.

I see his name and LCA are in synonomous with each other as far as BR is concerned. May be someone could make a tribute by collecting all his articles and a report about him under the LCA page.
geeth
BRFite

Post by geeth »

My Heartfelt condolence to the bereaved family.
RIP Harish...considering your age, your knowledge level was remarkable.
BRF really miss him.
HariC
BRFite

Post by HariC »

I am very shocked at finding about this. I am on a self imposed exile due to various reasons. But this is so shocking I have to break it.

I never knew he was so young. Others have already said what Harry did in his so short life. But I would like to cover one aspect that has not been said here.

Harry loved picking fights with the pakis. he knew exactly what buttons to push. He was a born expert. But when he was elected the moderator at Key Forums, he didnt let his love for pushing paki buttons interfere with the forum moderation. As a forum moderator I have seen him calm, composed and responsible. I know it must have required tremendous self control not to break out and beat the pakis on their head, but to his credit, he held his opinion to himself, did his job with acumen that is not found elsewhere. He was fair in his dealings as far as I could tell.

Regarding him being anonymous - not really. I knew his last name was Kannan (dont ask me how). But I had no idea that Harry B was a derivation of his first name. RIP Harish.

(slinks back into the self imposed exile)
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

********************Announcement********************

Given the stellar space Harry had occupied in the small but active Indian defence enthusiast community, we feel that at the minimum, a meaningful tribute from BR should consist of a proper obit that would be published at SRR along with a collection of his articles.

This is a request that goes out to ALL readers of BRF, members & non-members alike, if you knew Harry in any capacity whether in real life or on net, and wish to contribute to his memorial page on BR, please contact us at
gentleman doTT cadet ATT g m a i l DOTT c o m.
We would like to have any kind of input from you, whether be it one incident, one memory or a complete obituary. That goes even if you have already posted in this thread.
MadhuG, please send us an email at that address.

It is our duty to ensure that the enormous promise that was so tragically cut-off is made known to a larger community of people than just the ones who were fortunate enough to interact with him. May there be a 100 Harry's inspired by his example.

Rahul.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

A tremendous loss
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I am totally shocked to lose a lovely internet friend. He was very informative and responsive to all my questions and posts. Suddenly he disappeared about 2 years ago, and I thought he might have taken different avatars.

This is saddening to hear at 23 he is gone.. But, I am sure he stays virtually alive in the NET with his articles and posts.

RIP Harry.

PS:
The coloradoan link says "Cause is unknown".
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Those who are needed Here are also needed There!!
RIP Brother.
Luxtor
BRFite

Post by Luxtor »

Rest in Peace Harry... :cry:
I'll miss you and your fabulous drawings of IAF aircraft.

It is sad that Harry has passed at such a young age. It happened two years ago in 2007 and we're just finding out? Hmmmm....
Maybe the sad news was discussed back then but many of us just missed it.

(My condolence message re-posted here from MRCA thread)
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

No it wasnt discussed AFAIK. Its just that he kept his real identity so secret that it took time to figure it out
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

What a shock and a loss. He will be missed. RIP and condolences to the family.
Manu
BRFite

Post by Manu »

The most unfair thing about a good life is the way it ends...that being said, Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.

Bhagwaan inki aatma ko shanti de

Sincerely,
Manu
Div
BRFite

Post by Div »

As mentioned numerous times in this thread, this is shocking.

RIP.
Jayram
BRFite

Post by Jayram »

Rest in Peace Brother.
You have lit a flame that will not be extinguished. We will carry that forward never letting it die.
Jai Hind
ashdivay
BRFite

Post by ashdivay »

This is truly a sad news. just the other day i was looking at some pictures he took. Jai Hind Harry Bhai.
sunny y
BRFite

Post by sunny y »

Rest In Peace Harry. May god bless your soul & give your family the strength to cope with this loss.
rags
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rags »

My condolences to the family.

RIP
saptarishi
BRFite

Post by saptarishi »

god bless him
may his soul rest in peace
BR will miss a patriot

hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare
hare ram hare ram ram ram hare hare
Willy
BRFite

Post by Willy »

May his soul rest in peace.

He used to admonish me on keypublishing for getting into flame wars with the paki's and chinese. :):):)
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

RIP Harry.

Curiously there was an obit even in the unmentionable forum.
Rahul Shukla
BRFite

Post by Rahul Shukla »

RIP Harry! :(
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Harry's father had recently got in touch with us. The family had very lovingly put together a tribute book about him. They offered to mail anyone a copy if they are interested. I had suggested that putting a PDF for download is more convenient as there may be quite a few dozen of us here interested.

He had very kindly made available the PDF version of the tribute book which can be viewed on Google Docs at
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B8 ... y=CPOqvfEH

You can directly download the PDF from https://docs.google.com/uc?export=downl ... y=CPOqvfEH
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Jagan wrote:Harry's father had recently got in touch with us. The family had very lovingly put together a tribute book about him. They offered to mail anyone a copy if they are interested. I had suggested that putting a PDF for download is more convenient as there may be quite a few dozen of us here interested.

He had very kindly made available the PDF version of the tribute book which can be viewed on Google Docs at

You can directly download the PDF from https://docs.google.com/uc?export=downl ... y=CPOqvfEH
That's utterly heartbreaking. RIP Harish.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Jagan wrote:Harry's father had recently got in touch with us. The family had very lovingly put together a tribute book about him. They offered to mail anyone a copy if they are interested. I had suggested that putting a PDF for download is more convenient as there may be quite a few dozen of us here interested.

A moving tribute indeed.

Good thinking Jagan. I have downloaded and saved a personal copy.
wig
BRF Oldie

Re: RIP B Harry (1983-2007)

Post by wig »

words fail me to express tribute to a person achieved so much so soon. i have downloaded and saved a copy of the pdf file.
rgsrini
BRFite

Post by rgsrini »

RIP Harry! Thank you for sharing your passion and part of your life with us. India is blessed to have had a son like you!
:( :(
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Such a heartbreaking tribute. I wish their parents strength. RIP Harry.
David Siegel
BRFite -Trainee

Post by David Siegel »

RIP Harry!! Very sad to note this news.