Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Gurinder P
BRFite

Re: Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

Post by Gurinder P »

Dmurphy wrote:Cross posting from Indian Navy thread
Singha wrote:the shallow green waters of andaman sea and south china sea are not really suitable for larger SSNs.
This stirs up a stupid sounding query in my mind. Say its war time, and China sends a large SSN in our waters and gets grounded in those shallow Andaman waters and our P8s detect it and ask them to surrender. If the chinkis refuse, is it wise to bomb the SSN out considering they're in our waters and it would be detrimental to our environment and populace if anything happens to the reactor inside the SSN?

I'd have a similar query about a nuclear bomber like B1 lancer flying over our territory? Would it be wise to shoot it down?
I would not be worried about a nuclear payload carrying bomber being shot because frankly the nuclear weapons are probably the best armored item in the bomber and more than the bomber itself since the warhead casing has to contain the fission reaction long enough for the internal temperature to reach 100 million centigrade for fusion to occur. So a drop from a few thousand feet will only dent it.

For the stranded enemy sub unwilling to surrender and the headache of green peace launching a second or third front, we can do the following. Lay a mine field around the sub and let the crew succumb to their watery graves.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Got this by email which I thought should be shared:
1/2 boy 1/2 man

The average age of the army man is 19 years.
He is a short haired, tight-muscled kid who, under normal circumstances is considered by society as half man, half boy. Not yet dry behind the ears, not old enough to buy a beer, but old enough to die for his country. He never really cared much for work and he would rather wax his own car than wash his father's, but he has never collected unemployment dole either.

He's a recent college graduate; he was probably an average student from one of the Kendriya Vidyalayas, pursued some form of sport activities, drives a ten year old jalopy, and has a steady girlfriend that either broke up with him when he left, or swears to be waiting when he returns from half a world away. He listens to rock and roll or hip -hop or country or gazals or swing and a 155mm howitzer.

He is 5 or 7 kilos lighter now than when he was at home because he is working or fighting the insurgents or standing gaurd on the icy Himalayas from before dawn to well after dusk or he is at Mumbai engaging the terrorists. He has trouble spelling, thus letter writing is a pain for him, but he can field strip a rifle in 30 seconds and reassemble it in less time in the dark. He can recite to you the nomenclature of a machine gun orgrenade launcher and use either one effectively if he must.

He digs foxholes and latrines and can apply first aid like a professional.
He can march until he is told to stop, or stop until he is told to march.
He obeys orders instantly and without hesitation, but he is not without spirit or individual dignity. His pride and self-respect, he does not lack.

He is self-sufficient.
He has two sets of combat dress: he washes one and wears the other.
He keeps his water bottle full and his feet dry.
He sometimes forgets to brush his teeth, but never to clean his rifle. He can cook his own meals, mend his own clothes, and fix his own hurts.

If you're thirsty, he'll share his water with you; if you are hungry, his food. He'll even split his ammunition with you in the midst of battle when you run low.

He has learned to use his hands like weapons and weapons like they were his hands.
He can save your life - or take it, because that is his job.
He will often do twice the work of a civilian, draw half the pay, and still find ironic humor in it all.
He has seen more suffering and death than he should have in his short lifetime.

He has wept in public and in private, for friends who have fallen in combat and is unashamed.

He feels every note of theJana Gana Mana vibrate through his body while at rigid attention, while tempering the burning desire to 'square-away' those around him who haven't bothered to stand, remove their hands from their pockets, or even stop talking.

In an odd twist, day in and day out, far from home, he defends their right to be disrespectful.
Just as did his Father, Grandfather, and Great-grandfather, he is paying the price for our freedom.

Beardless or not, he is not a boy.
He is your nation's Fighting Man that has kept this country free and defended your right to Freedom. He has experienced deprivation and adversity, and has seen his buddies falling to bullets and maimed and blown.

But,

He has asked nothing in return, except our acknowledgement of his existence and understanding of his human needs.
Remember him, always, for he has earned our respect and admiration with his blood.
And now we even have women over there in danger, doing their part in this tradition of going to War when our nation calls us to do so.

As you go to bed tonight, remember this shot. . ..
A short lull, a little shade and a picture of loved ones in their helmets.

Prayer wheel for our military... please don't break it Please send this on after a short prayer.

Prayer Wheel

'Lord, hold our Indian Army in your loving hands.
Protect them as they protect us.
Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform
for us in our time of need.

Amen.'

When you receive this, please stop for a moment and say a prayer
for our soldier, sailors , and airmen , in all frontiers
There is nothing attached...
This can be very powerful...
Of all the gifts you could give a Soldier, Sailor, or Airman,
prayer is the very best one.
Mohit A
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mohit A »

^^^^marvelous
Wickberg
BRFite

Post by Wickberg »

I´m a "newbie" but still I have managed to anger a lot of people here and some of you might even heard of me (and rightfully hate me). My goal, or what I am trying to achieve, is not being hated or acting like some kind of renegade. I am what I am and who I am is the result of mine life, that being said it does not mean I can´t change myself and develop and learn more. Some people say "- You can´t teach old dogs new tricks." That is so wrong, every day we learn something new and develops, you can call it experience, I just call it living.

I thought I just post a short video showing my military service. This is from KA 5 Härnösand and the 6th Amphibious Battalion. I did my service along with these guys (they are anti-air platoon and I was in mortar platoon/coy) at the same time. You even see me in one of the photos (not telling you which). But we did the same basic training and shared the same shitty conditions. Brothers in arms...

(yeah, I know the music does´nt belong there. We are marines, not army.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUau7IonCjw
Arya Sumantra
BRFite

Post by Arya Sumantra »

Gurus, Just like we have a litening pod, is it possible to have a radar pod for planes without radars such as trainers etc and sling them with a2g munitions and bvr aams ? The pod could also be slung onto aerostats(like the one drdo made recently) etc as a payload perhaps. Also it could be useful for fighters that have a good predominantly a2a radar but not good for a2g, the pod could become a secondary radar used for a2g while the primary radar in the nose used for a2a. It could either be pesa type or aesa(swash plate type).

Eventually an L-band pod could be developed as an optional carry on for 4th gen fighters.
Last edited by Arya Sumantra on 24 Jan 2011 11:51, edited 1 time in total.
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

Having said that yes operation in littoral waters comes with a risk of higher chances of being detected as against operating in midst of Indian ocean.
I am a little unsure about this sir.
I thought it is harder to detect a Sub in littoral waters as the clutter will be more then to detect one in deep waters.
Also, i believe it will be easief for MAD devices to detect a sub in deep waters then in shallow waters.
jimmy_moh
BRFite

Post by jimmy_moh »

i have a newbie doubt.... after NDA/IMA/OTA.. in what manner cadets are get commisioned to different regiments... is it kind of random or each regiment have any criteria...?
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

jimmy_moh wrote:i have a newbie doubt.... after NDA/IMA/OTA.. in what manner cadets are get commisioned to different regiments... is it kind of random or each regiment have any criteria...?
You can give your preference. The preference is given consideration but there is no guarantee that it will be accepted. Leave alone regiments, even the corps has no surety. So, in the end you can only hope that you get your desired regiment.

Of course, if you volunteer for Para. Then you get to wear that distinction during your passing out parade. Also, you have to fill another form relieving Army of any responsibility if anything unfortunate occurs during your training.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Arya Sumantra wrote: is it possible to have a radar pod for planes without radars such as trainers etc and sling them with a2g munitions and bvr aams ?
I am no radar guru but was trying to do a lot of radar related reading a few weeks ago and I recall a comment from Prodyut Das which was something like "Every inch added to radar diameter adds 1 mile (or 10 miles or something) to its range."

IOW the size of the radar antenna is crucial. In a pylon-slung pod - that diameter may not be big enough for BVR work. Just my guess.
Arya Sumantra
BRFite

Post by Arya Sumantra »

True Shivji but it is not an alternative location to those which already have a big one in the nose. It would be good to have one on radarless AJTs and IJTs with bvrs/wvrs slung on them to fall back on in desperate times atleast roles like defending rest of the country when all the main fighters are busy on northern and western frontiers. Also to add better ground capabilities to air defence Mig 21s and do on Mig21s what nose job on Mirage III cheetah did for south africa, as an example.

Also during wartime there is no time to send fighters for upgrade overseas. This would be quickest way to improvise and add capability. A quote from wikipedia about Atlas Cheetah
Though the Mirage F1s were the most modern of the fleet, having been delivered from 1977 onwards, they were the primary element of South Africa's air defence and strike fleet and to withdraw them for an upgrade would have left an unacceptable gap in its air defence and strike capability.
If looking up for a2a, it would have a "blind spot" in the area where it sees the part of host aircraft's fuselage, but atleast the rest is visible and for a2g that wouldn't be a limitation.

Also if you look at Gripen's nose it isn't really big but a bigger dia is accomodated by inclining it on a rotating swash plate. Also the eff solah's nose dia isn't impressively big either.

A radar pod would be something intermediate between a litening pod dia and a drop tank dia.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Arya Sumantra wrote: A radar pod would be something intermediate between a litening pod dia and a drop tank dia.
I was doing a comparison of the base diameter of the nosecone of the Bundaar, J-10 ad Tejas and got a figure of something like 80-100 cm for all (can't recall the exact figure)

I am guessing that at least a 50 cm diameter would be achievable for something slung in a pod - maybe smaller for a trainer. I have no idea if anyone has attempted this.
Arya Sumantra
BRFite

Post by Arya Sumantra »

shiv wrote:
Arya Sumantra wrote: A radar pod would be something intermediate between a litening pod dia and a drop tank dia.
I was doing a comparison of the base diameter of the nosecone of the Bundaar, J-10 ad Tejas and got a figure of something like 80-100 cm for all (can't recall the exact figure)

I am guessing that at least a 50 cm diameter would be achievable for something slung in a pod - maybe smaller for a trainer.
My estimate of SA’s Mirage III cheetah nose is 89 cm dia.

How about an improvised version of rear looking radar used in flanker tail sting for the pod in trainers ? It seems just a bit smaller than the right size, could be made bigger and or more power perhaps for better range.

Found this from an old article(2005) posted on a forum http://www.freefalcon.com/forum/showthr ... case-study
Detection range, fighter-size target, tail-on 60 km
The Su-35 has also a small radar installed inside the sting between the engines and looking aft. Such an idea has been developing in Russia since the mid-1980s: rear-looking radars were installed on several prototypes of the 'old' Su-27M/Su-35 (N012 radar designed by NIIR Rassvet), to the MiG 1.42 (Rassvet N015) and to the Su-27IB (V005 radar by Leninets). At the same time, tests were made of air-to-air missiles launched rearward. The interest in this concept declined and only came back in the early 2000s. The Tikhomirov NIIP institute suggests for this purpose its passive phased-array radar Osa and is expected to announce a new active phased-array radar of this class within the next few months.
shiv wrote:I have no idea if anyone has attempted this.
There are always some firsts. New conflicts new precedents(Zoltan Dani). Whatever necessity demands.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

It occurs to me that many active radar guided missiles right from the 1950s have had their own seeker and compact seekers are available for police cars and small boats. Why not use a missile seeker as a radar?

The answer seems to be in the connection between radar detection range, beam width, frequency and antenna size. Lower frequencies are better for long range and require larger antennas. Shorter wavelengths (higher frequencies ) can do with smaller antenna sizes but are attenuated much more quickly and are useful for short ranges - sometimes as low as a few meters to a few km.
http://www.icxt.com/technology/infrared ... ral-bands/
The selection of a radar's operating frequency is generally the result of a trade-off analysis that considers desired detection range, weather and clutter environment, available aperture size, properties of targets of interest and cost of RF components.

Radar performance must first be quantified on the basis of propagation efficiency in various media (air, foliage and ground) with respect to the required detection range. The general principle is that the lower the frequency, the more efficient the propagation of radio waves through the medium. In the presence of obscurants, propagation is most favorable when the RF wavelength is much larger than the particle size composing the propagation medium. This is why radars tend to have much better performance than optical systems through smoke, dust, fog and rain.

However, using a lower frequency dictates a larger antenna for a given angular resolution.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/doc ... darsys.htm
the frequency of the radio carrier wave will also have some
affect on how the radar beam propagates. At the low frequency extremes, radar beams
will refract in the atmosphere and can be caught in "ducts" which result in long
ranges. At the high extreme, the radar beam will behave much like visible light and
travel in very straight lines. Very high frequency radar beams will suffer high
losses and are not suitable for long range systems.

The frequency will also affect the beam-width. For the same antenna size,
a low frequency radar will have a larger beam-width than a high frequency one.
In order to keep the beam-width constant, a low frequency radar will need a large
antenna.
And for stuff that goes above my head
http://www.radartutorial.eu/07.waves/wa04.en.html
E/F-Band (S-Band Radar)

The atmospheric attenuation is higher than in D-Band. Radar sets need a considerably higher transmitting power than in lower frequency ranges to achieve a good maximum range. As example given the Medium Power Radar (MPR) with a pulse power of up to 20 MW. In this frequency range the influence of weather conditions is higher than in D-band. Therefore a couple of weather radars work in E/F-Band, but more in subtropic and tropic climatic conditions, because here the radar can see beyond a severe storm.

Special Airport Surveillance Radars (ASR) are used at airports to detect and display the position of aircraft in the terminal area with a medium range up to 50…60 NM (≈100 km). An ASR detects aircraft position and weather conditions in the vicinity of civilian and military airfields. The designator S-Band (contrary to L-Band) is good as mnemonic rhyme as smaller antenna or shorter range.
G- Band (C-Band Radar)

In G- Band there are many mobile military battlefield surveillance, missile-control and ground surveillance radar sets with short or medium range. The size of the antennas provides an excellent accuracy and resolution, but the relatively small-sized antennas don't bother a fast relocation. The influence of bad weather conditions is very high. Therefore air-surveillance radars use an antenna feed with circular polarization often. This frequency band is predetermined for most types of weather radar used to locate precipitation in temperate zone like Europe.
I/J- Band (X- and Ku- Band Radars)

In this frequency-band (8 to 12 GHz) the relationship between used wave length and size of the antenna is considerably better than in lower frequency-bands. The I/J- Band is a relatively popular radar band for military applications like airborne radars for performing the roles of interceptor, fighter, and attack of enemy fighters and of ground targets. A very small antenna size provides a good performance. Missile guidance systems at I/J- band are of a convenient size and are, therefore, of interest for applications where mobility and light weight are important and very long range is not a major requirement.

This frequency band is wide used for maritime civil and military navigation radars. Very small and cheap antennas with a high rotation speed are adequate for a fair maximum range and a good accuracy. Slotted waveguide and small patch antennas are used as radar antenna, under a protective radome mostly.

This frequency band is also popular for spaceborne or airborne imaging radars based on Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) both for military electronic intelligence and civil geographic mapping. A special Inverse Synthetic Aperture Radar (ISAR) is in use as a maritime airborne instrument of pollution control.
K- Band (K- and Ka- Band Radars)

The higher the frequency, the higher is the atmospheric absorption and attenuation of the waves. Otherwise the achievable accuracy and the range resolution rise too. Radar applications in this frequency band provide short range, very high resolution and high data renewing rate. In ATM these radar sets are called Surface Movement Radar (SMR) or (as p. o.) Airport Surface Detection Equipment (ASDE). Using of very short transmitting pulses of a few nanoseconds affords a range resolution, that outline of the aircraft can be seen on the radars display.
Last edited by shiv on 26 Jan 2011 07:52, edited 1 time in total.
vasu_ray
BRFite

Post by vasu_ray »

while you guys are on this topic, what are the issues with mounting the CABS AEW&C radar on the carrier based Mig-29k trainer version with some high speed data links to the carrier for additional operators?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Chackojoseph's image of CABS AEW radar is linked below- and appears to be 8-9 meters long. That is half the length of a MiG 29 which does not appear to have the fuselage length to accommodate it above and the height below the belly to accommodate it below.
http://frontierindia.org/album/wp-conte ... _India.jpg
Last edited by shiv on 26 Jan 2011 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
vasu_ray
BRFite

Post by vasu_ray »

Shiv, the plan is to mount it on the spine of the Mig-29k, one mount point behind the pilot and the 2nd mount point somewhere close to the tail piece, not as a under slung pod

probably a single seater, the 8-9 metres is like the length of the brahmos which is shown to easily fit between the intake-engine longitudinal on the MKI, so above shouldn't be a problem
Last edited by vasu_ray on 26 Jan 2011 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

vasu_ray wrote:Shiv, the plan is to mount it on the spine of the Mig-29k, one mount point behind the 2nd pilot and the 2nd mount point somewhere close to the tail piece, not as a under slung pod
That is what I said. Please read my post again. I think it is too big. If you think it will work your expertise in the field may be better than mine - since mine is zero and I am merely stating my inexpert opinion. The tailfins will obstruct the "view" of the radar which defeats the purpose even if it were possible to mount it. And nothing is known in public about the weight.
vasu_ray
BRFite

Post by vasu_ray »

Brahmos required the MKI airframe be strengthened, so even the Mig-29k will have its weight limitations which can be worked on

the CABS radar is inclined vs the flight body and is mounted fairly high so the 2nd mount point can be designed to be folded while take-off and elevated above the tail height while in level/cruise flight

With the engines closely spaced relative the vehicle height, TVC might be helpful
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

vasu_ray wrote:Brahmos required the MKI airframe be strengthened, so even the Mig-29k will have its weight limitations which can be worked on

the CABS radar is inclined vs the flight body and is mounted fairly high so the 2nd mount point can be designed to be folded while take-off and elevated above the tail height while in level/cruise flight

With the engines closely spaced relative the vehicle height, TVC might be helpful
Ah! I see. A thrust vectoring MiG 29 with dorsally installed telescopic mounts to raise and lower the radar antenna holding the CABS radar to be used by the navy.

Nice. Very nice. Like transformers.
K_Rohit
BRFite

Post by K_Rohit »

Can WVRs be used to shoot down other missiles launched towards the aircraft? Almost a CIWS for the aircraft?
vasu_ray
BRFite

Post by vasu_ray »

Here are some Transformers:

[img]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Atlan ... rcraft.jpg
[/img]

From Wiki:

Flying with the additional drag and weight of the Orbiter imposes significant fuel and altitude penalties. The range is reduced to 1,000 nautical miles (1,850 km), compared to an unladen range of 5500 nautical miles (10,100 km),[3] requiring an SCA to stop several times to refuel on a transcontinental flight.

http://www.boeing.com/Features/2010/12/ ... 10_10.html

As with the 747, one can choose to find a nice fit between the above two extremes, given that the Mig-29k has a payload capability of 5.5 tons
Arya Sumantra
BRFite

Post by Arya Sumantra »

vasu_ray wrote:Shiv, the plan is to mount it on the spine of the Mig-29k, one mount point behind the pilot and the 2nd mount point somewhere close to the tail piece, not as a under slung pod

probably a single seater, the 8-9 metres is like the length of the brahmos which is shown to easily fit between the intake-engine longitudinal on the MKI, so above shouldn't be a problem
The fighter has a RF transparent glass canopy through which all your radar emissions will come into the cockpit. As to how it will interfere with instruments, we don't know. They make you switch off even a small emitter cellphone on passenger flights whereas here you have a radar. And that too right behind pilot's head ! Although pilot would be wearing the conducting helmet but am not sure if it is grounded. Else sparks could appear between helmet and radar just like how they would if you left a metal spoon in a bowl in a microwave. Slinging underneath is better idea provided it is small enough. There was our first AEW radome mounted on a retired plane that crashed because the altered aerodynamics due to radome mounting were not taken into account.
Arya Sumantra
BRFite

Post by Arya Sumantra »

shiv wrote:It occurs to me that many active radar guided missiles right from the 1950s have had their own seeker and compact seekers are available for police cars and small boats. Why not use a missile seeker as a radar?
Active homing aams have transceivers(transmitter-receivers) but afaik even these aams are command guided via datalink upto a certain distance by host fighter’s radar and only in its terminal phase or perhaps a little earlier is the aam guided by its own radar. So the range of aam’s radar is not as big as the range of the missile as it cannot guide it from the time it leaves the wing. The split guidance works fine given that nose of aam is so small for its radar. Also such emitters cannot track multiple targets I believe as they have only one victim to target.

Signal to Noise Ratio(SNR) varies as square of wavelength. If you reduce the wavelength to enable smaller aperture size the ratio will deteriorate as a square affecting the range.
-------------------------

There are 2 approaches that could be used inspite of a weak radar.

Approach 1: Assisted search
The analogy is searching in a huge dark conference hall illuminated only by a small ceiling bulb with a torch in hand. The faint illumination of ceiling bulb gives you a rough idea and which direction to go looking for and the torch in hand better illuminates the local area you are searching. The combination should work out better than scanning with a torch alone in a huge dark hall.
If a ground based mobile radar or airborne AEW guides in datalink with a trainer points out coordinates of threat to trainer and then switches off for safety, the trainer with its smaller radar can dash off towards coordinates and upon proximity it can use its own radar to narrow down threat precisely.

Approach 2: Shoot in the direction of emitter
This has been talked about on keypubs wherein the yanks say that when opponent in a dark room uses the torch you keep yours off and shoot in the direction of light. The trainer in this case with a weaker radar could still have a very sensitive receiver that would detect the emissions from enemy and upon not finding IFF signal could shoot in the direction of incoming radar waves.
One doubt I have however is that how would the trainer with its shorter range radar communicate its IFF to say a MKI returning home and avoid getting shot friendly?

Regardless of approaches used the datalink must be implemented on trainers as well.
-------------------------

If the dish is aesa type, you can accommodate a larger size elliptical dish in a smaller dia pod by inclining the dish by an angle (theta) equal to maximum beam steering angle possible by its modules.

I still believe that if aesa type is not available, then flanker tail sting radar is right size though range needs to be worked upon. But for trainer’s pod we don’t need uber high specs, only need to reach target close to the specs of bandar’s radar(KLJ-7)
Look-up: >105 km (for RCS of 5 m2)
Look-down: >85 km (for RCS of 5 m2) (from wikipedia)

Su34 Fullback’s sting is the biggest among flankers- 70 cm in my estimate.
For the dimensions we are looking at, should inquire for specs of these 3 radars used in flanker stings/Light fighter nose - Pharaon, Rassvet No12, Tikhomirov OSA

Phazotron - Pharaon
http://www.janes.com/articles/Janes-Avi ... mpany.html
Pharaon is a new multifunction X-band (NATO I-/J-band) airborne fighter radar, designed to offer comprehensive air-to-air and air-to-ground capabilities. Pharaon is a relatively lightweight radar marketed as a nose fire-control radar for light fighters, or as the tail cone radar for heavy fighter aircraft.
Phazotron/Rassvet N012
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=sg
N012 OKB: NIIR Rassvet Tail radar used on Su-35/37 operating at decimetric wavelengths which is installed in the long tail boom between the tail pipes. This radar forms part of the aircraft's defensive aids sub-systems suite (DASS) and warns the crew of approaching threats in the rear hemisphere as well as controlling active and passive jamming responses to such threats. Claimed to have a range of 50km for a 3 sq m RCS fighter, or 100km for a large aircraft. Scans 60° in azimuth and elevation.
Last of all, the rear boom of the Su-35BM, mentioned above, will also house a radar, smaller in size and facing to the rear. For now, the choice remains open. It is known that Sukhoi has already tested the N012 rear-facing radar of NIIR Rassvet of Ryazan on its Su-27M's, a simple alert device functioning in decimeter waves. The same Rassvet has tested the N015 radar on the MiG 1-42, in centimeter waves and capable of designating targets with missiles that can be fired to the rear.

Tikhomirov is already offering its Osa electronic scanning rear face radar and is announcing an active-antenna version of it for the end of the year. In the same category, Phazotron has had the Pharaoh (or Kopyo-F) radar in its product range for several years, and last April in Moscow presented a Kopyo-DL active-antenna version in the decimeter band, the caliber of which adapts to the rear boom of the Su-35.
The drop tank dia of Hawk AJT in my estimates is 40 cm. A bit too small. Either a slightly bigger one could be developed or the current one be used for modification shown below. SH already does this for its IRST which is mounted on a drop tank. If the radar back end gets too heated the probe could either be rid off or better insulated and partition can be made wider to easily avoid fuel from reaching flash point. Standardize this drop tank for IJT Sitara as well.

Auxiliary application: The flanker tail sting radar could also be used to convert Akash into an active homing sam from a command guided sam so that its guiding radar on ground can switch off after initial guidance and move to safety while the onboard radar takes over.

------------
shiv wrote: And for stuff that goes above my head
http://www.radartutorial.eu/07.waves/wa04.en.html
E/F-Band (S-Band Radar)
The atmospheric attenuation is higher than in D-Band.
…………………………………………
Radar applications in this frequency band provide short range, very high resolution and high data renewing rate. In ATM these radar sets are called Surface Movement Radar (SMR) or (as p. o.) Airport Surface Detection Equipment (ASDE). Using of very short transmitting pulses of a few nanoseconds affords a range resolution, that outline of the aircraft can be seen on the radars display.
Am not an Elec engg guy either. Describing “eccentricities” of different range of wavelengths(bands) and how they differ especially in terms of absorbance(range-limiting), scattering, detection equipment compactness(detection materials(bandgap) are wavelength specific) even though they all fall within RF. rest is beyond me too

JMT
Arya Sumantra
BRFite

Post by Arya Sumantra »

Mig 21 has a nose cone base of about 46 cm dia and russkies offer a Kopyo radar that can fire R77, good enough for trainer pod, although it is a pulse doppler type
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

jamwal wrote:Can someone please post the exact coordinates of places in PoK where Chinese construction is going on ?
Bump!

How many tank regiments can be possibly adjusted in a single base ? Not the whole Strike Corps kind, but on a smaller size.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

vasu_ray wrote:Shiv, the plan is to mount it on the spine of the Mig-29k, one mount point behind the pilot and the 2nd mount point somewhere close to the tail piece, not as a under slung pod

Here is what your aircraft would look like
(Click on image to enlarge)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Arya Sumantra wrote: Phazotron/Rassvet N012
N012 OKB: NIIR Rassvet Tail radar used on Su-35/37 operating at decimetric wavelengths which is installed in the long tail boom between the tail pipes. This radar forms part of the aircraft's defensive aids sub-systems suite (DASS) and warns the crew of approaching threats in the rear hemisphere as well as controlling active and passive jamming responses to such threats. Claimed to have a range of 50km for a 3 sq m RCS fighter, or 100km for a large aircraft. Scans 60° in azimuth and elevation.
The F-18 E/F has a radar signature of 1 sq meter and would be detectable only at a range of something far less than 50 km. But the F-15 is said to have a RCS of 100 sq m.

IOW unstealthy objects - even airliners would be detectable from a long distance, but recognition of threats, leave alone engagement would not be possible with such a small radar. Modern fighters would not be detectable until too late and in any case would be undetectable over 300 degrees of a circle - outside the 60 degree arc.

It seems to me that a small pod mounted radar might be better off as designator of ground targets at ranges of 20-30 km rather than an air interception radar. JMT
vasu_ray
BRFite

Post by vasu_ray »

After Arya Sumatra's objection to the radar being really close to the pilot, a UAV works better

so here is Nishant,

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORC ... ewsIndex=1

a brand new UAV with a boxy airframe like the Nishant that is capable of carrier launch, is larger, has more endurance and enough power, wings made of RF transparent material, the planar radar arrays would fit like below,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:111_Sqn_G550_CAEW.JPG

jai
BRFite

Post by jai »

Why do we maintain separate forces to man different parts of Indian International Border - BSF, ITBP, SSB, and Assam Rifles and not a single force - BSF for example ? Are there any legal or political reasons ?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

vasu_ray wrote:a UAV works better
So the crew are a waste of time and space then?

An Aerostat would be cheaper and you could use 10 of them at different places for the price of one of these.
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

In the Military Scenario thread, a lot of air fights involve airplanes launching bvr missiles and then having to break formation (to avoid enemy bvr) which causes the missile to lose guidance. Would it not be possible for AWACS to guide these missiles while the fighter aircraft breaks for safety ?
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

^^ Ji,
The fighters break formation only when the missiles reach terminal guidance stages, where their own seeker gets active and starts tracking the enemy. The few missiles which do not go active lose guidance. That's all.
I am not sure about whether an AWACS can guide them or not.
aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

I have a question.
Why dont conventionally powered submarines carry nuclear tipped missiles ?
jai
BRFite

Post by jai »

aniket wrote:I have a question.
Why dont conventionally powered submarines carry nuclear tipped missiles ?
Although I am not an expert ..I would think this must be due to size and weight considerations - with nuclear subs being much much larger - they can accommodate a sizable number of heavy and long IRBM/ICBM class missiles; and due to stealth - nuclear subs can stay submerged deeper for long periods of time.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Gurneesh wrote:In the Military Scenario thread, a lot of air fights involve airplanes launching bvr missiles and then having to break formation (to avoid enemy bvr) which causes the missile to lose guidance. Would it not be possible for AWACS to guide these missiles while the fighter aircraft breaks for safety ?
Generally (if not all) AEWACS use L-BAND radars. While they are excellent for detection purposes, they cannot track the target with enough precision to guide the BVRAAMs. This is because of the high wavelength of L-BAND.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

aniket, check soviet golf class. endurance, size etc mean that a meaningful load requires a large sub, usually 8000t +.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

I have a pooch. Is there any "open source" material which discusses any fighter's ability to fire a missile while another one is tracking it?
Thanks.

PS: I am talking about both the firer and the tracker being fighters.
Nandan D
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Nandan D »

Unrelated to any of the above questions.

From reading various books (none of Paki origin), the general impression I get is that during the Indo-Pak wars, the IA has had trouble defending the Chamb sector.
If true, does anyone know why?

Does the terrain favor the Pakistani side? I know there is a river, and at some point IA controlled both sides. Shouldn't the river crossing make it difficult for the PA and be to the IA's advantage?

Any insight would be appreciated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chamb101.jpg
vasu_ray
BRFite

Post by vasu_ray »

shiv wrote:
vasu_ray wrote:a UAV works better
So the crew are a waste of time and space then?

An Aerostat would be cheaper and you could use 10 of them at different places for the price of one of these.
And about the wacko-aew, the tail plane can be made with RF transparent material like composites so that Transformers can be avoided while the aerodynamics of this configuration are validated in a wind tunnel model. Except for the sad accident, they could still revive the idli style AEW radome developed by CABS increasing the separation from the pilot.

Anyways, the long lead time UAV solution is preferable for a STOBAR Carrier situation and requires high speed data-links which the AESA radar can double as, however the ships coordinates are easily revealed due to continuous transmission

The situational awareness may not be as good as a manned platform while high seas require 360 degree watch, the ground based AEW operate within the country's borders with specific watch zones

UAVs evasion maneuvers or tactics are poor compared to a manned platform; which might mean more UAV nos needed for the same task or make up with better endurance

The Aerostats need tethers and on high seas may not work without anchors, wireless data link tether to the UAVs is suitable

Blimps with Wankel engines? might work but do not have any sort of defensive aids
Arya Sumantra
BRFite

Post by Arya Sumantra »

shiv wrote: Modern fighters would not be detectable until too late and in any case would be undetectable over 300 degrees of a circle - outside the 60 degree arc.
Blind spots for some areas will always be there in any radar not in the nose. How about the L-band emitters in Pak-fa's wings ? Although there seem to be quite a number of such units on each wing but individual units do seem small. One may not need as long a range as Pakfa's. An L-band pod could be useful for other main fighters as well. Range seems to be good but resolution bad for that band.

JMT